Sig Effect Suggestion Thread

Yep, this is where you go to suggest new signature effects.

When you suggest a new effect, please provide a thorough description and one or more examples of how it would work in practice. Do this, and we'll try to find a way to balance the new effect, then add it to the list if possible. Either way, expect to get a "we can or can't add it" response to your suggestion within a week (or two if there are a lot of suggestions). We'll be using that time to test it.

So, suggest away!

Leon says: Don't PM Pally, or anyone else on the staff for that matter, about your suggestions here. Pally and the rest of us will take a look, and if the idea is deemed interesting, it will be taken and be run through some tests.

From this point on, anyone who bugs about us not responding to their idea for effects will get a punch in the face.

Twi sez: And by a punch in the face, he means a nice, big warn.
Okay... here are some.

Flight: like Float/Airshoes, plus either melee attacks are less accurate or cannot hit at all
*Suddenly, Kitsune levitates high off the ground, causing the Swordy's attack to fall short*

Secondary target: sort of the reverse of splash/spread. Instead of a chance of damage to others if hit, a chance of lesser damage to a random target if you happen to miss. Like if you are firing a gun and someone ducks, if there is someone behind them, it would probably hit them.

enemy nerf: lower 1 enemy's attack, accuracy, or speed. Or, inflict a bug that causes 5% extra damage from attacks.

Lethargy: makes enemy tired. They attack less, have lower dodging success and/or may be "dumber"

IQ drop: enemies hit with this status become "stupid", making dumber decisions.
*the Metool charges right up to MetaKnightMan... and collides with his sword, which MetaKnightMan was pointing at the virus the whole time. Ouch!*

Zombify: ... they... become a zombie. Effects are anti-recovery, and probably aversion to fire (I don't mean extra damage. Possibly extra damage, but mainly, they are scared of it.).
*the rotting virus tries to heal itself, but instead takes damage. Suddenly, it is hit by Kitsune's FireBall1, sending it reeling. It runs away from the fire... directly into the slow but powerful TurtleBomb2.*

Note: I know that the chips I used are not real. They are just used as examples.

I suggested this a while back, but I'd like to see a Damage Shield effect. Enemy hits Player with Damage Shield. Enemy takes X damage. Something like that.

Something else I'd like to see brought into play might be a little hard to do. Regulating factors. By limiting the effects of a sig, you can get more out of it. I remember seeing someone do something about a barrier that only affects fire damage? That seemed like a great idea. I'd like to see something done with it, but how to properly handle regulating factors might be too difficult to handle, as it'd probably affect each ability some different way.

Quote ()

Flight: like Float/Airshoes, plus either melee attacks are less accurate or cannot hit at all

While sigs cannot be based on chips, they can be based on or boosted by the Navi Customizer.

If you want this effect, you need to purchase Floatshoes and Airshoes, then construct a sig with Dodges, Tactical Movement, and such.

There will be no ways around using the NC to fly.

Quote ()

Secondary target: sort of the reverse of splash/spread. Instead of a chance of damage to others if hit, a chance of lesser damage to a random target if you happen to miss. Like if you are firing a gun and someone ducks, if there is someone behind them, it would probably hit them.

This is how the game already works. You just need to find yourself in a situation where this is possible. I'm not going to make people pay for something they can do for free if the conditions are right.

Before you worry that this is just a bash, it may not be clear to everyone that this is possible: hitting a target behind the guy you're shooting at if he bails. Well, for the record, this is very much possible. You just have to be in a situation with all the right conditions to do it.

Quote ()

enemy nerf: lower 1 enemy's attack, accuracy, or speed. Or, inflict a bug that causes 5% extra damage from attacks.

Lower enemy's accuracy: Blind
Lower enemy's speed (speed being dodge): Slow
Lower enemy's speed (speed being actions): Stun or Freeze
Extra Damage from attacks: Curse (In development. Not added to the list yet.)

I need a more specific use, description, or example to be able to do anything with it, because the generalized version seen here could be made out of existing effects. Sorry.

Quote ()

Lethargy: makes enemy tired. They attack less, have lower dodging success and/or may be "dumber"

(Slow + Stun) or (Slow + Berserk)

I need a more specific use, description, or example to be able to do anything with it, because the generalized version seen here could be made out of existing effects.

Quote ()

Zombify: ... they... become a zombie. Effects are anti-recovery, and probably aversion to fire (I don't mean extra damage. Possibly extra damage, but mainly, they are scared of it.).

Alright, I'll look into this one.

So, "Zombify" is now on my list of things to test.

Quote (Tom)

I suggested this a while back, but I'd like to see a Damage Shield effect. Enemy hits Player with Damage Shield. Enemy takes X damage. Something like that.

I like this particular idea. Something akin to (forgive the old reference) Diablo 2's Paladin's Thorns Aura? That would be pretty cool to have. Perhaps something that delivers a status effect instead of damage, like stun or blind or something? It'd be powerful, but certainly cool.

And I like Zombify as well, it just seems to me that there wouldn't be too much point to it. In games such as Final Fantasy, you put Zombie on something to give it a weakness. Here, the two most viable methods of healing are Recov chips, and the Convert abilty. Now, most chips do much better jobs at damage, and are cheaper, than Recov, but Convert would be completely pointless, as you could do more damage by not converting it anyway. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
I like the idea too. I'll get with some of the other staff and work on it.

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

Now, most chips do much better jobs at damage, and are cheaper, than Recov, but Convert would be completely pointless, as you could do more damage by not converting it anyway. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

A Recover 500 against a Zombie soes a lot more damage than most combinations of sigs.

Anyway, onto my sugestions.

One thing I would like to see is a Charm efect. A more powerful version of Confusion, the viri becomes your best freind and attacks other viri. It is naturaly very expensive per turn, and enemies with more than 100hp cannot be effected. Imediatly reverts to hostile if you or your allies attack it.

Also, I would like to see an effect (more of a nerf really) that lets you sacrifice zenny for a boost, sort of like the old Toss Gil of FF# fame. In those games, every Gil did one damage, but our hps are radically lower, so that scale should be changed really.
this is my big one, some other people(meeleman?) thought it would a fun thing to have:

Fear: lowers attack accuracy and chance of being attacked(enimies attack 1/2 as often)

Meleeman let out a fierce roar, scareing seveal metools into stopping their attacks

and the opposite:

Taunt: makes an enemy target more likely to attack you

AniMay stuck out her tounge, distracting the cannondums from gorrila_warfare, who has extremly low health

also cause of gurps:

Flare: Attack damage goes to area around navi (Splash around navi instead of around target)

Heatman let out a blast of heat, scorching the enimies around him

ooooo
oxooo
ooHoo
ooxoo
ooooX

guide: o=emptiy, x = hit enimey, X = missed enimey, H = heatman
I BRING YOU A NERF

Shaking arms: Lowers accuracy by one rank. Cannot go below rank E

Also, heres something else! An element based status effect!

Root'd: Navi is locked to the ground, making dodges rank E. Is canceled with a sword/fire type attack. Wood types cannot be root'd

Also, lets make freeze canceled by fire? or use this

Frozen: Navi is locked in ice, they cannot take damage. Ice counts as a X-hit shield based on the rank of the attack. Anything that bypasses barriers/objects still do damage. Is canceled by a fire type attack or a break type attack. When a break attack is made on a frozen navi it does double damage. Water types cannot be frozen.

and....

Burning: Navi is on fire. Navi can take a turn to try and put it out, or it will be canceled by a water type attack. During the time the navi is burning the navi takes 10 damage a turn from burn damage. Fire types cannot be burned.

Quote (Zolem)

One thing I would like to see is a Charm efect. A more powerful version of Confusion, the viri becomes your best freind and attacks other viri. It is naturaly very expensive per turn, and enemies with more than 100hp cannot be effected. Imediatly reverts to hostile if you or your allies attack it.

Also, I would like to see an effect (more of a nerf really) that lets you sacrifice zenny for a boost, sort of like the old Toss Gil of FF# fame. In those games, every Gil did one damage, but our hps are radically lower, so that scale should be changed really.

i would just LOVE to see those effects in the game.
That Aura of Throns-esque idea intrigues me. I think a counter effect would work wonderfully really. Like if a virus attacks you, they are dealt damage. This would be a set amount or based on the virus' attack strength.

Another thing I was looking into would be a redirection effect.

Ex: Runeknight uses Rune Shield. Spikey attacks. Fireball is redirected to hit Spikey or another virus. Perhaps for full damage or maybe half damage. I used to have a sigattk that absorbed all attacks aimed at Runeknight for one turn(Cap of 90) and then redirected half the total dmg to one target. Perhaps we could make an effect that would incorporate that.
Whokay...

Damage reduction (20/instance/round stacking rules apply): Reduces dmg received by 4. Impact reduces the remaining duration by 1 (if duration reaches 0, it instantly ends, and does NOT apply to the attack that caused it to end).

Damage return (melee/ranged?): (20/instance/round stacking rules apply): returns 5 dmg every time you are hit. Break reduces the remaining duration by 1 (if duration reaches 0, it instantly ends, and does NOT apply to the attack that caused it to end).

Variable (10/variation). You can choose to make a stronger version of the base sig by applying nerfs on the spot. You have to choose a nerf and an effect (that can not cost more than the nerf) in conjunction with this ability. When using the sig you can choose if you'd use the "base" sig, or the boosted one. Note: the total nerfs in the sig and all the variables added up CAN NOT go above the nerf cap.

Example: normnavi has 100 sig points, and decides to make a sig called "hard hitter", that deals 70 dmg and stuns for 1 action. He wants to spice it up a bit, so he adds a variable to it with the nerf of charge time(30), and the effect of stun(30). The base dmg has to be lowered to 60 with stun tough, to pay for the variable effect, but now norm can charge his punch to stun for an extra action if he wants to. After a bit of thinking, he adds the effect again (lowering the base to 50 and stun), so now he can charge it twice for 2 extra stuns, equaling a total of 3 actions taken away.

Drawback: Chain action (10/actions chained). This sig has to follow a series of other actions predetermined at its creation. The actions can be: buster attack (both normal and charge), buster charge, use of a specified sig (sigs that are the same/have the same effect are interchangeable), use of a specified type of chip (as in sword, cursor, gun, etc...), in order.

Example: if you get 20 points of this drawback, you'll have to choose 2 actions (such as 2 attacks with a sword type chip), you can only use this chips immediately after you have attacked with a sword type chip twice.

Drawback: Charge burner (30/charges burned). This signature feeds off your buster charges, and can only be activated when you have the sufficient number of charges to use it. Keep in mind that should your buster be disabled, this signature becomes useless as well.

And now, for the main event... the NCP series! I'm hoping for new NCPs but this is the next best thing I can come up with^^

NCP quick uninstall: (20/5 NC points). Uninstalls own NCP of your choice (up to the point limit). Keep in mind that uninstalling HP+ programs can easily kill you.

NCP quick install: (20/5 NC points) Installs an NCP of your choice. You must have enough free space for the installation (and of course you must also have the NCP...).

Drawback: NC boost. (20/5 NC points) This sig is an integral part of your navi, so much, that it needs to be installed in his/her NC. You have to allocate NC points to this sig when creating it, and the sig can only be used if it has enough points allocated to it. Naturally, should your NC become crushed, or the sig uninstalled, the sig will stop functioning. Points allocated to a sig cannot be uninstalled when the sig is in cooldown.

Thats it for now I guess...
Well, really I was hoping for something a bit more general for the Counter DMG Effect...Perhaps paying for a turn instead of per hit or instance.

Ideally, I would like something like:

Counter DMG ~ ?? Points per turn. Reflects half of intended DMG back at user.

Ex: Navi uses SigAttk with DMG Counter. Spikey attacks. Navi is hit for 30 DMG, Spikey is hit for 15.

Now, I say intended DMG because I don't think that barriers, auras or DMG reduction should weaken this effect.

Now, Knight, where are you getting your numbers for DMG Reduction? 20 points per 4 DR seems pretty weak, doesn't it? You might as well just create a passive healing sig.

I say that DMG reduction either works on a 1-1 ratio, as Demon currently says it does, or at the very least the same ratio as healing.
Knight....those are actually kind of sad. Zanallen has the right kind of idea in my opinion. You still take the damage, but they take a certain percentage of the damage in return. However, here is the kind of format I had in mind.

Reflect ?? (per level/ per turn): Each level inflicts 10% of any intended damaged from an attack back at the attacker, for any number of attacks during the turns this sig is activated. If made passive, only applies to either melee or ranged attacks (chosen at time of creation and cannot be changed thereafter). You may not have two passive versions of this effect.

In the apove example, a level 5 Reflect would reflect back 50% of the damage, but would probably be expensive and maybe only last a turn or two. On the other hand, a level two could reflect 20% and last for three more turns. I also made it intended damage so that defensive sigs don't make this less of an option. This effect does not reduce damage itself.

The passive version is limited to either melee or ranged for game balance purposes. For example, Spineyman is covered with spines, dealing 20% of damage to meleee attackers, but those spines do nothing for ranged attacks. Shinyman is super reflective, and reflects back 20% of ranged attacks, but can't do anything about melee. If an opponent, say Uberman, could reflect back 20% of both passivly, with a couple recovery chips he could easily outlast any opponent.
You might want to think about it again. Dmg reduce works on every hit that turn, meaning that it can become a lot better than a simple regen.
Same for Dmg return, which also works for every hit, and its also round based. I don't know where you get the idea that its per hit O.o I mean, I copied the beginning straight out from the current effects list

I don't know how a % based would work.... I feel that would be far too hard to keep under control, but then again, that might only be me >.>
Query: To go along with the counter idea, why not a parry as well? Like...

Parry: ??Pts (likely either for use with Counter or, if stand-alone, would be the step up from it) : Disrupts an attack, such that it redirects some of the attack's power back at the attacker. Essentially Dodge+Counter.

Ex: Duelist is attacked by Swordy. Using his rapier, he jabs at the virus' sword as it approaches him, twirling it to the side before stabbing at his foe.

Swordy attacks Duelist for 30(I think. Irrelevant nonetheless), but Duelist parries, avoiding the attack and dealing 15 damage to the virus.
That depends on what you are fighting Knight. I figure, the absolutely most a Navi will get hit for 1 turn is.....Six times or so? That's 24 points of DMG Reduction for 20 points toward the cap. That's only slightly better than a passive Regen SigAttk and with far less use as, if you don't get hit, DMG Reduction doesn't go into effect while the Regen would.

So...Even if it is only slightly, those numbers for DMG Reduction should be buffed. Probably the counter numbers as well.

((For my example, let us assume that both the DMG Reduction and the Regen are passive and that the Navi in question has 4 actions))
The power of dmg reduction is that they counter multihits effectively; multihits being possibly the most damaging strategy in the games, although, I'm not sure how well they would fare here >.>

Then again, numbers can always be changed
on the reversal series, why not have this one?

Disarm: with a very low chance/good rping, the enemies attack is canceled, but instead of damage returned, the navi is stunned. if the chip is multi hit or use, the chip is destroyed and all attacks are canceled afterwards. high point cost, but not as high as a crash.

Example: Sojo brought his sword down heavily on the base of Void's sword, knocking it out of his hand.

Quote ()

Disarm: 20 [Removes Traps]

Although I do kinda of like the effect of your suggestion.