The Halo

I recently got a record of 31 points in a life as Soldier, and 23 points in a life as Spy.
I was quite pleased.

Not quite as pleased as the one time, before I reset my stats, mind you, that I got a 34 point life as spy, but pleased nonetheless.

Quote (Leon)

Hiko's Arguement: I am angry because developers are developing this game some and happened to let a few bugs slip. How dare they not have it perfect. I'm sure no company ever has ever had a mistake that made it through one of their patches ever. So how dare Steam, who I paid upwards of teens of dollars for a single game, who hosts and distributes and develops numerous games, let a single one get messed up for one day. Bastards.

I'm also angry at authority, because they dared to tell ME that I'M wrong. The nerve of them. I'm going to throw a fit about nothing consequential to try and make my e-peen grow, like I always do, but instead of being passive aggressive like usual I'm flat out going to be obnoxious and try to prove a point that is totally wrong and not in my rights to complain about since I agreed to the ToS.

My Arguement: STFU and get over it, the only reason this is conversation is still going on is because pissants like you keep QQ'ing, despite the fact that you've been proven flat wrong.

u mad
Mad? No. Sick of you always pulling the same thing on everyone? Yes.

I'm glad that you're an effective troll, seeing as how you'll never amount to anything in life since you can't accept something as simple as being wrong.

Quote (Leon)

Mad? No. Sick of you always pulling the same thing on everyone? Yes.

I'm glad that you're an effective troll, seeing as how you'll never amount to anything in life since you can't accept something as simple as being wrong.

I won't accept that I'm wrong because I obviously still agree with my former opinion. Also, it's not like there aren't people who support me.

You're getting obnoxiously upset over this by the way. Chill out. You don't need to beat down 15-year-olds on the Internet.

Quote (Hiko)

I won't accept that I'm wrong because I obviously still agree with my former opinion. Also, it's not like there aren't people who support me.

You're getting obnoxiously upset over this by the way. Chill out. You don't need to beat down 15-year-olds on the Internet.

It doesn't matter who supports you. People supported Hitler, so clearly he must've been right. Oh wait...
I find myself agreeing with Leon and Drakim with a healthy dose of agreement for Geki. It's a game. Get over it. No amount of whining over how you lost the crap that you didn't deserve to have in the first place is going to make Valve feel sorry for you.
holy cow, everything's exploded...

I'd like to point out that you could do the exact same thing the program does by taping the "move forward button" down, making you constantly move and not cause the third party program error...

I can see how breaking the game with this 'standing still' thing to get more weapons can screw stuff up( cause it's like aimbots or gold farming bots in wow), but I still think that if the system rolls a weapon or item you own,. it should re-roll it so you get something different...

srsly I could melt down my backburners and build a gundam out of them...

Quote (Niax)

holy cow, everything's exploded...

I'd like to point out that you could do the exact same thing the program does by taping the "move forward button" down, making you constantly move and not cause the third party program error...

I can see how breaking the game with this 'standing still' thing to get more weapons can screw stuff up( cause it's like aimbots or gold farming bots in wow), but I still think that if the system rolls a weapon or item you own,. it should re-roll it so you get something different...

srsly I could melt down my backburners and build a gundam out of them...

EXPLANATION:

1: It doesn't matter if you sit still, move, spectate, kill things, or just die repeatedly. It's completely random.

2: The 'third party program error'? What? There's no 'third party program error'.

3: Uh, how is it a bot...? All the program did was, effectively, tell Steam you were playing TF2, and then tell it you were logged into a server-- doing nothing. The exact same result, albeit with 10 times more system resources being eaten up and 10 times more idle servers hogging space, can be done by logging in to TF2, finding an idle server (Or any server) and just... letting it run.

Doesn't matter. Against TOS. Stop whining. Its a game.
Here, I was about to let this damn topic die...

Quote ()

It doesn't matter who supports you. People supported Hitler, so clearly he must've been right. Oh wait...

OH MY, IF IT ISN'T GODWIN'S LAW!

Do you like fun? Do you know who else liked fun? HITLER!

or

Guess what? You support Valve. VALVE IS LIKE HITLER!

And you know who broke the rules? Robin Hood.
And you know who bitched about things until they got better? Mahatma Ghandi/Martin Luther King.

Yes, most of the people bitching about this are butthurt because they have lost a bunch of hats that they didn't do anything to get (for the record, neither did anyone else, but whatever).

I don't give a damn. Hell, there is a forum full of people who don't goddamn care about hats and still disagree with Valve's decision.

Valve first made a half-assed system that only achieved creating a few hundred idle_achievement style servers. Then someone comes with an app that reduces the number of these servers to what? 4?

Three months pass, and did Valve fix their unlock system? Nope, but they have banned using the app, and removed the hats that have already been unlocked, bringing idling back and starting all this drama.

According to the ToS they can ban you for whatever reason they like (or they can change it and make up a reason along the way), so it's not like you can complain because of that (mind you, this is not inherently bad, since it means they can instantly react and ban people who/programs that actually do break the game).

The problem is that they have made a bad design decision, that they didn't attempt to fix (instead calling it unfixable... lol), and then made an arbitrary banning justified by some kind of skewered "morality", instead of putting the systems they promised 3 months ago in place that'd have made the whole point moot.

Just keep in mind that because someone is legally correct doesn't make what they have been doing right.

And for all those "quite whining! It's only a game!"... Well screw that. As a gamer, it's your right to bitch about things you don't like. It's because people don't bitch enough that the industry can get away with shit like overpriced DLC and half finished games that "will be updated later".

I'm not a revolutionary or anything. I just can't sit down and take Valve making a self important decision, because if we do, the industry will consider it ok. And I don't friggin want to have an industry that thinks making a broken, worthless, useless, annoying and all around terrible system, then banning a fan made app that made it better instead of fixing it is fine.

This isn't the stone age anymore. If something makes your game better, you incorporate it, not ban it.
Ugh, why would you even bother branching to Hitler? Before you read the next few lines, know that 12 of my personal family died in the Holocaust. On my dad's side.

Hitler only used Kristallnacht, etc, to alienate the Jews and give himself a way into power. Basically Hitler was like the racist Napoleon, except Himmler sorta, you know, created the Holocaust. Hitler also did a lot of great things, leading up to jet propulsion and other great advances in science.

So, if we're going to keep comparing the petty to the terrible, sure.
Good: Advances in science / finding a way around a broken system
Bad: Genocide / uh, I guess your friends list being full of idlers? baw more?

See what I mean? I was about ready to drop this, too, then you made a stupid comparison.
People keep saying that the system sucks. What exactly do you propose instead?

The only viable option I see is to let everybody start with all the weapons already unlocked. Doable, but I like having an unlock system. It gives me a feeling of progression and makes the game more fun for me.
I'm a great fan of the new Sandvich system. They've really made the weapon more useful, actually being more of a sidegrade than a downgrade.

Also, having a cold sucks.

So how are you guys? Good? Playing some TF2, having some fun with the game?

Quote (P.A. Master)

I'm a great fan of the new Sandvich system. They've really made the weapon more useful, actually being more of a sidegrade than a downgrade.

Also, having a cold sucks.

So how are you guys? Good? Playing some TF2, having some fun with the game?

I'm enjoying it immensely, I can't wait to see what upgrade the 'engie' gets. I'm hoping a radar(replacing one of the teleporters) type thing that detects spys and shows enemies through walls ah-la "zombie vision" from L4D...

I'd also like to see a "sniper sentry", that has a way slower rate of fire on tier 2 and 3 mode, but does more damage and aims quicker the higher levels it goes...

and maybe the dispensers have a version that refills slower but can heal other buildings...

although I just broke the game, so it will just be interesting to see what they put in for the last 3... soldier, engie, demoman.
Unfortunately, I don't have my gaming PC up at college, so I won't be able to witness any of the new releases in game, at least until Thanksgiving at the earliest. TT^TT

Quote (Drakim)

People keep saying that the system sucks. What exactly do you propose instead?

The only viable option I see is to let everybody start with all the weapons already unlocked. Doable, but I like having an unlock system. It gives me a feeling of progression and makes the game more fun for me.

I like quoting myself. It adds spice to the conversation.

Quote ()

3 random solutions:

3.) Timer based on time since registering, instead of being logged on. This eliminates idling since you don't need to idle to get new stuff.
2.) Achievements+Release everything at the same time. Although, there would be achievement grinding, but everyone would be grinding their favorites (what they are playing anyway), instead of grinding the new shit. Obviously, it's too late for this now.
1.) Just give out all the stuff without the need to grind. Unlocking in a competitive multiplayer shooter is retarded. If you want to show off your e-peen, achievements are still there for you.

I have actually thought of a 4th: keep a log of when the player is not logged in, and give a bonus % for the chance/rate of unlocking for a certain length based on that time. Basically what WoW did with the inns. As much as I hate WoW, it has some marvelous systems like that; instead of promoting being logged on/off, it promotes coming back.
And then there's the one they actually planned, but have yet to DO (Part of why people are angry): Allowing us to break duplicate unlocks to make other stuff that we want.

Break two/three/five sandviches, grab my Ushanka. : D
0_o
What have I unleashed on the board?!

Quote (Link2125)

0_o

Well, you do seem to have created one of the most active threads I've seen in a while. Good for you there.

That's all I really wanted to say, but I'll note this as well. Everyone on either side of this argument seems to really think they're in the right (and I don't claim to know who is), so I doubt either side will yield. Therefore, you're just going to keep trading blows until you get bored. Seriously, move on to some TF2 discussion or drop the whole thing...

EDIT: By TF2 discussion, I obviously mean anything other than this. Just adding that in.

Quote (Corrupted Child)

Quote (Link2125)

0_o

Well, you do seem to have created one of the most active threads I've seen in a while. Good for you there.

That's all I really wanted to say, but I'll note this as well. Everyone on either side of this argument seems to really think they're in the right (and I don't claim to know who is), so I doubt either side will yield. Therefore, you're just going to keep trading blows until you get bored. Seriously, move on to some TF2 discussion or drop the whole thing...

EDIT: By TF2 discussion, I obviously mean anything other than this. Just adding that in.

The great thing is that one side already got their app banned and their ill gotten gains removed. The battle was over before it begun : D