Laptop Spill

My computer suffered some damage when my cat spilled some juice...I'm pretty sure it went in since the juice was icy cold and came out from an unknown end lukewarm due to my laptop heating up easily.

It turned on and off immediately when I tried to flip on the powers after I tried to drain it, but now the power won't even turn on. So expect some inactivity for some unset time till it gets fixed...

Is there also a possibility that I totally lost my laptop now? D:
I don't know about how to go about fixing your laptop, but hopefully you can get that done in the near future.

Quote (Goroke)

My computer suffered some damage when my cat spilled some juice...I'm pretty sure it went in since the juice was icy cold and came out from an unknown end lukewarm due to my laptop heating up easily.

It turned on and off immediately when I tried to flip on the powers after I tried to drain it, but now the power won't even turn on. So expect some inactivity for some unset time till it gets fixed...

Is there also a possibility that I totally lost my laptop now? D:

That depends if it spilled on the motherboard/harddrive/whatever else. Depending on what it spilled on, your laptop is varying degrees of f*cked.

I do however note that you're the fourth person I know who has lost a laptop specifically due to spilling something on it. (The first was beer, the second was Dr Pepper, the third was ginger ale, so you're at least drinking the most healthily of the lot.)

That said if it didn't spill on the harddrive (or spill on the harddrive in a fatal way, IE a little spilled on the casing) you might still be able to get all of your data off of the laptop depending on the circumstances. Either way you're going to have to send it back to the manufacturer if it's still under warranty. If not, then I don't know.
Depending on the laptop, you may be able to troubleshoot starting from the power source. However, if it turns out your motherboard is shot, it may be better to get a new laptop.

Like Twi said, you should be able to remove your hard drive, and there's a good chance your data may still be intact.
It depends on what you spilled on it. If the juice leaves a sugary or sticky residue when it dries, then that's going to cling to your parts more than something like water.

Like Dan said, depending on where it hit, it could seriously mess things up. It's best to have somebody professional take a look at it.
Well, I've (somewhat) openes up my laptop to let it dry and found couple things...

The hard drive itself was alright, except for a few drops worth of outside of the casing, hoping that it's alright.

When I took out the keyboard, the part beneath was pretty much drenched (but not dried to leave those sticky residue...if that makes a difference) so I quickly dried with some paper towel.

Right now, I've taken the laptop apart as much as I could, except that I don't know how I can look into the inner hardwares with prying thing off so don't know the damage the juice did to the motherboard.

FYI: Using my iPod to type all this :c
Solution: punch your cat.

Quote (Howitzer)

Solution: punch your cat.

Tried, didn't work.

---

After letting the open laptop out to dry...or at least dry what was left for about 4-5 hours, I reassembled the laptop and tried my luck.

It turned on once more, showing the HP logo, but then something weird happened. The screen was black minus the blinking line at the top corner and it began to make a loud beeping noise here and there. After waiting for like 3 minutes, I turned the computer off and tried again... But this time, thr computer wouldn't even turn on like last time.

I'm guessing that my harddrive is fried?
If you're getting beeps, it sounds like a motherboard error code. You're probably going to have to take this in for service.
The Laptop has been fixed (?)

After I let my Laptop sit out after I took a nap, I tried to turn it back again. This time, the OS was loaded and everything looked the way it was suppose to be. However, after 5 minutes in, this red dots began to show up on the monitor and it quickly began to fill it up in just seconds. So I did the rational thing and turned it off, unplugged the power cord, and took out the battery.

Not convinced, I disassembled it again and let it sit out over night. But while I was at it, the keyboard was getting sticky due to the juice, so I decided to gently wash it with a Q-tip and such. Something happened and now I lost the spring (jelly,whatever) for the D button...Which was no problem, because the keyboard was already starting to break down before and I was thinking about buying a replacement.

I reassembled the computer this morning and it seemed like everything was alright. Except the slow down it suffered, which is alright by now, I think my laptop is back to its tip-top shape~
I've had something similar happen to me, though it was with a different device and beverage, (in this case, a DS in some Gatorade)

Basically, what I ended up doing was turning it off and removing the battery, rinsed some water through the device to clean out any sticky shit, then popped it in a bag of rice for a couple days to suck all the moisture out of it. Works beautifully.

The rule of thumb for liquids in any device it to turn it off right away, and make sure it stays off until you're damn sure it's totally dry, otherwise you could short something and royally fuck something over.
....Oh dear. You shouldn't have 'tried your luck' like you did. Odds are, something in that laptop is now very seriously damaged. I'm praying you got very very lucky. Rather than dwell on that, though, here are some tips, because I certainly can't help you troubleshoot at this point (it's kinda too late) :

- Use alcohol to clean computer components, not water.
- Use canned air to blow out foreign materials, not wiping.
- Disconnect the battery/power source when opening the machine, and leave it that way until you're done working on it.
- What SMS said about liquids.

If you experience any more problems at all after this, then send it in for service. We're nice folks, and a lot of us are quite competent with computer repair, but this.... This is going to take being able to physically see and touch the machine first hand to be able to efficiently diagnose whatever happens after this. Doing it blind over the Net would be frustrating and difficult, in many ways.

Good luck. I hope it comes out alright.

----

*High fives SMS* Ghetto tech solution. I've done similarly wacky things with my game system hardware, but this is impressively creative. So pro. XD

To be honest, this is more a statement about the legendary durability of Nintendo hardware. (Don't ever try that with the guts of a laptop.) Hell, I had my MMBN2 GBA cart accidentally washed (with detergent and bleach) 7 or so times. Yes, it still works.
The Computer is back to its old self. When I booted it, the time and everything else was the way it was before when the spill happened. The only problem are the keyboard and nothing else...
Burned out the keyboard? That can be replaced.

As for the rest of it: Keep an eye on it for a week or so, just in case. Also, if you took it apart, it would be good to note any parts inside that are... discoloured. Especially any of the circuit traces. Turning it on while it was still flooded was not good at all, so you'll need to be watchful of damaged circuits. Yeah, this damage is easily visible, but only develops over a little time, so everything may be fine now, and it could be a smoking paper weight at the end of the week.

Stay watchful for a week or so, just in case.

Good luck.