Mutant Flower Power

Though Rose's movement was slower and steadier than typically seen for Navis, her journey was fruitful. The slight scent of rain was a bit more noticeable, no rain clouds could yet be seen, and the terrain remained dry. Just ahead was a rectangular data pillar, standing almost 10 feet tall and 2 feet wide, and occasionally pulsating with green lines. Two CannonDumb viruses flanked the pillar while a Spikey restlessly paced between the two, as if they were tasked to guard the pillar.

Overseeing the operation was a Pulsebat, which had perched itself atop the pillar. It was the first to notice Rose's slow approach, and screeched out an alarm when it determined the Navi was getting too close for comfort. The CannonDumb, who were panning their turret-like guns almost in a bored, droning fashion shuddered at the sound before swiveling their turrets more quickly to acquire their target(s), and the Spikey flinched before looking around to find the cause for the alarm.

-- Viruses --
CannonDumbCannonDumb (CannonDumb)

CannonDumb viruses attack any targets in sight every action they are able to. They can and will attack objects, but only objects they can damage. They will not waste cannon fire on IronBody, Shadow, or Invisible targets. The exception is Canodumb DS, which will fire at anything with its DarkCannon's beam blasts. All CannonDumb viruses may opt to spend one action prior to attacking marking their opponent with target lock. They gain the 10% accuracy benefit of Take Aim against this opponent for any and all follow-on attacks until they lose sight of the target, or switch targets.

Area: ACDC, SciLab, Electown, Yoka

HP: 50
Primary Attack Damage/Effect: 20 Null
Primary Attack Accuracy: A
Primary Attack Description: Fires its cannon after aiming.
Secondary Attack Damage/Effect: Mark Target
Secondary Attack Accuracy: S
Secondary Attack Description: Marks an enemy within line of sight with a target lock that raises the accuracy of this virus by +1 Rank (10%) until the virus is forced to switch targets or loses sight of the marked target (they take cover).
Element: None
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): Cannon, Zenny
Special: Immobile
A: 50 HP [Normal][Right of DataPillar]

CannonDumb viruses attack any targets in sight every action they are able to. They can and will attack objects, but only objects they can damage. They will not waste cannon fire on IronBody, Shadow, or Invisible targets. The exception is Canodumb DS, which will fire at anything with its DarkCannon's beam blasts. All CannonDumb viruses may opt to spend one action prior to attacking marking their opponent with target lock. They gain the 10% accuracy benefit of Take Aim against this opponent for any and all follow-on attacks until they lose sight of the target, or switch targets.

Secondary Attack Description: Marks an enemy within line of sight with a target lock that raises the accuracy of this virus by +1 Rank (10%) until the virus is forced to switch targets or loses sight of the marked target (they take cover).
B: 50 HP [Normal][Left of DataPillar]
PulseBatPulseBat (PulseBat)

Area: ACDC, Okuden Valley, Kotobuki Town, Sharo, NetVegas

HP: 80
Attack Damage/Effect: 30 + Seeking
Attack Accuracy: A
Attack Description: Uses a sonic screech to damage its opponents.
Secondary Attack Effect: EchoLocation
Secondary Attack Description: Launches a sonic pulse to reveal hidden or illusory targets.
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): Pulsar1, EchoLocation, Zenny.
Special: Airshoes. If PulseBat hits an object, its attack spreads to up to 8 other targets at half damage while dealing full damage to that object. Every other turn, this virus enters High Altitude (dropdown) status and does not attack.
: 80 HP [Metal][Atop DataPillar]
SpikeySpikey (Spikey)

Spikey viruses are a little faster than the average virus, allowing them to cover more ground than normal with movements and dodges. They may attack while moving, but as normal, they cannot attack while dodging without expending a second action to do so. Spikey viruses are also able to use something called 'pack tactics' when 3 or more of them are present. Simply put, the Spikey viruses attack and dodge as a wolf pack. In addition, they are treated as having a reduced power Haste and Accuracy Enhancement effect which grants them a +5% bonus to evasion and accuracy while this effect is active. The effect is passive, and only expires when their numbers drop below 3.

Area: ACDC, Kotobuki Town, Yumland, Netfrica, Hades Isle

HP: 90
Attack Damage/Effect: 15 Fire + Spread 1
Attack Description - Fires HeatShot
Element: Fire
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): HeatShot, Zenny
Special: Uses pack tactics when with at least 2 other Spikeys
: 90 HP [Normal][Ahead of DataPillar, nearest to CannonDumb A]

-- Navis --
Rose.EXE: 150 HP [Normal]

-- Terrain --
20% Cracked
  • Changes to Broken when stepped on, chance to fall in when triggered.
  • Burrow: Change terrain to Broken, Null 50 to burrower.
  • Panel Crack attacks, >100 Damage Break/Impact/Drop attacks: Change terrain hit to Broken.
  • PanelShot: Splash1.

5% Metal
  • Cannot be Broken or Cracked except with Geddon/PanelShot, cannot be Burrowed into.
  • Elec attacks: +100% Source Damage.
  • 100 Damage Aqua attacks: Change terrain hit to Cracked.
  • 100 Damage Fire attacks: Change terrain hit to Furnace.
  • PanelShot: Imbue Elec + Break.

75% Normal
  • No effects.

-- Objects --
DataPillar.obj: 40 HP [Metal]

-- Battle 2 Ready? Start!! --
As she proceeded, and the structures faded from sight, Rose found herself traveling along with nothing in particular to look at. She folded her arms across her chest, and looked at the horizon with a somewhat bored expression. Bored, but at the same time, at peace. "This is less action packed than I was expecting. Which is kind of a relief..."

"Yeah, pro tip: don't EVER say something like 'oh hey, it's nice and peaceful right now'. As soon as you do, something happens to ruin your little moment. Not trying to be mean, but that's how it works. Ask anyone!"

"Really? That seems...a little hard to believe." The plant Navi opened her eyes, but sure enough, she could now see something straight ahead. "...Or maybe not."

"I hate to say I told you so, but...huh? Oof, stay sharp, my PET says there's virus activity that way."

"Maybe you weren't wrong, after all..." So much for a nice moment...but she didn't shy away, instead heading directly for the object. As she made less than haste, what she had noticed seemed to be some sort of data pillar. "A data pillar? Wonder what that's being used for."

"Well, that's weird. You'd think viruses would be all over destroying that, but my PET's saying it's not being harmed. They kinda look like-"

"Like they're guarding it?" By now, Rose could clearly make out four viruses in the area, all of which seemed to be content standing around. There was no mistaking it, they looked like they were protecting it. "Though, is it truly that odd for viruses to do that?"

"Kinda...but shady people will use them for stuff like that. Which means...I bet that data pillar's up to no good!"

"We can't really say for sure if we don't take a closer look, though. And those viruses aren't going to let me get near without giving me a face full of...whatever they do." None of those viruses looked familiar to her. But, she could feel it. The cannons had nothing, but the other two...they had what she wanted. Very, very much so. "!"

"Something wrong?"

"Let's see...that nearest one will do. Time to bring out the special vine!" Rose pointed upward, causing a vine to sprout in front of her. It looked normal enough...except at the tip, where it possessed a long, thin spike. A closer look would reveal an opening at the tip, making it look almost more like it belonged at the end of a syringe than a plant. Without any hesitation, she launched her vine forward at the Spikey. If it hit its mark, the virus would feel an odd sensation besides pain, as though the needle was actually physically absorbing something inside of it. Either way, it'd spring back soon enough, and return to where it usually remained, tucked underneath the flower. "Ooh, I can't wait to finally get a drink!"

"Umm...everything else aside, did that even hit? I couldn't tell from the angle I was looking from..."

"Heehee!" Whatever had happened, the Navi was practically drooling just thinking about it.

"Oooookay then...let's get things back on track. I guess we could finish off the Spikey, but nothing can finish it off in one blow...unless!" Yep, now was the time for that chip to shine. "It's a gamble, but I've got faith in Hana's chip! BattleChip, CactusBall! Slot in!"

As Rose pondered what her vine may have provided her, she raised two more vines from the ground, these completely lacking in noteworthy features, assuming one felt that them having thorns was nothing special at this point. The usual strategy of stabbing enemies with them was discarded, however, as they instead began to tangle with each other, soon forming a large spiked ball. It began to roll forward at a decent speed, its path appearing to be the fire virus. If its path was true, it'd have the odd trait of bouncing back, and repeating its rolling rampage.

Not that the plant Navi was particularly paying attention, as she brought the needle, and checked it for contents. She just couldn't keep going until she knew for certain there was more than air in there...

[Order of Turn:
1-Leech Thorn sig attack on Spikey (20, Wood, Life Drain)
2- CactusBall1Damage: 30 x 4 Hits + Ground Attack
Accuracy: C
Description: Rolls a spiked ball at an enemy, but if it ceases hitting its target, it will harmlessly roll off into the distance.
Duration: Once
Element: Wood
Special: Attacks the same target up to four times, but the attack will end immediately if it misses at any point.
Trader Rank: D
on Spikey (+5 element bonus)
---TURN SPLICE---
Immediately finding the cause of alarm from its comrades, the Spikey opted to take preemptive measures, as it immediately spat out a fireball towards Rose while she was still preparing the special spiked vine. The burst of fire racked her with especially effective damage (-15x2Fire), but fortunately, she managed to launch the vine at the Spikey, allowing for the damage to be mitigated somewhat. (+20) Meanwhile, the turrent next to the Spikey started eyeing her, swiveling its turret head her way, but not really doing much else, while the Spikey received a ball of spiked vines that smacked it in the face, causing it to howl in pain. Unfortunately for Rose, the Spikey recoiled out of the way of further damage from her follow-up attack, and it rolled away into the distance.

-- Viruses --

A: 50 HP [Normal][Right of DataPillar] [Marked Target: Rose] [0 actions remaining]

B: 50 HP [Normal][Left of DataPillar] [1 action remaining]

Secondary Attack Description: Launches a sonic pulse to reveal hidden or illusory targets.
Special: Airshoes. If PulseBat hits an object, its attack spreads to up to 8 other targets at half damage while dealing full damage to that object. Every other turn, this virus enters High Altitude (dropdown) status and does not attack.
: 80 HP [Metal][Atop DataPillar] [1 actions remaining]
SpikeySpikey (Spikey)

Spikey viruses are a little faster than the average virus, allowing them to cover more ground than normal with movements and dodges. They may attack while moving, but as normal, they cannot attack while dodging without expending a second action to do so. Spikey viruses are also able to use something called 'pack tactics' when 3 or more of them are present. Simply put, the Spikey viruses attack and dodge as a wolf pack. In addition, they are treated as having a reduced power Haste and Accuracy Enhancement effect which grants them a +5% bonus to evasion and accuracy while this effect is active. The effect is passive, and only expires when their numbers drop below 3.

: 35 HP [Normal][Ahead of DataPillar, nearest to CannonDumb A] [0 actions remaining]

-- Navis --
Rose.EXE: 140 HP [Normal]

-- Terrain --
20% Cracked
  • Panel Crack attacks, >100 Damage Break/Impact/Drop attacks: Change terrain hit to Broken.

5% Metal
  • Cannot be Broken or Cracked except with Geddon/PanelShot, cannot be Burrowed into.

75% Normal
  • No effects.

-- Objects --
Though she winced in pain upon the fireball hitting her square in the right shoulder, Rose pressed onward with her attacks. Though she failed to luck out and delete the Spikey, she was overjoyed to find a red fluid in her special needle. "Hooray! I got some!"

"Got some...what?"

"Isn't it obvious at this point? Virus blood! Delicious virus blood! Not a whole lot, but even a little bit helps!" The plant Navi quickly summoned a bottle, had the needle shoot the fluid inside of it, and sent it back. "Hopefully, the first of many!"

"All right, you need to remind me of something. Exactly why is that so important for you?"

"You forgot already? All right, I'll go over it...first off, it tastes REALLY good to me! Second, and probably more important, even a sip lets me spend some time away from my flower! Who wants to hang out with a weirdo that lives in a flower? Not a lot. It lets me be a plain old Navi again for a bit. And that...is an amazing feeling."

"Oh, right, I remember that now. But, uh, I have another question. What happened to your shoulder?"

"You mean where I got hit? ...Looks okay to me. No burns or anything."

"...That's just it! Where'd the Navi suit in the area go?!"

Sure enough, the area around Rose's right shoulder was completely devoid of Navisuit, revealing, well, her shoulder, and thanks to the blast radius, a portion of the top and side of her breast was also exposed. Still, it seemed well-attached to her body, with no danger of further revelation. "Oh, guess it's gone."

"You're pretty casual for someone showing sideboob!"

"When you've spent a good part of your life by yourself, you learn to not really be bothered by getting exposed. The last time I fought viruses before running into you, I was practically naked afterward!"

"Hang on a sec. You were totally fine when I first saw you."

"It regenerates, but it can be a little slow. After all, this isn't a Navi suit meant for battle."

"Oh yeah, I remember you saying that you had to have battle programming installed into you at one point."

"It was the only way they'd let me stay in the garden's cyberworld after it closed. I was designed to just give tours, after all. No need to fight with that job."

"So, just to be clear, say you got fireball'd in the crotch..."

"I'd be showing off my lady parts to the cyberworld."

"Oof...and I don't even like to take my hoodie off."

"You get used to it."

"Well, now that we've got all that settled...hang on, the PET's got a cursor over you. What's with that?"

"Beats me, I've never fought one before."'

"Then we better do something quick! Maybe delete that one?"

"No, I think the best thing to do is...this!" Rose pointed dead ahead, above the pillar. As if responding to an inaudible command, her flower planted its roots, absorbed energy from the land, and proceeded to shoot off three of its outer petals. They sped forward, each attempting to hit the Batty, before looping back near its point of origin. The key here was 'near', as they began to spin around the Navi, giving her some protection against future attacks.

---TURN SPLICE---
3-Petal Storm sig attack on PulseBat (10, Wood, hits 3 times, 30 HP Wood-element Barrier on Rose)]
While Rose took a time out to bottle up her fresh supply and have a short chat with her operator for a minute or two, the viruses arrayed against her waited patiently. The second cannon virus idly doodled on her with its laser sight, creating a second lock-on mark, while the sentry PulseBat took to the air and flew higher to get a better vantage of the battle.

Once the necessary explanations had been given and the fight was back on, Rose caused her flower to send a swift barrage of petals up at the flying bat. Two of the three hit it cleanly, before they all whipped back to form a protective barrier about her.

-=Viruses=-

A: 50Hp [Normal][Right of DataPillar][Marked Target: Rose]

B: 50Hp [Normal][Left of DataPillar][Marked Target: Rose]

: 60Hp [High Altitude]
SpikeySpikey (Spikey)

: 35Hp [Normal][Ahead of DataPillar, nearest to CannonDumb A]

-=Navis=-
Rose.Exe: 140Hp [Normal][30Hp Barrier(Wood)]

-=Terrain=-
20% Cracked

5% Metal

75% Normal
  • No effects.

-=Objects=-
Though the Batty had flown upward and into safer territory, Rose was content to have cut it up a bit, and nodded to herself as she looked at the other viruses. "Not much point in worrying about that bat now. Let's just kill the others for now!"

"Sounds good to me, but...oh, whatever, I'll just send every chip I've got! Use 'em all!" The sound of things repeatedly being slammed into a PET could be heard, as Leilani quickly grabbed her remaining chips and pounded them in. "Does order matter? I kinda just grabbed at random..."

"Um, let's see..." What did she send first...ah, that RageClaw thing from before. The plant Navi raised an arm, causing a vine to emerge from beneath her flower. This one had additional, finger like extentions from the end, each tipped with a razor sharp thorn. She pointed forward at her earlier source of blood, and the vine raced forward towards its previously weakened victim. It didn't even try to slash; it was perfectly content to impale the one that had dared damage its master's attire. After its stab attempt, it retracted back to its point of origin, but didn't go back underneath. After all, why get rid of something that was still perfectly usable?

Still, it wasn't going to shred the other two as well as she'd care for, so Rose instead utilized the chip data that seemed less familiar. She wasn't entirely sure how it worked, but based on that damage rating...well, it was good enough for her. She waved her arm at the Canodumb closer to the (potentially dead) Spikey, and a large, blunt vine extended. If it sailed true, it would impact the cannon virus with the force of, well, a cannonball, which would be enough to wipe it off the face of the virtual earth.

As that vine retracted, the flower lover Navi activated the final chip data. The previous attacking appendage returned to beneath the flower from whence it came...only for another, different vine to emerge from the same spot. This one was much sleeker, and possessed a long, thin thorn. The spike seemed sturdy, but the vine itself seemed too fragile to launch itself and spear a target...and it was. Fortunately, that wasn't its job, and it instead fired off the thorn as a projectile. It sped forward, unstoppable by virtually anything; even if it hit something, it'd continue to move forward, barely bothered by penetrating through virus material.

Speaking of material, Rose looked over at her shoulder for a moment, and noted that it was nearly restored. As long as it wasn't redamaged, it'd be intact once again before her next move.

[Order of Turn:
1- RageClaw1Damage: 40 + Slashing (Attack) OR 20 + Impacting (Throw)
Accuracy: B / B then B
Description: Creates an impressive bear claw. Can be used to slash or throw enemies or objects.
Duration: Until Overridden/Broken. Breaks automatically after 6 uses.
Element: Null
Special: Throw: The wielder must first grab the target to be thrown, then the target is thrown in the direction/area indicated. A second check is made if against another object/enemy. Throw deals damage to both thrown object/enemy and the second object/enemy. Damage occurs at point of collision with the ground/wall/ceiling/etc. or an object/enemy, not during initial grab attempt. Objects deal their max HP in damage (instead of the chip's damage) if they hit an object/enemy, then break. If they miss, the object just takes the chip's damage. This chip has a variety of uses.
on Spikey
2- CannonDamage: 60 + Knockback
Accuracy: A
Description: A decent sized cannon with a single shot.
Trader Rank: E
on CanodumbA
3- ShotgunDamage: 50 + Spread 1
Accuracy: A
Description: A gun whose shot penetrates an enemy to hit another one directly behind it.
Trader Rank: E
on CanodumbB]
The Spikey was eager to continue burning things, and launched another burst of fire in rose's direction even as she communicated with her operator and made plans. Fortunately for the fire-fragile navi, the Spikey's exuberance also prevented it from aiming as well as it needed to. The ball of fire scorched across the ground to one side and missed her. Rose countered with thorned vines that easily dispatched the dangerous virus.

As they made this exchange, one of the cannons launched a shot towards the fray, but even with its improved aim, luck wasn't with it. As its own shot missed, a heft bludgeoning protrusion from Rose's flower socked it clean off its turret. The second cannon fired, more accurately this time, but the shot was stopped by the navi's defences before her second strike pierced through it as well, with an explosive crunch of metal.

From up above, the bat swooped down again, hoping to capitalise on a distracted and possibly weaker foe, but while its sonic blast rippled across her petal barrier with some force, Rose herself remained unharmed. The bat flapped in place, briefly, and seemed to be considering its options.

-=Viruses=-

A: DELETED

B: DELETED

: 60Hp [Over Normal]
SpikeySpikey (Spikey)

: DELETED

-=Navis=-
Rose.Exe: 140Hp [Normal][Barrier Broken!]

-=Terrain=-
20% Cracked

5% Metal

75% Normal
  • No effects.

-=Objects=-
...Wow. That worked. Rose looked over the battlefield, probably as surprised as anyone at just how little remained after her assault. "I, uh...I'm actually not that bad at this, am I?"

"Wow. That was awesome!"

"I'm not done yet, unfortunately. There's still that thing. That...bat." ..Hmmmmm. Now that she actually had a decent look at it without worrying about getting hit by a fireball, it looked like it could be organic. Could it possibly...? Worth a try. With a snap of her fingers, the vine from before, with the syringe-like tip, emerged from beneath her flower. She pointed at the lone virus, and it lunged forward, in an attempt to stab it and drain it of some of its life...and possible fluids.

Unlike last time, at least, the flower Navi had the sense of mind to not focus entirely on the needle, instead looking over at the seemingly neglected vine from earlier. Razor sharp thorns were still razor sharp, and they didn't look like they were about to break. Worked for her. As her previous vine retracted (hopefully containing a treat for her), the claw-like vine extended forward, tearing at the Batty with a powerful swipe downward. Then, another one that rose upward. If her aim was as good as before, that'd be the end of things, but she knew quite well from past experience to remain vigilant until the bitter end.

[Order of Turn:
1-Leech Thorn sig attack on PulseBat (20, Wood, Life Drain)
2- RageClaw1Damage: 40 + Slashing (Attack) OR 20 + Impacting (Throw)
Description: Creates an impressive bear claw. Can be used to slash or throw enemies or objects.
Special: Throw: The wielder must first grab the target to be thrown, then the target is thrown in the direction/area indicated. A second check is made if against another object/enemy. Throw deals damage to both thrown object/enemy and the second object/enemy. Damage occurs at point of collision with the ground/wall/ceiling/etc. or an object/enemy, not during initial grab attempt. Objects deal their max HP in damage (instead of the chip's damage) if they hit an object/enemy, then break. If they miss, the object just takes the chip's damage. This chip has a variety of uses.
on PulseBat
3- RageClaw1Damage: 40 + Slashing (Attack) OR 20 + Impacting (Throw)
on PulseBat]
In the moment that the remaining virus was contemplating whether to stay or flee, rose struck out with her slightly more special vine, piercing the creature just under its helmet and extracting... something. The bat screeched and tore away as the vine retracted, beginning to flap madly. It was hard to tell whether it was simply trying to gain altitude or to escape entirely, but rose wasn't giving it the time to consider over much. Just as it pulled away, she managed to rake it back down to ground, where it stayed this time.

When the bat didn't move, and instead began to break apart and disintegrate, Rose could be certain that the fight was over for now, leaving just her, the odd remnants of data scraps, and the strange green-lit pillar that the viruses had initially been clustered around.

-=Viruses=-

A: DELETED

B: DELETED

SpikeySpikey (Spikey)

-=Navis=-
Rose.Exe: 150Hp [Normal]

-=Terrain=-
20% Cracked

5% Metal

75% Normal
  • No effects.

-=Objects=-

-=Battle 2, Victory!=-
Spoils: 435z, EchoLocationEffect: Nullifies Invis on all Enemies and Objects, and dispels illusion effects.
Accuracy: S
Description: Sends out a sonic wave to bounce off of objects, revealing hidden things and illusory targets as what they truly are.
Trader Rank: C
Everything had gone wonderfully. The virus was dead, and her thorn needle was full. Rose quickly prepared another vial, and eagerly filled it with the dark red contents. "This is going great!"

"I'm glad for you and all, but there's also some remaining data you need to pick up over there."

"Just a sec...and done. Now, what was that? Oh, the reward data. On it!" The flower loving Navi snapped her fingers, causing a vine from beneath the flower to extend, grab the data, and send it over. "Enjoy!"

"Well, there's more money. And, a chip?"

"Ooh, another chip? What'd we get?"

"Um, let's see...it's called EchoLocation. It...reveals invisible targets and dispels illusions."

"Neat. How much damage does it do?"

"...Zero.

"...Does it do anything else?"

"Nope."

"...I-I'm sure it'll come in handy someday!"

"Doubt that, but whatever. It's not going to physically hurt us to keep it." And into the pile it was thrown. Where it would probably forever remain. "I hate to say it, but I don't think you should continue. I think viruses come at you in bigger numbers the deeper you go, and if you face any more than just then...I don't think we've got the firepower, you know?"

"I guess. Plus, you should start working on that project some more!"

"Ugh. Don't remind me."

"Too late!"

"...Jacking you out now." Green beam of light in, and out. Also out: a smallish Navi in a large flower.

(JACKING OUT)