Familiar Ground

"You seem to have an audience," Ellen commented, noting the viruses that had gathered around. She sent along a set of chips, suspecting that they hadn't actually shown up just to listen in.

"I noticed," Rachna said, lowering her shieldbrella to point toward the closer of two Boomers. She then used the newest chip she had picked up to conjure a hovering needle gun platform in front of her. "Anyway, what do you know about the prototype for the current network?"

"Just that it was apparently sentient or something equally stupid that I have no idea why anybody would think was a good idea. Then it went berserk and had to be shut down and sealed away," Ellen answered. "It's one of the first things we learn about in Internet History."

"And I'm still amazed that that's an actual class. You're mostly right, though. But at the time it didn't seem like such a stupid idea. It was supposed to be self-maintaining. Gone would be the days where entire sections of the net would go down for hours on end because of server maintenance." Rachna finished that thought by telekinetically ripping up a section of grass and hurling it at the teddy bear-looking virus.

"Seems like they didn't actually accomplish much. Didn't you end up manually rebooting a server not too long ago?"

"Oh, you were awake back there," Rachna remarked casually. "But you just said it. That thing went berserk. So instead of creating another autonomous network, the administrators of the new network created admin navis for each country's network to maintain it. These navis were normal in almost all respects, other than not being designed for combat like many other navis were. Their powers weren't even directly wired into their program. It was connected to an admin tag that could be passed on. Or stolen."

The needle launcher fired off a volley of needles. Rachna stopped for a breath, and used the moment to conjure a rock in her hand and toss it toward one of the spider viruses. Not that it was likely to do all that much other than draw its attention, but that was all Rachna needed. She summoned a gust of wind as soon as the rock landed, attempting to blow the targeted spider into the bee virus nearby.

"So let me see if I'm keeping up here," Ellen said. "You're about to tell me that you were one of these admin navis, and that your tag was stolen. Do I have that right?"

"Nope! That was just backstory. I started out as a support program to one!"
___

1. Shield NCP: Directed forward
2. Summon Needler1: 60HP object, Floatshoes, Mobile
3. PanelShot: 100 (+5 for Wood) to Teddy
*Needler: 30 Null to BoomerA, SpidyA, SpidyB
*Sundry: 5 Null to SpidyA
*Gust: Knockback SpidyA into HoneyBomber
Conjuring up some stuff while revealing some backstory, Rachna pulled up a Needler, as well a solid chunk of grass-laden soil. The Needler shot some well-placed needles into three viruses, while the chunk of soil shaved off half of the Teddy clean. Meanwhile, the Boomers retaliated with a couple of high-speed boomerangs. The first didn't do much, sailing past her side, while the other hit her shield-umbrella. However, moments later, two after-images from the same boomerang sliced through the opening, hitting her. (5x2)

The Spidy teleported around to her, and laid some webbing to her sides, while the Honeybomber bees did mostly nothing.

BoomerA: 30 HP (Soil)
BoomerB: 60 HP (Grass)
SpidyA: 50 HP (Grass)
SpidyB: 50 HP (Grass)
Teddy: DELETED
Honeybomber: 100 HP (Grass)

Rachna.EXE: 90 HP (Grass)
Needler: 60 HP (Floatshoes) (Mobile)

Terrain: 50% Grass, 25% Poison, 10% Soil, 5% Broken, 10% Web
"Wait, so you were a support program."

"Yep."

"And now you're a navi."

"Yep."

"Is that even possible?"

Rachna's eyes swept across the battlefield, noting the location of webbing that one of the spiders had laid, making a note that that would be a very good place to not move to if possible. The needler she had created fired another trio of shots, aiming for both of the boomers while the third set of needles went wide and shot for the Honeybomber. Rachna opened her shieldbrella again, refreshing it from its broken state after taking a direct hit from a boomerang. No way she was just going to let her umbrella go just like that.

"Yes and no," she said, continuing to survey potential targets. Hopefully the bee would retaliate against her needler and no her, so she could continue to leave it alone for the moment. "You can't actually directly turn a support program into a navi. But you can transfer elements of a core program, such as memory and personality routines to a different program. Think about it like copying text from one file to another, only much more complex and involving a lot of extra work."

Ellen slotted in a chip, paying more attention to Rachna's story than the actual battle. It occurred to her that if her navi was being truthful, she could use her as a source for a future paper. Assuming Dentech allowed that, of course. "So who were you a support program for, then?" At this point, it was just curiosity that prompted her to ask that question. It wasn't like she knew the names of any admin navis anyway.

"Not telling!" Rachna teased, winking. "Sorry, don't really know if that's the sort of information I should just be giving away. Let's call him Krishna for now, though. Krishna was a restoration admin from Netfrica. Back when admin navis were most active he got a lot of work, because the network was unstable and large sections of it kept going down. They'd eject all programs in the area before failing, but everything that stayed in the network wasn't always preserved. Sometimes it got bugged, sometimes it got wiped clean. So we had to go in and either fix or redesign those areas and restore it to a working state."

Rachna conjured a shotgun in her hand from the chip she was given, taking aim at one of the spiders. With any luck, she could catch the other in the blast, but with how much they were jumping around she wasn't counting on it. So instead of relying on luck, she aimed a gust at it to knock it into range before firing.

"We weren't entirely bound to our region either, so we ended up doing work in other areas too. My personal favorite was this place. Which is why I came here, actually."

"So how come you're no longer working with this Krishna?" Ellen asked. She sent another chip, which Rachna manifested in the form of a large cannon.

"Thee words. Network Operating System." Rachna punctuated that statement by aiming at one of the boomers and letting loose on it, firing the one shot her conjured cannon had at it. Now useless, she let the cannon fall to the ground afterward, where it dissolved into nothing.
___

*Needler: 30 Null to Boomer A, Boomer B, and HoneyBomber
1. Shield NCP: Refresh Shield
*Gust: Knock SpidyB into a position behind SpidyA
2. Shotgun: 50 Null to SpidyA, Spread1 to SpidyB
3. Cannon: 40+Knockback to BoomerB
((bump2))
With the Needler doing its own thing, Rachna eliminated the two Spidy viruses with a Shotgun burst, and one Boomer with her Cannon as well. The Honeybomber retaliated towards the Needler, not doing much damage. The Boomer, meanwhile, launched another boomerang, this time larger and slower than its predecessor. It was deflected easily, however, by Rachna's shield process.

BoomerA: 30 HP (Soil)
BoomerB: DELETED
SpidyA: DELETED
SpidyB: DELETED
Honeybomber: 70 HP (Grass)

Needler: 35 HP (Floatshoes) (Mobile)

Rachna reconstituted her shield, folding up and reopening her umbrella into a like-new, repaired state. She doubted she'd need it anymore, at least not for this batch of distractions, but it didn't hurt to be sure. The damaged needler, meanwhile, proved to still be working well enough to fire another burst of needles. One cluster went wild, while the remainder targeted the remaining two enemies.

"If you thought the prototype net was a stupid idea, then you're probably about to facepalm at this next part," she said, continuing her story. "The NOS runs on some of the same principals. It can think and manage the network for itself, although there are a number of failsafes in place to prevent it from going rogue or anyone from messing with it. Once it went online, the need for administrators diminished over time. At first, they were needed to keep it functioning properly, but with subsequent upgrades even that became unnecessary. An admin navi can still access its base programming if they need to, but that sort of thing hasn't happened in almost forty years."

"But what if someone were to have their admin tag stolen, and then decide to mess up the NOS?" Ellen asked.

"Then we're screwed. Well, maybe. There's also a failsafe against that, but it has to be activated manually. You know, so that it doesn't automatically kill anyone who's actually supposed to be there. If it is activated though, then whatever's down there gets hit by a nice big juggernaut of an attack program and blown sky-high. And considering that it's buried somewhere beneath even the Chaos nets, that's saying something."

Ellen had no idea just what her navi meant by Chaos nets, and decided she didn't want to open that particular can of worms at the moment. That would surely be another several pages of notes to have to take later. Instead, she loaded up another chip, one she thought would be good for a finisher, while still hopefully keeping Rachna away from any direct counterattacks. "So I'm assuming you didn't all get stuck on maintenance duty, then, if that stopped being necessary."

"No," Rachna answered, activating the chip. From the hole where she had torn up part of the grass a figure veiled in shadow rose. "I think ENA or Bastion might still do some of that along with their work at SciLab, but the rest of them were pretty much out of a job. Some of them went their separate ways, and some of them were put into stasis in SciLab's secure servers."

The shadowy figure pulled a scimitar from somewhere within its frame, and lunged toward the HoneyBomber, swinging its sword in a wide, devastating arc. As the blade used to execute the attack faded, so too did the shadow. Rachna braced herself to dodge, just in case the bee virus wasn't about to fall to the ground bisected.

"Krishna was one of those who went into stasis. His support programs, meanwhile, were rebuilt into independent navis. And that's how I became me."
___

1. Shield NCP: Refresh Shield
*Needler: 30 Null to BoomerA and HoneyBomber
2. SummonBlack2: 200+Wide+Slashing to HoneyBomber and anything else in its way (BoomerA, if still alive and close enough)
3. Prepped Dodge
The Needler was able to make quick work of the wounded Boomer, but missed the Honeybomber...for better or for worse. The hive virus, unfortunately, wasn't able to celebrate its luck as Rachna swung her sword, cleaving it in half by the sword's powerful slash...

BoomerA: DELETED
BoomerB: DELETED
SpidyA: DELETED
SpidyB: DELETED
Honeybomber: DELETED

Rachna.EXE: 90 HP (Grass) [Shield]
Needler: 35 HP (Floatshoes) (Mobile)

-BATTLE WON!-
[QuickBoomerang1] Battlechip + 700zQuickBoomerang1
Damage: 10 + Slashing + Group Attack (Arc) x 3 Boomerangs
Accuracy: C
Description: Throws a series of razor sharp boomerangs at the enemy in rapid succession.
Element: Null
Special: Group Attack (Arc): This attack may hit between 1 and 4 enemies on average, perhaps more depending on the situation. This version of Group Attack hits in an arc that loops back to the attacker. If attempting to hit too many targets with poor RP, you may also hit yourself, so be careful.
"So once I was on my own, I didn't really have any duties anymore, or anything I had to do. So I just did whatever. Never stopped, really."

"I noticed," Ellen said in a completely unamused tone.

"Aww, is that a problem?" Rachna teased. "But that's about all I feel like telling. And what a coincidence, I also just ran out of things to throw other things at. So does this mean your break's over, or are you going to procrastinate more?"

"Are you kidding?" Ellen asked, opening a window into the net so that Rachna could see her laptop, complete with a text file full of notes on her story. "I might as well have not been on break at all. Only problem is I'm not really sure how to cite you."

"Call it an interview." Rachna shrugged. "More importantly..." Her expression shifted to one of genuine surprise. "You were actually paying attention?!"

"Shut up," Ellen grumbled. "In the meantime, is there any more you're willing to tell me about...well, everything you just talked about?"

Rachna paused, considering. Telling someone who might as well be providing room and board where she had come from was one thing, but now that she was going to be used as a source for a paper she wasn't so sure. She continued deeper into the net as she finally spoke. "Maybe later," she said. "Right now I'd rather just stick to having fun, since I'm apparently not allowed to do that with myself in the PET."

Ellen flushed. "L-look, it's not a thing I want to hear. So...you can do it if you want...I guess...but shut the volume off first, please."

"Sounds like you don't mind seeing it, at least," Rachna teased again.

"Shut up."

((Battle 4))
Rachna came across one of many strangeness the Yoka net provided as a river of poison was in her way. When things didn't get any stranger, viruses started to pop out from the grass across the river, beginning to mock the navi because of the lone advantage of the poison between them!

-Across the poisonous stream-
AppleSamuA: 70 HP
AppleSamuB: 70 HP
KilbyA: 90 HP
KilbyB: 90 HP
KilbyC: 90 HP
MushyA: 80 HP
MushyB: 80 HP

Terrain: 40% Grass, 20% Poison (Center River), 40% Grass

-Behind the noxious river-

-BATTLE FOUR, START!-
"So you did a lot of redesigning in this area, then?" Ellen asked, taking note of various landmarks in the net. Most notably, a decently sized river of poison separating her navi from the latest batch of viruses to come calling.

"Yep," Rachna answered.

"Why would you design large rivers of poison to run through it?"

Rachna shrugged. "Wasn't me. They were already there before I ever saw Yumland for the first time. I did suggest just leaving them in, though. They look cool, give this place character."

Ellen blinked, staring silently at her navi for a moment. When she snapped out of it, she sighed and said "Whatever. You like them, you deal with them. She jammed several chips into the PET for her navi to mess with, then went back to her paper.

"Okay," Rachna said cheerfully. She turned her eyes on the viruses taunting her from the other side of the stream. They were taunting her, right?

Yep, there was no mistaking it. "Well we can't have that, now, can we."

A tug on the air with her staff, and she called forth a gust to pull one of the mushroom viruses toward the deadly stream between them. But that was the simple stuff. Just a test, or perhaps a move to shut the viruses up. Next came the real part. And of course, the first step for executing the dangerous idea that had just come to her was a manic grin. Always an essential.

Donning that manic grin, Rachna dug her staff into the grassy terrain beneath her. Energy from the staff carved out a section of the terrain, not in front of her as she usually did, but directly underneath her. Kneeling down on it, she grasped the edge of the uprooted panel and held tight. At her command, the panel rose from the ground and flung itself across the river with Rachna clinging on and cackling madly.

Once on the other side, she jumped off before the panel could collide with its target, the second mushroom virus. She landed in a crouch turning toward the remaining viruses.

Apples and bamboo groves, was it?

Lifting her staff above her, she conjured a long thread of spider's silk that wove itself into a web pattern as she brought it into being and flung it at the Kilby viruses, hoping to ensnare each of them before they could react to her sudden presence on their side of the river.

"Who's laughing now?"
___

*Gust: Pull MushyA into poison
1-2: Panelshot: Ride panel to other side, 100(+5)+Wood to MushyB
3. WhiteWeb1: 40+snare to Kilbys
The gust of wind proved to be entirely fruitless, as the Mushy simply teleported from the river back to its original location, and resumed mocking Rachna, seemingly missing the purpose of the exercise entirely. Oh well, it was a virus, what else could be expected?

...Clearly not a Kilby strike, who quickly warped beside the Navi, and gave her a side full of bamboo (30). Not to be deterred, the arachnid grabbed ahold of a panel, using it to try and fly across the river while laughing like a crazy person. Which made it all the more embarrassing when she lost her grip halfway and ended up in the river. At least it didn't stop the panel from crashing into the other Mushy.

Most of the other viruses were content to just sit back and resume laughing, but an AppleSamu popped out of its shell long enough to shoot seeds at Rachna, giving her a ranged one-two (10x2). Ow.

But did this prevent her from trying to WhiteWeb the group of Kilby? Nope. Did the Kilby try to avoid the incoming sticky threads? Nope. Did Rachna miss even one of them? Nope.

And should she stay in the river of poison? Nope.

-Still across the poisonous stream-
AppleSamuA: 70 HP
AppleSamuB: 70 HP
KilbyA: 50 HP (Snare)
KilbyB: 50 HP (Snare)
KilbyC: 50 HP (Snare)
MushyA: 80 HP
MushyB: DELETED

Terrain: 40% Grass, 20% Poison (Center River), 40% Grass

-Experiencing the noxious river-
Rachna.EXE: 40 HP (Poison)
And did Rachna care one bit about her earlier failure? No, not really.

Sure, she had just failed at her little maneuver and made a fool of herself in front of her opponents, but she didn't care. If she was an idiot in their eyes, then she would simply poke their eyes out! Or...something like that. Blasting them with elemental magic worked as well.

First order of business was getting out of the water, though.

"Whoa whoa, what do you think is so funny," she asked lightly, pulling her staff out of the poison river and gathering an updraft under her. She jumped, and the draft pulled her out of the river, while poison trailed behind her. Once she reached a peak, she changed the course of the wind, leaving the trailing poison behind and blowing her over to the other side.

As she moved, she tried to position herself above the surviving mushroom, so that when began to fall again, she materialized a cannon over her hand and aimed straight down, firing a shot that would hopefully slam the virus directly into the ground. Over the rest of her descent she charged energy in her staff.

She landed soon after, dropping down into the grass and slamming the butt of the staff into it as soon as she touched. Thorned vines sprang from the ground where the staff hit, traveling along a wave of elemental magic along a line from Rachna toward the ensnared viruses.
___

1. Airstep jump out of the poison
*Gust: Propel self to shore above MushyA
2. Cannon: 40+Knockback to MushyA
3. ElementalRage1: 60(+5 Wood)+Line to MushyA, Kilbys, and anything else in its way.
((bump))
Rachna quickly hopped out of the toxic river, making sure nothing overly bad happened to her while in there. She then popped a cap in the Mushy's, er, cap, and...you know what? Ignore that. Aside from the part about Cannon hitting. That part definitely happened.

Speaking of things that happened, a Kilby warped over to smack the non-spider Navi with a stick of bamboo as retaliation for harming its mushroom pal. Regretably, it did (30), but she managed to get both it and the Mushy in line for an ElementalRage of DOOM. DOOOOOOOOOOM. Oh, and an AppleSamu spat a pair of seeds at her. The first bonked her on the head (10), the other harmless flew into the river. Either way, Rachna might want to grab a band-aid if she had one.

-Still across the poisonous stream-
AppleSamuA: 70 HP (in shell)
AppleSamuB: 70 HP (out of shell)
KilbyA: 55 HP (Snare)
KilbyB: DELETED
KilbyC: 55 HP (Snare)
MushyA: DELETED

Terrain: 35% Grass, 5% Broken (where PanelShot was used), 20% Poison (Center River), 40% Grass (everyone's here!)

-Experiencing the noxious river-
Rachna.EXE: 15 HP (Grass)
What? How had it still managed to get out of its web? And for that matter why did it just go back and get stuck again after it hit her? Rachna gave a confused look at what had just happened, allowing herself to be distracted long enough to get hit by more seeds.

Wonderful.

Right on cue, Ellen chimed in through the PET to ask if she was okay. Rachna shrugged, re-creating the shieldbrella that she had all but forgotten about for the entire battle up until that point. She pointed it toward the remaining viruses, kneeling behind it. "All good," she said casually, though no matter what happened to come through her mouth she couldn't deny that the bamboo stick and seed combo had hurt quite a bit.

"Really?" Ellen asked. "Because it looks to me like I really can't leave you alone for a moment."

"I'm suffering from a case of 'thou shalt not show off', that's all," Rachna commented, shrugging again. "Other than that, everything's still fine. Just keep those chips coming, I'm going to need the firepower."

"Right," Ellen muttered, doing so. The perfect chance to snap back at her navi for all the jabs thrown in her direction, and she ruins it by not taking her own condition seriously.

Rachna, meanwhile, conjured a needle launcher next to herself, making the most of what Ellen had sent. Maybe it would be useful, maybe it wouldn't, but at the moment it was there to soak up any more stray bamboo spears meant for her. Next, her turned her eyes back on the opposite shore of the poison river, and called a shadowy figure out of the hole left behind by her botched panel riding attempt. It pulled a massive curved blade from its very being, and glided over the surface of the river toward the viruses on the opposite shore.

As it approached, Rachna concentrated a burst of wind into her staff and, poking out from behind her shieldbrella for just long enough to fire it toward the viruses, hoping to knock the bamboo clusters into each other and make them easier targets. She also flung a mass of dirt that she conjured on the spot at them, if for nothing more than a distraction. By the time she had done both, the shadow loomed over them, and brought down its blade at them.

As the shadow figure disappeared, Rachna tapped the needle launcher she had created, and it fired three clusters of needles into whatever remained of the group.
___

1. Shield NCP
2. Summon Needler1: 60HP Object, 30 to three targets each turn
*Gust: Knock Kilby viruses together
*Sundry: Passive 5 damage to KilbyC
3. SummonBlack: 200+Wide+Slashing: AppleSamuB, KilbyA, KilbyC
*Needler: 30 each to anything left over
Rachna shielded herself, as a Kilby quickly warped over to skewer her from a different direction...fortunately, it missed horribly. She then created a Needler virus to distract and impale viruses...though it didn't do anything of the sort immediately. As they had become prone to do, the AppleSamu pair switched up their offense and defense, and one pelted seeds at its target...the less sentinent of its adversaries.

With that, a Nightmare creeped out from the hole on the other side, and warped over to the Wood viruses to slash them with an incredibly strong blade...it missed the apple, but the Kilby were finally cut down to size.

The Needler then finally launched a volley of spikes, but failed to hit the vulnerable AppleSamu, while the other simply let the attack bounce harmlessly off of its shell.

-Over the river-
AppleSamuA: 70 HP (out of shell)
AppleSamuB: 70 HP (in shell)
KilbyA: DELETED
KilbyC: DELETED

Terrain: 35% Grass, 5% Broken (where PanelShot was used), 20% Poison (Center River), 40% Grass (everyone's here!)

-Through with the woods?-
Rachna.EXE: 30 HP (Grass) (1-hit shield)
Needler: 40 HP (Grass)
"Much better," Rachna said, although she had still yet to actually hurt the apples. Persistent little fruits, they were. Of course, part of that was her needle launcher's fault. It seemed that she'd have to do things a little more directly.

She tapped it again, just in case, and it fired off another set of needles at both apples, even though only one was vulnerable. Maybe she'd get lucky and the other one would come back out of its shell now. Ellen, meanwhile, sent one more chip, hoping as well that it would be the last one Rachna would need.

Rachna activated it, conjuring a steel gauntlet on her hand, complete with razor-sharp talons. Once she was satisfied with the claw weapon, she advanced on the two apples. She slashed at the one that was currently poking out of its shell, then attempted to scoop up the second one and throw it into the poison river.

She called forth a gust of wind in the process, adding it to the throw in hopes of not only landing it in the river, but landing it far enough in the river that it couldn't get out easily.
___

*Needler: 30 to three targets: Applesamus
1. Rageclaw ApplesamuA: 40+slashing
2. Rageclaw ApplesamuB into poison river
*Gust: Push ApplesamuB farther into poison river
-splice-
With the last couple viruses spread out for her to delete, Rachna pushed the Needler a bit to get it to change its targets, and so it did, with two more hits on the apples. One got hit, the other had its shell protect it from all of the damage. One RageClaw slicing later, and it was deleted quite easily. After that, she aimed for the AppleSamu with the same weapon, but with the intent to swoop it over into the poisonous-looking river. Unfortunately, at that moment, it chose to pop out of its shell and find Rachna going for it, and got just a little bit out of her attack's way. It didn't see the gust of wind coming, though, and was swept into the muck anyway. Attempting to retaliate with some seed spitting didn't go so well for it, as Rachna's shield foiled that.

-Over the river-
AppleSamuA: DELETED
AppleSamuB: 60 HP (out of shell and in the poison)
KilbyA: DELETED
KilbyC: DELETED

-Through with the woods?-
Rachna.EXE: 45 HP (Grass) (1 action left)
Needler: 40 HP (Grass)
Stubborn little thing almost screwed her up again. Rachna certainly couldn't have that. But it was in the poison now, right where it needed to be, without much hope of running away.

"And stay there!" she called out for no other reason than that it seemed appropriate, throwing another randomly conjured object at it. This time, just because it too seemed appropriate, an orange. She followed it up with something more realistic though, conjuring a shotgun in her hand and tossing the clawed gauntlet aside.

Pumping a round into the chamber, she took aim at the apple virus, and fired.
___

-end splice-
*Sundry: Passive 5 damage: ApplesamuB
3. Shotgun: 50+splash: ApplesamuB
((bump))