Planeswalker Test Arena D

"Stop," said Area and Divinity at the same time and Divinity turned to look at the Admin Navi. "Me and my Operator need to make a purchase. I will plug out and return swiftly after this." Divinity then looked at Pianissimo and made a small bow, "I'll be back soon. If you want to wait here, I'd be grateful. I'd like to get this done quickly. Me and Area have some things we've been thinking about lately and want to do something with those thoughts." Area nodded slightly and pressed a button to iniate the log out process, causing Divinity to shift back to her normal armor. "See you soon, Piano," she said as she flew off into a light that shone in the sky that was simulated by the PET.

(( BrB. Ah, you know what I'm gonna do. >_> ))
"Hmph, I suppose I have nothing better to do than wait, then," muttered Pianissimo, pressing the navi emblem on his hand. A menu instantly popped up in front of him. Chip selection...don't need that now. Subchips...I survived this battle without any new scratches. Nonetheless, I'm still at half HP, and I don't want to be caught like that if we enter a fire or poison-based environment. "Duke, use one of those minienergypack subchips, will you?"
"Right away." Rigel said, popping in the subchip. Pianissimo felt the waves of healing energy wash over him in a similar fashion to when Divinity stabbed him earlier, only without actually being stabbed.
Now...what else do I have on this thing? News...no news since the Cybeast breakout and the virus database. Speaking of which, the list is rather pathetic. Just a picture and a name. Looks like I still have to rely on my own intel, for the most part. No e-mail since Wes. I almost feel sorry for abandoning Soulman back there. They're probably fine, though. It's not like they could've run into Drakkas or something.

Pianissimo closed the menu, walking over to the hole they had made in the environment. "That wasn't quite what I had had in mind back there. But then again, who would've thought breaking the newly created glass would create a bottomless pit?"
"Yeah, I wasn't expecting that either," Rigel answered, watching in the real world as Area left for one of the shops. "So..." Pianissimo said, noticing what Rigel was watching. "What do you think of her?"
"What do you mean?"
"Don't try to hide it. I know you've been shooting occasional glances at her this whole time. You like her, don't you?"
"Stay away from there, you," Rigel said, despite not seeming the slightest bit angry. "So now what? Are you going to tell me you're attracted to Divinity or something?"
"She's taken, from what I've heard. Besides, I have no interest in such things. But don't change the subject."
"Technically, I didn't change the subject. And if you're still going on about this when she gets back, who knows what she's going to do."
"You're not exactly defenseless yourself, are you?"
"That doesn't mean I WANT a fight." Rigel knew that Pianissimo was right. He could probably hold his own against her if she lost it. "Since when did you care, anyway? You're acting quite a bit like Swing used to."
Pianissimo thought about thus for a moment. "Probably because I'm not in the middle of a battle at the moment. Is it so wrong for me to be able to lighten up a bit?"
"No, I guess not," muttered Rigel. Neither of them said anything else after that. Pianissimo considered donning Erimus.GMO for a bit, since the environment was fairly warm and the GMO's outfit was considerably lighter than his armor, despite still wearing a jacket. He eventually decided against it, since it was his Requiem identity, and he might not have enough warning to change out of it before Area and Divinity came back.

((Used MiniEnergyPack, +50 HP))
A bright light appeared again, dropping Divinity from the sky who was surrounded by an aura. She came closer to the ground rapidly, but suddenly stopped as she remained floating in the air just above the ground. "I'm back," Divinity said as she slowly walked over at Pianissimo while remaining above the ground, "Didya miss me?" Laughing softly after that, she looked up at the Admin Navi and spoke to him too, "I'm ready again. I'd like to note that my maximum health data has increased. I would appreciate it if you keep this change in your mind. I also have an aura now that protects me from some damage on me." After this she floated over to a spot away from Pianissimo, but close enough to talk to him without shouting.

"So Duke... We've had ice and water... Grass and sand... What do you think will be next...?" muttered Area as she kept her eyes on the PET's screen, her face looking calmer than it was before, "If you look at the elements, we'd have fire and electricity remaining." "Talking about fire..." muttered Divinity as she executed the temporary fire element again and made her hair turn into flames while the gold parts of her armor became dark red, "Better... I'm ready." "I'm ready," said Area quickly after that and glanced over at Duke while Divinity looked at Pianissimo.
Pianissimo drew his katana and kneeled on the ground as Divinity flew away. He didn't answer Divinity's question, nor was he going to. Divinity appeared to have gained a few new tricks, though. "Looks like we'll find out, though," he said, waiting.

"You forget," said Rigel, looking back at Area, his face expressionless. "We could have a poison-based environment. I've seen it before. And with five battles, I hardly think we'd be limited to four environment types."
The Admin Navi smiled and waited for Divinity to finish her rundown of modifications, amused "Aye, madam, I am aware." He waited a moment, giving the Navis time to converse a bit, before he spoke again, his tone a little more serious than it was moments before. "I am sending you the test data now. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask at any time. I am capable of conversing with you regardless of the conditions within the arena." He did not move to initiate a planar shift beforehand this time... He simply stood there, waiting patiently for them to look over the data.

Quote ()

--Terrain Data--
Sand (Entire field)
-Increases Wind attack damage, reverts to Normal when triggered.
-Slows all characters down.
-Causes Blindness when used w/ Panel Shot.
-Causes Blindness when used w/ Gust ability, reverts to Normal afterwards (Wind Type only).
-Causes Blindness when affected by Wind or Fan, reverts to Normal after 5 sustained turns.
-Fire attacks change Sand Panels into Glass Panels.

Glass (for reference)
-Causes all chacters to slip and slide, water worsens the effect.
-Wet glass panels may cause Navis to loose balance and fall, losing 1 to 2 actions to recover.
-Shatters and becomes Broken when hit with Ground effect or Break type attacks, causing splash damage with shards. Damage varies from 10 to 100 points, in increments of 10.
-Causes Splash Effect Damage when used w/ Panel Shot.

Quote ()

--Reference Data--
=Blind: Accuracy is reduced by 50%.
=Northwind: Barriers and Auras are removed.
=Wind Gust: Blows all away from source in one direction.
=Fan Gust: Draws all to source in one direction.
=Splash Effect: Area of effect damage dealt at 1/2 base damage instead of full.
=Slip & Slide Effect: Evasion capability increases, while accuracy decreases.
=Trip Effect: One action is canceled and substituted for a Dodge. A second action may be canceled if RP warrants, but no additional dodge is gained.

A short time later, after they had all had the chance to absorb the information, they would each look back upon the scene to notice it had changed from the lush greens of a golf course to the barren wastes of a trackless desert... Sand... As far as the eye could see... In all directions... Dunes... Valleys... All made of sand...

And everything was eerily quiet.

Almost too quiet...

The admin Navi broke the unnatural silence, wishing them both "Good luck."

Then the sandstorm hit. Divinity's newly acquired aura flew away in the gale-force winds. Visibility dropped to barely 5 feet around of either of the Navi's, the net-sand effectively hashing sight, hearing, and all forms of sensory perception beyond that distance. The noise, like the overall conditions within the arena, was unholy... Pianissimo found the sand to be a nightmare to slog through, easily shifting and giving way beneath his feet, making it hard to move. Divinity found herself to be drifting away quickly, he floating form having no purchase to prevent it...

As if that wasn't enough, dim sources of light began to make themselves known from within the malestrom... What they were happened to be anyone's guess. Some seemed familiar, but one was definitely foreign...

Status

--Enemies--
StormBox Omega: 500 (Wind Mode)
Unknown A: ???
Unknown B: ???
Dim Glow?: ???
Bright Glow A: 50
Bright Glow B: 50
Bright Glow C: 50
Bright Glow D: 50

--Allies--
Divinity: 70 (Blinded) [Fire Element]
Pianissimo: 70 (Blinded)

Field:
Sand
Glass

((Planeswalker Battle 3, BEGIN!!))
Oh joy, more sand, Pianissimo said to himself, looking over the data. Entire field, too. This could turn pretty nasty if we have fire type opponents again. But why hasn't this guy changed the field, yet? At any rate, there's a LOT more to worry about with it this time. Fortunately, I won't be getting any in my eyes. But if there's a sandstorm, it'll still sharply reduce visibility. I shouldn't have too much trouble, my scanners didn't have any problems with that blizzard back in Sharo...this may be different, though. Unfortunately, neither of us are wind type, so we won't be able to use sand to our advantage in that way.

Pianissimo looked up, only to find that the arena HAD changed, into an endless desert, the sand completely untouched. And everything had gone quiet. Too quiet. So quiet that for a moment Pianissimo thought he had activated Enjoy the Silence by accident. Then the admin navi broke the silence, and a deafening roar met his ears, followed by gale-force winds and a horrendous sandstorm. Pianissimo had been right about the effects. His eyes were thankfully sand-free, but he could only see clearly for five feet, if even that much. Suddenly, the glow of viruses started moving through the sand. Were they affected by the sandstorm? They should be. No virus should be able to see just as clearly through this mess as without it. Unless they were blind to begin with.

Pianissimo turned his scanners to their fullest power, but with no luck. He couldn't identify the glowing viruses, or find the source of the wind. He tried to piece together everything they told him, along with that little he could see, hear, or feel. The wind...much more powerful than the average windbox...probably a stormbox, since it isn't drawing all the air towards it...yet. One...two...three...no, four viruses are close by. 50HP. Another one is quite a distance away. HP unknown. That's five viruses, plus a very powerful windbox-based one. Even with this storm, there has to be more than that. The he felt their presence. Two more. No light, but I can somehow feel them. Also fairly far from my current position. First priority, find out what those are. "Divinity," he called out, seeing her a couple feet away. "I'm going to go searching for the other three viruses. Can you take out those four?" It didn't seem like she could hear him. Great, now what? Then he thought of something...the only thing he could think of. Sure, he'd dealt with this before. Namely every time he'd used Enjoy the Silence. But in those instances, he preferred to discuss strategy BEFORE killing the sound.

Pianissimo pulled up his chip selection menu. Shotgun's pretty fast, it won't be too adversly affected by the wind. Heatshot...no. That'll probably result in a bunch of glass shards flying at my face. So as well as shotgun how about...cannon and thunder. Cannon for the same reason as the shotgun, and thunder because it's energy-based but not heatshot. Pianissimo selected the chips, which Rigel sent. Rigel also said something, but with the roar of wind and sand Pianissimo didn't hear it. Noticing this, Rigel sent a message, which floated before Pianissimo for a moment in blue letters:
'KEEP IN MIND, THEY MIGHT BE FIRE TYPES'.
But of course, thought Pianissimo, who had considered this himself. Now to send Divinity a signal. He activated the shotgun chip, which produced twin gun barrels on his right arm. Bracing the arm with his left, Pianissimo took aim. Wait a minute. It may not have much time to be affected by the wind, but it'll certainly do something. In response, Pianissimo aimed the shotgun a little to the side, slightly into the wind. After he fired at one of the bright glows, the projectile was quickly obscured from view. Hopefully, he could get the message across now, though. He pointed at Divinity, then at the bright glowing viruses, then made a slashing motion with his hand, signifying to attack them.

Hoping that Divinity understood, Pianissimo trudged through the sand in the direction of the dimly glowing virus. It was probably blind too, but moving the way he was still just begged for the other viruses to do target practice with him. Guess I'll screw with that one, then he said to himself, drawing his katana. He touched the katana to his left hand, charged with the thunder chip data, creating a large ball of lightning. Pianissimo directed it towards the dim glow before sheathing his katana and aiming his right arm slightly upwind again. The arm morphed into a large green cannon, which Pianissimo fired.
Okay, gotta move NOW!

Pianissimo managed to get his feet close enough to the surface of the sand to jump forward. Slightly into the wind, but definitely out of line with the dim glow. He only managed a few feet before landing once again in the sand and rolling to a stop. He looked up, hoping to see something other than the same glows as before.

Shotgun BrightGlowA - 50+splash, aimed slightly into the wind
Thunder DimGlow - 40, energy-based (hopefully unaffected by the wind)
Cannon DimGlow - 40, aimed slightly into the wind
Dodge
"Sand? Again?" muttered Divinity as she read the files just as Pianissimo, "I hope there's some oasis in it, but it doesn't show any water panel information... I guess we're out of luck." Divinity closed the file and opened the other file concerning some other things that'd play in the battle while she kept muttering in herself, "Although I don't have a swimming suit..." Divinity closed the file as well and thought and looked upwards as usual to contact Area. "Hey Area! Mind making a bathing suit later on!?" Divinity shouted with her mouth wide open as she still floated just above the ground that had, without her noticing as she wasn't touching the ground, become an enormous desert. Divinity started to continue shouting again as she kept her face upwards, "And maybe some sunlotion chips, you know! For so-" Her sentence had abruptly ended as a blizzard of sand came upon herself and made her swallow some sand while it became a small pile in her mouth. Turning around quickly, she spitted out on the ground around her while coughing loudly. "AREA!" she shouted as she kept her head downwards to prevent from more sand pestering her face.

"Nothing," said Area as she checked her PET thorougly, "I can't even hear anything anymore... Divinity's voice, Pianissimo's voice, nothing. Just the sound of the sand and the wind blowing... Urgh..." She glanced slightly at Duke, knowing he'd have the same problem as her, then looked back at her PET. "But how," she started and dropped a long pause in her sentence before continueing, "Do I get Divinity to attack...?" On the screen she could still see Divinity with her back towards the enemies and the sand storm and sighed softly at her Navi. "Think think think," she muttered to herself as she closed her eyes and thought about what to do.

Divinity glanced at Pianissimo a few times to see how he reacted to the sand, but seemed to not mind the sand coming in his face that much. Why can't I be cold-hearted like him... Buuu... she thought as she turned her head away again and got pretty much annoyed at the sand coming in her long hair, Why must this battle be so much more frustrating than the previous ones... It's not hard. It just... Frustrates me. Sighing softly she looked at the sand flowing past her with half closed eyes, but then realized the sand wasn't the only moving. Looking at the ground first with a surprised look on her face, she switched her eyesight to Pianissimo and noticed he was pointing at her for a second but that was not the only that she noticed. He was moving sideways slowly and she had to move her head further to keep him in one spot. She understood what Pianissimo tried to tell her, but what she did not understand is why he was moving away without moving his feet. Was he the one moving without moving its feet?

Pianissimo...? Where are you going...? she thought as she kept her eyes on him, eventually being struck by the sand again although her visor managed to keep it out of her eyes. Or... she suddenly thought as she looked downwards again and at the lights she could see in the distance, WHERE AM I GOING!? Looking around for something to hold on to, she frantically moved her arms around for anything solid but without success. Then... she thought as she still had her arms stretched out, I've got to act... Instead of doing nothing... Turning her face now towards the source of the wind, she squinted her eyes slightly and sighed. Area, give me chips.

At that same time, Area started to grin and took out three chips. "But..." she muttered as she glanced over to the three chips in her hand, "How to guide her attacks... She can move freely because of the FloatShoes I installed her, but... Just sitting still will make her an excellent target. I need something to get her to... Move or something. Maybe..." Keeping the three chips between her fingers, she started to press some buttons on her PET to go into the database of her files. More precise, the music files in MP3 format. Softly humming as she scrolled through her lists, she eventually stopped at one and transmitted it over to Divinity. "I hope this'll be good..." she muttered as she looked back at the screen to look at Divinity. She slotted in the three chips one by one and then placed the interface of the screen back to Navi monitoring.

Divinity moved one hand to above her head while she kept the other at her side and closed her eyes slowly. The data from the Battle Chips lined up within Divinity's system to come to effect when she'd ask for it and the MP3 that had been sent started playing within Divinity's mind, blocking it from interference from the sand storm. The song started with a small musical introduction and then a voice came along with the music, as Divinity slowly opened her eyes and started to move. What goes up, must come down, sung the voice as Divinity spun around and floated upwards slightly and then down again without touching the ground. Yet my feet don't touch the ground, continued the voice and Divinity floated forwards against the wind slowly while making a spin with one of her legs stretched to the side. After she put the leg back to its place she spun, making her float upside-down, while the music continued singing, See the world spinning upside-down. And before the song could sung another sentence, she had encased her hands with flames for the attack that she was anticipating. A mighty crash without a sound, rang through Divinity's mind as she thrust both hands out while a fist of flames was launched from them towards one of the light points in the distance. Spinning back to a normal position, she held her hands at her sides while she kept strafing from left to right slightly.

I can feel your every rage, continued the music as Divinity encased her shields with flames again as she stared at the other targets in the distance that had Pianissimo pointed at before. But before she launched her attacks, she complied to the song again as it sung, Step aside I'll turn the page, and Divinity spun to side as if she was the page of a book being turned. Also hoping she'd dodge anything since she had attacked previously with a burning attack which may cause the enemies to spot here from it. Breaking through your crazy maze, the voice in the song sung as she launched the first attack at the first enemy through the 'maze of sand' before her. Knowing that her shield could have a chance at being blown back, she only launched the energy by flinging her shields at them. Like a laser beam my eyes on you! the voice sung as it was coming to the end of a refrain and Divinity swung her other shield at the target to launch the second attack straight after it while noticing small cinders float before her eyes because of the burned sand. The music continued, but it was without lyrics so Divinity just continued to enjoy the music while looking at Pianissimo occasionaly to see if he was doing alright and hoping she wouldn't lose him out of sight.

1. Firehit1 [60+10 Fire] @ BrightGlowB
2. Dodge
3. Heatshot [40+10 Fire, Splash] @ BrightGlowC
4. Heatshot [40+10 Fire, Splash] @ BrightGlowD
The sandstorm was wreaking havoc, hampering Navi and virus alike, degrading the event from a battle to something far less... Pianissimo managed to nail the source of one of the bright glows of light with a shotgun and got a second one as the leftover shotgun pellets were blown into it. Divinity had attempted to tag the virus Pianissimo deleted, but only managed to strike the ground nearby as a sudden gust of wind threw a handful of sand into her face, causing her to flinch.

Thinking it was a good time to make herself scarce, she managed to move just in time to avoid a powerful tornado that seemed to spring up from nowhere where she had been standing... The tornado was short lived, but intense, having ripped away all of the sand beneath its deadly cone.

Pianissimo, meanwhile, attempted a combination attack on the virus that seemed the farthest away. He launched a slow-moving thunder ball and overlapped that attack with a follow-up cannon. The cannon shell, being a great deal faster than the thunder ball, struck the virus first...

....And made it very angry.

The glow vanished without warning... Just as Divinity fired a pair of heat shots into the maelstrom, tagging and erasing another pair of light sources, the virus appeared before Pianissimo... Its robed form burned with an unquenchable fire as it stood, face to face with Pianissimo, radiating hate and malice as much as heat and light. It's hooded form had no face... just an endless abyss of black... and a pair of glowing slanted eyes... It hissed at the Navi, then raised it's staff and vanished again... The glow reappeared as a faint outline behind a solid looking object, only to flash brightly once before the glow was snuffed like a candle...

The sky began to glow red...

Status

--Enemies--
StormBox Omega: 500 (Wind Mode, located in the distance)
Wind Virus? A: ??? (unseen)
Wind Virus? B: ??? (unseen)
Mage Virus?: ??? (Damaged, Hidden, Attacking)
Bright Glow A: Deleted
Bright Glow B: Deleted
Bright Glow C: Deleted
Bright Glow D: Deleted

Allies
Divinity: 70 (Blinded) [Fire Element]
Pianissimo: 70 (Blinded)

Field:
Sand
Glass
"A wind attack," muttered Area as she had monitored Divinity from her own position and commented this after the wind had struck a patch of sand close to Divinity, "And Pianissimo... Was attacked by fire. So we've got danger from, apparently, increased damage... And glass panels which we have seen before..." Area pulled up the chart the Admin Navi had given them previously and looked at the information he had written on it. "Yup," she said as she dragged it away again from the screen and took out three chips. "Still no communication, huh?" Area muttered as she tapped the screen and carefully increased the volume only to be annoyed by the noise of the sand storm again, "Yeah. We'll have to rely on music again." Slotting in the chips, she suddenly started to speak to Duke without taking her sight away from the PET screen, "Try getting closer... Divinity is better up close and personal. She'll follow Pianissimo afterwards."

Back in the Net World, Divinity was still enjoying from the music as she sensed the chip data arriving in her system. Moving her hips playfully from left to right on the rhythm of the music, she held her arms out to the sides while the shields started to rotate while staying attached to her wrists. The voice in the music returned after a musical part and continued to sing again, I won't even hesitate. Rotating faster and faster, the shields created an electric energy around them in the form of a ring. The rings were completely within a split second on the rhythm of the music and she flung the first one at the Stormbox she had seen for that one second in the musical part of her song. A second left to alter fate! I tried to strike but I hit too late, sung the music again as Divinity swung her other arm. But she only swung it, she didn't release the attack to strike their enemy. Twirling around in the air, she swung her arm again as the voice in the song sung, I got to look at my own rate! and this time released the attack as the ring flew through the air towards the Stormbox.

Watch me blow the night away! sung the music as Divinity spun to the right with one of her legs stretched out. She immediately spun back to the left, but further than her original position as the music sung, Watch me save the day! And with those last words, she created the energy necessary for her last attack as her entire body engulfed in flames. Feels like a storm is gettin' close, was sung as Divinity collected the fire energy from her body into her right hand and threw it after her previous projectiles towards the same Stormbox while the voice shouted in her mind, Headin' your waaaay! She made another twirl after this, enjoying the musical piece that came after those last words in the song.

"Duke," Area spoke as she counted the attacks that flew away from Divinity and immediately reacted after the third attack, "Pianissimo's time now. Get close to the bastards. I'm getting sick of all this goddamn sand in my goddamn PET." Shaking her PET slightly as if it'd be a logical reaction to seeing 'sand' on your PET's screen, she awaited what would happen and hoped Divinity wouldn't get herself blown up randomly.

1. Zapring1 [40 Elec; Stun] @ Stormbox
2. Zapring1 [40 Elec; Stun] @ Stormbox
3. Dodge
4. Heatshot [40+10 Fire, Splash] @ Stormbox
"Getting closer? Hm...I think we can do that," Rigel said in response to Area's suggestion. He pulled up an artificial keyboard, and started typing. "I can send him messages fairly easily even in this mess. We're used to working in conditions where verbal communication is impossible, see." This was true. With how much Pianissimo would eliminate the sound in the net, a lack of nonverbal communication was simply inviting disaster. But there were other problems...the sky in the net world had suddenly turned a fiery red.

In the net world, Pianissimo watched the skies as they suddenly turned red. That virus...it was robed and in flames, and carried some sort of staff. It had disappeared, and reappeared behind something that appeared to be a box. Stormbox location confirmed, Pianissimo said as he realized what it was and reactivated his scanners. Position...distance. Okay, targeting complete. The stormbox is stationary, so I can attack at any time. That, however, was when the glow had vanished and the sky turned red. The attack pattern, though he had never actually seen it himself, was awfully familiar... a teleporting fire virus that looked a bit like a hooded mage, and presumably fire attacks from above...

Then it hit him.

Back in the real world, Rigel had just typed up a message recommending that he attack the box from up close, when Pianissimo sent him one. The letters burned red on the screen, which Pianissimo only did in very serious situations.

'METEORS'

Rigel froze. The only viruses that used meteor attacks were the mettfire family, which had disappeared from the net over ten years ago. If they had never been seen on the net for so long...why would they be in a colosseum environment? The worst part was that the fire-based falling rocks would certainly change most of the nearby desert to glass, and probably shatter it as well. Conditions had gone from manageable to hellish. Very quickly, at that. Though it explained the red sky, it didn't help the situation much. Then, a second message came through, not in red, but the normal color. 'Send a heatshot, but leave it at that. I think I know where that thing ended up.' "Well, that simplifies things," Rigel muttered, slotting in the chip. "Don't worry. I'm sure he's going to be getting closer. In fact...he'll probably end up right behind that thing," he added to Area, looking back at the PET. He switched the viewing mode to a 3D hologram projection, waiting to see what Pianissimo was planning.

Pianissimo looked around. The red sky and vast expanse of sand prevented him from finding a decent sized shadow, but each grain of sand was casting its own. This was something he hadn't tried before, dissolving piece by piece into small shadows. But as he thought he heard something fall from the sky, he knew that if there was a first for such a thing, this was it. Pianissimo closed his eyes...and slowly dissolved into the sandstorm. A few seconds later, from behind the stormbox, something disturbed the sand. Suddenly, Pianissimo burst out, katana drawn, before leaping towards the stormbox. He had his sword pointing in front of him during the entire flight, before stabbing into the back of the stormbox, grabbing the framework, and springing off of it. Landing a few feet away, he activated the heatshot. A large flamethrower with five slots on either side took the place of his right arm. Pianissimo aimed it between pieces of the frame on the back. Five small explosions could be heard, each sending a small burst of fire and puff of smoke out one slot on each side, before a large fireball was shot, aimed right at the blades of the fan.

1. C&D Prep/dodge
2. Cloak And Dagger from BEHIND the stormbox - 90, unavoidable
3. dodge
4. Heatshot Stormbox - 40 + splash, fire
Pianissimo, only with difficulty, manages to melt into the shadows of the storm, teleporting clear across the battlefield... And none too soon, as a meteor fell from the heavens and blasted the space he had occupied less than 3 seconds ago to cinders... Divinity, moving to a beat only she could hear, threw her first Zapring through the resulting fireball... A second meteor struck the ground near the first, with earth shaking force, as Divinity hurled the second Zapring at the Stormbox.

The first Zapring struck a heartbeat before Pianissimo emerged from the shadows behind the boxy virus like a wraith, moving towards his target over the carpeted ground. Something complained indignantly underfoot as he stepped forward and silently stabbed the stunned virus... Without breaking his stride, or heeding the agonized plaintative noises rising from below his feet, he planted a foot on the back of the black Stormbox as if he meant to walk up its backside, leveraged himself up, and kicked off in a backwards flip that landed him a short distance back.

The second Zapring hit while Pianissimo was airborne, causing the sandstom to abruptly weaken, and then die altogether, as the wind stopped blowing. This gave Divinity (and Pianissimo, both) a clear view of the battlefield... Which was quite fortunate, as she saw the tornado barreling towards her, and literally danced her way clear of it's path. The last meteor impacted closer to the windbox, creating a moderate sized mushrooming explosion that left another pool of molten glass behind, that quickly hardened into a sheet of fragile prismatic beauty.

The metfire screamed what was, undoubtedly, a venomous curse at Pianissimo as it rose from the spot it had rested in behind the Stormbox. Flames igniting as the robe rose, filled, and took shape... It vanished from view with a terrified shriek as Pianissimo and Divinity aimed their heatshots, and fired. The two fireballs, traveling from opposite directions, struck the Stormbox simultaneously... The resulting combined explosion scorching it badly... The explosion flared outward, fore and aft of the Stormbox, the flaring back drafts melting the surrounding sand into yet more glass...

As the dust settled, their mysterious enemies were at last revealed... Large red-painted turbines made their way around the field on a quartet of rollers, their propellers spinning up with the promise of more deadly tornados... And over half of the battlefield had been changed into glass... The Metfire had survived the attack, and was teleporting rapidly around the field, hurling curses in it's own language as it did so.

Status

--Enemies--
StormBox Omega: 240 (Paralyzed)
Wind Virus? A: 100
Wind Virus? B: 100
MetFire: 60 (Dodging... and cursing Pianissimo's great grandchildren)

--Allies--
Divinity: 70 [Fire Element]
Pianissimo: 70

Field:
Glass
Sand
Pianissimo looked out past the stunned stormbox to find the battlefield drastically altered from before the sandstorm hit. The once perfect expanse of nothing but sand was now disturbed by wind and fire. Crystalline sheets of glass now dotted the battlefield everywhere that the meteors had landed. The last two unidentified viruses had been revealed...MOVING fan things. And the mettfire was teleporting randomly, making quite a racket as it cursed him. That thing's getting very annoying. Perhaps I should shut him up?

In fact, now that things could be heard in the absense of the roaring wind, the resulting sound got annoying really fast. The robed virus's cursing, the rumble of the turbine viruses, the sputtering stormbox that was trying to start blowing again...and failing...all made for a rather distracting battle. "Divinity..." he whispered, though it carried across the battlefield fairly well. "If you have anything to say, say it now. Otherwise, you'll have to resort to miming things again." Instead if immediately cutting the sound as he drew his katana, he jumped onto the windbox to hopefully avoid standing in the glass, bent over the back to slash at the fan's motor, then jumped back off, springing into a flip that carried him several feet to the side of the stormbox, where he touched down in the sand and rolled to a stop. He turned to look toward Divinity and closed his eyes, causing the red glow in the eyepieces of his helmet to dim significantly.

Pianissimo grasped the hilt of his katana, which he had at some point aptly named Silensword, tightly in one hand and slashed the air. A loud crack was heard, causing Pianissimo to wince slightly, then a rushing not much different than the roar of the sandstorm that had recently died, and then the mettfire's cursing, the roar of the turbines, and the sputtering of the stormbos, all faded into nothing. Pianissimo knocked the blunt side of the sword against his leg, but no clank from the armor could be heard. Perfect silence, as usual. Now to start wrapping things up. Pianissimo depressed the emblem on the back of his hand, and the usual menu popped up. I've already dealt the stormbox what will hopefully be a crippling blow. And I'm not alone, so I don't have to do everything myself. How about... Pianissimo selected the two powerbolt chips. I give Divinity a break from those rampant tornados.

The eyes of his helmet brightened again as Pianissimo scanned the wind viruses.

Identification unknown. HP: 100. Attacks by blowing tornados at the target.

The information would have to be enough.

Hitting a moving target was always difficult. However, with how slow the red fan viruses were moving, it shouldn't be too difficult. A giant turbine on rollers didn't seem likely to be very fast in the first place. Nonetheless, as Pianissimo focused the powerbolt energy into his hands, he decided to lead the target somewhat. Aiming the epicenter of the energy column slightly, but no more than a foot, ahead of the turbine viruses, Pianissimo plunged his hands into the sand and released the data, sending columns of energy up from below the turbines.

1. Silencer Stormbox - 120
2. Enjoy the Silence - 10 damage to self, increase chip damage by 30 for one turn.
3. Powerbolt Wind Virus A - 70+30
4. Powerbolt Wind Virus B - 70+30
"Area!" shouted Divinity as she sensed the wind around here dying and eventually disappearing entirely. "Your plan worked, Area!" she continued and got a sigh as only reply. "Of course," Area said eventually and took out three chips, "Take off your shields. Quickly." Divinity looked down at her shields for a few seconds, then nodded as she took them off and made them float in the air. "It's time to use... That," Area said while squinting her eyes. The crosses on Divinity's shields started to shine as an orb came out of each. She spread her wings as she grabbed the orbs as they formed rapiers. "But what will the shields do...?" Divinity asked as she looked at each for a second. "For quick execution of the attacks, they'll have to be dismounted already or we won't get the intended target," Area replied and looked at Pianissimo on Divinity's screen, "OK, it's time... Charge now." Not immediately realizing what she meant, she turned to look at Pianissimo and noticed he had drawn his blade. "Is this...?" she muttered softly as she saw him slash the air, producing a wave of air that nullified the sound within it. "I'm coming!" she shouted as she spread her wings to their full sizes and held her rapiers to her sides while keeping her arms stretched out.

Flapping the wings a few times, she launched herself forwards as she floated above the ground and felt as if she had broken an air barrier as she entered the still expanding area of Pianissimo's special ability. The sound of her beating wings could not be heard anymore just as the wind she was passing while heading for the Stormbox that was causing her previous problems. The shields of Divinity floated to a place in the air as they were controlled by Area with her PET. She stopped moving her wings and glided through the air as she moved her body sideways while pulling her right rapier to the left side. In a swift movement, she threw her rapier at the Stormbox while immediately moving back into her previous position while beating her wings rapidly to fly towards the Stormbox.

Only having one sword left now she held it diagonally in front of her body as she charged for the Stormbox. Kneeling down, but still floating, she held the sword close to the ground as she jumped into the air to float over the Stormbox. Slashing out at the Stormbox as it was below, she let go off her sword to keep it stuck in the Stormbox if she managed to hit it. Turning her head to the other viruses, she noticed Pianissimo was attacking the two wind creators while the other one continued to disappear constantly while reappearing elsewhere. At least it shut up... thought Divinity but then thought back of the reason why it was cursing, Pianissimo... I've got to attack that virus before it attacks Pianissimo! AREA! A grin appeared of Area's face as she continued to control the shields and slotted in a chip. The shields slammed against each other in the air and floated rapidly to Divinity as she flew out towards the last virus but couldn't keep up with its transporting.

She abruptly stopped her movement as she saw something familiar appear in her eyesight. My shields! she shouted in her mind as she saw the shields floating before her and, as if she was forced by a program, she slammed her right hand into the bottom of the shields as a hole appeared in it. Grabbing the hilt created within the fusion of the two shields she held it up into the air as a large blade, quadruple the size of her normal rapiers, of energy was created flowing from the fused shields. Even with such weapon... Wait... she thought as she kept her eyes tight on the movements of the transporting enemy and waited for the best time to strike. NOW! she shouted in her mind and disappeared from sight entirely as a light swallowed her and her newly formed blade.

Two can play that game! she shouted within her mind as she appeared behind the Metfire virus after using the AreaGrab chip that Area had sent previously. As if the blade was made of nothing but thin air, she slashed at the virus with a blinding speed that created a temporary gash in the air. Don't insult my friends... she muttered within her mind as the energy blade disappeared from the shields. Falling apart, the shields de-fused again and floated back to their respective places on Divinity's wrists while attaching themselves to it.

1. Sword1 [80 DMG; Multiple Attacks] @ Stormbox
2. Sword2 [80 DMG; Multiple Attacks] @ Stormbox
3. AreaGrab [Instant Teleport] @ Melee Reach of Metfire
4. KaiserBlade [60 DMG; Piercing Barriers/Guards; IC Speed] @ Metfire
The navis' spectacular swordswork made quick work of the massive Stormbox, slicing and scoring the circuitry thereof. In a sputter of sparks and gears, it collapsed upon itself into a useless pile of rubble, sending a dark plume of smoke high into the air. The desert fighters quickly prepared themselves for their next onslaught, but were caught off guard by the burst of wind generated by the strange new viruses. The twin fans started up their spiraling attack just as Pianissimo stole the sound from the scene.

Unable to track the navis via sound, the sinister stormcrafters simply sent a cyclonic burst of air in the general direction of Pianissimo and Divinity. Instantly, shards of glass and sand swept upward, slicing into the dynamic duo in a painful, stinging wind. Divinity managed to escape with minimal damage due to her areagrab (10), and neatly skewered her opponent. Pianissimo, unfortunately, took the full brunt of the scything storm (30) before putting down the offending viruses with an upward burst of energy.

"Congratulations," muttered the administrator "You're doing quite well. Combat aptitude is top-notch, but..." he shook his head, "you really ought to work at interacting with your environment if you want top marks for the remaining trials."

((Third Reward Earned))

--Enemies--
StormBox Omega: Deleted
Wind Virus? A: Deleted
Wind Virus? B: Deleted
MetFire: Deleted

--Allies--
Divinity: 60 [Fire Element]
Pianissimo: 40

Field:
Glass
Sand
"Interacting with the environment? We've been doing that. Or do you mean consistantly?" Pianissimo muttered, remembering the puffball falling through a glass patch and into a bottomless pit. He kicked up some sand, supposing he could've used it for a bit more than dissolving into a sandstorm. Then he cringed as he aggravated a wind-scythe wound on his leg. The armor was still intact and had sealed back over it, but the wound itself was still there. The best that could be said was that he wouldn't get sand in it.

Getting back up, he looked at Divinity. She appeared to be much less injured than he was, but it was worth asking anyway. "You okay?" he said in his usual faint voice, shaking some more sand off his hands and walking over to her.
"If you want us to interact with the environment as much as possible, then you should provide chips we can temporarily use for such battles," said Divinity as she tilted her head to the right side slightly. She then shrugged and spoke to him again, "We'll do our best." She remained floating above the ground, thinking of how to use the panel system they were testing could be utilized more while she remained her position in the air. Slowly flapping her wings a few times, she turned to Pianissimo and started to speak to him.

"I am fine, thank you. I'll survive. This armor isn't just made to make me look good. But what about you? That's some bad wound, you got there," she said as she floated towards him slowly. Holding her hand out to him so he'd stop in front of her, she kneeled down in her floating position and held a hand on his leg softly. "Only a scratch..." she muttered as she practically downloaded her friends well-being into her system so she'd know if something was wrong. Standing up slowly, she merely smiled at him and said, "Don't worry. I'll protect you if it gets difficult for you."
Pianissimo rolled his eyes at Divinity's comment about her armor. "It's not that bad," he said in response to her concern about his injuries. "I've had worse. Much worse." The armor was doing its job, so he would be fine. It wasn't like his entire right arm had become useless again or something.

Divinity had checked the wound, stood back up, and said something about protecting him if things got too rough. "Heh, I appreciate the concern," he said, the eyepieces of his helmet darkening so his eyes were no longer visible. "However, I don't plan on becoming a burden anytime soon. Not in my nature."
The Admin Navi nodded to Divinity as Pianissimo finished speaking, and added his own two cents to the conversation... which turned into dollars shortly after: "Fear not for your friend's safety. You've made it far enough and faced steep enough odds that I believe a little medical aid wouldn't be out of the questions... His mild voice trailed of on a rising, perhaps amused note, as he raised his left arm in benediction, as if to bless the two Navis. He made a strange hand motion causing the two Navis' wounds to vanish and their strength to return. In fact, the pair felt strangely better than they had before the event...

"There now." ...he said as he lowered his arm once again... "As for your other concern, I cannot provide you with additional battlechip data during the event. But..." He smiled... "...I believe I can provide you with an environment that lends itself to interaction. His smile faded, and his tone became cautionary... "However, unlike the previous battles, you will not be provided with data on your surroundings. Interacting with the environment you will be provided with will be key to your survival in this battle to a much greater extent than your individual capabilities. He paused for a moment, then gave them a final "Good hunting."

A sudden flash of light... Then the world went blank and silent, both.

When their vision returned, Pianissimo and Divinity were standing dead in the center of a great castle's courtyard, complete with and completely surrounded by fortified walls. The great garden-like octagonal courtyard spread out before them, complete with polished stone walkways, colorful beds of flowers, groves of trees, polished stone fountains and pools, and vast expanses of ankle-deep grass with rectangular patches of polished stone in their centers... A garden paradise warded by pristine castle walls.

Behind them, a monumental three hundred foot tall polished alabaster spire, carved to resemble a Rook and covered in runic symbols, stood in silent watch over the gardens of the great courtyards. Eight enormous tapestries, hung at precise intervals from a stone ring three quarters of the way up the spire, bore the standard of the lord of the castle (whoever he may be), emblazoned on a strange blue cloth that shifted color from light to dark depending on how the light hit it... The Rook-esque tower's turret held an enormous crystal sphere in it's stony grasp, shining brightly in the artificial sunlight... Strangely, the tower had no entrances.

Even the castle walls encircling the garden sanctuary were aesthetically pleasing, even from this distance, a good 300 (plus) feet away. Made of the same polished, pristine stone as the spire, the solid stone walls stood several stories high, with open arched gates and long, sloping, almost decorative, ramps leading from the inner courtyard to the tops of the battlements.

A window appeared in front of each of the Navis before they could take any more of the scenery in... It was a window showing them live streaming video... of themselves? The wired part was that the point of view was from far above, looking almost directly down at them... looking at their screens of streaming video. Any move they made was clearly visible on-screen, and in real-time. After a few moments, the observer's point of view zoomed out, then looked upwards... or rather, outwards, over and beyond the castle walls, to a vast grassy plain with rolling hills...

There, almost a kilometer distant, faint dots could be seen moving on the horizon... The observer zoomed his point of view in on those dots... which revealed them to be a battalion of viruses! In the lead was a single green Swordy (a strange color for a Swordy, to be sure), followed by a double line of six (normal) gray Swordies (a dozen). Behind them, what looked like a pair of angry mountains (for lack of a better description), with hulking stone arms and deep frowns, ground their way forward, each carrying a bullet shaped virus that neither Navi recognized in their hands.

The green Swordy stopped and raised its blade, signaling the force of viruses to come to a halt. The massive stone viruses set down their cargo while the Swordies fanned out in front of them...

Meanwhile....

The castle gates suddenly slammed closed, and openings in the arches appeared... The garden of paradise vanished, leaving only stone walkways and grass behind, still encircled by the fortress walls. Siege crossbows, loaded with an endless supply of ethereal bolts, appeared atop the castle walls, mounted to allow castle defenders a generous firing arc.... Ballistae appeared on the battlement towers, with ethereal shafts stacked nearby.... And massive trebuchets, easily the size of a school building, materialized on those seemingly useless patches of stone out in the courtyards themselves; their hamster-wheel-like paired tensioner mechanisms ready to provide the massive weapons with their awesome launching power.... All of the weapons appeared fully functional.

The green Swordy then signaled the attack with a chip of his sword, and the viruses surged forwards.

The siege was on.

-----------------------------------

--Enemies--

--Storm Squad-- (Outside the castle walls, 2 turns to standard attack range, within siege range, all charging)
Swordy EX: 90 [Regeneration]
SwordyA: 60
SwordyB: 60
SwordyC: 60
SwordyD: 60
SwordyE: 60
SwordyF: 60
SwordyG: 60
SwordyH: 60
SwordyI: 60
SwordyJ: 60
SwordyK: 60
SwordyL: 60

--Siege Squad-- (Outside the castle walls, 3 turns to standard attack range, within siege range, all preparing to attack)
Mountain? A: 120 [Stonebody]
Mountain? B: 120 [Stonebody]
Bullet? A: 100 [Ironbody]
Bullet? B: 100 [Ironbody]

--Allies--
Divinity: 120 [Fire Element] (Inside the castle walls, at the base of the Spire)
Pianissimo: 140 (Inside the castle walls, at the base of the Spire)

Field:
Normal
Grass
Holy (Polished Alabaster Stone)
Looking around at the garden she was caught by the scene before her and spoke to Pianissimo, "Doesn't it look beautiful? Who could imagine such a place existed in the net world. Then again, what can't we make these days..." She took a few steps over the grass below them, her boots making no sound on it as she had returned to the ground instead of floating, and pointed at a place while turning her face towards Pianissimo. "Hey, do you have any food? Maybe we can take a break and have a picnic." But as she said this and looked at Pianissimo, she also saw the huge tower behind them and tilted her head backwards to look at the top. "Now that's big..." she muttered and kept staring at it.

But her sight was quickly torn away from the building as she saw the floating window before her and held it with a hand on each side to look closely at it. "Hey! Pianissimo!" she shouted at her companion, "That's us! Wait..." She held her face closer to the screen and then looked at Pianissimo, "Do I look fat? This new outfit shows my skin and well..." Letting go off the screen as it remained floating before her, she held her hands on her stomach while softly pinching it, "Do I look good? Doesn't this look wrong...?" She held her hands off her stomach again and turned around to show Pianissimo her back while also looking at her own back with the video window.

"Hey... Hey!" she said as the video shifted its position to another place in the field they were standing in. "Oh..." she muttered as she turned around again and pointed at the dots on the window, one by one, while talking to Pianissimo and Area, "I don't think they're here for the picnic... There are an awful lot." She sighed as she turned to look into the distance where the actual dots where, instead of the video window, and spoke softly in a whiny voice, "Why do they bring out so many enemies for us to defeat just to test... Ah well, it can't be helped." She grabbed the window with one hand and flung it towards the dots in the distance while programs deep within herself became activated for the coming battle. Looking at the window fly away, she saw the gates close before them and crush the window she had thrown. "Oops... I guess we can't get out now..." she muttered and looked up at the walls.

"Pianissimo, I'll hold them off from the castle walls. You try something with those things behind us," Divinity said as her shields started to light up brightly. The emotions of her face shifted from her usual self to serious before she shouted at Pianissimo again, "Don't worry about me! Attack them!" Lifting herself from the ground again with the power of her FloatShoes program, she twirled around while releasing four celestial crosses of energy from her shields. The crosses began to twirl around Divinity like guardians of light, while Divinity stopped spinning around and faced the group of enemies before the duo.

The crosses now moving around her frantically, she slowly started to walk towards the ramp on the wall as her feet stepped upon the air below them and held a hand into the air. A bright light came from her silver halo that slowly started to cover her entire armor and skin. Her body had eventually been swallowed in the light and emerged from it with the gold parts of her body entirely silver, just a tad darker than the rest of the silver on her armor, while bringing her arms to the sides. "Area, I'm protected now. Send me the attack," said Divinity quietly while looking at Pianissimo and hoping he had already started to execute offensive attacks.

"I've got it, yes. There's a bunch of enemies," said Area as she looked through her chips. "It'd be wise to take down a lot in the begin... We'll focus on single enemies afterwards," she continued after taking the chip she had in mind out of her pack and slotted it into the PET.

Divinity held her right arm as she suddenly started to run while her feet refused to touch the ground, but only the air below it. Going up the ramp, she ended up on the top of the walls and looked at the surroundings of Pianissimo and her castle. A green glow came from the shield she had held out to the right as it started to configure the Boomerang data for the next attack. She brought her left hand to her mouth and held a finger softly on her lower lip while turning her head to the sky. A shame Druidman can't be here... she thought and turned her head to the enemies, No daydreaming! I've got to attack! While flinging her right arm to the left she looked at the enemies that came marching for the castle and looked for a good spot to attack. Positioning her feet and body so that her right side would be towards the enemies, similar to an archer, she kept her eyes on the targets. "Almost..." she muttered while squinting her eyes a bit, "Closer... Now!" With a swift movement, she flung her right arm to the back of her body while releasing the shield from her wrist to fly out to the enemies. She kept looking at the shield as it passed her defensive crosses and flew over the green planes below her to strike the opponents. Knowing that it'd return eventually, she held her right arm before her and waited silently.

1. Angelic Gift [4 1-hit Barriers] @ Divinity.
2. Justice Aura [60 HP Barrier; Barrier heals 20 start of each turn] @ Divinity.
3. Get on the castle walls at the front.
4. Boomerang [60 Wood; Multiple Targets] @ Swordy group & SwordyEX.
Pianissimo closed his eyes as the healing energy washed over him. He stood back up, now feeling better than before the event. "See?" he said to Divinity. "No problems here." He was smiling. Even though it was only slightly, such was a very rare thing for Pianissimo. "An environment than lends itself to interaction? Like a dense forest or something?" he asked the admin navi, almost hopeful. So many places to hide, so many ways to take down the enemy and never even be seen. It would be perfect.

The world went blank. The desert vanished, leaving nothing but emptiness. It would've been the perfect battleground for a straight fight, but as usual, it wouldn't last. The next thing he knew, he was in the middle of a castle courtyard. It wasn't what he expected, but he guessed it would work. The surrounding walls were fortified, and there had to be plenty of corridors to hide in and attack from somewhere. Even the fountains could be used in a pinch, and if all else failed, he could climb the battlements or, in extreme cases, scale the spire and rain death on the enemies.

Somewhere in examining all the possible ways to use the castle courtyard in a battle, Pianissimo was lost in the beauty of it. He had never seen an environment on the net quite like this, and it contrasted so sharply with the bleak expanse of his homepage or even the endless ice fields of Sharo that he was momentarily stunned. It was truly a garden of paradise. "Simply amazing," he said at some point while staring, then Divinity's comment about food brought him back only enough to look at her and chuckle slightly. "I almost wish I thought to bring some," he said before looking up along with her. The spire he had considered scaling was easily three hundred feet in height. Even getting to the ring where the standards hung, flashing in the light, would've been extraordinarily difficult. Getting to the crystal sphere set into the top would be nearly impossible. Pianissimo adjusted the light setting on his helmet so that he could see it more clearly, taking in the dazzling brilliance that wasn't lost even among three hundred feet of height difference. "Perhaps I should consider adding at least some element of this to my homepage," he whispered.

Pianissimo finally managed to tear his eyes away from the magnificent spire, just in time to see a floating window blip into existance in front of him. He took it in both hands to look, just as Divinity made the near obvious observation that they were looking at themselves from above. And...Divinity was being self-conscious about her appearance.
"(Did she just ask you if she looked fat? Do NOT answer that. You MUST not answer that.)" Rigel whispered to him on a private channel.
"(And suddenly you're the one who knows these things? I already told you I have no interest. Nevertheless, you're right.)"
Pianissimo turned back to the display as it zoomed out, now showing them from quite a distance above. Pianissimo turned back to the crystal set into the spire. Was it...?

The point of view shifted, now showing the expanse of field beyond the castle walls. Small dots were moving in the field, but he wasn't sure what. The window zoomed into the dots. Were those...enemy knights? No, they were Swordy viruses. Close enough. A green one was at the head of the column, probably feeling rather special as a commander. There were also two mountain looking viruses and two bullet looking viruses that Pianissimo had never seen before. Pianissimo turned back to Divinity. "Looks like an invasion force to me. Probably here to lay siege. We could probably go out and meet them before they get here, but..." He tapped each swordy image on the window in turn. "Twelve of them, plus their commander and four others. I doubt we'd survive a direct confrontation." Pianissimo looked back at the screen. The viruses had stopped. Suddenly he heard loud slamming around him, and he looked to see the castle gates slam shut and various siege weapons appear all around him. "Well...that solves the problem of how we fight without going directly to them.

The commander signaled, and the viruses charged forward. "I'll be fine for cover, don't worry," Pianissimo said before making a break for the nearest non-spire tower. He threw the door open and started up the spiral staircase inside, meanwhile turning the com link back on. "Duke, I'm going to need your help with this. I know nothing about this form of combat."

In the real world, Rigel smirked. "Wow, you need me for something other than sending chips for once. That's a first."
"The smart remarks aren't necessary. Do you know anything about defending castles?"
"Well, I can help you operate the siege weapons, if nothing else. Like that ballista you almost tripped over."

Pianissimo was at the top, and had indeed almost tripped over the back of the slider of one of a few ballistas pointed in between the battlements. Several long ballista bolts were propped against the walls. Pianissimo picked one up. "Looks a bit like a lance. So what do I do? Do I load this thing as it is, or will I have to add chip data for it to work?"
"Should work either way, but chip data wouldn't hurt. Try this." Rigel sent a heatshot. Rather than forming a flame gun on Pianissimo's arm, however, it created a torch, as well as engulfing the head of the bolt Pianissimo was holding in flammable goo. Pianissimo set the bolt on the slider, resting the butt of the bolt against the claw. Once it was secure, he pulled back on the claw, but nothing happened.
"You'll have to twist the winches on the back," Rigel pointed out, a hologram appearing next to Pianissimo. The hologram indicated the metal crank-looking pieces on the back.
"Right. Can't make this simple, can they?" Pianissimo sighed, grabbing the winches and twisting them. The claw slowly moved back on the slider as he did this.
"If it was designed so you could just pull it back, I doubt even that crazy brawler guy we fought alongside in Sharo during that wild goose chase could pull it all the way back. Simplicity isn't the problem."

Pianissimo finally managed to crank the claw all the way back. "Now what?"
"Now you have to aim it. You'll get your maximum distance with about forty-five degrees, but you might want to go a bit shorter than that, since they enemy is moving and you want to lead them a bit."
"Why forty-five?" Pianissimo asked, trying to adjust the angle.
"At forty-five degrees, vertical and horizontal velocities will be equal. If you offset the two, you lose distance. Any higher and you lose horizontal velocity. Any lower and you lose vertical velocity, which means less flight time. And no, the increase in the other component doesn't offset the loss. Don't even ask. Anyway, your maximum range is about a kilometer, but like I said you're going to-"
"One more question. Are you sure you used to be a Computer Science teacher? Only that sounded an awful lot like a Physics lecture."
The hologram was noticeably impatient now. "Just because I don't teach it doesn't mean I don't know anything about the damn subject. Back to what I was saying, your maximum range is about a kilometer, maybe more, but you're going to want to go less than that for reasons I already said. Also because you'll lose accuracy with too much distance. Now can we start firing before these guys get too close?"

"Sorry," Pianissimo said, finally figuring out how to adjust the angle. He set it slightly lower than forty-five degrees, then cranked it lower still, hoping to adjust for the moving target. "Okay, now to light the flammable goo...stuff," he muttered, grabbing the torch once again and holding the flame against the bolt head. The goo immediately burst into flames. Pianissimo stepped away, trying to figure out how to actually fire the thing, before spotting a lever connected to the claw, or at least something holding the claw in one place. Pianissimo gave a mighty groan as he pushed the lever, which would barely budge at first, but then almost fell over. A loud CRACK was heard as the claw and bowstring shot forward, and the flaming projectile went flying forward and over the castle walls. Hoping like hell that he didn't hit Divinity, he looked back at the ballista. Half of the entire frame was vibrating like crazy. He would have to wait a bit before firing another shot.

"Using that thing again will have to wait," Pianissimo told Rigel.
"Well, try not to give our bullet and mountain soldiers a chance to get a shot in on you, at least," Rigel answered, the hologram wandering back down the staircase until he was completely below the level of the rooftop. "Down here." Pianissimo nodded and walked down the staircase as well until he could no longer see over the top. "I'll use this to see them for now," he said, pulling out the window he suspected was a live feed from something in the crystal sphere atop the spire.

1: Set Ballista
2: Load Heatshot into Ballista
3: Fire Ballista @ SwordyEX
4. Dodge