Magic: The Gathering thread

I hereby call forth a meeting of the masters of Magic: The Gathering, to give others tips, tricks, and ideas for decks. Share your ideas, decks, and all other things Magic.

By the way, I do have a question. Is there anything useful for a Goblin Rogue/Fear mono-black deck? Like, REAL useful?

Thanks.
Oh, good lord. Last time I played this was 6-7 years ago?

On holiday somewhere.

There were triangle shaped houses.
It all depends on how you play, Kuj. I'm not too familiar with the current Type 2 scene, you'd probably better ask Medic about that. I play Magic the manly way: Casual Type 1. I play with a mono-white weenie deck sporting some of the most powerful white spells in the game. Wrath, Balance, Tax, Swords, and even Humility for shits. I enjoy playing with it, but I'm getting bored with that setup, so I'm considering building an old school tribal red gobs deck, or a black-blue mill.

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

It all depends on how you play, Kuj. I'm not too familiar with the current Type 2 scene, you'd probably better ask Medic about that. I play Magic the manly way: Casual Type 1. I play with a mono-white weenie deck sporting some of the most powerful white spells in the game. Wrath, Balance, Tax, Swords, and even Humility for shits. I enjoy playing with it, but I'm getting bored with that setup, so I'm considering building an old school tribal red gobs deck, or a black-blue mill.

*nods and shakes head*

I...I-I didn't understand a word he just said...

Can someone teach me how this stuff goes? I've always been curious.

I'm a Pokemon/Duel Monsters card Player myself.
Thats a good deck for type 1, Steve, but a blue counter spell/red burn deck will crush your deck with a lot of pain. Blue is a tough colour, but if used right could be lethal. Red gobs is always fun though. Siege Commander can be fun, if you wanna pelt your opponent with goblins.

Zane, if you want to know the rules of the game, the website can explain it better. www.wizards.com/magic/
If I could I'd craft an awesome Red DD deck filled with pain.
I haven't played Magic in a few years, but I did have a fairly good plains (white) equipment deck from the Mirrodin series. And no, I don't have one of those cheap artifact affinity decks that allow you to summon a 8/8 creature in turn 3.
As far as I know, it involves playing in area cards so that you can use monster or spell cards.

And attack their lifepoints for massive damage!
I play standard legal myself, just casually for now. S'funny, I just got back from playing Magic at my local hobby shop. Anyway, I've got two decks up and running right now, a Mono Blue Morph deck that's just for shits and giggles ("Target player gains a turn and you're aiming it at yourself you say? Will Bender!) and then I've got my Green/White/Black Treefolk Shaman deck. Based heavily off of the starter deck that just came out for it (which itself is incredibly effective) I've tried buffing it up a bit. A friend who does tournaments seemed pretty impressed with how I handled it and now he's thinking about taking me along with him to his next deal, see how I do.

Anyway, my Treefolk deck, as of today.

Forest x5
Plains x4
Saltcrusted Steepe x2
Swamp x5
Vivid Grove x2
Vivid Marsh x2

Bosk Banneret x4
Centaur Omenreader x1
Doran, the Siege Tower x2
Leaf-Crowned Elder x1
Moonglove Changeling x3
Squeaking Pie Grubfellows x3
Thorntooth Witch x3
Treefolk Harbinger x2

Commune with Nature x4
Damnation x1
Evolution Charm x4
Gaea's Blessing x2
Nameless Inversion x3
Oblivion Ring x4
Sunlance x3

The balance is a little off right now. Still, my last games went really well, ever since I switched the basic lands out for some of their funkier brothers, I've been pretty well off on mana. I'm ditching Gaea's Blessing asap, maybe moving it to the sideboard. I really want another Leaf-Crowned Elder and maybe another Treefolk Harbinger or two. Same with Damnation, but Damnation is iffy. There's never been a time playing this deck where I said, "Hmm, I wish I could clear the board right now." I've got a lot of control to take down the little guys with Sunlance and Nameless Inversion and Oblivion Ring can take down any pesky enchantments or artifacts.

But I've gotten off track. Stuff I'm getting rid of, Gaea's Blessing. Stuff that's kind of iffy for me are the Damnation, the Squeaking Pie Grubfellows, the Centaur Omenreader and the Thorntooth Witches. Then, I need to work on my balance, maybe get the colors and lands to a more sensible setting.

The decks premise is simply, take anything tricky out with spells and beat anything else into submission with my Treefolk. Get Doran out asap to power everything up all my other treefolk and go from there. The deck is pretty well off against burn since no treefolk have a toughness less than 3 and unless I'm in extended it's not easy to dish out 3 burn unless you're using multiple cards or high mana costing cards. Black kill cards are slightly problematic, taking down my Bosks and my Leaf-Crown Elder, but most Black cards can't even touch Doran simply because he's partially black. If he does kick the bucket, I can bring him back with an evolution charm and then play him for a measly 3 mana to bring out my big bad 5/5.

So, what's the deck's weakness? Stuff stronger than it. Not easy for most decks, but mono green can pump out bigger nastier creatures that I just contend with unless I fight them in conjunction with my spells (or oblivion ring). I think token decks could be problematic as well, just for the sheer fact that I don't have a whole lot of attackers and I don't have trample. That might be why I should keep hold of my Damnation. I've been considering throwing in a Thornbite Staff or two to help with that, but they're still pretty costly to use. Still, 1 damage ping is nice for green, or so I think at anyrate. Besides that, eh, dunno. I haven't run the deck enough to see everything. Black death cards that ignore the 'non-black creature' clause could be problematic, but no one in my hobby shop uses assassinate. Then, I just gotta worry about this tournament thing. But hey, I've got time to work on the deck till then.

LONG POST IS LONG
>.>

<.<

I play no card-related games, other than a few traditional ones like War, Go Fish, Crazy Eights, Old Maid, and my personal favourite, Cheat!

But yeah, other than that, I can't do jack shit with a rectangular piece of corregulated cardboard. Or at least I think they're pieces of corregulated cardboard....

Quote ()

I'm not too familiar with the current Type 2 scene, you'd probably better ask Medic about that.

Metagame... *Twich*

Is it sad that I havn't played magic since the summer of last year... and I have about no clue about what is in the new set, or what the metagame is at the moment :'D I'm free from the Metagame : D FREE I SAY! *Starts to frolic in a field of flowers*

Quote ()

Wrath, Balance, Tax, Swords, and even Humility for shits

...I don't know what that last card is...
Humility is one of the most hax and biggest rule nightmare cards in existence. (Know Licids? Yeah, that bad.)

Humility: White Enchantment: 2WW
All creatures lose all abilities and become 1/1.

Sounds powerful, huh? Well, here's the bad part: It doesn't keep applying it every upkeep. New creatures played have no abilities, and come in as 1/1s, but if I put some +1/+1 counters on a creature AFTER the spell was played, they count. Any sort of modifier or counter that was BEFORE the spell was played is ignored. So, you have to keep track of before modifiers and after modifiers, and keep track of which creatures have had what done to them... a real pain in the ass. I sometimes use in on my friends so that they'll just give up, it's that big of a headache. Hilarious in casual multiplayer, though.

And, I haven't done much with the new block, either. I've gotten maybe 5 or 6 Lorwyn Boosters, but no Morningtide.

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

That sounds positively broken if you pair it with a Red Burn Deck.

Quote (KamikazeLord)

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

Bad Moon works better. Kills everything, and everything dies as it is summoned.
meh, I only played other people's decks in magic, when I tried to get my own, my parents got me pokemon cards instead...

then I scounged up a 'scrap deck' for yugioh made from smart trading up. started with 10 cards that a kid diddn't want, and built up to 100 cards that were middle of the road, all without spending a dime.

then I bought 2 decks of .hack//infection from a closing comic book store for 2 dollars, and haven't played since...

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

Quote (KamikazeLord)

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

What's bad moon do? As in, cost, and what the card says?

Quote (KamikazeLord)

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

Quote (KamikazeLord)

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

It's a black Enchantment. I don't recall the exact cost, but it says "All creatures gain -1/-1." The trick is to cast it after Humility, so that when the creature comes in, the older spell hits it first, turning it into the 1/1, and then the second subtracts it, giving it zero toughness, resulting in death.

Part of the rules nightmare of Humility is if you play Bad Moon first. In that case, a creature coming into play gets the -1/-1 FIRST, then gets changed to 1/1, so, even a 1/1 will live through it. You almost need a detailed journal of the state of the board after every turn to keep track of age and modifiers to make sure it's doing what it should be.

I think Wizards called it "The Most Annoying White Card of All Time".
YOU'VE TRIGGERED MY TRAP CARD!
Best damn deck in the world.

Blue/Red

Capsize heaven, few red monsters for balance *use proportions!* and a fire spell *forgot the name* that burns all land of a specific type. So say you're fighting a green deck. Hold onto the card for 30 turns when you know they're good and out of land. And BAM burn their forests. If they have Snow-covered forests *5 or so* they become so less a threat to your capsizes BAM!

Seriously Capsize buyback=win

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

Quote (KamikazeLord)

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

Quote (KamikazeLord)

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

It's a black Enchantment. I don't recall the exact cost, but it says "All creatures gain -1/-1." The trick is to cast it after Humility, so that when the creature comes in, the older spell hits it first, turning it into the 1/1, and then the second subtracts it, giving it zero toughness, resulting in death.

Part of the rules nightmare of Humility is if you play Bad Moon first. In that case, a creature coming into play gets the -1/-1 FIRST, then gets changed to 1/1, so, even a 1/1 will live through it. You almost need a detailed journal of the state of the board after every turn to keep track of age and modifiers to make sure it's doing what it should be.

I think Wizards called it "The Most Annoying White Card of All Time".

Steve, hate to tell you but Bad Moon is the black enchantment that gives all black cretures +1/+1. I think the card you are thinking of is the Legendary black enchantment from Kimigawa, or however it is spelled. Can't remember the name of the card off the bat, but the cost should be 2 Black and 2 colorless.