5-Seat Backseat Operating

"Ground Breaker... Mana Dance... Wraith... Otonoha... Salvaguardia... Yep, that's all of them." confirmed Hilt after tallying up the handles hanging from his leather belt. "Should I go ahead and draw a sword now?"

"Nah, let's just see what you're up against first." responded Cliff from within the club room, having taken a seat at the main table along with everyone else. The monitor on the captain's desk at the back of the room had been turned around and synced to Hilt's PET to let everyone see the battle regardless of who was operating at the moment. "Might just claim captain's privilege if it doesn't matter though, heheh."

"Of course you would." said Jack with a sneer, though not out of malice. It was friendly sarcasm, really, and everyone in the club knew that, but Jack was just a sneer-y kind of guy.

"No point in standing around and arguing. Just flip a coin if it comes to it." offered Hilt as he began walking.

"... A 5-sided coin...?" queried Maya uncertainly. Hilt paused, but just shrugged and laughed it off before resuming his hunt for viruses.

(Battle 1 Start)
On Hilt's way to test out his swords, as if he hasn't done enough of that recently, the navi came across a construction scaffolding that was simply...there for no reason. No navi or buildings that needed constructions. But it was quickly revealed that it was the group of viruses that placed it there when two Twisty viruses appeared on top of the scaffolding with a pair of Bunnies hopped in front of it. Whether or not this placement setting would be of advantage to them, the viruses sparked up in electricity as they prepared to shock their prey into submission!

-Top Dogs-
TwistyA: 80 HP
TwistyB: 80 HP

-Bottom Feeders-
BunnyA: 50 HP
BunnyB: 50 HP

Objects:
Scaffold: 50 HP

Terrain:
70% Metal (Bottom)
30% Normal (Scaffolding)

Hilt.EXE: 100 HP (Bottom)
"Elec again...! groaned an exasperated Howie, as if he expected some different result.

"Can't say I'm surprised, it is Electown after all." noted Hilt as he looked over the out-of-place scaffolding from a distance. It didn't look particularly sturdy, which was likely why the Bunnies were guarding it from below. Did they plan on building something here? But none of them have hands... Weird.

"Home field advantage, Howie, home field advantage." retorted Cliff with a grin and snicker. "But relax, we'll test your new program and everything else before we're done. For now, though, it's my turn!" With a bold (and somewhat exaggerated) announcement, Cliff synchronized his own PET with Hilt's and took operation of the Programming Club's mutual Navi.

With the external data from Cliff's PET added to his own, Hilt reached down to the largest sword handle on his belt and drew it. Data rapidly assembled around the top of the grip, transforming the blunt instrument into a large claymore as Hilt swung it into position. "Destroying the scaffolding should be easy with something as heavy as Ground Breaker. Should I just go charging in?"

"Why do you think I bought all those sword chips with the club funds?" asked Cliff rhetorically as he grabbed a BambooKnife off the table and popped it into his red Link PET.

Ground Breaker's long blade took on a bit of a green tint as the BambooKnife took effect, fittingly giving Hilt the "go" signal to start his attack. He dashed right towards the scaffolding, trying to catch the defending Bunnies by surprise, but Suzie deterred him by shouting "Hilt, don't break the scaffolding first! It'll collapse on top of you while you fight the Bunnies!"

"Mm... Good point." nodded Hilt before shuffling his feet mid-run and launching directly at the first of the Bunnies guarding the scaffolding. Unfortunately for the long-eared virus, Hilt's rush was being led by his claymore Ground Breaker, and it would likely be skewered by the blade if it couldn't get out of the way quickly. Hilt thrusted Ground Breaker forward to try and catch the Bunny before it could evade, but spent no more effort than that as he had to quickly shift his attention to its identical ally. Pulling Ground Breaker back around after the lunging attack, Hilt dragged the sword's tip against the metallic floor to produce a loud and sharp grinding noise. "Ugh, I hate fighting on metal floors..."

"You still have that terrain program from a few weeks ago, Hilt." explained Jack quickly, since the club's Navi was standing just a few feet in front of a hostile virus and all.

"Oh, right!" exclaimed Hilt as the memory resurfaced, tempting the swordsman to tighten his grip on Ground Breaker and drive it into the seam between panels of the metal floor. In theory, metal terrain was supposed to be indestructable, but hey, no one ever said anything about replacing it. "Heave-ho!" shouted Hilt as he ripped Ground Breaker out of the floor with a forward swing, sending a shockwave out that popped out all the metal panels to reveal a field of short-cut grass underneath. This terraforming happened right in front of the second Bunny, so Hilt opted to just kill two birds with one stone and tried to hit the electric virus on his upswing.

Having done all he could against the Bunnies as well as given himself a more favorable field to work on, Hilt then finally turned his attention to the scaffolding holding up the Twisty viruses. "Cliff, do I still have Ground Breaker's attack program installed?"

"Yeah, Jack bought some extra memory so we could keep it in along with the new programs." answered Cliff as he pulled up said program's information on his PET.

"Great, that should do nicely then." nodded Hilt before jamming Ground Breaker back into the floor, this time with much greater ease as the large blade sunk into the dirt beneath the grass. "Special technique: Avalanche Drop!" he shouted in unison with pulling Ground Breaker out and up over his head, carrying a large chunk of the earth it was in with it. Hilt then jumped at the scaffolding's vertical support, slamming his earthen claymore down at it with an alarming amount of force. Figuring the whole assembly wouldn't be up for long after that, Hilt quickly hopped backwards out from under the scaffolding and hoped the viruses wouldn't have much room to retaliate.

Hilt's Actions:
1) BambooKnife (65 Wood damage {A}, Slashing) @ BunnyA
--SetGrass (Large Area Grass terrain)
2) BambooKnife (65 Wood damage {A}, Slashing) @ BunnyB
3) Ground Breaker Skill: Avalanche Drop (40 Wood damage {A}, Slashing, Break, 2TCD) @ Scaffold
--Dodge (Swordplay)

Cooldowns:
Ground Breaker Skill: Avalanche Drop - 2 turns
The Bunnies definitely failed their job in protecting the scaffolding when they could barely protect themselves as Hilt skewered and rendered them into deletion. The navi made his way to destroy the scaffolding with one fell swoop, but not before one of the Twisty readied one of its RemoteBit and effectively zapped Hilt! Despite the attack, Hilt continued with his devastating, earthly attack that did in fact destroy the object in a single blow, dropping the two Twistys down from their high-and-might position and damaging them slightly from the fall. The other Twisty also prepared for an attack, but it was easily evaded as Hilt maneuvered around it with ease and managed to mend part of his wound thanks to the terrain.

-Bottom Feeders-
BunnyA: DELETED
BunnyB: DELETED
TwistyA: 70 HP [Grass]
TwistyB: 70 HP [Grass]

Objects:
Scaffold: DESTROYED

Terrain:
40% Metal (Outskirt)
55% Grass (Center)
5% Broken

Hilt.EXE: 85 HP
"Are you okay, Hilt?" asked a concerned Maya, who always had trouble rationalizing the fact that an injury didn't mean as much to a Navi as a human.

"Yeah, I'm fine..." muttered Hilt after shaking off the electrical jolt from one of the RemoteBits roaming through the air. "Just a little surprised that it locked onto me so fast."

"Your footwork sequences aren't anywhere close to complete if a drone tracked you that easily." critiqued Howie, though given that he was the one working on that program over the last few weeks, that'd probably be his fault anyway. "I should rewatch last week's End City Samurai, they showed off a lot of footwork tricks when-"

"Just get it figured out, Howie." commanded Jack curtly, though he did heroically spare everyone an anime lecture by doing so.

"I'll just try to be more conscious of it in the meantime." declared Hilt as he lifted his sword up in an attack stance and, after looking up this time to find out where the RemoteBits were, charged at the Twistys. The blades of the alien grassy field folded easily under Hilt's boots, giving way to the Wood-aligned Navi as he ran right up to the first transceiver virus and dropped the heavy Ground Breaker straight down over it. Hilt quickly darted his eyes up to the sky again to check the RemoteBits, then turned sharply on his heels to launch an attack at the second Twisty. Given his much larger stature over the stationary virus, Hilt didn't have much option in his sword play but to repeat the same motion and swing Ground Breaker downward. "Looking up for attacks when the enemy's right in front is really weird..." mumbled Hilt to himself as he yet again looked up for the RemoteBits and readied to try and dodge incoming lightning bolts.

Hilt's Actions:
--Grass Regen (+5 HP/action)
1) Dodge
2) BambooKnife (65 Wood damage {A}, Slashing) @ TwistyA
3) BambooKnife (65 Wood damage {A}, Slashing) @ TwistyB
--Dodge (Swordplay)

Cooldowns:
Ground Breaker Skill: Avalanche Drop - 1 turn
Wary of his remotely controlled adversaries, Hilt moved across the field and delivered a swift and powerful strike to the first Twisty, deleting the immobile virus instantly. Wasting no time, he proceeded to do the same thing to its twin. All the while, his affinity with the verdant field restored his health.

-Bottom Feeders-
BunnyA: DELETED
TwistyA: DELETED
TwistyB: DELETED

Objects:
Scaffold: DESTROYED

Terrain:
40% Metal (Outskirt)
55% Grass (Center)
5% Broken

BATTLE 1 COMPLETE!

Hilt.EXE: 100 HP

Rewards:
ZapRing1
330z
"Good work, Hilt." congratulated Cliff as his Navi made a nice recovery to finish off the Twistys without further problems.

"Eh, that wasn't great really. I was swinging Ground Breaker around more like a club than a sword..." sighed Hilt in response to his current Operator, before re-sheathing the claymore's handle to his belt and collecting the spoils of battle. "I definitely need to knock some rust off, it's been a while since I've fought anything but training dummies... Oh, hey, one of the Bunnies left some chip data behind. Can someone get a blank chip ready for the upload?"

"Ehm..." stuttered Suzie, before bowing her head and saying, "Sorry, I just shoved them into a cabinet when we were cleaning yesterday. I'll start looking..."

"So that's how she cleans the clubroom faster than the rest of us..." muttered Howie suspiciously as he and the other club members got up to help search the various cabinets and shelves in the room.

Realizing after a few seconds this would take a while, Hilt just compressed the ZapRing data and slipped it into his pants pocket before continuing his search for viruses to spar with.

(Battle 2 Start)
As he searches, Hilt comes across a rectangular border of glowing tiles surrounding what appears to be an empty field of metal. As he approaches the border, a powerful magnetic force pulls him across and onto the metal field.

A single virus descends in front of him, a winged metal virus with what appeared to be a microphone lodged in one of its two horseshoe magnet arms. It chattered something indecipherable in its garbled language, flitting about and looking around the edges of the field all the while. Perhaps it was speaking to an invisible audience?

After chattering for a few seconds, it turned away from Hilt and shouted something at empty space on the other side of the field. In response, a floating virus in knight armor and carrying a sparking sword drifted over the magnet border of the field, accompanied by a guard of two metal viruses with large jaws and an armadillo. The swordfighter moved forward, brandishing its weapon in Hilt's direction, while its guard remained at the edge of the field. The magnet virus, meanwhile, drifted to the sidelines, awaiting what it apparently thought was going to be a duel.
___

---Enemies---
-Duelist- (Metal, opposite Hilt)
Swordy-E: 80 HP

-Duelist's Guard- (Next to the Opposite Magnet edge of the field, still on Metal)
Volgear A: 80 HP
Volgear B: 80 HP
Armadill: 100 HP

-Announcer- (On the sidelines to Hilt's left, Magnet)
MagTect: 90 HP

---Challenger---
Hilt.EXE: 100 HP

---Terrain---
70% Metal (Dueling Field)
30% Magnet (Dueling Field border)

>Battle 2: Start<
"Did I... just get challenged?" asked Hilt to himself as he looked around the circular field he was suddenly standing in. It wasn't much of an arena, particularly, but then he had just destroyed what looked like the early stages of a construction project. The present viruses didn't seem to mind that too much, thankfully, since only the Swordy-E came forward, seemingly trying to engage Hilt in a one-on-one duel. Did the Swordy even know that Hilt was a swordsman...? He had all of his handles on his belt, but without the blades, they just looked like a collection of sticks. In fact, since none of his swords were drawn, this would not be a very pretty duel. "Uh... Can I get some help over here?"

Being the quiet-yet-attentive one around, Maya was the only club member to hear Hilt's plea as everyone was searching for the supply of blank Battlechips that Suzie had stashed in... some place they were still trying to determine. Regardless, Maya went back over to the central monitor to assist their Navi. "What is it, Hil... Oh dear..." gasped Maya after seeing that the club's swordsman had managed to wander into the makings of a trap while no one was looking.

"Maya? Oh great, that's a relief... Can you sync your PET up and give me a fighting chance, please?" queried Hilt, though he might as well have been begging for how much he needed a sword right now.

"Oh, um... Right, let me just..." mumbled Maya, who started fumbling awkwardly with her yellow Link PET after the sudden notice that she was on active duty. Sure enough, though, Maya managed to wirelessly link her PET with Hilt's before anything got out of hand, allowing the swordsman to actually earn his title.

Now that he had all of Maya's combat data at his disposal, Hilt was able to relieve his belt of the tightly-woven basket hilt and trigger the curved saber's assembly. With just his right hand tightly gripping the weapon, Hilt swung at the air a few times to make sure everything was in order with the holy saber Salvaguardia. "Whew, that's so much better... Maybe I can get out of this in one piece now."

"You're not going to fight the Swordy, are you...?" asked Maya uncertainly, discretely covering her own lack of confidence with a concern for Hilt's situation.

"Considering that mean-looking posse he brought with him, I don't think I have much choice but to play along..." explained Hilt in a hushed voice as he... laxed his stance and bowed? With Salvaguardia non-threateningly resting at his side, Hilt put his left hand over his stomach and bowed to the Swordy-E, trying to establish a code of honor with the virus (and more importantly, his fire-spitting buddies behind him). "Plus... I'm not going to be much of a swordsman during Netbattle season if I can't even beat a swordvirus." While still bowed, a sly grin snuck out of the corner of Hilt's mouth as he added that.

"B-but... You're on a metal platform again, and the Swordy has an electric sword... Shouldn't you change the field again? Let me get Cliff to give you Ground Breaker, and..."

"No, just leave it be." responded Hilt quickly as he stood up straight again. "My safety depends on the viruses respecting a one-on-one fight, and me changing their arena to suit my needs may be taken as a violation. I'm going to have to play on their field, if they're going to abide by my rules."

"Then what should I do? I'm not a good Operator like Cliff or Jack..." questioned Maya weakly.

"Just give me a sword and something to defend with... and stop doubting yourself so quickly." retorted Hilt after putting in his chip request. "Maybe you're not Cliff or Jack, or even Suzie or Howie, but you can do just fine by yourself. Just trust in me, and trust in yourself, and give it a try."

"Alright... I'll try..." said Maya after some slight hesitation. With the club's useable Battlechips still strewn across the table, Maya picked out a Sword and Guard1 to suit Hilt's request and slotted both into her PET.

"Good girl." replied Hilt with a grin as he received the chips. Now ready for the duel, Hilt raised Salvaguardia to match the Swordy-E's aggressive stance, but instead with a defensive stance. Hilt held Salvaguardia's basket handle up as high as his head and pointed the blade at a downward angle, bracing the blade by placing his free left palm against the flat backside. It was a solid stance embodying the wide-covering Guard chip, and while keeping form, Hilt slowly began closing the distance gap between himself and the Swordy-E one sliding step at a time. Despite drawing ever-closer to his opponent, Hilt would not break his Guard stance and swing. No, he was baiting the Swordy-E to strike first. Hilt could try a quick-draw and defeat the yellow virus on first strike, but what is a swordfight if the swords themselves never clash? Despite Maya's persistent reservations, she made Salvaguardia to be a strong blade, one that Hilt believed could parry the Swordy's electrical weapon. If he succeeded, then...

*ka-ching*
*swish*

The duel would be a short one.

Hilt's Actions:
1) Bow (Sportsmanship)
2) Guard1 (1 Hit Shield, Reflect Max 60+Piercing+Line Attack {S}) @ Swordy-E
3) Sword (80 damage {A}, Slashing, 6 uses) @ Swordy-E
Seeing Hilt accepting its proposition, the Swordy returned his bow in kind, and readied its own electrically-charged blade. While Hilt slowly advanced, the Swordy made one step forward... and disappeared. The next second passed by like a minute, with the swordsman Navi glimpsing the yellow sword barely passing by his side, and his counterattack...

The Swordy reappeared behind Hilt, and fell to the ground, propping itself up by its sword. One of the Volgears hovered up to it to give it some assistance before it was deleted, while the announcing MagTect made a huge noise, presumably announcing Hilt's victory. The other two members of the duelist's guard weren't too happy about it, though, and were coming to approach the Navi in a rather threatening manner.

---Enemies---
-Duelist- (Metal, behind Hilt)
Swordy-E: DEFEATED
Volgear A: 80 HP

-Duelist's Guard- (Middle of field, approaching, on Metal)
Volgear B: 80 HP
Armadill: 100 HP

-Announcer- (On the sidelines to Hilt's left, Magnet)
MagTect: 90 HP

---Challenger---
Hilt.EXE: 100 HP (Guard1, Sword 5/6)

---Terrain---
30% Magnet (Dueling Field border)
"Haaah..." sighed Hilt in relief as he relaxed his Guard stance, having successfully won the duel with the Swordy-E. The virus teleporting definitely surprised Hilt more than he would've liked, but thankfully his reflexes got him turned around fast enough to deliver the first and only cut. One of the Volgears hurried over, but only floated right past Hilt as he went to meet his fallen ally. The swordsman had cautiously raised Salvaguardia back up in response to the approaching Volgear, but the threat never came. "Huh... Just when I thought I knew everything about viruses." said Hilt as his eyes followed the non-aggressive Volgear.

"Um... Hilt?" murmured Maya hesitantly after looking a bit past her Navi.

"Well yeah, I know most viruses are still aggressive. Don't worry Maya, I'll be careful." assured Hilt quickly.

"Behind you, actually..." she corrected.

Confused, Hilt turned around and saw what Maya was worried over: the Armadill and other Volgear that had been following the Swordy-E were also moving into the arena's center, but approached in a far more imposing manner than the first Volgear. "You don't have to prove me right, you know!" groaned Hilt at the viruses as he frantically resumed his Guard stance. Between the Fire virus and the armored virus, the Wood element swordsman didn't find himself in a good spot, and that was before considering the risk of the previously passive Volgear attacking from behind now that his buddies were getting in on the action.

"Urgh... Okay, alright! I've beaten your leader 1-on-1, but I'll accept a 2-on-1 rematch all the same! We're still standing in the arena, so the rules still apply!" shouted Hilt suddenly, heavily emphasizing the limitations of the fight to just himself and the two approaching viruses ahead. The MagTect seemed like a properly neutral referee if his lack of intervention thusfar was to be trusted, so Hilt prayed he could bluff his way into getting the electrical virus to keep the second Volgear out of his business while this "official" rematch was fought. Uh, that said though... I could really use an extra chip, Maya?" he pleaded, having nothing but a Guard and Sword to fend off a pair of pretty sturdy enemies.

"Um, uh... This one...?" guessed Maya as she all but randomly picked out a Battlechip off the table to give to Hilt.

A white light possessed Salvaguardia's blade in response to the TwinFang chip, giving Hilt just a little bit more power to fight with. "This'll do nicely, thanks!" replied Hilt as he charged, rushing at the two viruses ahead far quicker than they were approaching him. He held the light-charged Salvaguardia in front of him in Guard stance while running, but broke the defensive form after closing in about half the difference, and stabbed at the air with the sword. While Hilt was a good ways off from ever reaching the Armadill he was pointing at with his weapon, the aura of light around Salvaguardia jumped off the blade with the momentum of the thrust and raced towards the hard-shelled virus as a piercing fang of light. Before the glowing white charge left his sword, though, Hilt stabbed the air again, this time pointing at the Volgear and producing another light fang to the same effect.

The moment Hilt withdrew the TwinFang's second stab, he resumed his default stance, all while keeping in motion to get within melee distance of the viruses. As soon as he arrived, Hilt broke stance again as he swung Salvaguardia around in a low sweep as he tried to catch the virus's soft underbelly with the sword's curved tip. The swordsman then quickly pulled his blade back up into Guard stance and spun around, closing the gap between himself and the aggressive Volgear. Admittedly, Hilt wasn't quite sure how he'd parry and counter a firey attack like what a Volgear could produce, so he just hoped he'd be able to keep out of its attack range. Hilt took the first opening he could find from the Volgear, then sliced at the virus's metallic body with his holy saber. Not wanting to overstay his welcome, Hilt then carried himself along with the motion from his swing and broke away from the viruses in an evasive backstep.

Hilt's Actions:
1) TwinFang1 (70 damage x 2 targets {A}) @ Armadill/VolgearB
2) Sword (80 damage {A}, Slashing) @ Armadill
3) Sword (80 damage {A}, Slashing) @ VolgearB
--Dodge (Swordplay)

With their assumed leader vanquished, the three remaining viruses started to slip into the field of battle. And while Hilt shouted his protests about being an unfair match at this point, a look in the 'refs' direction showed the MagTect seemed to just happen to be looking the other direction.

But, not one to take such odds sitting down, instead Hilt made the first move. Charging forward as the two viruses closed in, then thrust with blinding speed that seemed to send a spear like bolt of energy forward. Piercing through both his opponents and causing each to stagger and stop in their tracks.

Of course this gave him a true advantage as his approach brought him close enough to use his mighty blade, slashing a quick end do the armored beast of a virus.

And while the swordsmen prepared to bring the same end to the Volgear that had accompanied it, his spatial awareness seemed to shift without warning. The cause quickly became obvious as the MagTect used its free magnetic arm to pull the navi away just as he'd attempted to slice the Volgear apart, causing him to miss entirely.

Though perhaps the assistance was truly a blessing in disguise, as even though his attack had missed, his footwork was just as fancy as ever; which allowed him to back step just in time to avoid a wave of flames that had been released from behind his former position.

Enemies
-Duelist- (Behind and to right of Hilt)
Swordy-E: Defeated
Volgear A: 80HP (Metal)

-Dualist's Guard- (Just to the right of Hilt)
Volgear B: 10HP (Metal)
Armadill: Deleted

-Announcer-(On the sidelines to Hilt's left)
MagTect: 90HP (Magnet)

Terrain
30% Magnet (Dueling Field Border)

Ally
Hilt.EXE: 100HP (Guard dismissed, Sword: 3/6)
"Whoa!" shouted Hilt in surprise as he was abruptly pulled out of his finishing cut by the "neutral" referee. He really needed to maintain a tight focus to keep up his swordplay rhythm, so being yanked right out of that quite jarring for the saber-wielding Navi. What was even more jarring, however, was the spew of flames currently cooking his former position. Hilt could only stand dumbfounded, Salvaguardia slack at his side, at how close that was and how he only even managed to get out of that because the ref was cheating.

Noticing the Navi's general lack of focus, to the point of not even realizing there was a virus not next to him, Maya elected to speak up. "Hilt, to your right...!" she said, highlighting the existence of the wounded Volgear directly to the Navi's side. This was probably more what the MagTect actually planned by pulling Hilt away from his swing.

"Oh, whoops! Thanks Maya!" apologized Hilt as he snapped back to attention. As luck would have it, Hilt was right handed, and as such Salvaguardia was in his right hand. Right next to the Volgear. Hilt gave a quick swing of his arm, lashing out at the damaged virus with Salvaguardia, before following the momentum of the swing to turn his whole body around to address the other Volgear behind him. Such a haphazard spinning cut was very poor form for a self-declared swordsman Navi, but Hilt regained his stance properly to face the second Volgear.

... Actually, he was already gone. Not wanting to give the fire virus time to burp up more flames, Hilt lunged forward as soon as his stance was set with the tip of Salvaguardia's curved blade leading the charge. It wasn't much of a stabbing blade; really, none of Hilt's current swords were, but a forward thrust was the fastest attack in swordplay and that was exactly what Hilt was hoping for right now. Aware of the type of retribution he'd face for failing to stab the Volgear in its face, Hilt hastily circle-strafed around the virus's right side to both evade potential firey pain and get his eyes over the whole battlefield.

Hilt took another few steps backwards away from the viruses, Salvaguardia held up towards his face in a defensive stance as he waited. Waited... and waited...

"... Um, Hilt? Do you want another chip...?" asked Maya hesitantly, wondering if she was doing a poor job of reading the Navi's motions.

"No no, I'm fine like this. I'm just... hoping that I'm done here." muttered Hilt as he spoke through his maintained focus on the battlefield.

"But the MagTect... Shouldn't you attack it?" suggested Maya, pointing to the one virus that up to this point Hilt had not touched.

"Rigged as this whole match is, that one's still the referee. There shouldn't be any other choice but to call the match if I've defeated all the other viruses... Plus given how ready these guys are to screw me at every turn, I bet they wouldn't take well to me attacking their ref." explained Hilt, a sour look on his face as he added that last part.

"Just be careful, Hilt..." pleaded Maya as the club's Navi engaged in some very unorthodox virus busting technique.

"I will, thanks Maya." nodded Hilt in response before revving up his focus on the field, gracing the MagTect with a particularly intimidating staredown while tracking the Volgears out of the corners of his eyes.

Hilt's Actions:
1) Sword (80 damage {A}, Slashing) @ VolgearB
2) Sword (80 damage {A}, Slashing) @ VolgearA
--Dodge (Swordplay)
3) Dodge/Pressure the ref to call the match
Despite Hilt's poor form, Salvaguardia strikes true, defending its wielder by dispensing swift deletion upon the Volgears. The first is slashed through before it can react, dispersing into a cloud of data. The second opens its maw, spewing forth a line of flames, but Hilt is just too quick on its feet for the searing heat to touch, and the remainder of the Duelist's Guard goes down.

The MagTect makes to signal another virus from their corner of the field...only for its narrow eyes to bug out at the complete lack of opposition left. Quaking in its metaphorical boots, the virus backs away slowly from the ring, then throws its microphone down to the ground and makes a break for it; apparently it's had enough of trying to cheat Navis out of a fair fight?

The microphone, regardless, disperses into a small pile of Zenny through some unknown virus-logic, along with the remnants of the other fallen. The duel, however much the foes tried to cheat, went to the swordsman in the end.

-Viruses-
-Duelist- (Behind and to right of Hilt)
Swordy-E: DEFEATED
Volgear A: DELETED

-Dualist's Guard- (Just to the right of Hilt)
Volgear B: DELETED
Armadill: DELETED

-Announcer- (On the sidelines to Hilt's left)
MagTect: QUIT

-Terrain-
30% Magnet (Dueling Field Border)

-Navi-
Hilt.EXE: 100HP [Sword: 1/6 uses]

-BATTLE #2: VICTORIOUS!-
Rewards: FlameLine1, 700z
Hilt broke his tension after the MagTect surrendered, letting out a sigh of relief before dismissing Salvaguardia's blade and returning its handle to his belt. "Can't say I was expecting to get surrounded by Volgears this close to the school network..." said Hilt with a slight shudder, what with his Wood alignment being highly alergic to Fire viruses. Not dwelling on that, however, the swordsman jogged over to the decay of the MagTect's mic and picked up the prize from the battle. "You really saved my butt there, Maya."

"I didn't really do much... Your swordplay made all the difference." replied Maya meekly, figuring that sending the Navi just a Sword and TwinFang didn't really constitute much of a rescue.

"I wouldn't have even been able to draw a sword if you didn't sync up." retorted Hilt logically. "Though... I guess we didn't get to test your new program, since I didn't get hit." he added sheepishly.

"Found it!" shouted Cliff exasperatedly as he withdrew the vanished blank chip case from a repurposed cardboard box full of nothing specific. "I thought you said you put it in one of the cabinets, Suzie."

"Ehe, sorry. I guess it was the spare PET batteries I put in the cabinet." apologized Suzie as she knocked herself on the head with her hand as punishment.

"That doesn't belong in there either..." grumbled Jack out the corner of his mouth.

"Either way, we've got it now. Here Maya, go ahead and upload the chip data through your PET since you're synched up already." ordered the club captain as he popped one blank chip out of the case and held it out for Maya.

"Two."
"Two." responded Hilt and Maya together.

"...?" The two battlers couldn't help but chuckle at Cliff's bewilderment. Eventually Hilt finally emptied his pockets of goodies and moved on.

(Battle 3 Start)
To the Wood-type Navi's relief, there wasn't a Fire-element virus to be seen in the new pack. ElecTown Net finally starts living up to its name, with a trio of Bunnys bouncing about like caffeinated lightning rods. An Elebee chases the Bunnies around; it would appear the swordsman has stumbled upon some sort of game?

And then he hears the ominous creaking of gears, and there before him is a Catack, in all its tanky glory. Its hatch opens and the tiny stick-figure from within pops out, pointing at Hilt and yelling to the other viruses in a...surprisingly squeaky voice for a virus packing so much firepower. The other viruses cease their game and turn to the interrupter, glaring at him for intruding on their fun.

-Viruses-
Elebee: 90HP
BunnyA: 50HP
BunnyB: 50HP
BunnyC: 50HP
Catack: 120HP

-Terrain-
50% Metal [Hilt's side]
50% Solar [Virus' side]

-Navi-
Hilt.EXE: 100HP

-TAG, YOU'RE DEADSTUNNED!-
-BATTLE #3: BEGIN!-
As the Catack ordered the group of Elec viruses into formation, Hilt noticed a few things about the situation. The first was... gunners. Every single virus was a gunner of some sort, putting a swordsman like himself at a bit of a disadvantage. Jack could load up the Wraith 556B and make this an all-range fight, but admittedly the Programming Club was a little lacking in ranged Battlechips at the moment so Hilt probably couldn't win that battle of attrition. The second thing Hilt noticed was the ground. He was standing on Metal not unlike the last battle, but this time it was more of an issue since every virus sans the commanding Catack was Elec element. That said... by the same token, the viruses were all on Solar. Hilt knew Electown Net pretty well since it was basically homefield, and as such he knew Solar terrain acted for Elec types just about the same as Hilt's own Grass acted for him. The Bunnies and Elebee could regenerate their health off of it, but at the same time Hilt's Wood aligned attacks would cause tons of damage against the already-Elec viruses. As for the Catack...

"Cliff, sync up and give me the RollingLog. Howie, you get your PET ready to sync up too. I think I've got an idea." ordered Hilt after his few seconds of planning, organizing his Operators much the same as the Catack for its allies.

"Done and done." responded Cliff quickly, still having his red PET on hand from the first battle. The two models established a quick and seemless connection before the club captain picked up the requested Battlechip off the clubroom's central table and slotted it in. Howie had to get up and go fetch his green PET from next to his PC, but his turn would come in short order.

"Great, thanks. Now to get started before the viruses start shooting..." acknowledged Hilt gratefully as he drew Ground Breaker's handle from his belt and summoned its blade from Cliff's PET. The RollingLog was primed for use already, but before that, Hilt's primary order of business was to do something about this shockingly dangerous terrain he was standing on. To reach that end, Hilt spun Ground Breaker around his hands to point downward before jamming it into the seam between two metallic panels. With a second heave Hilt shoved the greatsword down deeper, causing a mass shattering of the metal plating around him as he triggered the SetGrass program and created a smooth green field. Now with the terrain turned fully to his advantage, Hilt pulled Ground Breaker out of the once-metal-now-dirt and spun it back upright to face the viruses.

... At least for a second before Hilt lowered his sword back down and took a strong cutting swing into the grass. Ground Breaker sliced through the soft earth with almost no resistance as Hilt carved up a large earthen cylinder. The next step was a bit crude, but effective nonetheless as Hilt lifted a leg and kicked the cylinder to send it tumbling towards the group of Bunnies. Hilt repeated this process a second time, this time in a more fluid single motion as he cut up another earthen cylinder and kicked it forward into motion not far behind the first. With the RollingLog executed as far as its processes would go, Hilt quickly sheathed Ground Breaker back onto his belt and shouted, "Howie, your turn!"

"About time! Ready to run the new program, Hilt?" exclaimed Howie as he synced up just as soon as Cliff disconnected his own PET.

"You bet!" replied Hilt with a nod as he reached to his side and drew the second longest handle off his belt. With Howie now connected, Hilt materialized the sonic katana Otonoha for the first time this run. The curved blade, just about 2 and a half feet long from the square guard to tip, carried a very noticeable waved pattern in its layering. Being not much smaller than Ground Breaker, Hilt had to grip it in both hands to keep a steady control over the weapon. With the blade steady, Hilt pulled Otonoha back back around his hip, the uneven edge creating a song-like ringing as it moved through the air. With his stance set, Hilt locked his eyes onto the Catack commander and took a single deep breath. "Shogekiho!" With a shout Hilt called the name of Howie's new program and swung Otonoha horizontally forward, putting all his strength into moving the katana around his body. The pitch of Otonoha's ringing escalated quickly as the blade moved, getting more and more shrill until it... went completely silent as the sword swept across Hilt's view of the Catack. All the noise just vanished, until...

*BOOM*

The whole battlefield quaked in response as the sonic boom's shockwave hurtled towards the Catack.

Hilt's Actions:
--SetGrass (Large Area Grass terrain)
1) RollingLog1 (55 Wood damage {C}, Ground Attack, Wide Attack (2), Double Attack) @ BunnyA/B
2) RollingLog1 (55 Wood damage {C}, Ground Attack, Wide Attack (2), Double Attack) @ BunnyB/C
3) Otonoha Skill: Shogekiho (Microburst, 1TCD, 40 points) @ Catack

Cooldowns:
Otonoha Skill: Shogekiho - 1 turn
Hilt's SetGrass activates with a dramatic sword-plant, the resulting verdant terrain doing a swell job of negating the viruses' 'home-turf advantage', so to speak. With the playing field leveled, the swordsman starts doing his very best to press the advantage, sending a couple of logs flattening two lines in the grass as they rolled, aimed straight for the excitable Bunny group. One hops out of the way of the first wave of crushing timber, leaving its buddy to get utterly flattened. The second log has similar luck, smashing a Bunny into the solar panels like rolled-out pizza dough.

The two remaining Elec viruses make to move, only to be stopped by their Catack leader. The tank rolls forward, barrel sighted down straight at the swordsman. The tiny rider pops out the hatch, squeaking for the tank to fire.

*BOOM*

Unfortunately for the Catack, Hilt's quicker to the draw, and the Shogekiho smashes into it with all the force of a true-blue sonic boom. The concussive force sends the tank flying arse-over-teakettle, accompanied all the while with the panicked, angry squeaks of the diminutive driver. The tank finally comes to a rest some distance away from the battle, upside-down and unable to move no matter now much its treads spin...and pointed straight at the group of viruses it had just been leading. Unfortunately for them, the tank is still very much prepped to fire...and Hilt's unplanned joyride serves as plenty enough to trigger whatever makes the Catack go...

*BOOM*

The resulting tank shell nails the Elebee, producing an impressive explosion upon impact; the panels beneath the airborne virus crack under the force of the blast. In a rage against the Navi responsible for the embarrassing crash, the bee rushes Hilt stinger-first. The impact sends a painful shock through Hilt's system, but the grass under his feet reassures him that so long as he remains on it, the damage will heal; it could have, after all, been a lot worse.

-Viruses-
Elebee: 70HP
BunnyA: 50HP
BunnyC: DELETED
Catack: 120HP [2 Actions Away, Immobile!]

-Terrain-
50% Grass [Hilt's side]
35% Solar [Virus' side]
15% Cracked [Circle in middle of Solar]

-Navi-
Hilt.EXE: 80HP