The day a part of gaming died

there are some days that the dice must stop rolling, and thats pretty much when someone dies. Yesterday, a man who helped change the face of gaming died.

without him, fantasy gaming might not be the way it is today, and thus we salute a man with high Int, Wis and Char scores.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/03/report-gary-gyg.html

He inspired us, helped make friends, and gave us something to do with close friends on lonely nights.

here is to Gary Gygax, may he not be rezz'd by a necromancer.

*holds up a glass of ale in salute*
<(Edited because I don't know jack shit about Japanese)>

Kanpai, Niax, you proud member of RERN you.

(Kanpai = Cheers in Japanese)

But seriously, is everyone these days dying at level, er, age 69?
actually, my grandmother died a couple of monts ago at the ripe ol' age of 103, but was still beaten by my great grandmother at 112...

yeah, there is a huge bloodline of 'centurians' (people over 100 years old) in my father's side of the family...

too bad he was adopted and has heart complications and diabeeties...

but yeah, alot of people are dieing around then, I don't know why...

edit: he probably retired his charecter, at 70 you start to lose points to all stats, not just str, dex, con and char. and when someone that great,(who must obviously be a ninja/pirate/wizard/favored soul multiclass) gets that high in skill, you can pretty much kick anyones ass without much effort...

Quote (Phoenix)

Kanpai, Niax, you proud member of RERN you.

(Kanpai = Cheers in Japanese)

But seriously, is everyone these days dying at level, er, age 69?

[/wordnazi]
yep. The man that really got the RPG genre to what it is today. *Raises glass*
[cries feminine girly tears to combat the excess of manly ones]
*Toasts with glass of blood*

RPGs changed my life too.

Quote (English Ninja)

[cries feminine girly tears to combat the excess of manly ones]

*collects tears and sells them on eBay*
Save me some of those tears Shuryou. They might be a delicious beverage seeing EN rarely cries this variety.

Moving on...did he die from natural causes?
as far as I've heard, they ain't talking...

I'm guessing he died defending his company from the most vile trolls...

4chan trolls...

he died a honorable battle, managing to slay 200 of them with a dagger...

he then was retuning in a cut seen, when a chuck norris meme punched him from behind. Gary lived for another 3 hours, the the meme shattered upon contact with him...
*Toasts with a wine cooler*

He was a great man. Damn those trolls! Damn them to hell! Oh...Wait...They are already going there. *Shrugs* Whatever.
*sigh* why the hell is this in spam can? It is not Spam Can material. Also its under like 6-8 threads right now and I didnt see it when i made a thread about it not too long ago cause i couldnt find one already.

So basically heres what I had in that thread then linked by Medic to embarass me about it.... *sigh*

Quote ()

http://kotaku.com/363660/gary-gygax-co+cre...f-dd-dead-at-69

Gary Gygax... Co Creator of DnD... the Great Dungeon Master... Whether you met him or not, heck even if you barely even knew of him, would probably affect you with this news... for some time now he's had some health problems, such has heart trouble and what not.

If you are wondering why this involves you at all... In a way we're all playing a variation of DnD on the forums. Not to mention that we use simular features such as stats, even though the system has been changed. DnD did bring about many games as well. DnD evolved into RPGs and MUDs, which has sense evolved into more than that such as MMOs.

Not for Gygax and Arneson, the gaming world as we know it wouldn't be how we know it to be. RPGs may still be around, but would they be so defined? doubtful.

I never really got into DnD, but its impact on my life is quite visible. I'm a heavy RPer. I RP a lot on various forums. I also play many RPGs and MMOs. I wouldnt want to imagine a world without the influence on DnD.

I read that article yesterday while at work.. and I can say I wasnt feeling that well for a good portion of the day till i got home and had a good few tears.

Whats your thoughts on this? expressions?

(I dont appreciate the saving throw jokes... I have a ex-RPer group thats making those jokes and I just found out and I'm quite pissed at them.

the last bit there I guess doesnt need to be said sense its already been done by many... Can a Mod please move this to General instead of Spam Can?

also my cousin's husband, who works at Wizards of the Coast's DnD division learned about it yesterday, apparently he took it a little hard, though he also changed his desktop to a dragon shedding a tear in memory of Gygax.

To the Greatest Adventure.

Quote (Niax)

as far as I've heard, they ain't talking...

I'm guessing he died defending his company from the most vile trolls...

4chan trolls...

he died a honorable battle, managing to slay 200 of them with a dagger...

he then was retuning in a cut seen, when a chuck norris meme punched him from behind. Gary lived for another 3 hours, the the meme shattered upon contact with him...

What the hell Ni-

*face palms*

*Head shakes*

Ugh...Nevermind.

Anyway, I think I'll start playing this guy's games more often.
i'm planning on finding my way to DnD if i can A. Find a copy and people who want to play it. B. go to a convention and play with there.
Me and a few friends had a awesome idea.... for a Memorial to him..

Basically a building... 3 stories high and has 3 basement levels... the 3rd and 2nd floor above ground would be for DnD shops and learn how to play DnD, also for a area to play DnD

the main floor is really a lobby

now heres where it gets good..

the basement levels are actually a Dungeon-esque area... you dress up as your DnD characters.. and you basically play out a Dungeon Larp as your characters. and the highlight? your Dungeon Master... The Ghost of Gygax.. basically it'd be a voice actor or computer generated replication of his voice as he leads you through the dungeon to the boss and treasure at the bottom of the dungeon.

it'd be a great memorial to the great dungeon master.
finding DnD rule books is easy, just limewire after 6 on weekdays...

at least in my time zone...

@sora: idea is win...

Quote (Sora-Chan)

now heres where it gets good..

the basement levels are actually a Dungeon-esque area... you dress up as your DnD characters.. and you basically play out a Dungeon Larp as your characters. and the highlight? your Dungeon Master... The Ghost of Gygax.. basically it'd be a voice actor or computer generated replication of his voice as he leads you through the dungeon to the boss and treasure at the bottom of the dungeon.

There was a movie about the look-alike D&D game that came out at the same time.

They found a cave and did that...one dude went crazy and forever thought he was his character.

Teh movie is called Mazes and Monsters...Dont be fooled by the newer cover, its still an old movie (fucking fake new-remake covers).

EDIT: Also, Niax, He wouldnt have used a dagger. He would have had some kind of artifact, you know, the kind of item thats over-powered and unique and is there for the adventure...not to mention you get uber attached to it if you have it for too long...
So ends the legacy of the father of all roleplaying games. Without his brilliance, there would be no Final fantasy, no warcraft, no warhammer, NOTHING.

Rest in peace buddy, I just wish you could've found a cleric with 50,000 gp worth of diamonds on them. That or a druid. Whatever works. Have fun exploring the multiverse... steer clear of the abyss.

and for more tributes...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html
http://www.duelinganalogs.com/

Anyone else find it an ominous omen that he died the day I DM'd my first campaign?
*sigh* no common, it's like how magiver can do anything with a piece of gum and string. he was so awsome he could of killed them all with the toothpick of -4 strength...

there was also a movie called dungons and dragons that was just a campian type story...
Oh gods >.< Not that movie...

First off. Red dragons were good, and gold was evil? Also. The horrible maze no one ever escaped? How is that a maze? It was a straight line!!! how the hell did an apprentice mage know dimension door?

*Insert more random d&d fanboygasms here*