Discworld

Discworld. I want to know how many (possibly avid) readers are out there. Show yourselves!
Nope. D:

Care to give a brief explanation?
"Everyone knows that the world is flat, and carried on the backs of four elephants who in turn ride on the back of the great A'Tuin."

That's what Discworld IS. But the summary would be a list of names, with added notes, like this:

Ankh-Morpork (The city)
Lord Ventinari
Sam Vimes (Duke of Ankh-Morpork, Commander of the City Watch)
Death (the thing)
Death (the person)
Death of Rats (self explanitory)
Susan Sto-Helit (Death's granddaughter)
The City Watch (Including humans, dwarves, gnomes, trolls, werewolves, vampires, and Nobby Nobs)
Nobby Nobs (He has a little ledger SAYING he's human, but how many humans are shorter than dwarves?)
Lut-Ze

And that's only some.
I'm experiencing a massive influx of fantasy creatures like gnomes and dwarves, and the last time that was a good thing was when I was reading Artemis Fowl. D:

Is there a... basic plot you could outline, perhaps?
Plot? In Discworld?!?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Wait. I'm sure there was a spinoff of Wikipedia dedicated to Discworld...
Aha. Here.

Go nuts. That's about all I can say. Because that's pretty much what everyone else does.

My suggestion: Scroll down until you see a box labeled "Categories" and click on "Leading Characters".
Discworld is total and utter win.

That's about all you need to know.

(<.<)

(>.>)

Crivens!
Supposedly, it's actually parodying many fantasy cliches. That could be kind of interesting.

Well, I don't have time to read much right now. D:
Discworld is great.

It is a parody of fantasy cliche, souped up with some philosophy. It is very similar in style to Douglas Adams and his Hitchhikers triology (pentalogy?)

If you aint reading it, you are missing out on some good shit.

My favorite so far is The Reaperman, but I have enormous amounts of books left to read. Terry Pratchet is one of the most productive writers of our times. He is probably writing faster than I can read

Quote (Knight)

Discworld is great.

It is a parody of fantasy cliche, souped up with some philosophy. It is very similar in style to Douglas Adams and his Hitchhikers triology (pentalogy?)

If you aint reading it, you are missing out on some good shit.

My favorite so far is The Reaperman, but I have enormous amounts of books left to read. Terry Pratchet is one of the most productive writers of our times. He is probably writing faster than I can read

Reaper Man is one of my favorites, along with Hogfather, and any of them featuring Death as a main character (most have him as a secondary character).
Pffft, Xanth is cooler.

Quote (Zanallen)

Pffft, Xanth is cooler.

In my own opinion, they are about equal. Off-topic: what do you think of the Spell for Chameleon movie coming out next year?
At least they are starting at the beginning. And Spell for Chameleon was a good one though Castle Roogna is probably my all-time favorite. I wonder if they'll continue on with all.....30 some books now, is it?
no one remember the 'mode' quintology(i mean 4 book series)...

they even run into charecters from the other series...
Like Hitchhiker, eh? That really might be worth a read...
Oh, it's like a Fantasy version of "Hitchhiker's". It's even got the humorous footnotes.
"<something about dancing naked in the rain>*"
"*QUITE an overrated activity."

"And you can't see the back of your head."
"*Except in very small universes."

Those are actually some of the less funny footnotes

Also the great thing about the Discworld series is that you don't have to read them in order. granted there are a few things that won't make sense if you haven't read earlier books (Like reading Eric before Sourcery or Night Watch before Thief of Time), but other than that...

@Zan: Xanth is only cool if you're like me and can go through all the terrible puns without someone thinking you're depressed because you're groaning so much. (Boot Reer FTW).
Yeah, those puns are so horrible...

blades of grass = plants as sharp as swords

spell checker = a game piece from a checkers board that fixes spells

a shoe horn = horns that look like shoes that you wear on your feet that honk while you walk

zom-bees = undead bees that make you undead when stung

speed demons = demons that go speeding around in cars, almost running people over

and speaking of demons...

demoness mentia is crazy(dementia)

demon vour he eats everything(devour)

demon port makes everything leave the country(deport)

demon mand makes you do things(demand)

you get the idea...

just try not to step in a pun, it can be very unpleasant...
I've only played a Discworld game... Don't know anything else. Shuryou does not read books.
I've played a playstation game of a discworld....I think...I used to have it >_>
There was an awsome point and click for the PC. You had to make Death a Holywood star. (correct spelling, BTW)