Electown Research (EVENT!)

"Looks like there's no way out of this one." Red stated observing the barrier.
"What was that roar though? It's probably the cause of all this disturbance." Shin commented.
"We should just be ready in case anything happens." Red said, preparing for anything, while also heading deeper into the net.
Oberon peered around. His battle-rage was not gone, because the threat was not. His head snapped up as Meleeman took off, and Oberon followed at a sprint, staying just behind the large meat tank.

Something told him that it was foolish, but he was beyond caring. His blades' chip data was gone, but the rage within them was not.
Rass grimaced as he grabbed the shard of steel that lay lodged in his right arm. Gritting his teeth through the sharp pain, he gave the piece of shrapnel a sharp yank, causing a trickle of dark liquid to stream from the wound. The self-repair systems went straight to work, the fluidlike black body folding over itself and sealing the puncture wound. Sighing in relief, the fusion navi leaned up against his tree, recuperating from the previous battle...

...and quickly dropped the steel chunk in surprise as a thunderous roar heralded a burst of brilliant yellow light, surrounding the general area with an unnatural, translucent barrier. While the noise and the subsequent light show itself was sufficient cause for Rass' worry, what caused him to outright panic was a small message in the corner of his viewfinder:

Warning: Jack-Out Impossible

"We're s-s-stuck?" gasped Rass, horrified. Not wanting to be left behind, the fusion navi broke into a jog, trying to keep up with his relatively unconcerned teammates.

Outside, Suien gulped and leaned in close to his PET screen, attempting to determine the source of the mysterious barrier. His fingers flew across the PET's keyboard as he entered in a series of commands to no avail. Sighing, he sat back and rubbed his right temple nervously. I've got a bad feeling about this, he thought.
R-kid continued to follow up with the others, while the video camera kept watching.

(In other words, this team is ready, mods and all you officals, do your thing you have been doing so well for these months.)
((Bumping))
(yup... anytime now....)
((Bumping yet again))
(Do we have to wait till every other research thread is done with their battles or something? It's really boring with nothing to do.)
((Sorry guys, it got kinda buried under all the other topics. And Cindy gets Warn+1 for bumping just 2 hours after RS did on the 24th.))

The group forges deeper into the effected area, and suddenly come across more mutated viruses! A pair of dicolored ElecOrges, or are they a quartet? Each has two heads, and strange runes all over thier body... Three Larks, plated with steel and emmiting sparks... and a triad of OldStoves, belching smoke and spark alike...

ElecOrgeMagiA: 180
ElecOrgeMagiB: 180
E-Lark-TricalA: 150
E-Lark-TricalB: 150
E-Lark-TricalC: 150
OldElecStoveA: 75
OldElecStoveB: 75
OldElecStoveC: 75

R-Kid.EXE: 95
MeleeMan.EXE: 180
Red_Riding_Hood.EXE: 80
Rass.EXE: 80
Titania.EXE: 130

Round 2... FIGHT!!!

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

((Sorry guys, it got kinda buried under all the other topics. And Cindy gets Warn+1 for bumping just 2 hours after RS did on the 24th.))

(ya, sorry about that, I left the post window open when I went to play a few games at freeonlinegames.com)

"Okay, we got a big group here Rainbowkid, Battlechip, Rageclaw, slot in!" Said Cindy, as she inserted a rageclaw chip.

"Vwoot!" Said R-kid, lifting one of the strange oldstoves into another.
================================
Rageclaw toss; 20dmg to 2 enemy; Oldelecstove (you forgot the ABC)A into OldelecstoveB.

"Ok now go on protection." Said Cindy "Battlechip Guard, slot in!"

"Hide n' Seek!" Said R-kid, hiding behind the guard. His rainbow gem glowed as he hid.

Guard (reflect)
Charge buster for charge shot, stage 1
Red scrathed her head as she observed the mutated virii. I guess when they meant unstable, they really meant unstable. the Red-caped wonder thought.
"Red! Rainbowkid's throwing that Oldstove into the other one! Use your gust to slam the other one into it." Shin commanded.
"Roger that!" Red replied with a salute. The wind navi called upon her element of the wind, Blow the navi commanded the wind, BLOW! she yelled in her mind as she summonded a mighty gust to try and send one of the Oldstoves flying into another.
"Good, now get those ElecOgres! Boomerang! Slot-in!" Shin yelled, pointing dramatically towards the viruses.
"You got it! Boomerang time!" Red shouted in response as she procured the wooden projectile out from her basket and sent it screaming through the air towards the mutated ElecOgres.
"Getting there, now blast those Larks! Shotgun! Slot-in!" Shin shouted as he sent his navi the data.
"Take this!" Red yelled as she whipped out an actual shotgun, clicked it, aimed at one of the Larks, and shot at it with a blast of multipled bullets coming from the Shotgun. Then, without any word from her operator, Red prepared to dive out of the way of any oncoming attacks.

Turn Summary
*Gust: Blow OldstoveC in OldstoveB
1. Boomerang1 at ElecOgreMagi Group [60 DMG Wood, 120 DMG if hits]
2. Shotgun to E-Lark-TricalA [50 DMG]
3. Dodge
"Hey, MeleeMan," Rania commented, seeing the two younger allied navis set to the viruses, "it looks like the one in the hood has cooked up some kind of strategy. She may just be a pretty good fighter after all. It's an interesting technique, at any rate."

"If you say so," MeleeMan shrugged. He brought his hand up to his chin, rubbing his jaw thoughtfully as he muttered to himself. "Let's see... there's a lot more of them than there were last time, and they look a little tougher too. I'm definitely going to need the boomerang... Besides that, I guess I'll take the shotgun and the heatshot."

"Sounds fine enough, but be careful," Rania urged, lifting her head back off of her fist as she slotted in the chips. "You're not leaving yourself a lot of room for caution, going on the aggressive like that."

"True. But then again," MeleeMan growled, beating his chest with his fist, "look at this body! Look at these muscles! This endurance and pure strength of will! It's undeniable that I am the most thorougly equiped for self sacrifice, and thus, I will take the lead in our assault!" He flexed powerfully as he overrode one arm with a boomerang launcher, then smiled confidently.

Rania sighed, apparently not overly impressed. "Sure, you've got muscles, nobody's doubting that. Its not just your weight, you know, it's how you throw it around. Have you heard that saying?" she asked him idly, tapping her fingers irritably on the arm of the bench she was sitting upon.

"Sure I have. You want to see how I like to throw my weight around? I do it like this!" he grunted, bringing forth his arm heavily and firing off a boomerang. As he watched it whiz by, he gulped; the weapon left his arm so effortlessly and uneventfully that it was hardly satisfying. "Well... presentation isn't everything," he huffed, getting ready a heatshot and releasing it in a burst towards the group of floating electric fish. With a quick motion, he replaced both his target and his gun, switching the flames out for solid ammunition. "Hrah! Shotgun!" he called out, firing off a shotgun in the direction of the viruses. "Now, let's see what kind of effect we've had... I'll stick do dodging now."

Rania sighed, then turned her head to Suien idly. She paused momentarily, blinked, then asked, "So, um, what was your motivation behind making a navi like Rass, if you don't mind my asking? He's very unique, and he's an excellent fighter without being a brute like MeleeMan. Ha ha ha! There's a funny thought!" she laughed, feeling a bit uncomfortable. "Wouldn't it be a laugh if Rass was more like MeleeMan?" she chuckled, turning back to her screen. Suddenly, she felt very uncomfortable in her relationship with her own navi; why was it that MeleeMan held such animosity for her? "Perhaps he just... doesn't like feeling dependent," she sighed shaking her head and focusing back on the battle.

1) Boomerang to E-Lark-Trical Group [120 elemental bonus]
2) Shotgun to E-Lark-TricalA [50] and splash to C [50]
3) Heatshot to E-Lark-Trical B [45] and splash to C [45]
4) Dodge
((Kazu, please take out the stoves))

Suien responded to Rania's sudden question with a confused look, wondering what exactly she meant by it being funny if Rass were "more like MeleeMan." He would certainly be a great deal more assertive, he thought, casting a sidelong glance to the sky as he pondered the possibility, But then again, he would probably be just as difficult to deal with... just like having to work with two Argos. Suien shuddered at the thought and returned to his PET, only to realize that he had not yet answered Rania's question as to Rass' origin. The girl's distant, uncomfortable look highlighted the awkward silence, and compelled Suien to fill it with whatever he could. "Ah uh..." he started, not wanting to divulge the full details on Rass' creation but not wanting to outright lie. "Rass was... sort of an experiment," he laughed, adjusting his glasses and removing a trio of battlechips, "I may be his netOp, but he's as much a mystery to me as he is to anyone else."

The awkward silence persisted, however, as Rania's discomfort became clear to the dark-haired netOp. Suien frowned for an instant, searching his limited experience with females for some method of comforting her and realizing that anything he could say or do would make him appear either an unsympathetic jerk or a creepy pedophile. Sighing, he cleared his throat and turned to her with a slight smile. "I uh... don't know if this is the best way to say this, so I'm just going to go out on a limb," he started, figuring that saying something would be preferable to the pervasive silence, "You're sounding like you're a bit self-conscious about MeleeMan's attitude, judging by your comparisons to my own relationship with Rass. I'm no expert on navi-Op teambuilding, but I think you shouldn't worry too much about it." He turned to his own PET and entered in a few commands, speaking as he typed. "Despite the advances in technology in the past hundred years, artificial intelligence remains a difficult field to fully understand," he said, channeling his hated undergraduate Network Sociology lectures, "Maybe you and your navi don't understand each other, but that's okay. Even the top academic brains have trouble mapping personalities, and you'll find that the more you work with him, the more you two will establish a unique bond that'll burn brighter than the sun!" Realizing the cheesiness of the line, Suien quickly turned to Rania and continued. "Besides," he said, "It's not like I fully understand my own role in Rass'..."

"AIIIIEEEEEE! SUIEN!"

Suien's attention bolted back to his PET, where Rass' wireframe was undergoing a strange transformation. "Can't I leave you guys alone for a minute?" he shouted, fingers flying over the PET, "Tem, tell me what happened."

We encountered a large detachment of viruses exhibiting similar qualities to the previous wave, said Tem, her voice laced with fear, Argo thought it would be a good idea to integrate the Melee Subsystem into the central processing unit combined with the battle data we collected from MeleeMan's systems. We tried it, and Rass' body started going haywire! A bolt of crimson lightning played over Rass' body as a brilliant red aura began to form around the fusion navi's body. Rass' vision blurred as he felt his skin stretch and expand, the burning aura growing ever brighter as time went on. We tried to stop it, but I don't think we can! Body temperature reading says it's... over 9000 degrees! Power output is through the roof! Subsystems and recovery routines are being overwritten! The crimson aura exploded in a forceful shockwave that sent thick smoke and a brilliant light flying across the battlefield. As the smoke cleared, a levitating navi could be seen, bathed completely in a firey red blaze. Rass... or rather, the navi that had been Rass... had roughly doubled in size, rippling muscles peeking through his massive bodysuit. The fusion navi's helmet was gone, replaced by a head of spiky brown hair that seemed to defy normal conventions of gravity. A pair of stony gauntlets adorned his fists, and a long orange cape replaced Rass' scarf, and billowed out like a fan in the crimson aura that surrounded him.

Suien leaned over his PET. "Rass? RASS?! What's going on? Can you hear me? Respond!"

The mighty navi grunted and brushed a lock of dark brown hair away from his face. "I don't know what you are talking about," he said flatly, opening his eyes, revealing their new red color, "HAH, I'm surprised you haven't heard of me, stringbean. I am the Mega-Ultimate of Champion: MASS!"

Suien drew back, confused. "Um... Mass. In all technicality, you were created less than twenty seconds ago, so it'd be logical to assume that I haven't heard of you..."

"In all technicality, you shouldn't question my power!" sneered Mass, "Besides, technicalities are for the weak, unless they're technical knock-outs!" He laughed, clearly amused by his own joke.

The dark haired netOp shook his head as he returned to the PET screen. Elemental affiliation and subtype designation have switched? Interesting... so prolonged exposure to MeleeMan's systems had allowed the fusion base to emulate the navi's own core systems, he thought, watching his new navi enter a crouched pose and flex his muscles, I suppose this answers Rania's question about what Rass would be like if he were more like MeleeMan. Clearing his throat and holding up three battlechips, he opened up communications with Mass. "Hey, I'm sending you a few battlechips so you can..."

Suien cut himself short as he realized that his Navi wasn't listening. Instead, the pugilistic navi had seen it fit to charge directly at the nearest group of viruses, his burning aura shining brightly and leaving a luminescent trail behind him. Panicking, Suien slid the trio of battlechips into the PET, silently praying that his Navi wouldn't ignore them.

Feeling the surge of the airshot battlechip course through his systems, Mass laughed mirthlessly, screeching to a halt a short distance away from the mutant ElecOgres. He cupped both his hands and held them at his side, forming a swirling orb of wind energy between them. The miniature windstorm grew in intensity as Mass tensed his muscles straining to contain the force within his palms. "GYAHAHA!" he shouted, thrusting both gigantic hands forward "My fighting index is far higher than anything you fools can possibly imagine! Isn't that right, Tem?"

W-wha? asked a perplexed Tem, who was taken aback by the arrogant bodybuilder who had replaced the meek Rass, Well... point scans of those double-headed viruses reveal HP readings over twice that of your own, and if their previous incarnations are anything to go off of, I'd say their damage output is...

"Bah, you scanner types are so unreliable!" interrupted Mass rudely, snapping his fingers as he charged grass energy into the palms of his hands, "Just like a woman to worry about things like HP when there's stuff like strength and vigor! I don't need to worry about HP readings when I have a damage output bigger than god!"

...and an ego to match, muttered Tem icily, clearly annoyed at the new Rass.

Mass ignored his tactical system's snide remark as his gauntlets glowed a brilliant green color that shone brightly even through the blazing aura. "Believe it! This is true power! Taste the fury of a thousand spikes!" he cried as he pumped his arms forward and backward, releasing countless spears of emerald-green energy that lanced toward the unlucky opponents. The energy bolts flew toward the viruses, embedding themselves in the ground on contact and remaining there as Mass stood back, laughing his head off. "Welcome to oblivion!" he laughed as he snapped his fingers, prompting the bamboolance energy to detonate, sending a flash of emerald light and a luminescent explosion into the air.

"Mass, your system resources are running low, perhaps you should take evasive action," advised Suien, typing

"Hey four-eyes! Perhaps you should shut the hell up because *I* do what I want!" shouted Mass, holding up his palm to the sky and generating a whirling boomerang that began to rotate in place at a high rate. The grass battlechip quickly formed into a swirling disc of slicing force as Mass' burning aura shone in the dank Electown atmosphere. Emerald-green sparks exploded from the boomerang as the curved 40% metal weapon protested the forceful spinning. With a chopping motion that swept across his body, Mass launched the boomerang with deadly precision, sending the destructive disc scything toward the mutated fishlike viruses.

As Mass fell to his knees, recovering from the massive expenditure of energy, he brushed his brown hair to the side and smiled a cocky smile. "I told you all before, I am the Mega-Ultimate of Champion! The Strongest of Fighter! MASS!" he shouted to nobody in particular.

"What an arrogant jerk," muttered Suien, slightly embarrassed by his navi's actions.

What an arrogant jerk, muttered Tem, terribly put off by Mass' display.

Awesome, gasped Argo reverently, Completely awesome.

1: M.A.S.S. (MeleeCross — Fire/Breaking, +5 to fire chips)
2: Airshot ElecOgreMagiA (20) into ElecOgreMagiB (boosted accuracy to subsequent splash attacks?)
3: Bamboolance (130, 260 Element Weakness) ElecOgreMagiA and ElecOgreMagiB
4: Boomerang (60, 120 Element Weakness) E-Lark-TricalA, B, and C
Even as she watched her allies wreak havoc on the virii, Titania felt her muscles tense. She wasn't yet confident in her allies' abilities, and was afraid that their eccentricities would inhibit their performance. The last thing she needed was to be caught fighting such an imposing enemy with allies who would crumble under the pressure of a true challenge. She grit her teeth and gripped her bow, and then suddenly relaxed as a wave of power from within washed through her body like a warming wave of the soul's inner fire. After all, she wasn't alone. It was funny, her logical mind commented, how she only now realized that she had an ally to watch her back, even when allies seperate from her, who did not have the disadvantage of having to stay totally out of harm's way in order to protect her, were entering the fray before her eyes.

Ready, Titania?

We are ready.

New courage flashed across Titania's face, reflecting in her circlet as a sudden flash of light, like a spark of flame being reflected off of her heart's glow. Next, a different kind of power sparked to life in the form of a green glow in her bow. Full of newfound glory, she charged forward, drew an arrow to the bow's full length, as it appeared like the sudden apparition of a ghost in the air before her, and then fired it straight into the enemies that were not being engaged: The bizzarely mutated OldStoves. It expanded in the air, then split into a veritable cylinder of ghostly projectiles, slamming into the enemies like a solid object and plowing through them as if as heavy as a log.

In the wake of the massive barrage of arrows, Titania's form changed, and her bow vanished, replaced by two powerful blades, one on each arm. Her brow became sharper, more harsh, and her limbs became more muscular as her body changed to the sinewy form of Oberon.

Oberon, in Titania's stead, charged forwards, intentionally dragging one blade along the ground, where it built up a collection of fragments of data, then released it in the form of a huge log. Wood: Electric's weakness. This would be swift.

Kazu (or was it Sarah at the moment?) Had obviously picked up on this line of thinking, as the next chip at Oberon's disposal was the only other Wood chip in his arsenal, a Boomerang. It leapt from his knuckles, possessing his right-hand blade and sending it spinning through the enemy ranks like a leaf in the wind, or a bird flitting through the air, slicing through Net space and enemy data as easily as a shimmer of light passing between the boughs of trees far above.

Double-team maneuver
Blade Ringlog [50 wood +20] Oldstove Group (split into two)
Boomerang [60 wood] Oldstove group
((Gonna Bump This))
Once again, the viruses seem to move at speeds that aren't characteristic of them, or is that because of slow processing? At any rate, One ElecOrgeMagi let's loose a mighty net of electricity out, which flies towards all of the Navis, Red and MeleeMan manage to dodge it, but the others are hit hard. R-kid, the primary target, is momentarily stunned. The second Ogre seems to be charging some sort of attack. The Larks let loose a triple jet of electrified water at MeleeMan, Titaina, and Rass/Mass, but Mass' transformation confuses them, so their shots miss him. The OldStoves perform a similar maneuver, striking at R-Kid and Red, scoring hits on them both, though R-Kid's guard manages to protect him. The third Stove, however, got smart and shot late, so that the fiery bolts of lightning would strike R-kid anyway.

R-Kid's Claw attack fails, due to being stunned, fortunately, the guard helps protect him, but the subsequent hit sent him flying, shattering the claw and causing loss of charged power.

Red's Gust jostled the viruses around a little, but not much else. The boomerang hits one Ogre square in the chest, stopping its movement, and the shotgun misses.

MeleeMan's aim is a little better this time around, and he hits all of his targets with the boomerang, and follows up with a great display of marksmanship, though no splash damage goes through.

Mass' Airshot knocks the rather boorish ElecOrges around, which promptly catches them in the ascending lances, completely obliterating them. Furthermore, his boomerang finishes off the last Lark. Wow, is he better than the original?

Titania/Oberon's strategy pays off, and the two chunks of low amble towards the Oldstoves. Which were trying to recover from being jostled by Red. A swift Boomerang polishes up the last of the freak viruses.

ElecOrgeMagiA: DELETED
ElecOrgeMagiB: DELETED
E-Lark-TricalA: DELETED
E-Lark-TricalB: DELETED
E-Lark-TricalC: DELETED
OldElecStoveA: DELETED
OldElecStoveB: DELETED
OldElecStoveC: DELETED

R-Kid.EXE: 20
MeleeMan.EXE: 150
Red_Riding_Hood.EXE: 50
Rass.EXE: 35
Titania.EXE: 55

Rewards: R-Kid.EXE: 200 Zenny
MeleeMan.EXE: 400 Zenny
Red_Riding_Hood.EXE: 300 Zenny
Rass.EXE: 600 Zenny
Titania.EXE: 500 Zenny

In a deafening roar, startlingly close, a great depression in the netscape forms, massive chunks of steel cascading down the sides into a bowl like pit. If the Navis look all the way down the steep slope, they would see something moving at the bottom, as well as what appears to be the source of the jack out barrier.
((THAT WAS AWESOME!))

"Ah!" Red shrieked like the little girl she was as she jumped back from the crevasse. "W-what is that?" Red stuttered pointing at the emerging figure. The navi felt a strong force coming out of the depression.
"I don't know Red," Shin replied, taking off his sunglasses and carefully observing the situation. "Whatever it is, you'll have to fight it, I'll send you a Subchip." Shin stated as he downloaded a Full Energy into the PET. A healing light basked over the red-caped wonder as she was healed to near full health.
"Thanks Shin, I'm ready now!" Red shouted as she took a fighting stance while facing whatever might come out of the fissure in the net.

Turn Summary
FullEnergy Subchip used on Red [100 HP healed to Red Riding Hood.exe]
Oberon fell to one knee, and then glanced around, breathing heavily.

"Whatever the NetPolice wanted us to find out about," he said through gasps of breath, "That's probably it down there. Give me a moment."

His body started to give off a pink glow as Kazu, or Sarah, sent him an Energypack.

[EnergyPack used]
"You... You've done it, Rass!" MeleeMan cried out, his jaw quivering as he approached his ally. "I can't believe it! You've mastered it! This is the true spirit of a warrior! He's achieved the body and soul of a warrior!"

"Y-you're just saying that because he looks just like you!" Rania grumbled, also obviously surprised by the transformation.

"Yes, indeed! He looks just like me because my form embodies all the warrior's heart and soul, just as his now does! Excellent, my friend!" he laughed, patting Mass on his broad shoulders with a wide grin. "Most excellent!"

"I hate to interrupt, but what's that up ahead?" Rania gasped, noticing the giant pit in the floor of the net area.

MeleeMan cracked his neck right and left, staring blankly at the giant crevice as if it were a normal feature of the net. "Oh, that's right," he mumbled. "There shouldn't be something like that here."

"That's very true," Rania admitted, raising her eyebrows anxiously. "I wonder what could have created such an enormous hole? The viruses around here attack with greater force than normal, of course, but none of them would be able to unleash anything that destructive. Everyone else seems to be healing up, MeleeMan," Rania noted, taking out one of her own MiniEnergyPacks. "We'd better make sure we're ready too."

[MiniEnrg used]
Mass simply laughed as his body coursed with electricity. Despite the fact that the large netNavi was in obvious pain, he still maintained his air of invincibility and arrogance as he gathered up his portion of the spoils of battle. His burning aura faltering and thick black liquid oozing from his scorched and torn flesh, Mass thrust his fist into the air in a victorious pose, releasing a flash of brilliant crimson light...

...and falling to the ground, panting, exhausted, and obviously very confused as to what had just transpired. "W...what just happened?" he asked, sounding dazed and perplexed, "L-Last I remember, there w-was a flash of l-light and now I'm... I'm bleeding?! S-S-Suien! H-Help!"

Suien Matsumoto actually smiled, before slotting in one of the larger energy packets he had recieved from the netsquare opening event and downloading their restorative energies into Rass' body. Good old Rass, he thought with a smile.

As a refreshing wave of silver light played across Rass' body, cleaning the unsightly burns and cauterizing the deep wounds that lined his body. Breathing a sigh of relief, Rass slumped down near the start of the incline, peering downward toward the center with hesitation...

((EnergyPack Used))