New PET Capabilities

On my way here, I overheard some scientists discussing the next generation of PET capabilities. Apparently, wireless isn't the only thing that the next release is going to have. For those without a good GMO, it will actually help you design a look for your navi that is similar to your RL.

On another note, encrypted data powers will also be included... supposedly the strength of military reccommendation. That is, 10 years ago's standard.

- Suloy
Your post doesn't make sense. Have a nice day.

-Ace
First off, I'd like to know where or whom your source is. Because this doesn't seem particularly well-backed by any sort of announcement from the PET programmers nor hardware creators.

Secondly, the ability to use a GMO to make your navi look like yourself already exists, if you can find the time and the narcissism to create it. Navis have sentience, so the idea that you would create a GMO merely to make someone else look like you is rather appalling.

And just what the hell is an "encrypted data power"? If you're talking about the ability to encrypt data, welcome to the year 20XX, we already have that here.

-Shigeru Yamada

Quote (P.A. Master)

First off, I'd like to know where or whom your source is. Because this doesn't seem particularly well-backed by any sort of announcement from the PET programmers nor hardware creators.

And just what the hell is an "encrypted data power"? If you're talking about the ability to encrypt data, welcome to the year 20XX, we already have that here.

-Shigeru Yamada

I only caught a bit of the conversation... but apparently the new encryption capability manifests in the form of secure transmission... wirelessly. As a bonus, the navi can have it's source code encrypted by default. It's handy in the case of military needs.

- Suloy

Quote (SlashMan.exe)

Quote (P.A. Master)

-Shigeru Yamada

I only caught a bit of the conversation... but apparently the new encryption capability manifests in the form of secure transmission... wirelessly. As a bonus, the navi can have it's source code encrypted by default. It's handy in the case of military needs.

- Suloy

I'm not an expert on NetNavi design. Hell, the farthest I get into programming is the occasional scan of anything I might need to look at. But it seems to me that encryption in NetNavis would probably be standard in the first case. They're not some small tools to be hacked, because no one does. Modifications have the same effect without tampering with a complicated source code that very few truly understand.

Also, wireless secure transmissions? Welcome, once more, to 20XX.

-Shigeru Yamada
This topic reaks of "Pay attention to me, I know something you don't!"
That is, it seems like you're just pulling random techno-babble out of thin air and mashing it together.

-Chris Harper
He could very well be referring to a new standard they could be planning to release. The new standard would be an update to the old. It happens all the time. Though, if he caught talk of it between a couple of scientists, I'd be willing to bet there will be a news article on it tomorrow, maybe the day after at the outside. That's the way things went when I was working at Sci-Lab a few months back, so I can't call this completely bogus.

Too, I doubt the thread creator is tech savvy enough to catch everything they were saying, so I'm willing to cut him a little slack there. A couple of techies in full geek mode are not the easiest people to follow in a conversation unless you're one of them. Listening to doctors blather on about biochemistry or a physicist muse about gravitic forces is just as mind numbing. I dunno about you, but my eyes glaze over pretty quick when they delve into the arcana of their fields.

-- J.T.
The point is well-made, JT, but that doesn't much change the fact that there isn't very significant substance to this rumor.
If there were a news article, I'd be more than happy to reconsider and concede the point to Suloy.

-Shigeru Yamada
There isn't a news article... yet. He did say he just heard this today. Give it a day or two.

-- J.T.

Oh, look, a troll named Harper. I love playing with trolls. They amuse me... Can we feed it?

-- Unknown

EDIT: Who the hell are you, and how did you manage to post within my post?

-- J.T.
You know, after thinking about it a little, if he heard this, I think it means one of three things:

1-He works at SciLab, and this probably breaks some kind of confidentiality thing.

2-He snuck into SciLab, and was trespassing.

3-SciLab scientists are total idiots to be talking about something like that in one of the public areas.

I'm willing to give scientists enough benefit of the doubt to think its not 3, so...yeah. 1 and 2 might mean this is illegal or something. Or maybe I'm just typing up some random crap because I overlooked something. Oh well.~

-Sabrina Jetto
I don't trust this info. Unless Scilabs announces it themselves, I won't believe it until I see it.
-Jack Magi
Oh, not at all. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, scientists jabbering about a new standards release in the lobby before it actually happens is pretty normal. They talk about harmless subjects like that in the open often. They're just excited about their work, and leaking it is a thrill, I'm guessing. If they mentioned anything really sensitive in the open, they'd be fired and probably prosecuted. A standards update, which is what this sounds like to me, isn't a huge security issue. I mean, they'll be published for everyone to see on a spec-pages site when they're released. That's clearly not a security issue, since everyone can just look it up when they release it.

-- J.T.
...Oh. Congrats, you just wrecked my mental image of scientists forever.

-Sabrina Jetto
Wait, scientists actually go outside?
Apparently.
I'm going to get into trouble for this, but if you can "borrow" a lab coat and ID for a little bit, you can access areas normally off-limits.

Reminds me, I've got to get back to work. *sigh* I wonder where I deliver the next pizza?

- Suloy
P.S. I'm going to have to turn myself in at the desk.