A long night in Toronto....

Liz waiting patiently as the detective who had suddenly showed up asked her to wait. She just assumed it was normal they would inspect things first, never actually having been in this situation before. It wasn't long till Kale returned attention to Liz and began to ask her about what happened. Unfortunately, Liz just scratched her head displaying a quizical expression.

"Uhm, the train just sort of pulled up like this. Can't really tell you anything really. Other than I think he's carrying some new form of tablet in there that isnt out yet. Man that thing looks so sweet..." Liz began to imagine the sort of power that thing had, and just what it could do, before snapping back into reality before she started drooling over it.

"Maybe uh... someone tried to mug him for it?"
Yyyyyyep, just as expected. Kale wasn't likely to get much useful out of this woman. She just confirmed his previous hunch, and was apparently more interested in some piece of electronics than the incident itself.

Well, it was better than hysterics, at least.

"Seems a bit excessive for a mugging," Kale remarked, shaking his head. "How could you tell it wasn't out yet?" he asked, turning back to the train car. He pulled out and put on his Specs, then used the built-in camera's zoom feature to get a closer look inside. He focused on the tablet inside, which he had passed over earlier in favor of checking out the unconscious man. If it was an unreleased model, then any identifying labels would give him an idea of where it came from. Anything to give him a good starting point.
The first thing Kale noticed was that the ruggedized tablet was face up, but the screen was unlit. In terms of size, the tablet was perhaps 7~8cm wide by roughly 15cm long, and maybe half a centimeter or so thick. The zoom feature on Kale's specs allowed him to see that the tablet had a covered data jack port, a covered data card port, and a covered sound jack on the short side facing him. There was a slider on the longer side he could see from this angle, and the lettering next to it said [LOCK]. There were no visible buttons. The tablet had no identifying marks indicating the manufacturer. No tablet currently on the market matched these dimensions. Whether Kale knew this or not was another matter....
"You can't tell?" Liz seemed genuinely surprised. For a detective they didn't seem to know much about the goings on in the world.

"Well, where to start... looking at the size and color, few models are out right now with those specs. The ones that do usually have some sort of label of their company in plane view front and back." She noted with confidence looking toward the tablet in question as she rambled on. " The lack of some sort of identifying mark means its probably a beta or something. Not to mention that the positioning and number of the ports isn't consistent of any tablets of that size and color anyways." She finished with a definitive nod.

"It's an elementary deduction, detective."

Kale rolled his eyes at the woman's response. It was convenient that she was so intimately familiar with existing tablet models that she could pick out one that was different just by appearance, but the attitude was not necessary. "Well, since you're clearly so much better at this than I am," he responded, "Maybe you can tell me who might make it?"

He wasn't expecting much, but as long as she was showing off, maybe she was familiar with a similar style. Or if there was nothing even remotely close, he could work with that too.
"if you can get those doors open so i can look at it closely, sure. There are a couple companies that COULD make it, but without checking it out i can't give you a proper name." Liz added in response, knowing full well that just staring at something from a distance could only tell her so much. Not to mention that while she could talk tablets and electronics all day, there was something a little more pressing at hand, even she knew that.

"but uhm...Shouldn't you be trying to get in there anyways? He might need you're help you know..." She added with a hint of concern in her voice. Sure she got carried away too, but she didn't want him to die because she would rather talk about a hobby of hers.
"Right," Kale said, choosing not to dignify the girl's remarks with his actual thoughts. He didn't appreciate being told how to do his job, even if she was technically right. Truth be told though, the man was not likely to be getting any help until EMTs arrived. Kale was not exactly good at first aid.

It was obvious from a glance that the doors of the damaged car weren't working anymore, and that forcing them wasn't likely to get him anywhere. With that in mind, he took another look inside the car, examining the doors leading between the shot-up car and the ones to either side. Then, while he was thinking about it, he stepped back and snapped a picture of the damage to the car with his Specs for later use.
The doors between cars were perfectly fine, as were the doors to the other cars. Getting in and out of the crime scene car wouldn't pose any problem, but Kale would be forced to go through the other cars to get to that car whether he liked it or not. The space between cars was covered with flexible canvas.
As Kale seemed to finally get working on saving the unconscious body, Liz turned her attention to the map of the city on the wall. It was becoming more evident that this train wouldn't be going anywhere tonight. She would much rather be curled on in her blanket sipping on a warm drink and gaming with her friends like originally planned. She wanted out of here. After all, it's not like she had anything to do with the current situation nor did she know the guy at all.

"Let's see what the best way to get out of here is..." She muttered to herself, seeing if the map would suffice for information. Worse come to worst, she could always go above ground and ask one of the night-line bus drivers which one would take her back to her own area. She just wanted out of here.

Even if the mysterious draw of the secret tablet was calling to her.
Kale made his way over to the door of the next car, and found that he could get through that one just fine. The doors between the cars, just as they appeared from the outside, were equally fine and functional.

"Stay out there," he said to the woman, just as a precaution. He didn't really expect her to want to wander around in the middle of all the broken glass, but it didn't hurt to be sure. Especially with the way she had been eyeing the mystery tablet. He thought for a second, then added "And don't run off just yet, either. Even if you didn't see anything that happened, for the moment you're still a witness."

With that out of the way, he knelt down and examined the scene from close up, looking foremost for anything about the victim he wouldn't have been able to tell from outside.
Elizabeth saw on the map what she already knew: it was still Toronto, and it was still an unreasonable distance to walk back home. The nearest bus stop was a block away, though. There was also a 24-hour pharmacy/convenience store near it, and, of all things, a mexican fast food place. A bit past that, there was a diner that should be open at all hours. Just about everything else in the area was closed at this time of night, however.

Kale noticed there was small caliber bullet damage in the cars as he moved to the car that was clearly totaled. A bullet hole here, a broken window there, but nothing that came close to how wrecked the last car was.

Upon closer examination of the vic, Kale was able to tell that the man was armed: there was a pistol in his pocket. Fitting, as the man appeared to be wearing a Kernelight uniform; name tag of Adrian T. Even so, short of rolling the body over, there didn't seem to be a mark on the man, but he was still out cold. The man was covered in little bits of broken glass, but nothing large enough to cause injury seemed to have hit him. There was something metal where the back of his neck should be, though, which was easily visible without moving him at all. Possibly a prosthesis.

The greater view of the scene did not match the oddly untouched status of the unconscious man. In fact, it looked like someone had done a grade-A job of turning the car into Swiss cheese. Years of working with ballistics told Kale there were at least two caliber of bullets at work here; something around the 9mm mark, and something serious, around the .50 cal mark. Closer inspection showed some smaller caliber bullets, mostly mashed, deformed, or in pieces, were indeed still inside the car, as they did not possess enough penetrating power to pass through the other side. Whatever the heavier stuff was, it had no problem going through both sides of the cabin. There were even broken safety grips and piping where the larger bullets had just blasted through them.

Another thing to note is most of the havoc wreaked upon this train car was centered around the destroyed door. Sure, there was damage all around that, but it was almost trivial by comparison.

Evidence, evidence everywhere. The question now was: what did this all mean to Kale.
Seeing all of the damage to the car up close, Kale was starting to get a good sense of what had happened. The 9mm holes suggested handguns or machine pistols, probably the latter from the sheer volume of shots. But there was something else. Most of the shots were concentrated on the door, and clustered among them were much larger bullet holes; the kind only a .50 BMG or similar round could leave. "A heavy machinegun? Shit," he thought out loud. The good news, at least, was that he could now confirm without any doubt that the shootout had happened at an earlier station, as the unconscious man in the car and likely someone else were trying to board. The damage was focused mainly on the door, and was far too precise for a moving train.

Meanwhile, it was looking less and less like the unconscious victim was involved in any more way than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. True, he seemed to be carrying a tablet that, according to his witness, was as yet unreleased, and Kernelight was not exactly the organization for one of its workers to be in possession of such things. They were a paramilitary group, not an electronics company. But, until he knew more about the actual crime scene, he couldn't tell anything for sure about it. And short of rolling the vic over, which he still didn't want to do until the EMTs arrived, he couldn't see any signs that he was actually hit by anything. There was no blood around the body, no sign that he had been badly injured by the shattering glass, and unless he had been struck directly on the metal plate in the back of his neck, no evidence that he had been knocked out by blunt force trauma. He was armed, at least, but that meant very little.

That just left a few pieces. First, the other half of the crime station was going to be at an earlier station. He scanned the car for a map of the metro line, hoping that the shootout hadn't damaged it beyond readability. Next, he leaned out the window and called to the woman who had hopefully stayed put. "Did you see anyone else on or leaving the train before I got here?" he asked.
"Tch..." A remark of disappointment as Liz heard kale's voice call out to her, telling her to stay put. Sure, she was the one who called it in but she already told him everything she knew. They should even have her number when she called it in. What good would it do to keep her here?

She waited around impatiently, toe tapping on the floor to a melody from a game she was remembering to help her pass the time as she waited for kale to finish up with his current preoccupation, she she could answer his questions and leave.

"Hmm?" She perked up as he seemed to direct his attention to Liz once more. "Nope, no one else was here. I didn't see em anyways. Can I go now?" She whimpered with boredom. Suddenly a thought popped into her head, and she began to grin softly.

"Or are you going to let me look at that tablet while I'm waiting? Maybe it'll help with the investigation!"
There was a working route map nearer the front of the car, while the one in the rear had taken two bullets and... yeah, it was toast. The working one showed that there were a few stops along the train's path, and most notably one right next to the Kernelight facility in Toronto.
"I'm afraid not," Kale said. "Unless you can look without handling it. Otherwise I can't allow a civilian to handle evidence." Or run the risk of her running off with it, which Kale wouldn't put past her just yet.

Meanwhile, the working map told Kale all he needed to know. If the unconscious man really was just at the wrong place at the wrong time, a suspicion that was further strengthened by the lack of anyone else on the train, or at least seen on the train, then the most likely station would be the one closest to the Kernelight facility. Which was to say, Industrial Metroline Station.

Problem was, he couldn't leave this station until he was finished here.

"This is Detective Kale Barrett. Any available officers in the vicinity of Industrial Metro Station please respond, over," he said over the police radio.
A grumble escaped Liz's mouth as she was denied the pleasure of examining that fine piece of equipment just laying there, beckoning to her ever so sweetly to examine it. With nothing else to entertain her and being stuck here for the while it was all she could really think of. It was then that an idea began to form, what that might do exactly what she wanted.

Pulling out her phone, Liz began to fiddle with it for a moment before whispering into the mic.

"Keena. I need you to scan the area to see if you can transmit yourself to a tablet, and examine it for me."

Hearing her name, a violet haired navi popped up on the phone's screen, placing a hand to her mouth as she began to yawn. "More work? Kay, i'll see what I can do." The AI seemed to have just woken up from a shutdown after a long day of working with Liz, but was more than willing to do a bit of exploring now that she was awake once more.

"Whats the deal anyways? Why can't you take a look?" Keena quizzed her master, trying to figure out the details.

"Let's just say i'm not able to get to it physically, but it looks like some sort of new model with no identifications. could be something interesting." Liz replied with a smirk, keeping an eye out for Kale to make sure he couldn't see what she was doing.

"Oooh, sounds fun. Alright lets see what I can find, then!" Keena began checking all the access points picked up by the phone, trying to identify if one might belong to this mysterious tablet Liz had mentioned. It was an exciting thought, sneaking into something outside of her job, and now she too was curious what she would find.
"Patrolman Isaac here, go ahead Detective," a male voice responded over the radio.

Keena, meanwhile, did as Elizabeth requested, and used the phone's wifi sonar to detect nearby wifi sources. She got two returns in her immediate vicinity:

kalephone [[b]|||||[/b]]
kalephone [[b]|||||[/b]]

...and they were identical. It was anyone's guess which one was the tablet.
"I'm at North Metro Three and looking at half of a shooting here," Kale said over the radio. "The other half is most likely at Industrial Station, so I need you to go there and tell me if you find anything."
"Liz, looks like something weird happened. Is your phone busted? It's picking up two signals but under the same name." Keena scratched her head, wondering if it was just some weird interference, and one was actually the tablet.

"Well, i guess we just try one and get out if we choose wrong... lets see what the bottom one is... try connecting to it." Liz replied softly, not really sure what to do in this situation from her phone.

"Gotcha!" With that, keena attempted to connect to the second wifi signal. She was a little wary, but her curiosity was still in full swing. Worse came to worst, she'd just get out as quick as she could.
"Alright, Detective, I'm on it," Isaac replied.

A moment later, Kale's phone rang. He had a phone call....

Keena was still trying to connect to kalephone....