A long night in Toronto....

The office was devoid of almost all second shift workers. Tyler, who was also a gaming buddy of Elizabeth's, was still plugging away at his terminal when Elizabeth finally powered hers down. He was working on a different project than her this time, and his project mates all saw fit to telecommute. Tyler would probably have done the same had he not blown up his laptop trying to run too many simulations at once. So there he sat, at his desk for the first time in memory. He was absorbed in his work, and did not notice her preparing to leave.

The other office workers in the room were third shifters, and Elizabeth knew not a one of them. The other people in the building at this time of night were all janitors and more third shifters she didn't know.
Grabbing her bag, the last half of her energy drink and pushing the chair into her desk Liz began to step away from her work station. She was anxious to get out of this place, a coffin of sorts stealing her away from the gaming world she so longed for right about now. She was about to turn away and take off as quickly as her athletic legs could take her, but she paused for a moment only to turn towards Tyler.

"Hey T, I'm outta here. Am I gonna see you on the server tonight? Gonna roll up a character as soon as I get home, get as far as I can before my body gives out."

She noticed that he seemed out of it, and she didn't blame him. He had a tough one this time around and he'd been at it for a while. If he didn't respond, she was ready to just bolt for the door.
Tyler looked up from his workstation, looking slightly dazed as his mind tried to shift gears from project hell to pleasant conversation. "Umm..." He rubbed his eyes for a moment. "Maybe. I'll message you when I'm done." The man sounded drained by his work, but if the past was any indicator, he really would message her just as soon as he was done. In the meantime, the blond haired man went back to work.
"Alright. Don't burn yourself out again. Later."

With that, Liz wasted little time in heading for the exit. She needed to hurry since she was taking the subway home, and it was already getting pretty late. Normally she didn't mind it so much, in fact she preferred the chance to walk to and from the station, but with the late shift she really wished she had taken the time out of her busy schedule to take her car in to the shop finally. Bloody thing just HAD to stop working the week she was saddle with the extra hours.

It was bullshit, but just her luck all the same.
---- Downtown Toronto; Northside Metroline Station 3; Friday, February 2nd 1:28 AM....

A brisk walk down the street from the Symantec building, and down a short flight of stairs led Elizabeth to her destination: the subway station. She had to pay a half of a credit to gain entry, as she did not possess a metropass, but this wasn't particularly a problem. Moving past the toll gate, Elizabeth found the station to be absolutely deserted. No surprise, given the time of night. Her phone buzzed, and a text message within told her the time of arrival for the next train going her way: 1:42 AM.
"Tch, seriously?"

She knew the train would be slow at this time of night but she had hoped it would be a bit faster than this. Liz was certainly glad it was quiet in the station however. She always hated the thought of having to deal with some wierdo, trying to make conversation or something. You never could be too careful of creeps in the city. She pulled her hood over her head, as she leaned up against a wall, watching the time ever so closely as she waited for the train to come.

Time just seemed to move so slowly. Such a pain in the ass.
Elizabeth's phone chimes, indicating she has received a new message.
"Hmm? what is it this time. Is T done so soon? He seemed like there was a lot left..."

Liz muttered as she pulled out her phone, and perused her texts. If this was spam about a free cruise again, she was more than ready to prepare several revenge hacks coming their way. First it was the calls, that damn bullhorn, then the texts. Bloody jerks never seemed to leave her alone.

Just one more and it would break the camels back, Liz only had so much patience for them left.
Luckily for everyone, it was indeed from Tyler.

Quote (SMS)

Hey, Liz, I just got done with my work. It's the weekend, and we've finally got time to play Badlands5. I wanted to invite you to a group play session tomorrow around two-ish. Sean and Angela will be there, and Liu said he'll think about it. Marcus and his crew are logging in, too. That leaves you, girl. So how 'bout it? Will our ace technomancer make an appearance this Saturday?

I hope to hear back from you. Peace.

Quote (SMS)

You know it! I'm ready to kick ass and take names, I just cant wait to get started. 2 sounds fine for me, I'll see you all then! This legendary Technomancer wont let you down!

Her fingers darted across the screens virtual keypad with supernatural pace as she fired off a return message, wondering what the hell was taking the subway so long to show up.
Elizabeth didn't have to wait terribly long after sending her reply to Tyler. It was now 1:42 AM, amd the train she was waiting for rumbled into the station right on schedule. However, as the train pulled in, it seemed someone had vandalized some of the windows, as they were very much broken here and there. There were even dents, dings, and eventualy the occasional hole in the side of the next car to pull in. It wasn't until the last car pulled into view that the true extent of what she was actually seeing may or may not have clicked for her.... There was blood all over the outside of the last car, and it was riddled with bullet holes. The plexiglass doors that led into that car were shatered, as were most of the windows. There was a body lying just beyond those broken doors that were very clearly not working anymore. And neither was the body.
Liz was shaken by the sight of the last car, and even more so at the sight of blood. She couldn't help but wonder what had happened but it was a mere after thought compared to the question was that person even still alive? Her first instinct was to run forward, and investigate, calling out to the body to see if they were even conscious.

"Hey! What happened! Can you hear me?!"

She yelled, before realizing she should probably call 911. She swiftly dialed the number, while she approached the body and tried to see if they were alive or otherwise.
Elizabeth was unable to get inside the train car, as the busted doors, featuring much sharp broken glass still attached to them, continued to bar entry. The inside of the train car was covered in broken glass, shattered plastic from the overhead display panels, and bullet riddled seating. Some of the rails and poles within the car were even severed, bent, or broken clean off. There wasn't much blood inside the car itself.

The body of the man in the train car did not respond to Elizabeth. It appeared that he was not conscious, but he was still breathing, as indicated by the rise and fall of his chest. There seemed to be a lack of blood near the body, nor did it seem the man had been shot... or if he had, it wasn't readily evident.

The glint of a rather expensive looking state of the art tablet computer lying on the floor next to the man caught Liz's eye as she surveyed the scene before contacting the police. In fact, it might not be a model commercially available yet....

Computer nerd moment aside, the other end of the line picked up, and a woman's voice spoke through the phone: "911 Emergency Services; how may I help you?"
Liz shook her head as she heard the voice on the other line. Expensive electronics could wait till later, when there wasn't an unconscious man behind blood stained doors.

"I need help at the north side metro-line 3rd station! There's an unconscious man stuck in one of the cars. The doors are stuck and there's blood, he might be dying!"

Liz quickly looked for the station map located on the wall, trying to get an exact address even though she assumed 911 would know where the station was anyways. She was in a bit of a panic, seeing as how she'd never really had an emergency like this being a shut in most of her early life.
"Okay, ma'am. Stay where you are. Officers are on the way...."

---- Midtown Toronto; Friday, February 2nd, 2:00 AM....

And then Kale got the call... "Dispatch to available units in district 3: 911 reports of a possible shooting in North Metro Station 3. Units taking this call please respond, over."
"Almost time," Kale said, glancing at the clock on his computer glasses. Just a few more minutes and he would finally be able to go home and get some sleep. Today had been a quiet day, or at least quiet in the sense that the only incidents had been minor or traffic incidents including, just a half hour ago, a drunk driver who had found his way onto the wrong side of the road. Simple stuff that regular officers and troopers had been called in for. Unless there was something like a shooting in these last few minutes, he was home free. And a good thing, too, because the next day would be the first day off he could get in a long time now. Russell, an old friend from college, was in town and had been planning on meeting him for a range trip and (later, of course) a few drinks. Hell, if he hadn't been on call Kale could have met him tonight.

He glanced at the clock again. 1:59. He fired a message off to Russell, saying that he'd be good to go tomorrow, then got ready to head home. It was right as he reached his car that a voice came through his radio. "Dispatch to available units in district 3: 911 reports of a possible shooting in North Metro Station 3. Units taking this call please respond, over."

"What timing," Kale said. He let a few seconds of silence pass before answering. "Detective Kale Barrett, responding. Over."

A minute later, he was pulling out onto an empty road. Fortunately, with very little worry of traffic on the way, North Metro 3 wouldn't be too long of a drive from his current position. All that left was what he was going to find once he got there.

It was going to be a long night.
---- Downtown Toronto; Northside Metroline Station 3; Friday, February 2nd 2:08 AM....

Kale arrived at the station in short order; apparently first to respond. Upon descending into the station proper, a quick swipe of his badge across the toll sensor let him pass without fuss or bother. Beyond that, he was able to see the young woman near the parked subway train that was in no danger of going anywhere since it was in emergency stop mode. The last car in that train was shot up, and the area around what remained of the entry door was covered in someone's blood. There was no blood anywhere in the station itself, however. There were the usual assortment of vending machines, benches, and whatnot, but no overt signs that the crime took place here.

This would require investigation, of course.
Definitely a shooting.

As soon as he descended into the station and reached the platform, Kale took in as much of the scene as he could. He checked first for any signs of people in the station other than the young woman who had more than likely called the incident in, then looked over the last car of the train, then the rest of the platform around the train. Nothing to suggest the crime had taken place inside the station, but he could get the details of that in a moment. First, there was something more important to take care of.

"Good evening. I'm Detective Kale Barrett," He said to the woman, raising his badge for her to see. "If you don't mind, I will be with you in just a moment." He approached the shot-up car and looked inside through one of the broken windows. He quickly caught sight of the man inside, unconscious, but from the looks of it still alive.

"This is Detective Kale Barrett," he said through his radio. "I'm at North Metro Station 3. I have one man here, unconscious, likely in need of medical attention. Over."
The female dispatcher responded after a short pause. "Copy that. Additional units and EMS en-route." The com lit up with background chatter on various sub bands as the woman finished speaking, but nothing loud enough to indicate anyone was speaking to Kale directly.
"That takes care of one problem," Kale said, mostly to himself. "For the moment." To tell the truth, the person who would likely know more about what had just happened was the unconscious man in the train car, not the woman in the station. With no signs of damage to the surrounding platform and nothing obvious to indicate that anyone present owned all the blood on the shot up train car, it didn't take a genius to come to the conclusion that the shooting had taken place at a different station. Or between stations, which would be much more complicated.

Nonetheless, he had to at least speak to the witness. He turned toward the woman, trying to look as non-threatening as he could manage. Normally it wasn't hard, he thought of himself as looking like any old Joe, but any pretense of 'ordinary citizen' went out the window after flashing a badge. "Now then," he said, "Can you tell me anything about what happened here?"