The NetTesters

You open the door a whisker, hoping to see something interesting. Suddenly, the door is ripped from your grasp, and a rather tall gray navi stares you in the face. Hey, how did you find your way back here? This is a restricted area.... He stares at you a little more before softening his gaze. Oh well. If you made it past security, you've gotta be something. Here, let me introduce you to the crew.

Grabbing you by the arm, he drags you into the room, where four very different navis are kicking back, some moreso than others.

The gray navi turns back to you. Basically, it's me and my team of five. I'm kind of the leader, since I do most of the organising.

Leader my ass, you just tell us to do stuff and we ignore you. came a voice from behind some odd rocket shape.

Amen to that! a navi sprawled on the couch cried out. The two offending navis each clenched a fist and butted them together. The red navi then slid himself into the rocket, and the green navi went back to lying around.

ANYWAY said Gray, ignoring the taunt, as I was saying, I take charge of this group of distinguished crew. I'll introduce you to the lot. You follow him over to a navi constructing some sort of rocket, disturbingly large and filled with many blades. Hey dude, come out and say hello. he requested.

Can't, busy right now. Come back in a minute, man. the voice came back.

Whatever, dude. Sighing, he looks around the room, and focuses on the two female navis sitting at the coffee table. THEY'LL say hi. he muttered, once again dragging you over, as if you didn't know how to walk.

Snapping from their conversation, a blue and yellow navi looked up to Gray. Hey Gus, who's the shadow? the yellow-suited navi spoke, a hint of harshness in her voice. So, Gray has a name: Gus.

Don't know. Caught him sneaking around outside. 'Gus' explained.

Well, don't be rude Amber, introduce yourself. the blue-suited navi joked, lightly punching her partner in the shoulder.

Alright, alright. Turning to you, she sighs, and begins what sounds like a written speech: Hi, I'm Amber. It's my job to make sure all electricity requirements are met for any and all of our experiments. However, I also double as the team's communications and technology expert.

That's better. she said, turning her attention to you as well. My name's Aurora. I'm responsible for making sure the guys stay out of danger, and I'm always there to ensure that any damage to themselves is taken care of. I also double as the team's water cannon. she said, slightly giggling at the last part.

Thanks girls. he said, rolling her eyes at the two. Walking away from them and towards the green navi on the couch, he whispers into your ear: Trust me, you may think we have two hot chicks on board for entertainment, but they're badass in the field. He then jumped up and landed on the couch, sending Green flying towards the floor.

Bastard, I was enjoying that! he growled.

Exactly. Was. Now say hi. Gus commanded, pointing a finger at you while making his statement.

Fine. Not even bothering to turn his head towards you, Green speaks. Name's Lumber, and I'm responsible for all the equipment we use, both keepers and one-timers. I double as a nature-caller, but that don't mean I'm a pansy: I'm also the group's prick. Now GET OFF MY COUCH! he yelled at Gus.

Thank you. Gus said as he got off Lumber's couch, only seconds away from being squished by the navi's large frame being hurled back onto the sofa. Looking around, Gus seemed confused. Where did Carbon go?

He went out to get some more hydrogen. the first voice from before called out. The red navi suddenly slid out of the rocket. Done. he confirmed to himself. Grabbing a hold of your hand, he gives you a very forceful handshake. Name's Force. If it can be exploded, fired, detonated, or blasted, I can do it bigger and better. he laughed, a wide smile across his face. Turning back to his rocket, an unimpressed look changed his demeanour. That's not right... he commented before climbing back in.

Those'll be his last words, you know. Gus chuckled to himself.

Of course they will, the guy's got no sense of control. said a purple navi, walking through the door. Hey, who's the newb?

Don't worry, I'm just introducing the team.

Ah. Well, in that case, my name's Carbon. the navi replied before placing down a large box filled with many different bottles, cans and tubes. I take care of all the gases and liquids we need to conduct our experiments. Believe you me, that's not an easy job. Poison's my game, I guess, I just can't get enough of the stuff.

And don't we know it. Gus slided back before leading you back to the door. Well, that's my crew. On top of leading, I'm also in charge of winds and quick movements. Heading back into the corridor, Gus gives you a card. Me and my group are called the NetTesters. Think of us as a free-for-hire ground that'll test almost anything, sanity permitting. Give us a call, drop us a line, or send us an email, and if we're interested, the crew will roll out and take care of the request. With that, Gus closed the door, leaving you rubbing your eyes, wondering if what you just saw was real. Well, you've got the card, you've got the invitation. Will you put it to use though?
I'm Force.

I'm Aurora.

I'm Amber.

I'm Lumber.

I'm Carbon.

And I'm Gus.

TOGETHER, WE'RE THE NET-TESTERS.

Today is our first step into broadcasted action, so today we'll start off with a teaser.

We answer the question:

Can an object break under excess stress?

We call it...

NET-TESTERS TEST #156 (#14 REVISITED): ROCKCUBE CODE STABILITY

Okay, so if you follow me, you'll see this RockCube. As you can see by comparing it to me, it's pretty big and strong. Lumber bangs on the cube to demonstrate the rigidity. It's pretty strong. But, as you can see... he stated as he moved away from the large brick, they're not indestructable.

Simple blasts take them out easily. Force commented before pushing down a lever in front of him. Suddenly, a loud explosion rocked the area, splitting the RockCube into millions of pieces.

Geez, Force, we only needed enough blast to take it apart, not decimate it. Amber complained, picking the settling dust and rubble out of her hair.

Why settle for less, I always say. Force grinned.

Now, we'll call out another RockCube, of exact same make and health. Lumber explained. Another large cube, almost identical to the first, suddenly appeared and filled the void of the last cube.

What would happen if somebody healed the Rockcube while another person was attacking it? Gus proposed.

Time to find out. said Aurora, moving into position. To show that it's equal healing to damage, Carbon and I will begin firing at each other with stream attacks, so we can co-ordinate the best possible output of power together. Once we've achieved that, our attacks should meet at the same point for as long as we can keep the attack going.

This means that the power is equal, since neither is being dissipated more by the other. Carbon continued.

Once they have equality, I'll move the RockCube into place, and we'll watch from the bunker. Gus confirmed. Remember kids, we're trained professionals working in secure places, so don't try this on your home network. he added before moving next to the brick. Lumber, Amber and Force moved into the bunker.

As the two navis began charging their long-term use attacks, Gus looked toward the camera. I never get tired of this one. he laughed.

The beams of blue and purple suddenly shot out of their owners, and collided rather heavily, the resulting force wave knocking Gus over, even though it was a fair distance away. As the two adjusted levels to match each other, slowly an orb began to form at the colliding point. As it grew larger and larger, its movement also began to slow. When it had almost stopped moving, Gus used his wind abilities and slid the Rockcube effortlessly into the ball.

At first, nothing happened. After a couple of minutes, the Rockcube began to glow on its own accord. You see, commented Gus, now inside the bunker as well, we found out that there are two kinds of Rockcube. One is generic, and will simply remain even after doing what we are doing right now, and there's the reinforced ones, which, strangely, do what you're about to witness.

Suddenly, without warning, a large gray shield appeared, centred around the Rockcube. Instantly it began repelling all the damage being fired upon it by Carbon and the healing by Aurora. Once they noticed this, they stop instantly and began to run towards the bunker.

Too late.

In an instant of time, the Rockcube suddenly disintegrated and let forth an almighty seismic wave of kinetic energy, picking up both Aurora and Carbon and throwing them skyhigh. Upon touching the bunker, designed to withstand a class 7 blast attack, its roof slightly bent in, scaring those within it. As the repetitive rocking force finally began to stop, after minutes of reverberation, the four team members came out of the bunker.

Whoever made Rockcubes were morons. Instead of breaking up, like a normal virus would attempt to do, the Rockcube just keeps absorbing both energies, allowing its molecules to move in and out.

When that happens, you essentially get an unstable hydrogen bomb: only this one is as powerful as the total amount of grains in the Rockcube. As you can see... she trailed off, pointing to an extremely large hole in the ground, ...that's not a good thing.

[15 MINUTES LATER]

Well, as you can see, we've managed to find Aurora and Carbon, our two battered champions. he smiled as he presented the two.

Hey, don't worry about me, I can just heal myself she laughed. Carbon's going to have it harder though, I haven't started on him yet... she giggled as the camera focused in on the purple navi. His eyes were closed and his facial expressions clearly indicated he was in a lot of pain.

It's alright Carbon, you're gonna live. Lumber laughed.

WHAT? he yelled.

Lumber said you'll live. Amber repeated, a lot louder than Lumber.

WHAT? he yelled again.

Guys, he can't hear you, his ears are probably still ringing. she managed to say, still giggling about the whole incident.

Gus sighed. Well, there you go. Tune in next time, where hopefully we'll answer a viewer's request.

I reckon I could've made that bigger. Force remarked before getting slapped and booed by the others.

Ahhhh isn't this a treat! Well... let's see... I myself have embarked on my own few experiments... more over taking and applying virus parts onto my own body. It's not the nicest thing to them but hey, we bust them all the time so I have to do it my own way. Here's one I've been thinking myself: Can a virus live without a part? We know so little about the adaptations of a virus... ironic since we know so much about the real life ones. Anywhoooo... I can't wait to see what happens~ If I'm impressed, I may just put in a few more from my Medical friends.

- DNR.EXE

Quote (DNR)

Ahhhh isn't this a treat! Well... let's see... I myself have embarked on my own few experiments... more over taking and applying virus parts onto my own body. It's not the nicest thing to them but hey, we bust them all the time so I have to do it my own way. Here's one I've been thinking myself: Can a virus live without a part? We know so little about the adaptations of a virus... ironic since we know so much about the real life ones. Anywhoooo... I can't wait to see what happens~ If I'm impressed, I may just put in a few more from my Medical friends.

- DNR.EXE

[Playing audio message by [color=green]LUMBER.EXE[/color]]

First of all, thank you for emailing us in the correct format. We don't usually respond to messages not formatted properly, so it's good to see that you have indeed used the correct format.

In regards to your request, I'm not sure about this one, as removing and editing virus parts is constituted as acts of cruelty in certain parts of the world. I'll just check with our televising rep before we go ahead.

[5 MINUTES LATER]

Okay, it is confirmed that such experiments are okay to conduct in Electopia. We will attempt to modify selected virii and play with the results. If you have any particular virii you'd like to see, please let us know by sending another message.

Until next time.

[Message ends...]

REQUEST: APPROVED, ADDED TO EPISODE GUIDE.
Hi, I'm Force.

I'm Aurora.

I'm Amber.

I'm Lumber.

I'm Carbon.

And I'm Gus.

Thanks to a viewer submission, today we're looking at the intricacies of the data and what a virus needs to survive. We call it:

NET-TESTERS TEST #157: VIRII PROGRAMMING

To make this work, we first had to battle and capture the virii we wanted to work on. At that point Lumber pointed at a peculiar object; it was almost cube-like, and had a rather large, yet clear storage container. Inside were thousands of pieces of what looked like random data flying around inside at high speeds. Connected to this chamber was a long hose, with a pointed nozzle at the end. This is a DataCap. Its main purpose is to extract self-destructing data before it fragments. This effectively allows us to recreate virii, constructed from their raw data. However...

However, cut in Amber, modifying virii data is not easy. Virii aren't like network navigators, whose code is built upon core systems that come together to create an entity. A virus is made of three parts: an intelligence system, a battle system, and a physical system. These three are very intricately knitted together, and alterning one, even slightly, has a dynamic impact on the others. This usually results in self-deletion, so reprogramming them can be challenging. Amber then turned to Lumber. Just say it next time, stop sidestepping. she sneered, half mocking her companion.

In other words, while we will endeavour to do our best to work on this request, some time will be required before we can test any virii we desire. Carbon explained. However, we wouldn't make an episode to simply say "Come back next time". We have made some progress...

With that, Aurora came forward, holding in her hands a Metool. We discovered most of the aggression that comes from a Metool is stored inside the base coding of the pickaxe weapon. Once we removed that, as well as referencing data on how it would call upon and use the pickaxe... he's actually quite adorable... The Metool leant into Aurora's chest and... snuggled?

I think I'm going to be sick... Force slurred sarcastically. Turning back to the camera, Force suddenly smiled in a very creepy manner. We were able to modify another virus as well. he said with a level of excitement in his voice.

Force, I thought we'd discussed that we'd show that one in another episode... Gus said sternly as he tried to hide his anger.

What, you mean this? he blurted out as his data called out a Ratty... without eyes.

Oh god. RUN! cried out Carbon as the rodent, suddenly becoming alive, took off along the ground, scared witless as he realised he couldn't see.

FORCE, I TOLD YOU NOT TODAY! Gus yelled as he jumped out of the crazy virii's way. TELL ME YOU DIDN'T SOUP UP THIS ONE TOO!

Well... he smirked.

WOAH! Aurora cried as she too jumped out of the Ratty's path. FORCE, YOU MORON! she screamed at him, while the Metool shook in her arms. Gus, we're out! she cried as she picked up the server's travel path and logged out of the room.

Us too, we're not stupid! said Carbon as he and Lumber also logged out to a safe location.

The Ratty, still running madly, suddenly stopped swerving and, although not being able to see, sensed an obstacle ahead of him. Locking on, he calculated his course and charged forward...

...towards the camera.

Well, that's all for today. We'll keep working on the virii codes, and we'll make sure FORCE she shouted, punching him hard in shoulder as she said it, has as little to do with the experiments. she finished as she too logged out.

Oh, it's not that big a deal. We have insurance against the equipment, anyway. Force argued as he logged out.

Yeah, but there'll be nothing left to claim insurance with, you dumbass. he muttered. I'm Gus, and this has been NetTesters. If you see us next time, it means that we got our insurance claim... he farewelled as his body too was taken away.

Meanwhile, the Ratty, hellbent in speed, collided with the camera.

[TRANSMISSION LOST]

Well. Haven't seen something like this in quite a while. First time I've seen this on a digital perspective. I'm such a science buff, I don't know where to swoon over. I like Aurora, though. Hah, that was a little foolish of me. Though, I would like to see how exactly terrain responds to different situations. Like, what would happen if you unintentionally dropped into Grass terrain while on fire? That would be so awesome.

- Harke Ezarith

Quote (Fera)

Well. Haven't seen something like this in quite a while. First time I've seen this on a digital perspective. I'm such a science buff, I don't know where to swoon over. I like Aurora, though. Hah, that was a little foolish of me. Though, I would like to see how exactly terrain responds to different situations. Like, what would happen if you unintentionally dropped into Grass terrain while on fire? That would be so awesome.

- Harke Ezarith

[Playing audio message by AMBER.EXE]

Another Aurora fan. Shock. Her fanbase is as big as her... well... let's move on.

You want to see terrain effects from a different scientific view eh? I think we can arrange that. You'll have to wait until the insurance clears up, thanks to a blown server from our last experiment. Don't you worry, Force will get what he deserves.

Terrain effects...

Hmm...

Hah, that might actually work...

Yep, you bet, we can certainly do that.

Until next time.

[Message ends...]

Ahoooohohhooo... well... as a scientific professional, I have to say cudos to Amber's thorough examination about what makes a virus tick. I myself can't wait to see the next part of the viral programming. Actually I'll have two requests, but maybe I'm being too demanding, heheh:

1. First off, my mentee of a netoperator Polonius has his own question, mainly about the colliding of different status effects. A big one he's been pondering on programming would be a mix of confusion and of a magnet terrain.

2. I'm a bit curious myself of mixing in Glitches with status effects.

-DNR

What an interesting webcast. The net does need adventurous people like you to effectively solve the lingering questions we have about many things. This cast has certainly been informative.

Now, this may be a sort of season finale sorts request, but if you could get to it...

Find out how the Undernet originated and why it's become what it is now.

Good luck. I expect great things from you all, in time.

-Fujiwara Shin
E-Mail: Kedamono kodarashi@YokaZoo.net

Uhm, I love your series so far and, well, I have a small request that I've been curious about for quite sometime.

Why do elemental viruses and navis have special effects on certain panel types? Wood recovers their HP on grass, Fire can easily go through lava panels and even go into them without damage, Aqua manages to not slip on ice and can submerge themselves in water with ease and Elec can easily walk upon Magnetic panels without being thrown about like all other elemental navigators.

We have all been taught the basics, but, perhaps you could divulge into the specifics, if at all possible. I await your reply.

-Kedamono Kodarashi
[Playing audio message by GUS.EXE]

Hello again! This is Gus, back from a rather dark time at NetTesters.

Thanks to a certain person who's name will not be mentioned, we lost the use of our servers on our last episode. But have no fear, we will be back soon, ready to explore the intricacies of the glorious technology that is the Net.

Until next time.

[Message ends...]
I'm Force.

I'm Aurora.

I'm Amber.

I'm Lumber.

I'm Carbon.

And I'm Gus.

It's been a while since our last broadcast. Thanks to a certain person whose name will not be mentioned, we lost the use of our servers on our last episode. In the background you can see Force clenching the air with his fist, shortly followed by Amber kicking him in the ass. As an argument broke out, Gus' voice continues. But have no fear, the server has been repaired, reinforced, and ready to go. Huh, reinforced. Gus chuckled to himself. So let's get into our next segment.

Aurora continues. With all the new terrain being discovered in the networks, it's time we asked ourselves, "What is safe, what is not, and what should be avoided at all costs? Here's a newly compiled list and section we call:

NET-TESTERS TEST #158: TERRAIN-CROSSING

Amber, walking away from a downed and rather bruised Force, laughed to Gus. Hah, that'll teach him for calling me a blonde bit-

Pss, we're on air. Gus whispered, beckoning his head toward the camera.

Hmm? said Amber, staring at the camera. Oh yeah, red light, forgot about that, she sneered, rolling her eyes. Anyway, most of you know the basics: Lava, Sea, Ice, Metal, Magnet, Wood, Sand, Poison, Holy, Cracked, Broken, Missing-

Square! Lumber called from the background. His reward was an immediate lightning bolt to the face.

As you can see, that's already a long enough list. piped up Carbon from the background. He started counting his fingers as he walked towards the camera. That's... 12 types, yes?

Yep. Now add these new ones; Coal, Furnace, Onsen, Snow, Solar, Soil, Mud, Quicksand, Glass, Cursed-

And don't forget normal. said Gus proudly, as if he'd remembered something amazing.

I think that's a given, Gus. Amber muttered, almost giggling as she said it.

I was just saying, is all... said Gus, trailing off in a small huff.

That makes TWENTY-THREE different REGISTERED types of terrain. The number is much higher than that.

So you could be forgiven for forgetting what some do, said Force, finally getting up and joining the others.

So says the guy who mixed up Onsen and Sea panels, joked Lumber, forcing a laugh from the entire group.

Anyway, we're wasting time, let's get the experiments underway. Gus finally said, trying to bring some organisation to the group. The original request was what would happen to somebody who jumped into a field of Wood panels while on fire. Our volunteer...

Force raised his hand. ...that would be me...

...will now run over to that field over there, and he pointed to a small plain about a minutes walk away, and jump in while under full combustion. Ready Force?

Off I go! he cried and ran towards the grass.

Aurora came close to the camera and started whispering. Force thinks he's about to demonstrate that once a Wood panel gets hit by fire, it ultimately raises the intensity of the original fire by double, at the cost of the entire panel, returning it to normal. However, as payback for the last show, I've had a friend...

Carbon nodded. ...me...

...tamper slightly with the panel. Observe the effect in 3...

Suddenly the whole camera view turned white and remained that way for about 15 seconds. Suddenly you hear a rather large crash, and as the vision returns to normal, you can see Force sprawled out on the ground, completely black instead of his usual red.

See, resilient net-grade grass is an excellent retainer of poison. Particularly explosive kinds. My meter puts the adjusted grass as near-C4 level. All it needs is a trigger. Or, in this case, Force. he concluded, pointing at the severly injured navi.

Aurora, take care of him. Gus sighed. As Aurora walked over to Force and began her magic, the camera swung away to a new area.

He could probably use some Onsen panels. Lumber commented, before taking centre-stage on the new field, full of brown sludge. These are Mud panels, and unless you're a Wood type, these will wreck your day. Not mine though. he finished as he splashed around a bit. But don't mix them up with Magnet panels, or you'll end up with a randomly generated mud-thrower.

Amber walked up to the mud, and quickly zapped a corner. Instantly, it started spraying mud in all directions.

Huh, what do you know... she admired.

Can you turn that off? Lumber grumbled as shots of mud continued to slap his face.

Why? Amber laughed as she walked away.

And over here, you'll find the most potent panel currently known. said Carbon as he pointed to a purple hazy panel, with black mists waving off of them. Cursed Poison panels. These will deplete a navi's energy faster than Lumber cleans up his dinner plate. he laughed. To demonstrate, watch how fast it destroys a RockCube. And with that he generated a cube and threw it into the poison. As soon as it made contact, it just melted away, like a real-life body being dropped in magma. It's not a lava panel, but it burns just as effectively.

Geez, everybody's a comedian today. Gus said as he rolled his eyes. We're running out of time, but there's just so many different applications for these panels: explosives on Furnace panels, Confusion on Snow panels, Burns on Solar panels, the list goes on. If you still want to see more, let us know. We may have to spend another episode enploring this in the future

Force is alright. commented Aurora from off-camera.

Why wouldn't he be? He's suffered worse than that. Gus replied. Last of all, we've had a limited amount of success melding two or more virii together. Using the knowledge from the placid Metool, we've managed to combine the mind or a Metool to a HotStove-slash-RedFruit cross. With that he pointed to a Champy-look-a-like, but with a hard apple helmet, protective metal casing and short, stumpy legs.

He can create Wood-enhanced HotBody-style flamethrowing attacks, both near and far. Carbon commented.

That's a mouthful. Gus complained. Anyway, I'm Gus, saying bye for now, and we'll see you next time on NetTes- and a large ball of fire slammed him straight in the face.

That's for letting them do that, Force yelled off-camera.

Nothing's changed, he sighed before changing in a LongSword and stepping off-camera.

Quote (DNR)

Ahoooohohhooo... well... as a scientific professional, I have to say cudos to Amber's thorough examination about what makes a virus tick. I myself can't wait to see the next part of the viral programming. Actually I'll have two requests, but maybe I'm being too demanding, heheh:

1. First off, my mentee of a netoperator Polonius has his own question, mainly about the colliding of different status effects. A big one he's been pondering on programming would be a mix of confusion and of a magnet terrain.

2. I'm a bit curious myself of mixing in Glitches with status effects.

-DNR

[Playing audio message by CARBON.EXE]

DNR, it's nice to hear from you again. We're still working on virus seperation and melding, and something you might be interested to know is that Amber has made some progress towards virus fragment summoning. I won't steal her thunder though, she'll reveal that project when she's ready.

While mixing status effects should be relatively safe, there is a slight moral delamour with your request to combine status effects with glitches. See, glitches are the temporary displacement of core program data. Status effects are also temporary, but they deal with scrambling a program's interface, not their code. Each on their own is recoverable, but both together can have some very bad consequences.

I make mention of this as you may not be aware of the recent incident in SciLab. An experiment caused a navi to be hit with both a stability loss status effect and a combustion glitch. His armor set itself off in a containment lab and killed not just himself but four of his comrades.

We'll probably try to do both in the same show, but just beware that our hands may be tied on the second part.

[Message ends...]