X-Com

X-Com Recruitment Center

"If you would kindly get your ass to the armory and get a weapon, I'd like to know your goddamn specialty. See, here we need to know what you're good at. If you were good at baseball, best at the firing range. Hell, I don't give a damn if you were playing video games so you reckon you have good reflexes. Just give me a sit-rep on what we can use. As it is, you're just a rookie. You may die. Hell, you may die even if you're as lucky as all hell. We're facing an enemy that we know nothing about. They have every advantage over us, and we have to reverse engineer their weapons so we can actually use the high-powered pieces of shit. Give me a rifle any day. But, that's not my choice, so youll get fancy hi-tech toys if you can prove yourself. We're taking just about anyone right now. I thought I'd be getting a cushy job 'till retirement. Instead, I have to look at little turds like you wasting my time. Getting recruited is easy. We're taking anyone. Getting promotions are easy.

You get them by not dying. See, what happens to the competition is that they drop six feet under. Ventilated through several holes in their flesh. Just keep your ass intact, and you'll be heading up in the ranks. Take even a single shot right now- and you'll probably be dead.
"

"Er, perhaps what our Captain meant to say was; if you would like to register for the Extraterrestrial Combat Squad, tell us what you've got. We're not the most formal of the people 'round here, and what we really need is new cannon fodder right now. I'll tell it to you straight. You will probably die here. I'm regretting signing up myself. All the letters I send out get censored if they even refer to this place. The salary is forty grand on arrival, sure. The cash per month is about another ten grand. I'd put that forty grand into buying some decent body armor or something though, and not that new car, if you want to survive for another month. I've seen one of the guys who just came back from the first mission. One of three survivors. He was spooked. He had been assigned to door breaching, while three others stayed outside to sweep the area. Four were to stay outside while four went in near to all at once. He did just fine. He lived, along with well- almost everyone who went inside the ship. They breached inside, took down two aliens, then finally breached a second room- which turned out to be a broom closet or something. The people outside though---

They went to investigate a couple shots fired at the sand to the north. Rookie Kenji Okabe was the first one taken down. One of the alien guns managed to hit him with a burst shot as he nailed that thing in the face. Rookie Twi was next after he barely missed the thing. One of the Rookies with a pistol also went to investigate. He got taken down with a single lucky shot. According to to Squaddie Marcelle's testimony, it was at this point that he panicked. After more than half the squad got taken out. The remaining three, who have been promoted to Squaddies, went outside. Gaston Marcelle, Dethis Harbin, and Louis Lefevre. They took shots, managing several hits. Squaddie Harbin managed to score the final shot before the alien could respond.

It was over the blood of five recruits that we got our hands on this. Well, even if you wanted to leave after that, you couldn't. We've already told you too much. The only way you're leaving here without security clearance is until the information gets declassified- or in a bodybag. So, what's the choice?
"

What Stats do.

Quote (Harbin's Diary)

Jan. 28, 1999
I've been trying to figure out what's going on around here. I see guys I could've sworn dying walking around as if nothing happened. Hell, they don't even remember what happened. Went up and asked that Twi guy about the last mission, he told me he was recruited just yesterday.

What's going on here? Are they using some sort of alien technology to bring them back or something..? Because it's creepy. Argolina, and Reverus were the only ones to survive last mission, according to the manifest. Don't know what happened to Marchand. Heard a missile go off, and we got the all clear. Maybe he took it out with him or something. Reminds me of the last mission. Nobody got a promotion, though. Twi killed three of the things before he bit the dust. Now that we had the tank, I was thinking we'd be a lot better off. Instead--- well... Five out of eight dead. More reminiscent of the first mission than anything else. Still can't believe that one alien managed to take out half the squad.

We really need to tighten our recruitment standards.

[i]Forumname[/i]- Incharname
[b]Rank:[/b] (Default Rookie)
[b]Top Stat:[/b] (Bravery, Reactions, Firing Accuracy, Throwing Accuracy, Time Units, Stamina, Health, Strength)
[b]Weapon:[/b] (Pistol, Rifle, Heavy cannon, Autocannon, Laser Pistol, Laser rifle, Rocket Launcher)
[b]Ammo:[/b] (Depends on ammo, if you need a special ammo type, I'll ask.)

Current Casualty Rate: 41% (7/17 KIA)

Chardes- Camillia (KIA)
Top Stat: Firing Accuracy
Weapon: Rocket Launcher (Rawket Lawnchair)
Ammo: Incendiary

Twi- Twi (KIA) (3)
Top Stat: Reaction Time
Weapon: Rifle
Ammo: n/a

Harbin- Harbin
Top Stat: Firing Accuracy (Stamina)

Shuryou- Marchand (KIA)
Top Stat: Health
Weapon: Rocket Launcher
Ammo: Large Rockets

Aim- Fist (KIA)
Top Stat: Bravery
Weapon: Laser Pistol

Goroke- Gom (KIA)

Fera- Reverus
Ammo: [???]

I will be updating this thread about daily or so with news as it comes in.
Aim- Fist
Top Stat: Bravery
Ammo: ???
Goroke- Gom
Ammo: ?
Aurion - Runeknight
Weapon: Rocket Launcher
Ammo: ???