RP Quality and Bonuses

According to the rules, a player's roleplaying plays a role in the success of your actions. This bonus is calculated as a possible +/-25%. The remaining chance of your success is (or should be) dependent on the RNG and other discretionary factors (eg. if your target is too far away, you won't be able to hit them with certain melee attacks).

Whether or not the mod awards your character with a full +25% or chooses to punish you with the negative is up to them, but how do you know what they want? How can you know what's expected of you when our standards aren't standardized?

This is why I invite anyone and everyone, mods especially, to post several examples of RP ranging from what they think would deserve a full bonus to what would deserve the worst demerit. Feel free to provide an example every 5% (+25%, +20%, +15% ... -20%, -25%) or just the basic (+25%, +0%, -25%).

To make it easier, the action that you would have to describe is a navi (any name) using a Cannon on a Metool. Feel free to involve the Netop (also any name) and anything else you feel would be relevant. Feel free to make up any other details that you deem necessary for this exercise.
Didn't we already compile a bunch of posts showing very poor, poor, average, good, and very good RPing?

Quote (Lt._Grim_Reaper)

Didn't we already compile a bunch of posts showing very poor, poor, average, good, and very good RPing?

Yes, in the Mod Cave's "Rules List" thread.
All of the examples in the cave were picked out by one person and none of it is available to the public. The main point of this thread is
- to get a feel for what the standards for each mod are.
- to show everyone else what those standards are.

Mods don't explicitly tell you how well they think you're doing as success of battle results can differ greatly from perceived quality of RP.

I also don't want to quote the examples in the cave here because, again, it's only one person's opinion and it uses third party examples.
alright then, I guess I'll go first. Just gonna provide examples for every 10%, and tips for the extremes.
-25% RP Bonus:
If the post is in script format, a sin against the queen's english, and showing a complete lack of effort, then your Navi will likely have the performance attributes of wet paper. Adding a ton of useless fluff, or attempting to mod your own thread (like thinking the viruses will stand still as your navi takes 5 whole minutes to stand up) would likely warrant the worst bonus. Repeated blatant disrespect towards your mod would likely get you this rating as well.
As for deliberate rule breaking? The battle stops until you fix it, I won't even mod it.

-20% RP Bonus:
NaviMan: Alright, gotta vires!
Billy McNetOp: Chip slot go!
NaviMan: Shoooot!
NaviMan: Alright, I keeld it!

-10% RP Bonus:
NaviMan shot at the Met with his cannon.

0% RP Bonus:
"Billy, send me a cannon!"
Billy inserted the chip into his PET, and sent it to NaviMan.
[Chip uploaded!]
NaviMan then raised his buster which turned into a cannon, and fired it at the Metool

10% RP Bonus:
Faced with a Metool virus, NaviMan knew what weapon he needed to take the virus down.
Billy pulled the chip from his pocket, and inserted it into the yellow chip slot in his PET, downloading it to the Navi.
[Chip uploaded!]
NaviMan's right forearm began to transform from his standard bracer into a somewhat bulky cannon, not unlike the CannonDumb virus's weapon. He raised the cannon towards the virus and fired off a shot, hopefully sending a slug through its body and deleting it.

20% RP Bonus:
NaviMan's green eyes met the small, beady eyes of the Metool virus as it peered out from under its helmet, indicating it was vulnerable to attack. NaviMan needed to take advantage of this opportunity, and called out to his NetOp.

Billy nodded as he looked away from his PET and slid his hand into his pocket. He retrieved the chip, and he confirmed it was the right one before he pushed the chip into the PET with his thumb. The chip moved over the internal data reader inside the PET before being spat back out, indicating it was downloaded to his Navi.
[Chip uploaded!]

NaviMan raised his right arm and pointed his hand towards the squat helmeted virus ahead. He watched as the bracer around his forearm quickly fragmented into dozens of different pieces before they swirled around and began to move back into place. In a surprisingly elaborate process that took only a fraction of a second, his right forearm and hand transformed into a bulky green cannon, with a single round already loaded.

With his weapon prepared, NaviMan further refined his aim, hoping to send the round right between the Met's eyes. As soon as he found his target, he fired off the cannon with a loud *bang!* and a flash of light. His arm jerked from the recoil, and he only momentarily lost sight of his target from the initial shockwave and the small puff of smoke from the cannon's barrel. The cannon round streaked towards the target, glowing brightly from the heat of the blast as it made a beeline towards the Metool.

25% RP Bonus:
Max bonus would be awarded for posts similar to the 20% bonus example. The goal for those looking for this bonus is to make the action seem to come alive, where reading your post allows one to visualize what your Navi and NetOp are doing in a good amount of detail. Another way to help you get max bonus is to have a very well-described and easy to read post that makes me think "huh, I never thought of that," or "that's so crazy it just might work."
The example Grim has provided is a great list...but albeit, not something that every single mod follows. I just have to go ahead and say that "Length =/= Quality." Yes, being more descriptive with your navi/op's actions does make the post longer, but the players shouldn't solely strive to make the post long by adding junks that may barely affect the battle. For example, writing a Paragraph of what the operator is doing besides operating the battle.

Again, thats not to say that you're not allowed to write about your operator. In a way, you're building your own character in your own unique way with what they are doing, and some mods can appreciate the effort and may even give a bonus because of it.

I cannot go ahead and list off what posts qualify as a "+20%" and a "+19%," but I'll try listing some things that will affect how I view the post. A reminder, this my own personal view.

+ Imaginative, unique attacks against a well defended, or a situational enemy.
+ Well thought out actions besides "Spamming the highest number"
+ The described action feels "alive" and intriguing.
+ The post is fun and enjoyable to read, rather than a cut and paste, descriptive attack attack attack post.
+ Good use of the environment that the player is provided with (Actively hiding behind a Rockcube to hide and fend off attacks).
+ Colored character texts (+1% Bonus)

- Lazy posts that people think that it's "good enough," such as writing a sentence or little more to finish off one enemy.
- Repeated actions with no variation. (Constantly using the same chip over and over again through out each and every battle when there are obviously different options to attack.) I fall in this category here and there ._.
- Being out of character.
- Full out, almost irrational, attacks that fills up all their actions.
That one list you mentioned was chosen AFTER several people presented lists of various quality posts, ranking them how they see fit. I know because I was one of the people to submit a list. It's not worth doing again. If anything, we ought to just make that list viewable to the public, but we'd probably need permission from the people involved.

In fact, looking at it again, some of the ones on there are ones I submitted, lol. So it is indeed a compilation of several opinions, not just one person's.

Quote (Aim)

That one list you mentioned was chosen AFTER several people presented lists of various quality posts, ranking them how they see fit. I know because I was one of the people to submit a list. It's not worth doing again. If anything, we ought to just make that list viewable to the public, but we'd probably need permission from the people involved.

In fact, looking at it again, some of the ones on there are ones I submitted, lol. So it is indeed a compilation of several opinions, not just one person's.

As I mentioned before, we had already done this. IIRC, at least 6 of us provided inputs, then it was whittled down to a single manageable list. I think we could make this public as well, some of the users in this list no longer RP here, so it should be easy to get permission.

And going with Goroke, I also agree that length does not always = quality, but it has to have at least a certain level of detail to be considered a "good" RP post. However, one could ramble on and on with a very long, boring post, and that would be "poor" RPing. Gotta find a happy medium of detail and ease of reading.