Virus Chess!

Since the dawn of civilization, man has always feuded with one another over various prizes. Land, liberty, property, even for the affections of the opposite sex is these kinds of prizes. In the darkest of ages, there was the most widely practiced of game... Chess. That's right; the Global Network Administration has decided to work on a simulation of the grand tradition! The rules and the diagram for a game go as follows:

1. The ultimate aim in the game of chess is to win by trapping your opponent's king.
2. Green (As opposed to red) is always first to move and players take turns alternately moving one piece at a time. Movement is required and colors will be dealt out by a flip of a coin (or a Random Number Generator).
3. Each type of piece has its own method of movement (described in the following sections). A piece may be moved to another position or may capture an opponent's piece. This is done by landing on the appropriate square with the moving piece and removing the defending piece from play.
4. With the exception of the knight, a piece may not move over or through any of the other pieces.

Pieces: Thanks to the ever present push of progress and technology, we have devised to create copy versions of the viruses we generally see in the networks. Creating such a wonderful project, we decided to make voice activated chess versions of them as follows:

Pawns: Metools are the general look for them and there are eight of them situated on each side of the board. They are the least powerful piece on the chess board, but have the potential to become equal to the most powerful. Pawns cannot move backward or sideways, but must move straight ahead unless they are taking another piece. Generally pawns move only one square at a time. The exception is the first time a pawn is moved, it may move forward two squares as long as there are no obstructing pieces. A pawn cannot take a piece directly in front of him but only one at a forward angle. In the case of a capture the pawn replaces the captured piece and the captured piece is removed from play. If a Met can reach the opponent's edge, it will be promoted. The pawn may now become any piece that the moving player desires (except a king or pawn).

Rooks: The rook, shaped like a Cannondumb virus, is one of the more powerful pieces on the board. The rooks, grouped with the queen, are often thought of as the "major pieces". Rooks are worth a bishop or a knight plus two pawns. The rook can move any number of squares in a straight line along any column or row. They CANNOT move diagonally. The simplicity of the rook's movement is indeed what makes it powerful. It can cover a significant area of the board and there are no areas which an opponent's piece - moving one square at a time - can slip through.

Knights: The knight is the only piece on the board that may jump over other pieces. This gives it a degree of flexibility that makes it a powerful piece. It's shaped as a Fishy virus, and can be thought of as moving one square along any rank or file and then at an angle. In other words, an L shape.

Bishops: The bishop may move any number of squares in a diagonal direction until it is prevented from continuing by another piece; their shaped as a Scuttle virus.

Queen: The queen is, without doubt, the most powerful piece on the chessboard. She can move as many squares as she desires and in any direction (barring any obstructions). In the above diagram one can assume of her as a UFO... hula... dancer?

King: Though not the most powerful piece on the board, the king is the most vital, for once he is lost the game is lost. In some cases, people prefer to use their own bodies as the King piece or if they desire, a Lavagon virus. They can only move one space in any direction and capturing this is how one wins the game.

Special moves:

Castling: Castling is a special defensive maneuver. It is the only time in the game when more than one piece may be moved during a turn. It can only occur if there are no pieces standing between the king and the rook. Neither king nor rook may have moved from its original position. There can be no opposing piece that could possibly capture the king in his original square, the square he moves through or the square that he ends the turn. The king moves two squares toward the rook he intends to castle with (this may be either rook). The rook then moves to the square through which the king passed.

En Passant: It can only occur when a player exercises his option to move his pawn two squares on its initial movement. When this happens, the opposing player has the option to take the moved pawn "en passant" as if it had only moved one square. This option, though, only stays open for one move.
How to win: When a player's king is threatened by an opposing piece, it is said to be "in check". When a player places the opposing king in check he should announce, "check". The object of a player is not merely to place his opponent's king in check but to make certain that every square where the king has a possibility of movement is also covered. This is called checkmate. The king is considered captured.

Ties: Stalemate is considered a tie. A stalemate occurs when a player's only move is to place his own king in check, but its current square is not threatened. As long as he can move another piece or the king can move to an open square, stalemate may not occur. A draw also results when the only two pieces on the board are Kings, regardless of their position. If the pieces remaining on the board make check mate impossible, for example one cannot checkmate an opponent with only a king and a bishop a draw would also result.

EDIT: Special thanks to Grim for the efficient board.
Awesome. XD
I actually really like this idea as I enjoy chess as a stress reliever and playing online with you poptossers could be fun.
meh, it would be fun...for other people.
I said it yesterday, and I'll say it here today.

The virus that gives out LifeAura only qualifies as a bishop? FAILURE.

Quote (MagicCereal)

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it here today.

The virus that gives out LifeAura only qualifies as a bishop? FAILURE.

Well, yeah. The viruses could probably use some changing. I think Fishy would make better Rooks as they only really move in straight lines in the games.
If you wanna find other viruses that are easily recognizable and fit the Green vs. Red color scheme, be my guest.

*mumbles something about mouths and horses presented as gifts*
Satellites would make good bishops, I think.
...Oh Grim, you should know I'd take that as a challenge...

THIS POST SHALL BE EDITED WITH MY FINDINGS TOMORROW, OR WHENEVER I DECIDE TO BE NON-LAZY AND SERIOUSLY LOOK INTO THIS.