Netbattles and Chill

The metal Navi paused for a moment, steam venting from his joints. The fists that he had readied at his sides relaxed slightly, and his small eyes narrowed further. He looked back and forth between CourseMan and "RiptideMan", grunting loudly, and his shoulders hung down. Taking the towel off the back of his neck, he straightened up to his full height, draping it over his arm.

"Alright, sure. It's not like I have anything to do while I wait for this place to heat up proper. This godforsaken Sharo place is too damn cold for its own good, makes everything ache." At the mention of a hot spring, he rubbed his square jaw in thought. "A hot spring...? Oh! You mean like those heated water pools; no, can't say I'd be much of a fan of rusting any more than I've already got now. I'll stick to what I know," he said, scooping up some lava in his hands and letting it pour from between his fingers.

Curiously, the towels around his hips and on his arm didn't seem to be burning at all from contact with the molten earth. "Excessive... what? Artillery viruses? Those big turret ones that were here before? Mmm..." he said, looking up from playing with the lava pool to look around the place, presumably trying to find the now-sunken viruses.

Scratching at his temple, he shrugged. "Can't say I noticed if there were that many of them when I got here... These two I found here, yeah, but those got scrapped pretty quickly. I just came here to do what I wanted to do. If you want to look around, be my guest, s'not much here."

While CourseMan began setting up his insurance around the place, the giant retreated a little backwards to the edge of the gurgling pool of lava. It seemed like it was about to erupt a little, but he paid it no heed and reclined against the edge. Once the TimeBomb was set, however, he looked up suddenly, looking to his sides in puzzlement. He didn't seem to notice the bomb itself, though, as it silently set itself up along with the Dynamite trip line, he went back to addressing the two. "Any reason you two're following them viruses? Just out of some sorta civic duty, or someone payin' ya?"

-- Aging and Active --
ThermalMan.EXE: 500 HP (Lava)

-- Cool and Collected --
CourseMan.EXE: 100 HP (Normal) (Barrier: 40) (Casing: 10) (Shield: 2)
(Decoy: To CourseMan's right)
(Trap: Forked Streams)
(Counter: No Peeking)

-- Terrain --
40% Lava (Around ThermalMan)
60% Normal (Everywhere else)

-- Objects --
Dynamite1HP: 100
Properties: Light
Object Damage: 100 Null + Blast2
Damage Method: Throw, Knockback, Microburst, Telekinesis, Gust
Attack Damage: 100 Null + Blast2 + Line Attack + Seeking
Accuracy: D (thrown) / A (trigger)
Description: Sets a lightweight laser trip bomb. When something crosses the sensor beam, the bomb detonates a shaped charge that blasts an entire line. It can see through Invisibility. This weapon is very dangerous to use, caution is advised.
Duration: Until destroyed or until it attacks.
Element: Null
Special: Laser TAG: Attack triggers when something moves through the targeting laser beam, no matter who or what that may be.
Trader Rank: D
: 100 HP (Normal, across breach in wall)
TimeBomb1HP: 100
Properties: Anchored
Object Damage: 50 + Impact
Damage Method: Telekinesis
Attack Damage: 100 + To-All-Clause (Enemies)
Accuracy: S
Description: Places a bomb on the field that will explode after two turns, damaging all enemies.
Duration: 2 turns or until destroyed.
: 100 HP (Normal, slightly behind Dynamite1's trip line) (2 Turns Remaining)

Field Effect:
-- Volcanic Activity: At the start of each turn following the first, the volcanic crack will burst forth with Lava, increasing the area currently covered by Lava by 15%. Any non-Fire elementals caught in the vicinity take the same damage as standing in Lava for 1 action.
As they chatted and Courser sized up the scene, he sent a pulse of shadow to refresh his primary clone and keep it playing the part. It didn't sound like the navi was involved, but his first comments, Courser had to guess to an operator, had sounded like he had more purpose here than he was letting on. He let himself skate across to one side, absently examining the damaged outer fence while 'Courser' took over the conversation.

“Aye, well, we'd love to call ourselves good samaritans, sure, but really? The bounty on 'em's pretty nice. Unusual over-population in the area, so it goes, and there's a pretty decent Zenny reward for culling 'em, once you've hook up a contract before hand, if you follow.” He shrugged and winked at the reclining lava navi, gliding up the the edge of the pool, though of course, the clone didn't deign to dip a toe in.

“Got to say though... this place is looking pretty wrecked up... supposed to be a research and testing facility, or something like that... Now me, I'd never trespass on a private lot like this normally, but Riptide over there...” The decoy nodded his head back behind him. “My mate's a treasure-hunter first and foremost, and a badly damaged research place seemed pretty sweet for finding valuables, so we though.”

While the clone was chatting, Courser crouched down by the fence and beckoned with one finger. A small well of shadow formed close by him, until it became a narrow hole in the ice and snow. Dark waters rose from it an coalesced into the shape of a hard-hatted mole with a shovel over one shoulder. It had a slim armband with Courser's emblem on it, secured around its shovel arm.

“Right, little guy...” He spoke, loud enough for the other navi to hear, but clearly in a quiet tone mostly directed at the new summon. “Place is a bit ruined – watch out for the lava, and be careful of the gentleman over there too... but see if you can't find us some treasure, okay?” The mole gave a lazy, undisciplined salute and ducked back under the ground for now. Courser, as 'Riptide', stood straight again and looked around the area as the thermal activity seemed to be making more lava patches the longer the situation continued. He made efforts to avoid any of the newly forming patches with light footwork.

“Say, friend... Sharo really does seem like a pretty ill-suited network for a gentleman like you. I can't imagine you'd come up here just because you felt like it, and then complain about it... or, if I'm honest... bust up some poor sod's facility just for a hot bath... What brings you up here to do something like that, really?” Closer to the other navi, the one calling itself Courser grinned and stretched, hands behind his head as the appearance of softly swirling waters circled around him in lazy patterns.

“Aye... what d'you know that we don't, mate? Something... lucrative?” The clone arched an eyebrow with a smirk. The real Courser winced slightly as he peeked at one of the newly opened pyroclastic flows in the area, shielding himself from the heat with one hand; the misting water field around his arm shored itself up as the heat seemed to make his hand glow a redish-orange hue for a moment or two before he pulled back from it.

“Hey, Courser! This place sounds like it's getting more and more unstable. We probably don't have long to search it!” His voice was clear but casual; neither he nor his decoy sounded worried by this prospect, so much as noting the danger and moving on with the conversation. Back in the middle of the enclosed area, behind the laser trip line, the black mine clicked its dial over as the red number dropped from two to one.

-=Summary=-

C*) Shadow: Moving towards ThermalMan, still cautious but acting more relaxed now, and chatting.
C1) Dodge (ducking the spotlight in favour of letting his decoy lead conversation)
C*) 'Forked Streams' and 'No Peeking' decoys intended behaviours as before, if triggered
C2) MomograHP: 60
Damage: 15 + Backstab
Accuracy: B
Description: Creats a Momogra virus to aid you. Attacks with a shovel from behind, and has a constant Mole status that ignores terrain solidness when not attacking (unless the panel currently does not exist). Still affected by other effects of panels.
Special: Allied Virus: This virus has two actions per turn, and is fully controllable by the summoner. If no orders are given, it will perform actions at random, but will never intentionally interfere with or damage the summoner or their allies. Deleting this virus will grant no additional rewards to either side.
Trader Rank: C
(no tangible combat orders yet, aside from 'look for treasure' – just to be ready)
C3) Dodge
C4) Stall for time and hopefully more information.
C5) Fire+30Status: Fire Element UP 30, Stackable
Description: Adds 30 Damage to all hits of a Fire Element attack chip, before any external environment-related or target-related damage modifiers apply.
Duration: Once
Element: Fire

C*) Fast Barrier: (40Hp Barrier)
C6) Dodge and Stall
"Hmm... Sounds like some good money. You think if I turned in these two I melted down I'd get some of the pay?" said ThermalMan. As he talked, the lava erupted with the sound of a bubble bursting, causing him to flinch slightly and shield his face from the lava. He was, however, otherwise unharmed. "Courser" and "Riptide" managed to keep their distance from the eruption as well, though the area was starting to heat up more now. Over on the other end of the lava pool, ThermalMan lumbered over to the spot where one of the Bashers used to be. Leaning over, he sank his hands into the lava, and grunted slightly as he wrenched out a heavily mangled pile of iron from the bottom of the pool.

"Even if they didn't accept this pile of junk, I'd bet I could make some kind of art piece from these!" he joked, laughing heartily with his deep voice. The mass of metal in his hands ended up next to the pool, just as "Courser" started asking him of his presence in the area. ThermalMan looked back over his shoulder, and shrugged. "Can't say I know anything about that. Got no clue what this place is for. Whatever my operator's got in mind, though, he clearly doesn't want this place around. Didn't take long, either, didn't have anyone around except for--" he grunted briefly, yanking the other melted Basher out of the pool, "--these two." The destroyed virus's remains made a loud clank as it landed next to its fallen comrade.

"Definitely made for a nice surprise to find this little patch'a home nestled in this awful frostbite of a network, though! Gave it a little push and this whole sector should be getting real warm in a bit. Been ages since I got to swim in a flow!" he said, beaming cheerfully. "You two can come along, too, if ya got what it takes! Hahaha!" As the TimeBomb's timer ticked down again, ThermalMan visibly twitched in place, and looked around once more, with suspicion on his face. Looking over at "Riptide", he eyed the Momogra suspiciously for a moment. However, with how it didn't seem hostile, ThermalMan shook his head, and looked back behind him, where the TimeBomb and Dynamite rested.

"Did I miss any viruses in there...?" he wondered aloud.

-- Aging and Active --
ThermalMan.EXE: 500 HP (Lava)

-- Cool and Collected --
CourseMan.EXE: 100 HP (Normal) (Barrier: 40) (Casing: 10) (Shield: 2) ( Fire+30Status: Fire Element UP 30, Stackable
Description: Adds 30 Damage to all hits of a Fire Element attack chip, before any external environment-related or target-related damage modifiers apply.
: Active)
(Decoy: Near ThermalMan)
(Trap: Forked Streams)

MomograHP: 60
Description: Creats a Momogra virus to aid you. Attacks with a shovel from behind, and has a constant Mole status that ignores terrain solidness when not attacking (unless the panel currently does not exist). Still affected by other effects of panels.
Special: Allied Virus: This virus has two actions per turn, and is fully controllable by the summoner. If no orders are given, it will perform actions at random, but will never intentionally interfere with or damage the summoner or their allies. Deleting this virus will grant no additional rewards to either side.
: 60 HP (Normal, next to CourseMan)

-- Terrain --
55% Lava (Around ThermalMan)
45% Normal (Everywhere else)

-- Objects --
Description: Sets a lightweight laser trip bomb. When something crosses the sensor beam, the bomb detonates a shaped charge that blasts an entire line. It can see through Invisibility. This weapon is very dangerous to use, caution is advised.
Special: Laser TAG: Attack triggers when something moves through the targeting laser beam, no matter who or what that may be.
: 100 HP (Normal, across breach in wall)
Description: Places a bomb on the field that will explode after two turns, damaging all enemies.
: 100 HP (Normal, slightly behind Dynamite1's trip line) (1 Turn Remaining)

Field Effect:
-- Volcanic Activity: At the start of each turn following the first, the volcanic crack will burst forth with Lava, increasing the area currently covered by Lava by 15%. Any non-Fire elementals caught in the vicinity take the same damage as standing in Lava for 1 action.
Despite the increasing instability of the area, courser and his duplicates had a role to keep up. A nervous message from Jenny was quietly put on hold for now; she was in the same mindset as he was, at least. Whatever this navi and his operator were up to, it was clearly in the 'no good' category, even if it wasn't related to Sharo's current Basher problem. He sent another pulse of shadow to maintain his primary decoy, who in turn skipped back from the increasing lava and grinned at ThermalMan with a shrug.

“You may do... Mimimum turn in on the bounties was just two, I think. The wrangle bot gets a bit shirty about the contracts, but I reckon you'd be able to talk 'im around if you brought the proof.” The clone looked back towards the entrance way as further unusual sound made their way through.

“If you missed any, our scout'll let us know in a jiffy.” He turned his head, standing upright and twisting to look back at 'Riptide' “Oi, Rip, what's the word?”

Courser waved a hand at him, wandering a few steps closer as he avoided the increasing spread of lava from within the compound. After a second or two, he crouched again, and the mole virus popped back to the surface near his feet. It chittered at him, waving its paws and gesturing with its shovel in a rapid, almost panicked manner.

“Okay, okay, hush, come on... Cool it, what did you see?” A few more viral sounds escaped, before the navi waved a hand over the virus, causing a thin, misty spray to fall about it and, apparently, soothe it. “Just show me.” The mist hanging around the virus took shapes, forming small shadowy replicas of several needler viruses, with a large, spiky object sitting on top of one. As the mist covering settled back into a blanketing shroud, the mole virus chattered away more, then ducked back under the ground. As this exchange happened, Courser was focused on two places, casting his eye between the mole, and the breached entry way into the structure. While the miniature shadow forms unfolded, a similar situation drew itself from the shadows, on the inside as well. A needle turret lifted itself from the dangerous terrain beneath the ticking mine, hoisting it up like a display piece. Its main gun rotated forward towards the breach, ready to shoot at the lava-bathing navi if he came into sight.

Courser, as 'Riptide' shook his head and stood again, turning to face his decoy and ThermalMan – he was careful to to look at himself in the process, though it was easy enough to manage, with the decoy looking towards the breach, and courser himself focusing mostly on the other navi.

“Sounds like there's a machine or two – automated defences or something – still kicking about, but the little guy was most worried about some kind of fail safe. Emergency cryo blast or something. He doesn't read too well, but it sounds like it's going to do something big, and soon. About a minute or so.”

“Hey! If that thing freezes the whole mountain top there won't be anything left to nick!” 'Courser' called out in response, standing to wave an aggravated arm at his colleague. 'Riptide' glared back at him and CourseMan had to fight off a headspin of dizziness for a few seconds.

“You're the one who knows tech! Get in there and disarm it!”
“That place is full of lava now! I'm not going in there alone with it like that!”
“It didn't look sturdy, just....” Courser glanced towards ThermalMan. “Oi, mate... you like smashing things? Want to help Courser before we're all popsicled?” The decoy sighed with an exaggerated exasperation as 'Riptide' made the appeal. It also glanced at ThermalMan and shrugged, then moved towards the breach with quick steps.

“Right, fine, come on then. Eyes out for the turrets, find the bomb and break it. I'll be just ahead of you, bearing left once we're in, alright? Don't worry if you can't see me, I'll be invisible, but I'll stay out of your way. Let's go!”

As the decoy stepped up to the breach, it made a gesture with one hand, drawing a waving shimmer over its body as it dissolved into shadows. The remaining Courser lifted a hand and waved it towards ThermalMan and the breach, causing the small mole to lift its head out of the ground again.

“Go with them, show them was you saw. I'll keep an eye out from here.” The summon nodded, albeit nervously, and gave a small salute before burrowing over to stay near ThermalMan.

Courser's hope was that the fast pace and his own friendly attitude would be enough to sell the need for action. The other navi seemed to enjoy smashing things in general, and probably wouldn't like the sound of his new volcano getting frozen, or so he hoped. The needler was poised to begin firing at him as soon as he stepped into the breach, and if he crossed the line, either to go for it, or the time bomb itself, the hidden trip laser was waiting. Either way, however, there was only a second or two more to go.

Within moments, what would hopefully be a pair of ground-shaking explosions shook the mountain top – if he'd made his play well, the shaped charge across the breach way and the time bomb would be detonating at almost the same time. If it was a little off, well, no-one was perfect, after all. The momogra gave a startled jump, feigning panic as it lashed out suddenly with its shovel to strike the nearest dangerous thing - ThermalMan, - while the explosions rattled the scene. Courser took a small side step and let his body turn side on to the breach as her drew the heavy bore silver-worked revolver from his belt and squared it at what was, hopefully, ThermalMan's back, then pulled, adding his own cacophanous boom to the fireworks.

“Sorry, friend. Civic duty, and all that...” He let the gun recoil, spinning it over and around his fingers before sliding it back into his belt, while his other hand swept up in a side-swiping motion. From the shadows in the breach, a mass rose and formed into an all-covering wall of freezing water that he attempted to batter the navi with from the opposite angle. “For what it's worth, one of the other 'me's thinks you seem nice.” As the icy wash subsided, Courser let his wave whips uncoil and held his defences forward, just in case the other navi weathered the chain reaction of surprises. No sense getting careless, after all – he was still ready at any moment to dive, split away, and keep up the assault, if needed.

-=Summary=-

C*) Shadow: Stays close to ThermalMan and chats; feigns surprise and relays information to him when appropriate.
C*) 'Forked Streams' and 'No Peeking' decoys intended behaviours as before, if triggered
C1) Talk to Momogra
C*) Fast Barrier: (40Hp Barrier, on Momogra)
C2) Needler2HP: 80
Properties: Normal, Mobile
Object Damage: 80 Null + Impact + Break
Damage Method: Ramming attack, Telekinesis, Throw
Attack Damage: 40 Null x 2 hits x 3 Targets
Accuracy: A
Description: Summons a gun platform that attacks up to 3 separate targets each turn with its trio of double spike cannons. It can also perform a defense piercing kamikaze attack.
Duration: Until destroyed.
Special: This chip's accuracy cannot be boosted or reduced by any means, including RP quality.
- This object may ram a target instead of firing needles, but is instantly destroyed in exchange.
- This object may dodge by trying to ram nothing, but if it hits something in this way, it is still destroyed and deals object damage.
(Summoned underneath TimeBomb, lifting it up, holding fire)
C3) Dodge (as much to avoid lava pools as anything else)
C4) Any required movement for the rp descriptions (else, more dodge)
C*) Needler will fire at ThermalMan when it has a shot at him in the entrance breach, other shots at anything else that seems hostile (40null, x2 Hits, x3 Targets, A)
C*) TimeBomb Detonates
C*) Momogra 'panics' and attempts to backstab ThermalMan (15, Backstab, B)
C5) Magnum1Damage: 120 + Break + Panel Break x 3 Targets
Description: A triple barreled gun that blasts through defenses and terrain alike. Rare
(150Fire, Break, Panel Break, x3 Targets, A) (ThermalMan, anything else that seems threatening)
C6) IceWave2Damage: 100 + Freeze
Description: Sends a wave of ice at one enemy
Element: Aqua
Special: Ice Type: This chip counts as Ice Type for the purposes of potentially freezing targets on Aqua Element Terrain or environments, as applicable.
(120Aqua, Freeze, A), (ThermalMan)
Scratching his metal head, ThermalMan grunted to himself in contemplation. With the reassurance from "CourseMan", the giant eyed the Navi with a sideways glance, and rolled his shoulders with a murmur. "Mmm, you're right. Screw it, if there's anything in there, I'll deal with it if it comes out. Probably drowning in the fire anyway," he mused. As he spoke, the volcanic pool gurgled with more activity, and began overflowing further outwards.

As usual, ThermalMan only shielded himself from being splashed in the face rather than avoiding any kind of damage. While "Courser" was able to keep his distance, it was definitely getting more difficult to keep close to ThermalMan. The iron giant was now a little closer to the center of the lava pool rather than at its edge, thanks to the volcanic activity causing its expansion. "Little fella found something?" ThermalMan called out to "Riptide". Once he reported his findings, ThermalMan lumbered up into a standing pose.

"Aaaah... I'd just gotten to relax, really. What a bother. Turrets, right? Should be fine if I suit up," he said. Lifting his fists, he punched them together, causing hefty brown metal plates to materialize in the air and fall onto his body, folding themselves around his trunk and limbs with a few noisy clanks. Afterwards, he raised his hand to his head. His expression hardened for a moment, and he gestured silently with his head to nobody in particular, before lowering his hand again.

"Okay, let's go," said ThermalMan, moving up to the breach. As CourseMan had hoped for, the huge Navi seemed to have taken the bait somewhat, as he stepped through the breach cautiously. With a bit of hesitation, ThermalMan crossed the trip laser for the Dynamite, and it beeped briefly, causing him to instinctively jump slightly backwards. "Wh--" he blurted out, before the explosion tore open the ground in front of him in a show of pyrotechnics, leaving him unharmed save for perhaps a little ear ringing.

However, there was yet more to come. The loud sound and copious smoke from the Dynamite charge masked the subsequent sound of a barrage of needles from the smoke. As expected, however, ThermalMan's armor deflected one of the shots, while the other whizzed over his shoulder thanks to his earlier evasive action. "Eager, aren't ya!" he exclaimed, as he raised his arm and pointed it forward, his palm rapidly opening up into the barrel of a cannon. A floating green visor appeared in front of his face, looking poised to relay some targeting data to him.

"?! There's something under the turret?!"

Before he could discern the second target under his original one, the "something" exploded spectacularly, this time in a particularly devastating manner. Shrapnel flew out and shredded through ThermalMan's armor in moments, though it still managed to protect him from any actual damage while he retaliated with a shot back at the Needler. The giant's cannon shot landed, destroying the Needler in one go. Before he could celebrate his accurate marksmanship, though, a sudden smack clanged against his metal body, causing him to turn around in surprise--the "little fella" he had called out about before had snuck in a hit on him!

Before ThermalMan himself could react, a wooden pillar shot out of the ground in front of him, spinning the telltale three faces of a Totem chip towards "Riptide". However, as it spat out its plume of fire from its mouth, it was received with a quickshot of two pulses of water from the trickster's hands, while he retrieved his trusty revolver from his belt. The Magnum tore through the Totem's wooden body with ease, and ThermalMan along with it. With holes torn in both of his targets, the Totem disintegrated in blazes, while ThermalMan staggered to a standing position with a cry of indignant pain.

"Arrrrrgh! Should've known!" he roared, trying to dash forward, only to be greeted by the wall of freezing water that had suddenly come up from behind him. The burst of ice snaked through his metal arms as he roared in pain once more. "Give me the big gun!" he bellowed out, clearly enraged enough to not care about keeping operator communications private. As he said so, ThermalMan's rusty exterior began to click and snap, as his joints fused together and forced his whole body to become rigid in a position that kept him pointing forward with both arms. At the same time, his feet spat out some treads to move around with, and his eyes were covered with a large faceplate.

The cannon barrel that was on one of his arms was now much larger, with its barrel count now suddenly tripled in a triangle, in a configuration that would look very familiar to CourseMan. The cannon fired thrice at both of the "CourseMan" figures, as well as the Momogra. The real one managed to swerve out of the way easily, while the decoy and Momogra suffered the powerful Magnum shell head-on. Thankfully for the Momogra, it was protected by the barrier that CourseMan had the foresight to bestow on it earlier, while the decoy simply phased out. After the shot, the barrel froze over. "Ugh, really!? Cheeky bastard!" he cursed.

-- Aging and Active --
ThermalMan.EXE: 95 HP (Normal, next to Lava pool) (SteelBody: 1 Turn) (Frozen: 1 Turn) (Casing: 0)

Totem1HP: 100
Properties: Anchored, Element Shift
Object Damage: 100 + Impact
Attack Damage: 100 Fire + Line Attack (3) / Healing 50
Accuracy: A / S
Description: Summons a Totem to breath fire and heal you. Attacks once per turn, and switches faces when hit.
Duration: 3 turns, or until destroyed.
Element: Fire / Wood
Special: Element Shift: This Object alternates between Fire element when Attacking and Wood element when Healing.
: DESTROYED

-- Cool and Collected --
(Decoy (Forked Streams): HIT)
(Trap: Forked Streams: TRIGGERED)

: 60 HP (Normal, next to CourseMan) (Barrier: 0)

-- Terrain --
70% Lava (Around ThermalMan)
30% Normal (Everywhere else)

-- Objects --
Needler2HP: 80
Description: Summons a gun platform that attacks up to 3 separate targets each turn with its trio of double spike cannons. It can also perform a defense piercing kamikaze attack.
Special: This chip's accuracy cannot be boosted or reduced by any means, including RP quality.
- This object may ram a target instead of firing needles, but is instantly destroyed in exchange.
- This object may dodge by trying to ram nothing, but if it hits something in this way, it is still destroyed and deals object damage.
: EXPLODED
: EXPLODED

Field Effect:
As the smoke and debris settled, Courser found himself having to dart away from return fire anyway; a combination of a little poor luck and possibly playing his part too well. He flashes a grin for his dance partner and shrugged, hands wide to the side as his wave-whips lashed back and forth with the gesture.

“Hey, don't take it to heart, big guy. We've all got to do what we do, right? Here, have one on the house.” He winked and as he did, one of his whips curled up, creating a dense seed of water in its base, before flicking outward and launching the high-pressure bead out across the space between them. It flew direct and fast, but was a casual flick of the wrist even so; it might hit the seemingly immobile tank-man directly, but chances were just as good it would strike down next to him instead; either way, the bead of water was primed to explode into a freshly formed pool of chilled, clean water, large enough to hopefully sink the other navi.

As the pool formed, regardless of its eventual size, a mire of liquid shadows coalesced by the edge, and another image of Courser faded back into sight, crouching down resting forearms on his knees and still grinning. He looked towards ThermalMan and gave a small salute with a pair of fingers just above his eyebrows.

“Don't panic, mate. Boss man might have lost his marbles, but I said I'd stick by you, didn't I? Look, here's the trick... Look at the boss over there. See the way he splits himself up, right? Well, the trick is to be quick. When you go for 'im, he'll split, but here's the thing – boss always tends to dive to his left, see, and send his dupe to the right. That's how you nail him.” The decoy avoided looking directly across at the other Courser, but nodded his head in the right direction all the same. “Oi! And watch out for—”

The shorter shout was cut off as the jittery momogra popped up again on the opposite side, attempting to clang ThermalMan with its shovel; it seemed unlikely that its weapon would have any impact on the heavily armoured navi, but it did its best all the same.

Courser, while this was going on, kept his shield ready, but braced himself for the trickier defence move in his kit; if he was lucky, the big guy would stay wet and frozen and not give him any further trouble, but he wasn't about to rely on that alone. Just in case, he readied another deception: if ThermalMan got himself free of his predicament and decided that he was, in fact, the real Courser, rather than the one crouching by him and giving a pep talk, the attack would meet only mist and vapour, looking for all the world like another dispersed clone while courser himself warped back behind his assailant, ready to deliver a sharp countermeasure. He opted to leave his secondary duplicate behind, for this one – if it triggered, the new decoy would fade back into place, after the attack passed, reappearing exactly where the original had been standing before. It was a disorienting move, all told, but he was gradually getting used to the double switch, and the practice was important.

Whether ThermalMan had managed to push through Courser's various other defences or not, the navi didn't let his grin falter as the wave whip that had first flicked the seed now drew itself in around his hand more tightly, freezing itself into a solid, jagged gauntlet grip instead.

“You know...” He spoke just loud enough to hear and no louder, the teeth of his grin growing more visible “I'm really not the one you should be watching, friend...” In a moment his form flashed forward, long coat flaring as an eddy of water lifted his steps and carried him up and over his opponent in a roll that twisted his body and let him slam his frozen arm down at the top of the other navi's head; unless the iron giant's armour had failed it already, the blow wasn't likely to do any real harm, but it carried with it a pulse wave that Courser hoped would be enough to slam his heavy metal body down to the bottom of the newly formed pool of water, and begin freezing it over in the process.

He landed, letting the current of water beneath his feet turn him about in a small curve and keep him facing the other navi. The motion absorbed his momentum and he kicked forward again, aiming to make a second follow-up before his opponent had much chance to recover. As he darted back in, he turned his shoulder, spinning his back to ThermalMan's pool just long enough to put fresh momentum behind the swing that involved both hands this time; rather than another icy punch, he came around this time bearing a large, long block-buster mallet with an only slightly tapered steel head; if the first strike hadn't planted ThermalMan firmly on the bottom of the pool, the amount of force behind this one certainly might.

Courser released the hammer after the swing, instead skating in one swift motion around the edge of the now frozen and possibly re-shattered pool he'd made, lifting one hand as he did. The gesture was followed by a cracking, tearing sound, as remnants of whatever ice and water lingered tore themselves up and dumped themselves back over at ThermalMan with renewed violence, while a cloud of mist wrapped itself about Courser himself and refreshed his outermost layer of protection.

“Or maybe I am... honestly, it's hard for me to tell sometimes...” Courser let himself skate further around the circle, trying to stick to the edge of water and ice and avoid the irksome lava pools. Any of his remaining clones only glanced at each other, not quite making direct eye contact, and shrugged.

-=Summary=-

C1) SeaSeedDamage: 10 + Small Sea Terrain Change / Medium Sea Terrain Change
Description: Lob a seed that create a medium Sea area. Only a small area if it hits an opponent.
Special: Creates Onsen terrain instead of Sea if used in YokaNet.
Trader Rank: E
10Aqua + Small Sea Terrain Change, A (Medium change if it misses him/he dodges)
C*) Shadow: Giving a pep talk?
C2) Mist and Shadow: Trap(Incoming Attack against CourseMan): Multi-Stage: First (Teleport + Decoy(1 round)), Then ((Aqua)LifeDrain 10, Shot-Type), Then (Self-Slow)
C*) Momogra backstab ThermalMan (15, Backstab, B)
C3) ColdPunchDamage: 70 + Impact + Knockback
Description: Creates a large icy fist for the user to punch with. Anything it hits is knocked back a sizable distance, even objects.
Duration: Until Overridden/Broken. Breaks after 6 swings.
Special: Ice Type: This chip counts as Ice Type for the purposes of potentially freezing targets on Aqua Element Terrain or environments, as applicable.
70Aqua, Impact, Knockback, B (Attempting to submerge and freeze)
C4) Take Aim
C5) BigHammer1Damage: 160 + Impact + Break
Description: Summons a giant metal hammer to utterly crush one enemy that stands before you.
160, Impact, Break, Impact, A
C*) Fast Barrier: (40Hp Barrier)
C6) PanelShotDamage: 100 + Small Broken Terrain Change + Terrain Effect Bonus
Description: Rips up 1 panel and sends it flying at the designated target.
Element: Depends on Terrain
Special: Terrain Effect Bonus: Adds an additional effect to an attack where applicable, depending on the type of terrain used.
100Aqua, Small Broken, Freeze (if I can get ice), B
"Dammit... I can't ignite anything!"

Clouds of steam hissed from ThermalMan's body, along with a low whining sound. His face became increasingly redder, warped by the heat mirage wafting up from the lava going up around his legs, up to his midsection. However, the heat didn't seem to be affecting the rapidly spreading frost on his cannon arms. As if to mock his current situation, Courser flicked out a SeaSeed towards the rusty Navi, splashing against his legs. Immediately, the lava underneath ThermalMan erupted in a burst of steam, covering him in scalding water. The lava around his feet was replaced with a small pocket of warm water. From the howl that escaped his lips, it didn't sound like he was enjoying it very much, being a Fire elemental.

The armor plating that had broken after protecting him a moment ago reappeared around his person, immediately latching around him yet again. At that point, the decoy that Courser sent out to poke fun at ThermalMan appeared next to him, while his tank treads began revving up, backing out of the pool of water towards the now very small bit of land that still remained unmolested by either lava or water. The safe haven that had been the molten rock was now not a very safe place for him at all, and his heavy body reconfiguring itself to weather blows didn't seem to work as well against CourseMan's methods.

Still, it wasn't like ThermalMan was going to go down without a fight, starting to move erratically from side to side on the tiny outcropping of land that he still had. As such, he managed to avoid the Momogra's jittery shovel slap with a bit of luck, and the icy gauntlet that CourseMan equipped moments later to follow it up also hit nothing but air. "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" he could hear ThermalMan desperately repeat, heavily breathing in between words. Unfortunately, Lady Luck wasn't there to grant him a hat trick, and ThermalMan saw the raw end of CourseMan's strongest attack thus far crashing into his arm.

The armor immediately cracked and gave way, and ThermalMan's steeled defense didn't hold against the stalwart steel of Courser's mallet, leaving the golem Navi with the tiniest protection offered by the Undershirt program. Colorful curses escaped his broken mouth, as ThermalMan's locked-up joints finally gave way, leaving him vulnerable to the last attack Courser threw his way. The chunk of water crashed against him with impunity, breaking through his last bit of resistance and triggering the Emergency Jack-Out in a beam of light.

-- Aging and Active --
ThermalMan.EXE: EJO'd

Totem1HP: 100
Properties: Anchored, Element Shift
Object Damage: 100 + Impact
Attack Damage: 100 Fire + Line Attack (3) / Healing 50
Accuracy: A / S
Description: Summons a Totem to breath fire and heal you. Attacks once per turn, and switches faces when hit.
Duration: 3 turns, or until destroyed.
Element: Fire / Wood
Special: Element Shift: This Object alternates between Fire element when Attacking and Wood element when Healing.

-- Cool and Collected --
(Trap: Mist and Shadow)

: 60 HP (Normal, next to CourseMan)

-- Terrain --
15% Sea
  • Fire Elementals lose 10 HP/action standing, 20 HP/action submerged. Other Non-Aqua Elementals lose 5 HP/action submerged. Nullified for Aqua Elementals.
  • Ice attacks: 50% Freeze1 chance, Changes terrain hit to Ice.
  • Terrain changes between Sea and Onsen do not inflict damage upon submerged entities, nor do they eject submerged entities to the surface.
  • Elec attacks: +100% Source Damage.
  • PanelShot: Imbue Aqua.
(Small bit at the edge of lava)
15% Normal
  • No effects.
(Very thin bit around the lava)
70% Lava
  • Non-Fire Elementals lose 5 HP/action standing, 10 HP/action submerged. Doubled for Wood Elementals, nullified for Fire Elementals.
  • Aqua attacks: Panel explodes, +100% Source Aqua Damage, change terrain hit to Normal.
  • PanelShot: Imbue Fire.
(Everywhere else)

Field Effect:

-- Battle 10, Victory!! --
Rewards: 4500z, [GolemHit1] Battlechip

---

Even with the immediate culprit out of the way, however, the volcanic spread didn't seem to be stopping. The lava continued to gurgle, and the wire fencing around the area had already succumbed to it, dripping over the sheer drop that it bordered. It seemed like ThermalMan's vision of a warmer Sharo sector was going to come to fruition after all, despite not being present for it!
As the last crash of water and ice sent the other navi on his way, Courser let himself relax just enough to look around the area with a clearer eye. His drifting surf took him to the centre of the small pool of water that had been created while he listened with half an ear to Jenny cheering gleefully across their connection. Courser's own grin had dropped away once the golem-navi was gone, however, and as he scanned it became clear that whatever had been started wasn't stopping right away.

“Oh, hey! It's another chip, but it can't go in with the other preset images... What do I...? Oh! I've got it. So... Right, I'm swapping the second image of that electric one with this new one, that okay?” Courser nodded absently, before responding with affirmative words instead. Across the way, one of his decoys was peering into the breached inner shell of the facility, and neither of them were much liking what they were seeing.

“You know, maybe setting off a whole bunch of explosives wasn't the greatest plan there, boss... doesn't look like it helped much.” CourseMan felt himself grimace. He called back a fresh wash of cool water and spread it out ahead overlaying the emerging magma as he surfed across to the entrance; altering the terrain was okay in a pinch, but it wasn't his strong point, and it probably wouldn't do more than slow what was happening down. He let his clone peer further in, looking for something convenient, while he scanned the outer courtyard without much hope.

“Jen, you might want to make a quick post on one of the network exploration boards for Sharo. Not sure who you should—” A call cut off his words as his second decoy shouted out, crouching low to the remnants of one of the gate signs.

“Oi! Contact details here! Says enquiries, but this'll count for that I reckon.” Courser nodded and forwarded them through to Jenny in response.

“Anyway... it's slowed down a bit, but I don't think it's stopping, and I can't see anything else we can do here. Time to head on before the road gets impassable. Got everything, you two?” One of the decoys nodded and shrugged, giving the interior one last look before dissolving into shadows, but the other dithered near the entry way as Courser made for the path down.

“Aye... What about these then? Bit weird, isn't it?” The clone kicked at one of the mangled wreckage of the two Basher turrets that ThermalMan had trounced and lava-bathed earlier. Courser looked back with a fresh frown touching his lips. It was a bit odd, he had to admit. The two hulks had been blasted into inertia, and then dropped in the lava, but ThermalMan had fished them out again afterwards, and they were still intact enough to be identified, even then. Despite the gurgling of the magma and the dangerous-feeling ground tremors, Courser kicked back and let the water eddy glide him back to stand by his decoy.

“What's wrong?” Jenny sounded curious as well, though there was a note of distraction in her voice; she was probably filling out an email to the facility owners. Courser uncurled a wave whip from one hand and massed a current along its length as he looked at the two wrecks.

“Nothing, just... Well normally, Jen, you've seen it... when navis like me take care of a virus, it disintegrates more or less right away. without an active core, the code doesn't hold itself together. Strange that these two haven't. Might be they were converted installations powered by the facility, perhaps? I don't know... but... they still register as being originally Basher virus types, whatever changes were made to them... so...” With a glance to either side, Courser unleashed a series of quick razor-edged whip cracks across the bodies of the two wrecked turrets, the rushing water slicing metal with each pass. It took several harsh cuts, but eventually the two were sliced into small enough pieces that they began to dissolve properly... or at least, most of them did.” Courser shrugged.

“Umm... If they were, like, converted or something, then isn't that just damaging someone else's property?” Jenny sounded uncertain about her navi's off-handed decision, but Courser grinned and turned his back, making quickly for the path down again.

“Not sure what you mean, Jen...” He hummed to himself as he made a mental addition “That ThermalMan navi broke his way in here and trashed all of their defences, after all. We got here long after that happened.” Jenny was silent for a few moments before she spoke up again. When she did, her voice sounded more amused than her apparently scolding words.

“This is for that wrangler prog, isn't it? You're terrible.” Courser ginned and let himself enough a short laugh before responding. As he did one of his clones dashed ahead, scouting the path down and making sure it was clear while he turned and looked back at the facility from further back.

“No, I'm a man of fate and fortune, always willing to risk my life to seize upon exciting opportunities!”
“An' look, he's not even trying to get into anyone's pants when he's sayin' it this time!” A second Courser slipping out of the murky waters alongside him received a sharp look for its trouble, before Courser waved a hand and dismissed it. He heard Jenny sigh, though it was good-natured and he grinned back, ducking his head as he continued.

“Anyway, I've sent an email about what we found there. The PET converted quite a lot of data that time, there's a lot here from just one fight... but I do kinda feel a bit bad about it. He thought you were being friendly and then you just trounced him like that.” Courser only shrugged again as he made his way back down the mountain and began searching for an alternate route forward through the network.

“Maybe, Jen, maybe... but in my defence, he was also trying to create a new volcano in the Sharo network by destroying someone else's research and testing facility... He wasn't exactly being a nice guy, no matter how friendly he seemed.” Jenny relented and he heard her order a hot drink and something that sounded like a pastry of some sort, rather than push the issue. Courser opted to do the same and turned his eyes forward as his gliding pace took him in search of further tests.

((Ready for Battle 11))
Having taken care of the immediate threat that was ThermalMan, there was still the issue of the gurgling pool of lava. Subtle tremors started to rumble under Courser's feet; the whole deal seemed ready to blow over into a full volcanic eruption at any time. The water that he produced to cap over the area into cooled rock did seem to slightly slow the tremors down, but only in tempo. It remained to be seen whether his stop-gap solution would be enough before anyone else came along to fix the situation.

Meanwhile, he and his clone turned his attention to the beaten-up Basher virus shells that had strangely not yet disintegrated. Whatever modifications had been done to them was making them continue to persist in the area after having their HP count depleted. Taking a few swipes at the broken shells got them to dissipate eventually, though whether it was of any use would be up to the mysterious cowboy-hatted Prog later on. [Bounty: +2 Basher]

After contemplating their earlier snap decision on ThermalMan and their short-lived acquaintance, Courser left the scene and went back down the mountain. Passing by the bridge that the Prog had put down earlier, it seemed to have been covered in a bit of snowfall, making it stand out less in the natural landscape. The hardhat-wearing Prog itself was long gone, and tracking back through the path he went through earlier led him to a smaller side path that he had passed over.

His exploration led him to a tiny winding path through a slightly hilly area in the snow. It appeared to have been carved out by something being pushed or dragged through the snow, moving around large sinkholes randomly dispersed throughout the area. One glance forward showed the perpetrator; a BombBoy had been pushing its cube-shaped charge through the snow for whatever reason, while a bouncing Slimey virus trailed behind it as it did so. Above the BombBoy, a Satellite hovered in the air unmoving.

To Courser's left and right, he could see the reason why the sinkholes had been there as well. A pair of Bashers were firing their salvos up into the air and letting them crash into the snow. The firing pattern was seemingly at random, though they managed to keep a wide berth from the BombBoy, so it was likely at least somewhat directed.

Then, Courser heard a shrill beep from high above the sky: the Satellite had emitted the sound and was landing in the snow. At the same time, the Bashers swiveled their barrels from pointing up to pointing at him -- he'd been spotted!

-- Viruses --
Satellite EXSatellite EX (Satellite)

Area: Netopia, Sharo, NAXA

HP: 150
Primary Attack Damage/Effect: Trap(Enemy in Targeting Cursor) + Seeking: Movement (High-Alt) + Dodge + Lock-On + Nullify Invis
Primary Attack Accuracy: C
Primary Attack Description: Generates a targeting cursor that sweeps back and forth across the field, looking for a target. The cursor ignores decoys, objects, illusions, and invisibility. If the cursor intersects with an actual enemy, Lock-On is achieved, and the virus launches itself into the sky at High Altitude.
Secondary Attack Attack Damage/Effect: (6 Null + Seeking + Enhanced Accuracy) x 10 Shots
Secondary Attack Attack Accuracy: A
Secondary Attack Attack Description: When Lock-On is achieved, this virus fires a barrage of 10 highly accurate shots at its chosen target before landing in its original position. Accuracy debuffs on the Satellite while using this attack are reduced in severity by one rank.
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): Lock-On1, Zenny
Special: Immobile outside of its primary attack.
Special: This virus will repeat its primary attack until it finds a target, after which it will be able to use its secondary attack once. When it changes targets, either of its own volition or its current target's death, or uses its Secondary Attack and lands in its original position, it must repeat its primary attack until it finds a new target.
Notes: Triggering invisibility or an illusion, or moving the Satellite forcefully after Lock-On is achieved does not allow a target to escape Lock-On. Lock-On is a shift in the Satellite's state, not a status inflicted on its target, and thus cannot be removed.
: 150 HP (Snow, directly next to BombBoy)
BombBoy EXBombBoy EX (BombLab)

BombLab viruses attack by summoning a huge cube-shaped explosive, called a BoyBomb. They push this bomb towards their enemies, using it as cover against incoming fire as they do so. It takes a BombLab virus an action to summon a BoyBomb, and another 2 to push it into attack range of the enemy. Once the explosive is in range, it will explode the very next turn. BoyBombs have StoneBody, and can be moved with special abilities, such as Knockback, Microburst, Pull, Gravity, and Telekinesis. BoyBombs will explode if physically picked up, however (EX: Rageclaw or similar means). Bomb Lab viruses jump, not teleport, back to their starting position after setting the BoyBomb.

HP: 130
Attack Damage/Effect: 60 Null + Blast 3
Attack Accuracy: S
Attack Description: Summons a 10 HP BoyBomb, and begins pushing it towards the enemy. Bomb deals massive damage once in range.
Element: None
Possible Rewards (Per virus): BoyBomb1, Zenny
Special: This virus is immune to the effects of BoyBombs, including damage.
: 130 HP (Normal, end of path)
Slimey EXSlimey EX (Slimey)

Slimey viruses were produced to be sources of major traffic lag. While a Slimey virus is on the battlefield, all Navis and SPs suffer from a passive Slow-like effect that imposes a -10% Evasion AND Movement Speed penalty. This effect is not a status ailment, and cannot be cured. This effect does not stack with itself if more than one Slimey is on the field at once. As this does not count as a true Slow effect, up to two instances of Slow may stack on top of this effect for a total penalty of -30% Evasion/Movement Speed. This effect expires when all Slimey viruses on the field are deleted or flee. Slimey viruses are very slow to move and dodge, but every move they make that is not a dodge counts as an attack. Slimeys deal damage by touching an opponent, thus touching a Slimey directly results in damage to any non-Slimey the virus considers hostile.

Area: Sharo, NetVegas, Beach

HP: 120
Attack Damage/Effect: 30 Aqua + Slow
Attack Accuracy: A
Attack Description: Body slams its foes. Any foes hit are slowed the following turn. Must be within melee range to attack a foe.
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): MetaGel1, Zenny
Special: While this enemy is on the field, dodge effectiveness is reduced by 1 Rank.
: 120 HP (Snow, directly next to BombBoy)
BasherBasher (Basher)

Basher viruses are the top-tier of the stationary gunnery viruses with an unmatched single-shot damage output among the normal viruses. They are also the rarest of their class, and appear only after battle 5. They also never appear in large numbers in a normal battle, meaning the ratio of total viruses to Bashers should be at least 4 to 1. The attack cycle of Bashers is 2 actions long, regardless of which attack they use. The first attack requires one action to charge before firing, and the second attack executes twice in succession. If they are stunned, they resume their attack cycle where it was halted once the stun wears off. They don't move, and don't dodge.

Area: Sharo

Primary Attack Damage/Effect: 60 Fire + Break + Panel Break x3 Targets, 1 Action Charge
Primary Attack Accuracy: A
Primary Attack Description: The virus selects up to 3 targets, and spends an action charging up the main cannons. It then fires a Magnum blast that reduces most Network constructs to ashes with a single shot, usually leaving a blast crater where they once stood. It may target empty panels and objects as well as enemies.
Secondary Attack Damage/Effect: 10 Fire x3 Targets + Double Attack
Secondary Attack Accuracy: A
Secondary Attack Description: Fires a 3-shot spread from the left arm cannon, then follows up with an identical attack from the right arm cannon just after. Each cannon shot requires an action, and both attacks must occur one after the other.
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): Magnum1 (Rare), Zenny
Special: Immobile
- Main attack destroys panels, reducing enemy evasion by 1 Rank.
A: 120 HP (Snow, to the left)
BasherBasher (Basher)

Basher viruses are the top-tier of the stationary gunnery viruses with an unmatched single-shot damage output among the normal viruses. They are also the rarest of their class, and appear only after battle 5. They also never appear in large numbers in a normal battle, meaning the ratio of total viruses to Bashers should be at least 4 to 1. The attack cycle of Bashers is 2 actions long, regardless of which attack they use. The first attack requires one action to charge before firing, and the second attack executes twice in succession. If they are stunned, they resume their attack cycle where it was halted once the stun wears off. They don't move, and don't dodge.

Primary Attack Damage/Effect: 60 Fire + Break + Panel Break x3 Targets, 1 Action Charge
Primary Attack Description: The virus selects up to 3 targets, and spends an action charging up the main cannons. It then fires a Magnum blast that reduces most Network constructs to ashes with a single shot, usually leaving a blast crater where they once stood. It may target empty panels and objects as well as enemies.
Secondary Attack Description: Fires a 3-shot spread from the left arm cannon, then follows up with an identical attack from the right arm cannon just after. Each cannon shot requires an action, and both attacks must occur one after the other.
B: 120 HP (Snow, to the right)

-- Navis --
Courser.EXE: 100 HP (Normal, start of path)

-- Terrain --
45% Snow
  • Non-Aqua Elementals get -10% Evasion and reduced movement speed.
  • Wind attacks: +100% Source Damage. Imbue Aqua if Null. Change terrain hit to Ice for 1 turn after turn hit, then back to Snow.
  • Aqua attacks: 25% Freeze chance, change terrain hit to Normal if triggered. Boost chance to 100% if Ice-type.
  • Fire attacks: Change terrain hit to Ice, generate Frosty Mist: -10% Accuracy for Non-Aqua Elementals, +10% evasion against Non-Aqua Elementals, Freeze1 effect for any Aqua or Wind attacks.
  • PanelShot: Imbue Aqua + Freeze1.

15% Normal
  • No effects.
(A tiny winding path moving around two of the sinkholes)
40% Missing
  • Permanent bottomless hole.
  • Doubles dodge penalties for bad RP.
  • EJO if you fall in.
(5% large sinkholes dispersed throughout the snow)

-- Victory Condition: Exterminate --
-- Battle 11 Ready? Start!! --
Further away from the increasingly unstable hilltop, and back down towards the valley, Courser let his attention drift to the surrounding snow-scape again as his gliding water current carried him in slow, lazy curves across the tundra. Alongside him, a duplicate skated backwards, hands behind his head as he eyes up Courser with a sidelong glance; it wasn't too bad if he watched himself just out of his peripheral vision – looking directly was still enough to cause a headache, but sidelong glances were okay.

“So... no guilt at all then, boss? Backstabbing and exploding volcanoes and all?” The main navi sighed and rolled his shoulders.

“I did what I could. Jen sent a message to the authorities. What else was I meant to do?” The clone only shrugged and Courser tried to focus on not talking to himself. They crossed paths back and forth as he continued in silence, each watching the opposite sides of the valley as they went, but both drew up with a skid and a splash as the latest obstruction to their wandering journey came into view.

The narrow path through the snow ended at an ever-industrious BombBoy. The crack and burst of shots drew his attention to the two Bashers on high, two pairs of eyes turning in opposite directions to identify them as the two CourseMen quickly stepped apart and assumed slightly more readied stances.

“Heads up, Jen!” One shouted as they both exchanged sidelong glances and split further, darting forward. Dusting mists of snow kicked up around the two, though a close eye might see that only one developed a frosty rime about the edges of his coat – that one began rapidly moving up the hill towards the left, while the other raced forward, towards the trio in the middle.

“Hey now, friends! Blowing holes in the road is bad for tourism, you know!” The Courser towards the centre didn't slow his approach, grinning as he called, while the open moving towards the hill cupped hands to his mouth to follow up.

“Aye... Take a moment and just stop for a bit, hey? Take a break, on us!” With a quick, spinning flourish, both threw their hands out, wave whips visibly uncurling and then pelting the field around them with a scatter shot of frigid watery darts; despite the words, the only one that didn't find any freezing water cast in his direction was the BombBoy: each of the others would have to contend with at least a couple of quickly-freezing splashes.

“Oi, you with the explosives! Yeah, you, boy... this way! Got a job for you! Come on!” The central courser was grinning now and skated around the broken sink holes, doing its best to tease the virus with its misplaced familiarity. The clone moved back towards the far side of the valley from his navi, and towards the opposite Basher, though his back was to the artillery virus as he skated.

Courser himself, meanwhile, took an extra moment to assess the field, then kicked up and extra cloud of snow dust around himself; his form faded into pale white and mist, growing ever harder to see or pin down, and he waved a cautionary finger at the satellite virus as he did.

“Sorry little guy... we're playing by my rules today... there's actually non-one here at all, you see.” His smirk and a wink was the last thing to fade into white – even if the Satellite's targeting laser sweep were to pass over Courser's true location, the elusive navi would still fail to register for the poor machine.

The next indication that Courser was still anywhere one the field was the sudden whistle and cut of two long, thin blades of water flashing out of the snow and mist and aiming to cleave two bisecting cuts across and down the left hand Basher turret before it could take any further shots. His indistinct image drew back again, wave whips crossed over his form; they had stretched and curved, even as the cycling water current within had collapsed and compacted into almost intangibly thin edges. A moment later, the navi tipped an imaginary hat with a sword salute and a rakish smirk, then dashed away again, fading into the snow.

Hard to see amidst the other confusion, Courser raced across the battle field, circling the broken holes in the ground until he closed in on the opposite turret; his main target, again, was the Basher, but each whisper-fast stroke of his water-bladed whips had the reach and width to catch any other hapless viruses that might have been close enough; any that had given chase to the real Courser, or the poor BombBoy if it had followed his decoy with its payload. Those last two slices were all the chip had left, however, and courser shook out his hands as his whips coiled again and reverted to their snaking, fluid forms.

With the cuts made, Courser kicked back and let himself drift back towards the centre of the area, switching places with his decoy if it was still making itself useful. He could feel the strain of blending himself as fully with the shadow as he was dragging at him, but he was getting better at it; he was sure he could hold it as long as he needed to this time. Now... how to deal with the rest...

-=Summary=-

C*) ((TrapMaster: Courser is aware of the Satellite's targeting trap, and denies its ability to trigger on him))
C*) First Barrier: (40Hp Barrier, Self)
C*) First Armour: (10Hp Casing, Self)
C*) Decoy: Moving forward taunting/teasing BombBoy
C1) Solo Teamwork: (10Aqua, x 2 Hits, x 4 Targets, Shot-Type, A) Scatter shot to Slimey, Basher A and B, and Satellite, hoping for a quick freeze
C2) Murky Deception: (Shadow, Self, 2 turns, Self-Slow2 (1 round, two ranks))
C3) Katana1Damage: (60 + Slashing + Wide Attack) Then (60 + Slashing + Long Attack)
Description: Creates a long metal blade with exceptional cutting speed. Hits with a wide slash, then a long slash in the span of a single action, hitting 3 and 2 targets, respectively. Only one target can be hit with both slashes. Rare
Duration: Until Overridden/Broken. Breaks automatically after 2 uses.
(60, Slashing, Wide) Then (60, Slashing, Long), Basher A
C4) Movement (To Basher B)
C5) Katana1Damage: (60 + Slashing + Wide Attack) Then (60 + Slashing + Long Attack)
Description: Creates a long metal blade with exceptional cutting speed. Hits with a wide slash, then a long slash in the span of a single action, hitting 3 and 2 targets, respectively. Only one target can be hit with both slashes. Rare
Duration: Until Overridden/Broken. Breaks automatically after 2 uses.
(60, Slashing, Wide) Then (60, Slashing, Long), Basher B
C6) Movement (Back towards the centre)
C*) Fast Barrier: (40Hp Barrier, refresh, just in case)
Contemplating the what-ifs with his own decoy was one of the ways CourseMan passed the time along the way, and the viruses they came across in the valley was another. Afterwards, the two moved into action, with a misty breeze kicking up to inconspicuously protect them with a defensive field. Starting out, the two spread a small storm of snow to shred at the area, with everyone but the BombBoy receiving minor lacerations. In addition, one of the Bashers found its barrel started to frost over heavily from the attack. The BombBoy chose to summon its cube-shaped explosive to try and protect itself, while the Slimey employed evasive maneuvers by way of rushing towards one of the two. Unfortunately, it chose to rush after Courser's doppelganger, and found that it was deceived as it plopped onto empty snow.

The Bashers moved next, their machinery whirring up to charge a shot while they swiveled towards Courser's body, one of them fighting against the quickening ice. The Navi had a countermeasure already lined up, however, as his body faded into the snow itself. Shortly after, the frozen Basher would find itself cleaved in half, while the other shot its charge into the snow. The snow erupted into the air, leaving a sheet of ice underneath, and a mist of frost hanging in the air. The other Basher met its end quickly in the same way, while Courser cleanly avoided a confused Slimey's bounces. The BombBoy started to push its charge through the snow, and the Satellite swept its sensors across the area, both oblivious as to where Courser actually was.

-- Viruses --

Primary Attack Damage/Effect: Trap(Enemy in Targeting Cursor) + Seeking: Movement (High-Alt) + Dodge + Lock-On + Nullify Invis
Primary Attack Description: Generates a targeting cursor that sweeps back and forth across the field, looking for a target. The cursor ignores decoys, objects, illusions, and invisibility. If the cursor intersects with an actual enemy, Lock-On is achieved, and the virus launches itself into the sky at High Altitude.
Secondary Attack Attack Damage/Effect: (6 Null + Seeking + Enhanced Accuracy) x 10 Shots
Secondary Attack Attack Description: When Lock-On is achieved, this virus fires a barrage of 10 highly accurate shots at its chosen target before landing in its original position. Accuracy debuffs on the Satellite while using this attack are reduced in severity by one rank.
Special: This virus will repeat its primary attack until it finds a target, after which it will be able to use its secondary attack once. When it changes targets, either of its own volition or its current target's death, or uses its Secondary Attack and lands in its original position, it must repeat its primary attack until it finds a new target.
Notes: Triggering invisibility or an illusion, or moving the Satellite forcefully after Lock-On is achieved does not allow a target to escape Lock-On. Lock-On is a shift in the Satellite's state, not a status inflicted on its target, and thus cannot be removed.
: 140 HP (Snow, behind BombBoy)

BombLab viruses attack by summoning a huge cube-shaped explosive, called a BoyBomb. They push this bomb towards their enemies, using it as cover against incoming fire as they do so. It takes a BombLab virus an action to summon a BoyBomb, and another 2 to push it into attack range of the enemy. Once the explosive is in range, it will explode the very next turn. BoyBombs have StoneBody, and can be moved with special abilities, such as Knockback, Microburst, Pull, Gravity, and Telekinesis. BoyBombs will explode if physically picked up, however (EX: Rageclaw or similar means). Bomb Lab viruses jump, not teleport, back to their starting position after setting the BoyBomb.

Attack Description: Summons a 10 HP BoyBomb, and begins pushing it towards the enemy. Bomb deals massive damage once in range.
: 130 HP (Normal, middle of area)

Slimey viruses were produced to be sources of major traffic lag. While a Slimey virus is on the battlefield, all Navis and SPs suffer from a passive Slow-like effect that imposes a -10% Evasion AND Movement Speed penalty. This effect is not a status ailment, and cannot be cured. This effect does not stack with itself if more than one Slimey is on the field at once. As this does not count as a true Slow effect, up to two instances of Slow may stack on top of this effect for a total penalty of -30% Evasion/Movement Speed. This effect expires when all Slimey viruses on the field are deleted or flee. Slimey viruses are very slow to move and dodge, but every move they make that is not a dodge counts as an attack. Slimeys deal damage by touching an opponent, thus touching a Slimey directly results in damage to any non-Slimey the virus considers hostile.

Attack Description: Body slams its foes. Any foes hit are slowed the following turn. Must be within melee range to attack a foe.
Special: While this enemy is on the field, dodge effectiveness is reduced by 1 Rank.
: 100 HP (Snow, behind BombBoy)
BasherBasher (Basher)

A: DELETED
BasherBasher (Basher)

B: DELETED

-- Navis --
Courser.EXE: 100 HP (Snow, middle of area) (Barrier: 40) (Casing: 10) (Shadow: 1 Turn) (Self-Slow2: 1 Turn)

-- Terrain --
35% Snow
  • Wind attacks: +100% Source Damage. Imbue Aqua if Null. Change terrain hit to Ice for 1 turn after turn hit, then back to Snow.
  • Aqua attacks: 25% Freeze chance, change terrain hit to Normal if triggered. Boost chance to 100% if Ice-type.
  • Fire attacks: Change terrain hit to Ice, generate Frosty Mist: -10% Accuracy for Non-Aqua Elementals, +10% evasion against Non-Aqua Elementals, Freeze1 effect for any Aqua or Wind attacks.

5% Ice
  • +10% Evasion to all. Non-Aqua Elementals get -20% Accuracy.
  • Fire attacks: Change terrain hit to Sea.
(A patch towards the left, with frosty mist hanging above it)
20% Normal
  • No effects.
(A tiny winding path moving around two of the sinkholes, patch under Basher A)
40% Missing
  • EJO if you fall in.

-- Object --
BoyBomb: 10 HP (Being pushed by BombBoy EX)

-- Field Effects --
Slimey EX Slow Field: -10% Evasion Rate
From the veiling mist of snow dust and ice, Courser took measure of his efforts so far and began to move again, gliding swiftly across the snow and around the sink holes as a barely visible silhouette, to line himself up behind the deceived Satellite, and an extra step back besides so he could focus his attention on the full field and line things up.

As he repositioned, two other, more visible, shapes began to take form as patches of dark shadow rising from the snow; in the ruined remains of one Basher, Courser's main decoy rolled his shoulders and stretched, then winked at the Slimey that had tried to catch him previously. A grin flashed in the shadow.

“You'll have to do better than that, mate... come on, it's like you're not even trying to hit me here. Oi, lad! You, with the bomb!” The clone's attention turned away from the Slimey to instead focus on the explosive-pushing virus instead. “Up here, you nonce! Come on, I haven't got all day you know! That thing better be exploding in five seconds or I'm going to have to give you a bad review!” One hand on his hip, the clone tapped at his bare wrist, as though to demonstrate, then leaned back to take a reclined seat on one of the chunks of destroyed Basher. “Though, really... I guess you should probably ask if you should be looking at me... or him...” The decoy pointed across the area to the ruins of the other Basher with a quiet laugh.

Opposite him, the second patch of shadow was forming itself into a different machine entirely, taking shape as a tri-barrelled needle turret which twisted in place and lined up each of the remaining targets. As it finished taking solid shape, a rising barrier of chilled water and rime englobed it as well and its inner workings revved, ready to fire.

Before it did, however, the field a shower watery lances rained down across the field from a different direction; Courser had taken the stolen moment to prepare a volley of the frigid spikes within both wave whips, casting the projectiles free with two quick lashes of his arms and sending them to accompany the more direct salvo of his summon. The shots from the needler rang out a moment alter, creating an unusual pincer of cross fire across the area.

Without pause, Courser pulled one arm back down and in, drawing the snaking whip of water back up around his fist and letting it freeze into a larger, more direct bludgeon of spike ice. One small step forward, and his body slid on a brief current of water to bring the weapon slamming towards the nearby satellite. The follow through saw him twist on a short arc as the water curved around, bringing him to an angle unobstructed by the dangerous sink holes, to then rush onwards towards the Slimey next, provided it did indeed still need punching. If not it would be easy enough to double back and take a crack at any of the other remainder instead.

-=Summary=-

C*) ((TrapMaster: Courser is aware of the Satellite's targeting trap, and denies its ability to trigger on him))
C*) Decoy: Reform where right Basher was and try to distract the Bomboy into changing directions, just for kicks.
C1) Movement (Behind Satellite)
C2) Take aim
C3) AquaNeedle2Damage: 30 x 3 Needles + Variable Targeting + Drop Attack
Description: Three needles drop on enemies
Special: Variable Targeting: Allows the user to select a target for each individual hit of an attack. This means they may strike the same target multiple times, multiple different targets, or a mix of the two as they wish.
Special: Drop Attack: This attack originates above the battlefield, and falls to the ground. It gains one rank of accuracy against High Altitude targets.
(40Aqua, Drop, B (shadow/take aim), 1 Needle Each)
C4) Needler2HP: 80
(Summoned where the left Basher was)
C*) Fast Barrier: (40Hp Barrier, Needler)
C*) Needler: (40 x2 hits, A, All Three)
C5) ColdPunchDamage: 70 + Impact + Knockback
Description: Creates a large icy fist for the user to punch with. Anything it hits is knocked back a sizable distance, even objects.
(90Aqua, Ice type, Impact, Knockback, B, Satellite)
C6) ColdPunchDamage: 70 + Impact + Knockback
(90Aqua, Ice type, Impact, Knockback, B, Slimey, else/other)
Emboldened by his invulnerability, Courser began to heckle his adversaries, or more accurately, his doppelganger did, throwing banter at the viruses. This drew their attention quite successfully, with the Slimey bouncing over to him, while the real one made his move. Needles and lances made of liquid were loosed through the air from both Courser and a triple-barreled Needler chip. As such, most of them received a few holes in their carapace. However, his AquaNeedle attack wasn't quite as accurate as the Needler, due to his murky form obscuring his aim despite his best efforts, and only the Slimey received enough damage to be deleted. Afterwards, he drew his water onto his fist to freeze it into an icy bludgeon, which was used to great effect as it punched through both the Satellite and the BombBoy.

Left without its original owner, the BombBoy's bomb wound down, rendered inert. It might be possible to repurpose it into battlechip data...

-- Viruses --

: DELETED

BasherBasher (Basher)

A: DELETED
BasherBasher (Basher)

B: DELETED

-- Navis --
Courser.EXE: 100 HP (Snow, middle of area) (Barrier: 40) (Casing: 10)

-- Terrain --
35% Snow

5% Ice
  • +10% Evasion to all. Non-Aqua Elementals get -20% Accuracy.
  • Fire attacks: Change terrain hit to Sea.
(A patch towards the left, with frosty mist hanging above it)
20% Normal
  • No effects.
(A tiny winding path moving around two of the sinkholes, patch under Needler2)
40% Missing
  • EJO if you fall in.

-- Object --
BoyBomb: 10 HP (Left alone on the field)
: 80 HP (Normal, to the left) (Barrier: 40)

-- Battle 11, Victory!! -
Rewards: BoyBomb1HP: 100
Properties: Normal
Object Damage: 220 + Blast3
Damage Method: Throw, Knockback, Microburst, Pull, Gravity, Telekinesis
Attack Damage: 220 + Blast3
Accuracy: Not Applicable
Description: Creates a BoyBomb1 on the field directly before you. The bomb may be pushed around until the end of the turn. The bomb will explode at the beginning of the following turn, dealing extremely heavy damage to anything nearby. Be somewhere else when that happens....
Duration: Until destroyed or the beginning of next turn.
Special: If enough damage is dealt to this object to destroy it, it will immediately explode instead.
Battlechip, 4550z, 15 BugFrags, +2 Basher Bounty
Winding down from his last punch, Courser let the momentum carry him on a low water current in a small circle, finishing with a flick of his fingers on both hands that saw the icy formations break apart and melt into fluid whips again, before retracting entirely into his hands. He folded his arms across his chest as he came back into view fully.

“Well, points for effort, boys...” He scanned the area for any further thread,s and nodded to himself once he was sure it was clear. Not far away, his main decoy had skated down to begin examining the large bomb that hadn't quite managed to explode. The clone circled it once, then whistled aloud. Courser felt a small smirk crest his lips.

“Fate seems to like us today, Jen. Make room for this one...” As the rest of the data filtered back, the his decoy stood straight again and rubbed his chin, looking somewhere off to the side and behind Courser himself, rather than making eye contact directly.

“Conversion to chip data for navis looks like it'll shorten the fuse a bit, boss, but it'll pack a lot more punch than the original too. Sounds like it'll fit us just grand, don't you think?” He finished transferring the remaining convertible data back to her Pet and checked the totals as he did. It'd be an while before they had enough to take the next step, unless they stuck it rich unexpectedly.

“Another bomb!?” Jenny's incredulous cry made both CourseMen smirk in unison. “Is this normal? It says... is that number right? Courser, that's more than double your own program integrity! And it doesn't exclude you, like the other one does! I can't let you use that!” The tones of mild panic were still laced with an edge of excitement that Courser recognised and he moved to give the area one last once over before continuing, weaving between the broken sinkholes and moving further through the valley.

“Don't fret, Jen, it'll be fine. I know what I'm doing... I haven't gotten hurt yet, have I?”
“I... uh... Well, no, I guess, but...” He could hear her caution wavering.
“Not a scratch, right? Come on, just switch it in. Would a guy who looks this good in a long coat be wrong?” Alongside him, his decoy shook its head.
“He's got you there, Jen... I mean, those buttons, that back...”
“Alright, alright! I'm taking out one of the low accuracy ones. Just be careful with it, okay?” Courser only nodded in response and skated on, two pairs of eyes to the surrounding landscape as he searched for something else to test his latest unsafe acquisition on.

((Ready for Battle 12))
As Courseman continued his run ever deeper and deeper into the network, a small set of buildings could be scouted out, most dilapidated, torn down or even on fire at this point. The snowy winds of Sharo bringing the smoke near the navi's face, snow melting and showing off the paneling beneath it. The snow hard and crunchy as Courseman continued along, even sea panels beginning to show in the area as more and more dilapidated and burned out buildings, about twice as tall as Courseman, continued to dot the landscape.

But before he could continue on, he heard voices not much farther out, and with it...a trio of Heelnavis. Two colored completely differently, holding a pair of flamethrowers in each hand with gas tanks strapped to their backs. The trio were huddled around a campfire made out of bits and pieces, mostly impossibly tiny furniture being used to stoke the flames.

"Ugh. Stupid viruses." One spoke in a deep accent, likely from Sharo himself, as he brought a flask to his mouth to drink. "I mean, what kind of viruses make a god damn TOWN of all things?" He continued after a hearty belch and sigh. "Right? Easy money! We's keepin the net safe here! We get paid! We get to delete a buncha off-net viruses in the process! I mean, what more could ya want!" One of the flamethrower holding navis piped up, leaning back against a burned out building. "Not our fault these things are so bad at living, right? Even managed to catch one as a plaything." He continued with a hearty laugh, a sea panel not far from the navis, chains going deep into it with what seemed like a platform submerged in it and obvious bubbles to which their "toy" was submerged in.

"Wanted to go along with the rest of the group, but orders is orders I guess." The final navi spoke, much less burly and more like a younger man's voice as he took a glug from the flask. "Ah well, either way, those viruses aughta sell well to the mafia. Whatever those kooks have planned, we augha not ask questions. Outta sight, outta mind, right? Still kinda kooky how all those viruses managed to fit in these tiny ass buildings. Somethin about "compression" or whatever? Ah, above my pay grade, that's what it is." He contnued. "Eh, had a buncha EX variants there, plus I thought I saw some navis here too...but that couldn't be." One of the others spoke.

Courseman seemingly had the upper hand should he start combat, he was nestled nicely behind one of the destroyed buildings and all three of the navis were currently occupied, talking amongst themselves. If he wanted, he could get the first shot off and likely brain one of them fairly hard. Or if he didn't want to get involved...well...he could easily go back the way he came and go elsewhere...I mean, was it really his problem?

------Terrorists?-------
Fire-HeelA: 250 HP (Normal, roughly middle of the area with the other navis)
Fire-HeelB: 250 HP (Normal, Roughly middle of the area with the other navis)
HeelNaviA: 150 HP (Normal, roughly middle of the area with the other navis)
Basher EXBasher EX (Basher)

Primary Attack Damage/Effect: 90 Fire + Break + Panel Break x3 Targets, 1 Action Charge
Secondary Attack Damage/Effect: 20 Fire x3 Targets + Double Attack
: 150 HP (Sea)(Chained up, about a dodge distance away from the navis)(Hold)(Freeze)(Submerged)(Will be unsubmerged next turn)

--------Buccaneer----------
Courser.EXE: 100 HP (About a movement away from navis, can still escape undetected for a different battle, at the farthest end of the field behind DestroyedBuildingC)(Accuracy down from this far away)(Snow)

----------Terrain----------
45% Snow
(Where Courseman is at, along other areas, mostly behind and around the unburned out buildings)
35% Normal
  • No effects.
(Around the navis and their "camp")
20% Sea
  • Fire Elementals lose 10 HP/action standing, 20 HP/action submerged. Other Non-Aqua Elementals lose 5 HP/action submerged. Nullified for Aqua Elementals.
  • Ice attacks: 50% Freeze1 chance, Changes terrain hit to Ice.
  • Terrain changes between Sea and Onsen do not inflict damage upon submerged entities, nor do they eject submerged entities to the surface.
  • PanelShot: Imbue Aqua.
(A couple patches around the area, including under the BasherEX)

---------Objects-----------
Campfire: ??? HP (Middle of the area, where the navis are)(Normal)(FireBody)(Light)(Regen10 per action within a Nova3 area around it)
Destroyed BuildingA: 50 HP (Behind FireHeelA, middle of the area)(Snow)
Destroyed BuildingB: 50 HP (Further out, about half-way to the other side of the area)(Snow)
Destroyed BuildingC: 50 HP (Furthest out, you are behind this)(Snow)
Burned BuildingA: 10 HP (Towards the other half of the area)(Normal)
Burned BuildingB: 10 HP (Behind FireHeelB)(Normal)
Crane: ??? HP (next to BasherEX and the sea panel it's submerged in)

Battle Mode: Extermination (If combat is started)

Battle 12: The choices are yours and yours alone!
As the damaged buildings began to loom out of Sharo's snowy mists, Courser slowed on his water eddy and began to move more cautiously, his decoy ranging ahead instead of alongside and watching his alternate angles as the navi looked around.

“You seeing this, Jen? We've got structures, but signs of recent conflict too.” He scanned his mind for any immediate knowledge but came up blank. Looking ahead and to the left, he raised a finger to his lips and indicated for his decoy to move on a bit. The clone looked back and to the right wit a nod, then continued to scout a bit further as courser took shelter behind one raised corner. A quick scan of area maps and nearby chat boards didn't bring up anything, but another idea occurred to him instead

“It looks pretty cool. All post-apocalypse and everything. What kind of a place do you think it was?” Jenny's voice was curious and he heard her sipping another drink in the background. Courser glanced at the buildings again, mostly ruined and empty now, and then at the smoke rising into the sky.

“If I had to guess... You're not going to like it. This may have been a sanctuary.” Jenny hummed a noise of confusion around her straw and Courser reached for the quickest way to describe it. Ahead of him, his clone stopped and Courser blinked, parsing what the decoy was seeing in the distance; navigators... Generic heels by the look of them. He remained further out while his clone drifted close enough to listen in from behind another rocky ruin section.

“A place that protects unoperated or vulnerable navigators and other programs. They're targets for a lot of folks that want a quick power-up, and just being unable to jack out, and no emergency, means any virus encounter is life and death. Sanctuaries are usually off the grid, and hidden.” He closed his eyes and focused just on his decoy alone, listening to the conversation progress while Jenny processed the information.

“But this place is a ruin!” The girl sounded suddenly distressed; Courser didn't imagine Jenny had ever given too much thought to the ever growing problem of discarded net navis as technology advanced. Well, now she had.
“Yeah...” He rolled his shoulders. “Could be wrong. Sometimes groups of viruses gather like this too – benign, but they don't usually build much. There's a group of heels just ahead, looks like hey did a lot of the burning. They're talking about viruses, but one thinks he saw navis too. I'm going to find out what they know. We'll see whether they sign their own beatings or not.”

Still keeping back, Courser sent a pulse of energy to refresh his decoy, who glided out into the open on a lazy water current, approaching the trio around the fire.

“You know what they say, lads... speak of the devil and he shall appear. What's this I hear about you fine gents having an offer for our fine family, hmm?” The clone raised his hands up open and in front of himself, showing empty palms; it may not have technically meant much for navigators, but it was still the principle of the thing, to approach unarmed. “Strange place to be having a campfire out in the middle of nowhere, don't you think? I'm just here to talk, but, what's the enterprise, boys? Seems interesting.” He grinned, flashing teeth and stretched so that his unarmed hand gesture became one of putting his hands behind his head in a relaxed way.

Meanwhile, Courser himself ducked down behind his hiding place while his wave whips uncurled and a mist of water rose up around his form. A pool of shadows formed on the snow beside him, rising to take the shape of an ominous-looking ship mine, black with bumpy protrusions and a panel on the front with a digital red dial – it faded into sight fully displaying a numeral three, which promptly ticked down to two.

“Alright, let's see...” his voice murmured under his breath as nimble fingers briefly fiddled with the bombs settings, marking out the nearby heels and the Basher virus as hostiles while white-listing his own summons and the surrounding buildings. “There we are...” The black puddle of shadow expanded and swelled further as it gave shape to a further form, spiralling up from the dark into the form of his needle turret. The clinging shadows released it as it revved its engine and rotated its muzzle; it had lifted up the timebomb and now was ready to trundle around with the threatening payload on its top platform.

“Courser! What happened to talking to them?” Jenny's hushed whisper only made the navi's grin broader.

“I am talking to them. Over there. See?” He nodded to the turret, then directed it with a small finger gesture; it turned in place and then began to move, rumbling through the snow as quietly as it could down between the ruined buildings as it tried to get closer to the heelnavis without being seen. In its wake, the dark pool of shadow swelled again, giving rise to yet another creature. This time, it was smaller, and the familiar shape of Courser's little shovel-wielding ally saluted to him with its weapon. Still grinning, courser quietly removed the rather obvious nautical cap that it was wearing and put a finger to his lips.

“Stealthy today, my friend. Get close, but stay hidden, wait for my signal.” With another snap of his fingers, a swirl of misty water covered the small virus-like program, and as much as it frowned at being deprived of its cap, it saluted again and burrowed under the snow. Unseen, it moved through the ground to take up a position opposite where Courser's clone was talking to the group, getting ready to spring.

With his initial tricks setting up, Courser stood straight once more, pressing himself close to the wall of the destroyed building that he was hiding behind and drew one of his whips into the rushing water shell that he used as a shield. He thought briefly about readying one of his more potent weapons, but it could wait. Instead a small well of heat nestled and waited in his chest, prepared now just in case it was needed alter. His focus returned to the conversation his decoy was attempting to have.

-=Summary=-

C*) ((TrapMaster: Courser is aware of any traps present in the situation and their triggering conditions, and denies their ability to activate on him or his clones))
C*) First Barrier: (40Hp Barrier, Self)
C*) First Armour: (10Hp Casing, Self)
C*) Decoy: Moving out to greet the navis and talk to them, non-aggressively.
C1) TimeBomb1HP: 100
(Summoned next to Courser)
C2) Needler2HP: 80
(Summoned underneath and picking up Timebomb) (Not attacking this turn)
C*) Needler: move closer to Heelnavis, trying to stay out of sight for now.
C3) MomograHP: 60
(Not attacking this turn)
C*) Fast Barrier: (40Hp Barrier, on Momogra)
C*) Momogra: (movement to tunnel to somewhere close to heelnavis, staying underground and not attacking yet)
C4) Dodge/Stay Hidden
C5) Shield NCP: (2-Hit shield)
C6) Fire+30Status: Fire Element UP 30, Stackable
(For your listening pleasure: Battle Theme)

As Courseman's shadowy doppelganger made his way out to the Heels, the secondary navi was immediately met with spit-takes at his apperance...as well as raised weapons, two pairs of flamethrowers trained on him while another pulled out an amalgimation of a shotgun and a rifle, broad barreled with a large clip sticking out of the side at the end of the weapon. The three navis waiting to see him move before slowly bringing the weapons down. Oh, a mafioso eh? Not bad suddenly appearing like that. Though we weren't expecting anybody, boss didn't say nothin about any extra backup. One of the flamethrower wielding navis spoke, a gruff accent with hints of sharo in his coding, one with a bit of age behind it. The other two seemingly wary of the intruding Courseman('s shadow) but, they weren't nearly as wound up now. What family you from then? This wasn't a publicized thing. You're lucky we didn't fill ya fulla holes the second you showed up. The other flamethrower wielding navi spoke, he was about middle-aged, a bit higher pitched but still worldy, sitting down for a moment, rubbing the back of his head, grumbling under his breath. Yea, we're here on orders of...ah...what's her name again? The youngest of the three spoke, stammering briefly. Oh! Missus Hevari! She's from the Techari family! She rounded up a bunch of us from the net around, she wanted us to round up a bunch of viruses, mostly so she could experiment with them. Think it was...for...MetaViruses? Still above my paygrade, but that's the word from the grapevine He continued, seemingly having trouble remembering everything he heard. But, experimentations and metaviruses? Something worth looking into after this maybe?

As Courser's shadow went to meet with the three "fine fellows" ahead, he began to setup a plan of action...of course starting with high yield explosives. And putting it onto the back of his Needler, the chip summoned platform began to head out, darting behind another of the buildings, managing to float under the radar for the time being as his clone managed to talk up the three "upstanding citizens", whilst his Momogora had no trouble getting in range as needed, keeping underground and staying out of sight for the time being. All the while, Courseman himself began to buff himself as the navis spoke. He was still in the clear if he wanted to bail if nothing else, but with all that setup, was it worth trying to get more info? Or begin an all out assault? All while that was happening, the crane began to pull up a large virus...a BasherEX of all things. It's flames were completely out, it had been scratched and bruised, not to mention it had been drowning the entire time Courseman('s shadow) had conversed with the navis. It was in better shape than it could have been, mostly thanks to the soothing fire, but it wasn't about to be outpacing the drowning it was being subjected to.

------Terrorists?-------
Basher EX: 130 HP (Sea)(Chained up, about a dodge distance away from the navis)(Hold)(Freeze)(Above Sea panel)(Will be submerged next turn)

--------Buccaneer (and friends)----------
Courser.EXE: 100 HP (About a movement away from navis, can still escape undetected for a different battle, at the farthest end of the field behind DestroyedBuildingC)(Accuracy down from this far away)(Snow)(Barrier40)(Casing10)(2 Hit Shield)(Fire+30 on next fire attack)
: 60 HP (Near encampment, about a feint's worth of distance away)(Burrowed)(Barrier40)(Not attacking)
: 80 HP (Behind Destroyed BuildingB)(Snow)(not attacking)

45% Snow (Where Courseman is at, along other areas, mostly behind and around the unburned out buildings)
35% Normal (Around the navis and their "camp")
20% Sea (A couple patches around the area, including under the BasherEX)

Campfire: ??? HP (Middle of the area, where the navis are)(Normal)(FireBody)(Light)(Regen10 per action within a Nova3 area around it)
Destroyed BuildingB: 50 HP (Further out, about half-way to the other side of the area)(Snow)
: 100 HP (Atop Needler2)(Count:2)
Courser's clone was, perhaps unsurprisingly, unperturbed by the aggressive presentation of weaponry and kept his hands up as long as they kept them trained on him. Instead, it nodded along with their explanation.

“Figures they'd send me here blind...” The decoy shrugged and rolled its shoulders in a show of mild frustration. “Sometimes I think Tech likes to leave us half out of the loop just to make us look bad. Nerdy buggers. Ah well! So, gents...” here the decoy stretched its arms and seemed to relax a bit, folding them across its chest instead as it looked around the broken buildings.

“You ain't got a liaison on site by the sound of it, do you? Figures. Hevari... Hevari... lemme think...” Here, he made the motions of thinking, then, as if recalling something frustrating and unpleasant, slumped his shoulders back and buckled his legs briefly, casting eyes up at the sky. “Oh for the love of...” He straightened and grinned again, flashing teeth.

“Never mind! Teksqp makes do! That's me, by the way. Everything unexpected is just according to plan, am I right? Okay, here's the deal as I got given it...” He approached the fire in a more relaxed way now, though the clone still kept his hands where they could be seen; his manner was friendly and relaxed, if mildly frustrated at the feigned lack of cross-faction communication.

“Word was that there was a private family project going down out this way, but there was some top notch level crazy going on in the middle of it, and rather than risk losing specimens in something that the local talent might struggle with, they wanted your favourite boy in blue here to poke his nose in and make sure the nastiest stuff was handled. Got to look after our prospective business clients after all. That's you boys, by the way. So, I didn't get no briefing and I'm sure they don't want me to just drown this whole chunk of the net, so... What's the sitch here, lads? What've we got going on, what've you seen, and where's the rest of you?” He glanced between the three navis, though his attention lingered longest on the younger one, who seemed the freest with information so far.

As the decoy spun its weave of misdirection and fished for more information, Courser waited and listed, focusing through his clones perspective. One small curling motion of his fingers saw the snowy mist about the needler turret coalesce into a shell around it, as above, its payload continue to count down. The heelnavis only had so long to speak up before they got a surprise; hopefully it would be long enough to give him a better idea of what the ruined buildings were about. They had mentioned compression and a greater space inside, and if there was still fighting going on, and if it was friendly viruses or a sanctuary, then he didn't want to spend too long playing with the external guards.

There was always a chance they'd get suspicious. Well, more suspicious, but courser only needed to buy a few seconds after all; one of his wave whips darkened with black shadows, preparing to throw off any attempts to suss out his decoy if it became necessary. If anyone attacked it or saw through it, then the game would be up anyway, so a more overt answer was fine, just in that case. Meanwhile, a lighter mist of water spray thickened and drifted about his feet and behind his back; another precaution, just in case he was seen and attacked directly.

It was after he had prepared this additional layer of contingencies that Courser realised he was mostly just doing it for the practice, rather than anything else; he might have just as well kept still and waited – he wasn't intending to act until the attempts at diplomacy had run their full course, after all. That full course was only going to be a few more seconds, one way or the other.

Further up, the Needler turret waited, and then on silent command began trying to manoeuvre quietly to get a bead on the three around the fire – it was still trying to keep out of sight with its present, but it also wasn't exactly the stealthiest of machines. If it could settle somewhere where its muzzle could see the trio, without attracting attention, all the better – hopefully it didn't need to get too much closer to do that... but if not, well... there wasn't really anything to associate the virus with him, especially not if there had been some kind of resistance here that used viruses.

-=Summary=-

C*) ((TrapMaster: Courser is aware of any traps present in the situation and their triggering conditions, and denies their ability to activate on him or his clones))
C*) Decoy: Continue being the face man, fishing for information and holding their attention.
C*) Fast Barrier: (40Hp Barrier, on Needler)
C1) No Peeking: Counter(Nullify or Seeking Attack directed against CourseMan or any of his decoys): (First: (Blind + Disarm, Shot-Type), Then (Decoy(1 round)).
C2) Mist and Shadow: Trap(Incoming Attack against CourseMan): Multi-Stage: First (Teleport + Decoy(1 round)), Then ((Aqua)LifeDrain 10, Shot-Type), Then (Self-Slow)
C*) Momogra: (stay hidden, waiting to attack)
C3) Dodge/Hide
C*) Needler: (Move closer, trying to get line of sight on the three navis)
C4) No other actions for now; listening and giving them a chance to talk.
C5)
C6)
As the three navis listened, the eldest of the three was first to speak up, holding a free hand up. Ah, one of those chaos guys, eh? Nothin doin for ya in this instance, then. Guess we could always use an extra pair of hands from the Mafia...just don't go tellin nobody about this op and don't be expecting much, if you -do- get paid. He spoke simply, to the point, but seemed a little hesitant about Courseman, a feeling, but he couldn't stop himself from speaking. But you'd want to talk to the boss once you get towards the front of the caravan, Hevari herself is here on the front lines too...never seen a doctor fight like her before...she's peculiar to say the least. He continued, looking up at the skies, it seemed roughly late in the day so far, but still plenty of light out regardless. Yea, what he said. She was throwin flasks all over the place, like it was some kinda game to her. Even caught some of the guys in their radius, they were barely able to walk for a while, not that she seemed to care. Seemed like...ah...oh what's the word for her kind? the second firey heel navi started, rubbing his chin for a moment before the youngest spoke up. Oh! Plague Doctor! I remember! She was even wearin one of those funny masks that made her look like some sorta bird! Those flasks were somethin else, if they didn't explode to damage, they were sending out poison and shit. She coulda done this entire thing with little help, we're just meat shields to her! He would say, fearful of his words before shaking his head. Said her labs were in the rogues, too. Most of us wouldn't be able to follow her if that's the case, but if nothing else, she could put a good word in if we wanted to actually join the mafia. He continued, looking at the flickering flames of the fire near em. If ya wanna catch up, they were headed north and were gonna take a few stops along the way, hear there's more places like this up ahead fulla viruses. I wouldn't be surprised if they put out one or two of those "metaviruses" out along the way to screen for people trying to follow. Lotta elementalie- align- Ail- element charged heels in the group, like us, we even got some nice chips as a "down-payment" to make use of. I mean, most of them are trashy, like those stupid Guard and Shockwave chips, but we all got some in our elements. Might get something yourself if you can get a late sign-on bonus with her and her guards. The middle navi spoke again, pointing towards the north, faint footprints and tracks all going towards the north. They still hadn't caught on to what Courseman was planning, but all the same, they were still wound, almost itching to use those chips.

All while they were talking, Courseman had his plans in place, his trap cards set and ready to use if the need arose...and his Needler managing to slowly make it's way towards one of the burned out buildings nearest to the group, the machine's legs leaving tracks in the snow all the same, but thanks to the distraction, even as his bomb ticked down again, the three heels thought they heard something, but thankfully left it up to "that blasted machine" before too much longer. Seemed they were more alert than they had let on, but the machine had sounded out, dunking the BasherEX back into the drink and letting it drown just a little more all the same.

------Terrorists?-------
Basher EX: 150 HP (Sea)(Chained up, about a dodge distance away from the navis)(Hold)(Freeze)(Above Sea panel)(Will be submerged next turn)

--------Buccaneer (and friends)----------
Courser.EXE: 100 HP (About a movement away from navis, can still escape undetected for a different battle, at the farthest end of the field behind DestroyedBuildingC)(Accuracy down from this far away)(Snow)(Barrier40)(Casing10)(2 Hit Shield)(Fire+30 on next fire attack)[Trap: No Peeking][Trap:M&S]
: 60 HP (Near encampment, about a feint's worth of distance away)(Burrowed)(Barrier40)(Not attacking)
: 80 HP (Behind Burned BuildingB)(Snow)(not attacking)(Barrier40)

45% Snow (Where Courseman is at, along other areas, mostly behind and around the unburned out buildings)
35% Normal (Around the navis and their "camp")
20% Sea (A couple patches around the area, including under the BasherEX)

: 100 HP (Atop Needler2)(Count:1)
While this navis talked, Courser's clone nodded and folded his arms, listening along. While Courser himself focused on extending the misty shell of protection up the needler and over the ticking payload that it bore as well, the decoy watched the trio of heels. They'd given some information, but not entirely what he was hoping for. There was time for one more shot though, probably. They didn't seem to have relaxed as much as he'd hoped, but it would have to be enough. He chuckled softly and rolled his shoulders as they continued.

“Honestly lads, at this point I think I'd rather not. The good doctor is, well... let's say she's not known for taking good care of her collateral... which usually means the fresh hands are better off keepin' out of her way. Buggered if I know why they'd even bother to collaborate if they've got her on site to begin with. Doubt they're going to need me or mine for much by the sound of it, an' if she does, well, maybe they should have been more friendly about the details. No skin off my nose.” He smirked at them, shrugging once then turned back towards the ruined building where the real CourseMan was waiting. With an expansive wave, he called out towards to his hidden 'companion'.

“Oi! Riptide! We're all clear here! Come and say hello, you anti-social bastard!” The decoy turned back to the others, raising one hand in an easing gesture as Courser followed his own cue, surfing out into the open and moving closer to the group. He nodded to the heels, and offered lazy salute; they'd be able to see that the two Coursemen were completely identical in appearance at this stage, but neither seemed to act with any obvious deference or control towards the other; Courser himself focused a little more on his clone self, making sure its behaviour remained fully animate and convincing, even if his own body language ended up being a little bit surly in response.

“Mild virus activity in the area, but not much. What've we got?” Courser glanced past his decoy at the Basher that was getting dunked beyond, and spared individual appraising glances for the other navis. The clone shook his head and crouched down by the fire in a more relaxed way.

“It's Hevari. Another one of her experiments. I don't even know why the bleedin' hades they'd send us in now.” The decoy made a face like he wanted to spit, but decided against it. Courser snorted and glanced back at the other navis.

“You guys might've dodged a bullet here. Last time the good doctor did a round up, she burned through every non-family member she took with her and wrote it off as 'research data'.” He glanced across to his clone without making eye contact, but raised an eyebrow. “We sitting on this one?” The decoy nodded and glanced back to the other navis once more, raising an eyebrow and grinning. “Mind if we just kick it with you gents for a while? I've got no interest in having an argument with Hevari over this. At least not until she fucks up enough to make it funny. And hey, if she goes and digs up another cybeast at least we'll have the fun of hauling her arse out of the ice to dangle over her later, am I right?”

Courser restrained a chuckle, but let out just enough of it to show his amusement at the decoy's comments. After a second or two, he glanced around the damaged space.

“So what was all this then, anyway? No public records of a settlement here. It's not family, if she left you to torch it. What'd you find? Navi Sanctuary? Private military base? Looks like you did a number on it...” In his head, Courser counted down the seconds, letting them answer and talk for as long as he could. Just a little longer...

After he'd given them as much time to answer as he could, Courser gave the mental command to his smallest ally to being the show. He nodded to the other navis.

“Fair enough... but you said before, she's been splicing Metas together now... Have you seen any of the... – What the-!” The mole virus was ready and waiting, and so was CourseMan; It burrowed and popped up from the ground amidst the camp, but of all places, it appeared behind CourseMan himself, swinging its shovel wildly. Courser sun and ducked to the side, ready to avoid the incoming attack – although there was every possibility that the eager critter was quicker than even he anticipated; it it was, and clipped him, then that would just add more credibility anyway.

“Looks like you missed some stragglers lads! Oi Wavecreast! I thought you said you'd scanned!” Courser flung an accusation at his clone as the mole chattered in its best approximation of aggression. The decoy was laughing, slapping his leg in obvious mirth.

“Yeah, I did, its just trivial stuff, grow up!”
“Wavecrest!! You useless sod! Look, there's another one over there!” Courser pointed to where the Needler had just revved its engine in a threatening way; the timebomb on its top had just clicked down to zero, its last few moments of fuse about to end any second. “I'll scan myself. You owe me a drink, you hear?” Courser cast a withering glance to his doppelganger, who was still laughing to himself in an entirely unbothered manner, and swiftly reached into his coat and pulled out a small silver sphere, throwing it out into the space just beyond the fire.

It landed in the snow part way between the Needler and the campfire, but then unfolded the top sections and began to emit a slim blue laser light that cut back across the field, passing through the middle of the camp, though it wasn't interrupted by any individual body initially.

“Ah. That... might not have been my field scanner. Nobody move!” The clone's laughter redoubled as Courser held up his hands to the other navis. The decoy rolled onto his back, barely able to talk from his mirth.

“Hah, you are such a nonce, Riptide! How many times have I told you to label your gear!”
“It's not my fault they all look the same!” Seemingly embarrassed, cloying shadows raced up Courser's form and partially obscured him from sight, though his image still seemed focused on berating his decoy, rather than dealing with the viruses. The mole seemed gleeful at the confusion while the Needler had begun to spin up its muzzle and take aim. “Hang on, hang on... I can shut if off, just give me... Here...”

The Needler began to fire now, peppering the three navis around with a double salvo of needles as CourseMan pulled something else out of his coat. Another small silver sphere. This one immediately slipped form his hand and landed on the ground with a heavy thump, before expanding into a very large, very volatile-looking explosive. Directly in front of Courser, it had also landed directly across the Dynamite's trip line.

Courser attempted to throw genial arms around the two nearest navis, grinning all the while. The dynamite beeped.

“Ah... Sorry lads... that might not have been my defuser...” Unable to help himself, Courser winked at them.

-=Summary=-

C*) Decoy: Continue chatting, reassuring while it probes for information
C*) Fast Barrier: (40Hp Barrier, on TimeBomb)
C1) Movement (Come to the fire, open and peacefully, if more serious than his clone is acting)
C2) Talk and listen to the navis answer, assisting decoy in information gathering.
C3) Prepared Dodge, take the time to hear them out.

C*) Momogra: (15 Backstab, B) Attacking Courser (He's ready for it though)
C*) Trapmaster: Courser chooses NOT to have Mist and Shadow Trap trigger on this attack
C3) Dynamite1HP: 100
(thrown out to in front of the Needler, but facing inwards, so the trip line crosses through the 'camp' directly, though not on anyone immediately)
C4) Murky Deception (Shadow self, 2 turns)
C*) Needler: (40, x2 shots, on 3 targets, A) (on the three heel navis)
C5) Throw arms about the shoulders of as many heel navi friends as he can, in the sense of friendship and camaraderie, and not letting them run away.
C6) BoyBomb1HP: 100
Properties: Normal
Object Damage: 220 + Blast3
Damage Method: Throw, Knockback, Microburst, Pull, Gravity, Telekinesis
Attack Damage: 220 + Blast3
Accuracy: Not Applicable
Description: Creates a BoyBomb1 on the field directly before you. The bomb may be pushed around until the end of the turn. The bomb will explode at the beginning of the following turn, dealing extremely heavy damage to anything nearby. Be somewhere else when that happens....
Duration: Until destroyed or the beginning of next turn.
Special: If enough damage is dealt to this object to destroy it, it will immediately explode instead.
(placed directly onto Dynamite's laser line, breaking the beam.)