An Appeal to the People

Kabuki's reaction to their chatter seemed to catch both girls off-guard, and as she visibly struggled to master her weeping, their expressions shifted to uncertainty and worry. Pikeru moved forward on the bed, crawling to the end on her hands and knees even as Kabuki backed off.

"Ah.. Don't... don't cry, miss! We're sorry if we said something bad!" Curran had followed a moment late, and they both sat up, kneeling at the end of the bed together.
"We didn't mean to upset you, honest! You don't have to go, we can make it better!" On their knees, the two girls were holding their hands clasped together in their laps, looking on with pleading expressions while Kabuki made clear her intent to be going.

They were distracted rather easily by her offer of a new movie to watch, however, and both their eyes went to it instead, long enough for Kabuki to give them her final messages and slip out before they could react any further. With any luck, it might be a breath of fresh air for them - neither girl had seemed to recognise Kabuki's name for what it was, so it was probably safe to assume their experience in the arts was limited at best.

That good deed aside, the actress was having precious little luck getting herself under control as she switched mode to communicate with Divina as well, and had to struggled with a different, but not entirely unrelated moral dilemma. In the end though, the directions were given and steps taken to reunite the trio of freedom fighters again.

--

On her way to this reunion, Divina had matters of her own to take care of, but the ever-willing devotion of her followers, and in particular the dedication the one who seemed to be first amongst her followers, saw that, should unsavoury things hit the public domain, the faithful would be mostly spared.

By the time Divina arrived, it would only be a short step for the two of them to step over and pass through the two doors leading to the broadcast room, where they would find uprising moving her hands over the control bank carefully, making one press or adjustment at a time, then pausing again. She glanced up when the pair entered, but flinched visibly when Divina was there as well. There was a moment when her hands clenched and she swallowed, unable to look directly at the goddess, but then she did something that, chances were, neither of them might have expected of the young rebel. She darted across the small space and hugged Divina - she was smaller, more more petite in pretty much very way, but the contact would, unfortunately for Uprising, illustrate just how solidly muscled every part of her lithe form really was. Given the difference in their size, it put the smaller girl's head more or less at Divina's chest height - or possibly lower depending on how floaty the goddess was feeling at the present moment - but she'd also turned her face politely to the side as well, and looking down all Divina was likely to see was the top of her beret with small licks of red hair creeping out variously. It was a fierce embrace, but it only lasted a second or two; just long enough for the girl to whisper heatedly to the other woman.

"I'm sorry. It should have been me." The words were short and quick, and like the gesture, were done with barely a moment later. The anarchist stepped back and composed herself, then took a breath and squared her shoulders again.

"I've worked out how this all works, and it's just about ready. What things have you each got and what should we use? I can set it all up, and put a playback delay on, to give us a few minutes, if you want. Depending on what you've both got, I was thinking that we might start with the SP testimonials, then split the audio and have their interviews over-lay some of the more directly damaging video footage, perhaps... but it'll depend on what you've got to use, and what you both want to do."

The girl seemed very eager to do as much damage to the head of the purple house as she could, and it seemed as though the original mission goal - which had been secured safely long ago - was taking back seat to, as Uprising would probably choose to phrase it, tearing down his tyranny.

Kabuki wished she could stay and instruct the girls in the fine art of kabuki theater (after all, it wasn't exactly the most intuitive way to jump into the culture of the world at large), but she had more pressing matters to attend to, as much as it pained her.

Once she had spoken to Divina, she had to admit, Divina really didn't look that bad off considering what had happened to her. Maybe it was a goddess thing? Or perhaps a navi thing? She had no idea, only knowing what she knew about sex and not having ever taken part herself, old-fashioned gal that she was. "GO~ME~NA~SAI! I'm making a scene!" she sniffled, wiping her face with her sleeve again. The goddess reassured her that there was no reason to worry about those of her faith going up in arms after hearing the news, although she was going to take some precautions to spare them the trauma regardless. "Alright... Not every Christian helps a wounded stranger in the ditch, you know? So I never assume everyone can perfectly uphold their RELIG~IOUS TEN~ANTS," she explained, hoping she hadn't offended Divina again. "I'd really rather we not air it, though! I don't want to see it myself, either..." she murmured, squinting her eyes and momentarily blackening again.

Divina seemed determined to use it, though... Perhaps she just didn't want it to go to waste or otherwise wasn't willing to let Kozuke off the hook any easier than he deserved? Kabuki approved of either sentiment and thus objected no further. The two reunited in person, with Kabuki insisting on another smothering hug, before the two continued inside to meet up with Uprising. Once they did, the little girl had yet another hug to give with more words of apology, which Kabuki knew that Divina must be tiring of, but she understood all the same. "It shouldn't have been any of us! And that FAT~BAS~TARD will pay for his crime!" she shouted, before clasping both hands at her mouth, hoping that the microphones weren't on yet. "I've got TEST~I~MO~NY from his two girls that will reveal how he's been mistreating them, teaching them to be SEX~SLAVES while denying them basic freedom in the guise of caring for them. In a way, it's much how this EN~TI~ER DIS~TRICT is being treated: protected, but forced to submit to terrible AT~TROS~SIT~TIES just out of eye-sight in exchange!" she shivered again with anger. Slowly, she cooled back down to her darker form. "That's all I've got, personally. There is video, but it's nothing graphic. One of the girls insisted on keeping her pants down as they were when I entered, so, er, I've aimed the frame upward. You having studied this technology and me not having much of a head for this sort of thing, I'll defer to your expertise; you can arrange the pieces as you see fit."

The tall actress stood around, smoldering black and shifting awkwardly for a moment, before stepping back towards the door. "I'll be our look-out! Just in case," she laughed, stepping again just outside the door so she could keep a watch out for anyone approaching. Well, that was part of it, at least... the other part was that she didn't think she could bear to watch the Kozuke Highlight Reel once Uprising got it assembled. "Call if you need me!"
Upon reuniting with each of her friends, Divina found herself on the receiving end of some rather powerful hugs. She returned each as well as she could, though Uprising's proved so tight that she had a little trouble returning the favor. Her remark proved a bit painful as well, but in an entirely different way. "Again, you needn't worry. What good is asking people to make sacrifices if I can't do so myself? If nothing else, I think I have a bit of insight on him...and though you two may think me mad, I'm not so sure he's entirely irredeemable. I think, deep down, there may be a good person, waiting to come out. But don't mistake my words. My resolve hasn't wavered at all. If anything, it's become stronger. Once he's no longer drunk on his power, I believe he'll become a more truly benevolent man." Unlike the other two, she was wholly willing to see a good side to Kozuke. It just needed some coaxing out. Forceful coaxing out.

Once Kabuki had left the room, the goddess formed a ball of light, then handed it to the other Navi. "This...is everything I've recorded. It goes from when we first entered the house, to right after I left the dining hall. Use whatever parts you feel necessary to bring about the change we both desire. And worry not about my followers seeing it, I've sent all but one away, and that one I would trust with my life, much less something like this." Despite its subject matter, she was at total peace with the prospect of sharing it with hundreds of strangers, if it meant taking a step towards restoring sanity to the area. She also had no intentions of leaving like Kabuki; she was interested in bearing witness to what everyone would see.
Their young employer was all seriousness and solemnity again as she took the various data recordings from both of them. She turned back towards the control boards and began to work a few things carefully as a small frame screen popped up covering one of her eyes. The footage from each of them began to play though it, and one could assume uprising was getting the audio as well, though there was no sound as far as Divina could hear - Kabuki had already excused herself by this point, keeping a careful eye for anyone else coming by.

Despite trying to maintain her mission-serious composure, there was a notable tightening of Uprising's jaw as she reviewed what each women had given her, and a few times her hands trembled over the controls. It would probably be a mistake to interpret the slip as something other than rage, given everything else, but either way she kept it under control and crushed the outward signs to a minimum while she worked.

"Ok, so... Start with these... keep that, cut over to..." her murmurs were accompanied by deliberate actions on the controls, each made with care; it was clear that, while the girl had worked out the core basics of what she needed, she still didn't really know what the majority of the dials and switches on the equipment did.

In the end, though, as both women seemed content to allow Uprising to do the arranging herself, the process only took a few more minutes. No-one came to find them in that time, though Kabuki might have seen the occasional servant or guest cross over the far end of the hallway, back out in the public area. No-one came their way, though, nor did anyone emerge from any of the other behind-the-scenes rooms nearby.

"There!" Uprising stood back from the controls, holding her hands off in a vague 'finished' gesture. She glanced to Divina. "Have a look, before I set the timer:" She pressed one more button and a small playback screen lit up above the console.

The screen faded in to show a young-looking man, dressed in very traditional samurai armour, in black lacquer work. His features were predictably electopian, thought he colour of his eyes was every bit as black as his hair. The footage shot revealed that he was in a holding cell of carved stone, with thin, sturdy bars between himself and the recorder.

"Even after Kōzuke Kira, and his house, saw to the supplanting and destruction of our own Tsukigin, and our faces disappeared from the district, many of our people continued to work in secret, away from public eyes, to protect them, and to stop any of the houses and their hidden wars, from going too far. Our master... he was a great man. He was honourable and just, but that made him a thorn to Kōzuke's ambition." The man cast his eyes down and the scene changed, to another warrior. This one looked similar in most ways to the first, though small differences marked him clearly as a different person; they were wearing the same armour, and bore the same black eyes, however.

"It was a cruel trick, and a cunning one. Our master had taken oath to prevent a particular abuse of power by Kōzuke, but Kira had a very cunning advisor who guided him cleverly around much that our master sought to prevent. This time, though, our master was deceived twofold by him; the first ploy was a ruse that appeared to allow him to make a bid for dominance that would have crushed both Musabo and Seishin in one fell swoop, provided he made the preparations for it in secret, away from connection with him, in a dark layer of the undernet. That in itself was a trick, though, and a trap." The speaker was clearly growing wroth as his story unfolded, and when he paused to compose himself, the screen cut away again.

"Our master... he suspected a trap, but by his oath, he couldn't ignore it. Some of us, we begged him not to go - if it were true, time would have been critical, and Kira's advisor staged other minor problems to reach us as the story did. It was too much coincidence, and our master knew it. He had to go though, and dispatch each of us to care for things up here while he went alone. When he fell, we felt it. We knew, and we were helpless." As opposed to anger, this program was struggling to prevent himself from breaking down, and the camera changed view again, to a fourth.

"The whole undernet plan was a trick," the fourth speaker was heavier set than the others, and he had a grim, stoic countenance. "There was nothing there but death, and Kira had his hands free again. Without our master, or an operator above him, all the five of us had left was to hold to one another, so we did, and we planned. His advisor... no, I'll not speak his name. It doesn't deserve to be remembered. His advisor was the man who caused the death of our master. He did not wield the blade, perhaps, but it was his doing, and after much planning we avenged our master. We have done murder, and on one higher than use, and if we must now follow our master in death for it, I have no regret. We did what was necessary." Uprising's voice came over the screen then, though the view didn't show her.

"Kōzuke Kira is the one ordering your executions in the morning. If the people rise up and tell him that it is unjust, what will you do?"

"We must accept the punishment owed us for our actions. I do not think that man will listen to any amount of the common people saying otherwise, young lady. If his hand were forced, and he spared us, then that would be that. Our fate lies with his action. I do not know what any of us might do, though. I would be glad to see Tera again. We sent her away before the attack; she is the youngest of us, and should not die with us... but you know that."

When the view cross-faded again, this time it was to a young woman, dressed in similar amour to the others, and with the same short-cut black hair and eyes, though it was clear that her frame was very slight, and her features very youthful. In human terms, she didn't look above mid teenage years. Her eyes were red, though if she had been crying, she had decent composure now. Uprising's voice came first this time.

"I'm going to get them out of there, I promise. But I need your help, Tera. I need you to tell me about the one who is holding them, Kira, the head of Kōzuke House." The girl, Tera, snarled and looked as though she was contemplating spitting to the side.

"He's a vile, disgusting man. Lecherous, debaucherous, cruel, brutish and cowardly. He's completely without honour, and will do or say anything he pleases, if he thinks it will benefit him. I don't think he cares about anyone but himself..."

As she spoke, the scene faded over to show Divina's recording of Kabuki, Uprising and herself entering his feasting hall, as they had earlier in the night. The public who had gathered before would recognise some of this, since he had promised to release the programs, and invited the three women in for negotiating the finer details. The audio remained on Tera's voice, though, so their actual conflict couldn't be heard.

"He's a disgusting creep of a man, and a pervert. He's probably a rapist, and I half think he's a child molester too... I've met him, and the way he was looking at me. I could feel him imagining..." She shuddered. "He keeps two girls, and calls them his 'daughters'. It's vile." The scene playing underneath the audio showed the rising arguments that the women had gotten into, the refusal of apparent demands, the shouting, and the eventual exile of Kabuki from the room. It faded forward to the moment when Uprising had been sent away, with Divina being held rather more possessively on his knee. It faded forward again, skipping over and omitting the early parts, where Divina had looked mostly consenting, and instead transitioning to move forward from the point where she very clearly was not. Tera's voice-over continued.

"If there's something that gets in his way, he just throws it aside, or destroys it, until he can just take whatever he wants, whenever he wants it, with no care for anyone else. then he tries to dress it all up in clever words, to pretend that he's in the right, or that it was just. It makes me sick to even think about. And... and that they're all going to die, because of him... Just, just because he says so, just because having them killed makes things easier for him... I... I can't..." Her voice broke, a few sobs coming through while the horrifying footage continued to play. Uprising could be heard comforting the girl quietly.

The scene playing beneath the audio reached its 'peak' shortly afterwards, and faded to black. the screen that came up after that was the shot of the two girls, Curran and Pikeru, sitting on their bed as they spoke to Kabuki. The audio here had been levelled slightly, so as Kabuki interviewed them about how their 'daddy' treated them, and the things he did, the sounds of the movie that had been playing were also clear - while the girls spoke, the sounds of Kira himself doing sexual things to them and instructing them to do so for him, on their home movie, were quite clear to hear and understand, in between. - As Kabuki had done when talking to them directly, few were likely to reach any conclusion other than that the two girls were either brainwashed or damaged.

When the screen faded again, what came up was an image of Uprising herself, sitting with her legs crossed and her banner over her knees. It looked like she was in the open commons outside the various bath-houses, and the time was early afternoon; most likely this was a piece she had prepared earlier, either as record or simply to document.

"Whatever happens here tonight, my goal remains firm. The evil, corrupt man who perches himself above others and grows fat upon their labours, must learn that the common people will not stand for the tyranny he perpetrates, and that their will is stronger when standing together, than his. Lives slated to sacrifice must be saved, and the regime broken before others can be harmed. Freeing those wronged is not enough. The people must know what goes on beneath the surface of this secluded spring. It is not the sanctuary it appears, and they have a right to know." The image faded out again, and the small screen flickered away as Uprising turned towards Divina.

"Grim viewing. Still, what do you think? I can set it to delay for a few minutes, then begin playing. That should be long enough for us to get clear of the fall out. I've had my banner maintaining audio-visual from where I left it in his room," small spots of colour showed in her cheeks for a moment, perhaps embarrassment for not telling Divina that she had taken that precaution, "and the bastard did give the word to see about releasing them once you left. If I give it, say... five minutes? That should be enough time for us to make sure they're out and gather outside with them. I know the way down to the cells, so I can dash back and make sure that goes smoothly, then meet you and Kabuki at the bottom of the steps?" She paused raising her eyebrows in honest curiosity. "Unless there's anything else you need to do before we get out of this mad house?"

Kabuki was amazed that Divina was still willing to forgive Kozuke, despite all that the man had done to her, to all of them, to his girls, and to the community at large. Most gods named throughout history tended to be vengeful in at least one way or another, to prompt others to be charitable and live good lives, or otherwise face punishment. Technically, Christianity taught that even the worst of men could still repent and enter into heaven, but Kabuki still thought that listening to Divina's earnest thought that the big man might be saved was pushing into delusional territory. She wanted to remind Divina that the man was not only a rapist, but also a murderer. If there was a good man somewhere in there, waiting to come out, he was pretty well hidden. "I guess that's why she's a goddess: because she can forgive that man. I certainly can't," Kabuki thought to herself as she walked just outside and watched the hallway.

From outside, Kabuki listened through the door as much as she could, hearing the testimony of the SPs that Uprising had interviewed, as well as the revolutionary's own words. She couldn't hear the rape of Divina, which she wasn't sure whether she was happy about or not; on one hand, she hated to avert her eyes and ears from so much of their plight, but on the other hand, she didn't exactly need more evidence that Kozuke was evil, nor would it likely make her temperament any more manageable. She gently opened the door and poked her bushy head back in. "That sounds EX~CEL~LENT to me! Thank you for doing the work. I'm happy if we can run the video and then run OUR~SELVES out of here as quickly as possible! I don't have anything to wrap up here, PER~SON~NAL~LEE," she finished, wanting to leave immediately. Part of her wanted to go share some more time with Pikeru and Curran, to see if she could properly prepare them for what was (hopefully) going to change around here, but again, she had no idea what to say; she had a feeling that, coming from a crazy, shouting woman, whatever negative message she delivered that conflicted with Kozuke's would probably fall on disbelieving ears. Hopefully, the community would help the two of them, as she'd hoped they would. "I can always come back and check," she thought to herself. "But if this works like we're hoping it will, then Kozuke will be eager for blood for the three of us. It would be better of us to remain scarce for a while."

With that said, Kabuki was ready to lead the way back outside, provided Divina was following. Presumably, Uprising would go to grab the prisoners out of their captivity below the house herself.
It actually surprised Divina a bit at how quick the editing went. She thought it'd take at least a few more minutes, if not a lot more. Now, let's see what would go up on the screen...the story of the SP's master proved quite tragic, though if she was being brutally honest, it was sort of an extension of what she found so wrong about this place; honor before reason to the extreme. Still, that was the sort of honor she hadn't seen much of today...also, she couldn't help but wonder about that advisor. Who were they? The SP had said that his name wasn't worth mentioning, but knowing who it was might give her a little more insight...but wondering wouldn't help here. She'd be able to ask the SPs herself soon enough.

The rest was mostly things she'd either already inferred, or experienced herself. But even after all of that, she still truly did not believe Kozuke was beyond saving. "That will do. This should shed some desperately needed light upon the darkness nicely... but it's a shame it's needed in the first place. And I agree, a delay might be in our best interest. Is there any way it can be set so that it can't be turned off during the broadcast, though? There's always the chance someone's smart enough to get in here and shut it down before our message is finished." Wasting all of that effort put into making it, by all parties involved, would be quite the downer, to say the least. "Other than that, I don't see any reason to remain here. We'll meet you at the entrance. And stay safe, all right?" With that, she floated outside the room, and followed Kabuki outside. At the very least, they'd find the lone remaining follower of Divina, though he wouldn't have any initial reaction beyond a bowing to the divine figure before him.
When Divina mentioned trying to secure the playing of the footage in some way, the smaller girl's eyebrows shot up. Apparently, she hadn't actually considered the fact that someone form the house could simply come in and turn it off again right away.

"Good catch..." Her voice was something of an embarrassed murmur, and she turned back to the controls swiftly. It was a few moments more of tentative presses and small shakes of her head, before Uprising stood straight with her hands on her hips in displeasure, and a small screen jumped up in front of her left eye.

"Nothing I can do here that someone with access won't be able to cancel with a simple password. Anything your end, Jane?"
"No... should we contact—"
"No." Uprising cut her off, visibly shuddered and made a face. "No, I'll handle it. Don't message him, or his creepy navi unless we really need an escape for programs that can't just pull out." The screen over her eye blinked away again and Uprising stood back, scowling at the console. She glanced to Divina and Kabuki, then nodded.

"I've set the clock, get going. The video is loaded up and sent, it'll play automatically now. I'll take care of this then grab the programs and meet you out there." She raised one hand above her head and gripped it, and her banner recalled itself in a small glow of light. The way she was glaring at the control console suggested that her solution was going to revolve around violence again. "You might want to move quickly... this'll probably attract attention."

Provided the two ladies took Uprising's hint and left her to it, the sound of wanton brutality directed at electrical equipment would begin to follow them, before being cut off completely by the close of the sound-proofed door. As hoped for, no-one seemed interested in impeding their progress as they made for the exit, though by the time either of the reached the main thoroughfare, a guard behind them turned to the side and looked to be receiving a communication of some description. Unless either of them made a scene, however, he would spare the retreating women only a brief, uncertain stare, before heading back the way they had come from.

If they continued to keep a moderately low profile and make for the exit, the two would be permitted leave just like any other guest, and find themselves back on the front steps of the opulent bath-house. As expected the more or less associated members of the earlier crowd were all but gone, and only the moderately busy traffic of people moving back and forth between houses, or crossing the square, as was normal for a night in the district, remained... and of course, Divina's most devoted, if she was indeed expecting him.

There was likely enough time for a brief greeting, before the signals above the great house would begin; projection markers extending high, and other test-pattern effects which, by now, most locals probably recognised as the sign that a show or announcement was going to be made by one house or another. Many of those passing through the commons, or between houses paused to see which house was setting up, or hung about to look on, casually.

In the few moments they had, Uprising stepped seemingly from the air alongside them, no doubt just coming out of an invisibility cover. Just behind her, the four samurai-styled warriors from the video interview faded into sight as well. Their weapons were drawn, and Uprising herself was carrying her banner in a way that the other two ladies might be coming to recognise meant business, for her, but they all visibly relaxed and sheathed once they were certain they were in the clear. Another small shimmer of light appeared a short way from the bottom of the house steps, giving way to the fifth, much slighter support program. Despite their weapons and armour, and indeed her own, Tera raced over to her allies with a laugh, and made efforts to embrace all of them at once.
"You're free! He let you go! They did it, they did it! I... I never thought we would all be together as five again!" The young woman sounded more like a little girl than was probably fair to her at that particular moment; it was clear she was holding back tears. One amongst the others laughed softly and hugged her back before ruffling her hair with a hand; it was a familiar gesture, likely something done many times.
"Well... four point seven at least."
"Hey!" Some more soft laughter followed while they greeted each other, and then without any more time for waiting, the playback began on the screen above them.

The volume let the recording aspects reach easily across the commons, while the screen size of the projection above the house rendered it clear to see from equally far. At the entrance to the house, on the steps or just below the, the angle would make seeing the screen difficult; it was meant to be viewed from an 'audience' position, clearly, and indeed once the sound began, many more faces began to drift out to see what the display was about. There was silence as it played; many of those coming out would have been present for the earlier rally, so would have some decent, if recent, understanding of what it was all about.

Those not interested in watching the particular of the video probably had some time to chat quickly under the cover of the show, but when the play-back was about halfway through the house doors opened. Several guards, and Kōzuke Kira himself rushed out, the large man gesturing sharply.

"Find them! Get that turned off immediately and don't let them..." His disciplined orders faltered and trailed away as his view passed over the area, the moderately large number of people watching, and then Kabuki, Divina and the others of their growing group, before him. Robbed of words, he looked between them and the screen, then back again. As brutish as he was, Kira wasn't a stupid navi, and he understood what was being shown; he could see Divina's encounter with him playing on the screen and knew how it obviously looked to anyone else while Tera's voice-over accompanied it. His eyes went past the small group, to the people behind.

"It wasn't... I didn't... She offered!!" It was clear to see on his face, though, that the man also understood how futile such a protestation was; true or not, it wasn't going to be believed, and he knew it. It was hard to not see the look of frustrated, disbelieving betrayal on his face as he looked back towards Divina in particular. Above, the interview with his daughters was playing now, and more uncomfortable murmurs began to ripple through the area.

"You... You've killed me... Do you understand that, woman? Pretty and inviting as a flower, with a strike unseen and lethal. This shame cannot be redeemed; you have killed me!" His voice trembled at the last, though exactly what emotion it shook with was hard to guess. A blade appeared in his right hand; on anyone else it might have been considered a short sword, but the thin, straight blade looked more like a toy dagger in his grip. One familiar with the cultural setting might know the weapon as a Tantō, and there was a good chance that Kabuki in particular might recognise the ceremonial significance of that particular weapon, at this particular moment. Others who weren't quite so quick to read the situation might have to wait until the large man dropped to his knees, and tore open the front of his robe, exposing a navi emblem made out in purple and sporting an emblazoned crown as its centrepiece, to understand what he intended.

"AR~RI~GA~TOU, my friend! We will meet you on the outside!" Kabuki finished, giving a stiff bow (that she really ought to refrain from until clad in something more modest at the bosom), then rushing outside with Divina. She passed by the guard with a shaky grin on her face, thinking that certainly she was about to be stopped, but he was thankfully either distracted or not under orders to apprehend them yet. Outside, the two would meet back up with Divina's rich-as-hell follower, who Kabuki felt somewhat awkward addressing now understanding his richness. "AR~RI~GA~TOU, friend, for being here for us," she briefly thanked him, feeling he deserved some praise. They might still be back in the blue house, paying their dues, if he hadn't bailed them out.

The sappy scene that unfolded once all of the five samurai united, now free from Kozuke's clutches, caused Kabuki to tear up again. If it wouldn't have ruined such a sentimental moment, she probably would have run up and hugged the five of them herself, but instead she hugged Divina and her companion close to her giant bosom while tearing up and sniffling. "AY~AH! FRIEND~SHIP and FREE~DOM are both so beautiful! Our work here was truly of a DI~VINE CALL~LING," she boomed, heedless of her volume. She managed to calm herself down from red to black and slowly release her choke-hold on her allies as the movie began playing.

The synopsis of all of Kozuke's evils and the appearance of the big, angry man himself, juxtaposed parallel to one another, was the perfect way to frame his unsavory character and present it to the bath-house district, in Kabuki's mind. She couldn't help but smile spitefully. In the end, whether there was a heaven or a hell, the people of the world had a way of reaping what they sowed. Kozuke was finally going to get his just rewards, payback for all of his mistreatment of fellow navis and programs, who deserved his respect but found nothing but abuse.

Fortunately or unfortunately, Kabuki had seen and acted in enough era pieces to know what was coming next: opening up one's robe and producing a small blade weren't things one did in hopes of retaliation, but rather, in admit of defeat and acceptance of death. A few moments ago, she would have been happy to push the blade in herself, but now, standing amidst her victorious group and, more importantly, the Goddess-of-not-wanting-people-to-commit-seppuku, Kabuki had to admit to herself that she didn't feel 100% good about the concept either. Rather than yelling for him to stop or trying to approach him, she threw one of her fans and guided it upon the wind, aiming for the blade in his hand. With any luck, she could strike either the blade out of his hand or his hand, causing him to drop the blade so they could have time to react.

"KO~ZU~KE! It is not man's place to judge you, nor even your place to judge yourself. Leave judgment to HEA~VEN and to HELL! For now, you have an OB~LI~GA~TION to the people of this district to make things right. Not by the honor system and certainly not by EX~EC~CUTE~TION! If you've truly lost EV~ER~Y~THING, now is the time to be reborn! Everything that you had is not lost, but rather, RE~PUR~POSED! You can now cease to live in the SQUA~LOR of evil and begin to bask in the RAY~DI~ENCE of a life devoted to good! I do not know how the cards will fall and whether the people will be FOR~GIVE~ING, now knowing your ways, but Uprising, the Goddess, Divina, and myself have all worked to stay an EX~EC~CUTE~TION tonight, not trade it for another MUR~DER!"

Kabuki's words barely made sense to herself; she felt like she needed to make a promise now that "everything would be alright," but how could she? The actress had only arrived here this morning and had wanted to murder Kozuke countless times already tonight. How could the people forgive him seeing now what had been living right under their noses, manipulating them, all this time? Right now, all she wanted to do was make sure Kozuke didn't plunge the dagger in, because she somehow felt that if she didn't, it would be as good as having murdered him herself... Part of her still wanted that. After all, countless rapes aren't exactly easy to forgive. But maybe through Divina's influence, or maybe through simple cowardice, she now realized that the night would be far better if it could end without a death. That seemed a poignant point to her, so she shouted it aloud so that everyone could hear.

"Your OFF~FENS~SES are grave, but let us prove tonight that this system can't continue to drag everyone into early graves at the behest of HON~OUR! No one needs to die!"
Fortunately for Uprising, Divina wasn't bothered too much with violence towards inanimate, unfeeling objects. At least, she hoped that was what was about to happen. ...Yeah, it was. She was staring at the console too hard. "Very well. We'll see you all in a few minutes." With that, she hovered with Kabuki out. She heard the confirmation of her suspicions for a moment, then made her way out with little fanfare.

Upon seeing her loyal subject bow, the goddess did a small curtsy, then motioned with her staff for him to rise. "Thank you for staying. It's just...well, you'll see."

"I comprendre. And a hearty bonsoir to you, mademoiselle!" The NormalNavi turned and bowed to Kabuki, though he was noticeably less bent than earlier.

That was all that anyone got out before Uprising reappeared, with everyone else in tow. The scene played out, and Divina and her remaining follower were both nearly crushed by the other woman's bosom. "Yep...great!...So would breathing..."

"O...oui..."

The grip was relaxed, as the video started to play. The goddess Navi paid little attention, having already seen it, but the NormalNavi was completely focused on it. At least, he did until Kozuke showed up, at which point he quickly got in front of his worshipee, just in case. But it proved unnecessary, as if anything, he was much more eager to draw a blade on...himself? Both Divina and her follower recognized what it meant, and flinched. His speech, however...it rubbed her the wrong way. He might not like it when she went on and on, but too bad, he was getting an earful now.

"You're wrong, Kozuke." She emerged from behind the other Navi, drawing close to him. Her lone devotee remained watchful, however, and if he tried anything, he would more than happily rush over and stop the attack...and it was unlikely that the house head had a thief's reflexes. But for the moment, he let his goddess speak her heart. "There is no shame that is beyond redemption. All that is required that you desire it in your heart. It may not be easy, and redemption may come slowly...but if you work at it with a repentant heart, the day will come. And Kabuki is right. You have something that many desire, but not all are gifted with: a second chance at life. But to take advantage of it, you must be strong. Will you grasp it with all your strength, and rise from the ashes? Or will you sink in an ocean of your own cowardice? That is a question that you, and only you, can truly answer." Notably, she was doing nothing to prevent him from carrying out, in her mind, the worst act imaginable. At the end of the day, even a goddess wasn't omnipotent. If his mind was so set on doing it, there was nothing she could do about it. The desire for change had to come from within. Not unlike the area in general, really...
By coincidence of perfect timing, the movie concluded Uprising's words to the camera, then faded out, just as Kira was preparing himself for the end. All eyes in the audience were inevitably drawn directly to the scene below, and there were more than a few gasps or cries. They came in both varieties, with some wanting to cry for blood over what they'd seen, while others were still shocked at the concept of such violence and death existing here in their very homes, and right in front of them.

As the large man gripped the small blade tightly and lifted it as though to plunge the blade into his own emblem, Kabuki's fan whipped across the intervening space to strike the blade away and send it clattering across the steps. The performer in her might be pleased at the flair of the just-in-time action, and the suitable gasp that rose collectively from the crowd behind in response, though now was not the time to enjoy it. As much as he could likely have recalled the blade, or summoned another, his strong hands simply dropped to his sides as he looked across at the group.

As one spoke, then the other, Kira watched them, breathing slow and heavy but otherwise unmoving. It was a well executed combination of brimstone and balm from the two women, first with Kabuki's fierce entreaty, followed by Divina's softer, more considerate challenge. When they were finished, however, the large man cast his eyes downward.

"Your words are hollow to me, lady Kabuki, lady Divina..." Along with the mental shift in standing that came with the condemnation of his life, the change apparently extended to every part of his behaviour; his tone was broken and softer, and accorded them both due name and title, rather than any of the insulting terms he had used previously. "All you have worked for? My house will break under this... and now you would deny me an honourable death as well, so to cleanse it, and so leave Kōzuke marked by my shame until its end?" He shook his head, looking at his own hands now. The crowd had fallen into a hushed silence as the scene before them played out.

"Your beliefs, your faith, is not mine, not ours... any here who know this shame... who know I did not redeem it in death... do you think they will follow your version of justice, just because you say? You think that they will not treat all of the members of my house as though they bear the weight of this shame I did not cleanse? You know that they will..." He looked up again, hardening his jaw.

"You exposed this shame to all; that makes it your right to decide my fate. If you deny my death and condemn me to live with that mark, then I must." One thing, apparently, that their differing beliefs agreed upon, by chance if nothing else, was that ending his life now, after being denied it, though 'honourable', would be seen by many as the coward's way out, and as they both seemed to hope, he wasn't going to take it. Behind them, a few others had moved slowly up the steps to join them on the platform that was now serving as in impromptu stage for the assembled bath-goers. One spoke up from the side, off to the ladies' right, and it was a voice they would be ale to recognise.

"It's not such a bad life, really..." It was a smooth male voice, and Joel, or rather KenmoeteMan, had a look of wry amusement. He was clad now in his more formally appropriate red robes, and had led the way up the stairs alongside the girl who had called herself 'Eve', for their matron. It seemed like very little of note could occur in this district without certain powerful figures getting wind of it quickly. Kira looked over to the second group, and his shoulders drooped, more defeated than before, if that were possible.

"Fuukouhan and I have lived under the mark of condemnation for some time now, and we have found it surprisingly bearable," the swordsman turned entertainer continued. Beside him, 'Eve' nodded as well. Where Kenmoete carried his flaming blade protectively, like an honour guard to his matron, she now held her hands in a similarly cautious pose, and small licks of flame swirled and danced about her fingers. Like her ally, she was actually dressed properly now in a formal red kimono, rather than her dental floss and band-aids approach to clothing from when they'd first met her. Kira looked past the two, to the woman smiling indulgently behind them.

"Madama Sanguine... Did you bring these two because you knew how this would end? They were the burning sword and the boundless sky of Taiyōtamashī.. and now they serve you as pleasure slaves. Is it what I must look forward to?" He asked the matron of the red house his question, but clearly to his surprise, it was Kenmoete who answered.

"We come to guard our Matron, and beyond that we work only as we consent to, nothing more. If we are condemned, we bear it proudly." Under normal circumstances, a retainer speaking out so in affairs between his betters would have been a grave dishonour indeed, and very shaming, but the bodyguard showed no reluctance; he was already condemned after all, and his interruption had been deliberate, to show the sort of freedom it accorded. The detail wasn't lost on Kira, flicking his gaze reluctantly to the two retainers instead.

"Why would two proud protectors subvert our traditions like this? How do you bear that weight? Why do you allow Koushoku to reap your skills, rather than redeeming yourselves?" He hadn't risen from his knees, but the design of the space easily let their conversation carry not only to everyone on the platform at the top of the stairs, but out over the assembled crowd as well... which had actually grown gradually in the intervening minutes, rather than shrinking.

"Because the outsiders are right..." Fuukouhan was the one who answered. Her voice sounded a little wistful, but firm all the same; looking at her standing between the broken man and her matron, flames swirling about her fingers, it was difficult to see her as the same scantily clad, giggly 'Eve' that had snuck them free passes earlier in the night; here, working in a very different role, the transformation was almost total. "There's been too much death, too much loss. It's supposed to be a haven, we're supposed to be safe... and day after day we find ourselves telling our regulars the same old lies: that a friend they knew, or a girl they liked to see, has moved away, or moved on, or found a new operator... It has to stop."

The matron stepped forward then, touching a hand on the girls shoulder, before waking over to Kira before turning towards Divina and Kabuki, and the rest of their group. She bowed to them hands to the side gently, then straightened.

"By custom, ladies, the fate of Kōzuke Kira, and thus the fate of his house, are now in your hands... but, I have a proposal, if you would hear it? You said that you don't wish for this man to obey our customs and end his life, for the sake of restoring the honour of his house. I would suggest this, then: He bear the mark of the condemned, the same as I offered to all who would accept it in Taiyōtamashī when we took them, and thus our two houses will join. One condemned cannot rule a house, for they too, would then bear his mark, but if we joined our houses, then he might still be granted the power to see to the affairs of all those that were formally of his house, and I to mine, while publicly we would be as one." She rested hand on the large man's shoulder, and he flinched.

"The game of houses will continue, yes, it can't be stopped truly... but between the joined influence of our two houses I will be able to ensure that there are no more wars, and that the district will see no more death. Politics, business, intrigue and trickery, yes... but safety from violence and death, at least. Uprising, Divina, Kabuki... the decision is yours."

It wasn't a perfect solution by any means, but it was still a step forward from the current situation. As many had predicted to them, other house leaders were indeed quick to make their power plays when weakness revealed itself, and the matron of the red house had clearly come prepared with a plan. Even so, all things considered, it might well be the best they could do for the district; amongst all the house heads they'd spoken with, she seemed to be the most pragmatic in terms of preserving culture while still sparing life. She turned an eye to the support programs, still in a cluster behind Uprising.

"I think too, it would be an honour to all of us here, to have the most loyal final retainers of House Tsukigin's memory, to aid us in the peace-keeping." Another prediction come to pass as she offered the programs service under her, but the five glanced at one another, then towards Uprising, standing amongst them, before their leader shook his head.

"The offer means much to us, my lady, but our vengeance was to be our final act here, and so it must remain; we have sworn new oaths, and will leave this place soon." He inclined his head in apology, but the red matron's eyes snapped quickly towards Uprising, who was doing her best to hide a grin. She arched one eyebrow at the diminutive girl, then shrugged, smiling despite herself.

"You act quickly, Rebel. Ah well. What do the three of you say, for the rest?" Uprising was making no denial on the implication that she had already bound the support programs to herself, and simply bowed her head in return to acknowledge the matron respectfully. She was clearly leaving the decision about what to do with the rest of the district up to Kabuki and Divina, and the crowd was watching to see what they said.

"AB~SO~LUTE~LY! Breathing is the simply one of the many joys of being alive!" Kabuki agreed with Divina and her companion, missing the point of the statement, before the video played, Kozuke's suicide attempt, and their attempts to talk him off the ledge, so to speak.

Kozuke again reinforced two thoughts which he adamantly held: one, that there was no coming back from his dishonor (Kabuki had to admit to herself that it seemed unlikely), and two, that the things they were trying to accomplish were incompatible with or otherwise ignorant of the established honor system here in the district. She wanted to respond that he'd made his bed and now he must lay in it, but that hardly seemed appropriate; thankfully, Eve and KenmoeteMan appeared, along with their matron, to provide some practical input. She nodded enthusiastically as everyone spoke of the importance of ending the cycle of murder that seemed to perpetuate behind the scenes. In the end, she was perhaps more enthusiastic and eager to accept the matron's proposal than was prudent, but she liked the sound of no one else being killed, at least. "I think it is a fine PRO~PO~SAL! At the same time, I have some LIN~GER~ING concerns. For one thing, becoming part of the Red House doesn't mean that Kozuke or his former employees will be forced to become involved in the... er... FULL SER~VIC~ES of the Red House, does it? It may seem like a simple thing compared to the death that could have come from all of this, but I wouldn't have anyone forced to SURR~REND~ER their body as any part of this proposal," she suggested. "Further, the girls from the video, Pikeru and Curran- I would much prefer that they be allowed to EX~PEER~EE~YENCE other things outside of that lifestyle. I guess what I'm asking is whether by claiming the PUR~PLE HOUSE, are you planning to replace all of its functions with those of the RED HOUSE? That would perhaps not be a step in the right DI~REC~TION."

Kabuki's skepticism hadn't fully worn off yet; after all, they'd created quite an opportunity for the Red House here and those folks had been very, very eager to swoop down on it. She hadn't seen the leaders of the others recently, but she could only imagine that all of them would be fuming at the imbalance of power this merger would create. Then again, things had been so bad under the split of houses when they'd arrived, she could hardly be sympathetic towards ruining that old power balance. Realizing the impact of her work again made her feel a swell of pride; she was quite eager to start crafting a new play out of their experiences here, although she'd probably have to add in some action just to keep people entertained... and leave out the part where she'd stripped naked for a bunch of strangers and had her bottom groped by another one.
Divina opened her mouth, preparing to make her rebuttal...but unless she suddenly sounded like a man, someone else had already started to speak. She recognized the voice without even looking, and did absolutely nothing to stop him, or the resulting conversation. It needed to happen. She wanted it to happen. Because it was another step towards bringing lasting change.

At the end, the head of the red house stepped forward, and made her proposal. While Kabuki eagerly accepted it, the goddess frowned, as it did not sit well with her. It had...flaws. "...I am regarded as idealistic, to say the least. And yet, even I cannot quite find it in my heart to accept this proposal. I do have your word, yes...but in a place filled with posturing and betrayal, is that truly enough? But I believe I have an even better suggestion." Odds were at least some of the people hearing all this knew what was coming, but here it came anyway...

"I shall take control of it. I believe a link with the outside world may be just what this place needs. Words and actions for one night, no matter their magnitude, do not always result in lasting change. That comes more slowly. With a direct link, I can keep an eye on things, and help ensure the safety of all who visit the area. I know a few of my followers that can assist greatly in maintaining a business, as well. And of course, all staff are welcome to remain, though I will be introducing some of my unemployed followers as new staff. ...And I do mean ALL staff." She glanced at Kozuke as she spoke, and slightly nodded at him. "Also, if that's all acceptable, we will be entirely transparent in our dealings. There will be no secrets. There has been more than enough of those in the past. How does that all sound?"

Not everything was up in the air, though. Not unexpectedly, the SPs had already chosen their futures. But, Divina wouldn't mind some transparency, especially after what she'd just offered. "I think I know the answer already, but...well, for clarity's sake, what was this vow, exactly?" Truthfully, she'd rather they stay here, especially if she was on the verge of informally taking over a house, and especially if Uprising was probably going to use them for...certain...tasks. But there probably wasn't any good way of changing their minds...and besides, taking on a new master was part of their newfound freedom. Just because she potentially didn't agree with some of their future activities, didn't mean she should deny them the happiness of doing so.
Initially, Kabuki seemed quite in favour of the proposal, albeit with her own concerns, but as Madama Sanguine began to address her, Divina's uncompromising idealism spoke up to shoot down the less-than-perfect plan wholesale. She curtailed her response to the actress in order to hear Divina out, though it was plain from her expression that if Divina thought her suggestion was less than ideal, the matron found Divina's counter proposal to be just as laden with problems. She grimaced softly, then put a hand to her lips, thinking. Her expression was no less troubled when she looked up towards the goddess again.

"It is... difficult. Trickery and deceit may be a very real part of the games that we play, beneath the surface, but those are very different things from breaking one's word, and here before all, you deal me a great very offence by even implying that I might do such a thing. It's clear that you do not even feel the slightest hint of shame for levelling a slander like that at me, even in front of everyone, regardless of the fact that I have been nothing but truthful and helpful to you and yours since you arrived in our community... it is just one more proof that you are unfit to operate in such a position of power amongst us, without fist gaining a better understanding of our ways." She paused, then sighed softly.

"But as I said, it is difficult... your ways are not ours, and though you come here, to our community, I still cannot hold you to them. It is by virtue of our traditions that you have gained the right to make a decision like this, which will affect so many... and yet you would benefit from our customs where it suits you, then turn around and demand that we all cast those same customs aside. Surely you see the difficulty in that?" She arched an eyebrow and tilted her head. "You may decide Kira's fate, deny him death's redemption and instead charge him to bear that condemnation in life... and you may assume control of him, his house and his people, with that action, but you do so only by virtue of our way of life... if you would change that so dramatically, then by what right do you claim to assume such a control in the first place?" She then gestured as though to wave that issue aside for now.

"There is more... you say on one hand, that change must come slowly, and that lasting change will take time, yet what you propose is a very large change, and you would do it overnight, in an instant, and expect others to comply; done as you propose, they will not. If we do as you say, Lady Divina, it will bring war, before it brings peace. Please, allow me to think for a moment." She lowered her eyes again, ducking her head and raising a hand to her face again as she contemplated. Either side of her, her fiery retainers glanced towards their matron then to one another, then finally to Divina. Kenmoete had already experienced a taste of Divina's "Everything Goes The Way I Say" attitude towards other people's cultures and opinions, and didn't seem surprised, though he remained cautious. His partner in arms, however, seemed quite shocked by the counter proposal.

While Madama Sanguine thought about a good way to smooth things over, Uprising stepped over to Divina, apparently deciding that now was as good a time as any to clarify. The SPs followed a step behind her, but despite the goddess directing her question at them, they seemed quite content to let Uprising answer instead. Chances were Divina had already guessed as to why that might be the case.

"They were intent upon this act being the last of their lives, and were insistent that their lives were condemned. I convinced them that if their lives were ordered spared, but they still felt that they were forfeit, then then they should forfeit them to me instead, and thus create new futures for themselves where they could continue to pursue justice for the common people, and fight wherever their strength might allow others freedom from fear, and the surety that their voices will be heard." By this point, Uprising had had enough dealings with Divina to guess that her dramatic words weren't quite going to satisfy the other woman, and she folded her arms, looking at the goddess sidelong.

"If you want it put bluntly... the oaths they offered were to me, and I have accepted them, and assumed each of their links directly, as their new Navigator. It is already done."

To the side, 'Eve' cast an eye to Kabuki, then leaned in to exchange a quick word with Kenmoete who nodded. She murmured something similar to her matron and bowed her head, receiving an assenting nod, before lowering her hands and letting the flames fade, then making her way over to stand by the actress. She grinned, and for a moment, something of the counter-girl they had met before shone through.

"Hi... We got off on an awkward foot. When I'm not working, I'm Fuukohan, the boundless sky." She offered a hand to Kabuki to shake, though her actions were subtle and her voice hushed; the real debate now appeared to be between her matron and Divina, but some of the things Kabuki had said seemed to have hung on her mind as the debate moved on.

"I wanted to say, as shocking as it is, I know that sometimes some unexpected fresh air can do good. Listen..." she bit her lip, then glanced round and rolled her shoulders. "I didn't want to do anything like that, at first, but Matron never insisted. She employs people who want to work the jobs they do, and who enjoy it, and she only asks that we each do or offer as much as we're comfortable with, you know? It took some time, but, um, I..." This time the soft blush was probably very real, given that she wasn't in her 'entertaining' uniform. "I've come to really enjoy my life here and the work I do. If I didn't want to do it, no-one would make me. Koushoku has ample wok to go around that doesn't need any of that... and even when we do work with clients... ah, you know... she takes good care of all of us, and we're perfectly safe. Whenever something comes up where she has to choose between our well-being, or a client's satisfaction, she always looks out for us first... I just didn't want you to worry." She seemed like she had something more to ask, though it caught on her tongue for a few seconds, and her eyes flicked over to where Kira was still kneeling in silence, head down.

"His... uh, his daughters... the girls you showed us. We've known about them, of course, but so few people have ever met them. I've always wanted... Uhm, I mean, well, you know, Matron, she'll probably marry Kira now, if your Lady allows it. It's all politics, but, she doesn't have time for being a carer, and I thought maybe I might..." While the girl fumbled her words, it was still probably clear enough that she was interested in looking after them, however things happened to fall out at the end of the day. Whether Kabuki thought that might be a good idea was her call, but the other woman's quiet murmurs to her cut off again as Madama Sanguine cleared her throat.

"Lady Divina... If you simply come in and take control, and impose your will upon the house, and attempt to further impose your will upon the other houses as well... that will not work. You will be fought at every step, and war will be brought to you, no mater your pleas to the contrary. The other houses must be appeased and respected, and you must do right by each of them if you want to create an enduring peace. You, or your regent, may know how to run a bath-house, but if that were all it took, then none of us would have anything to fear. I believe the difficulties may be overcome, however." With a small smile she gripped Kira's shoulder harder, and pulled him upright. The man had remained silent this whole time, and now he looked positively embarrassed to be standing on his feet again, and consequently towering above everyone else.

"I should still like to forge lasting alliance between our two houses, whether it is Kira's house, or yours. There are things that you must respect here, and you barely know half of them; perhaps then you would consider this: and advisor. You would assume ruling control of Kōzuke house, and be its benefactor. Kira would remain, bound to your service, no longer the ruler of his house, and without any power to act, but rather as an advisor who could effectively school you, or your regent, whomever you appoint, in the important ways of our community, so that you might guide the house as you see fit, without any of the disastrous mis-steps into bloodshed and violence that your lack of knowledge on our customs would surely bring. He is wise in the game of houses, though not nearly so cunning as he thinks, and he would be under your eye at all times in this way. He would remain as a visible figure of the house, yet bereft of any ability to cause problems. I would ask then, too, to send a representative from my own house to maintain ties with you, or your regent, and they in turn could watch Kira as well, and report to you if he strayed in his duty. I do not think it likely that he would, but in this venture, I would think it wiser to be safe. Remember, Lady, though you might enact a policy of full transparency for yourself and your new house, you cannot compel it of any others. They are their own houses, with their own ideals and ways, and they will not take kindly to anyone, especially an outsider, attempting to simply crush their culture with new rules. Please, accept this compromise, for all of our sakes."

She was still bargaining, though by this point it was hard to deny that the woman seemed genuinely earnest about wanting the best for the community; chances are she would prefer that Divina simply butted right out, of course, but since that wasn't going to happen, she was now trying a proposal more tailored to mitigate the amount of offence Divina's interference was liable to cause. Even so, it was quite clear that she was still simply requesting; Divina, Kabuki and Uprising were the ones with the final say, however much the matron might plead, and for now it seemed as though Uprising really didn't care what the other two decided for the district as a whole.

Though the actress and the goddess hadn't really taken any time to talk it over with each other first, seeing that they were in it together, it seemed as though those likely to make any further appeals to their decision had said all they could; whatever their ultimate choices were, they would simply have to abide it. their original employer seemed as though she was happy enough to make their exit whenever her allies were done.

The ways of a goddess were bound to be different than those of regular Joes and Janes, but it still surprised Kabuki how often her thoughts failed to line up with Divina's. This case was no different, and Divina had a drastic proposal of her own to offer counter to that of the Red House matron. With her pink eyes glowing, Kabuki turned her head this way and that to look between both parties, her vibrantly red, wind-swept hair fluttering in all directions as she did. Of course, just as it might have surprised her if Divina went along wordlessly with the proposal, similarly would it have shocked her if the Matron hadn't criticisms to offer about the counter-proposal, and those came in spades. Kabuki's hair faded back to black, along with the crevices of her body, as she adopted a thoughtful frown and put one hand to her chin.

"I understand why you'd take offense, Madama, but please, understand our position and why Lady Divina must be skeptical of all. I've met two different sources tonight who have told me that there is no righteous faction here in the district; one sources says that each holds an ideal in mind and that none can truly cooperate with the others, lest its to position themselves to increase their own power. Another source tells me that once ownership or ruling powers change, things same more similar than one might expect. While each of the houses holding a near equal share of power has been problematic, you see how it could perhaps be even more dangerous to let one hold the might of two joined houses over the others? A third party might, such as Divina's religion and its followers, might be just what the situation calls for, to make sure that the balance of power is not overly disturbed," she explained. "After all... We haven't heard from the other house heads tonight. On one hand, they might find the introduction of another party distasteful, but I would also be surprised if there was anything short of vehement disagreement at the thought of yours holding all of the assets of the previous largest power in the district in addition to your own."

After offering those points in favor of Divina's proposal, she turned to the goddess and crossed the sleeves of her robe at her lap. "At the same time, I think it's unavoidable that, at least, the operation and staffing of the new house be organized by Madama Sanguine here. She is armed with knowledge of the district's politics, presumably how to go about avoiding offense to the others in the district... something we're not so great at ourselves... and also, conventional knowledge of operating a bath-house," she explained. "Perhaps it would wiser to simply place one of your trusted disciples in the former Purple House as an advisor? I understand that's a common position here and one whose opinion is generally respected here. They could help guide things in the right direction without making this look like, and I'm afraid it otherwise might, a power grab by a growing religion. Whether that's the truth or not- I'm assuming it's not- but whether it is or isn't, I believe you'd be wise to snuff out that perception preemptively."

As much as she hated to admit it, this politicking in a factional environment was making her kind of excited, in a "this would be good material for a play script" sort of way, and her hair re-adopted its red color. "The UN~DER~LY~ING suggestion behind all that I've said to you both," she exclaimed, holding out a hand to each with her palms upward, bending first one knee towards the Madama, then switching to bend the other towards Divina, "is that it will be IM~POR~TANT to consider how this looks to the remaining factions as well. I believe that a house co-operated by Divina's faith, perhaps by means of the installation of an AD~VI~SOR, and your house, MA~DA~MA, would be useful, in that it would look less like a power-grab by either side. But I've spoken enough!"

Eve had been trying to get her attention, and having said her peace, Kabuki turned to the girl with a grin plastered to her face. The grin widened as Eve gave her true name. "Fuukohan, the BOUND~LESS SKY! What a heroic sounding name! Tis enough to re-open the wound of my age-old grudge against my CRE~A~TOR, who deigned to name me after my profession rather than, you know, offering me the name of a HE~RO from the plays of my profession," she giggled. She extended one strong arm and shook the hand of Eve excitedly. The girl's explanation of Koushoku was a welcome relief to Kabuki, who felt she could relax her worries over the fates of Kira and his staff somewhat now. It also painted a pretty rosy picture of the Madama, but Kabuki would be surprised if even Fuukohan knew everything about her. After all, with the environment the actress had been part of tonight and the people in positions of power that she'd met, one had to figure that a leader would need to get their hands pretty dirty to get into one of those positions.

More importantly, Fuukohan offered a very agreeable solution to the issue of who should have custody of Pikeru and Curran, so as to get them out of Kira's bad influence and into the care of someone who had genuine interest in caring for them. Kabuki was so taken back by Fuukohan's shy offer / request that tears began to well in the sockets around her pink eyes, before quickly escaping and becoming streams down her cheeks again. "Oh... OH MY BUD~DHA! You're so kind..." she sniffled, clutching her arms around herself. "It is not my place to say whom should be their CARE~TA~KER... well, anyone, so long as it is not Kozuke. But I would be honored and feel myself fulfilled if your LOVE and COM~PASS~SION could reach them! You have my full EN~DORSE~MENT, therefore!" Thus shouting, she spread her arms and then locked in a powerful embrace, squeezing the thinner girl's body tightly against her own and again threatening to suffocate another victim with her massive, barely restrained bosom.
Divina closed her eyes, and listened to the madam's response. While it was true that not knowing the customs could be problematic, the customs themselves did that as well. It seemed like no matter what she did, there would be bloodshed...and that was the very thing she wished to eradicate. "I can't completely disagree with that. But, look at what code-abiding trickery and deceit has resulted in. I would say it's only natural for me to be a bit wary about it all. Besides...I can't say I'm certain what the big problem is with assuming control of the house. The code of honor that binds this area is why I'm in the position to begin with, is it not? It would seem that, whatever path I choose, it would be accepted, even begrudgingly, am I right?" It might've seemed as though the goddess was playing politics with her questions, but her tone and facial expression both heavily hinted that it was just a genuine thought she had.

There was a break in the talks, so Uprising informed her of what those oaths meant. It was hardly surprising, but one thing did make Divina tilt her head in puzzlement. "...You can link with the SPs just like that? Hmm, I would've thought it a bit more...challenging." There was no point in lecturing at this point; the girl said it was already done and over with, and there was probably nothing she could say that would sway her from a violent path. "So long as it's what they desire, I do not object to it. Just...don't work them too hard, all right?" And considering what work meant here, she was really sincere about that last part. But, one thing was sorta bugging her. The revolutionary Navi didn't seem very interested in the discussions future of the area. It was starting to look like she had only been interested in the SPs from the beginning...nah. She wasn't acting the entire mission. It was a ridiculous thought, and one she was discarding right away.

"I think you misunderstand my intentions, at least by a bit. Immediate radical change, as you say, would only anger everyone, and create the atmosphere of violence I wish to avoid at all costs. A more passive approach would be necessary. More 'lead by example', as the saying goes. Creating a safe haven for all, filled with happiness...not only is it my vision, but if it draws in customers and becomes extremely profitable, would the other houses not seek to emulate the process? That's simply business sense. And I am not forcing anyone to adhere to a new philosophy. If anyone disagrees or simply wishes to leave, they are free to do so without fear of retaliation. If they wish to stay, we will welcome them with open arms." That said, the counter-counterproposal seemed much more palatable. Enough to get some second opinions, at least. "What do you think, Kabuki?"

She quietly listened, and after its conclusion, faced her lone remaining follower. "What say you? You know I always welcome your opinion."

"Hmm...I believe zis idea of un conseiller...is tres bien. I agree with what les dames say about it, and I also believe ze representative of ze maison rouge is wise. It is a first step towards ze maisons cooperating with each other, non?"

After closing her eyes for a moment to think, the goddess Navi turned back to Sanguine, and nodded. "I graciously accept your compromise. Though I do not care for it in the slightest, we will need to engage in politics to ensure the transition goes as smoothly as possible. Making Kozuke an adviser, as you say, will both allow us to keep an eye on him, and still allowing him to contribute. We will also welcome a representative from your house, though I would add the caveat that we would also welcome representatives from other houses as well, as a sign of goodwill and cooperation. After all, though our approaches may differ, our desired end result is the same: the happiness of our patrons. As long as we are in agreement on that statement, I see no reason why we cannot work together." Well, it looked like they were in as much agreement about things as they were going to. With that in mind, she turned back to the NormalNavi. "Contact SteamMan and his operator, if you would. They should be ideal for running this sort of establishment."

"Que vous le souhaitez, ma déesse!" He immediately opened a channel in front of him, preparing to follow her request.

She wanted the thoughts of one more person, though, and so she turned to the now ex-head honcho of the purple house. "What do you think, Kozu-no, I think the time for a last name basis has passed. Kira, code of honor aside, would serving as an adviser to us be acceptable to you? Your knowledge of local customs and such would be invaluable to ensuring a peaceful and joyous future for all, and we would be honored if you would aid us." Considering what he had done to her recently, it was almost amazing that she'd use the word 'honor' in reference to him ever again, much less later that evening. But more unfortunately, her desire to hear the words of the shamed man caused her to fail to notice Not-Actually-Named-Eve being suffocated by the well meaning but unaware of her asphyxiating abilities Kabuki...
As was often the way in reality, rather than epic plays and dramas, a certain amount of back and forth bargaining was often the only way to come to agreement where large powers were concerned. Each proposed their optimal, then made small concessions until they met somewhere in between. so it was this day, as Divina took the matron's suggestion on board, added some more modifications, and returned it to her again, and Madama Sanguine, in turn, tweaked even more subtly, and so so the negotiations progressed. In the break Uprising had offered only a small grin for Divina's surprise, and nodded

"Normally, it would have been a more complicated job, but I have a connection who could facilitate the process for us." She said no more, though her rather specific preparedness might lead a less charitable person to make assumptions about her just how specifically directed her motives were... Elsewhere, Fuukohan was embraced in the unexpected suffocating gratitude of Kabuki's 'thanks', and though she jerked with surprise at first, quickly calmed and accepted the embrace with good grace. She would just have to settle for holding her breath until the other woman subsided; for now the actress' overt enthusiasm and flamboyance was another one of those 'fresh air' moments that was less unpleasant than it first seemed.

When all was said and done, the deal was agreed upon by both parties, and the red house matron bowed low to Divina, spreading her hands to the sides and inclining her head. The Goddess would assume formal control of Kira's house and assets, and appoint a regent to run things in her absence. Kira would remain as a visible figure for the house, but would serve only as an advisor on culture and customs to the newly appointed SteamMan. When she rose from her bow, the matron cast her gaze across to where her other retainer was risking suffocation.

"Fuukohan. Will you stand as emissary in this alliance? You may speak both for Koshoku, and to the legacy of Taiyōtamashī, if you so wish. I believe Lady Divina and her regent will accommodate you?" She cast a raised eyebrow to Divina to be sure that she was willing to host emissaries from the other houses under her own roof. Fuukohan extricated herself from Kabuki's embrace and tried to regain some professional composure, enough to cross one hand over her chest and incline her head politely to her matron.

the final question was directed towards the former leader himself, though he still kept his head and eyes down towards the ground, and wouldn't look up to meet anyone's eyes. The others local to the area seemed understanding of this behaviour, but given how unabashed Kenmoete and Fuukohan were, being in the same foresworn state regarding their honour, it was likely that his broken state would pass in time. he did respond when Divina asked him a direct question, turning towards her, though still without raising his eyes.

"My life is yours to end or keep as you wish, Lady. I would redeem myself by our customs, but if you will not accept that, then I must serve you in whatever other way will satisfy." It seemed as though he strongly wanted to drop to his knees again, rather than stand above everyone else present, but Madama Sanguine still had a hand on his shoulder and was stopping him from doing so. It might not have been her place to do so, specifically, but at the same time, the woman clearly had a good deal of practice taking care of navis that felt they were in just such a state of condemnation, and coaxing them out of the 'death for honour' mindset. It was probable that curtailing some of those lesser automatic mannerisms was one of the first steps. She smiled again for Divina then turned towards the assembled crowd, still watching and listening on.

"Let it be known. All here have stood witness to this new accord tonight; it is the promise of we who stand before you that by our houses, at least, this haven in which we all shelter will be truly safe. You have recently learned of many dark truths of our home, but on this same night we will strive to end them." She then stepped back again, leaving the Focal point free if any of the others wished to speak to those that still gathered, though it seemed as though matters were now more or less well wrapped up. As she passed Divina, she paused to murmur something below the threshold that would carry to the crowds.

"I think you have gained more than you realise tonight, Lady. How many abandoned or orphaned navis do you suppose might turn themselves towards faith, when it happens to stand before them within their own haven? It is kind of your compatriots to allow this reap all to you, without insisting upon their share... though I think your rebel friend has won the prize she sought as well, no?" As long as no-one else had anything more to say to them, the matron of the red house took this closure as the right time to remove herself from the public eye, slipping away with both of her retainers following as soon as their own conversations were concluded.

When the last addresses were made, and the show was all over, Divina, Kabuki, Uprising, and their retinues, could safely leave the stage as well; indeed, they would be well within rights to retire back to the purple house itself, if they wanted, since the rights to it in its entirety had been passed. It would be a small break and a little while before Uprising found the right moment to speak to Kabuki and Divina privately again, but once she did with was with a soft grin and a sparkle of joy in her weary eyes.

"That went far better than I'd even dared hoped. Truly, I must thank both of you for your support, and your sacrifice this night. The freedom we have achieved here could never have been won without both of you, and you have both acted above and beyond the best interests of everyone." She turned one eye to Divina, her head turned to the side. "Jane thinks that you have acquired more than enough wealth tonight already, Lady Divina, but I'm sure she is joking. I had set aside a certain amount to share between any who volunteered, but after all you have both done tonight, even splitting the whole amount between just the two of you seems less than I ought give you in thanks. I've added some more to each of your shares, called in from a friend; I don't mind being a little out of pocket, when your help was so very worth it." Shuffling in one of the many pouches of of her pants, Uprising came up with a pair of small data crystals, each made to look like miniature mystery datas. She held one out to each of them.

"It's eleven, for each of you. It's as much as I could bring together, even calling a loan from my friend." Again that small shudder when she thought about her other contact. Though she hadn't said clearly, given the context, it would be safe to assume the 'eleven' referred to thousands of zenny, if they accepted the offer of payment.

Divina had some more uplifting and frankly idealistic things to say about a bathhouse co-managed by her religion, but in her current happy state, it all just sounded like good news to Kabuki. The goddess and the others appeared to be more or less getting along and coming to a satisfying solution. There was some talk of what each had one: Divina had a new bathhouse for her religion and Uprising had five new SPs, which would ordinarily take some serious GNA work to acquire, or so Kabuki had heard. Kabuki hadn't really thought of things in those terms, but thankfully, was not particularly perturbed now that she had. After all, Uprising had certainly had perhaps the greatest hand in saving those SPs and knew the sort of work they'd like to do, probably better than Divina did. And as for Divina's prize, well... she would be happy staying out of a bath-house for a good while, following this mission. "Oh right... I live in one," she reminded herself. It was too funny to stay mad about, though, so she placed a big grin back onto her face.

Uprising returned to the two of them once the talks were over and announced the mission's success, hailing it as a triumph of freedom, which caused the pink light in Kabuki's eyes to sparkle with mirth. "You are correct! We are all HEE~ROES!" she proclaimed with no sense of modesty, false or otherwise, raising her fist far into the air such that her robe temporarily drooped off of the opposite, bare shoulder. She quickly fixed it, as otherwise she'd be giving everyone a brazen display of nudity for the second (or was it third?) time tonight. Of course, if there was one thing better than heroism, it was richly rewarded heroism; having not been in possession of money of her own, to be used on herself rather than Yoshitsune, for quite some time, her eyes again glittered in their red sockets. "ARR~RI~GA~TOU! It is GE~NE~ROUS, perhaps too much so! I will have to repay you the favor, perhaps in the future!" she announced, giving Uprising a few bows in quick succession.

"Are you about finished, Sister?" Yoshitsune questioned, feeling increasingly uncomfortable as he ran out of conversation topics between himself and Hikari. "What's this... Oh! OH! My snack fund has increased tremendously!" the operator announced, sounding overjoyed.

Kabuki winced, then laughed and put on a well-meaning grin that still came off as slightly intimidating, as she squeezed her eyes closed and bared her sharp teeth. Her hair and crevices slowly faded back to black, along with her skin re-adopting its dark hue. "How about we think about putting that towards my upgrades instead? A-After all, the mission was just a tad dangerous, with so few ways to protect myself, dear Brother," she begged.

"I suppose you're right... I shall continue to fast, if that is what is needed to help you regain some of your power," Yoshitsune affirmed. "Are you ready to leave?"

"I think I am," Kabuki agreed, with some relief. The actress felt like she'd become so tied up in all of the district's problems that she'd begun to forget she wasn't a resident herself. "Thank you all for everything you've done today. Sayonara, till we meet again!" she finished, before jacking out from the net in a torrent of pink flames, the embers flittering beautifully like rose petals before fading out of the net. It was only befitting that such a theatrical person should have a theatrical exit.

((Jacking out))
...A 'connection who could facilitate the process'? She showed no outward sign of it, but Divina's heart was sinking a bit at that. It made it sound like Uprising had prepared for the possibility of the SPs joining her in advance, which only made those thoughts from before louder. But it was all thankfully interrupted as the agreement was completed. While the red house's matron bowed, the goddess chose to curtsy...not out of rebellion or disrespect, but she simply found it extremely odd for a woman, especially one of her stature, to bow. The emissary was then chosen, being the Navi formerly known as Eve. Accommodate? So, she'd be staying there? She didn't mind, but she did find it slightly surprising. "Of course that will be fine! I think I'll let you work out the specifics with SteamMan...but don't worry. He might not look like the friendliest of Navis at a glance, but he's extremely warm and hospitable. Knowing him, he'd give you the biggest bedroom in the entire place, and just sleep in a bottle! ...Regardless, it's an honor to have you." The word bottle might've seemed an odd choice to most, but she'd actually met him. A bottle was actually pretty apt.

Now, for the question she asked Kozuke himself. She wasn't in love with the answer, but...it'd do. "Very well. If serving me will ease your heart, then it's my sworn duty to make it so." ...That sounded odd, even to her, but it wasn't like she hadn't ever had servants. So eh. Now, she did want to address the crowd for a moment. She floated up, and waved her staff to make sure everyone was still paying attention. "I just want to say one thing...as the new person in charge of this house, I simply wish to let everyone know that we will strive to bring happiness to all who enter our walls. Not as one who has sworn to ease the hearts of all, or as the new head of management...but simply as someone who's seen and...experienced...quite a bit today. We will do all in our power to ensure inner and outer happiness for all!"

As she moved back to the ground, she got one last remark from the matron. Really, deep down, she already knew this would probably boost her number of followers. But she considered that gravy. The goal had been to ensure the safety of the SPs, and that had been a success. "Yes, I don't think any of us is wanting for anything after all that's happened." Really, everyone had gotten what they wanted. She had sought to save the SPs from an unjust fate, and wound up expanding her reach in the world. Kabuki had successfully fought for justice. And Uprising had...well, it was getting hard to deny it. She'd gotten five new soldiers. "Take care, all of you. I doubt we'll not meet again."

With that, it was time for the three (technically four, but the NormalNavi had already gotten out of the spotlight to set things up) outsiders to step aside as well. They did so, but while Divina kind of wanted to head back into the purple house, she had a sneaking suspicion that Kabuki wasn't keen on re-entering, so instead they headed elsewhere. Uprising addressed them, and the goddess silently smiled at the thanks. She still had that nagging suspicion, but she could deal with that in a minute. "Don't sell yourself short, Uprising. Were it not for you, it never would have come to our attention." Her smile widened a bit as the smaller Navi echoed her operator's sentiments; she didn't really disagree. "To be quite honest, I wouldn't contest that. But, it seems as though you truly wish to give us our previously agreed on reward...so I will not refuse it. I promise to only use it in the pursuit of aiding others." ...That said, it was rather a lot. Especially on top of everything else she'd gotten. "This much? Are you sure?" A rhetorical question, really. She could tell Uprising was pretty set on it. "Well, if you're okay with it."

"Lady Divina! I think this PET got damaged from steam...it says we just received, well, a large sum of money..."

Ah, Hikari was paying attention again. "Hello, Hikari. No, your PET is correct. We truly did receive that much. It's quite the story...once we get home, I'll tell you all about it."

"Really? I look forward to hearing it!"

...'Maybe you should temper your expectations', she really wanted to say, but it seemed like that'd be a bit of a buzzkill, so eh. Kabuki took her leave, and Divina happily waved as she did so. Somehow, she doubted she'd seen the last of her. As for Uprising...it was just the two of them now. Which meant that she could ask about THAT, and potentially get a true answer. "...I'm not entirely sure what freedom we actually achieved today. Safety, a brighter tomorrow, yes. But I don't truly see anyone currently being more free than before we arrived. Which brings me to my question. Please, be honest. Was securing the SPs for yourself your primary goal? If not that, it was almost certainly a secondary goal, what with you having prepared for it in advance. ...I'll note that you have no reason to lie, as I'm entirely powerless to do anything about it, regardless of your answer, even if I wanted to. So please, tell me the truth." She was fully prepared for both a yes or no answer. No matter what, she'd learn a bit about her mission requester.

...But no matter what, she intended to jack out after getting her answer. She had no more immediate business here. A ray of light from the sky shone on her, causing her to slowly fade into, or perhaps even becoming the light. It then all faded away, leaving no trace of the goddess Navi.

(JACKING OUT)
As the others took their leave, Divina managed to corner Uprising for a last serious question, and she smiled softly and inclined her head, eyes down for a moment. The girl showed no hesitation in answering, though, even with her new SPs standing behind her.

"I came to free these programs from the unjust oppression that would have seen their lives ended in waste, by simple mandate from a man in power. I suspected that they would each view their lives as already forfeit, and yes, Lady Divina, I assumed that in advance, prepared for it, and so hoped to convince them to live on by making the offer I did." She glanced back at her allies, then returned to the goddess. "It will not please you, I'm sure, but when Tera told me of the situation, I was prepared to assume their links whether they agreed to it or not, even if it was only long enough to ensure they lived to see one another again and the end of things. Thankfully it did not come to that..."

She hesitated for a moment, folding her arms over her chest. "You are an idealist, Divina, so I know we won't ever see eye to eye on some things. You would take the slow, peaceful path, passively winning hearts and minds to your cause... but while you bide, and seek change from within, others suffer. Yes; we will fight... to protect those who cannot protect themselves, for freedom from oppression and dominance... for the equal right of all voices to be heard the same. I am no-one's master, and they are no-one's servants; I might be their leader, but we are equals all; one voice to the chorus, no matter our standing." She shook her head and sighed.

"No, I don't think we will see eye to eye, Lady Divina... but I am no less grateful for what you have done here this night. Good fortune to you." When the time came, the smaller girl watched Divina depart with a calm, but neutral expression. When she was gone, she turned back to her new allies.

"So... If you're all coming with me to see something of the world beyond, how would any of you feel about a wardrobe change?" She grinned again and spun her banner, planting it with the anarchist flag catching the cold Yoka breeze.

((Mission concluded! FXP follows: Players may take or leave whichever they wish))

Divina Earned: +26 Kabuki.Exe FXP, +5 Uprising.Exe FXP, +1 KenmoeteMan.Exe FXP (Or 'Joel', if she'd rather visit him on the clock...), +2 Fuukouhan.Exe FXP (Or 'Eve', if she feels like making a work call), +3 MadamaSanguine.Exe FXP, +3 Muzaitora.Exe FXP ('Muse'), +8 KiraKōzuke.Exe FXP

Kabuki Earned: +26 Divina.Exe FXP, +9 Uprising.Exe FXP, +2 KenmoeteMan.Exe FXP ('Joel', if she's more interested in his 'other' burning sword), +3 Fuukouhan.Exe FXP (Or 'Eve' if she wants to see more skin), +4 MadamaSanguine.Exe FXP, +3 Muzaitora.Exe FXP ('Muse'), +0 KiraKōzuke.Exe FXP, +2 Pikeru.Rcv FXP, +2 Curran.Rcv FXP