Kina's (Unexpected) Journey

After an unknown mishap in SciLab, Kina found herself deposited in the middle of the ACDC network, located at the foot of a slope. The slope wasn't very steep, as some RockCubes were seen to be quite happily sitting on it. Not so happily sitting behind them were some Shrubby viruses, which ducked into cover as soon as they saw Kina's appearance. Sitting atop the Cubes were some Powies as well, which readied themselves to pound some hurt into the sudden intruder.

-- ENEMIES --
Shrubby A: 50 HP [behind cube A]
Shrubby B: 50 HP [behind cube B]
Shrubby C: 50 HP [behind cube C]
Powie A: 60 HP [on cube A]
Powie B: 60 HP [on cube B]

-- OBJECTS --
RockCube A: 200 HP
RockCube B: 200 HP
RockCube C: 200 HP

-- NAVIGATOR --
Kina.EXE: 90 HP

-- TERRAIN --
100% Normal

-- BATTLE 03, READY? START!! --
"... Ehh?" was all Kina could muster as she was suddenly... somewhere else. The Time Ring didn't displace position, right...? Wait, she didn't even go through a portal after that last fight ended, so that was moot. Her still-blue clothing proved that much. That displayed mystery data flashed just before this turn of events, so maybe... Wait. Kina turned around to face the steep hill, and there were half a dozen viruses camped on it. Uh oh. "Ummm... Eliza? Are you there?" Yes, trying to make contact with the Operator was a good idea. Nice work, Kina.

"I'm here, Kina! Tell me, where, and more importantly, when are you?!" shouted Eliza urgently, assuming some unprovoked time travel had just occurred.

"Erm... I'm in... ACDC Net, apparently. Oh! So that was just a teleportation trap in that mystery data." discovered Kina, who suddenly could make sense of all this. "And you don't have to time travel to warp on the Net, Eliza!"

"Oh... That's kinda disappointing." sighed Eliza. "I guess we should just take care of these viruses then to continue the experiment, then?"

"Huh? I thought it had to be in SciLab?" asked Kina in her confusion.

"Eh, I can work with what I'm dealt." shrugged Eliza, effectively hinting at how superficial this whole experiment procedure was. "Also, you need to watch out for those Shrubbies."

"Why? They don't seem that scary..." pondered Kina aloud as she observed the leafy viruses.

"They're Wood element. You were made Elec to power the Time Ring. Wood hurts Elec, a lot." explained Eliza.

"Of course it does..." whimpered a crestfallen Kina. "And I'm still sore from that Champu hitting me before..."

"We can fix that, Kina! It's time to test Present mode in battle!" announced Eliza happily.

"Oh... I guess that could work." nodded Kina as she expanded the Time Ring off her finger to stand full-sized at her front. "Ah... Excuse me viruses, but this will only take a moment!" shouted Kina as she dropped her visor down over her eyes. Really...? It must've been nice to be that unassuming about viruses. As the input wheel emerged on the Time Ring, Kina quickly hit the green portion of the hologram, triggering Present mode. "I guess just a slight acceleration will do..." mumbled Kina to herself as she spun the wheel ever so slightly clockwise. Once that stopped, Kina ignited the portal, which this time was green, unlike the Future mode's blue. Kina jumped through, and emerged with her blue outfit replaced with the green color of the Present portal.

"Did it work, Kina?" queried Eliza as she watched on.

"... Yeah, I can feel my repair systems moving at a faster pace than normal. Present mode's time acceleration worked." nodded Kina. "I don't think it can maintain itself if I get hit again, though..."

"That's fine, that's fine, we just need to keep you safe! I'll send you both of the Cannons. Maybe you can dislodge some of those viruses from their perches on the hill." suggested Eliza, offering up a better strategy than she probably realized.

"Okay, I'll do my bes... t..." responded Kina, before realizing she didn't have the battle experience of Future mode anymore. She still remembered how to use the chips, sure, but the Kina here in the present has only done that... what, once or twice? Before she could change her mind, though, Eliza had already sent the Battlechips through the PET, and Kina thus found herself with a bulky Cannon in her hands.

"Uhnn... I can hit a stationary block, right...?" grunted Kina as she lifted the first Cannon up, trying to keep her confidence high. Each Rockcube had an apparently dangerous Shrubby behind it, as well as a Powie on top. If she could just knock loose those blocks, the viruses would probably lose their height advantage... Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Kina hoisted the Cannon up against her chest, eyed the nearest Rockcube, and fired, trying her best to hit it square in the middle to propel it up into the Shrubby. Her accelerated repair systems continued their work as she reloaded, replacing the shell inside only instead of the entire weapon. "One more... one more..." chanted Kina quietly as she pointed the Cannon at the next Rockcube, before pulling the trigger just the same, trying to shoot the Rockcube up the hill and into the Shrubby behind it. Kina could only watch after that, backing away from the hill and hoping to avoid whatever may come rolling down...

Actions:
--IV (5 HP Regen) @ Self
1) Cannon (40 damage [A], Knockback) @ RockcubeA
--Rockcube (200 damage) @ ShrubbyA
2) Cannon (40 damage [A], Knockback) @ RockcubeB
--Rockcube (200 damage) @ ShrubbyB
3) Dodge
With Kina's recovery rates accelerated, she quickly healed the damage done by the Champu earlier (+10), and proceeded to shoot down some RockCubes with her Cannons. The results were a couple of flattened Shrubby. Of course, this didn't sit very well with its comrades, and the remaining Shrubby and Powies took action. The bush-shaped virus threw down a log, which was easy enough to sidestep, but the Powies leapt up into the air, and suddenly smashed down on the floor as they transformed into gigantic weights! Taken by surprise, Kina could not dodge one of them, and took a bit of damage. (20, IV Broken)

-- ENEMIES --
Shrubby A: DELETED
Shrubby B: DELETED
Shrubby C: 50 HP [behind cube C]
Powie A: 60 HP [in front of Kina]
Powie B: 60 HP [in front of Kina]

-- OBJECTS --
RockCube C: 200 HP

-- NAVIGATOR --
Kina.EXE: 80 HP [Cracked] [IV Broken]

-- TERRAIN --
90% Normal
10% Cracked
"Ow ow ow...! I was so focused on dodging the log, but then those big things come crashing down on me! Why couldn't you warn me about that, Eliza?!" whined Kina as she gingerly picked herself up off the ground. The impact from the Powie's attack disrupted the acceleration field from her Present portal, causing the green color to drain completely from her clothes, leaving them back at their default white.

"I didn't know they did that... I'm new to this Netbattling thing too, remember." muttered Eliza curiously after observing the viruses' retaliation. "Lemme just send you the other two chips and see if we can't get through this."

"...Yeah, okay. You don't want to use the Time Ring, though...?" responded Kina with another question, being quite surprised at her Operator's lack of scientific curiosity.

"Well... The Powies clearly aren't going to wait for you to establish another portal. Experiments need to happen in a controlled environment!" explained Eliza as she slotted her remaining chips into her PET.

"So you're basically saying this has gotten out of hand... This is why I don't like fighting! Too many uncertain elements!" moaned Kina as the Shotgun appeared in her hands. The remaining Shrubby, despite throwing a log at her earlier, stayed tucked behind its Rockcube in an act of self-defense. Little did the Shrubby know, Kina's gun was primed and ready to shoot clear through the object. Though she still lacked the sharpshooting practice of her future selves, Kina at least remembered how to fire the thing. The Cannons both hit their mark just before, so her spirits were high in hopes that this could work out too. With her left hand's index finger on the trigger, Kina steadied the barrel of the Shotgun in her right palm before firing, launching the round of ammo with a loud bang in the direction of the Shrubby and its cover.

And thus, Kina was down to one measly Battlechip for the rest of the fight. Its triggering was no discrete event, as the Time Ring squeezed itself down to a more practical size and snapped together a ringed blade around itself before flying back into Kina's left hand. "... Well, that really decides it on no more portals this fight." sighed Kina, wishing very much that the RageClaw didn't override the Time Ring like this.

"Hey, just because we can't time travel doesn't mean there's no science to be done! Maybe you can, like... uh... study the transfer of inertia between the Time Ring and the Powie when you hit it? I'm not really sure what kind of friction coefficients we're dealing with here." offered Eliza as a bit of nerd-friendly encouragement.

"Hmm... Okay, I'll just have my visor record the values on contact, then." nodded Kina, being the type of girl who could appreciate data collection. She slid her yellow visor down over her eyes to fulfill that plan, and charged at the nearest Powie as best as a girl could with only two prior battles of experience. With a heave, Kina swung her chakram around to try and hit the Powie in its side, propelling it forth and into its own ally. "... Hm? Wait, my swing force is only that many Newtons...?" muttered Kina as data streamed in front of her eyes. The resulting numbers were rather depressing when applied to her physical abilities, so rather than continue the attack, Kina just backed off sulkingly as she wait to try and avoid getting pounded by these things a second time.

Actions:
1) Shotgun (50 damage [A], Spread 1) @ RockcubeC/ShrubbyC
2) RageClaw1 (20 damage , Impact) @ PowieA/B
3) Dodge
Kina's shotgun made its way through the RockCube and successfully deleted the Shrubby behind it. The Powies, however, were much more nimble as it dodged Kina's chakram and seized the chance to smash the navi once more...

-- ENEMIES --
Shrubby C: DELETED
Powie A: 60 HP
Powie B: 60 HP [in front of Kina]

-- OBJECTS --
RockCube C: 150 HP

-- NAVIGATOR --
Kina.EXE: 60 HP [Cracked] [IV Broken]

-- TERRAIN --
80% Normal
20% Cracked
"Why did we have to battle-test the Time Ring... Just because I can fight now doesn't mean I should, right?" whimpered Kina as she struggled, after another hard hit from the Powie brothers. "There's nothing scientific about this..."

"Hey, Kina, getting depressed isn't going to help you through this at all!" exclaimed Eliza after seeing her Navi lose heart for this battle. She knew all along that Kina couldn't handle the unknown very well, and this situation only illustrated that problem. What Eliza had to do was provide Kina with data, so the currently helpless Navi could properly analyze the situation. "Okay, granted, the test of the Present portal didn't go well. Did not know that physical impacts disrupted the time acceleration field, but now we do know. You can't seem to dodge the Powies very well, either, so I think your best bet is to just go all-out and not give them a chance to retaliate. See? That's all the data you need to figure this thing out."

"I... guess so... Why shouldn't I just run, though...?" responded Kina uncertainly, still not feeling that thirst for battle despite now having a good idea of what to do.

"Um... Well..." stuttered Eliza, who did not want to admit that Kina's suggestion was probably more logical. "Okay! How about this? You beat those Powies, and I'll go buy the new Scientific Monthly for you! I know you've been wanting to read that article on compact particle accelerators." And so it came down to bribery. Nicely done, Eliza.

"Really...? You promise?" asked Kina, sounding like her Operator had finally caught her interest.

"Yes, I promise!" answered Eliza decisively, though inwardly she admitted that being able to pay for the magazine was... an issue. She'd cross that bridge when she came to it, though, so whatever.

"Okay...! I'm not going to take this anymore then, you Powies!" claimed Kina as she lifted herself up with Time Ring in hand, with the loose and cracked ground underneath her feet shift and clatter as she rose. The unstable terrain gave way as she went forward to re-engage the viruses, trying a second time to slam one Powie into another. Kina swung her Time Ring turned chakram at her primary target, applying the blunt side her weapon towards the side of the Powie and launch it into its own ally. Unlike her last attempt, though, Kina kept up the pressure, turning her chakram over to point its circular blade at the viruses. While she might've been motivated to attack, Kina still was not particularly experienced in that matter, so the best she could muster was wide, arcing swipes of her weapon at the Powies, once to the left for the first Powie she already attacked, and then back to the right for its brother.

Actions:
1) RageClaw1 (20 damage [b], Impact) @ PowieB/A
2) RageClaw1 (40 damage [b], Slashing) @ PowieB
3) RageClaw1 (40 damage , Slashing) @ PowieA
Kina grabbed one powie and tossed it at the other as it was leaping up, knocking it out of the air and causing both viruses to fall in a heap. After that, it was an easy matter to rage them both to deletion.

-- ENEMIES --
Shrubby C: DELETED
Powie A: DELETED
Powie B: DELETED

-- OBJECTS --
RockCube C: 150 HP

-- NAVIGATOR --
Kina.EXE: 60 HP [normal] [IV Broken]

-- TERRAIN --
80% Normal
20% Cracked

[Battle 3 - Victory!]

Get: 480z + Rollinglog1 Battlechip
"Haaahhh... I'm done..." sighed Kina heavily as she dropped to her knees, letting the highly-technical and delicate Time Ring fall to the ground with a loud clatter. "ACDC is supposed to be where the weaker viruses are, right? That fight proved that I'm not cut out to fight..."

"But Kina, that's the first fight you won without any help from your future self... I think. Chronological order's hard to figure out when time travel's involved..." said Eliza, before realizing that her encouragement may or may not be applicable to Kina's current timeline.

"I... guess...?" responded Kina uncertainly, who herself was now questioning if she was in fact the same Kina that had started this run on the Net. "... Ah, whatever, I remember everything that happened, that has to count for something. Can you jack me out now, Eliza?"

"Yeah, alright. We can battle-test Past mode another time. Ought to look up what kind of places have viruses better suited to you too, I suppose..." replied Eliza, while pondering her next course of action.

(Jack Out)