Seeking Lost Inspiration

((From here))

The beam of light cut through the sky like a blade descending from heaven. The light struck earth with the sound of steel striking steel and Durandal appeared in ACDC Net. The Navi glanced around, taking stock of his surroundings as his hand fell to rest on the hilt of his sword. Seeing no immediate danger, he relaxed and strode a few feet foward.

"Milady," the knight gazed at the sky above him as he spoke. His blues eyes seemed to be seeking out the young woman sitting alone at her desk. "I have arrived. Shall I venture forth?"

"Please," Katherine said. "Allow me to set the scene. Roland has entered a small farming village in search of Audriana. He has heard rumors of someone matching her appearance moving through the countryside around the village. Roland seeks to question the villagers about the rumors. However, a group of four bandits, obviously farmers lured by the promise of coin, has attempted to ambush Roland. He doesn't want to hurt them, but they may leave him little choice."

"I understand," the Navi said as his NetOp paused.

With his hand on the hilt of his sword, Durandal began his trek deeper into ACDC Net. Hopefully, he would come across a battle that would allow Katherine to gain the inspiration she needed to finish her current chapter and met her deadline.

((Battle 1 please))
Trudging across the wide open landscapes of the ACDC network, Durandal searched around for a battle worthy of his talents. As it were, a band of Metool stragglers noticed the swordsman, and its leader marched its companions to face the knight. They walked a bit slowly, and stopped a distance away from Durandal. They all already had their pickaxes out. The leader stepped forward, and lifted its pickaxe towards him in a challenging "Meep!".

... Maybe it would be challenging if that sound didn't make it look cute.

MetoolA: 40HP [Stepped forward]
MetoolB: 40HP [Back]
MetoolC: 40HP [Back]

Terrain: 100% Normal

Durandal.EXE: 150HP

-BATTLE ONE, FIGHT!!-
The Navi had been wandering through the net, seeking out a battle that would fit Katherine's needs. It wasn't long before he came across a squadron of three Metool, the small viruses with weapons drawn. The trio noticed Durandal almost immediately and came to a halt a few yards from the Navi. One Metool, perhaps the leader, stepped forward and offered a challenge.

"Hold friend," Durandal called out. "I have no quarrel with thee or thy kin."

He didn't, not really. Metool were, for the most part, harmless viruses. They were data miners and only a detriment to the server in large numbers or when working in concert with a more devastating form of virus. Some Navis were quick to battle; practically lusting after the thrill of combat. Durandal would not shy from battle, but he rarely initiated it.

"I do not wish to harm thee, but I shall defend myself if pressed." The Navi tightened his grip on his sword, displaying his intent. "If you let me pass, I shall move on in peace. I am in search of aid for my mistress and wish not to waste my time with pointlessness."

Durandal waited for the virus' response. His eyes scanned the group, judging the range of their weapons and estimating their combat prowess. If the leader pressed the issue, Durandal was prepared to evade the Metool's strike. He planned to lean back away from the swinging weapon, giving him the room needed to draw his blade. He would attack if needed, using his blade in an effort to disarm the leader. If he could loop his blade around the hook of the pickaxe, he could knock the weapon away and perhaps force the trio to yield.

Summary:
1. Negotiate
--If pressed--
2. Dodge
3. Attempt to disarm leader
The Metool in front didn't really care much about negotiations: it wanted a fight, and a fight it was going to get. Winding back its pickaxe, it threw its weapon straight at Durandal, which he only barely managed to sidestep before it lodged itself in the flooring behind him. The leader-Metool prepared yet another pickaxe to throw, but this one was deftly eliminated by Durandal's quick swordplay.

The other two Metools stepped back a bit to watch the drama and ate mental popcorn.

MetoolA: 40HP [Stepped forward, disarmed]
MetoolB: 40HP [Stepped back]
MetoolC: 40HP [Stepped back]

"Fool," Durandal spat as he parried the Metool's second pickax. "I had not wanted to bring thee harm, but thy actions force my hand."

The knight slid his blade beneath the hook of the virus' weapon and swept the sword in a circular chop that ripped the haft of the pickax from the Metool's hand. The weapon fell to the floor with a metallic clatter. Durandal brought his sword back to the ready and gripped the hilt with both hands as he positioned his feet in preparation for his counterstrike.

Durandal glided forward, sword snaking in a tight circle to his right before coming up in a diagonal chop. The tip of the blade sailed a mere inch from the ground, the strike meant to catch the Metool before it could hide beneath its helm. The Navi twisted on the ball of his foot, pirouetting as he strafed around to circle the Metool. Durandal brought the sword back down in devastating overhead smash meant to cleave the overturned Metool in twain. He brought the sword back, hilt held poised near his face with the blade pointing parallel to the ground. Durandal thrust his sword forward, finishing his dance by attempting to pin the virus to the floor.

"Now," the Navi spoke with a soft menace to the remaining viruses. "I have no wish to harm thee. Allow me to pass and I shall leave without malice. However, if thou, like thy comrade, wish to continue this battle, I shall oblige thee with deadly force."

The Navi widened his stance, preparing to dodge away if need be. If the Metools wished to avenge their fallen comrade, Durandal was ready to avoid their counterattack and riposte with a strike of his own. He felt a small surge of energy wash over him as Katherine uploaded a BattleChip into his systems. He silently thanked his NetOp as he knew that if this came to battle he would need his lady's aid.

Summary:
1. Allegro (20x3 damage, slashing, multi-hit) to MetoolA
2. Negotiate to get other Metool to leave.
3. Prepped Dodge
A surprised squeak came from the two other Metools as the front one was quickly eliminated without delay with some fancy swordsmanship. A short while passed while the other two Metools looked up at the swordsman Navi in what you could call shock. Quickly, they fled, leaving a pickaxe and some zenny packets behind, probably as an attempt at assuagement.

MetoolA: DELETED
MetoolB: FLED
MetoolC: FLED

-- BATTLE 01, AVERTED! --

-- REWARDS --

[ShockWave] Battlechip
180 Zenny
Durandal bent down to scoop up the viruses' offering from the ground. It glanced over the small pile of zenny before examining the battlechip data. Katherine only had access to the bare minimum when it came to an arsenal. Any new battlechip would offer a potent advantage.

"Milady," Durandal called out. "While it is regrettable that one of the Metool had to lose its life, we have gained a small amount of coin and a new weapon for our arsenal. This will aid us on further journeys."

"Yes, no doubt." Katherine agreed. "And while that fight wasn't quite what I had in mind, it did give me a few ideas. Let's continue on and see what we can fine."

"As you wish, milady."

Durandal sheathed his blade and continued his trek deeper into the network.

[Battle 2, please]
((Bump))
Moving on through the network, Durandal went in search of some inspiration for his operator. His short walk did not last long as he happened upon a curious sight. Two beings of fire stared down on each other with floating fists at the ready atop a circular raised platform, with an old stove-like object with eyes watching lazily from the sides. They seemed to ignore Durandal for a bit, before the stove virus noticed his presence, alerting the boxers. The Champu turned, looking down at the swordsman, and one of them gestured to him with its glove, motioning for him to step up to the platform. Perhaps it was issuing a challenge of some sort?

-- ENEMIES --
Champu A: 60 HP (platform, left)
Champu B: 60 HP (platform, right)
Old Stove: 50 HP (to the side of platform)

-- NAVIGATOR --
Durandal.EXE: 150 HP (near side of platform)

-- TERRAIN --
40% Normal (Circular Raised Platform)
60% Normal (Everywhere else)

-- BATTLE 02, READY? --
"You see to be quite popular today," Katherine spoke through her microphone while observing the situation. "Perhaps something in your manner is enticing these people into initiating combat?"

"The strong seek out the stronger Milady," Durandal quipped. "Though, I do not believe that thou needs to witness a boxing match for thy newest tale. Shall I continue on?"

"No, accept the challenge. If these creatures are anything like those Metools, they will just attack regardless of your actions. These three seem to be a touch above the Metools in combat capabilities, so perhaps I will gain some inspiration for a later chapter."

"As you say, Milady. I shall advance and accept the challenge. Besides, what harm can a friendly bout do?"

The Navi eyed the two Champu standing on the platform. They were obviously pugilists, though he didn't know if they practiced the standard form of boxing. He had interrupted a match of some form, though he couldn't tell if it was merely sparring or an official bout. Perhaps the stove-like virus was a trainer or referee.

Durandal made sure to keep his hands away from the hilt of his sword, though still within reach of an easy draw. He didn't want to seem overly aggressive as he approached the platform. He pulled himself onto the raised ground and looked from one Champu to the next before focusing on the one who had issued the challenge.

"So, thou wants to test thy skills against mine own? So be it." Durandal stated.

The saluted his opponent and waited for the virus to make the first move. He was wary of the other two viruses, but he wouldn't attack them unless they made the first move. If this was truly a friendly match, then he would acquiesce without offering true violence in return. He widened his stance, prepared to move at a moment's notice. He wanted to start by gauging the skill and the intent of his opponent. He waited and watched, seeking some sign of movement from the virus that would signal its attack.

Summary:
1. Movement - Approach and climb to platform
2. Watch viruses/prepped dodge
3. Prepped dodge
As Durandal stepped onto the platform, the Champus faced each other, chattering in their viral stutters. One nodded to the other, and teleported off the platform next to the stove virus. The one that remained on the platform faced Durandal, and went into a fighting stance, readying its fists. The stove virus on the side watched the two for a bit, then blasted a gout of fire skywards. This was apparently the start of the battle, as the Champu lunged towards Durandal with a quick one-two. Unfortunately, the swordsman did not manage to evade its first punch, which landed on Durandal's left shoulder, but the second one was dodged successfully. (10)

-- ENEMIES --
Champu A: 60 HP (platform, middle)
Champu B: 60 HP (to the side of platform)
Old Stove: 50 HP (to the side of platform)

-- NAVIGATOR --
Durandal.EXE: 140 HP (platform, middle)

-- TERRAIN --
Durandal accepted the hit to his shoulder with little comment. He focused on observing the Champu, attempting to match the virus' movements so that he would be able to dodge the next assault. His opponent was fast, capable of moving at high speeds and delivering a hefty one-two punch combination. Durandal was a trained swordsman, not a boxer. Without a blade in his hands, he wasn't sure if his regular strength was going to be enough to drop his opponent.

"Don't worry," Katherine spoke over their private line; her reassurance coming as though she had read his mind. "I have just the thing to even the odds. I am sending you the RageClaw battlechip."

Durandal grunted in response. The RageClaw was an augmentation battlechip that caused blades to grow along the tips of his steel gauntlets. It also enhanced his strength tenfold to enable him to lift and throw objects far beyond what he was normally capable of. Indeed, it was just the thing to even the odds in a duel such as this.

He could feel the battlechip data flooding through him now, surging forward from his core to his fists. As the energy washed over his arms he felt a sudden increase in strength, the muscles beneath his armor tightening in contraction before expanding quickly. The armor over his fists hardened and he saw the claws beginning to form along his fingertips. He willed them to retract, blades sliding back over his fingers to rest between his first and second knuckles. He wouldn't need the claws in this battle, just the strength granted by the battlechip.

Durandal advanced, hands raised in a neutral guard with his left protecting his temple and his right protecting his jaw. He eyed the virus, trying to predict the creature's actions as he closed distance. Durandal tested the virus with a quick jab with his right, his fist shooting forward in a lightning fast strike. The Navi stepped forward with his right leg as he drew his arm back and unleashed a powerful hook with his left. His left fist slammed forward, seeking the right side of the virus' head in what he hoped would be a knockout blow.

Summary:
1. Dodge
2. Improvised RageClaw Jab (Not sure what damage/effect this would do.)
3. Improvised RageClaw Hook (Same as above.)
The Champu wasted no time in continuing its flurry of attacks, striking with another pair of punches. Durandal easily managed to avoid the first, then struck with a fist of his own...which landed square in the path of the second burning punch, causing both some pain. Or at least, that's what would've normally happened. The RageClaw managed to protect the Navi's hand, preventing the heat from reaching the knuckles proper. His second punch provided the knockout blow, with the Champu dissipating as it landed on the platform.

While not especially pleased at the handy defeat of its partner, the second boxing virus moved up for its turn. Strangely, it moved right in front of Durandal, then gently tapped its fists against his in a show of sportsmanship before floating towards the back. However, it didn't seem to completely head back, instead settling into a backish area.

The OldStove belched more flame, signaling the start of Bout 2. Hopefully the judges had new scorecards ready. Even though they didn't actually exist.

-- ENEMIES --
Champu A: Round 2 KO
Champu B: 60 HP (platform, middle-ish)
OldStove: 50 HP (to the side of platform)

-- NAVIGATOR --
Durandal.EXE: 140 HP (platform, middle)

-- TERRAIN --
Durandal grunted as the first of the Champu fell to his left hook. The RageClaw had done its job and allowed the Navi to compete against the boxing viruses. Now he just hoped that they would hold up for the next engagement. He tapped gloved with the next Champu and the next round began.

Durandal dashed forward, closing the gap between him and his opponent. He decided to start things off strong and unleashed a haymaker directed at the tip of the Champu's chin. He knew the virus was fast and doubted the blow would be enough to lay it low. Durandal backpedaled, guard raised to protect his head, in order to avoid a counterpunch. As he moved back, the Navi threw out another jab in an effort to break up any combo the Champu might try.

Summary:
1. Improvised RageClaw Haymaker (40 to Champu)
2. Dodge
3. Improvised RageClaw Jab (40 to Champu)
Starting the second part of the duel, Durandal lunged for the first strike, but didn't manage to land anything, as the Champu dashed towards his side and landed a powerful double blow to his side. (10x2) Trying to leap away, Durandal got in again and threw a jab, which barely managed to hit the Champu before the virus went into a defensive position.

-- ENEMIES --
Champu B: 20 HP (platform, middle-ish)
OldStove: 50 HP (to the side of platform)

-- NAVIGATOR --
Durandal.EXE: 120 HP (platform, middle) (RageClaw 2/6)

-- TERRAIN --
"Tch," Durandal muttered as his jab barely made contact with the fleet Champu.

This opponent was obviously more skilled than his predecessor. The Navi would have to be on his toes if he wanted to avoid anymore of the Champu's rocket punches. He kept his guard up as he backed away from the virus and began circling around the platform.

"This guy is good," Katherine echoed her Navi's thoughts. "You'll need to watch his movements to anticipate his punches and counter with your own. At least, that is what my martial arts reference book said."

Durandal nodded to himself. He wasn't sure where his lady had learned enough about boxing to give advice, but her words were sound and mirrored his own thoughts on the matter at hand. He kept his gaze on the virus in front of him, looking for any sign that the Champu was about to strike. He tightened his fists within his RageClaw strengthened gauntlets, preparing to make a strike of his own.

Durandal waited to make his move before lashing out with a powerful left cross. The punch was aimed at the Champu's head. He took a step with his left and then shotgunned his right fist into a gutpunch.

Summary:
1. Observe Champu's movements
2. Improvised RageClaw Cross (40)
3. Improvised RageClaw Body Blow (40)
Durandal made a lock on the Champu's movements, each warrior keeping a close eye on each other while the Oldstove made its way toward the knight.

Durandal made the first move, lashing out with his rageclaw, causing the flaming boxer to teleport right in front of the knight....

...where he shotgunned his fist into it, sending it flying and dematerializing into thin air.

...The Oldstove was getting closer.

-- ENEMIES --
Champu B: UPPERCUT'D
OldStove: 50 HP (moving to middle of platform)

-- NAVIGATOR --
Durandal.EXE: 120 HP (platform, middle) (RageClaw 4/6)

-- TERRAIN --
"Whew," Durandal breathed heavily as the second Champu vanished. "He was more skilled than I had thought. A most worthy opponent."

The Navi raised his fist to his chest in a brief salute to his fallen opponents and then turned to glance at the third virus. The OldStove was approaching him from the edge of the ring. He kept himself from tensing, though he was unsure of the virus' intentions. With luck, the virus would merely congratulate him. At worst, the virus would seek revenge for its comrades and Durandal would be forced to put it down.

Durandal glanced at his gloves. The black steel was coated in soot and parts were warped from the heat from coming in contact with the Champu's fiery bodies. It wasn't painful, but the RageClaws were spent and all but useless. If this came to a fight, he would need to draw his sword to have a chance in battle.

"They were worthy opponents," Durandal said to the virus as it approached. "Quite skilled in their field. I commend them and their trainer." The Navi held up a hand to the OldStove, an offering of peace.

He wanted to leave this platform without fighting the virus. He had no real reason to. However, he knew that most viruses were unpredictable and he was ready to take action if the OldStove attacked. He planned to dodged to his right and keep moving, circling around the virus to leap from the platform and gain distance from the fiery creature.

Summary:
1. Offer hand in mutual respect
2. Prepped dodge to the left if attacked
3. Prepped dodge to jump off platform if attacked
((Bump))
((More bump))