Brain Teasers!

Simple! Quantum Theory and Mechanics can easily explain this! Sadly, I know neither, and am therefore forced to rely on Star Trek Voyager reruns for my logic.

Since the reaction could precede the action, nothing would happen. So he'd have stopped hisself from doing it then, but he'd still have the money from it now. And, of course, the two differing realities would branch off from each other from that point.
Actually, the robber, if he changed it so he didn't rob the bank, his reality would cease to exist and the reality of his past-self would be put in jail. It's all branched out on the Demensional Plane really...

Quote (Jcc28)

Based on what Common had, I figured this.

A=1
P=4
L=5
E=3
S=0
G=1
R=0

However, he really deserves credit becuase if he hadn't posted his stuff, I never would've thought to approach the problem like that.

It works, but is it the answer that was being looked for?

correct!

also about the time machine robber, that would be how it goes...

unless its how the timeline works in DBZ in which every future exists, but you can't change any of them. so if the robber went back in time, gave the money, and returned, he'd still be under arrest, just without money...

plus if the money whent back in time, all money has a bar code on it, and if checked, would be considered counterfit and destroyed...
Not neccisarily. It could have numbers earlier.

At any rate, the whole time travel thing...

Now, before I start, I'm not saying time travel is impossible. In fact, we may even be capable of it now, perhaps even naturally.

Time travel will never happen, for one reason, and one reason alone: Lack of reason. WhatEVER reason you'd want to go back in time, say, for example, you want to stop Abe Lincoln's assasination. You go back, tell Abe to duck, BAM! He's saved. Now, the time line will change, and by the time it hits you, Your life's memory will change, and you'll never think that he ever got assinated in the first place, so you wouldn't want to go back in the first place to save him. Hence, he would be killed, and everything will change back to normal.
OBJECTION!!!!

actually, the time line would change based on where the objects in question are made...

for example, if you try to be ironic by killing someone with a weapon they invented, you would have to use a weapon from he made from BEFORE the time you plan to kill him. like if....

guy_who_makes_rifle_born-----------rifle_invented------rifles_mass_produced------guy
_dies_naturally---------present day

if you killed the guy before he makes the rifle with a common rifle that was produced in modern times, the gun would dissapear, and the damage undone...

(kill_parents)guy_who_makes_rifle_born(x)-----------rifle_invented(x)------
rifles_mass_produced(x)------guy_dies_naturally(x)_-----(get_rifle)(x)----
present_day(x)=fail/paradox)

this would cancel itself out, thus stopping the chain of events. you could fix this by writeing a note to yourself before you do it and doing delayed mail(ah la back to the future 2) thus you would then have knowlage of the chain of events and could do it uneffected...

the only thing is you have to write the note completly from items found in that time period. if you have ink or paper from your time, when you're 'erased' any ink or paper you had with you would dissapear with you, however, since the paper/ink is from that time period, it is unnefected by the 'time snap' because the ink and paper exist seperate from you, and since it the message can't be unwritten, you don't lose your message/it can be delivered. plus you can tell your future self to rewrite + resend the letter when you are erased and he goes back.

the proper way to kill someone in time is....

guy_who_makes_rifle_born------(3_write_message)-----rifle_invented----
(4_kill_him_here_with_prototype/2_buy_prototype_at_funeral)--
rifles_mass_produced(X)------guy_dies_naturally(X)---------
present_day(1_recive_letter_and_go_back)(this stays, cause the prototype/letter was never destroyed)

this way the rifles arn't made inmass, but you have the original/prototype, so it/its bullets aren't erased. you have the letter written, and your reciving it is what makes you come back in the first place, so you rewrite it and remail it with the same instructions so you recive it.

play the dos game 'journyman turbo' it tells you how to assainate in time...

the main problem that people forget is that when you go back in time, you've alrady gone back in time and done/tried to do your mission. there was a movie that had a team of acrhiologists go back to medival europe to find a friend, but when they go back they find out they have been digging up their own graves...
Nah

The world would bluescreen.
That totally didn't make any sense, Naix. Half of your examples proved my theory, anyway.
Hmm.

Blue Screen of Death.

Red Ring of Death.

Microsoft products seem pretty deadly. And colour-coded.
Actually, if you went back in time to stop something from happening, it'd have already happened, making the future outcome of you not NEED to do so. Thus, the present-past you disappears and alternate-future continues. So just because stopping something in the past makes you not have a reason to, doesn't mean that you didn't change the past. Your past-self won't exist.

Quote (Shadow.exe)

Actually, if you went back in time to stop something from happening, it'd have already happened, making the future outcome of you not NEED to do so. Thus, the present-past you disappears and alternate-future continues. So just because stopping something in the past makes you not have a reason to, doesn't mean that you didn't change the past. Your past-self won't exist.

thank you, that's what I ment...
I'm studying Quantum Physics for fun. Abe's assasination was a variable. There's two types of time. Variables, where nothing is pre-determined, and inevitabilities. Obviously, you could stop Abe's assasination by simply FALCON PUNCHing John Wilcox's mother when he was pregnant, or simply taking the bullet. Now the first one would effect Abe to the extent that you'll still be alive in the alternate future. If you take the second option, the inevitablity, you're past will die. Saving Lincon, but you won't survive in the future. It's all very fun to think about.
>_>...

I will come up with a way to create a paradox someday...

(unchecks from his list of impossible-to-do's)
the answer to mine was this: nothing.

Quote (Shadow.exe)

But, you see...

Steve kills George Washington, altering the future.

Either, A.) This results in Steve never being born.
B.)Steve is a drastically different person.
Or, C.)Steve becomes unchanged.

Now, assuming that BSteve is different enough to warrant not going, and ASteve doesn't exist, then no one exists to go back in time to kill Washington, hence, he doesn't die, reverting the time line back to normal.

Now, I'm arguing for CSteve. If, say, I grew up my entire life understanding that Washington died at, say, Trenton, I wouldn't want to go to Trenton to kill him myself. But, oh! If I don't go back to kill him at Trenton, he won't die at Trenton, and normal time is restored.

It's an infinite loop implying that time travel can never result in anything.
Did you not read my other post? You wouldn't HAVE to go back to kill George Washington if you ALREADY DID. That's changing something in the future. Not the past. Changing the past makes the present you disappear, the alternate present you not remember doing it. And because it already happened you don't need a reason to go back. Now going and changing something in the future cannot be reversed unless you go before you arrived and change some important fact. The past-present you will not change the future, but you'll still have changed the future.
But if you DON'T go back, he DOESN'T die.

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

But if you DON'T go back, he DOESN'T die.

If you DO go back, and save Abe, it'll have happened. Making the future you not NEED to go back to do such.
And if I don't need to go, I won't, and then who will tell him to duck?

See? This is EXACTLY my point. It's a circular paradox. You're only furthering my point.

If I could time travel, I'd go into the future and steal a bunch of futuristic video games and consoles, and come back to the present with them. Why'd you want to kill someone who's already dead anyway?

Quote (SpaceMonkeySteve)

And if I don't need to go, I won't, and then who will tell him to duck?

See? This is EXACTLY my point. It's a circular paradox. You're only furthering my point.

After the first time of telling him, you won't need to. The past'll have been changed and you won't need to go back to change it anymore. It's not a paradox because if you change the past, you won't need to go back and change it again. You'll have already done it. I'm not furthering your point, I'm arguing against it. You can only make circular paradoxes with inevitabilities, and future travel.