Pvp

Would it be too much to ask if people had to PM the mod their replies to reduce pvp metagaming completely?
I see no problem with that. It's not really too much to ask if you ask me.
One oddity would be that battle threads would consist of ridiculously long replies from the mods posting both entries at the same time and then the result.
That would look weird, sure, but I think this is a good point that's been raised before. I'd support implementing this system. My only big concern with it would be that it might run into problems with in-character dynamics if the competitors' actions are too wildly deviant from each other in what they expect and plan in the way of traps. It could make for more interesting battles, though, and I'd expect more balanced as well.
I think that's why we're not supposed to RP what we do but rather what we want to do (I find this really hard). If you RP too far and something happens that you don't expect/dictate and you fail, how can you complain?

"I didn't write that"?

But if that sort of thing happens, that means that the anti-metagaming is working.

Can pvp mods change post contents? You could have the mods paste the appropriate RPing into placeholder replies to make it look more fluid but that's just more work.

I was also wondering what the reward for pvp battles are. Do all players get something after or just the winner or neither?
Wait, I'm still on vacation?

Meh, I can still fling two cents across a provincial border.

This'd also fix the old issue of the use of trap chips in PvP. Now, it might of already have been solved... I really wasn't paying attention. But if we're PMing the full replies, people won't need to mess around with triple question marks, which would betray the trap chip anyway. I mean, any metagamer with anything more than a horse's ass for a brain can tell that if their opponent has one trap and just used a "mystery chip..." Well.

I'm all for it, so long as the colosseum mods are willing to take on a little frustrating and repetitive work.
I'll go for it. Should make for some interesting battles.
umm, heres a possible way for PVP and trap chips to work?

You can put it as a dodge but PM the mod to tell them it is not a dodge but a trap chip?

Just a thought
YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD! <shot>

Quote (RevivedSin)

YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD! <shot>

Hey it's better than the GX series. 'I throw down a face down!' when you place a card and 'Reverse card open!' to play a trap. Oh, and a counter trap is 'I play Reverse of Reverse'. Also, only the engish dub sucks. Because it's done by 4Kids. Its like what they did to One Piece, Tokyo Mewmew, and more.

In the Japenese Origional (so much better it's capitalized), the charecters are more developed, there are guns, Kiba has shot people, blood, violence, an actual plot, and deep touching moments that don't involve card games. Also, Yu-gi's parents apear on screen.

Quote (commondragon)

You can put it as a dodge but PM the mod to tell them it is not a dodge but a trap chip?

Just a thought

Nah, that's purposely misleading.

I think the PM style will work pretty well. Anyone else?

Quote (Demonstar)

Quote (commondragon)

Just a thought

Nah, that's purposely misleading.

I think the PM style will work pretty well. Anyone else?

Not exactly too misleading. Unless u play well enough, your oppoenent might find something ifshy going on with your extra dodge, and take caution.
When we say 'trap chip' do we mean anti-somethings?

They're hard to implement because folders are public. As soon as someone notices there's a trap, they just look in your file and see what you have and can metagame around it.

You could make ALL your dodges suspicious to fake out your opponent but then there wouldn't be that ominous "???" to tell you that there is indeed a trap.

We have to consider what we want.
1. That you know there's a trap and when it's set - (??? in effect on the turn it's activated)
2. That you know there's a trap but NOT when it's set - (??? is always in effect and set by a dodge)
3. That you don't know there's a trap or when it's set - (An attack that missed on purpose sets the trap, no ??? effect)

EDIT - What if, in pvp, anti-effects were randomized? Even if you use anti-elec, a random number generator is used and it changes to something else (or the same thing if you're lucky/unlucky). You know there's a trap and can't metagame it because you don't know what's being blocked. The person using it will be PMed what it is although I don't really see what good it would do.
Proposal:
Have two versions of the "Anti" chips.

ANTIELEMENT: Mods use a 5# RNG to determine what element this chip will block: Null, Fire, Aqua, Elec, or Wood.

ANTIABILITY: Mods use a 3# RNG to determine what type of attack this chip will block: Subtype Ability, Sig Attack, ??? (Can't think of a third).

Sound good? In the battle, the person would obviously be PM'ed by the mod with the result of the RNG, but the other person would be left in the dark.
AntiChip as the third perhaps?

Anyways, I personally think pm'ing the mods your entire posts would be silly. Sure, the turns are suppose to be simultaneous, but having absolutely nothing to go on when rping your own post might be a bit too hard.

So, why not just the summary? Sure, it isnt as anti-metagaming as the whole post, but it would make the mod's work significantly lighter.