Dash Attacking

Moving swiftly onward in pursuit of more data, Skye and Ray got a few more minutes in of gleeful speeding and soaring before they happened upon a small scene, not far to their right. They were in a hilly part of the network, but down in the valley between a few of the gently rolling slopes, a collection of large rock slabs had been moved together to form something of a makeshift cave, with three leaning inward, supported by a fourth flat chunk of rock on top.

The valley floor looked sandy, while the tops of the hills were covered in verdant green grass. Of note aside the scenery, there was a large teddy seemingly napping inside the precarious-looking shelter, while a group of two Swordies, each with a more-or-less obedient Spikey gathered at the top of one hill, looking down in its direction. Swords were being used to wave and gesture as a discussion went on, but just as they seemed to reach some kind of a conclusion, the Spikeys began to bark and spit small flickers of fire, looking up in Skye's direction. The Swordies looked as well, and turned to each other uncertain. One gestured with its sword up towards the new arrivals, while the other pointed down towards the bear in the cave. They didn't look to have made up their minds entirely yet.

-=Viruses=-
Swordy-NSwordy-N (Swordy-N)

Area: ACDC, Kotobuki Town, Netopia

HP: 60
Primary Attack Damage/Effect: 20 Null + Long Range Attack + Slashing
Primary Attack Accuracy: B
Primary Attack Description: When this virus is 2 panels away from the target, or its enemies are 2-deep, it will attack with Long Sword.
Secondary Attack Damage/Effect: 15 Null + Wide Range Attack + Slashing
Secondary Attack Accuracy: B
Secondary Attack Description: When this virus is standing directly adjacent to its target, or diagonally from it, it will attack with Wide Sword.
Element: Null
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): Sword, Zenny
Special: Sword-N's are immune to Sleep Status.
Special: Uses Area Grab to get into attack range.
A: 60Hp [Grass][Not far from the 'cave']

Primary Attack Description: When this virus is 2 panels away from the target, or its enemies are 2-deep, it will attack with Long Sword.
Secondary Attack Description: When this virus is standing directly adjacent to its target, or diagonally from it, it will attack with Wide Sword.
B: 60Hp [Grass][Not far from the 'cave']
SpikeySpikey (Spikey)

Spikey viruses are a little faster than the average virus, allowing them to cover more ground than normal with movements and dodges. They may attack while moving, but as normal, they cannot attack while dodging without expending a second action to do so. Spikey viruses are also able to use something called 'pack tactics' when 3 or more of them are present. Simply put, the Spikey viruses attack and dodge as a wolf pack. In addition, they are treated as having a reduced power Haste and Accuracy Enhancement effect which grants them a +5% bonus to evasion and accuracy while this effect is active. The effect is passive, and only expires when their numbers drop below 3.

Area: ACDC, Kotobuki Town, Yumland, Netfrica, Hades Isle

HP: 90
Attack Damage/Effect: 15 Fire + Spread 1
Attack Accuracy: A
Attack Description - Fires HeatShot
Element: Fire
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): HeatShot, Zenny
Special: Uses pack tactics when with at least 2 other Spikeys
A: 90Hp [Normal][In front of Swordy B]
SpikeySpikey (Spikey)

Spikey viruses are a little faster than the average virus, allowing them to cover more ground than normal with movements and dodges. They may attack while moving, but as normal, they cannot attack while dodging without expending a second action to do so. Spikey viruses are also able to use something called 'pack tactics' when 3 or more of them are present. Simply put, the Spikey viruses attack and dodge as a wolf pack. In addition, they are treated as having a reduced power Haste and Accuracy Enhancement effect which grants them a +5% bonus to evasion and accuracy while this effect is active. The effect is passive, and only expires when their numbers drop below 3.

B: 90Hp [Normal][In front of Swordy B]
TeddyTeddy (Teddy)

Area: ACDC, Yoka, Okuden Valley, Yumland

HP: 100
Primary Attack Damage/Effect: 20 + Slashing
Primary Attack Description: Tears at an enemy with its claws.
Secondary Attack Damage/Effect: 10 + Impact x 2 targets
Secondary Attack Description: Picks up and throws one enemy at another.
Tertiary Attack Damage/Effect: (Varies) + Impact
Tertiary Attack Accuracy: B
Tertiary Attack Description: Picks up and throws an object at an enemy.
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): RageClaw1, Zenny
Special: Will only use its secondary attack if there is more than one enemy. Will only use its tertiary attack if there is an object capable of being thrown.
: 100Hp [Sand][Inside the 'cave']

-=Navis=-
Skye 'n' Ray: 100Hp [Normal]

-=Terrain=-
70% Normal
  • No effects.
[Most of the area]
10% Grass
  • Wood Elementals get +5 HP/action.
  • Fire attacks: +100% Source Damage, change terrain hit to Soil.
  • PanelShot: Imbue Wood.
[Small area a short ways out from the cave]
10% Sand
  • -20% Evasion and reduced movement speed to all.
  • Can Burrow as standard action, incurable Blind1 until turn after exiting Burrow.
  • Wind attacks: +100% Source Damage + Blind1, change terrain hit to Normal, trigger Sandstorm for 3 turns: Lose 5 HP/action, Blind1, Fire attacks gain Slashing.
  • Fire attacks: Change terrain hit to Glass.
  • Terrain changes between Sand and QuickSand do not inflict damage upon burrowed entities, nor do they eject burrowed entities to the surface.
  • PanelShot: Blind1.
[Small patch around the cave]

-=Objects=-
Rock Slab A: 60Hp [Sand][Part of the 'cave']
Rock Slab B: 80Hp [Sand][Part of the 'cave']
Rock Slab C: 120Hp [Sand][Part of the 'cave']
Rock Slab D: 40Hp [Roof of the 'cave']

-=Battle 2, Start!=-
The scenery seemed to shift, as Skye and Ray entered a somewhat less suburban area of ACDC's net. The Navi was confused, but the Fishy seemed unperturbed as it looked around...perhaps he'd been here before? "How strange...I never knew a place like this existed in ACDC Net."

"Are you sure you didn't accidentally soar over to Okuden by mistake?"

"I...am pretty sure we're still in ACDC. We've probably covered more ground than a typical Navi, though."

"I guess in that way, it makes sense that you'd be more likely to pop into a less tread area."

"Yes, it would-oh!" The soon-to-be Virus Rider felt her mount slowing down, and she quickly saw why: viruses. "We're no longer alone!"

"Fine by me. If they want to pick a fight with you, we'll make sure it's the last mistake they make!"

"..." Skye tilted her head, slightly puzzled at the fact the viruses weren't immediately preparing to strike. "I...I'm unsure if they really want to fight."

"Seriously? You're a Navi, riding a virus. I'd think they'd want you guys especially dead."

"I think this time, it may well be our own decision."

"...Okay. So, do you wanna fight 'em?"

"A true Virus Rider does not fight for vanity's sake. They fight only to defend themselves and others. I think if they're willing to let us pass, we shouldn't seek out conflict." The mounted Navi motioned with her reins, essentially showing her Fishy what she intended to do as well as telling. He responded by turning on his jets...and launching the pair up into the sky. While they wouldn't reach any cyberclouds, they'd be quite high up before he stopped. Skye nearly did something else with the reins, but found herself momentarily paralyzed by what she now saw. "Wow...look at that view!"

"Aw, that's pretty! But, you're not exactly closer to that data by doing that."

"No, we are not. But if we're lucky, they'll be more apt to let us pass if we're high up and not posing a threat."

"So, you want to move on, even though a lot of people would say it's a Navi's job to delete viruses?"

"Yes. They seem passive, so I don't see a pressing reason to skewer them. If they don't attack us, I say we let sleeping Teddy lie." As she recalled, the awake viruses had ways of getting to her if they wanted to badly enough, so she couldn't let her guard down, even this high up. Still, she reined Ray to move forward, and hoped that the viruses were of a similar mindset as herself.

[Order of Turn:
1-Fly up to High Altitude
2-Get out
3-Of here
4-Right now]
After a quick survey and a brief discussion, the decision was made to leave this particular collection of viruses to go about their business, whatever that may be. The brief argument between the Swordies continued as Skye and Ray climbed higher, with one continuing to indicate towards her, while the other seemed adamant about focusing on the teddy below. As the pair flew away, the Spikey that had been barking in their direction for the past few moments released a streaking fireball up towards them, but the virus-riding pair were too quick and were already clearing out of their reach.

-=Battle 2, Escaped!=-
The fireball caused Skye to tighten the grip on both reins and lance, but by that point, Ray had too full a head of steam, and she elected to simply allow him to continue. "That Spikey's a bit lucky. If it'd fired earlier, I might've turned around."

"You don't have to waste time and energy fighting it, at least."

"Mmm, that data is our top priority. I'm getting really strong readings from its signal, so we're not far at all. Though, I imagine it's closer to the ground, since this is supposed be a test for any Virus Rider recruit." With a tug on the reins, the Fishy started to lower his altitude.

"For any recruit? But, can't they all fly?"

"Of course not. There are plenty of viruses that can't fly."

"That's true. I guess it's just that I've only seen the two, you and WyvernMan."

"He's told me a little about a couple of the others he used to work with. Like one that rode a Lark with unparalleled grace, and rained death with bow and wave. Or one that rode a Magneaker, and between sword, bomb, and speed, they could defeat a foe before they could take a single step."

"Sounds a little embellished to me. Then again, WyvernMan doesn't really seem like much for tall tales, so who knows?"

"I have no reason to doubt him, and neither should you. But those are the types of stories I hope he'll be able to tell about Ray and I someday."

"Maybe one day, Skye. Maybe one day."

"I know, Netopia Town wasn't built in a day. We must continue to hone our skills." With that, they were now back near ground level, with Ray's body parallel to the floor. "In essence, that's what this test is about. Locate your target, pick your battles, and it's an easy task. Get too reckless, and you'll struggle."

"Speaking of the test, can you see the data yet?"

"Not yet. It can't be much further, though. Keep your eyes peeled, everyone." Navi, operator, and virus all began darting their eyes around, trying to locate the piece of data they'd come for. Skye and Ray, however, were also being careful to notice any potential fights that may yet come between them and success. It was entirely possible that they weren't in the clear just yet...

(Searching for Battle #2)
Moving on, the pair continued to search for their goal, but it wasn't too much longer before more viruses showed up in the places they were searching. Between the gently rolling hills, another group came into view. This one was led by a small tank, being ridden by a spooky. It seemed to be directing the tank to search in different areas, while just to one side of it, another Swordy was poking around, with the aid of another Spikey, who spent as much time dripping flames on the ground around it as it did sniffing and searching.

As Skye and Ray drew close, however, the Spooky turned and looked up to notice the, and immediately began gesturing rapidly for the tank to turn around. It rotated in place and launched a shell upward at the pair, though it detonated harmlessly in the air to their left. This group, it seemed were far more determined to stop anyone else finding whatever it was they were searching for.

-=Viruses=-
BeetankBeetank (Beetank)

Beetank simply wander the battlefield, constantly shooting bombs at any and all foes. They prefer attacking to dodging. They have one passive movement per turn.

Area: ACDC, SciLab, Kotobuki Town, Netopia, Yumland, NetVegas

HP: 80
Primary Attack Damage/Effect: 15 Null + Blast 2
Primary Attack Accuracy: C
Primary Attack Description: Launches a bomb that explodes in a small radius.
Secondary Attack Damage/Effect: 15 Null + Blast 2 + Small Area Cracked Terrain
Secondary Attack Accuracy: D
Secondary Attack Description: Launches a bomb that cracks the terrain underneath its explosion.
Element: None
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): MiniBomb, LilBomb, CrackerBomb, Zenny
: 80Hp [Normal][Directly ahead]
SpookySpooky (Spooky)

Area: ACDC, Yoka, Okuden Valley, Kotobuki Town, Netopia

HP: 30
Attack: 10 Null
Attack Accuracy: B
Attack Description: Teleports up to the opponent and slaps with its long tongue.
Possible Rewards (Per Virus): Recover10, Recover30 (Rare), Invis1 (Rare), Zenny
Special: Can teleport at will.
- Can use Recover 30 on any virus below 1/2 HP
: 30Hp [Riding the tank]

B: 60Hp [Normal][Right of the tank]
SpikeySpikey (Spikey)

A: 90Hp [Normal][In front of Swordy]

-=Navis=-
Skye 'n' Ray: 100Hp [Normal]

-=Terrain=-
100% Normal
  • No effects.
[Rolling Hills]

-=Battle 2, Start!=-
Sure enough, there happened to be another group of viruses. and more aggressive than the last, to boot. Ray slowed down as he and his Navi neared, who wasted no time in readying her spear. "We probably could race by them, but if we don't, I'm pretty sure they'll cause trouble for the Net. And so, fight we sh-eh?" For a moment, Skye looked off into the distance, something having caught her eye. "Hey, I think that's the data!"

"Great. Beat up these guys and you're halfway there!"

"And beat them up we shall!" But now came the eternal question...how to do so? They weren't lacking in potential options. ...But the soon-to-be-Virus Rider could sense her mount's rising desire. The need to race at top speed at, and through, his enemies. It was a desire all Fishy had, but thanks to their bond, it tended to stay buried deep in his heart. And what was deep in his heart, was also in her heart. "I know what we need to do first, Mei. DashAttack!"

"Making Ray do the work this time? Surprisingly lazy of you, Skye." Ah well. She knew which chip was DashAttack quite easily; only one of her chips had the same virus her Navi rode on. And...in. "BattleChip, DashAttack! Slot in!"

While the chip data went to Skye immediately, she just as quickly trasnferred it to the Fishy beneath her legs. His eyes grew large for a moment as he realized what was going on, then looked at the viruses. Almost instinctively, his jets began to go full force, as his gaze shifted quickly from virus to virus, trying to decide which to go after. Luckily for him, his rider made a gentle motion with her reins, telling him to aim a bit to the right. And so he turned, focusing on forming a line with the Spikey and Swordy, and raced forward. Being fortified with chip data, nothing would stop him from his deadly jet tackle attack. Any foe in his path would be pierced and traveled through as though it didn't even exist. And shortly afterward, it wouldn't exist. But even though it only lasted for a few moments, Ray found the effect of the chip wearing off, and slowed to a stop. His rider could immediately notice something different: his body felt slightly more relaxed. She smiled and gave him a quick pat on the head. "That felt good, didn't it? You've been wanting to do that in a real battle for a while, haven't you?"

"I know Navis and humans aren't exactly the same, but it's always amazing that you don't get whiplash from things like that..."

"You haven't seen anything yet. C'mon Ray, let's get a better vantage point!" A tug of the reins told the Fishy all he needed to know, as he turned to face upwards at a certain angle, and jetted forward once more. This time he wouldn't knock anything out of existence if he rammed into it, but he eventually came to a stop high above the battlefield...and nearly directly above the Beetank riding. "You know, that Spooky looks as though it's riding a Beetank. Not so different from us, in a way...but it's being too reckless, so we need to bring it down."

"Well, I just got a nice, ironic idea for that. And you don't even need to really do anything else. BattleChip, LilBomb! Slot in!"

A blue sphere formed in the Navi's free hand, as she peered over the side of her Fishy ride. Since he wasn't perfectly lined up, she wouldn't need to do anything on the front. Just make sure there's no Fishy wing in its path, and...drop the ball. The highly explosive ball, which could eradicate either virus just like that. Once it hit the ground, as opposed to its name, the blast was decently sized. Big enough that it was hard to tell offhand what might still be alive. But the two were ready to dash out of the way of anything that might head up there. Pretty much all of the viruses had some way of getting an attack up where they were, though, so vigilance was extra important...

[Order of Turn:
1- DashAttack1Damage: 90 + Impact + LineAttack(5) + Movement
Accuracy: C
Description: The user charges forward at a great speed to ram a line of enemies. Hits a maximum of 5 enemies before the momentum is lost.
Duration: Once
Special: Direction of travel may be altered with chip, terrain, and sig use.
Trader Rank: D
on Swordy-N and Spikey
1a-Overclock subtype effect on Skye (+50% base evasion, line of sight range for next Movement)
2-Fly above Beetank (Movement) (Overclock applied)
3- LilBombDamage: 80 + Blast 2
Accuracy: C
Description: Lobs a bomb that deals damage in a moderate range.
on Beetank and Spooky
4-Dodge]
Once they chose to engage, Skye and Ray took to cleaning up the searching viruses quickly. The first attack was the virus-mount's own traditional signature move as they dashed towards the smaller pair in a rush. The Spikey barked as they raced in, letting off a small bolt of fire just ahead of them, but even though the minor blast grazed and singed the pair, it wasn't enough to deter their attack and they burst through both the dog and its Swordy handler in one line before arcing skyward again.

Their rapid motion led the tank's next explosive shell to detonate in the air behind them, unable to track with the pair, and in a moment they were in prime bombing position to drop an explosive payload of their own onto the remaining viruses. As the smoke cleared, tank wreckage was all Skye could see initially, but just in time she caught sight of the ghost virus, appearing alongside her with its tongue waving in salivating retribution. It seemed to have warped up as the bomb dropped, and escaped the blast. It tried to slap Skye with its tongue as payback, but the virus-rider was able to keep both herself and her mount away from its inappropriate licking. The spooky began to drift rapidly back to the ground, not quite falling, but certainly not able to hover quite as high as this.

-=Viruses=-
BeetankBeetank (Beetank)

Beetank simply wander the battlefield, constantly shooting bombs at any and all foes. They prefer attacking to dodging. They have one passive movement per turn.

Secondary Attack Description: Launches a bomb that cracks the terrain underneath its explosion.
: DELETED
SpookySpooky (Spooky)

Attack Description: Teleports up to the opponent and slaps with its long tongue.
: 30Hp [Behind Skye, drifting downward]

B: DELETED
SpikeySpikey (Spikey)

A: DELETED

-=Navis=-
Skye 'n' Ray: 85Hp [High Altitude]

-=Terrain=-
100% Normal
  • No effects.
[Rolling Hills]
It wasn't entirely smooth, but Skye found her attacks working...for the most part. Luckily, she noticed the sudden appearance of the Spooky, and with a swift motion with the reins, she managed to get Ray to jet forward, and get out of the way of the incoming tongue. As he slowed down, she looked over at the virus, pondering how to handle it. "Hmm. How should we handle this?"

"We could do pretty much anything...oh, I know! There's a chip I have that I've been wondering about, and now's a good chance to see what it does!"

"Sure, why not? So long as it doesn't involve anyone losing any clothes, I'm up for it!"

"...Say what? There are chips like that?"

"...No, I'm just being paranoid. Go ahead!"

"All right..." Granted, after that last mission, Mei completely sympathized. And with that sympathy in her heart, she grabbed a chip with a picture of an odd looking Mr. Prog. "BattleChip, RingZap2! Slot in!"

First to her left, then to her right, two sparks began to spin around the Navi. And...that was about it. "...Is that it?"

"Hmm. And that's a version 2? Wonder why Ariel kept it?"

"I honestly couldn't say...actually, wait. I see...I understand now."

"Great, mind sharing with the rest of us?"

"These sparks are designed to linger for a while, and are designed to have a weak opposite charge as me. So, if something draws near, they'll go after it until it gets some distance between us. Like...so!" One rein motion later, Ray started to lower his altitude, and move in closer to the slowly falling Spooky. Once they occupied a similar air space, one of the sparks would go a bit off course, in an attempt to shock it. He would keep going down at the same rate, and allow the zapping as many chances as possible to kick in.

"I guess I can see how that'd be handy. But is it really us?"

"Probably not, but as long as it's a weapon in our arsenal, might as well make the most of it." By now, Skye wasn't even bothering to hold her lance up. She figured that the electricity surrounding her was all the attacking she'd need to do for now. ...Hopefully.

[Order of Turn:
1- RingZap2Damage: 40
Accuracy: B
Description: Two sparks spin around the user, which damages anything foolish enough to draw near.
Duration: One turn
Element: Elec
Special: Damages anyone that gets within melee range of the user, regardless of why they're that close.
Special: This chip automatically attacks every action, starting with the action the user first uses it.
Trader Rank: C
on Skye
2-Get and stay in melee range of Spooky
3-Get and stay in melee range of Spooky
4-Get and stay in melee range of Spooky]
While the Spooky drifted slowly downward, attempting to get its bearings, Skye and Ray were much quicker in zipping back around to harry it, with a new chip activated and sparking away. The ghost tried to keep up with them for a moment, spinning about, tongue extended, but the pair shocked it into data before it could manage any attacks. A scattering of junk data remained behind, along with something of slightly more note which had endured as the remains of the Spikey, below, crumbled away around it.

-=Viruses=-
BeetankBeetank (Beetank)

SpookySpooky (Spooky)

B: DELETED
SpikeySpikey (Spikey)

A: DELETED

-=Navis=-
Skye 'n' Ray: 85Hp [High Altitude]

-=Terrain=-
100% Normal
  • No effects.
[Rolling Hills]

-=Battle 2, Victory!=-
Spoils: 450z, HeatShotDamage: 40 + Spread 1
Accuracy: A
Description: Shoots a fireball whose explosion penetrates an enemy to hit another one directly behind it.
, 14 BugFrags
As it turned out, electricity was mightier than tongues, and the last virus exploded without further incident. Skye spun her lance over her head before pointing it forward in celebration. "A shame you didn't get the hint. If you had accepted your loss and retreated, I'd not have had to do that."

"Killing ghosts, huh? Maybe it thought it was already dead, so it didn't need to worry?"

"Hard to say. It's difficult to know the thoughts of a virus...that's partly why the Virus Riders were so renowned way back when."

"Working together with what looks like a mindless killing machine...it definitely comes across as impressive. I've seen the whole process with you, and I'm still not totally sure I get it."

"To an extent, that's not the right way to look at it. Ray and I didn't get close because I thought about him. I felt. And before we knew it, we were best of friends!"

"True enough. Although when I do that, sometimes I end up waking up in a bed I don't remember getting in, naked and hung over, with a guy I've never seen before."

"Yeah...I love Ray and all, but some things are never, ever happening." The Fishy slightly dipped, giving the appearance of him nodding at his Navi. "Well, guess I should do my job and scoop up all the remaining data." Which was simple enough. "Money, those BugFrag things we seem to be getting all of a sudden...ah, and chip data, as well. Data signature matches the Spikey."

"So, that's..." ...HeatShot? Stats were...kinda gross. "Lame. We could've gotten a bomb, or a sword, or...whatever a Spooky gives you. Something that lets you lick things?"

"Eww. I'd much rather have a HeatShot than that. Though, there's another flame I'd rather have. Come on, Ray!" A motion sent the Fishy speeding down to the ground, then leveling off and speeding off into the distance, until it was no longer the distance. And more importantly, a small floating fire was now directly in front of them. "No mistaking it. This has WyvernMan's data signature." She reached out, grabbing it.

"Whoaaaa now! Grabbing fire is usually a bad idea if you're not fiery yourself, you know."

"I know, it looks like fire, but it's not. Completely harmless."

"So, I guess we need to find the other one now?"

"Of course. But, it might be wise to jack out and regroup first."

"I don't think it's really necessary, but sure. Jacking you out."

In a beam of light, Navi, virus, and fiery looking data all vanished from the Net.

(JACKING OUT)