Getting Schooled

Via the usual beam of pink light, Martia arrived in DenTech Area. She took a quick around, but didn't seem overly impressed by it. "Huh, I would've thought this place would look more...more...what's the word I'm looking for?"

"School-like?"

"No, that's not it...I guess I just thought it'd look more like the actual DenTech, and not like a regular part of the Net."

"I think you were expecting a little too much...anyway, how far are you from the archive?"

"It's a ways from here, I just hopped on the first link I found to the DenTech server. That said, it's not so far that we won't be all night or anything. I think, anyway."

"Well, we're here to train as much as anything, so it sounds good to me." Leslie was already starting to practice grabbing a chip from her collection and slamming it into her PET's insertion slot as she spoke. NetBattle training wasn't just for the Navi...well, unless you were Lyn or a Navi in a similar situation to her, in which case you kinda were on your own. "And don't worry, I'm here for ya!"

The martial artist Navi looked back at her operator and smiled. She had a feeling she knew why she'd said that, and if she was right, it was the very reason why she'd never develop operator envy towards Lyn, even if her current one ogled her from time to time and was frequently denser than dark matter. "Thanks...that's one thing I've learned today. I should never take you for granted!" No matter what happened in battle, she could rest easy knowing that someone had her back. And with that thought at the forefront of her mind, she began to proceed, keeping an eye out for if and when that would become important.

(Searching for Battle #1)
Blocking Martia's path was a large floating beetle with a large metal crescent moon attached to its head. Splotches of magnetically charged terrain lay behind it, randomly placed. It looked like the floor gave way in those areas, exposing the paneling beneath. A Bunny was basking in the glow of the farthest panel. A buzzing sound came from nearby as a giant bee carrying a honeycomb dropped down from the sky and landed near the giant beetle. The buzzing sound from above disturbed the Bunny's reverie and it turned toward the sound, eyes red.

-Viruses-
Bunny: 50HP [Magnet] [1 Move Action Distant]
Boomer: 60HP [Rang-Guard] [Normal]
HoneyBomber: 110HP [OmniShoes] [Normal]

-Terrain-
60% Normal
40% Magnet [Four scattered splotches of 10%]

-Navi-
Martia.EXE: 250HP [Normal]

~Battle 1: Start!!~
As Martia expected, it didn't take all that long for her to attract some virus-based attention. The Bunny and Boomer looked highly familiar, but...was that a hummingbird carrying a honeycomb? That was wearing a hat, no less? That was just weird..."Well, here they are...and I really don't think they're the type to listen to me if I tried to make a truce."

"Ass kicking it is, then!" Hmm, HoneyBomber, HoneyBomber...that didn't ring a bell. Still, honeycombs were pretty flammable in reality, so maybe burning them was a good idea? Granted, in the cyber world, logic didn't always work that way, but it couldn't hurt. "Okay, here's the plan. I have a gut feeling that bird/honeycomb...thing won't handle Fire really well. So, let's just burn them all up!" And now, for the only two chips she needed to send over to ensure that strategy would work...both of which looked identical. Which just made things even easier. "BattleChip, FireHit! Double slot in!"

Both of the virtual martial artist's hands were covered in a fiery aura, which intensified as she clenched them into fists. She reared back, and let loose with a punch that hit nothing but air, causing a fist-shaped fireball to be launched, which raced over towards the virus that both operator and Navi would agree was a bit odd, to say the least. The Navi then joined in on the racing, and dashed over towards the boomerang wielding clothespin. And then, right past it. Or so it looked for a moment; as soon as she was behind it, she spun back around, delivering a right haymaker to the Boomer from behind. Hey, boxing was a form of martial arts, too. And using her momentum, she twirled back around again so that she was facing her last untargeted foe, and let out another air punch, causing a long distance fire punch to be fired. She was fairly confident that her barrage was adequate, but if she had managed to miss even one, she was probably in a bad situation to avoid it. And perhaps even worse, she hadn't yet noticed that she'd let her guard down, even slightly. Hopefully all the virus remains were forming into reward data about now, or else she might find herself with some stinging pain...maybe even literally.

[Order of Turn:
1-FireHit1 chip attack on HoneyBomber (60, Fire, A+, Impact)
2-Get behind Boomer (movement)
3-FireHit1 chip attack on Boomer (60, Fire, A+, Impact)
4-FireHit1 chip attack on Bunny (60, Fire, A+, Impact)]
Floating like a butterfly, stinging like a bee (and not a hummingbird with a bowler hat), Martia flaming punched the HoneyBomber into deletion. Then she ran through electric rings and boomerangs, and phoenix-punched the other two viruses into deletion. Leaving only scorching remains and money.

-Viruses-
Bunny: DELETED
Boomer: DELETED
HoneyBomber: DELETED

-Terrain-
60% Normal
40% Magnet [Four scattered splotches of 10%]

-Navi-

~Battle 1: Victory!!~
Rewards: 450z
As it turned out, going back to the fiery basics proved highly effective, and the only thing Martia had to be startled about was how fast she'd taken out the enemy. "Wow, things actually went right for a change!"

"...Are you honestly surprised you did a good job? Because that what this looks like to me."

"Well, not really...I guess a little? You know the saying, 'a battle never survives first contact with the enemy'?"

"I guess when you put it like that...but c'mon, you can't get surprised every time things go right! You're not new to this!"

"I know, but...I dunno, maybe I'm overreacting to it a little." After giving her head a good shake, the fighter Navi gathered up the cash left from where the three viruses had both stood/floated/flown. Wasn't a whole lot, but considering how little effort she had to put in to get it, she couldn't really complain. "You know...you ever wonder why money appears after you delete viruses? Are they literally made of money? Is someone rewarding us for doing it? It's kinda weird when you think about it..."

"I dunno, I've never really thought about it...and besides, if that's all we need to do to make some extra cash, I'm completely fine not knowing!"

"Well, it's not important. It's just something I think about every so often after a battle!" Hmm, maybe she could look that up once she reached the database, too. But, she still had a ways to go, so...onward!

(Searching for Battle #2)
Martia moved on and found a small data cluster. Several data pillars let off a faint light as the surrounding solar panels provided power. A few of the pillars were encased in spider webs. There were also a pair of spiders climbing around on the webs. Two statues with big stone heads and green auras also floated around outside of the solar islands, turning to the Navi as she approached. They looked about ready to accelerate and smash into her with their giant floating heads.

-Viruses-
SpidyA: 80HP [Solar] [On DataPillarC] [North-West]
SpidyB: 80HP [Solar] [Near DataPillarE] [West]
Megalian-WA: 130HP [OmniShoes] [10HP Wood Aura] [Normal] [North]
Megalian-WB: 130HP [OmniShoes] [10HP Wood Aura] [Normal] [East]

-Objects-
DataPillarA: 100HP [Solar] [North]
DataPillarB: 100HP [Solar] [North]
DataPillarC: 100HP [Solar] [North-West]
DataPillarD: 100HP [Solar] [West]
DataPillarE: 100HP [Solar] [West]
DataPillarF: 100HP [Solar] [East]

-Terrain-
40% Normal
60% Solar [Each Data Pillar is surrounded by 10% Solar Panels]

-Webs-
DataPillarC and adjacent Solar panels
DataPillarD and adjacent Solar panels
DataPillarE and adjacent Solar panels

-Navi-

~Battle 2: Start!!~
It didn't take Martia too long before discovering some pillars, which...kinda just stood there in the middle of nowhere. She looked around, but didn't see anything that they could be connected to. Weird. "Well, that's a weird place to put some pillars..."

"Think maybe it's someone's idea of art? This is a college campus we're talking about, here. Though, it ain't my idea of art, that's for sure."

"No, I think it's some sort of power source, with all the solar panels. But why all the way out here? I don't see anything around that needs energy to run..."

"Sounds a little suspicious to me! Go on, check it out!"

"Well, suspicious is a little strong. Since it's out in the middle of nowhere, they're probably not disturbed much, aside from viruses." The martial artist Navi's eyes narrowed at the last part of her statement, as she glanced over at the spider webs hanging up on some of the pillars. They were far too fresh to be cobwebs; they were recent, and the source probably wasn't very far away because of it. And sure enough, a pair of Spidy viruses emerged and started crawling all over them. "...Yuck! Those things actually look kinda creepy..."

"They're just big spiders, don't be a wuss! ...Eh?" Wait, there was something other than Spidy listed on the battle screen. "Hold on, there's something else there...Megalian-W? Oh, I remember those from school! You weren't around then, but once the school network got swarmed by those things! They come in all four elements, and...you know what? I can tell that story once you're out of harm's way. The important thing is that while they have honest to goodness auras, fire-based moves go through like they aren't even there. And they attack by shooting their heads in a straight line, so if they can see you, you can FireHit them in the face!" And that was as good a segue as any to send a chip over. "BattleChip, FireHit! Slot in!"

"...They shoot their heads to attack? That sounds...oh, I'll go with impractical..." It was also stupid, but for all she knew, it had some weird effect Leslie didn't know about, so she didn't feel the need to provoke them more than she had to. Once again, her fists became covered in a fiery aura, as they so often were. She jabbed quickly with her right hand, causing the flames to leave her hand, and launch as a flaming fist towards the heady virus. Considering it looked like its head was already detaching from its body, she couldn't really afford to get fancy with her attacks. That was true of the other Megalian, so she quickly punched forward with her left hand, and sent forth another burst of fire at it, before it could rocket headbutt her. That head looked like it was pretty hard...like it'd really hurt if it managed to hit her. She didn't really want that.

Of course, there was also the tiny problem of a FireHit not being enough to delete them in one shot, only leaving them crippled and auraless. Fortunately, Leslie was capable enough at basic math to realize this, and quickly transferred another chip to remedy this. "Finish 'em with this! BattleChip, MeteorKnuckle! Slot in!"

Once again, Martia's hand was surrounded with energy...but this time, it was decidedly not so fiery. If anything, it had a bit of a holy feel to it. Not taking any time to appreciate the cooler feel, she rapid fire punched at each of the non-arachnid foes, launching three fist projections between the pair of them. As they sailed toward their targets, they solidified into solid metal fists, ready to perform their sacred duty of eliminating evil...by punching it until it cried uncle. A truly noble quest.

Of course, no matter what, she had a counterattack to hopefully avoid. And that meant getting out of the way, so she prepared for the inevitable assault...though she knew enough that if she needed to step aside, to go east, and make sure she didn't get caught in the webs. Not only would it probably make her helpless or something, she couldn't even imagine trying to get that stuff out of her hair. That thought alone was enough to make her wish her hair was shorter, like Leslie's...

[Order of Turn:
1-FireHit1 chip attack on Megalian-WA (60, Fire, A+, Impact)
2-FireHit1 chip attack on Megalian-WB (60, Fire, A+, Impact)
3-MeteorKnuckle1 chip attack on Megalian-WA (30, A, Impact, Break, Knockback, hits twice) and Megalian-WB (30, A, Impact, Break, Knockback)
4-Dodge: Favor moving to the eastern side]
Martia unleashed a pair of fiery punches at the Megalians. The Megalians tried to dodge the attacks, but failed and were hit for massive fiery damage, which blew away their green auras. A triple rocket punch destroyed the rest.

Then Martia moved toward the East, away from the spiders. However, the Spidies teleported into her path, weaving webs to ensnare her. Martia managed to dodge the first web before walking headlong into the second. She became ensnared a bit and her movements were slowed as she felt barbs digging into her skin.

-Viruses-
SpidyA: 80HP [Near Martia] [Normal]
SpidyB: 80HP [Near Martia] [Normal]
Megalian-WA: DELETED
Megalian-WB: DELETED

-Objects-

-Terrain-
40% Normal

-Webs-
Martia and a single adjacent panel to the East.

-Navi-
Martia.EXE: 230HP [Slow (Web)] [Normal]
Getting rid of large bust viruses was good for Martia. Getting her large bust caught up in sticky spider webs, not so much. She immediately tried to get out, but the white goop just wouldn't let her. Or at least, it wouldn't let her without completely shredding her outfit, and maybe her hair. And while she could refresh her suit in a flash, she was less certain she could pull that off with non-clothing...and she was actually rather proud of her long ponytail. "Ugh...this kinda feels like what they made me do at that hot dog shop..."

"What? What the hell did they make you do that makes you feel like THAT?" Leslie wasn't entirely sure if the likely answer was a turn on or a turn off...but it was worth finding out.

"I really, really don't wanna talk about it..." On the plus side, her struggling did show her that her arms were (mostly) free of webbing, and it gave her an idea. Not one she really wanted to do, but it beat what might otherwise happen. "Leslie, could you send me-"

"Lemme guess, something like FireHit, to knock 'em for a loop? Sur-"

"NO!" A quick and resounding refusal killed that idea. "Spider silk's flammable, isn't it? So that's just what I don't want to do! What I want...is RageClaw, so I can cut myself out of this!"

"Oh, gotcha! Yeah, you burning is...not something I really want to see." Chip with a bear on it, found. And, in it went. "BattleChip, RageClaw! Slot in!"

A large, bracelet-like object, each with three formidable claw-like extensions that went a good foot beyond her fingertips, formed over each of the Navi's wrists. She hacked away a bit at the goop she was caught in, to free herself from its...ickyness. While she was extremely careful not to give herself an inpromptu haircut, she was a bit less precise when it came to elsewhere, and soon her entire outfit was covered in nicks and small tears from where it had come in contact with the sticky white substance. Most notably, a rather large tear in the behind exposed a bit of her butt, as well as a bit of rear cleavage. "Okay, now I should be free, and the stuff in my hair should dissipate once I delete those guys!...Say, is it just me, or does it feel kinda drafty in here?"

"I dunno what you're talking about!" Said the martial artist, as she was clearly taking a quick look at some fine digital ass before she could be discovered. "So, what now?"

"Well, RageClaw's not strong enough to delete them both quickly...hmm, if silk can burn, I wonder if the viruses do, too? Gimme a FireHit so I can find out!"

"Sounds like a good idea to me!" It dawned on Leslie just how much she and her Navi relied on FireHit, what with its special ability to be used more than a few feet away from the target. Well, she really couldn't help it, since that made it invaluable to a close range fighter. Anyway, she should stop thinking and start putting it in. "BattleChip, FireHit! Slot in!"

Martia's right claw bracelet vanished, to make room for the burning aura that started to glow around her clenched fist. She focused on one of the viruses, hopefully the one reponsible for her having to slash her way out of its gooey string, and punched at it, causing a fist shaped fireball to be launched at it, and hopefully give it a 'proper thank you' for that. Actually, no, she hoped that the first one wasn't responsible, and that the one remaining was actually the one that did it. Then it'd have to face the horrors of being all alone as her second long distance fist closed in, and which would be the last thing it ever saw. She was getting sick of whatever she was wearing getting shredded, or covered in stuff, and she wanted, nay, DEMANDED satisfaction. Though, what if she was wrong, and the Spidy weren't weak to fire like she suspected? Some insurance couldn't hurt. "I need something that can hit multiple targets, no matter where they are!...Wait, do we even have any chips like that?"

...Hmm. With MeteorKnuckle, did they? Most of their attacks tended to just hit one enemy at a time...that GolemHit they got from that giveaway? Eh, based on what she read about it, it didn't sound like something that'd hit both of them if they weren't close by. ...Oh, right, that. Avalanche. Duh. That just hit targets, no matter where they were. "I forgot about it too, but we do! BattleChip, Avalanche! Slot in!"

Once more, Martia's hand glowed with an awesome power...but this time, it was an icy blue. She raised it towards the heavens, but quickly slammed it down on the ground, causing three large snowballs to form high above the battlefield, and fall down. If her aim was true, two of them would drop down and hit the spots the Spidy were...or better yet, where they weren't, due to already being deleted. The third, however, was clear on the other side of the battlefield, and unless a virus was dumb enough to teleport directly under it, there was no way it'd have any impact on anything. And that...oughta do it. But even if it wasn't, she was still ready to keep going, especially since she'd known enough to still have a claw ready, in case she needed to get out of further gunk. Though, she DID wish she knew exactly why it was suddenly so drafty in that part of the Net...

[Order of Turn:
1-Free self from webbing with RageClaw1 (tactical movement)
2-FireHit1 chip attack on SpidyA (60, Fire, A+, Impact)
3-FireHit1 chip attack on SpidyB (60, Fire, A+, Impact)
4-Avalanche1 chip attack on SpidyA and SpidyB (50, Aqua, C)]
Martia used her equipped claws to tear away most of the webs, and some choice bits of her clothing. Although cloudy skies and chance of winter snows were not in the forecast as yet another series of dead strikes of flaming fists burned the wood-aligned spiders into a crisp.

-Viruses-
SpidyA: DELETED
SpidyB: DELETED
Megalian-WA: DELETED
Megalian-WB: DELETED

-Objects-

-Terrain-
40% Normal

-Webs-
Martia and a single adjacent panel to the East.

-Navi-
Martia.EXE: 230HP [Normal]

~Battle 2: Victory!!~
Rewards: Barrier, 600z
Sure enough, as soon as the last virus was incinerated, Martia's outfit was instantly restored with a snap of the fingers. Neglecting to notice that she'd warmed up instantly, she meandered over to where the enemies stood, and started gathering the remaining data into coherent bits. "You know, sometimes I don't know what I'd do without those FireHits!"

"Yeah..." And now Leslie was stuck with a shapely, but fully covered, butt on her PET screen. And she could look at that any time she wanted. So, back to regular Navi viewing. "They work, that's for sure. I kinda wish stuff like that existed in real life...imagine if someone's running off, and you can just throw a punch that flies over and bashes 'em without even breaking a sweat!"

"Yeah, it's pretty handy...eh?" Martia tilted her head at the data that formed in front of her. The cash data made sense, but that chip... "Okay, this is weird. I got a chip, but its data signature isn't anything like either of those viruses! I guess if I squint real hard it's a little like the heady guys, but it's not a match at all!"

The martial artist took a look at the chip data that formed on her screen: Barrier. And it...wait, that's all it did? Seriously? "Well, that's a letdown. It's called Barrier, and it blocks 10 damage. 10 friggin' damage! You might as well just get hit and heal it off! Less of a waste of time than this crap!"

"Well, you're forgetting something from virus busting class. Unless it's a certain type of direct attack, barriers still block the entirety of the attack. So, if something does, say, 30 damage and Stuns, it'll still be like I never got hit at all!"

"...Oh yeah. Totally forgot that. Well, in that case, maybe it's not a waste of space." Though even then, a waste of space in the folder still made it bigger. And bigger was usually better when it came to that. "By the way, how are those pillars?"

"They look good. Doesn't look like any of them took any damage in the fight. The webs have dissipated as well, so any function they might've been hindering should be restored."

"Well, that's good. Anyway, you've got a long way to get to those archives, so if everything's completely transferred and you're not hurt, you really should get going."

"The only thing not feeling perfect is my HP!" When it came to lasting injury, spider webs were pretty low on the totem pole. Come to think of it, how did they even hurt anyone? She felt a painful, prickly sensation where the web came in contact with her, but other than that, even falling victim to it didn't shed any light on it. Oh well, she'd have plenty of time to think about it as she kept going.

(Searching for Battle #3)
Martia came upon a curious sight. Stretching out before her was a literal lake of sickly and dark cursed panels. A small dock contained a gondola attached to a chain and pulley system, probably made for those who needed to cross the body of "water" without getting damaged. A small school of Piranha was waiting in the lake for the Navi.

-Viruses-
PiranhaA: 60HP [Cursed]
PiranhaB: 60HP [Cursed]
PiranhaC: 60HP [Cursed]
PiranhaD: 60HP [Cursed]

-Objects-
Gondola: 500HP

-Terrain-
30% Normal
70% Cursed [Lake]

-Navi-

~Battle 3: Start!!~
"...So I said, 'Of course it wasn't me, I still have both of my hands!'"

"That's...quite a story! If it wasn't you telling it, I don't think I'd believe it was true..."

"...H-Hey! What the hell is THAT supposed to mean?!"

"Hee hee! Not a thing!" Speaking of things...what was this? It looked like a lake, but the panels didn't really seem like it was liquid. She got down on one knee to take a closer look. Nope, that definitely seemed 'walk on it without problems' solid. It didn't look harmful, but...she could sense a dark energy emanating from it. And while dark energy often emanated instead of doing anything else, the fact it was there to begin was not a good sign. "I don't think this is ground I should be walking on...I think I'm going to have to go around. It'll take longer, but...well, do you know what this is?"

"Hmm...uh...er...oh, I remember now! It's from one of the last lessons from virus busting class! It's called Cursed terrain. The evil energy it gives off reduces your body's ability to withstand attacks. Long story short, anything on it takes twice the damage you normally would!"

"Yeah, I feel that energy, and it's not very pleasant. And I bet viruses would love to pick off Navis on it. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a few right now, planning an ambush or something!" Looking back up, the fighter Navi noticed a few fishy viruses hanging out over the 'lake'. Well, she was kinda right...sorta."...Okay, that's the worst ambush ever."

"Hoo boy...well, actually, it's not a bad trap. I mean, you're thinking 'hey look, viruses hanging out on Cursed terrain, that's easy pickings!', and then when you get near 'em, BAM! You're the one taking double damage!"

"Well, that's true...but, since we're onto them, we can pick them off first!...Though, it's kinda too bad. I wanna try those new moves, but we keep getting into situations they're not good in...oh well, we'll end up in one of those sooner or later. Let get 'em before they can strike!"

"Sounds like my kinda plan!" Hmm, since the viruses were all on Cursed terrain, pretty much anything they had could destroy them in one hit. Handy. But first, she should make sure Martia didn't get hammered too bad. "But, some quick defense! BattleChip, Barrier! Slot in!"

A blue sphere surrounded the Navi, big enough to comfortably accommodate her. ...That was about it. After all, it was just a barrier.

"Now for the part we're good at!" Namely, fist oriented BattleChips. "BattleChip, MeteorKnuckle! Slot in!"

A white aura covered Martia's fist, which she quickly reared back...and slammed into the ground. This caused the energy to shatter into three, and rise into the air a bit. They quickly materialized into fists of justice, and each rocketed towards a fish, to show them the error of their ways. Which were to lure in unsuspecting Navis and attack. Very erroneous. But it was too late to repent, for contact with the fist would reduce the Piranha into tiny, tiny bits. Then again, if it missed, they'd probably have a little time. Not much, since there'd probably be more attacks, but enough for a quick prayer to...whatever viruses worshipped.

"Keep it up!" And to do so, another chip. "BattleChip, Avalanche! Slot in!"

The Navi crashed her fist into the not quite so evil ground again, this time creating three snow blobs above the viruses, which dropped down to strike with cold vengeance. Not that she had any particular grudge against them. But, 99.9% of all viruses were troublemakers, so they'd probably done SOMETHING to deserve it. Besides, what kind of viruses hung out in a place like this unless they were either up to something sinister? Or were suicidal, either one worked.

"And for the grand finale...!" Leslie took out one chip, and started to slam it in...but stopped just before it went in. "...On second thought, just be careful. if anything's still there, dodge their attacks!"

"All right! Though, I gotta wonder...what's with the gondola? This isn't Netopia...I guess if you wanted to cross this area without going around or risking a virus attack? But then how would you get across with it? It's a boat, and this isn't exactly water..." As she pondered the undoubtedly deep, philosophical ramifications of boats in the middle of nowhere, Martia still made sure to keep an eye on the Piranha, just in case they still existed and wanted some payback of their own.

[Order of Turn:
1-Barrier chip on Martia (S, 10 HP Barrier)
2-MeteorKnuckle1 chip attack on PiranhaA, PiranhaB, and PiranhaC (30, A, Break, Impact, Knockback)
3-Avalanche1 chip attack on PiranhaB, PiranhaC, and PiranhaD (50, Aqua, C, Drop Attack)
4-Dodge]
Martia brought up a weak barrier before unleashing a bevy of attacks upon the poor Piranha. The Cursed Terrain amplified the triple rocket punch, which caused the first three Piranhas to be destroyed within mere seconds.

The last Piranha unleashed a triple trident attack. The first two tridents smashed the barrier, but Martia dodged the third. Clearly this was not the Piranha's day.

Martia then unleashed a dreaded snowmen horde upon the last Piranha. Miraculously, the Piranha was not struck. It swished a bit in the "water" in a weird victory dance to celebrate surviving the first round.

-Viruses-
PiranhaA: DELETED
PiranhaB: DELETED
PiranhaC: DELETED
PiranhaD: 60HP [Cursed]

-Objects-

-Terrain-
30% Normal
70% Cursed [Lake]

-Navi-
Martia.EXE: 230HP [Barrier Broken!] [Normal]
Despite her best efforts, Martia just couldn't hit that last virus, causing to...do a dance? That wasn't something you'd expect from a fish-based virus. Hmm...maybe it was one of those viruses that could be reasoned with? Couldn't hurt to try.

"Don't ya hate it when you're fighting a bunch of enemies, and then there's one lucky bastard that you just can't hit?" Leslie Battle: one of the few operators that truly knew what certain NetBattling situations felt like. "Well, we can fix that nice and qui-"

"Hold on, Leslie. I wanna try talking to it."

"You think it's one of those viruses, huh? All right, but I've got a chip ready if you're wrong!"

"That's fine, but I don't want to risk deleting a virus that can understand me." That said, it was still a fair distance away...too bad there wasn't a megaphone chip or anything, that'd be handy here. All she could do was put her hands up to her face to help cover distance, take a deep breath, and... "HEY! CAN YOU HEAR ME? CAN YOU UNDERSTAND ME? LISTEN, IF YOU CAN, THEN I DON'T WANNA HURT YOU! ACTUALLY, IF YOU WANT, I CAN TAKE YOU TO A PLACE THAT'LL TAKE CARE OF YOU, AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO FIGHT TO SURVIVE! BUT IF YOU DON'T WANT THAT, I'LL LET YOU GO IF YOU PROMISE NOT TO CAUSE ANY MORE PROBLEMS TO THE NET! HOW ABOUT IT?" Ow, her vocal chords. She wasn't used to yelling that loud, that long. But she was probably loud enough for the Piranha to hear her okay, so she waited for a response. Preferably, one that didn't come in the form of sharp, pointy spears. Ideally, it'd let her transfer it to that zoo that was being built; she'd heard they weren't getting very many specimens. It actually made her kind of sad...it wouldn't surprise her if most Navis just assumed that there weren't any benevolent viruses, but she'd seen with her own eyes that they did in fact exist. That's why she didn't want to erase what might be one from existence until she was certain it wasn't.

Still, she could envision the worst case scenario...the Piranha just opened its mouth, and launched some of those spears at her. She'd leap to the side, and try to get skewered as little as possible. With that, Leslie would know it was time for more fighting, and so she'd hear something along the lines of 'Well, you tried...at least now you can delete it without worrying about it being blindly destructive. BattleChip, FireHit! Slot in!' With that, her hands would be encased in fire, in preparation for her finishing blow. She probably wouldn't get too cute with her strikes; just make a quick one-two jab, which would cause the flames to erupt as fist-shaped fireballs that would fly over, and make the virus's end a swift one. And if it managed to avoid both of those, it was without a doubt the luckiest virus ever created...born? She wasn't sure how viruses reproduced, if at all...but it would definitely be insanely lucky.

But, she was hopeful that it wouldn't play out like that. Come on, Piranha. Don't let her down...

[Order of Turn:
1-Try to get the leftover Piranha to stop fighting
-NOTE: The below actions only happen if the Piranha continues to fight
2-FireHit1 chip attack on PiranhaD (60, Fire, A+, Impact)
3-FireHit1 chip attack on PiranhaD (60, Fire, A+, Impact)
4-Dodge]
The Piranha stopped and listened to Martia as she yelled at it. Its beady little eyes blinked for a few moments before it opened its mouth. A trident stuck out of it, ready to be shot at the Navi. But then the mouth closed and the virus swam off.

-Viruses-
PiranhaA: DELETED
PiranhaB: DELETED
PiranhaC: DELETED
PiranhaD: FLED

-Objects-

-Terrain-
30% Normal
70% Cursed [Lake]

-Navi-

~Battle 3: Victory!!~
Rewards: 600z
Martia cringed as she saw the spear come out of the Piranha's mouth...it looked like her worst case scenario was coming true...but fortunately, it was smart enough to heed her and flee the scene. "Phew, it listened...let's hope it listened to everything, and doesn't cause any more trouble."

"Like we can do anything else now..." On the bright side, they went an entire battle without atually using FireHit. A new record. "Anyway, you should still go around that area, since, well, you saw what happened to those others when they got hit by a weak ass MeteorKnuckle."

"No kidding...but first I'll need to pull that remnant data over here. Shouldn't be a problem, though!" Just raise her hand in front of her, do some Navi stuff...yep, it was coming right over. And there, in accessible range. Let's see...nope, the file size wasn't big enough to contain a chip. She would say too bad, but she was pretty sure that a Piranha wouldn't drop anything that really appealed to her, so eh. "Not much here, just a little cash. But it's better than nothing, right?"

"Hey, I know as well as anyone that a little cash can go a long way!" Oh, delicious money total rising. That wasn't something she'd seen much of before the last few days. "That it?"

"Like I said, it wasn't much. Okay, I'm heading around this...lake-like patch, or whatever you wanna call it. It'll take longer, but like I said earlier, it beats getting ambushed out in the middle of...that!" On the plus side, it wasn't so enormous that she'd lose her way going around the edge. So once she actually did so, she'd be right back on her path forward.

(Searching for Battle #4)
Taking the long way around, Martia eventually arrived at another set of databanks, coming in from the South. These formed a large circle, like the rocks of Stonehenge, but without the stones that cross over the top. A virus sat in the center. A large eyeball mounted to a pole. It was rotating upon its dais, scanning the area for threats.

Which apparently weren't the other viruses moseying around. A single Scarecrow was anchored to the ground near one of the western DataPillars, apparently sucking the electromagnetic energy from it to feed itself. Two Snoozys, two foot tall white translucent blobs of goo wearing an oversized dark blue nightcap with white stars, were sleeping soundly near the eastern pillars. And two dark humanoid viruses with swords for arms were practicing their swordsmanship in the north.

A screech halted their activities as a Pirahna swam up from the south-west, warning all the viruses about the Navi that was now nearby. It looked just like the one that Martia let go. This of course woke up the Snoozys and set everyone on edge.

-Viruses-
KillerEye: 100HP [Immobile] [Center of DataPillar circle]
Scarecrow: 100HP [Immobile] [Next to DataPillarC]
SnoozyA: 60HP [Next to DataPillarG]
SnoozyB: 60HP [Next to DataPillarH]
ZemonA: 100HP [Near DataPillarA]
ZemonB: 100HP [Near DataPillarA]
PiranhaD: 60HP [Near DataPillarF]

-Objects-
DataPillarA: 100HP [North]
DataPillarB: 100HP [North-West]
DataPillarC: 100HP [West]
DataPillarD: 100HP [South-West]
DataPillarE: 100HP [South]
DataPillarF: 100HP [South-East]
DataPillarG: 100HP [East]
DataPillarH: 100HP [North-East]

-Terrain-
100% Normal

-Navi-
Martia.EXE: 230HP [Coming in from the South] [Near DataPillarE]

~Battle 4: Start!!~
And she was walking. And walking. And walking. Just how far away was that database from where she jacked in? She knew it wasn't close, but she'd been walking for a good while, and she couldn't even see it...Martia sighed, since just walking was a little boring. At least when she'd busted with Lyn, there was someone else she could turn to and talk with. Well, there was Leslie, of course, but that wasn't really the same thing. "You know, at this rate, I'm thinking it'd be easier to just build a direct link between the dojo's homepage and the university database..."

"Do they even allow that? I mean, you'd think they'd have standards about that sort of thing."

"...I hadn't thought about that, to be honest. But we can teach people about martial arts, so that's gotta count for something, right?"

"Maybe, but you know how people can look at that and think it's just teaching how to beat up people, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too much."

"..." The Navi's silence came mostly from agreement, though she wished it wasn't quite so true. "...Eh? There's something over there in the distance!" And there was a bunch of viruses hanging out. They seemed to be pretty well organized...and showing higher functions than blind destruction and malice. Maybe they were

"You know, I have a picture of what's going on there. You don't need to tell me every time the-" A sudden screech froze the martial artist's train of though. "...The hell was that?!"

"I dunno...wait. It sounded like...no!" The pillar had been blocking her view of it before, but there was a familiar looking Piranha over there with them. Well, familiar feeling, anyway. It looked exactly like any other Piranha, but she could sense it was the same one she let go before. "That's the one from before! I think it just warned the others about me..." Yep, they looked antsy...there was little doubt they saw her as a threat now. But, based on what she saw earlier, she had to try and reason with them. There was a very real chance it wouldn't work, but she didn't have any love for avoidable bloodshed.

"You're gonna try and talk sense into them, aren't you? It's written all over your face. Go for it, but be careful. And if they try and attack, we're going self-defense on their asses!"

Once again, Martia chose not to respond to her operator, this time because that outcome was exactly what she hoped wouldn't happen. It was a real possibility, of course, but not trying was worse than trying and failing in her eyes. "Um, listen! You all probably just got told some...less than flattering things about me, and, well, some of it's true. There was a group of Piranha viruses that appeared to be awaiting unsuspecting travelers on a big patch of dark panels. At first, they looked like they were just mindless and trying to wreak havoc, so I attacked them...but I missed one of them, which started dancing. And that's when I realized it was actually a sentient virus, so I let it flee. I...I know that not all viruses are malicious. If those others weren't...then I did a really terrible thing, because the only viruses I want to destroy are those that go out of their way to harm the cyberworld and their inhabitants! And if that's so, I'd like to apologize with all my heart, even if it's not enough. But it looks pretty clear to me that you guys aren't like that at all, so I'd rather not fight you. Actually, there's a place serving as a sort of safe haven for good viruses that would just like to live in peace. Are any of you interested? I have the address to their homepage, so I can send you over in the blink of an eye! But, as long as you don't cause anyone any trouble, it's okay if you want to stay here. As long as we don't have to fight, I'll be happy!" The martial artist Navi smiled, though she kept her mouth closed; she didn't want the viruses thinking she was baring her teeth or anything. She really hoped they'd listen, and if they really were good at heart, they'd let her send them to the zoo. Those types of viruses deserved to live out their days without fear of being attacked and deleted. But, after earlier, she wouldn't be surprised if they attacked no matter what she said...and for that, her only recourse was to sidestep whatever they threw at her. Or shot, or whatever. But other than that, she wasn't moving, and she definitely wasn't going to try and inflict any harm without provocation.

[Order of Turn:
1-Dodge/try to reason with viruses
2-Dodge/try to reason with viruses
3-Dodge/try to reason with viruses
4-Dodge/try to reason with viruses]
The KillerEye virus emitted a laser trip beam from the massive eye, right in front of Martia. However, Martia didn't move. In fact, Martia tried to reason with the viruses. The viruses looked at each other, then back to Martia, then back to each other again, then once more to Martia. The Scarecrow went back to feeding on the electricity of the pillar of data it was next to, which flickered as it was being drained. The pillowy viruses laid down with their pillows and tried to get comfortable. Apparently, the viruses thought that Martia wasn't a threat and didn't see a reason for moving from their spot. The Zemons and the Piranha, however, kept their guard up.

-Viruses-
KillerEye: 100HP [Immobile] [Laser Trip Beam directly in front of Martia] [Center of DataPillar circle]
Scarecrow: 100HP [Immobile] [Next to DataPillarC]
SnoozyA: 60HP [Next to DataPillarG]
SnoozyB: 60HP [Next to DataPillarH]
ZemonA: 100HP [Near DataPillarA]
ZemonB: 100HP [Near DataPillarA]
PiranhaD: 60HP [Near DataPillarF]

-Objects-
DataPillarA: 100HP [North]
DataPillarB: 100HP [North-West]
DataPillarC: 100HP [West]
DataPillarD: 100HP [South-West]
DataPillarE: 100HP [South]