~ADVENTURE~

"Ouch, that didn't go well," Shisho said, turning and headed quickly for the exit.

Summary of actions:
1, 2, 3) Escape
Shisho flees the half-dead ranks of the Champu, plugs trailing behind him-- and successfully escapes.

In his mad dash to get away from the Champu viruses as fast as possible, Shisho makes several twists and turns and darts through more alleyways than he can remember, passing by several virtual stores and shops and concession stands.

One particular place out of the bric-a-brac catches his eye; it is a small bookstore. A sign on the side of the building, above the door, reads "Bookworms." Shisho finds himself stopping in front of it despite himself. It could be interesting...
Upon his successful escape from the virii and the confusing place, Shisho couldn't help but stop when he saw a book store staring at his face. THe existence of a physical bookstore in the cyberworld intrigued him, and all the more that he was modeled after a real life archivist. As soon as he started edging towards the shop, however, he stopped himself.

Discreetly observing what Rini was doing, she was apparently still oblivious to the existence of the bookshop. The Navi knew really well the inherent hatred Rini had for books, as shown in her poor academic results and the tendency to hide any books that she can get her hands on.

[DING DONG] Perfect! "Um, Rini, there seems to be a parcel delivery at the door," Shisho started gently, trying his best not to act suspicious to the young Operator. "Oh? Rini'll get it! Big girls know how to pick up deliveries!" the jovial girl exclaimed, hopping off her seat and running over to the main entrance. As a form of additional security and reassurance, Shisho sent a message to the servantmaid to keep an eye on Rini, as well.

Shisho breathed in deep, letting it out slowly as he knocked on the door. His head raised afterwards; Bookworms, huh? Peculiar name for a shop.
"It's open!" A jovial, almost elderly-sounding voice calls from inside. Shisho opens the door, greeted by the digital sound of a jingling bell and the sudden aroma of hardwood flooring and parchment-- at least that's what he assumes these things smell like-- as several aisles full of books greet him, each labeled by category. Fiction, Fantasy, Real Life, Study Aids... There are a few more categories further down the aisles.

Off to the left, a normalnavi waves at Shisho, bowing deeply. "Welcome to Bookworms young man! Can I help you find something, or are you just browsing for now?"
Shisho blinked, wondering why the normalnavi was designed to replicate an elderly human. Regardless of the shopkeeper's real age, however, Shisho felt compelled to show respect to the perceived elderly. He bowed slightly-- which made him float slightly higher as his legs lifted slightly as he did-- then turned to marvel at the large collection of books. "Ah, greetings, sir. I-I will just be doing some browsing, if you do not mind," he said, trying to act normal-- but was however unsuccessful in hiding his apparently excitement. In a race against time of Rini's return, he turned and floated down a random alley, taking in as much information on book titles as he could.

He noted at the back of his head to return here secretively in the future.
Shisho ends up floating down the Fantasy aisle, rows and rows of colorful books with enticing titles catching his eye. Larry Copper and the Fire-Elemental Goblin Virus, The Given Tree, John and the Giant Pumpkin, The Leopard, The Wizard, and The Cabinet...

Some of the series are serials, Shisho notes; others seem standalone, and the books seem to cover a range from early childhood to early teens, with some titles that are meant for more mature audiences near the back. As Shisho is just about done with the aisle, and ready to turn to the next-- he spots a glow out of the corner of his eye, and turns to find a single unmarked book sitting on the shelf amongst all the others.

It is hardcover, bound in old, well-worn and blue-dyed leather, with bright white patches that Shisho assumes to be clouds. That is not the noteworthy thing about it, however; the noteworthy thing is the ethereal way it glows and hovers just so slightly above the shelf, as if asking to be picked up and read.
"... Are we allowed to do free reading before our purchase? May I know what are the sales terms?" Shisho called out to the shopkeeper navi, his hands reaching for the unmarked, hovering book. There was something magical about this particular leather-bound reading material, something that set it apart from the other titles (though the other titles were interesting enough for Shisho to record the titles and author down, as well). The special book seemed to be luring and maybe begging for him to pick it up, he didn't know exactly what. If anything, this was a very paranormal experience for him; he doesn't exactly know how to react.

His hands touched the book.
"Oh yes, yes, certainly, many navis like to spend hours in here reading!" The shopkeeper says from the desk up front.

Shisho vaguely recalls hearing him, attention instead kept enraptured by the sudden lightshow that erupts the moment he touches the book. A swirling, circular magical rune imprints itself on the floor as the book rises and moves toward Shisho, covers parting as the pages flip themselves to a particular page, its' words glowing with power.

I am the Book of Fables.

I contain many tales and many treasures. Vast experiences, recollections of archetypal fairy-tales and ancient lore. But these tales that I hold have become twisted, broken in their own unique way. If you so desire, you can challenge these depictions, these fables, and attempt to set them right in exchange for glory and gain.

What say you? Yes, or no?

As if waiting for a reply, a blank space appears below the text; Shisho notes that in this blank space, just long enough for a single, two- or three-letter word, he has write privileges.
Nevermind glory and gain, Shisho was drawn in by the potential content and the way the book was presenting itself to him. Why would a magical book of fables find itself in a humble-looking book store? What excitement is awaiting Shisho, the archivist and lore enthusiastic in between the magical pages?

There was only one answer from him: And that was a very enthusiastic 'yes'.

Shisho's one finger reached forward, tracing a glowing write mark into the three-letter spacing, as if allocated just for his predictable answer.
With a grand flourish and a blast of light, Shisho finds the world around him distorting and collapsing, golden-yellow strands of magic curling inward as he seems to be pulled toward the book; a portal opens up in front of him as he is pulled, stronger now, toward it, and finally sucked inside.

The book, in the meanwhile, immediately ceases all signs it previously showed of being magical, and limply drops to the floor, taking with it all traces of the light and sigils that had previously accompanied it. The shopkeeper nods to himself knowingly.

----------

When the world finally stops twisting and bending long enough for Shisho to get his bearings, he is falling. Falling, falling endlessly through a white abyss, the wind whipping against his hair and a bank of clouds rolling out in the limitless expanse beneath him. As he continues his descent, the book appears in front of him again.

I will accompany you on your journey through my pages. You may ask me three questions within each fable if you find yourself stuck for ideas, but more importantly, I am your key to the outside world. Some of my denizens may covet that ability, the ability to leave, or to alter these tales, so I advise you such:

Keep me close, and keep me secret if you wish to retain the ability to leave.

With that, the book flips and flops and is generally baffed about by the wind as it makes its' way into Shisho's grasp, and at that moment the clouds part beneath them.

----------

THOOM.

It's not exactly a five-star landing, despite Shisho's penchant for floating; apparently that's not quite enough to stop a fall from terminal velocity, and as such he finds himself facedown in the... cobblestone?

Looking around, Shisho can see ahead of him a great castle, ivory bricks diverging off from a wide entry into what must be a massive courtyard, with three tall, spiraling towers as the only structures within to breach the artificial skyline. To either side of the entry to the castle is a Blue Mystery data, floating decoratively over a glowing pedestal; even a cursory scan reveals them to be empty, and probably best left alone.

The surrounding area appears to be a thick forest; dense trees and foliage form a nearly impassable wall past the clearing surrounding the path Shisho is on. Ahead of him on that path is the castle; behind him... Shisho looks off into the distance, and finds a nearly identical black castle, just on the edge of the horizon.
He couldn't help himself but do a little free shouting during the freefall. Wait. Does that mean he's trapped in an alternate world or something? Another different network, maybe? Shisho mused, taking in the tome's words like an eager, fresh sponge, his hands securely wrapped around the book as the floor met his face.

Shisho raised his head from the cobblestone, slightly embarrassed by the unexpected landing. He wiped at his face with one oversized sleeve, feeling that there were still some temporary cobblestone markings on his face. Well, they'll go away in time.

Turning to look around at the fresh new surroundings, he wasn't at all surprised that he was no longer in the bookshop-- as was warned by the book. Realising that it might be a bit conspicuous to be holding it in his arm, Shisho opened a portal before him, placing the book within. The portal closes, but its contents safely connected with Shisho's databanks, with communication still possible if the book ever chooses to talk to him.

He finally went to take in the building architectures, noting the two castles. "Looks like a good setting for a fantasy story," Shisho agreed, looking at the white castle which was nearer to him. "Let's explore the not-dangerous-looking one first, then," the short Navi mused, floating towards the visible courtyard.
Shisho heads inside the castle in front of him, passing the mystery data as he goes. The gray cobblestones, he notes, are replaced by ivory blocks matching the walls of this place as he enters into a grand courtyard, a large, three-tiered fountain greeting him., its' waters running clear. A guard stands to either side of the entrance, and they salute Shisho as he enters. "Welcome to the Ivory Kingdom." The guard on the right begins, as Shisho gets a better look at the fountain directly ahead, as well as the rest of the courtyard. "Could you please state your business here?"

The layout of the courtyard is grand indeed; beyond the cobblestone-outlined fountain in the center of the garden, the broad cobblestone walkway near the entrance leads off to what seems to be an open market on the left, stalls and shops set up in rows and aisles, a good hundred people or so bustling about and buying-- or selling-- wares. On the right, there is a large building, built into and attached to the castle wall; a few signs hand near its' single door entrance. It seems to be at least three floors tall.

And of course, dead ahead past the fountain is the castle itself, a broad, ornate building made out of white bricks and gold trim, with three spire towers rising up out of its' roof.

Shisho finds the guard asking him again. "Sir, could you please tell me what you're here for?"
As excited as he was, he was suddenly taken aback and didn't know how to make an appropriate response relevant to the current situation. Any sane response that wouldn't make him seem crazy, that is. He stuck to a simple bow, attempting to dig up with a coherent, sensible response. "Greetings sir," he started, "I am but a mere traveler, seeking to enrich my personal experience by witnessing the sights of the many beautiful lands found in our realm. I am inspired by your fine city, especially the architecture!" the Navigator continued, giving an earnest smile to the guard.

Gods, he hoped that turned out alright.
"Oh." The guard said, seemingly puzzled by the response and its'... verbosity.

His cohort on the other side of the entry was less so! "If you're not from around here, you should go to the palace and inquire there! Not only does the palace have simply lovely architecture, the King has been looking for a neutral outsider for something."
Seeing the guard's puzzled look, Shisho was very concerned at how his message was taken... but he immediately brightened up at the mention of a need of a neutral outsider, as provided by the other helpful guard. Well, that wasn't too bad at all now was it?

Unsuspecting of the overly welcoming invite, Shisho nodded happily and floated inwards, eager to witness what awaited him in the fantasy city. It was obvious that Shisho was enjoying himself too much to care about the intricacies of the Book of Fables, or the story unfolding before him.

So long as it wasn't in the form of a book or written words, he was almost sure that Rini would enjoy this, as well, when she returns. Not to say that she might share his enthusiasm in architecture, though.

He made his way to what looked like a bazaar or a marketplace. His eyes roamed the demographics, the activity and the various types of goods sold; taking in everything like an eager scribe that he was modelled after.
The various stalls and stands of the bazaar are a bustle of activity; if Shisho wasn't floating, he gets the feeling he would be rather pushed around, unnoticed. The stalls themselves seem to be selling a lot of different things; small charms and jewelry, clothes, food...

One particular stall near the entrance is selling copies of a book. As Shisho floats closer, he notices that the person selling the book, a squat-looking man with a scruffy beard, is also on the front cover.

"The history of the Three Kingdoms, Abridged", by Richard Z. Graff. There are a few dozen copies sitting in a box behind the stall, Shisho notes. Apparently it hasn't been selling too well.

A few other stalls catch Shisho's eye; one in particular seems to be selling what the man running the stall calls "Dimension Capsules", which "contain treasures from beyond space and time!" The stall is apparently pretty popular, as there is only one Mystery Capsule-- in reality a purple Mystery Data-- left.

A third stall, also interesting, is one that is apparently selling "Magic Lessons" to those who are interested.
Almost immediately, Shisho floated his way towards the Dimension Capsule stall, as the items looked awfully familiar and reminiscent of the ones in the real world -- his real world, anyway-- that he wanted to inquire how the man got them. Considering there was only one of those mystery datas left, though, it would seem that it was awfully popular for some reason with the locals.

"Uh, hello," he started as soon as he got to the front of the store, his eyes glued to the purple data. "That's very pretty. How did you get it?" Shisho threw out his question, making it sound as innocent as possible. It was a good way of using his young appearance; even if he did not make the purchase, the man probably won't be that angry with him.

Not to mention he didn't know what exactly is the currency they traded in, so it wasn't entirely safe to just say "Iwannabuyit".
"Wizard gave 'em to me, he did!" The man-- seemingly in his 30s for a human, light skin, short moustache and lightly-tousled brown hair giving him a business-esque air-- says. "Said They were junk and he didn't need 'em anymore, handed me a right bucketful he did." The man nods.

"If you want to buy one, it'll be 2000 coins!" He smiles, holding one up. "And you'd get the last one left, too! I guarantee it's worth the price, my friend-- I've seen some come away with more coins than they paid me for the things, and one man even pulled out an enchanted sword, I hear!"

He pauses for a minute before grimacing. "Some of them have had less grand results though, particularly the green ones... guards made me stop selling those." He mutters.

"So!" The man claps his hands together. "Are you looking to buy?"
His eyes brightened at the price, knowing that it was well within his capability. His first purchase as a full-fledged Navigator, in a fantasy world nonetheless! However, the zenny's still considered as Rini's property; while it might be more appropriate for him to ask Rini first, but he supposed that he wouldn't mind purchasing the data as a gift for Rini, instead. He did earn it from previous battles, after all.

However, the Navigator wondered if he could lower the price further. Shisho seemingly pondered, withdrawing a small pouch (suitable and appropriate cash holder for the timeline). Drawing the strings to loosen it, Shisho squinted childishly at it's contents-- though it really was just a counter of how much zenny Rini and himself had collectively.

"Ah... That's so nice, too," Shisho started, looking slightly sad. "I'm just missing a hundred or two coins, too! I need the extra for my traveling expenses..." he added, looking troubled.

Then he gave his best pleading eyes, looking ready to sway the man into a bargained discount.
"I like you, young man. Y'got a good sense a clothing style, you do. But I am tryin' to run a business here, and I haven't exactly had a problem sellin' my wares here." He pauses. "Just that I've had less to sell. Darned guards. Tell you what-- you convince the guards to let me sell the rest of my wares, and I'll give you one of those. But this?" He holds up the purple MD, "You gotta pay for it, friend."

As if on cue, a woman in a posh, rich-looking outfit shows up. "Oh, that is simply darling!" She exclaims, pointing at the MD. "How much for it?"

"Now now, ma'am, I respect the rule of first come, first served, and my friend here ain't decided if he wants to buy or not." He says, holding up a hand. "So, you buyin'?"