Mini-break in the Lab

Tennisman wields Deuce like a true tennis champion and sends a massive torrent of air towards the cannons, only one being able to shut it's protective armor plates in time to avoid being deleted. He sends out another blast out towards the DBLCUBE, launching it into the air and off into the distance, leaving the cliched flash in the sky as it zooms out of sight. Tennisman then dashes towards the Twisty viruses and slashes them both with his axe-ified racket. His racket calls out to Jadia, and she pauses to turn around. The last CanoGuard detects Jadia and turns around and begins to target her!

CanoGuardA: DELETED
CanoGuardB: DELETED
CanoGuardC: 60HP
DBLCUBE: DELETED
TwistyA: DELETED
TwistyB: DELETED

Terrain: 100% Metal

Tennisman.EXE: 190HP

Deuce: 60HP [Equipped] (40hp Barrier)

Jadia: 100HP Warning! Target Lock!
Now he was sure it was Jadia. Her curly dress and unique hairstyle set her apart from all the other normalnavis he had seen. But now she had the look of a deer caught in the headlights as the CanoGuard virus took aim. The reticle would lock-on soon, why didn't she move? Tennisman ran as fast as his legs could carry him. For all his speed upgrades and HP Memories, what good were any of these if he couldn't protect anyone with them.

"It's firing." Deuce said.

"NO!" Tennisman cried as he leapt forward, swinging Deuce out ahead of him.

"Guard1!" Desmond added.

Deuce flashed yellow. Tennisman could only follow-through as he had done so many times before on a desperate return. He could almost see the shot as it passed through the air. He finished his swing and landed in a roll, taking up a defensive stance in front of Jadia.

"Are you hurt?" Tennisman asked, keeping his eyes on the virus.

There was no reply but he couldn't afford to turn around right now. He requested a chip, "Shotgun." But maintained his guard over her.

"Hurry!" Deuce said, "Fire while its guard is down!"

Tennisman complied and unloaded the Shotgun round at the open barrel of the virus.

1 - run
2 - run faster
3 - Guard1 (reflect 60)
4 - Shotgun CanoguardC (50 damage + spread 1) + untapped potential (15 damage)
5 - cover Jadia with Deuce

Deuce - Defend
- Defend
TennisMan makes a mad dash towards the defenseless Jadia and dives forward as the CanoGuard fires a single energy blast at Jadia. Thanks to TennisMan's specialty, he is able to deliver an overhand volley and sends the energy blast of in a wild trajectory. It didn't matter since TennisMan returned fire with a shotgun blast, deleting the cannon virus.

Break! (to win a game as the receiving player or team, thereby breaking serve)
CanoGuardA: DELETED
CanoGuardB: DELETED
CanoGuardC: DELETED
DBLCUBE: DELETED
TwistyA: DELETED
TwistyB: DELETED

Tennisman.EXE: 190HP

Deuce: 60HP [Equipped] (40hp Barrier)

Jadia: 100HP

REWARDS: 200z, DBLBEAM, 22 BugFrags
The viruses had been deleted swiftly. Tennisman sighed a breath of relief and turned hoping to get some answers, but instead found nothing. Jadia was gone, again.

He called out to her, "JADIA!"

"I don't understand your fascination with this girl." Deuce said, "I think you're wasting your time."

"You would not understand," Tennisman replied, "You were not there."

"Where, exactly?" Deuce asked.

Tennisman looked away and shouted again, "JADIA! WHERE ARE YOU?"

"Oh, there she is." Deuce said whimsically.

"Where?" Tennisman asked, surveying the area.

"Up there." Deuce replied.

Tennisman strained his neck up to see Jadia staring back down from a different level. There was something odd about her expression. It was blank and unfeeling; totally different from when he had first met her in Yumland. She turned away and stepped out of view.

"JADIA! WAIT!" Tennisman cried to no avail.

Looking around some more, he could see a raised path that led to the upper levels. He needed to catch up with her. He needed some answers.

((Battle 2))
As Jadia disappears from sight, Tennisman could only wonder why she was avoiding him. He continues to give chase, but encounters a group of viruses as he passes by. He would just continue past, but they started to chase him! Its one thing after another, isn't it?

Viruses Identified!

ChampuA: 60HP
ChampuB: 60HP
ChampuC: 60HP
BoomerA: 60HP
BoomerB: 60HP
CatankA: 120HP
CatankB: 120HP
ElecOgre: 120HP

TennisMan.EXE: 190HP
Deuce: 60HP

<(Battle #2: You're starting to annoy me... Ready, Serve!)>
"More enemies, I see." Deuce said nonchalantly.

Tennisman could no longer see where Jadia had run off to but judging by how far she was when he saw her, it would take a while to catch up to her. That thought led to another question: how did she get up there so fast?

"I would much prefer it if you could focus on the battle rather than your girlfriend." Deuce said.

"Seriously," Desmond added, "I think that thing with the horns is an elec virus. I think metal makes electricity twice as powerful so you have to take it out first!"

It was useless to think about trivial matters until the coast was clear, and right now it felt cluttered. The horned virus posed the biggest threat while the two tanks looked formidable enough on their own. The assortment of Champus and Boomers just seemed to add to his troubles. "Two Heatshots." Tennisman said.

Desmond added, "What about the-"

"Ace Serve." Tennisman said, striking a cluster of tennis balls at the grinning mask of the virus.

Meanwhile, another masked face scurried past him and darted towards one of the Tanks. Tennisman recognized it immediately as the PickPocket chip and called out again, "Heatshots!"

"Temper, temper, Tennisman." Deuce said.

"Yeah I know! I know!" Desmond said, "I just think we could use some more zenny after that SPEED UPGRADE I just got you."

Tennisman sighed and added quietly, "...Please."

The second and third chips loaded and reformatted his buster cannon. He took aim at the Boomers, remembering to aim away from the clips in their jaws. There was a small opening but he fired twice anyways, knowing he didn't have to luxury to idle for long.

"Guard." Desmond said while he slotted in a chip, "Here comes the counterattack."

Tennisman held Deuce in front of him and infused the Guard data through his arms. His support program took on golden glow.

Deuce - Overwrap (40 HP Barrier)
- Equip

1 - Ace Serve ElecOgre (4 x 30 damage)
2 - PickPocket1 CatankA (steal zenny/chip)
3 - Heatshot BoomerA (40 damage + spread 1)x2
4 - Heatshot BoomerB (40 damage + spread 1)x2
5 - Guard1 (reflect 60)
Frustrated at not catching up with Jadia, Tennisman seeks to move the viruses out of the way, and fast. He rockets down the Ace Serve on the ElecOgre, deleting it instantly, and destroying one of the bigger threats on the playing field.
The Pickpockets furrows with something on the Catack...both of which move forward.
The next to go down are the Boomers, their natural element and the metal terrain not really helping them.
A Champu warps in as Deuce junctions with Tennisman, Overwrap on. The Guard blows back the first, while the second only manages to destroy Deuce's barrier.
The pickpocket returns, carrying...
a chip...

ChampuA: 20HP
ChampuB: 60HP
ChampuC: 60HP
BoomerA: DELETED
BoomerB: DELETED
CatankA: 120HP
CatankB: 120HP
ElecOgre: DELETED

TennisMan.EXE: 190HP (PP: Cannon)
Deuce: 60HP [Weapon Junction]
Tennisman and Deuce reeled back from the Champu's blows but managed to fend off the attack relatively unharmed thanks to their defensive abilities. However, Deuce's protective field had been completely depleted and he was now vulnerable. He would need to take a moment to recover but Tennisman was on a tight schedule.

"Katana." He said.

Deuce flattened out to another bladed form and lengthened, still retaining his black and red colour scheme. Making a quick dash to the slowly advancing tanks, he made a wide slash across their armoured bodies and immediately followed up with another long piercing stab. He retracted racket in the blink of an eye and pulled back his fist.

"Firehit!" He shouted as he shot out his fist in a fierce right hook. An aura of flame enveloped his arm as he punched, extending his reach and the force of the blow.

"Hoooooly crap," Desmond said, "If I was any slower with that chip, you would've broken your fist by just now."

Tennisman refused to banter with his operator and requested yet another chip, "AquaNeedle!"

"Yeah, yeah..." Desmond sighed.

Not trusting the chip to do its work perfectly, Tennisman popped up a single tennis ball and struck it at one of the Champus. As he followed through with his serve, a sudden burst of wind came crashing down along with the racket. Like an invisible waterfall, the force of the gust felt strong enough to pin down an elephant. Unfortunately for one of the viruses, this downdraft happened to be right overhead.

"Oh, it doesn't seem to like that..." Deuce said.

"You did that?" Tennisman asked.

"Don't falter now, Tennisman." Deuce added.

The AquaNeedle chip activated and for each Champu on the field, a bubbly stalagtite dropped down over each one in a rapid series of impacts. One of the spikes seemed to travel down especially fast as it was carried by the wind. Not content that things would go smoothly for him, he held Deuce at his side again as he would a sword. He attuned himself to the residual sounds lingering from his attacks and lowered his body to balance himself better.

1 - Katana1 CatankA (60 damage), CatankB (2 x 60 damage)
2 - Firehit CatankA (60 damage)
3 - AquaNeedle ChampuA, ChampuB, ChampuC (20 damage)x2
Deuce - Attack ChampuA (20 damage)
Deuce - Gust ChampuB (down)
4 - dodge
5 - Katana1 incoming Champu (2 x 60 damage)

Tennisman charges forward and swipes the two advancing Catanks with a wide slash, then follows up with another slash that takes one out completely. Not leaving the second Catank a chance to attack, Tennisman throws a wicked flaming punch that explodes over the virus. Tennisman then brings down the house with a trio of massive icicles as Deuce fires a tennis ball at one of the Champus. The ball ricochets off the injured Champu's forhead, and it passes out before exploding into bits of data. One of the Champus is nearly crushed by a falling icicle, and the third, seeing his comrades get beaten up, blindly charges towards Tennisman. The punch-happy virus avoids death by icicle, but is quickly diced up by two incredibly fast slashes delivered by the waiting TennisMan. The recently injured Champu has a little more success, delivering a terrain boosted left jab followed by a wicked right cross.

ChampuA: DELETED
ChampuB: 20HP
ChampuC: DELETED
CatankA: DELETED
CatankB: DELETED

TennisMan.EXE: 170HP (PP: Cannon)
He brushed his cheek where the virus had landed a blow and glanced around. It was the only one left and still wouldn't just leave. Tennisman brought out a pair of tennis balls and cycled them in one hand, spinning Deuce around in his other. The Katana chip disengaged, reverting Deuce to his normal racket form.

He quickly smashed two balls into the virus's angry face and turned his back to it. He needed to resume his search.

"Fantastic." Deuce said.

ALL DODGE
Deuce - Attack ChampuB (20 damage)
Deuce - Attack ChampuB (20 damage)
Deuce fires two tennis balls in rapid succession, plinking the virus to death. Off in the distance, Jadia's fading form can be seen, still walking quickly away.

Victory!

ChampuA: DELETED
ChampuB: DELETED
ChampuC: DELETED
CatankA: DELETED
CatankB: DELETED

TennisMan.EXE: 170HP (PP: Cannon)
Rewards: 500z, FireHit1, 33 BugFrags
"JADIAAA!!" Tennisman shouted again.

"Don't you get tired of that?" Deuce asked.

Her distant figure turned away and fled just out of sight. With nothing left to stop him, Tennisman ran after her.

"Wait," Deuce said, "Don't you find it odd?"

"What do you mean?" Tennisman asked.

"Well... If you really do know this girl, why is she running away from you?" asked Deuce.

"I... Do not know." Tennisman said, "When I find her, I will ask her."

"And what if she's leading you into a trap?" asked Deuce very seriously.

Tennisman had no reply for that but didn't think that she would, but then again how well did he really know her? They had only met once in Yumland and beyond that, she was a complete mystery to him. He only had his instinct to go on.

"Ah, I see I'm getting to you now," Deuce added, "Think about it, we've been following her for no more than a few minutes, and we've already been ambushed twice."

"The net is full of viruses!" Tennisman argued. His tone was beginning to break its usual stoicism.

Deuce recognized Tennisman's anger building and stopped pressing the issue, but not before making only one final comment, "I'm just saying this might not be as straightforward as you think."

Tennisman kept running to Jadia but instead of the questions he wanted to ask her, he could only think about Deuce's words.

((Battle 3))
Tennisman, reminiscing of his first love, chases after her, oh what sweet romance, they are dancing in a field of flowers, a pink sky and bubbles floating in the background.

[Imagined Dialogue]
Tennisman: Oh ho ho! Wait for me~ <3

Jadia: Ha Ha Ha~ Try to keep up.
[/Imagined Dialogue]

Suddenly Jadia is nowhere to be seen, a faint presence indicates something to Tennisman's right, but before he can react, he feels some heavy force on his body.
Viruses growl as they pad, float, and move toward him, but they seem to be under some heavy strain as well.
All combatants are stock-still in their places, what could be going on?
Looking down, Tennisman indicates some purplish-gravity controlling beneath him, and everything else.
Hm...
Oh, and it seems that was a diversionary tactic or something, the floor's normal.

RedUFO: 80 HP
RedUFO: 80 HP
HandyA: 80 HP
HandyB: 80 HP
HandyC: 80 HP
PulseBulbA: 120 HP [IronBody]
PulseBulbB: 120 HP [IronBody]

TennisMan.EXE: 170HP
Deuce: 60HP

-BATTLE 3-
-FIGHT-
"Huh," Desmond said, "Never seen these viruses before."

Tennisman was equally baffled by the new viruses and wasn't sure how to proceed. He stepped nervously around them, trying to get a sense of how they would attack before they actually did. So far, his research wasn't going well.

"I'm gonna look up what these guys are. For now, just stall them or something." Desmond said.

Tennisman nodded and said "Countbomb."

He planted the heavy explosive down at his side and guessed two of the viruses were elec element judging by the light humming noise they made as they hovered. He tapped Deuce to the ground.

"Opting for a change of scenery, I see." Deuce said.

Tennisman verified his comment, "Court Change."

The metal panels rusted away and yielded to a sudden green field of fresh grass. Tennisman stood, hoping to avoid any more type disadvantages from his opponents.

"What are you waiting for? An invitation?" Deuce asked, "Go!"

Tennisman was still hesitant about attacking and was getting a bad feeling from the strange flying saucers that reminded him of Deuce's old form. He relented and performed a quick service of a handful of balls at one and waited to see the reaction.

"I do not wish to rush myself." Tennisman said.

"And what about Jadia?" Deuce asked.

Tennisman fell silent again but refused to continue attacking.

Deuce - Overwrap (40 HP barrier)
Deuce - equip
1 - Countbomb1 (50 HP, 2 turns -> 100 damage)
2 - Court Change (grass zone)
3 - Ace Serve RedUFOA (4 x 30 damage)
4 - dodge
5 - dodge
Deuce wraps a barrier around himself before latching onto Tennisman's arm. The sportsman grudgingly places a Countbomb in the vicinity, or so he thinks.
A RedUFO zips up as Tennisman activates the Countbomb, stealing the chip data, and fleeing into the distance.
Undeterred, Tennisman changes part of the area to Grass and whacks some balls at the RedUFO, deleting it, and sending the chip data back to Des' PET, which comes out as used.
Two Handys cackle as they place Countbombs of their own in the area.
The Pulsebulbs just silently stay there.
Another Handy reaches into the ground...

RedUFO: SERVED
RedUFO: 80 HP (G)
HandyA: 80 HP (G)
HandyB: 80 HP (sinking)
HandyC: 80 HP (G)

CountbombA: 50 HP (0/2)
CountbombB: 50 HP (0/2)

Terrain: 70% Metal, 30% Grass

TennisMan.EXE: 170HP (G)
Deuce: 60HP (40 HP Barrier) [Weapon Junction]
"Hey guys, I found out what the UFOs do." Desmond said, "Which one of those Countbombs is ours?"

"Neither of them," Deuce replied, "And we also happen to know what the UFOs do."

Tennisman asked, "What of the other dome-shaped viruses?"

"Pulsebulbs: They spin and shoot confusing waves." Desmond explained, "Don't hit them until they face you. I think they're slow so you can ignore them for now."

"I think a little diversionary tactic is in order," suggested Deuce, "Send a bad chip to lure it in and use a strong one to finish it off."

It was a simple strategy but Tennisman was willing to see it through. He cocked his head up and raised his buster, "Cannon and Heatshot."

He took aim at the other saucer and waited for the two guns. He tried to look vulnerable to draw it in before firing at the last moment. What happened next was a blur of attacks and movement but Tennisman could distinctly hear one shot being fired.

"I think it would be prudent to deal with the countbombs next," added Deuce, "Seeing as how they're not ours..."

"Lilbomb and Windracket." Tennisman said.

Desmond slotted in more chips. The bomb was lobbed at the deadly timers and landed with a long fiery cloud. Tennisman didn't wait for it to clear before running through it and swiping an enhanced Deuce at the Handies. Two tennis balls appeared mid-swing and were struck in the direction of the last handy, adding to its problems. The smoke all around him cleared away from the gust allowing him to see the aftermath.

1 - Cannon RedUFOB (40 damage)
2 - Heatshot RedUFOB (40 damage + spread 1) x2?
3 - Lilbomb CountbombA, CountbombB (50 damage + blast 2)
4 - run in
Deuce - Attack HandyC (20 damage)
Deuce - Attack HandyC (20 damage)
5 - Windracket HandyA, HandyB, HandyC (100 damage)
The UFO falls to the bait, and gets promptly burned. Tennisman properly gets rid of the countbombs.
Dashing in, the Sportsman lets Deuce take some "pew pew" lasers out on one Handy, before Tennisman uses his ALMIGHTY WINDRACKET on them.
Unfortunately, the sinking Handy pulled out a dud, and in his awesomeness, Tennisman had attacked it.
It exploded promptly, doing some major damage and blowing Tennisman back.
A Pulsebulb suddenly takes this chance to rush in and open up, releasing sonic waves at Tennisman, stunning him. Good thing he was on some grass.
The virus retreated.

RedUFO: TRICKED
HandyA: WIND RACKETED
HandyB: TENNIS'D
HandyC: PEW PEW'D

Terrain: 71% Metal, 29% Grass

TennisMan.EXE: 80HP (G) (Stun! -1 Action)
Pushing himself off the ground, Tennisman could feel the residual electronic waves interfering with his equilibrium. He winced and felt tiny sparks coursing through his arm. Deuce's barrier had been blown away but he quickly set up another one with his reserve power.

"That could have gone better." Deuce said.

"Netplay." Tennisman said in reply.

"Let's try that again and this time, do try to keep from blowing yourself up." Deuce said.

"Desmond, Zapring, Sword and Firehit." The battered navi ordered.

"They are still fairly invulnerable when facing away," Deuce commented, "Wait for it."

Tennisman brought up his buster and held the Zapring in check, charging it. The paralyzing feeling in his arm faded away as the electric charge in the firing chamber built up. The thought of poetic justice crossed his mind as he fired the shocking blast at one of the viruses. He immediately charged in with Deuce and delivered a quick slash before stepping back to a safer distance.

"Remember, only strike its face." Deuce said, "And you know what? I think I might be able to help you out here."

Tennisman nodded and ripped his arm back, pulling Deuce along with it. A large whirlwind followed, centering on the other Pulsebulb before tightening and increasing in speed. Soon it condensed into a powerful cyclone contained within a single panel.

"Now!" Deuce cried.

Tennisman lunged forward with his fist wrapped in a sheath of flames, "FIREHIT!"

The attack exploded in a burst of embers that devoured the grassy terrain and reduced the field to cinders.

"Superb." Deuce said.

Deuce - Overwrap (40-HP barrier)
1 - ((stunned))
2 - Netplay (1-hit shield + 60 heal)
3 - Zapring PulsebulbA (40 damage + stun) + untapped potential (15 damage)
4 - Sword PulsebulbA (80 damage)
Deuce - Gust PulsebulbB around
5 - Firehit PulsebulbB (60 damage)x2?
Tennisman shook off his stun and put up two barriers.
A Pulsebulb foolishly moved in, but it was the second one this time. It sonar'd the shield, healing Tennisman, and soon got a taste of its own medicine with the help of a Zapring. Drawing a sharper racket, the sportsman plunged it into the virus, deleting it.
Deuce tried gusting the next Pulsebulb in, which worked, and Tennisman punched it, with a flaming fist, but only hurt his own hand. It apparently didn't want to open up just yet.

RedUFO: TRICKED
HandyA: WIND RACKETED
HandyB: TENNIS'D
HandyC: PEW PEW'D
PulseBulbA: 120 HP [IronBody] (N)
PulseBulbB: SWORD'D

Terrain: 70% Metal, 28% Grass, 2% Normal

TennisMan.EXE: 140HP (G)
Deuce: 60HP (40HP Barrier) [Weapon Junction]
"Guard and Katana." Tennisman said, determined to finish this battle quickly.

Deuce took in both chips at once, far exceeding his original programming. As the his appearance adapted to a more suitable form, Desmond slotted in another chip.

"Derp." went a voice.

Tennisman passed a glance downwards and saw the Pickpocket at his side again. It wiggled its nose and scurried past him and charged the last Pulsebulb.

"...Money." Desmond explained himself, "And I looked up Pickpocket on the virus database. They're related to Bandacoon viruses."

"Bandacoons." Tennisman repeated.

"Yep." Desmond said.

At least now he knew what to call the strange creature. The Bandacoon had already made its way to the virus and clawed around it frantically. Meanwhile, Deuce had finished changing and was ready for battle. Tennisman held his racket close with both hands and made his way to the Pulsebulb. The soft plushy grass underfoot masked his approach.

"Come on, pick up the pace." Deuce added.

Without another second of hesitation Tennisman charged in.

1 - Pickpocket1 PulsebulbA (steal zenny/chip)
2 - Guard1 (60 reflect)
Deuce - defend (take 1 attack meant for Tennisman)
Deuce - defend (take 1 attack meant for Tennisman)
3 - approach front (DON'T STEP OFF GRASS)
4 - katana1 (2 x 60 damage)
5 - dodge