G_StorageDrive2

Rayner's strategy made a brilliant start to the fight. Multiple enemies were injured enough, a Spooky was even deleted straight off. His shotgun blasted an injured bat to bits. Rayner had time to noticed the last group getting sliced and diced invisibly, although his confusion matched that of the virii as Pyre appeared by the second group..? Rayner gave a shrug and figured he must have missed her dashing between the two groups. Then again she had been invisible so it was entirely possible tha-

*SWACK*

Rayner stopped in his musing as drool and spittle was left on his mask. He quickly snapped his mechanical arm up to return the swat of the offending virus, feeling the scratchy data of RageClaw building itself on his arm with haste. The chip data completely its work just as his hand reached about where his target had been, although given the nature of Spookies Rayner wasn't entirely sure he had hit. "Thanks."

"Pay attention next time, I had that chip slotted in as soon as I saw it appear ahead of you!" Joan had been carefully watching the field as her Navi had spaced off. She'd started the fight nervous about the odds, they'd started off at four virii for each Navi, but was much calmer now that half the opponents were so much digital dust and almost all the rest had taken hits. As she eyed the data an idea came to her and she highlighted two Metool on her screen. "Hey Rayner, how are you at bowling?"

Rayner was probably smirking as he flexed his clawed arm, eyes narrowing as he once more brought up the calculations he would need to pull his move off. It would require movement on his part, and quite a bit of being in melee range of his opponents. Not quite his forte as a Cursor but he'd live...probably. Potential throw paths popped upon the Pet's screen once more. Again the original multitude of lines was rapidly decreased one by one as Rayner picked his angle and trajectory. Finally only one was left and the reticles in Rayner's eyes flashed as the selection was made.

"Got it."

"Have fun." Joan frowned at the appearance of the mystery data on the field and highlighted it in orange. She was pretty sure that was the result of data clumping itself together that Rayner had taught her about. Didn't it normally contain treasure? Or was that the color that could also contain a trap?

Rayner sprinted towards the sole remaining member of group A and attempted to hoist the small hard hat wearing virus up for an attempted throw at its' twin in group B. Maybe he'd get lucky and kill them both with one shot, that would put him close to the lead for killing most enemies this fight. But where had Pyre gone? Another invisible chip or had that been her decoy?

--Summary--
1) Rageclaw 40 + Slashing @ Spooky A, Accuracy B
2) Movement to Metool A
*Snipe
3) Throw 20 + Imapacting, Seeking Metool A @ Metool B, Accuracy B

Also I believe I should be down some HP.
Rayner responded to the Spooky's tongue-lashing with a clawed hand, slashing the virus apart like cloth. Pyre gradually re-appeared near the cleanly cut pieces of the Metool and Pulsebat. She raised her hood and looked skyward to the frantically flapping PulseBatB. She was about to ask her NetOp for a chip to deal with the pest, but her voice was drowned out by the shrill cry of the Pulsebat. She was knocked nearly to the floor by the sonic pulse emitted from the virus, causing her robes to kick up slightly from the floor. If Rayner was looking, he would see a brief flash of his partner's legs... or whatever was left of them. Starting at mid thigh, her legs became more and more fragmented, as if she was permanently glitched. Her legs effectively ended about where her knees should be, with nothing underneath.

"Oof..." the Navi uttered with a wince. She tried to regain her composure, brushing her robes back into place before calling out to her NetOp. "Cannon, if you please." Joanna had expected as much, and quickly slotted the chip in, sending a notification to her Navi. "Thanks, hon," Pyre said as she pointed her spear skyward towards the Pulsebat, prompting the weapon to glow and fragment. It collapsed down over her right arm, forming into what appeared to be a CannonDumb's main gun, but it was mostly shrowded by her sleeve. She took aim and fired the weapon, sending a loud boom reverberating off the towering walls of cold storage units, and a single solid round through the body of the Pulsebat.

Rayner sprinted to his next target, barely managing to scoop it up with a claw as the Metool tried to scurry away. All it could do was kick its legs uselessly in the air before being flung into its counterpart. With a sharp clang, both viruses broke apart.

VICTORY
-Enemies-
MetoolA: DELETED
PulseBatA: DELETED

MetoolB: DELETED
PulseBatB: DELETED
MetoolC: DELETED
PulseBatC: DELETED

SpookyA: DELETED
SpookyB: DELETED

GMD: 10HP Open? [Y/N]

-Terrain-
100% Normal

-Allies-
Rayner.EXE: 150HP Rewards: Recov10, 80z, 2FXP
Pyre.EXE: 120HP Rewards: Guard1, 2FXP
Rayner did take a good look at Pyre as she reappeared and chalked up her vanishing act to an Invis chip or an innate ability. He took a moment to admire his teammate's fine fighting form, and was abruptly treated to a sight he did not expect.

"That's, that's kind of scary." Joan muttered quietly. Pyre seemed busy recovering from the Pulsebat's attack so with any luck her comment wouldn't be overheard. Rayner privately agreed with her, but turned his attention to his attack now that the bat was blasted. The sight of her legs had unnerved him a bit, digging half-remembered somethings out of the dust.

He sprinted, caught the Metool, and managed to give it a mighty one-armed heave straight into the other Metool. Both virii were destroyed and Rayner's mental kill count clicked up by two. This put him squarely at five of eight enemies destroyed and his stance became a bit more arrogant to reflect his winning status. The Elec Navi took his time as he scooped up the chip data and then sauntered over to the GMD. He gingerly scooped it up with his RageClaw infused mechanical arm and then shifted it over to his good hand as the chip data finally began fading away, claws rearranging themselves.

"That was a rather flashy ending I must say. Well done madam! You'll forgive me if I don't clap, I'm about as short on normal arms as you are on legs." He paused, eyes looking as if they should have been seated above a 'I know now too' smirk before fading into a more friendly expression. "I believe the sound shook even these towering, what are they again?" He gestured with his claw and then paused as he asked his question, a set of eyebrows popping into existence simply so he could raise one at her.

There was a muffled gasp that turned into a cough as Joan drew air down the wrong pipe or maybe that was spit. Either way it was clear she was shocked by her Navi's blantant jab and erupted into a short coughing fit as she paused her download of the new chip data. She recovered as he questioned Pyre about the creepy looking tubes all around and drew in a breath to start lecturing.

"Don't, Joan. What ever is hosted on this drive could give clues to what kinds of virii we're likely to encounter. It will also make a difference in how I fight, if those units are easily damaged then I need to make sure any stray shots on my part won't hit them. I'm not asking for trade secrets here, just general knowledge about the lay of the land." Really, Rayner wasn't asking that much in his opinion. Sure following your employer's orders was important, but so was asking questions regarding your job.

Joan was glad for the fact she had her face-screen off, she could feel her ears heating up after Rayner's lecture. She huffed and rolled her eyes, then tapped the GMD on the Pet as she found a quick way to save face.

"Idiooot. I was going to ask if it was safe to open that. You just kind of scooped it up so I assumed it was safe to handle at least." Rayner's eyebrows both rose, though he was a bit suspicious of the topic change.

"Whoops, almost forgot I had that. Let me just, ah, take care of it real quick." He turned and walked a couple steps from Pyre before setting the GMD down. He activated it real fast after a glance at Pyre and then stepped back to stand even with her.

[Open: Y]
With the battle completed, Pyre's spear reverted to its normal configuration. The battlefield was littered with Zenny and a pair of chip packets, prompting a slight smile from the Navi. She reached down and picked up one near the rapidly deteriorating husk of a Metool. She opened the packet, but her smile subsided as it revealed to be a chip she already had in her inventory, though it was no less useful. A pop up window appeared next to Pyre, showing Joanna's face, though her eyes appeared to be looking down at the screen as opposed to the small camera affixed to the top frame of he PET. [[i]"Got the chip, good work. Are you still good to go?"[/i]] Thank you, Joanna. And yes, I'm fine, Pyre responded.

They turned to Rayner as he spoke up, gripping a GMD in his robotic hand. While both the Navi and NetOp didn't show any noticeable reaction to Rayner's comment about Pyre's lack of "normal" legs, their moods sank a bit, especially Joanna's. So you've noticed, the Navi responded, then continued, changing her tone more to reassure Joanna than anything else. "I'm not slowed down at all, plus it seems to fit my style, no?" Pyre smiled warmly. Her hair was a bit disheveled by the battle, and as she smiled, one might see a noticeable change in color and texture just right of the center of her face, slightly exposed by her displaced bangs. However, it wasn't enough to really show what truly lay beneath. She turned her head towards the rows of organized cold storage units off to the side wall of the drive, she was about to explain before Rayner responded to an apparent protest from his NetOp.

Joanna glanced to the units as well before setting her cold gaze back on the Navi as she began to explain. [[i]"You have a valid point. They're storage units for my work files, as well as the files from my predecessors. They're fairly well protected, but I'd prefer you don't try to shake them up."][/i] While her explanation was rather abrupt and relatively without fine detail, it was enough to illustrate their importance to her occupation. While the long walls of units looked foreboding, and the pale blue lines of light slowly pulsing around each drawer wasn't a common sight, it seemed they weren't a threat.

Rayner remembered the GMD in his hand and placed it on the ground shortly after activating before stepping back. Pyre and Joanna watched as the mystery data slowly opened up, revealing a glowing battlechip packet inside. "Ooh, I wonder which one it is..." Pyre mused quietly

[GMD Contents: Pillow1 (30dmg + Sleep) B accuracy]
[Edited]
Rayner would have returned Pyre's smile as she commented that it fit her style, instead he had to settle for as approving a look as he could give with his skull mask. He wasn't really in a position to judge, and honestly as it seemed to be doing neither her nor her fighting abilities any harm who was he to complain? There were more enemies to fight, and he was pretty sure his right arm had been pulling some weird graphical nonsense earlier. Joanna started talking and he turned his head to face her steadily, not really intimidating by her cold glance. He gave a short nod after her speech.

Really, he was glad to see someone had seen enough sense in his question to answer it properly. It was a shame he couldn't eye roll at Joan, no wait, maybe while the reticles were up he could. Hmm...

He snagged the chip data out of the GMD and was pleased it wasn't a trap, it would have looked so uncool right now. He analyzed the data and then sent it off to Joan with a quick text message.

R: I am suddenly in need of a silky nightgown GMO.

The Navi's attention slipped onto Pyre and her operator once more. "Pillow1. Sleep-causing melee chip with low damage. Not quite my usual fare but I'll make it work."

Joan recoiled at the message and mental image it brought to mind and quickly tapped out her own reply to Rayner's terrible joke.

J: Never. That was awful.

Rayner chuckled and seemed to regain focus as he looked at Pyre once more. He should probably say something about her legs, especially since he had pointed them out in the first place. "It isn't my style to crimp on someone else's style. As long as it won't cause you issues in a fight, which I've seen it won't, than it isn't an issue." He gave a flick of his good fingers off to the side, metaphorically dispersing the topic into the network where it could rot unstated.

Rayner gestured for Pyre to take the lead. As she passed his eyebrows rose in an amused arch. "If you're up for a friendly competition the current kill-score is 5 to 3 in my favor. I restarted keeping track after Condor left." Whether she took him up on his amusement or not he'd follow closely after her, relaxed but still alert for viral activity. No sense in wasting an opportunity like the one that had presented itself at the beginning of the last fight.

--Ready for Battle #3--
((+3 FXP for interaction))

"Pillow... I've actually never heard of that one before. Maybe it's relatively new?" Pyre surmised as her partner revealed the contents of the data packet. Joanna couldn't help out either, as it was new to her as well. However, she was still relatively new to virus busting in general, compared to her significantly older and more experienced Navi. Rayner continued, responding to Pyre's style comment with a matter-of-fact attitude, and without delving further into the issue. Joanna was thankful the Navi didn't inquire, but was also wondering if he was actually indifferent, or just a bit dense. Rayner offered the lead, to which Pyre gladly obliged and floated ahead.

Rayner changed gears, and offered a playful challenge, to which Pyre responded with a smile before turning around. "Hm, now this'll make this much more interesting," Pyre exclaimed enthusiastically as she continued to float backwards through the air. She mimicked Rayner by raising her own visable eyebrow and adopted a seemingly mischievous grin. "Are you a proposing a wager as well?"

Regardless if Rayner responded or not, Joanna cut in abruptly. [[i]"Heads up, there's a light ahead. Could be another pocket of viruses,"[/i]] she cautioned. Pyre glanced over her shoulder before turning back around; there was indeed a light, which seemed to be situated at floor level. As they approached, it became apparent the light was coming from a hole in the floor, which was belching out a continuous plume of hot air and bits of smoke and embers. A pack of viruses huddled around the glow, apparently trying to keep themselves warm. Several Spikeys lay prone on the ground, some appeared to be asleep, and two OldStoves were watching the glow intently as if they were tending to it. To top it all off, two Spooky viruses appeared to be orbiting/playing in the rising pillar of warm air just above the furnace terrain.

One Spikey was sitting rigidly amongst is relaxing kin, and spotted the pair approaching. The virus made a low growl, rousing the others from their slumber and alerting them of the intruders.

Enemies

-surrounding Furnace Terrain-
OldStoveA: 50HP
SpikeyA: 90HP
SpikeyB: 90HP
SpikeyC: 90HP
SpikeyD: 90HP
OldStoveB: 50HP

-orbiting above Furnace Terrain-
SpookyA: 30HP
SpookyB: 30HP

Terrain
95% Normal
5% Furnace

Allies
Rayner.EXE: 150HP
Pyre.EXE: 130HP

-[Battle #3, heating up! Ready, Fight!]-
Rayner mused over the thought of a wager with a delighted look to his eyes. For a small moment he seemed distracted as he texted back and forth with Joan.

R: Can I bet the pillow?

J: But we don't have many chips.

R: Melee chips aren't my specialty though, and we've gotten three in as many battles, it'll be fine!

J: Mmm, alright. I suppose I'm fine with that.

R: What if they don't want the pillow? How much can I bet?

J: Uh, no more than half.

Rayner's attention was dragged away from the conversation by Joanna's warning and he turned to examine the situation. The targeting sights grew from the spark of green light in his eyes and he began mapping out the pathway of the chip he planned to use. Calculations of angle, distance, and a few other factors were made quick work of with his subsystems.

Joan blinked in surprise as the arcs were plotted out, the view shifting once from overhead to side view. It was kind of funny, the only times she had seen Rayner use this set up was when he was throwing things... A light bulb abruptly turned on.

"Oh! Doublebomb, slot-in! If we're making this a competition... Shotgun, slot-in!" She quickly popped the first chip in then thumbed through the rest of her meager collection before settling on the second chip. Rayner would probably want to do as much damage as possible in the first few seconds. It was a trend she was starting to notice. "Make sure you don't get carried away by your side-bet, this group has higher HP than the previous gang."

"I gotcha, nice call on the chips." Light flared up in the middle of Rayner's mechanical hand, chip data quickly assembling itself into two identical spheres of explosive might. Rayner quickly transferred them to his good arm and tossed them forwards into the gang of flaming foes. "Hey Pyre, I'm willing to bet either the Pillow chip or 500 zenny!"

Chip data streamed around his right arm in twisting winding patterns until his lower arm was completely obscured from view. This time the shotgun appeared as a double barreled buster. Twin stripes of yellow wrapped vertically around the barrels close to their end, brightening up an otherwise black and dark grey colored weapon. Rayner pushed on his targeting programs, trying to find the angle that would let him hit two targets. The Navi brought his left arm up to brace the left and two loud bangs sounded as soon as the cursors in his eyes flashed to bright green.

Small wisps of smoke trailed from the end of the barrels, quickly obscured as the chip data glowed bright and then began to flake away. Rayner launched himself into a roll to the left, tumbling across the panels that had previously been beside him. The move wouldn't win him any medals at an event, but maybe it would get him out of the way of attacks. He pushed himself to his feet and began strafing around the group, surveying what damage he had, or had not, done.

"You know, five hundred is more than half of seven hundred. Can you /do/ math?" Joan's voice sounded peeved but Rayner only chuckled.

"Whoops." That wasn't the voice of a repentant Navi at all.

--Summary--
1) Doublebomb - 30 + Blast 2 x 2 Bombs @ SpikeyB, Accuracy C
*Snipe - Adds Seeking
2) Shotgun 50 + Spread 1 + Seeking @ OldStoveA & SpikeyA, Accuracy A
3) Someone took gymnastics! (Dodge)

Passives:
Marksmanship
"Joanna, could you send me our Fireburn and Guard chips please?" Pyre called out to her Operator. Joanna retrieved the requested chips and slotted them in, notifying the Navi with a status update.
Rayner tossed his trusty twin bombs at the group as they began to mobilize. He managed to peg the SpikeyB with both explosions, and hit the SpikeyC with one, but the others started to fall back in unison to avoid the blasts. After his throw, he stated his wager. Pyre smiled as she started to trace a runic character in the air with her left hand. "Alright, and if you win, how about a Guard chip for your troubles?" she responded just prior to her partner firing off a shot with his shotgun, pegging the SpikeyA and blasting the OldStove to bits.

Pyre followed up by completing the symbol ahead of her hand, which started to glow an ever intensifying red before bursting into flames and shot a stream of fire towards the viruses. The SpikeyC and SpikeyD were caught in the flames and found themselves promptly cooked, but they still hung on. However, the flames continued past the viruses towards their glowing respite in the floor. As the flames met the hot air from the furnace terrain, it caused a significantly large fireball, as if the furnace intensified the spread of the flames. Though the Spikeys had managed to avoid the bombs, only the SpikeyD and the OldstoveB managed to avoid the albeit weaker flash of heat and flames from the fireball. Though the heat was spread out and dissipated quickly, it managed to chip down one of the Spikeys, causing its scorched body to slump to the floor.

The flames quickly died down, and Pyre quickly drove her spear into the ground, causing an additional rune to appear on the floor to her left. She closed her eyes, as if in deep thought, before she uttered an odd incantation. "Aske fra de døde," she said quietly, causing the runes to glow even brighter, then opened her eyes. "Stige!" On cue, a large urn, easily 6' tall and almost 3' wide rose up from the runes. The earthenware urn was a dark brown with a few painted black bands around, and appeared to be very old. As soon as it appeared, a ghostly copy of Pyre phased from the Urn and started to float towards the slightly cooked viruses ahead. "Feel free to use this as cover, Rayner," she called out to her partner. "Just be careful not to break it yourself," she added; maybe the urn was more than just an obstacle? She quickly raised her left arm, causing a Guard shield to materialize in front of her, anticipating the viruses to counterattack.

And indeed they did. The spikeys got into position, moving like a pack of wild dogs. Both of the Spooky viruses paused in the air, as if they were preparing something. Shortly after they paused, they launched two streams of data to the SpikeyA and SpikeyB, causing their bodies to briefly glow green as they were refreshed with recovery data. Though one of their comrades had fallen, they engaged their targets quickly and efficiently. Since the decoy was closing in, the SpikeyA burned away the aggressor with a quick fireball, and the SpikeyB fired off a similar attack towards Pyre. However, with her guard shield raised, the fireball was absorbed before a bolt of energy rebounded back, striking the attacking virus. The SpikeyC and the remaining OldStove fired a series of fiery attacks at Rayner, but his tumbling roll left the Navi comfortably un-singed. The OldStove's immolating attack left a long black scorch mark on the ground, and was apparently hot enough to cause the floor tiles to bubble and crack.

Enemies

-Behind Furnace Terrain-
OldStoveA: DELETED [Rayner]
SpikeyA: 60HP
SpikeyB: 35HP
SpikeyC: DELETED [Pyre]
SpikeyD: 40HP
OldStoveB: 50HP

Terrain
85% Normal
10% Cracked [straight line towards OldstoveB]
5% Furnace

Allies
Rayner.EXE: 150HP [Kill count: 6]
Pyre.EXE: 130HP [Kill count: 4]
Urn: 20HP
Decoy: Torched
Rayner heard Pyre's offer but did not reply immediately, he was busy taking his carefully lined up shot. Shortly after that his partner was busy laying down her own brand of heat on the viral group. He didn't have time to take advantage of her newly summoned urn as the virii counter attacked, he had already dedicated himself to tumbling.

Rayner waited a couple moments after he felt the last of the heat from viral attacks wash behind him before standing back up. His mask reflected a rather disappointed expression as he took in the HP totals of the remaining virii. Sure there were a couple that were pretty badly injured, but he had sincerely expected to do a bit more damage than /that/. He might as well deal with a couple issues at once though. "I'd be happy to have that guard chip. Oi Joan, I'm a bit miffed at the damage output. What's up with that?"

"Oh you did quite a bit, but the ghost things shot out some data and the other viruses recovered." Rayner scanned the battlefield and then stopped when he caught sight of the ghosts. He crossed his arms and leaned on his left foot, tapping the right in annoyance. "Um, we don't have any more multi-target chips left either. I would suggest taking out those Spookies though. You're work will just go to waste other wise."

"Mmph, to be honest I should have gotten them both with that shotgun. I kind of forgot about them completely." He confessed. With a shake of his head and a sigh he unfolded his arms and straightened up, taking mental tally of the chips he and his partner had left. His left hand came up to rub the bottom edge of his mask as he considered his options. 'We really don't have many chips, perhaps I should have just bet zenny...ah well might get a Guard out of it.' He sighed and shrugged, the eyes on his mask closing as his arms raised at his sides as part of the gesture.

"Hm?" Rayner waved off Joan's questioning sound with a couple flaps of his hand.

"Don't worry about it, I was just thinking. Send over our Cannons, I'm going to put them to good use." He straightened up and opened his eyes, the little green spark quickly appearing and blazing into cursors that roamed about the sockets freely until they locked on his target. He brought his mechanical arm up and braced it by placing his left arm just behind the elbow joint at a horizontal angle.

"Cannon, double slot-in!" The chip data streamed in as it had quite a few times before, condensing and glowing around the lower half of Rayner's prosthetic arm as it temporarily reconfigured his data to give shape to something that could make use of the chip. This time the boxy shape pictured on the chip appeared on Rayner's arm, although this one was painted yellow with black stripes similar to his previous Shotgun attack. The cursors in his eyes flashed and stayed in place as they locked on and calculated possible dodges, attempting to ensure that no matter what sneaky disappearing acts the Spooky pulled the Navi would still be able to hit. There was a single blast from the barrel that was accompanied by smoke and light and the spherical ammo was sent flying towards one of the Spookies.

Rayner rocked back on his heels from the recoil but shifted his body towards his other target as the cursors began moving as they tracked the opponents. He flicked between targets and then appeared to settle on the remaining stove, arm swinging into line as the cursors flashed and locked into place. He swung his arm and twisted his body to physically put his shot in line with the opponent. His body tensed in preparation for the recoil and the cannon clicked loudly as the next round of ammo was slipped into place. There was a moment of quiet and then Rayner pulled the trigger. As before, the blast of the cannon was accompanied by a small burst of light and a plume of smoke as the metallic ball was sent flying at the Oldstove.

Rayner's arm was jerked back from the recoil and he winced as his left arm was temporarily put in a painful position. His firing job was done, though, and the bright green cursors faded from his eyes as he dropped his arms and surveyed the battlefield to see the damage done.The chip data around his arm glowed and reconfigured itself back into the claw that normally resided there and

"Hey, no time to be impressed with yourself. You should get behind that urn." Joan nudged, sounding just a bit nervous her Navi dawdling around in the open with a quite a few viruses ready to smack him down.

"Ah, yeah, thank for the cover Pyre!" Rayner cupped his normal hand around the side of his mouth for that last shouted comment and of course dropped it as he made a short dash to the conviently provided hiding place. "This doesn't look too sturdy." He mused as he ducked behind it. Considering Pyre's comment earlier and the low hp, perhaps his fellow Navi had set up a trap? He realized if that was indeed what his hiding spot was, then he might just end up giving his partner a free kill.

--Summary--
*Snipe
1) Cannon 60+Knockback + Seeking @ Spooky
2) Cannon 60+Knockback @ Oldstove B
3) Movement! Take cover behind Urn
Rayner and his Op recognized the Spookys' capability to heal their allies, and wished they'd have engaged them first. "Joanna, I'll use the FireHit and Invis chips next," Pyre called out to her own Operator, prompting the woman to upload the requested chips. As she started to trace a runic symbol in the air with her left index finger, Rayner opened up with two cannon shots, both scoring him two more "kills."

The symbol formed into a basketball-sized orb of flame, and with a flick of her finger the ball zipped towards the SpikeyA, thoroughly cooking the virus. Its comrade retaliated with a fireball of its own, but it went slightly wide, barely singing part of the Navi's robes. Pyre moved her finger up, causing the fireball to follow along, as if it were attached to her finger by a long, invisible wire. Her eyes fixed on the fireball, she flicked her finger down and to the side, sending the orb of flame crashing down on the attacking Spikey. The orb burst and fizzled out, but the Spikey suffered the same fate as its counterpart. Rayner fell back to Urn, and Pyre pulled up her hood, causing her body to steadily fade into the background. Unfortunately for her, the Spooky saw the Navi attempt to disappear and quickly teleported in. Pyre was caught off guard, and she had a brief look of surprise before she was nearly smothered by a wet, vertical lick from the virus's needlessly long tongue. She was nearly invisible as the virus struck, but it looked like the virus managed to slap its tongue against her fairly ample chest before dragging it up her neck and face. Eww.

Pyre was now entirely invisible, but one could hear some faint sputtering as she was still reacting from the tongue lashing. The Spooky appeared to have a satisfied look on its face, but with a sharp *smack* the virus was sent reeling, nearly falling to the floor. The ghostly virus recovered before angrily looking around, now with a slightly red hand print on the side of its mask-like face. In the mean time, Rayner moved behind the urn, but didn't escape the eyes of the lone Spikey. It tried to bring down the obstacle between itself and its foe, but the fireball only succeeded to rattle the urn, causing cracks to form on the side facing the virus. However, the fireball's heat and flame managed to partially spread around and over the urn, giving the Navi a brief flash of fire.

Enemies

-Behind Furnace Terrain-
SpikeyA: DELETED [Pyre]
SpikeyB: DELETED [Pyre]
SpikeyD: 40HP
OldStoveB: DELETED [Rayner]

SpookyA: DELETED [Rayner]
SpookyB: 30HP [Near Pyre]

Terrain
85% Normal
5% Furnace

Allies
Rayner.EXE: 135HP [Behind Urn][Kill count: 8]
Pyre.EXE: 120HP [Invis][Kill count: 6]
Urn: 5HP
"Recovery 10, Slot-in!" Rayner felt a pleasant soothing sensation flow over his body. The ruff of fluff around his neck stopped smoldering, only a few wisps of smoke rose from the now darkened ends, and the ends of his scarf abruptly lost the flames that had appeared on the fringes. Sure his mask was still darkened with soot, but the recovery chip gently restored the majority of his data. Rayner gave his Op a thumbs up.

"That feels good, thank you."

"Thank Pyre, she's the one who gave you an Urn to hide behind."

"Hmm, yes. I'm not sure whether I'm happier it didn't get destroyed or sad it didn't trigger."

"Trigger..?"

"Yeah, pretty sure its a trap...Hey! Send me RageClaw and Marublaster, I want to try something."

"...Why do I have a bad feeling about this?"

The eyes on Rayner's mask gave their best impression of wide-eyed innocence while Rayner managed to clasp his hands in front of him in an attempt to appeal to the giver of chips.

"Oookay, puppy dog eyes do not work for you. Just, stop. Please." Joan slipped two of the chips they hadn't expended this fight out and quickly sent their data streaming to her Navi. "RageClaw1, MaruBlaster1 slot-in!"

"Hmph! Well I guess not all of us can be adorable." Rayner started off trying for sounding annoyed but quickly gave it up in favor of his normal speaking tone. After all, he'd gotten the chips he wanted right? He had convinced Joan, even if it hadn't been quite the way he had wanted to convince her. He'd stick that in his little bag of tricks all the same. The RageClaw data started swirling around his right arm and the Navi snapped to attention. He concentrated and split the chip data between both arms, fighting less with his greedy right arm than he had in the past. He flexed his hands and then turned towards the Urn, the diagram he had used earlier when plotting the course for throwing the bombs popped up on Joan's pet again. A light bulb turned on in Joan's head.

"Oh no, no no no. Didn't you say that was trapped? This is such a bad idea Rayner, what if it goes after you?."

"That's what we have the MiniEnergy for. Now shush." Rayner placed a clawed finger against the bottom of the skull face and then turned back to the Urn and his trajectory analysis. Unfortunately he hadn't thrown an urn before so his targeting subroutines weren't able to narrow it down to just one flight path. There were still six or seven paths displayed on the PET and the inside of his helmet when he finally did pick up the urn, but that action seemed to narrow it down to two. "Oi Pyre, I'd vacate the area around that dog!" With his words of warning over Rayner hurled the urn towards the dog. The trajectory diagram winked out of existence.

He didn't even wait for the Urn to connect before tapping into the other chip data that swirled about him like an invisible mist. Well it didn't stay invisible for long as it slipped into visibility and swarmed around his left arm. There wasn't much of a change this time a rectangular slot appeared in the base where the claws were attached. Electricity crackled down his arm and then slipped around his claws to gather in the slot. As soon as that was done he lifted his arm, took aim, and fired, blasting out a crackling circular disk that seemed to glitch out as it passed through the air towards the fire-dog.

--Summary--
1) Recov10 Rayner
2) Rageclaw 20 + Impacting Urn @ Spikey D Acc B
3) MaruBlaster1 60 + Glitch, Elec @ Spikey D Acc B*

Passives: Marksmanship
*Not sure if throwing something with Rageclaw counts towards MaruBlaster's special regarding Melee & Sword chips. If so Acc A.
Rayner restored some of his energy before utilizing the Urn Pyre provided, warning the Navi of his intentions and to steer clear of the area. As he hoisted the urn up, an eerie pyre lookalike seemingly fled through the surface of the large object. However, it proved to be a decoy as the Spooky teleported up to it, attempting to get revenge for the slap. The decoy disappeared as quickly as it showed up, leaving the ghost-like virus even more confused and frustrated.

Rayner hurled the urn against the Spikey, hitting his mark. While the already cracked urn caused very minor damage, it exploded in a sizable cloud of ash, coating the virus in what almost looked like gray chalk. The Spikey pawed at its face, trying to get the dust out of its eyes. At least it didn't have to see the disk that ultimately deleted it.

With a loud boom, the Spooky got fragged as well, but by a Cannon round fired by the invisible Pyre. The area went quiet once more, leaving some zenny littered on the floor, as well as a battlechip packet left behind by the previously blinded Spikey. "Nice work, using the Urn offensively was a nice touch," Pyre spoke up, though still out of sight. "I believe our count is now 9 to 7, your favor," she added, picking up zenny data. She finally reappeared a few seconds later, her hand attempting to put some final touches to the bangs over her face, finally working out the mess from the Spooky's attack.

VICTORY

Enemies

-Behind Furnace Terrain-
SpikeyA: DELETED [Pyre]
SpikeyB: DELETED [Pyre]
SpikeyD: DELETED [Rayner]
OldStoveB: DELETED [Rayner]

SpookyA: DELETED [Rayner]
SpookyB: DELETED [Pyre]

Terrain
85% Normal
5% Furnace

Allies
Rayner.EXE: 145HP [Kill count: 9] Rewards: 70z, HeatShot, 2FXP +2 bonus FXP
Pyre.EXE: 120HP [Kill count: 7] Rewards: 2FXP +2 bonus FXP
Urn: Destroyed
Rayner only had a quick moment to register that his item-throwing plan had worked before the Spikey found itself shocked to death. He let his mechanical arm lower to his side, the motors at the joints whirring quietly as the chip data dispelled itself and the arm reformed. Rayner sauntered over to the remains of the Spikey, whistling quietly at the chip data left behind. He scooped it up and held it in the center of his claw, taking a moment to analyze it before he sent it back to the Pet. "Joooan~ Chip data heading your way."

"Know I know why Karin gave me so many blank chips."

"Heh, she set you up right at least." He rose to his full height again, making a futile attempt to dust his hand off on his pants. Unfortunately all he seemed to do was spread some ash around, his eyes narrowing in annoyance. He abruptly looked towards Pyre, his expression brightening as he started to head her direction. "Oi Pyre! Thanks for the cover! Made a great weapon too." He was definitely proud of himself for his throwing antics.

Rayner started moving the direction they had been travelling before the fight, he was itching to try and further his lead. "Hm, despite giving myself a handicap you certainly caught up quickly. I believe we killed equal amounts last fight but it feels like you took out more. That Guard chip is so tempting though, I guess I'll just have to push harder." He mused.

[Ready whenever~]
Pyre started to move on, with Rayner in tow. "Your quite welcome," she responded to Rayner's thanks. They started to make their way towards the back of the drive, and didn't hear nor see any viruses attempt to slip past. "Looks we're nearly finished with our sweep, so you may just win our little wager," Pyre said as the rear wall came into view. The area seemed to be slightly hazy, making it difficult to see the back corners of the area. As things currently stood, there were no other viruses in sight, but a loud metallic clang rang out from the group's left side. "I stand corrected," Pyre whispered, just loud enough for Rayner to hear as she changed direction, approaching the source of the noise

As they got closer, they discovered the final pocket of viral activity. It appeared the viruses had attempted to dig in and maintain a foothold in the corner of the drive, they even went as far as to set up fortifications for themselves. Granted, these "fortifications" consisted of a few ladders and gurneys placed on their sides, making a waist-high makeshift bunker, with a gurney sitting on its short end on the bunker's left side, like an impromptu tower. There was another gurney on the right side, but it looked like it had fallen over, likely the cause of the previous racket. There were 3 CannonDumb turrets sitting just behind the wall, and a swordy standing guard on each side near their associated "tower." There was another Swordy behind the CannonDumbs, but it was a slightly different color than its two counterparts, a commander perhaps? Four Spooky viruses were slowly patrolling/loitering ahead of the bunker, but one stopped and turned towards the group, noticing their presence.

Enemies

-Scattered around area-
SpookyC: 30HP
SpookyD: 30HP

Makeshift Bunker: 50HP
-Behind Bunker-
CannonDumbA: 50HP
CannonDumbB: 50HP
CannonDumbC: 50HP
Swordy-N EX: 90HP

-Flanking Bunker-
Swordy-N A: 60HP
Swordy-N B: 60HP

Terrain
100% Normal

Allies
Rayner.EXE: 145HP [Kill count: 9]
Pyre.EXE: 120HP [Kill count: 7]

-[Battle #4, Final Resistance! Ready, Fight!]-
Rayner seemed nice and secure in winning the Guard chip which seemed rather boring in his opinion. He was about to regret giving himself that lead when the clang rang out. He perked up instantly, straightening up from the slight slouch he had developed as they walked. He did make an effort to keep quiet as Pyre whispered, keeping close to his employer's side. Then the viruses appeared and the skull mask almost appeared to grin. The eyes certainly narrowed in a rather predatory way.

R: Joan send me Dou-

Rayner abruptly sent his unfinished message as he felt the chip that was quickly becoming his favorite loaded into his system. Sure it didn't mesh easily with his specialty, but hitting lots of things at once was brilliant and in this case there were quite a few stationary targets that would hopefully be easy to blast away. With any luck he'd be able to delete at least one or two of them before the Spookies could respond. Targeting hairs popped up in his eyes as he attempted to gauge the distance. He didn't bother with his tragectory analysis program this time, he was starting to get a handle on the angle. He went to scoop the balls of death out of his claw like last time then paused, noticing that while he had been busy plotting and planning the spheres had been floating rather serenely between the spokes of his half-opened hand, apparently caught in a magnetic field. Rayner made a mental note of the shenanigans happening and then scooped the Doublebombs into his humanoid hand to lob them with an overhand pitch.

Figuring that their sneaky presence was now blown, Rayner opted to voice his next comments aloud for the benefit of his group. "Oi, we should probably try tagging those damn ghosts down unless you can knock out some of the other viruses in one hit. It would be nice if everything we killed didn't just keep healing right back up." A pause, and then Rayner remembered. "Oh yes, thanks for the bombs, Joan. I enjoy starting things out with a bang." He cackled under his mask, swaying a bit as he gestured towards wherever the bombs had landed. "How about sending that new fire chip?"

"Alright. Take care though. Heatshot, slot it!" Rayner sighed in appropriate melodramatic fashion, even going so far as to move the targets in his eyes about in a literal eye roll as heat began gathering in his body.

"Yesss mooom." He gave a friendly wink and then began jogging to the side, attempting to line up a good shot on two of the Spookies. The chip hungry arm pulled the data around itself, ensconcing it's lower half in cocoon of data parts. The covering chip data was abruptly sucked into the brightly glowing gun that had appeared. A double chambered gun had appeared. Two sets of two small horizontal vents glowed a bright orange against the familiar black Rayner's mechanical arm typically bore. Not to be forgotten, three yellow stripes circled each of the chambers and the tip of the barrel, and a thinner yellow stripe ran long-ways from each of them.

Rayner slid to a stop when he found a likely point for two of the Spookies to be in a line with him and raised his arm, fingers fitting easily into the groove between the two tanks. There was a quiet slosh noise from the gun and then a quick 'fwoosh' as the vents shined brighter and ammo within was quickly ejected as a flaming mass of liquid that would attempt to cover one of the Spookies with burning hot death. Maybe Rayner would get lucky and would catch two of the annoying ghost virii in his attack, either way he'd be pleased.

--Summary--
1) Doublebomb 30 + Blast 2 x 2 Bombs @ CacconDumb B, C, A (Acc C)
2) Line up Spooky C & D
*Snipe
3) Heatshot 40 (Fire) + Spread 1 + Seeking @ Spooky C & D (Acc A)

Rayner brought his newly favorite chip to bear, and with a surprising amount of luck, the bombs exploded on their targets. The twin explosions rocked the bunker, blasting the wall and all of the turrets. In fact, the two explosions overlapped near the center of the barricade, bringing one of the turrets down with an explosive double-whammy.

However, one of the Swordys countered almost immediately, it teleported in and slashed the Navi. Undeterred by the attack, Rayner moved to the side in an attempt to line up two of the Spookys, and successfully blasted them both to embers. Pyre had requested chip from her NetOp, and following Rayner's guidance she too focused on the remaining Spookys. A shotgun barrel appeared from her left sleeve, and with a loud bang she brought down the other two with a spread of energy shot. She also prepared to engage the bunker as well, leaving her spear standing at her side while the shotgun disappeared, and she traced a runic symbol in the air with her right hand. The off-colored Swordy pointed its sword forward commandingly, ordering the remaining CannonDumbs to open fire. Both fired off a single round, one barely missing Rayner, while the other hit Pyre in the left shoulder. Her shoulder recoiled from the hit, but she did not stop preparing her attack, though she had a pained look on her face.

Seeing its CannonDumb subordinates didn't do much to halt the attackers, the commander Swordy blinked out of sight before instantly appearing a couple feet in front of Pyre. Just as the Swordy raised its glowing energy blade to strike, a stream of flames erupted from the runic symbol ahead of her outstretched hand. The Swordy was enveloped by the flames, but it too continued its attack, hitting the Navi with a diagonal slash of its blade. The plume of flames rolled over and into the bunker, bringing down one of the guns and melting the wall away. The flames died down quickly, revealing the singed Swordy. It raised its blade again to deliver another strike, but the injured Pyre quickly grabbed her spear and thrusted it through its body, piercing it like an arrow through straw. Pyre's normally friendly expression appeared much more serious as she yanked the spear from the neat hole in the virus's chest as it fell to the floor.

Seeing its commander dispatched, the remaining Swordy attempted to avenge its deletion, blinking in and delivering a vertical slash. Fortunately for Pyre, its aim wasn't as good as its higher ranking counterpart, for all it hit was a bit of her left sleeve. Pyre's robe was now a bit of a mess, there was a large cut tracing from her right shoulder down to her left hip, causing the lower parts of the robe to sag and reveal her white skin-tight bodysuit underneath. It too had been split in places, but mostly held together.

Enemies

-Scattered around area-
SpookyA: DELETED [Pyre]
SpookyC: DELETED [Rayner]
SpookyD: DELETED [Rayner]

Makeshift Bunker: MELT'D
-Behind Bunker-
CannonDumbA: 20HP
CannonDumbB: DELETED [Rayner]
CannonDumbC: DELETED [Pyre]
Swordy-N EX: DELETED [Pyre]

-Flanking Bunker-
Swordy-N A: 60HP [Near Rayner]
Swordy-N B: 60HP [Near Pyre]

Terrain
100% Normal

Allies
Rayner.EXE: 125HP [Kill count: 12]
Pyre.EXE: 60HP [Sword] [Kill count: 11]
Rayner was impressed after watching Pyre continue her assault despite the round to the shoulder and then a rather nasty looking swipe from the sword. Alas, clapping was out of the question for him so he was reduced to giving an appreciative whistle and hoping she wouldn't take it the wrong way. There wasn't time to stop and admire as only three enemies remained on the field. If he didn't secure another kill it would be Pyre's victory, and while he wouldn't mind losing to the skilled female he wasn't the type to just let her skate to victory out of pity. He dashed off a line of text requesting the last chips he hoped to need for this mission.

R: 2 Cannons and MaruBlaster.

"Cannon, double slot-in! MaruBlaster1 slot in!"

Rayner held his right arm in front of him and tapped his foot impatiently while the chip data streamed and glowed around it. The programs governing his use of chip data seemed to sense his urgency for the glow surrounding his arm resolved more quickly than normal. A look alike to the CannonDumb's barrel appeared in the matte yellow of Rayner's arm with the black stripes around the barrel and horizontally across the side. Rayner brought his other arm up to brace as the green cursors appeared in his eyes as he tracked the sword carrying viruses. His eyes flashed and the canon on his arm barked twice.

Rayner flicked his arm to the side to help disperse some of the smoke rising from the barrel even as his arm glowed white and shifted again. Electricity crackled across shifting form as it transformed into the form he had used with the MaruBlaster chip earlier. An extra jolt of green electricity crackled down his arm as he raised it to fire again. There was the telltale flash of blue to green in Rayner's eyes and then the disk of electricity was hurled at the CannonDumb, flashes of green lightning arcing across it's surface.

--Summary--
1) Cannon 60 + Knockback @ Swordy-N A, Accuracy A
*Snipe
2) Cannon 60 + Knockback + Seeking @ Swordy-N B, Accuracy A
3) Marublaster1 75 Elec + Glitch@ CannonDumb A, Accuracy B

Rayner whistled in approval of Pyre's rather stalwart actions before engaging the Swordy nearest to him with a cannon shot. He also looked to take out the final remaining sword-wielding virus, but it had been cut in half down the middle by Pyre's spear. Rayner didn't let Pyre have the opportunity to even up the score, for he zapped the lone Spooky to oblivion with his MaruBlaster. The field went quiet again, now littered with fragmenting viral remains and glowing rewards from the battle.

Unfortunately there were no battlechip packets laying amongst the zenny, but Rayner did win the wager.

VICTORY!
Enemies

-Scattered around area-
SpookyA: DELETED [Pyre]
SpookyC: DELETED [Rayner]
SpookyD: DELETED [Rayner]

Makeshift Bunker: MELT'D
-Behind Bunker-
CannonDumbA: DELETED [Rayner]
CannonDumbB: DELETED [Rayner]
CannonDumbC: DELETED [Pyre]
Swordy-N EX: DELETED [Pyre]

-Flanking Bunker-
Swordy-N A: DELETED [Rayner]
Swordy-N B: DELETED [Pyre]

Terrain
100% Normal

Allies
Rayner.EXE: 125HP [Kill count: 14] Rewards: 110z, 2FXP
Pyre.EXE: 60HP [Kill count: 12] Rewards: 2FXP
It was over. Rayner could let the tensing of his shoulders drop away, he was a bit surprised since he never sense it building.. It was disappointing in a ncouple of ways. He had been looking forwards to joining forces with the winged Nav and learning about his scar. He had been looking forward to (more) challenging fights even though he knew this was a basic sweep and clear mission. Finally he'd been looking forward to fighting more with Pyre, and seeing what inspiration he could draw from fighting beside the fiery warrior, especially since she seemed strangely maneuverable for having half her legs deleted. A silent bit of programming triggered and those thoughts were pushed from the front of his mind. That was the way life worked after all, sometimes you got what you wanted and sometimes you just didn't learn everything about a situation. At least he had won his little self-suggested competition, it would have been embarrassing to lose with the lead he had held.

"Nicely done there! Thought for sure I'd get all three before you closed ranks but you're quicker on your feet than some folks who actually have feet." Maybe Rayner shouldn't be so friendly with his employer after not knowing the pair for long but he did not care. The worse she could do at this point would be to renegade on payment in his opinion, and that wasn't a concern for him. Joan could be heard typing quickly and probably angrily though. "I'm surprised damage like that didn't affect for your mobility, but there's no arguing with results. Especially when they're effective and fun results."

The chip data bound to his arm glowed bright white and began to disintegrate, fading away as it fell up and revealing his normal claw prosthetic in its place. He gave the arm an experimental flex, most of his attention still on Pyre as he began to work his way towards her. He did pause to scoop up some shiny Zenny which he quickly downloaded and sent PET-wards. It was then he noticed a few angry lines of text from Joan which he raised his now-appearing eyebrows at and then ignored in favor of paying more attention to his battle partner's response.

"I must say it almost feels like this job is over too quickly, your prep work was excellent." He took an evaluating look around then, taking in what damage had been done by the Navis and the viruses. He turned back to Pyre and gave her an unseen grin that was translated into his mask's eyes turning into happy arches. The Navi wasn't too annoyed, he was slowly getting use to working with a much more limited range of expressiveness. "With any luck it won't take long to clean up. I don't think I'd be any help with that, no matter how good I'd look in a maid's dress." There was an abrupt coughing noise from Joan as if she'd choked on air and Rayner gave Pyre a wink to show that teasing his NetOp had been the real objective with that line.

"That's, oh you really need to quit with the cross-dressing comments." Joan muttered, shaking her head as a little video screen with her face popped into existance next to Rayner. She straightened up and turned her attention to Pyre, giving her best 'please ignore the idiot' smile. Her expression shifted to something a more serious as she spoke though. "Are you sure that's the last of the viral activity? I'd hate for us to leave and then you find there's more lurking about."

"Ah, if that was the last fight I do believe I've won the bet." Rayner remarked, the grin audible in his voice even as the mask did its silly little happy arch thing.
Pyre looked down at her robes, giving a slightly pouty look before shrugging. "Oh well, nothing a program reload can't fix," she said to herself as she picked up her own spoils from the battle. Parts of her slashed robes dragged across the floor as she floated about, luckily the floor was almost clinically sanitized, save for the scars of the battle. She turned as Rayner spoke out to her, commending her actions and noting her unhindered mobility, considering her partial lack of lower extremities. "Thanks, you did admirably as well, I had to focus on trying to keep up with you," she replied with a smile. "Luckily for us the damage was mostly cosmetic, and yes it does allow for fun results." If anything, the lighthearted conversation helped her unwind from the stresses of the battle.

Pyre too looked around as Rayner noted the lack of viral data, it appeared the pair had successfully cleared the drive of all viral activity. Rayner's comment about helping to clean up, especially his mention of being in a maid outfit, elicited a giggle from his floating comrade. "Hahaha, I see your point. The damage to the drive is minimal, a simple defrag should do the trick to get the place back to its original state." Rayner's NetOp appeared, confirming if it was indeed the last pocket of viral activity. Joanna's window opened as well, addressing the group. [[i]"It appears so, there aren't many places to hide in this area. If there are any isolated viruses around, we should be able to take care of them ourselves. We appreciate the help,"[/i]] Pyre bowed her head politely before presenting her open right hand to Rayner. A chip packet and zenny data glowed on her palm as she extended it to the Navi. "Yes, thank you very much for the help. And indeed you did win the bet, the Guard chip is yours, as well as some zenny for your trouble."

Rayner GET: Guard1, 1500z