MGX

Introduction

This will be a closed session play tabletop style game based in the FM universe, but with MMBN elements. The world map is the Earth's globe. Places and names you are familiar with now do in fact exist largely unaltered in this setting, which occurs in the early 22nd century. In this time period, the technology to seriously develop and deploy mechs called Wanzers (short for Wanderpanzer, which is German for Walking Tank) exists. And they do live up to that moniker in every way implied. More on that later.

It is more important to note that the technology of the time is much like the technology of today, only... more so. Cars and such still exist, although the reliance on oil and petrol to make them work does not (more on the interesting aftereffects of that later, too). There are space stations, a station on Mars, and a station on the moon, while asteroids are being mined to supply resources to keep everything going. But there is no serious space colonization effort underway at this time. Power has moved towards the 'green' side in a radical way, too.

Computers have advanced at the same ridiculous pace, and the general unit of measurement for drive space is something I can only guess at... say an Exabyte. Realistically speaking, AI development, and software development in general, should have advanced to the point that what we know here as Navigators could feasibly exist in this setting. As such, I am including them, because... why not? Just know that they are not called Navigators, and are referred to as AIs. They are not used for merely surfing the web, and are used for quick and intelligent command executions across a broad spectrum of practical applications. They are also expensive, and not everyone owns one. They are also customized specifically for the user's needs, and the very idea of a generic AI assistant is... not a thing. Not yet, anyway.

In this age, medical tech has also advanced to the point that cybernetic implants, replacement limbs, and robotic organs are a fact of life. Cybernetics are expensive, although they are much more readily available in this setting than they are today. They're also far more advanced. Even so, nobody sane is going to replace large portions of their body mass with cybernetic gear. This is not shadowrun, and street samurai do not run about with more hardware than human flesh. That simply is not a thing. Magic is also not a thing. Just wanted that out of the way.

Beyond the tech of the era is the feel and political climate of the era itself. The world is neither in a state of utopia, nor a state of dystopia. The problems of the average person vary by where they live, and, while different in focus, are not terribly different overall from the trials and tribulations of someone living today. Medicine and technology have evolved to make life better, sure, but it's not a giant leap forward. The politics of the era have advanced along the lines of how many predicted they would today, with some silly twists in places. Many first world nations have banded together to form larger meta-nations and economic blocs, or have simply absorbed nearby nations and renamed themselves in the process. I could write about this all day, but really... Wikipedia does it better.

The starting point for the game is Toronto, Canada, U.S.N. The in-game start date is February 2nd, 2112 A.D.

Modus Operandi

MGX will operate in two ways: play by post and session play, with the former being the main mode of game play due to extreme scheduling issues. As these issues have slowed down an otherwise quick tabletop game, the following will be expected of each player in order to keep gameplay running at a decent pace:

[li] All players are required to roleplay in some way every turn (unless some exception comes up). Unlike, say, an RE:RN post, a roleplay post for MGX can be just a few words (though realistically, most roleplay is going to be a few sentences). There is no minimum word count or anything observed in this game. You are not going to be pumping out 2+-pages-in-word roleplay posts... possibly ever. In fact, posting a couple of paragraphs is pretty big, much less a page or more. This is a tabletop, so you are expected to roleplay all the time, but you aren't expected to write a novel doing it. :'D

[li] Posts in MGX are short and not particularly taxing, thus each player will be required to post once per day to keep game flow at a steady pace. Failure to do so will lead to eventual ejection from the game.

[li] Players may be reminded or told that it is their turn to post, but they may not badger other players about posting more than once per day. Being told once, usually by the GM or the player who posted before them, is all that is required. Ditto only one post per day is required.

[li] Be respectful to your fellow players. It's hard to want to work together with a player who is always telling everyone off when they don't feel like posting, or a player who is insulting to one or more other players for some reason or another. Ditto for people badgering others to post. This game is going to be difficult for a group of people working together, so a group of people at odds with each other? Totally doomed. I also won't put up with repeated bad conduct, so keep that in mind.

[li] Players who have other activities, trips, etc. that may prevent them from posting should let me, the GM, know by Forum PM in advance. I will, in turn, let everyone else know. Life comes first, sure, but don't leave me thinking you're just skipping out. Likewise, I will also let everyone know if I am going to be unable to post in advance. Communication is key.

[li] If an emergency comes up, and they do, please inform me as soon as you are able. Many unexplained lapses in activity will result in expulsion from the game. Likewise, I will inform everyone if something came up. Stuff happens, so let everyone know.

• Posts asking for direct GM feedback should be marked with [Interjection] at the bottom of the post. This tells me I need to respond immediately, and lets every other player know to hang back and let me post. I will inform the next player of who needs to post when I am done responding. The turn order reverts to whatever it should normally have been after that player's response.

Session play, known to some as speed posting, will be less common. Session play can occur only if all players are free to attend a session at a given time. Determining when a session will be held will happen well in advance of said session, and will require that all players communicate with me about their schedules. If I am able to find a time slot that works for everyone, I will then officially announce a date and time through Forum PM and update the bottom of this post as a public backup. With regards to session, the following is expected of every player:

[li] Please be respectful to other players and do not multitask (such as playing a game, watching youtube, or chatting elsewhere and ignoring our session) while a session is being held (or I will toss you out and replace you). The game needs to flow, and having to constantly wait for an inattentive player is irritating. You wouldn't go to a tabletop session, then run off to the bathroom to sit with your iPhone most of the time, so don't do that kind of thing here, please.

[li] If you cannot be at a session, tell me as far in advance as possible, preferably days ahead of time, please. Stuff does come up, and I understand that, but try not to turn that into a regular thing because I will then be forced to replace you to keep the game running. Just like any tabletop.

[li] Show up on time. I'll allow some leeway, since stuff does happen, but don't be late or MIA on a constant basis. That's just disrespectful to the other players and me.

[li] Posting order will be determined by initiative (combat) or player consensus (all other times). I generally wait until all players have acted before responding unless it is appropriate that I respond sooner. In instances where the players would like a quicker response from me, they may request an [interjection] in the chat. After my response, the turn order resumes where it left off. I may also interject in the middle of a turn if necessary, but I tend to keep that to a minimum.

[li] All players are required to roleplay in some way every turn (unless some exception comes up). Unlike, say, an RE:RN post, a roleplay post for MGX can be just a few words (though realistically, most roleplay is going to be a few sentences). There is no minimum word count or anything observed in this game. You are not going to be pumping out 2+-pages-in-word roleplay posts... possibly ever. In fact, posting a couple of paragraphs is pretty big, much less a page or more. This is a tabletop, so you are expected to roleplay all the time, but you aren't expected to write a novel doing it. :'D

• This isn't a rule, so much as a strong suggestion: work together. The game world is already going to be trying to kill your characters off, so don't make my job easier, as it were.

In addition to the above, solo or smaller group session play is possible, as are multiple threads of simultaneous play. These things will be worked out as the need arises, but the above rules and guidelines do still apply. Just know that you are expected to attend sessions, follow the above guidelines, and play as a team. Above all else, have fun. (If you are not having fun, tell me. I want to know. Though if you are having fun, I also want to know that. It's a great motivator. :'D )

That about covers it.

The current player roster:
- Chardes
- Raikou
- Harbin
- Fera

The main current posting order:
- Fera
- PaladinGC (GM)

The next game session:

Whee~♪

Your Character

Intro to the setting aside, players will construct a Human character, and optionally may create an AI character as well. It is advised that Human characters range between 18 and 40 years of age, and that they are not seriously crippled to the point where mobility or awareness is impaired by any stretch. A player's Human character is key, and their survival in this game is of the utmost importance if they wish to continue playing. AI characters and any potentially acquired hardware such as a vehicle or Wanzer are disposable. That's not a pretty way to say it, but that's how it is.

Creating a Human character follows a fairly simple template:

[b]Name:[/b] Needs to be a realistic name. Common name and surname required, but middle name is optional. Titles like Dr. may be added if your character is one.
[b]Age:[/b] Required. Age range is 18-40 years old.
[b]Gender:[/b] Required.

[b]Physical Description:[/b] This is what your character looks like. Weight, height, hair color, eye color, skin tone, hair style, various identifying marks, cybernetic limbs, etc etc etc. You may make as many sub sections to this as you desire, if you feel like describing how they look in various outfits. You may, and possibly will, change this as the game progresses, as this will reflect physical changes to your character brought about through gameplay.

[b]Personality:[/b] I do require this, but I don't require a great deal of detail in the beginning. I just want a vague notion of what the character will be like, myself. On the other hand, this section is of primal importance to you, the player, since you will likely use this to remind yourself of what your character is like. I do fully encourage players to edit and update this section of their sheets every few sessions, even if it's just adding footnotes or bullet points. This is a reflection of true character growth, after all.

[b]History:[/b] Tell me about the character's background. Knowing where a character comes from and how they came to be who they are today is important.

[b]Job:[/b] What does your character do for a living? College student is acceptable, but highschool student is really disadvantaged. On that note: no highschoolers.

[u][b]STATS[/b][/u]
[b]HP:[/b] How much punishment your character can take before they keel over. The starting value is: 1d10 + CON
[b]Strength:[/b] How physically strong your character is. Range is between 8 and 18.
[b]Dexterity:[/b] How good a character's motor control and reflex response is. Range is between 8 and 18.
[b]Constitution:[/b] How hardy and healthy your character is. Range is between 8 and 18.
[b]Intelligence:[/b] How smart, mentally agile, and able to learn a character is. Range is between 8 and 18.
[b]Wisdom:[/b] A measure of a character's common sense, intuition, and general awareness. Range is between 8 and 18.
[b]Charisma:[/b] A measure of a character's strength of personality and how attractive they seem to others. Range is between 8 and 18.

[u][b]Skills/Abilities/Education[/b][/u][list]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[/list]
- We will decide your skill set together. Your history and job will affect this as much as your stats.

[u][b]Inventory[/b][/u][list]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[/list]
- I will help you with your starting inventory. It will be pretty mundane at the start.

Use this calculator to determine your stats. Stats will be purchased on a standard 40 point buy. This is far above the average, to be sure. Even so, the game will be challenging.

Your starting skills will be affected by your job, education, and intelligence stat. We will discuss how when deciding them.

Your starting inventory should include anything your character would normally carry around with them when going about their day to day lives. This would include clothing, wallet/purse, various ID and credit/debit cards, keys, pocket change... you get the idea. What your character does for a living and their history affects this greatly.

Overall, the game will be pretty light on rules the player needs to reference. Success checks for a given action will be done against your basic stats, but your skills section will affect this. Even so, the number of die rolls needed during play will be kept to an absolute minimum. It is possible, though unlikely, that an entire session may occur in which zero die rolls are made. Your roleplay is more important in this game than the whims of the RNGoddess.

Just a warning, but character death is possible, and even likely, in this game. Actions that are intelligent, such as taking cover when you hear gunshots, is rewarded with a higher likelihood of survival. Actions such as checking for an LPG leak with a match are also... "rewarded". The difficulty curve is steep. Try your best to keep your character alive.

If you have any questions about your character, please contact me.

Your AI Partner

As stated previously, this game is a mix of FM and MMBN, so the equivalent of Navigators exist in this setting. Not all characters will have or need one, but the option is there. Before I cover what the character generation rules are, I will first cover some changes to the core rule set, which is otherwise the RE:RN rule set.

- Blast1 and Nova1 are allowed in signatures, but liberally adding them to everything is ill advised.
- Passive signatures have been removed from this game.
- In place of passive signatures, player may purchase from a vastly expanded selection of NaviCust parts that pretty much do the same things, only better.
- Speed is a measure of initiative, rather than actions per turn. Speed also only grants 1 level per upgrade.
- Your character starts with 3 Speed by default. There isn't a hard cap at this time.
- Chip data is stored in flash memory cards until loaded into memory. Yep, digital storage is a thing, so chip slotting is not necessary unless installing, swapping, or uninstalling chip data.
- Upgrade prices on RE:RN are not carried over into this game at all. Everything will be handled differently.
- Undershirt costs 5 NC to install.
- The EJO system is now a 5 NC cost program, and you get it with the starter kit free.
- There are no Crosses, BeastOuts, or Support Programs.
- Subtype abilities and NaviCust programs now work on a per-Round basis, where a Round is 6 Turns, and a turn is 10 seconds.
- A Turn is composed of a movement and an action.

Use the standard RE:RN rules set to generate your character. Your AI will start at level 5. To get to this level, you may opt to pick up to one level's worth of chips, and as many Speed, Buster, HP, and NC upgrades as this cap will allow. You are given the normal starter package, and are additionally allowed to completely fill your NC space with programs you could buy in the shop.

A starting chip list you may pick from will be supplied when asked for. The chips selected from it must match your AI's element, and you cannot pick duplicates. Exceptions are made if the chips chosen already come as part of the default starter pack.

[b]Name:[/b] Fairly lax, unlike Human characters.
[b]Element:[/b] Required.
[b]Subtype:[/b] Required.
[b]Gender:[/b] Optional.

[b]Physical Description:[/b] Describe what your AI looks like in their default form. Additional forms can be added later.

[b]Personality:[/b] I do require this, but I don't require a great deal of detail in the beginning. I just want a vague notion of what the character will be like, myself. On the other hand, this section is of primal importance to you, the player, since you will likely use this to remind yourself of what your character is like. I do fully encourage players to edit and update this section of their sheets every few sessions, even if it's just adding footnotes or bullet points. This is a reflection of true character growth, after all.

[b]History:[/b] Tell me about the character's background. Knowing where a character comes from and how they came to be who they are today is important.

[b]Custom Weapon:[/b] or weapons. Describe the character's custom buster weapon. It is okay to have more than one, but they should be assigned to specific buster or attack functions in that case. Be creative.

[b]Level:[/b] Your AI's level.

[b]HP:[/b] Current HP/Max HP.
[b]Speed:[/b] How fast your AI processes data.
[b]Buster:[/b] Attack/Rapid/Charge.

[spoiler=NaviCust (---/---)] List the contents of your Navicust here and be sure to track your current NC use/max NC capacity. Yeah, I'm not going to be silly and change this to AICust. It is what it is. Let's just call it that.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Signature Attacks (----/----)] You will list your signature attacks here. The stuff in parentheses back there are your currently used sig pool/max sig pool. You know the drill here.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Folder (--/--)] The same as above, only for battlechips. The numbers in the parentheses are your current folder capacity usage/max folder capacity.[/spoiler]

Your Wanzer

...or other vehicle.

This is not of primal importance at this time. I will post information here pertaining to Wanzers as it becomes relevant to you.

One thing that will be important even before Wanzers become relevant to players is the damage and defense classes. In this game, every weapon deals a damage type. There are 5 damage types:

Fire (F): Flame throwers and explosive weapons such as Grenades, Rockets, Missiles, and Bazookas deal this type of damage. In general, heat based damage will be Fire. Wanzers, and even people to a lesser degree, can be armored against Fire type damage.

Impact (I): Blunt force damage. This damage type is seen on most Wanzer melee weapons such as Busters, Hard Fist, and Rods. Shotguns and Bazookas also deal impact damage by default. Wanzers, and Humans to a lesser extent, can be armored against Impact type damage.

Slashing (S): A very rare damage type among Wanzer weapons, to be sure. Slashing is mainly seen on anti-personnel weapons and hand to hand blades wielded by people. Wanzers are never seriously armed with slashing type weapons, as all Wanzers, by their very nature, are resistant to this damage type and no further armoring is necessary. People, on the other hand, have to wear armor for protection against it.

Piercing (P): Penetrating weapons deal this sort of damage. The majority of ranged weaponry, such as machine guns, gatlings, pistols, rifles, and cannons, all deal Piercing damage. Pile Bunkers are also notable as piercing melee weapons for Wanzers. Piercing is a damage type that can be armored against by Humans and Wanzers.

Neutron (N): This damage type belongs exclusively to experimental ranged particle weaponry. Not to be mistaken for beam weaponry that deals damage with extreme heat, (N) class weapons smash the target at the atomic level with streams of subatomic particles and Neutron radiation. This is the only damage class that has no form of mitigating defense. If, and I mean if, you ever see a weapon with (N) class damage, the target will take full damage from the shot every time if it connects. On the other hand, you are likely never to see one of these weapons, much less use it. It should be noted that (N) class weapons have a ridiculously high Action Point cost to fire.

It should be noted that some weapons, such as Bazookas, deal multiple damage types. Other weapon types may switch modes to deal different damages, or special weapons of a given class may exist that deal damage types that are not normally seen with that class of weapon. Generally speaking, Fire, Impact, and Piercing are of equal utility, with no damage type among them being better than another. Slashing, on the other hand, is only really any good against lightly armored or unarmored targets. Neutron damage is amazing, but really only listed for reference as encountering it is, at best, unlikely.
It's- it's not like I like your game idea a lot or anything- I'm just saying I want to join to keep you guys under control!
A certain character of mine trapped in another certain mini-RP needs to live.
You've both been accepted by the current playgroup, so... we've got a full roster. Welcome to the group, and registrations are closed.

*thumbs up*
After a lot of fiddling, planning, and whatnot, MGX should be ready to resume at this time.

Please note that Passive Signatures have been removed from MGX, and a huge assortment of new NCPs have been added to replace them. If you need to edit your character to reflect this, please find me on Steam.

I might raise the starting Navi level to make this transition smoother. (That doesn't mean more free chips. =P )