The Legacy of Greed

Greed.

Another sin.

Almost as bad as Hope.

What has it left us?

Just the hunger for more.

Specifications/Instructions

Download the books from these links here. They contain all the info you'll need and more.
[d20 Modern]
[d20 Future]

d20 Modern Character Generator Link
At 'Roll the Dice', pick 'Point Buy', and take the points no higher than 32. You can bring it *lower* if you like, I suppose... but what's the point of that? Your race must be human. If you want to be a robot, you have to talk to me. Your level is 5, and don't be taking anything that comes from the Urban Arcana sourcebook. You'll be also be starting with a set amount of action points, namely 15.

Layman's Terms:

Stats: 32 Point Buy
Level: 5
Books: d20 Modern (link to download), d20 Future up to PL6 (link to download)
Action Points: 15 (To Start)

Setting

Progress Level 6: FUSION AGE

The development of fusion power provides an efficient, nonexpendable energy source that almost obliterates the need for chemical fuel sources. Advanced space exploration and colonization become possible. Computers become even more accessible, reliable, and powerful, leading to the development of virtual systems and widespread access to the global Internet.

Slowly, society experiences another revolution as individual nations are replaced by world powers. Megacorporations number among these new superpowers as the line between the national citizen and corporate employee is rendered indistinct. Armed with the means to eradicate the entire species, the world powers keep conflicts to the level of skirmishing and posturing, and integration of the Information Age's improvements proceed peacefully.

Scientific advancements in genetic engineering lead to artificial evolution and the first government- and corporate-sanctioned attempts to genetically manipulate human beings. Early results are encouraging, with the manifestation of positive and negative mutations in the species toward the end of the age. Scientists also perfect cloning technology, and the first human clones are created.

In the later years of this age, the first crude applications of gravity induction technology appear, in the form of civilian and military vehicles that can move through the air without using physical propulsion or consumption of fuel.

Chemical-powered explosives and firearms remain the weapons of choice; fusion technology can't be effectively miniaturized for personal combat. Nevertheless, advanced chemistry and superconducting technology change the materials and capabilities of many weapons. True spaceships become possible, propelled by powerful fusion drives, but still require a reaction mass to traverse space.

The age sees the tenuous settlement of other planets and asteroids within the same star system.

Background

The Earth's resources were plundered and near gone before the discovery of Fusion technology took place. This tentative source of energy was at first disregarded in the United States, but as the potential was realized, oil prices suddenly plummeted. All looked well, until overpopulated China allied with North Korea to annex both Japan and South Korea. The resulting war over Japan finally went nuclear.

The stock market crashed, but that didn't really matter anymore.

At the end of the war, over a third of the world's population had been scoured from the face of the earth. Space stations declared martial law, of which resulted several 'dead' stations. Others actually began flourishing as a result.

The colonies on the moon simply ignored the mess, running and minding their own 'businesses'. Their issues were similar, but resulted in split goverments. Theirs was relatively calm in reference to the major turbulence going on Earth.

Why would you care, though?

It's not your business, part of a legacy that is slowly being forgotten, those scars slowly healing.

You're on a space station. Whether you lived out your life there or just recently arrived. Whether a poster advertising or the draft roped you in.

You're part of the Military now.

Congratulations.

Wealth

Wealth and You:
A newly created 5th-level character's Wealth bonus is +0 plus:
• Wealth provided by the character's starting occupation.
• Bonus from the Windfall feat, if taken.
• +4 for being in existence.
• +1 for having 1 to 4 ranks in the Profession skill.

How Wealth Bonus Decreases Work:

[li]Buy Something Above 15 DC: -1 to Wealth Bonus
    [li]Buy Something 1-10 Above Your Wealth Bonus: -1 to Wealth Bonus
    [li]Buy Something 11-15 Above Your Wealth Bonus: -4 to Wealth Bonus
  • Buy Something 16-20 Above Your Wealth Bonus: -8 to Wealth Bonus

Your Means to Acquire Weapons and Items

You are currently able to acquire a number of weapons from the military via their weapons depot, as well as armor. This leads to being able to acquire weapons and armor you wouldn't normally be able to. You can acquire anything you can make a wealth check for up to Lic (+1) items in PL 6. You can add 'gadgets' onto these items as long as the combined wealth check does not go over your wealth+20. If your wealth reaches +0, you cannot buy anything at or above DC 10.

Please consult with me if you need help. (As well as your equipment orders.) Just a warning, I reserve the right to say no. Usually for legit reasons, or for simple things such as 'Balance'.

Waiting List

If you wish to apply to this RP, follow the above instructions and make your character, private message your character to me, and you'll join in the event someone else ceases to live.

Houserules

Death: Death comes into play not when you only get hit by a truck and thus massive damage or being hacked down- but when your constitution modifier reaches its number. Thus, if Darry Greenwell, a compulsive neurotic with a Constitution score of 8 and total hitpoints of 5 at first level gets hit by a gun dealing 6 damage, then getting hit for another 7 damage would kill him.

Simple Terms: Your Constitution score in Negative HP means you're dead.

Rule 0: This may be invoked.

Stupidity: Don't be stupid, and you probably won't die. Be really stupid and you probably will die. By Stupid, I mean "LET'S STEP ON THIS MINE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS", not "Durr, Myron friend." stupid.

Playing it Smart: Have fun, but if you come up with a really good idea and put it into action, you can get up to +8 on the roll. Likewise with good RPing, you can get +8 for good RP. Thus, you can get up to +16 on any roll, with a good idea and good RPing.

Current Characters

Player Name: Bomber
Name: Mill Ellse
Class: Smart Hero 3/Engineer 2

Player Name: Twi
Name: Raimus Macguffin
Class: Smart Hero 3/Charismatic Hero 2

Player Name: Shuryou
Name: Marchande Rose
Class: Fast Hero 3/Gunslinger 2

Player Name: Robotek
Name: Dan Preto
Class: Dedicated Hero 3/Tracer 2

Player Name: Kazuhiro
Name: Amara Ruxis
Class: Fast Hero 3/Infiltrator 2

OOC:Bought Items

Quote (Robotek's Stuff)

-Trenchcoat
-Autofire Compact Laser Pistol Only fires when a certain word is said
-5 Laser Trip-Wires
-Display Glasses
Nanobeacon

0 Wealth Remaining

Quote (Shuryou's Stuff)

- Leather Jacket (4 lb.) (-1 Wealth)
- Colt Python Revolver (3 lb.)
- Colt Python Revolver (3 lb.)
- .357 calibur bullets (50) (1 lb.)
- Disguise Kit (5 lb.)
- Hip Holster (1 lb.)
- Hip Holster (1 lb.)
- Flash Goggles (2 lb.) (-1 Wealth)
- Casual Clothing (2 lb.) (-1 Wealth)
- Chemical Light Sticks (5) (1 lb.)

23 lb. (light load)
+3 Wealth Remaining
The room- is not too large. It's about 40 feet wide and 30 feet long. Economical for what it's supposed to be used for. Unfortunately, it's being used to brief the five of you.

The man who's briefing you is pointing and insulting your man/womanhood with all the epithets he can muster. He seems to be quite good at it, although his method of informing you of your mission could use some work.

"Well. You've joined the military, or should I say 'Joined'." The Major stands before you as he makes the scathing quote marks in the air. His attitude is sullen and somewhat depressed as he talks to the five of you while wildly gesticulating.

"Now, you folk have been prepared or so I've been told, and I'm supposed to brief you on what you're supposed to do." He waves at the screen behind him as it flickers, then gives a representation.

"You'll be taking off from Phobos Station Bay 2E, and it'll take you about 2 weeks to get to Deimos Station. You'll be boarding via one of the various airlocks. You'll most likely have to breach, as we don't 'know for certain' if any factions are faithful to us or want to leave and such." Mister Major obviously doesn't like the intelligence community on Phobos Station either.

"So I advise you prepare anything you might need in the short term aboard the shuttle. I'll need what you wish to purchase and regulations require that you keep your purchase to Licensed or below." He pauses for a moment.

"We would be sending you small fry in one of the Mechanical Suits we were supposed to receive from one of the Lunar colonies, but it seems to have been intercepted, or at least delayed." You can almost hear him mutter, "Is there anything else..?"

"Oh right. There'll be two other teams breaching as well. They'll announce themselves, and as thus we hope you'll follow all procedures or face immediate court martial upon returning to this station."

"Any-- Questions..?"
Amara raised her hand silently, peeking out from under her hair, which was as ratty as always. Then she held her hand aloft, as if waiting to be called on. When, after several seconds, she was denied, she asked "What's our objective, sir? I mean..." She trailed off, clearly embarrassed.

[ooc]Hey, I sent you my gear. I did. For reals. You saw it, right?[/ooc]
"Two Questions" Dan asked nonchalantly "One, who are you grabbing us off the street and sending up on what seems to be an important mission... Two, who the hell are we dealing with there and why can't we just hitch a ride in on one of their shuttles?" While talking he placed his sunglasses on. "Oh, and what are we getting paid" He added
"Hrm..." Marchande thought to herself and looked from side to side to identify the faces. After having seen all faces, she nodded to herself and shrugged as she started to speak as well. "Who are these guys?" she said with a smile on her face, then turned to Amara and continued to talk, "It's good to know I'm not the only girl in this mission. I'm Marchande. I twirl guns. What's it you do?"
Amara glanced over at the woman addressing her, and tried to smile, clearly nervous. "I, um... they trained me in espionage... I learned how to infiltrate. I guess because I'm not much good for anything else. You probably shouldn't get to know me too well, since I don't expect to live through this mission." Her smile vanished as she examined her teammate, then turned her attention back to the man who'd briefed them.

Whatever the mission was, Amara was sure that she'd be a burden, a burden that would quickly be relieved from the team once she was inevitably killed. All she was good at was being small. She wasn't a gifted hacker or a steady shot. Nothing. Slightly miserable, but little more than usual, she waited for an answer to her initial question.
Raimus simply tapped the upper edge of the right lens of his goggles with a finger; a nervous habit, really.

These people he was supposed to be working with seemed pretty interesting. A sort of ragged-looking woman-- Amara, if he had overheard properly-- a guy who gave off this weird, stuck-up vibe, the second girl, 'Marchande', as she had so willingly provided, and- Raimus glanced at the last member of their group, who had yet to do much of anything. Hmmm.
"You'll be entering this place as a security measure. We've got more well-trained squads entering from alternate breaches. As to why we're not doing this by infiltration, wars have broken out on their space station. We're going over there to 'batten down the hatch' and take what we can before it all goes to hell. If we can secure it, it'd be even better." He pauses for a moment. "Did I miss anything?"
"Hmmm" Dan hummed "So you're sayin we just are going there to secure...? Very good then.... Now I am going to need all information - We can get on who we are up against, why were are up against them, who leads them.... and.. anything else you can spare. We will need to know as much as reasonably possible if we want to survive..."
Dan stopped speaking for a moment to stretch before continuing
"Apparently you couldn't afford to give us any armor... so a single stray bullet can kill us... We will need to know everything we can so we don't end up dead."
"You just want us to break in and steal things?" Amara sounded confused, and she had forgotten to raise her hand this time too. "Can't we have instructions or something? A specific way out?"
Listening to the others quietly, fidgeting with her hands as she was getting bored due to the lack of movement, Marchande finally raised her hand after Dan had asked about information. "A map of the space station with details would be nice," she said, "Surely you must have something like that, right?"