Ghost's Town

;>>

We've been over this Arshe deal, dude.

And Aim (or Heat, I can never tell the two apart) has offered his services for face icons, and I'm not too bad at drawing myself as far as enemies are concerned. I've already done up a redone (but still RTP-Ghost style to fit the sprite) Boogie battler, a walking shrub, and a street thug. Lego's purely awesome with sprites, too, so I don't think you need to worry about the graphical aspects.

Quote (Gearpunk)

And Aim (or Heat, I can never tell the two apart) has offered his services for face icons, and I'm not too bad at drawing myself as far as enemies are concerned.

Little does Miek know that the twins also offered to help me once, but never did.
Edited for extremeness.
Eh, Shur, I still have myself and possibly Lor to fall back on in case the twins act with UNMITIGATED LAMENESS.

I'm already giving her a cameo, she damn well better work for me. D:<
FINE, I'LL BE YOUR BITCH.

Later.
Roight, well I'm here in sunny-yet-cold-as-that-really-cold-part-on-a-witch Redm -- <cough> -- Edmonton, and once again nerding my life away on the game when I should be doing math homework. It's a four-day weekend since I had to head up for my mom's convocation. She's a PhD in Engz. It's cooooool. She could probably fight Marco and Lor simultaneously now, being an English Doctor and all. Of course, she'd be more likely to offer then cookies instead, but everyone wins in that situation anyway.

Anyway, I'm gonna stagger back onto my train of thought here and tell you things about video games.

Thus far I've actually developed a bit of the plot. That is, I have some idea what's supposed to happen for the first hour or so in the game, but I have no idea why that stuff happens or what anyone's motivation is. I'm redoing some characters (Oogie who?,) scrapping some others (sorry, Sid and Jimi,) and adding a buncha new ones (who am I? Oh, that's right, I'm Heidegger the cat. Let me tell you a thing or two about game controls.) Also, there's a jazz bar now, among a few other locales. I'm very proud of that development. I've also figured out a thing or two eventwise, so that's cool. Might introduce a bestiary if I can figure out how to apply the script. By my next stint in Re -- Edmonton, I should have a lot of enemies scanned up and possibly inked and colored (thank god RMXP standards don't call for anything more than a passable job,) and some new sprites for a couple characters I've been toying with that don't call for enough of an edit to justify bugging Lego about them.

In short, things are starting to happen. I'm not toying around with the engine any more, I'm actually making a game. It's FUN, too. Man, I haven't had so much fun since I discovered Paper Mario in grade 6 or 4 or whatever it was. You should all have this much fun EVERY DAY. If you don't, you're being a downer and I don't want to talk to you.

Capice?
Capush.

I'll try to get another demo out by Sunday before I go.

P.S.
Isn't Heidegger a cool name for a cat? He's based off a real-life cat I know who sometimes forgets who he is.
Liek Miek!

>:3
Stuff's getting done, but I probably won't be able to get a demo out by the time I have to head back. It's probably for the better, anyway; I haven't been able to scan the battlers I drew, and I'd much rather get those in as soon as possible. I've been asking the nice gents at RMXP.org for help, and getting a lot more than I could get here; Caterpillar script to make your party follow you is a mite elusive, but all I need to do is ask.

Also, I've been bouncing between a sideview battle system and the standard frontview. On the one hand, the frontview battle system is simple and allows the use of artwork. On the other hand, the side view battle feels a lot more involved and is a lot prettier if implemented correctly. The cons; well, the front view system is plain and ugly, and the sideview battle system is very labor-intensive and would eliminate the use of battle art. Of course, I could probably ask for a script to replace the side battle sprites with full art in the Bestiary...

Opinions? I already have the script for the sideview battle system, I need only copy the necessary pieces in.
DUDES, DUDES.

I GOT A WINDOWS LAPTOP.

Six hundred wing-wangs. My mom footed the majority of that, so I assume I won't get much more in the way of gifts for the rest of the year. I can deal with that, though. As early Christmas presents go, this is totally awesome.

Basically, this means that I can work on the RPG wherever, whenever. Of course, there are restrictions mainly based on schoolwork and the like, but things are generally a lot more convenient for me now.

In addition, some fine gent at RMXP.ORG has agreed to script an edit to the Bestiary for me. If all goes well, he'll allow me to choose the pictures it shows. That means I can get the best of both worlds; the beauty and atmosphere of the side-view system, with the detail of the standard system.

I'll get some sort of update once I feel like things are ready enough. I've been building backwards lately; making an intro to what I already have, and changing what I already have to fit what I've been thinking about. Once I've updated things up to the point where my last demo left off, I'll build from there. I already have a couple minor storyarcs set up in my head (including the Boogie one,) a midsize one, and one that more or less spans the entire game.

Good stuff's happening. Lego, I don't need the Arshe edits anymore, but I'd like you to get the cats to me soon as possible.
You can count on the felines arriving.............. on... arrival.

Er.

But yeah. *Headbuts the game into stability*

Well, crap. Production's halted 'till Christmas. Computer gremlins have very little to do with it, although not being able to convince my computer that it's actually three years and fifteen minutes later than it insists it is is problematic.

The main problem is that I've been getting lazy again. No, not here. I've always been lazy here. But I've been getting lazy IRL, which leads to little or no studying on my part, which leads to reduced marks... Mid-seventies, mostly, and how I get that much is totally beyond me.

So I'm putting stuff second and school first. I 'spect I will until the end of the year.

This is a good thing, though; both the wakeup call and my commitment to do something about it. Seeing the game's they've got up on the jolly old RMXP.org is rather staggering, really; both the prospective workload and the sheer creativity. Anyone who's familiar with a certain blue navi with helmet blades could tell you creativity is something I don't have an awful lot of. I'm good with words, but ideas? No way!

Anyway, this will give me some time to think about the plot. I'm hardly attached to what I have so far; if I have to scrap a week's worth of work, so be it! It's a pittance, yano? I'll sit and think, and think, and think, and think, and think, and think, and think, and think, and come out with something that can actually see the light of day as compared with what else is there.

Of course, that may just be my hereditary optimism. When your dad's happy he got cancer, you know you've got some serious juju in the bloodstream.

Anyway, bottom line, nothing for a long time. When I get another prelim demo out, you can expect it's gonna be something dynamically different from what's there.

But I'll still need those cats. XD
Well, I'm a liar. I've been searching for scripts and resources in my spare time, while thinking about the plot and bouncing potential concept art around in my head. I've been working in it in a very ethereal sense, as nothing's actually getting done. I'd say I'm in pre-production right now. I hope to have most of the game planned out by the time I actually start making it.

I've recently found the battle scripts I need. This is by no means the end of my script hunting, though; I expect I'll go through dozens more to add functionality and such.

I've released a demo to give you some idea of what I'm going to try. Cheers.
Good Lawd!

It's like i've hit a brick wall with spriting. It's taken the back bench to reports and homework and a new sleeping schedule.

Oh, and WoW.

I'm awfully sorry, Miek. There's the cats you wanted, my Kurbee-O-Matic requests, and now i've got CollossusMan to worry about for this new sprite competition. While the prospect of making a game so soon is heartwarming at the least, nothing's gonna get done till I get some motivation.

Well, for the end of delays, Pre Merry Christmas.