A little advice on dnd shit

Yeah, so i've been working it as a beginner DM for a while now. I've done a few RL campaigns for a bit, just finished the second one after eight or so sessions. But i've found my favorite part about dnd is the roleplaying aspect of the game. What i've come to realize is doing RL games sets up for fun battles and puzzles, which is fun, i'm not denying that. But i've come to realize I miss character interaction and the like. Here's the problem. I start up a online campaign for one or more of my players, write up a badass story in a badass city, and write up npcs that I fall in love with. But I find when I write up a fucking huge paragraph of text full of color and flavor to describe the area, maybe toss in a potential encounter, they give me a one sentence reaction and move on. It really makes me feel like this is a one man game of dnd, which makes me look even more pathetic than normal. I figure, this is an RP board, so I was wondering if I could get a couple suggestions. Thoughts?
Take it from me, no matter how hard you try, no matter how hard you plan, your players will NEVER go through with the storyline you have sitting right there in front of them, waiting for them, calling them, begging for them. If you have something that far planned, force it on them, or just hope your lucky. If you know your players and their characters, try to lure them in.

I take the lazy approach, I pull the enitre adventure out of my ass. And do a damn good job of it too.

Quote (commondragon)

If you have something that far planned, force it on them, or just hope your lucky.

Please, only do this if you are a shitty railroading DM.

Part of DMing is knowing and adapting to your players, not shoving story down their unwilling throats. Nothing will kill a campaign faster than railroading.

Quote (raikotsu)

But I find when I write up a fucking huge paragraph of text full of color and flavor to describe the area, maybe toss in a potential encounter, they give me a one sentence reaction and move on. It really makes me feel like this is a one man game of dnd, which makes me look even more pathetic than normal.

Isn't it funny how this was basically the backwards of how some people feel about one-sentence mods here in response to their posts? XD Alternatively, I can't remember many mods being offended that people post one-lines in response to their well-thought out modposts: rather than be offended, the mod's rule is to thwack the person.

What I guess I'm getting at is that this strange role-reversal might mean the RP isn't as big of an analogy to DnD as some might think. However, I DO think that some people here might be able to relate to the idea of people not really responding to the grandeur of a situation they've set-up...

Well, I don't really know what advice to give either way, sorry. I know it does sound like a pain, though.