I...I just don't get it!

Why is it that people have to be supremacists?
Why do people have to be convinced of their superiority to one another?
Why, for God's sake, aren't we over Anti-Semetism?
It's at least 60 years old, I thought.
Yet, for some reason, people think it's suddenly 'cool' to call people 'Jew' as an insult.
Someone, explain, please.
Help me out here.
((I'm Jewish through culture, and family, but not in religion.))
Why do people drive on parkways and park on driveways?
Zero...
That wasn't a joke.
He said that to point out the obviousness in your questions and not as a joke Hiko. Let me put it this way...

Welcome to realiy Hiko, i'll be your most unsatisfying attendant because I have to. Today we will be taking a ride through teh path call life with unplesant and screwy people who vary in many personalities and break you until you fall to your kness like you are some kind of weak spirited worm with no spine. Enjoy the trip, and please don't go all emo for you will be rejected like the sad sight towards this world because you can't stop whining! Bye-Bye now!

In other words, that's just the way it is. That's what happens when a world filled with billions of people and personalities collide. (Obviously)
You know.
That was complete rhetoric?
I mean, really. XD
I didn't expect an answer. I expected familiarity.
Too bad, it's discussion you'll get. D:<

If there's one thing I've learned in my sixteen years upon this ruddy blue marble we call home (or Earth for all you astrology twits,) it's that humans beings are absolutely the worst things in existence and I hate them all, myself especially.

People like to feel good about themselves. How do they feel good about themselves? By putting themselves on a higher level than others. How do people set themselves above others? Well, usually the people who care about that sort of thing don't have much good to their name, so they lower other people and stand taller by comparison.

I think that's how people like Hitler manage to get so many followers in the first place. If someone created a movement declaring that you, yes, YOU, are better than race X, people would flock to it and feel genuinely fulfilled after they had dehumanized then demonized race X to an appropriate degree.

Oh, wait, they already have.

Bottom line?

People suck. They always will. And there's not a great deal you can do about without some degree of omnipotence.
I find it funny that people look to stamp out things like Antisemitism that many rational people understand is wrong, but are unwilling to make any attempt to get rid of the drive for superiority on a personal level. Examine your own life and you'll fine there are plenty of ways for you to improve humanity starting at an individual basis.
Oh, I do.
I'm crushing this outburst before it even gets a chance to start.
That's why I do TKD.
Naw, naw, just kidding, I just won't take it.
Well for using Jew as an insult, its more the stereotype. It's like calling feminine people gay, even though many homosexuals are not overly flamboyant. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I'll admit I've used the term once or twice (really not that much compared to alot of people), and thats it does not make fun of the culture, similar the attributes associated with it. On a similar note, was there a historical time period where Jewish people "hoarded" money, giving rise to the term Jew implying saving lots of money and spending little?
Well, the whole point of an insult is for it to be shocking. It has to break some norm.

Obviously, if you call somebody dumb, they won't take too much too it. It's a fairly weak word in terms of profanity, and it's commonly used.

But, why exactly would you call somebody dumb? to give them a really really weak insult? The whole point of insults is that they are supposed to be insulting. Thus, when nobody reacts to it, it's lost it's purpose.

In fact, the more strongly people react to a word as an insult, such as "Jew", the more reason there is to use it (for a person who wishes to insult somebody).
So, what you're saying is that, eventually, words like "dumb" will be replaced by "Jew", in terms of insulting power?
Honestly, I blame South Park a bit for the now so common use of the word Jew. My friends love using it, actually, and their target happens to be, well, me, heh. Not Jewish, though I've got enough of the blood in me to look the part, curly hair, long nose, and the fact that I'm pretty tight with my money doesn't help things either, heh. But really, I've never heard the word in a truly negative way. I mean, it's like when you and your friends are ragging on each other, you say all kinds of stupid crap.

"You're gay, lol."

"NO U!"

In a nutshell. Or rather, how it actually happens...

"Hey, Grant."

"What?"

"Stop being so Jewish."

"That's nice. Hey Josh? Kill yourself."

"Maybe I will!"

... and so on. Guys just rag on each other, it's how things work. Yet I get the feeling that what you're speaking of might not be the same thing I'm grown oh-so-familiar with. I've never actually heard the word Jew used as a 'true' insult, as something to make someone feel like utter shit, so I really can't help there. But if there's anything I've learned in these past few years, it's that a little too much sensitivity can blow things way out of proportion. When I was in high school, I was extremely paranoid, thought everyone was out to get me/hated me/etc. But looking back, I see that it was mostly me being a jackass about things, me looking for enemies were there were none, just people who either liked more or, more likely, just didn't give a shit about my existence. Which is fine.

What I'm saying is, make sure you're not making a big deal out of nothing. If someone threw that word at you, maybe they were just, well, being a guy, ragging on you like friends are supposed to. If it was someone you're not fond of, well, realize that maybe he's not such a bad guy and say that you're not cool with the use of the word. My deepest regret in high school was making, in my mind, a bully out of a good kid, and in the end, it was me being the complete and utter dick to this poor guy.

Like I said, think these things through.

Quote (legoroy2)

So, what you're saying is that, eventually, words like "dumb" will be replaced by "Jew", in terms of insulting power?

No, I don't think it follows such a direct linear path. But, it's impossible to say.

However, I do find it likely that terrorist will be used like that in the future.
Humanz are evil...thats why I talk bad about humanity when I feel like admitting I am human >_>

Its the nature of the human peoples to not gets alongz.
Y'see, now I think Common is a jerk for buggering up the english language. But then, that might not be his fault.

I'm just thinking that way. We're all saints and assholes in different respects.

Quote (Sharmandra)

Well for using Jew as an insult, its more the stereotype. It's like calling feminine people gay, even though many homosexuals are not overly flamboyant. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I'll admit I've used the term once or twice (really not that much compared to alot of people), and thats it does not make fun of the culture, similar the attributes associated with it. On a similar note, was there a historical time period where Jewish people "hoarded" money, giving rise to the term Jew implying saving lots of money and spending little?

Well, first of all, that wasn't very SMART. XD Posting something that you hadn't researched in a thread of someone who's angry against stereotype.

Actually, the Church (Catholic) just put Jews in jobs such as tax collectors, etc, so that people would blame them for their money problems. It didn't help that people viewed them as alien, with the government and media blowing it way out of proportions.
Ever seen Borat?
Somewhat similar to that, sadly.

Quote (Hiko)

Actually, the Church (Catholic) just put Jews in jobs such as tax collectors, etc, so that people would blame them for their money problems.

I doubt the Catholic church did that specifically intending to make people blame Jews for their money problems. If I'm not mistaken, the more likely reason would be that work as a tax collector was a pretty low job. Any group of low standing would be likely to fall in there.

I may be wrong on that, but I'd be very surprised if it was intentional to raise animosity against the religion.
It was.
-has proof-
-can't put proofs on computer-
D:
Erm, actually... Jews were known to work with money because there is a pass in the new testament that you must trade with equal value; basically, this means that jews could do kind of a pseudo banking (money changing and lending with interest, etc...), while christians were prohibited to do that. That is exactly why they were tolerated, as noone would do these things for free, but belivers would have had to... So the church could blame the jews for money problems ("THEY DO NOT FOLLOW THE BOOK"), but it wasn't like they forced them to become tax collectors ("Hey, although you are just one step away from being called heathen, since you guys kind of killed the sonof our Lord and all, we want to give you a job that involves handling the money of the whole town. You in?"). Well that is what I was told anyway.
I want to know who said that. TELL ME.