Do they have tennis courts here?

Tennisman's heatshot nicks the Unknown Data and is intensified by the grass beneath the blob. The Unknown Data retaliates by firing a gooey cannon ball towards Tennisman and knocking him to the ground. Tennisman was still able to change the area around him back to grass, including the area under the Unknown Data. He retrieves his racket from the hardened ground and launches a ZapRing1. The Unknown Data liquifies and collapses to the floor as the zapring passes overhead. In it's puddle form, it wasn't able to quickly dodge the energy bomb that landed quickly afterwards. The blob rises again from the ground and drives one of it's white tendrils into the ground.

Unknown Data: 490HP

Terrain: 100% Grass

Tennisman.EXE: 70HP
"What's it doing?" Desmond asked.

Tennisman wasn't in the mood to find out and simply replied, "Heatshot."

Maybe it was trying to alter the terrain on its own or try some kind of underground attack. For all he knew, it had sprung a leak and was beginning to bleeding to death; as if he should be so lucky. There was no way to find out until it had finished and even then, that wasn't something he was looking forward to. Tennisman snapped up his arm and fired off another fiery blast, trying to take advantage of the blob's anchored state.

"Netplay and Ace Serve should be ready again."

Tennisman could confirm that his programs had reset themselves and he was eager to feel that healing effect of his net. He knelt and hammered his fist into the ground, summoning the net in response. Just as quickly he got back up to his feet and sprayed a handful of tennis balls into the air.

"Ace it!" Desmond said.

Tennisman had no time to reply as his arm acted on its own, targetting and smashing each ball perfectly towards the target in a series of yellow streaks.

Desmond shouted, "WIND-"

"No." Tennisman interrupted.

"Ra... No?" Desmond said.

Tennisman was still wary of his opponent's actions and really didn't want to be caught off guard by some kind of trap it was laying out. He stayed light on his feet, carefully watching the grass around him as well as the white mass itself. He would launch his next attack soon and so would this strange entity.

1 - Heatshot (40 damage + spread 1) x 2
2 - Netplay (1-hit shield + 60 heal)
3 - Ace Serve (4 x 20 damage)
4 - dodge
Tennisman fires a HeatShot at the Unknown Data, sending a fire-imbued round at high speed. The projectile buries deep into the Unknown Data's body before exploding into a growing mass of heat and flame. However, the blast seems to have been contained inside the blob's body. The bright orange ball of flame then quickly travels down the Unknown Data's arm and into the ground! Tennisman continues his strategy and sets up a net to block any oncoming attacks. He prepares to launch 4 tennis balls in the Unknown Data's direction, but feels a strange heat coming up from the ground. He looks down to see the panel below him explode into a small pillar of flame. It looks like the match is over for our hero, but he emerges from the flame; his undershirt custom program keeping him from being deleted.

Tennisman remained determined, or I guess the pain just didn't register through the adrenaline rush yet, and served 4 tennis balls at the Unknown Data and punches 4 tennis ball-sized holes in the blob's body. The Unknown Data withdraws its arm from the ground and retaliates with an energy blast from its core. The blast hits the net, healing Tennisman.

Unknown Data: 360HP

Terrain: 99% Grass 1% Normal (Tennisman on Normal Panel)

Tennisman.EXE: 61HP
"Not... Fast enough." Tennisman said, barely hanging onto consciousness.

Desmond cried out, "FRIG! Can you still move!?"

Tennisman bobbed his head once in a weak nod.

"God, what the hell was that!?" Desmond asked.

"Redirected... Heatshot." Tennisman replied in short breaths, "It..."

"Oh my god..." Desmond replied in disbelief.

Tennisman swallowed hard, "...Returned my attack."

"...I don't get it." Desmond said.

It was then that Tennisman did something rare and unexpected: He smiled.

"It returned my attack." He said again, his voice slightly more stable.

"So what?" Desmond asked, "How can we stop that?"

Tennisman didn't reply but he considered the situation. Practically nothing he had encountered previously had ever returned an attack intact. If he had met this thing under different circumstances, perhaps he could have trained it to play tennis. However, that was not the case and instead they were out to destroy one another. It was terrible how things turned out sometimes.

"Heatshot." Tennisman said.

"Again!?" Desmond asked, "What if it does that... THING again?"

Tennisman answered, "Then I will rally it."

Desmond didn't have anything to say to that. Tennisman received the chip data and understood that his operator trusted him completely.

"That's the third Heatshot," Desmond said solemnly, "There's only one left."

Tennisman recounted his battle so far and realized his remaining arsenal consisted of only a few low level gun chips. Beyond that was his other Windracket. No, he didn't want to use that yet. He wanted to force the thing onto the grass again before firing his last Heatshot, but his guns wouldn't have enough kick to move it and he had already used up all of his bombs. He needed something intimidating or powerful.

Ringlog.

It wasn't his favourite chip but he hoped it would get the job done. As he raised his arm again to unload another Heatshot at his opponent, he called for it. Just as he fired, the heavy chunk of wood formed in front of his feet, ready to roll. He prepped himself to return his own heatshot if it came back again and gave the log a swift kick.

I will definitely return it this time.

1 - Heatshot (40 damage + spread 1) x 2
2 - Junk Ball (1-hit barrier + 10 drain)
3 - Ringlog 1 (50 damage)
4 - dodge
Tennisman continues his assault, hitting the Unknown Data with a HeatShot and pulling up a junkball barrier. The Unknown Data counterattacks with a gooey cannonball that Tennisman deflects back to the blob, dealing a small amount of damage and regenerating an equal amount of energy. Tennisman then kicks a large rolling log that careens into the Unknown Data. The blob counters by tightening its entire body as large needle-like projections bristle all over its body. Its gelatinous body swells up then contracts, spraying needles in a 360 degree spread. Tennisman manages to dodge most of the needles, suffering minimal damage in the process.

Unknown Data: 220HP

Terrain: 96% Grass 4% Normal (Tennisman and U.D. on Normal Panel(s))

Tennisman.EXE: 60HP
Again, Tennisman found himself unable to dodge the full spray of needles but somehow managed to avoid the brunt of the attack. A few stray shots nicked his face and arms and left light scratch marks on his suit.

"Only 220 health left! Finish it!" Desmond yelled.

Finish it? Even I don't have that much health when I'm full.

"Guns." Tennisman said.

He didn't need to be specific because there weren't a lot of options left. He could sense the end coming and he just wanted to get it over with. He locked his arm into a semi-permanent firing mode and pointed it at the blob while advancing on it. Chip data flowed in and was fired off without even being identified first. The unique echo of a second burst let Tennisman know it was a Shotgun. More chip data entered his arm and was fired post-haste. Two echoes signalled a V-Gun. The plain sounding explosion meant a Cannon chip.

*click click*

The gun went empty but he could have sworn he felt a chip coming after he had fired that last shot. He stopped running and noticed a breeze started to pick up.

A breeze?

Tennisman looked at his racket. The face was covered in a tightly contained gale and tore away some of the loose grass from nearby panels.

"Finish itttt...." Desmond slurred.

Tennisman couldn't help but think that Desmond wasn't taking this very seriously anymore but at least his tactics were sound. He charged up the final bits of data and broke into a run. Despite the wind in his face, he could still feel the air currents being drawn around his racket like strands of cotton candy, building in size and deliciousness.

The abrupt stop of the gusts behind him meant one thing: It was ready. He was still running at the blob, his racket trailing behind him. As he made his final approach, he jumped into the air and raised the racket up above his head, arcing it like he would a serve.

Desmond shouted, "WINDRACKET!"

"SMASH!" Tennisman yelled, swinging it downwards at his opponent.

There were no sands to whip up this time or grass to disturb. Nothing but a wall of pure razor winds crashed into the ground around the entity. Long, smooth gashes were carved into the floor by the invisible force while a wave of air gushed outwards. The powerful burst had kept Tennisman airborne for a while longer, clear of the damaging effects as they rippled out from the impact. He landed a moment later, totally spent.

"Did you get him?" Desmond asked.

Tennisman wasn't sure and waited for the dust to die down. He glanced at his racket and felt uneasy. Though it was now completely devoid of dirt it, looked worn and damaged. How many more battles would it last? He looked at his own body, nearly as damaged as his racket.

How many more battles would he?

1 - Shotgun (50 damage + spread 1)
2 - V-Gun (50 damage + spread 2)
3 - Cannon (40 damage)
4 - Windracket (100 damage + knockback)
Tennisman fires a shotgun, hitting the Unknown Data and causing it to explode like it was made of water. The Unknown Data collapses in a puddle on the ground as the V-Gun round whizzes overhead. A small projection of the virus rises up about two inches, and fires a white disk towards Tennisman. The disk originally seemed very runny, flinging globs of white data everywhere, but seemed to harden to a razor edge on its flight. It slashes by Tennisman before returning to the Unknown Data and being absorbed.

Tennisman aims towards the puddle on the ground and fires, spraying bits of the blob everywhere and blowing it backwards with a Wind Racket. The Unknown Data again re-forms, but starts to tremble violently. Its body almost looks like its bubbling, boiling as it starts to gain size dramatically. It continues to grow till it is almost 10 feet tall and about a dozen feet wide, its body looking like it could burst at any moment. Just on cue, the outer layer of the unknown data tears open and blasts a massive wave of white gelatinous goo towards Tennisman. As the torrent of data flows towards him, it starts to rise up like a crashing wave. The wave starts to crest, but begins to change. Instead of curling down into a tube like a normal wave, the top of the wave starts to pool as if filling an invisible rectangular container suspended several feet above the ground. The wave essentially has formed a massive wall in front of it! The wave breaks, bludgeoning Tennisman with its gigantic wall and launches him almost 50 feet away. He hits the ground and slides to a stop, his Undershirt program again saving his hide from deletion.

The wave dies down into a large pool of white data. The pool then shrinks as the Unknown Data slowly rises from its center, its glowing green core flickering. It's still functional, but only one good hit should do it in! The Unknown Data forms a long appendage as it slides towards Tennisman. It stops about 5 feet away and prepares its long "arm," tipped with a massive spike hovering several feet above Tennisman's chest.

Unknown Data: 30HP

Terrain: 96% Grass 4% Normal (U.D. on Normal Panel(s))

Tennisman.EXE: 1HP Danger! Health Critical!
*click*

His gun was still empty and so was he. There was practically nothing left in him; no tactics, no energy and no way out. A white spire poised itself above his head, threatening to end his life. He could probably escape by rolling away if he put his all into it but how much more would he have to do to kill this thing?

I want to win.

He wasn't even sure if his last attacks had any effect and just what exactly was he fighting? He never really thought about it since it began. It was always kill or be killed. Considering these strange attack patterns and its alien looking appearance, it had to be something new. It wasn't a virus but he couldn't sure. Tennisman tried to remember something he had forgotten. It was important. Something to do with this data. Something to do with Yumland.

What am I doing here?

He came to Yumland on a whim. He saw some people and deleted some viruses. He saved someone. He promised something.

He could hear a faint voice calling to him, "...irty he..."

He promised something. What did he say? He would find the source of the viruses? No. What did he say? He had to remember but there was no time left. The spike dropped down.

"30 HEALTH!! FIRE!!" someone called out.

I will do my best to delete the viruses in this area.

"JADIA." Tennisman shouted.

A surge of strength welled up from inside him, driving his body up from its prone position in an instant and away from the creature in front of him. He rolled back and instinctively aimed his arm at the unknown data. His arm was still locked in the shape of a cannon.

*BANG*

And it wasn't empty.

1 - dodge (roll) + untapped potential (10 damage)
2 - Cannon (40 damage)
3 - dodge
4 - dodge
The Unknown Data thrusts it's spike-tipped arm downwards, striking the ground and punching a hole through the panel. And laying on top of the skewered panel is... nothing! Tennisman rolls out of the way as the spike fell, and has his cannon trained on the Unknown Data. The glowing orb shifts in it body, like an eye staring towards Tennisman. Tennisman fires a energized cannon round at the Unknown Data. The projectile dives into the blobs body and punctures its core. The glowing orb shines brightly before exploding in a large shockwave and dispersing the white data around it. Resting in the place where the orb once was is a glowing light. The light floats towards our hero, and sinks into his body. Its over. Its finally over.

VICTORY!

Unknown Data: DELETED

Terrain: 96% Grass 4% Normal

Tennisman.EXE: 1HP Danger! Health Critical!
Reward: SupportProg

((Tennisman is heavily damaged! Logging out is highly recommended. Enjoy your SP!))
"What's that?" Desmond asked.

Tennisman looked at the floating ball of light. He squinted his eyes and tried not to stare directly at it even as it approached him. He was too weak to dodge but didn't expect the sphere would enter his chest.

"TENNISMAN!" Desmond yelled.

He clenched his teeth and winced but there was no pain. He hardly felt anything at all. His pain was still there so it didn't heal him, but he didn't feel worse either. He relaxed and checked his chest.

"What happened?" Desmond asked, "Are you okay?"

"I believe I am." Tennisman replied, taking a seat on a patch of grass.

He took in a deep breath. His body ached everywhere and he couldn't take another hit from anything.

"You got lucky." Desmond said, "So uhh... What was that about Jadia?"

Tennisman didn't reply.

"Eh?" Desmond teased, "I didn't catch that."

"I was nearly deleted," Tennisman said, "My memory is fading."

"Oh okay," Desmond said, his voice raised in pitch, "So that was just nothing then."

Tennisman could almost see his operator's cheeky smile mocking him.

"Please jack me out." Tennisman said.

"Alright." Desmond chuckled.

A familiar spotlight hit him and he was whisked away from the Yumland plains instantly.

((Logging out and also thank you Reaper. Please don't close thread. I'm just going to rejoin/repost/brb to save thread space.))
Tennisman appeared in the same area he had been when he first arrived. It was just as busy as before but Jadia was nowhere to be seen. Maybe she had already jacked-out or perhaps she was in danger again. Tennisman erased the thought from his mind and explored the marketplace.

"Find anything?" Desmond asked.

Tennisman shook his head. His search had spiralled outwards until he found himself on the outskirts of the populated areas. There was a definite decrease in viral activity which validated his efforts, but he was still skeptical about solving the problem. The only way to go now was the previously unexplored plains where he had encountered that strange white entity. He stepped into the area again, taking a different path, hoping he wouldn't find another one of those things.

((Battle 1))
Virus Attack!

Doesn't seem to be anything too scary.

BoomerA: 60
BoomerB: 60
Needler: 70

Tennisman: 190

Battle 1 Fight
Tennisman managed to make more progress this time before his first run-in with Yumland viruses. Only a pair of Boomers and a Needler barred his way.

"Yo," Desmond called, "I looked at the data you took in and it looks like Navi data but... Not."

"Heatshot." Tennisman said in reply.

Desmond complied and continued, "Right. Anyways, it stayed in the PET when I jacked you in so you should be totally okay now."

Tennisman did feel normal and with his operator's verification he could rest a little easier, but now he was worried what would happen when he jacked out. The sudden scuttling of the Needler marked it as a target. Tennisman fired in response and wondered what to do with the other two. For now, he decided to prepare a Reflex Volley to cover himself.

"Whatever this data is, it looks really compatible with your current... Everything." Desmond added.

"What is your opinion?" Tennisman asked, ending with a quick, "Boomer."

"Here," Desmond said, "And uhh... I dunno."

Tennisman charged the chip into his racket as usual and swung it with a slight curve, imagining a perfectly executed slice. Instead, a spinning green crescent shot out of the face and cut across the pair of viruses.

"But I think it has a lot of potential to be useful," Desmond finished, "Nice slice by the way."

Tennisman nodded and tried to stay light on his feet.

Useful?...

1 - Heatshot Needler (40 damage + spread 1) x 2
2 - Reflex Volley (1-hit barrier + 20 damage)
3 - Boomer1 BoomerA, BoomerB (60 damage)
4 - dodge
((I spot a ufo in the horizon. Also, bump.))
Tennisman burns the Needler to cinders with the help of the grass terrain, then executes a deadly backhanded slice at the Boomers, felling them in an instant.
Rewards instantly pop out of the sky.

BoomerA: DELETED
BoomerB: DELETED
Needler: DELETED

Terrain: 99% Grass, 1% Normal

-VICTORY-
Get: 360z
Tennisman went to collect his reward when he noticed something strange. Among the zenny were a few clumps of purple data.

"Bugfrags." Tennisman said.

"What?" Desmond asked.

"They are bits of inert viral data that were not entirely deleted in battle." Tennisman explained, "If left alone, they could regenerate into new viruses."

"...Doesn't ring a bell." Desmond said.

"We should collect these and determine a safe disposal method for them." said Tennisman as he recalled the data along with the zenny.

He was about to proceed further when he heard an unfamiliar beeping sound.

"Huh?" Desmond blurted out, "That weird data from before is... HEY! THe bugfrags are gone!"

"What?" Tennisman said in shock.

"The- The data thing," Desmond stuttered, "Or whatever it is just... ATE the bugfrags!"

Tennisman wasn't sure what to say. He was fairly certain that the data wasn't malicious but now he wasn't so sure. But perhaps this could be used for good. At least the bugfrags had been dealt with but to what end?

"Hey," Desmond called, "I think this might actually be useful. I think I can make this into something more useful than a trash can. Shouldn't take too long."

Tennisman sat down and waited. Desmond's estimates were rarely accurate. A little over two hours later, Desmond's voice sounded again.

"Yo, I think I'm done." He said, "I'll test it out against the next viruses."

Tennisman nodded and was about to walk again when his he thought about his operator's words.

What does he mean 'against'?

((Battle 2))
As it turns out, Tennisman probably won't have to wait long to find out what his Operator meant. A quartet of ninjas and their nin dogs spring up from the grassy savannah; they look almost... hungry...

GeninA: 60
GeninB: 60
GeninC: 60
GeninD: 60
SpikyA: 90
SpikyB: 90

-IMUNNAEETCHU!-
-COMMENCING BATTLE NO.2!-
"Ok great!" Desmond exclaimed, "I'm gonna send him now!"

"Him?" Tennisman repeated.

He waited for something to happen but the only thing that changed was the proximity of the viruses as they drew closer.

"Uhh... Something's wrong." Desmond said.

"Boomer." Tennisman said, backing away slowly.

"You have to activate it yourself!" Desmond added.

"Activate what?" Tennisman asked.

He loaded the chip into his racket but the viruses were too close for him to concentrate on any real strategy. He made a wide swing at the group of ninja viruses, hoping to catch more than one in the spinning green wave that shot out.

"DEUCE!" Desmond yelled, "SAY IT!"

Trusting in his operator's words, Tennisman raised his arm and called out, "DEUCE!"

A brilliant pillar of light shot down from the sky in front of him. The bright flash reminded him of a jack-in, but he couldn't have summoned a navi, could he? The blur from his eyes faded quickly giving him his first glimpse of Deuce.

It could only be described as a flying saucer. It hovered in place with a subtle humming sound. On top of the circular metallic body laid a perfectly centered dome. It clearly revealed a glowing green core, reminiscent of the strange data he had collected in his previous excursion in Yumland Net. Tennisman then noticed a gun mounted in front, pointed at the viruses general direction.

"Deuce?..." Tennisman questioned softly.

It roared, "WARGH!" and spun around, pointing its cannon directly at Tennisman's face.

Tennisman reacted by raising his own arm cannon at the newly compiled program. For a brief second they were locked in a tense stand-off, completely ignorant of the viruses that were still present. Tennisman spotted a Genin behind Deuce and raised his arm a little more.

"Shotgun!" He said, and fired.

Thanks to his operator's quick reaction, the chip loaded in time with the shell barely missing Deuce's frame. The program spun around again and fired off its own round at the virus.

Was that a tennis ball?

Tennisman realized that he might not be able to trust this 'Deuce' but he definitely couldn't turn his back to these viruses. He hoped against hope that it wouldn't stab him in the back for what he was about to do.

"Stay back!" Tennisman said.

He pushed Deuce aside and stepped in front of it, wielding his racket defensively. He activated his signature Reflex Volley and readied himself while trying to stay wary of Deuce's presence behind him.

"You douche!" It barked.

1 - Boomer1 GeninA, GeninB, GeninC (60 damage)
2 - SUMMON DEUCE
3 - Shotgun GeninD (50 damage + spread 1)
4 - Reflex Volley (1-hit barrier + 20 damage)

DEUCE - 10 damage GeninD
TennisMan was up against a group of Ninjas and two Ninja-dogs. He quickly chucked a Boomerang at them, hoping to do something. He was able to hit two of his targets, one on the boomerang's way out, and the other on its way back.

Soon after that, he summoned his UFO, which turned and faced him. He then shot his shotgun at the enemy, and managed to hit his target again, though it didn't spread enough to hit anything else. This angered the little Genin, who then chucked three kunais in TennisMan's direction. Luckily, as they were thrown quite quickly, one missed horribly.

After that Deuce attacked the Genin who had thrown the kunais, hitting and killing the ninja.

TennisMan then stepped in front of Deuce, and managed to smash one a fireball back at one of the Ninja-Spikies, though his shot was only a chip, so he missed, Instead burning up all the grass off a panel instead. However, neither he nor Deuce got hit by it, so it was a success.

BATTLE SUMMARY:
GeninA: -Boomer'd-
GeninB: 60
GeninC: -Rang'd-
GeninD: -Combo'd-
SpikyA: 90
SpikyB: 90

Tennisman: 170

Deuce: 60

Terrain: 98% Grass, 2% Normal
Deuce's comment didn't register until after Tennisman had deflected the attack but it resulted in two revelations: One, Deuce could speak, and two, he was a jerk. This was of no real importance right now but he was surprised Desmond could program a personality so quickly.

"That was MY kill!" Deuce spat.

Tennisman wasn't sure what to say in reply and simply tried to focus on the battle. The faster he finished, the sooner he could have a real talk with Deuce.

"And those are MY frags!" He continued.

At first he thought Deuce was using a colloquialism for a kill, but when he saw more pieces of purple junk data he realized what Deuce was really after. The downed Genins had left some bugfrags behind and he could barely hold Deuce away from them.

"Stop!" Tennisman commanded, "It is too dangerous to go now!"

"Screw you! Those frags are MINE!" Deuce said and lifted off into the air, hovering above Tennisman's reach and floating off to the bugfrags ahead. The Spikeys locked their sights on him and Tennisman knew he had to act now.

"Ringlog!" Tennisman called out.

The log took its time to form and gave him reason to use his Ace Serve instead. He directed two balls to each Spikey trying to bring their attention back towards him. By the time the last ball had been served, the log was fully formed and was promptly kicked at the pair of canines.

"Deuce!" Tennisman called.

He didn't reply but opened a tiny hatch underneath his frame, revealing a little spotlight that shone on the bugfrags. The bits of data floated up and into the source of the light before being absorbed into Deuce's body. He pulsed with an eerie green light as each of the fragments were devoured.

"Om nom nom nom nom..." Deuce mumbled.

Tennisman admitted he was a little disturbed at the sight but there was still one Genin to deal with.

"Minibomb." Tennisman said.

"You're going to try to hit a ninja with a bomb?" Desmond asked.

Tennisman was about to change his mind when he noticed Deuce had apparently turned his attention to the last ninja virus. Instead of the wide spotlight, a narrow green beam shot out from below Deuce towards the Genin.

"I MUNNA EET CHU." Deuce said with a sadistic tone.

"Hahahaha!" Desmond laughed, "I can't believe the tractor beam actually worked!"

Tennisman couldn't believe what he was seeing either but now he had his chance.

"Minibomb!" He repeated.

The blue bomb formed in his hand, allowing him to easily serve it at the virus. There was an explosion below Deuce but a cloud of smoke veiled the Genin's fate. He could still see the green beam piercing into the black shroud.

Tennisman looked around and called out for one last chip, "Heatshot."

He cocked the gun on his arm and watched for sudden movements.

1 - Ace Serve SpikeyA, SpikeyB (2 x 20 damage)
2 - RingLog SpikeyA, SpikeyB (50 damage)
3 - Minibomb GeninB (60 damage)
4 - Heatshot SpikeyA (40 damage + spread 1) x 2?

Deuce - Gust ability (lift GeninB)