"Ready for Netbattling?"

The Navi appeared on the Net in his usual dazzling array of silver light and translucent, horizontal beams. It occurred to Teethman for the first time how much of that effect might now be a result of Hal's increased income rather than his expertise in raw design. "I'm into the network present, Hal. Whatever proceed I initiate?"

"What do you think you do, Teeth?" Hal responded, detachedly glancing away from the screen and speaking in a strange sarcastic tone.

Teethman didn't respond, instead simply turning ahead and facing in front of him. He'd find some viruses, take them out, and remind Hal of all the great things the two of them could do together as a team.
(YESYESYES!
WIN! ULTIMATE WIN! TEETHMAN RETURNS!)

A welcoming committee for an old favorite!

CactyA: 70 HP
CactyB: 70 HP
CactyC: 70 HP

Teethman: 120 HP
Teethman looked at the new viruses with distaste. "Hal, it's those folks repeated." The Navi brightened up, glancing back at his operator through the screen. "Say, Hal! Proceed you recall the premier moment we met these pests? I utilized my technique to devour foes..."

"That doesn't have any bearing to what we're doing now," Hal snapped, drumming his fingers on the machine and now staring intensely at the PET screen. "We don't have that technique any more, and there's no point dwelling on our blunders in the past when we have a whole new batch of viruses right in front of us."

The Navi caught that his operator had held his tongue at that point. This could be taken as a sign that Hal wasn't as deep in the hole as he'd originally looked, but Teethman had definitely gotten the message. He had to work his hardest to calm Hal back down. "...Hal, I desire you to realize... I'm proceeding toward remain into the network concerning so lengthy so you require! Whenever length you demand, I'll remain present in the network. Proceed never inquire concerning me."

Hal didn't respond, and Teethman couldn't tell whether or not he'd gotten through to his operator. Nevertheless, Hal slotted in a Heatshot chip absentmindedly and continued to stare into space. Teethman stared back at his operator for a few seconds before Hal glared down at him. Not giving his operator the time to comment, Teethman turned back to face the viruses and readied the Heatshot weapon. Teethman was thankful he had been sent the chip: the heat resonating from his backpack and moving in a surge through the wire and into the gun weapon that had formed from his arm teeth reminded him that at least some of his friend's wits were about him in his sad state. The Navi shifted the tooth-guard frame on his shoulders. At least he himself was still on the top of his game. Teeth aimed the weapon at one of the cactus enemies, detaching a block in preparation for a follow-up attack with his right arm. He wouldn't need any fancy tactics to take down enemies like this: Teeth simply let the steaming shot blaze from his left while the disembodied tooth links lined up with the three on his right. Despite all of their failures, repeated practice had at least made this weapon more natural. Wielding all six lasers that were now zipping from his blocked arms, he directed the weapon in a swing toward the farthest enemy. Allowing all six arm blocks to now detach and float automatically in the air, Teethman dashed off on his taut legs and in preparation to dodge one of the Cacty's incoming needly projectiles.

The Navi was almost thrown off of his pace, however, as he glanced back at the saddening face of his operator. At the same time, though, he renewed his determination. Beating a few viruses wasn't going to snap Hal out of this daze: Teethman would have to give his all.

Summary:
Heatshot to Cacty A + B [40x2 (FIRE bonus)]
Sparkling Whites to Cacty C [70]
Dodge
The teeth win the day for some reason...

Reward: 400 zenny
"Every correct! View, Hal?" Teethman celebrated their victory, failing to catch his operator's reluctance. To Teethman, getting a successful battle in at all was a refresher itself. He looked back, half-expecting Hal to have already snapped back out of his miserable state of mind.

Hal wasn't looking at the screen. He held his head pressed against his crossed arms, putting some thought into the situation he had come to face. He knew it wouldn't do any good to talk to Teethman yet: he had to concentrate carefully or he'd just end up snapping out again. Though he didn't harbor any particular angst toward Teeth, his general hatred towards everything that reminded him of his old life or what his new life was caused him to lash out, and Teethman, a relic from his past bearing a frame from his future, would channel that anger. He had to think carefully about his situation.

Teethman, seeing his operator lost in thought, reconsidered his attitude and regained his serious composure. He hadn't had any assurance this would be easy, and he couldn't let up now.

(Battle 2.)
WELCOMING COMMITTEE RETURNS. WITH FRIENDS.

OldstoveA: 50 HP
OldstoveB: 50 HP
Lark: 100 HP

Teethman: 120 HP
Five new viruses appeared before the Navi. Again, Teethman recognized the floating fish, another species he'd sunk his teeth into years ago. At this point, however, the Navi wasn't going to try to drive his operator to recall the enemies and the memories connected to them. He could tell that Hal was mulling over his own thoughts inside his head, and Teeth felt the simplest solution would be to let him work at it. Nonetheless, the operator seemed to be enough on the ball to slot in two chips for his Navi's use.

Teethman's blocky left arm split down the middle to allow needle-like prongs to extend, and the electricity that began to course as the needles rhythmically cycled through the arm foretold what it would release. At the same time, the farthest block of his right arm split into four individual, evenly sized cubes. Those parts shifted in form until only one was the same size: the rest were elongated and separated in three parts, sharpened at the ends. The familiarity of the weapons had no particular weapon to Teethman, as he leveled his left with an almost automated motion with the fish enemy. He tried to keep it steady and pivoted the arm as necessary as he began a dash for one of the Cacty enemies.

Hal wasn't giving Teethman instructions, which was technically his part of the operator-Navi pair. The Navi recalled, however, how often his operator would have to snap him from his dreamy distractions in the past. So many times Teethman had completely lost himself in the battlefield, only to be snapped back into reality by Hal. In this situation, however, Teeth had impressed upon his mind that the top priority would be allowing Hal to sort our his thoughts in his own head. The most important thing he could do as Hal's Navi would be to understand him, and to discuss when he was ready to discuss, no matter what he had to discuss when that time came and how hard it was.

Hal remained in deep concentration as he sat with his head against the flashing neon game machine, his face screwed shamelessly as he tried to pinpoint the cause of his discontent. This was much more than just what had happened to him today: the real cause became more obvious to him every time he stared at the screen. Now that he looked again at his Navi, doing what he could to uproot the plant-like virus from the ground and swiping his claw, not even conscious of whether or not it had gnarled the enemy, into another, Hal could clearly see what had changed... and what had not.

What Hal perceived to be the truth felt now like a hand gripping something in his chest, but he was able to raise his eyes again with some clarity in his eyes to his PET screen.

Teethman noticed the movement in his operator and glanced backward as he attempted to get out of range of the viruses he'd dashed into. He could tell that progress was being made.

Zapring to Lark [40x2(ELEC), stun]
Rageclaw Cacty A into Lark [20, 20]
Dodge
Lark stunned, Cactus whacked, Virus attack.

CactyA: 50 HP
Lark: DELETED

Teethman: 105 HP
Teethman absorbed the blows in stride. He couldn't say it hadn't had any sting to it, but the attacks being thrown at him seemed to have no bearing on the current situation. He hadn't even realized where the attacks came from. His job at the moment was to remain in the net for as long as Hal needed and to eventually get his operator to say what needed to be said. Teethman had mentally fortified himself for whatever Hal had to say, and thus wasn't putting his concentration into blocking for his body.

Despite his Navi's anticipating looks, however, Hal wasn't ready to speak what was on his mind just yet. He'd seen the blow his Navi had taken and was trying mentally to size it up with the blow to the ribs he'd taken earlier that had knocked him unconscious. He still felt winded from that hit... Was Teethman naturally more resilient through his strength? Would that kind of attack carry in weight in the net? Did Navis even feel real pain at all, or was it all fabricated by the original programmers? As Hal considered these questions, the distance between himself and his Navi inside the PET seemed to grow thicker, the chasm much wider than any PET screen could justify. He'd never felt so entirely detached from the concept of his Navi, and, in a state of confusion rather than anger, found himself fumbling inanely for the chips he would slot in. He slotted them in without even seeing what he was sending, staring blankly at his PET screen and seeing only the jet-equipped back of his Navi, who was waiting so patiently for him first to speak.

Teethman recieved the shotgun weapon with familiarity on his right arm, one block shifting to become a pump action at the bottom while the end hollowed out to form a barrel. As he leveled this weapon with one group of viruses, his arm sailing through the air, he felt a small jolt as his shoulders lifted into the air. He realized that the golden boomerang weapon had appeared in his chest teeth. With the very smallest amount of concentration necessary, he kept the gun above the boomerang's level and then proceeded to kick flip into the air, attempting to dodge the incoming enemies' fire and release the boomerang vertically crashing into the Cacty area all at once. He heard the shotgun go off, and could only hope it had hit.

He wasn't long in the air, and the metallic clang of his boots hitting the Net floor had no effect on him. The only sound he could hear now was the choking noise that seemed to be coming from his operator. He didn't turn around to investigate: Teethman knew simply that the real reason he was here was about to announce himself and that his real challenge was close ahead.

Shotgun to OldStoveA and OldStoveB [50 + splash]
Boomerang to CactyB and CactyA [60 to group WOOD, +10 NP boost to one hit]
Dodge
Death

CactyA: DELETED
CactyB: DELETED
OldstoveA: DELETED
OldstoveB: DELETED
Lark: DELETED

-Victory!-
Get: Wideshot1, 200z
Hal took the new Wideshot chip, containing the data from the viruses he'd just defeated, and held it loosely between his fingers. In the old days, he would have been hopping up and down, spouting off some nonsense out Larks as viruses and his general approval or disapproval of them. Now, however, he felt like he could have dropped them onto the floor and trampled them to the ground without a second thought. The idea occurred to him, as did the thought of simply scalping the chip to some down-on-his-luck battler nearby, but he didn't really have any reason or even the energy to do either. He couldn't bear to keep his face above the machine, afraid of being seen for what he was even by one of the faceless, mangy bums that inhabited the dirty building.

"It can't be," Hal shuddered to himself. "I went up through life without ever feeling like this... but there's nothing different about me! I haven't taken anything... I haven't done anything... I didn't do anything!" Hal cried defensively, as though someone had accused him. "Nothing about me has changed... so why can't I...? Why is everything different?! Here I am, trying to jack a slot machine to get money back that I got stolen from me. And it's not even money I need! It's to protect my image, so that nobody sees me like this... What did I even come out here for?" Hal muttered resting his head on his arms. "What have I been doing for the past..." he began, but he'd lost track of time. He couldn't tell how long things had been like this.

Teethman was about to interject, but there wasn't time for it now. He couldn't afford to have Hal worrying about him at a time like this, so he readied himself for the viruses he was sure would be about any minute.

(Battle 3)

EMOHAL BAD.

CactyC: 70 HP
OldstoveC: 50 HP
OldstoveD: 50 HP

"Viruses," Hal muttered through his clenched teeth, clutching his forehead with one hand while digging through his chip folder with another. "I've got to get myself together... it's no good, I can't do it at all!" Hal shouted, slamming his head back on the machine. "I don't have any right to operate like this! My life shouldn't be that way!" Hal took out a chip, staring at the distinguishing graphic without any indication of what it did. There was no way he could tell what he was doing, and he continued to stare at the chip in his hand lifelessly. This had meant so much to him in the past... or was that someone else...?

"Hal..." Teethman jarred him back into reality. "You possess toward proceed it."

At that exact moment, the feelings of self-pity and wandering loss that had engulfed Hal spat him out and into a torrent of anger of the same magnitude. Something inside him snapped and he swung his PET to his face in rage, shouting at the screen. "Idiot!! Like you could understand it, sitting there and doing no battling at all for 6 years! As if there's any way something like you could understand the pain of having the air knocked from his lungs, or had any way of understanding what I've been through! Years of my life wasted, and for nothing! Nothing at all!" Hal screamed at his Navi and spoke through tears, unable to hold back his emotions despite the eyes focused on him. "Everything that came from those studies, that learning, that fake smile and the expensive suit, all of that was built up from the relic of my grandfather... all of that was a different person! In reality, there's no way he and I can be the same person! At the same time, there's no way I can be the old Hal, a prodigy netbattler and fanatic of all aspects of Navis! I can't be anyone... it's like I'm nobody now..."

"That's sufficient," Teeth shouted sharply, seeing only his operator in spite of the nearing viruses. "You possess owned a luxurious living, surely, and due toward this you hardly grew various abilities of integrity. It's sympathetic that you presently possess these emotions, due many about your living you possessed no actual direction. However, enduring this span, you possess grown. You possess existed made toward follow coupling objectives over septuple birthdays. You appear toward feel, however, that alongside abandoning single while following additional you made double men and misplaced your singularity." The Navi's voice increased in volume as he tried to connect with his operator across the screen that divided them. "However, that exists basically never accepted! During you commenced Webfighting alongside me repeated, you ventured toward utilize me the manner I was. Yes, I can never possess varied... however either possess you! Requiring these couple men are whom you desire toward exist, it's never coupled entities! Each of these is a component of you, Hal Belfast, and these are never the sole singles." Teethman could tell that he'd gotten through to his operator as Hal raised his head, looking at the screen with his eyes that seemed to have momentarily regained their child-like sparkle. "You're a round unit, also you shall proceed to grow. So leave us never retreat present. You possess own a deal greater toward accomplish, also solely you may accomplish it."

"You're right, Teeth..." Hal agreed, nodding at his operator. Though his Navi had said it in his broken speech, Hal had understood everyword. "From now on, if I wear a confident grin it won't be because I'm putting it on! If I wear my good suit and make my company successful, it won't be Belfast Inc. that's doing it. Hal Belfast is making his own image and being his own man! And, if I want to Netbattle, I'm not going to let my business life take it away from me! I'll find ways, and I won't give up so easily." Hal wiped his face to clean it, grinning back at his operator. "Yeah, all right! From this moment on, I'm just going to be Hal Belfast. Nothing changed about me at all, except for getting way stronger, faster, smarter, and sexier, and it's the way I've developed myself, nobody else!" Hal pumped his fist in the air and smiled down at his operator, and Teethman could see the rekindled promise from his youthful days reflected in his eyes.

"Concluding, enduring present onward," Teethman spoke through his garble as usual with warmness, "You possess never mistrust yourself, every left? Anything you touch or postulate is a component belonging you."

"Right", Hal responded, giving his Navi a thumbs up. "No more second-guessing what I feel."

Both the Navi and the Operator had forgotten in the course of their dialogue, that the viruses were still nearby and clearly becoming aggressive.

"Ah, right!" said Hal, glancing back at the chip he now held in his hand. It was his Wideshot... he'd just won it, and he hadn't given it the proper appreciation it deserved. "I've been wanting one of these for a long time, Teeth!" Hal noted with a grin. "This aqua-based chip allows us to hit a number of enemies with a wide blast. Of course," he added confidently, "I've prepared the graphic slot it works to in advance, ensuring that we'll look completely awesome when we use it."

"Huhuhar!" Teethman laughed, happy to see this side of his operator again. "I fantasize such!" As Hal slotted in the chips with renewed vigor, his Navi gladly received them. To begin, his right arm transformed into a tubular shotgun that was familiar to him. "Hal," he said with mock severity, "Are you certain you are completely well repeated? What concerning the WhiteSlot?"

"Oh, it's coming," Hal responded, slotting in the chip with his full concentration. "Let's use both at once, all right? That's the coolest way to do it."

Teethman nodded, accepting the additional data. He began to get a wet feeling in his mouth... as it progressed, he realized that it was leaking from his chest. A ball of water had began swirling inside his chest cavity. He was wise to release it, separating his midsection to allow the ball room to spread. It formed a thin cutter of spit, which flew horizontally toward the group of Oldstoves that had confronted him. He also aimed the shotgun into the group and released a hard blast into the crowd. "Extremely great, Hal! I foresee the novel snack performs as a tarot."

"Glad to hear it," Hal responded, returning the chip to its position in his folder carefully. "Well, we owe it to your skill too."

Teethman accepted the compliment and focused on the viruses again. In reality, being able to worry about himself and not just Hal once again was a blessing, because his reflexes and endurance had suffered. Now, he was more aware of the viruses' hostile intentions and brought up his shield to defend himself, his arms transforming in their usual way to protect him.

-Shotgun to OldStoveA, OldstoveB [50+SPLASH]
-Wideshot to OldStoveC, OldStoveD, CactyC [60 AQUA (x2 against FIRE) +10 NP boost on one hit]
-Shield
((Bump.))
Epiphany! Resolution! Determination! Such is that of a man! Or- a miserable pile of secrets, but WHATEVER. Things Proceed to die.

CactyC: DELETED
OldstoveC: 50 HP
OldstoveD: DELETED

"All right, excellent!" Hal cheered his Navi on. "That last strike went off without a hitch. These regular viruses are a cinch... and to think, just moments earlier, I was freaking out. I really have to thank you again, Teeth. I'm lucky I made such a good Navi early on."

"Proceed never raise it!" Teethman responded, a bit thrown off by his operator's direct compliment. Seeing Hal in such a sunny mood, the Navi found it hard to believe that only moments earlier he'd been in the most miserable state of his life. "Acceptable, toward maintain it upward I'm heading toward require greater snacks."

"You've got it. Now, let's see... that last attack was cool, but what can we do to put the icing on the cake?" Hal thought, his mind racing with all of the possible combinations of the nine remaining chips in his folder. "I need to think of what we haven't tried yet... aha! This should be perfect, and I don't think we've tried an attack like this before. Teeth," he said challengingly to his Navi, a smile creeping across his face, "this should be pretty intense. You up for it?"

"Naturally!" Teethman replied with a mixture of mock-offense and surprise.

"Here it comes, then," Hal said, initiating the attack by slotting in a Vulcan 2 and a Rageclaw. "I call this one the 'Cackling Hyena.' Give it a shot!"

Teethman couldn't help but wonder if his operator really was still in a bad frame of mind, but nonetheless accepted the chip data and pointed one of his arms toward the remaining viruses, poising himself for attack. His shoulder armor joined in for the attack. Now aimed toward the Cacty Teethman was facing, the armor flipped up to allow a vulcan gun to extend out. "Eh? I proceed never recall..."

"C'mon, Teeth!" Hal shouted. "You've got to motor for them!"

With a gulp, Teethman accepted the order of his new, bold operator. The blocks of his left arm detached from elbow joint, propelling themselves and flattening to evenly spaced-out distances on the end of the arm. The end result was three long, flat nails on the end of his regular blocky right appendage. He began running toward the viruses, attempting to dodge any oncoming attacks and keep the now-rotating vulcan focused on his target. The gun clicked, signaling the end of its ammo before the Navi reached his target. Nonetheless, the claw on his arm began spinning in preparation.

"Now, Teeth!" Hal ordered his friend with vigor. "Dash in, finish!"

Teethman did as he was told, making a skid and then sprint toward the Cacty. Figuring he had run the virus through with his claw, he kept on the move. His jetpack had kicked in and was now propelling him, but against the heavy force of acceleration left him unable to grasp his surroundings. All he could see clearly was the second virus he was now nearing in his path. "Devour this!" the Navi called, sending a jolt through his arm and releasing pressure onto the palm of his hand, intending to blast its contents toward the remaining target. "Leave this end it!"

Dodge-Sprint
Vulcan2 to CactyA [5x10, splash]
Rageclaw CactyA to OldStoveC [40, 40+10 NP Boost=50]
((Err... I'm thinking your Rageclaw does 30, since throwing is a 20 DMG thing))

AMBUSH! EVISCERATE! VANISH!

OldstoveC: 20 HP

"Ah never..." Teethman muttered, holding his breath in anticipation as he realized one OldStove had survived. Would all the motivation Hal had gotten built up from his plan to sweep the viruses die be crushed? Would he fall back into his state of thinking they weren't capable of beating simple viruses? "Erm, Hal... proceed never cogitate as simply due we wouldn't-"

"One last virus thinks he's going to stand up to the two of us when all of his team has been deleted?" Hal interrupted. "I take that as a challenge! Let's show this cocky Easy-Bake Oven who he's messing with!"

"C-concerning route..." Teethman agreed, nodding and preparing to recieve the battle data.

"We do need to put this guy in his place, but at the same time we don't to take unnecessary risks. This assault will finish him off. Use your remote system to keep him on the run while edging closer with this sword. If he's forced to dodge too, that should give you ample room to avoid his fire streams while you close distance. Strafe to avoid his attacks, but don't stop moving forward. Piece of cake, right? When you get there with the sword, you know what to do."

"Basically," Teethman replied. He hadn't used his remote system yet, and thus it floated into the air with a whir upon detaching from his arms and reassembling in the air behind the back. Knowing the lasers would be on his enemy by the time he was halfway there, the Navi began moving in, a sharp cyber-sword suddenly jutting out at the end of one of his tube-like appendages, now void of their original blocks. As he continued toward his target the, the blue glow of the sword was joined by the dancing light of the laser array above. He and his laser struck at one moment, as Teethman dashed in with his blade and the concentrated laser formed from the meeting of all six took shape. On the other side, Teethman looked back to see if the enemy had survived, still bathed in the blue tint that stood out so strongly against the orange metallic surface of his armor.

Sparkling Whites to OldStoveC [70]
Dodge / Move closer
Sword to OldStoveC [80+10 NC Boost]
(Bump.)
(Sorreh. Moddage.
Edit: Keep your zenny out of Drakim's tabs, kthx.)

SPARKLING WHITE DEATH!

OldstoveC: DELETED

-Victory!-
Prizes: Cactball1, 400z