Soundman and Runeknight

Soundman appeared high in the air and glanced around in a blind state of panic for a moment- then curled up into a little ball, spinning forward as he fell towards the ground, catching glances of the surrounding battle from in-between the protection of his arms.

He managed to land on his feet when he did hit the ground finally, but the force of the impact was such that he left two three-inch-deep, boot-shaped imprints in the ground where he had struck; what, exactly, had just happened?

"I don't know." Trenn's voice rang in his ear-- apparently he had mused that last bit out loud, "But whatever happened, at least you're alright."
A beam of cobalt energy crackled wildly as it soared through the air and crashed to the earth of Electown Net with a tremendous explosion of sound and color. Jet black runes swirled within the pillar of intense light, dancing back and forth in an intricate pattern. The symbols seemed to merge, meshing together to form a vaguely humanoid silhouette within the cobalt light. The figure chopped his hand in a horizontal motion and the pillar seemed to shatter, the light fading as it ballooned outward. Runeknight stood in Electown Net, clad in his usual jet black armor, dark blue cape swirling behind him. The knight looked normal, looked whole, and the strange corruption that had overtaken him days before seemed completely purged.

"Thank God..." Zan whispered.

The NetOp had not wanted to jack the Navi in so soon after finally removing him Yoka net after the battle with the strange mermaid viruses. He wasn't sure if Runeknight was ready for battle, if the knight was truly cured of his affliction. Zan desperately needed more time, but life did not wait until you were ready. He had received the priority alert, the plea for help from the Electown NetPolice. He was available to help, though it was a risk, and couldn't deny their plight. He and Runeknight had to do what they could to aid in the battle.

"Runeknight," Zan called. "How are you?"

"I seem fine, Sire." The Navi called, his normal voice sounded strong. "I sense no trace of the virus that you believe to have overcome my systems in Yoka. The only problem I see is that my memory of the last hour in Yoka is still quite fuzzy."

"Good, good. No worries then."

"I doubt this to be related, but it seemed that these is a veil over this area. It is not quite a barrier, but it will hamper those attempting to enter the fray."

"We seemed to have gotten in alright, though we are a little skewed from your actual destination. It looks like the veil disrupts the transmission slightly, but looks like it does little else. No other issues?"

"None at all, Sire. Aside from this little predicament."

"Yes, well, that's why we are here. Hm?" Zan paused. "It seemed a second Navi has landed close by."

"Should we attempt a temporary alliance? If the battle is truly as fierce as the report claims, we would do best to find those willing to lend aid."

"True, but be cautious. The Mafia sent out their own broadcast and we can not be sure where this Navi's allegiance lies."

"As you say, Sire."

Runeknight's spear appeared within his grasp in a flash of cobalt light. He scanned the horizon in the general direction of where the Navi had appeared. He thought he saw a shadow stir and headed toward it.
Soundman looked over towards the little... miniature light show Runeknight had generated, and squinted his eyes as he saw the figure running towards him. He tried to make out who it was but- aside from a small twinge of familiarity, he couldn't place it.

He waved his arm silently, trying not to draw more attention than would be necessary to himself while trying to beckon him over quicker. As the navi drew near, he called out; "Hey there. My name's Soundman... please tell me you're on the Netpolice side and I didn't just beckon an enemy navi over here." He winced as that idea crossed his mind-- he foolishly hadn't considered that possibility before. He let his right arm give a slight twitch as it built up static inside, and kept his vision locked on the other navi, trying to gauge his motives.
"Worry not, friend Soundman." Runeknight's voice was friendly despite the chaos going around them. "I am Runeknight, an officer of the NetPolice."

Runeknight saluted the other Navi, his left fist smacking soundly against his armored chest. The Navi was staring hard at him, perhaps not quite trusting him. Runeknight could understand the emotions as he wasn't quite sure of Soundman's intentions. However, if the Navi were genuine, the two would be better off against whatever awaited them.

"I take it you heard the signal and have arrived to lend aid? Well met, Soundman. Well met indeed."
Soundman nodded, letting the static that had built up fizzle out harmlessly, and spoke. "Well then it's nice to meet you too, Runeknight. Let's go see where we can help out then, shall we? Considering our surroundings..." Soundman waved his arms out to either side of him, gesturing towards the battle that was raging in every direction, "...We've probably got a large option of places to go."

Trenn's face popped up next to Soundman and spoke as well, tone slightly hushed. "Yeah, you two should get a move on. The sooner we start pushing them back, the better the chances the Netpolice have of winning this..." Trenn let out a chuckle despite himself, "little skirmish."

Trenn's face disappeared a moment after, and Soundman jerked his head to the left. "Right, let's go then." He took off at a brisk pace, wondering what exactly they'd come upon first, even as he spared a quick glance behind him to make sure that Runeknight was following.
Runeknight followed his newfound companion, his eyes scanning the chaos that surrounded them. He held his spear in both hands, point aimed low, but near enough to parallel. He wondered what he would find, what their odds were of escaping such devastation unharmed. He marveled at the extent of damage that had already been sustained to the surrounding area. This was truly a battle of epic proportions, but he feared that it would not be as simple as "good vs evil". He shook his head and plodded on, ready for whatever happened.

((I assume we are ready for a battle or something...))
Runeknight and Soundman have little distance to travel before they are in the thick of the action. Or rather, the action finds them. The grounds shakes as a massive wave of ice-based attacks tear through the ground, sending a detachment of NetPolice Navi's flying. Those that weren't deleted outright land somewhat near our heroes, but far enough away that they haven't noticed them yet. They have other things on their mind at the moment, right?

"Now we've got dees coppers down cold!" The lead Mafia Navi cackles, sending his henchmen after them. "The boss wants anyone in our way put on ice, right?" he orders loudly. Noticing the other Navis, he turns and yells, "Wait, are you boys reinforcements, or what? Come for a show?"

The NetPolice Navis, noticing the turn of attention from them, cry out, "Help us, please! Our medic was just deleted, and I don't think we can last much longer!"

Time to decide: Help the injured, or slaughter the helpless?

NETWAR BATTLE ONE

NetPoliceNaviA: 100
NetPoliceNaviB: 150
NetPoliceNaviC: 75

NetMafiaGoonA: 200
NetMafiaGoonB: 200
NetMafiaGoonC: 150
NetMafiaGoonD: 190

NetMafiaLeader: 300

Runeknight.EXE: 200
SoundMan.EXE: 140

Terrain: 20% Ice, centered on NetPolice Navis, 15% cracked, surrounding Ice Terrain, 65% Normal.

LIGHT OR WILY DARK???
BATTLE ON!
"Bah," Runeknight muttered as he risked a quick glance at the circle of ice that surrounded the NetPolice officers.

It was obvious that the quintet of Mafioso were equipped with some serious firepower and, at least some of it, was of the cooler variety. Runeknight did not relish the thought of battling his way through a blizzard, his mystic flames struggling to keep alit amongst the ice and snow. Perhaps they had used all of their Aqua attacks?

"And perhaps I am a jester..." The Navi muttered. He turned to SoundMan. "Protecting the injured must be our top priority. Please, do what you can to lend aid. I shall strike at these foes and draw their fire."

The knight was unsure of what abilities his newfound companion possessed, having never seen the other Navi in combat. He would have to devote some of his time to giving Soundman whatever help he would require. The knight raised his left hand into the air, a rune like the head and mane of a charging stallion appearing in a flash of cobalt flames.

"Arion, spirit of the wilds, I summon thee."

The floating rune flared brighter, a surge of energy responding to Runeknight's words, and the knight could feel his friend's response. A ghostly whinny feeled the air and the thunder of hoofbeats sounded from afar. The thunder began to grow louder, the very ground shaking in response to each downbeat. Runeknight shouted the horse's name once more and a circular disk opened vertically, hanging a foot or so off the ground. The disk seemed to be crafted of cobalt flames, the light and shadows mixing to form an intricate design that swirled continuously. A light shined from beyond the disk, a light that quickly formed into the ghostly image of a massive stallion. Arion charged toward the disk, moving at a tremendous speed as he threatened to ram right into the floating flames. The horse and the disk of fire touched...The disk exploded outward...And Arion remained. The stallion was whole now, no longer the ghostly image that had heeded Runeknight's call, and was clad in the jet black runic armor that served as the bond between this world and the spirit realm.

"My friend," Runeknight whispered to the horse. "We have need of your assistance once more. My fellow officer have been injured and I fear for their safety. Guard them well, noble one. Guard them so that I may extract vengance upon those that have harmed them."

Arion whinnied in response, understanding his master's command. The horse no longer feared Runeknight, no longer sensed the darkness that had lurked within the knight. That darkness had taken over, had driven the honorable warrior to flee his lord and thirst for blood, but that evil entity was gone now. It had fled back to wence it came and Arion sense that his master was whole once more. The horse cantered toward the trio of NetPolice officers and turned to face the NetMafia, eyes a glow with defiance.

"Sire," Runeknight called to Zan. "It is time to smite mine enemies."

"And I know just the weapon," Zan answered as he slotted in a handful of BattleChips.

Runeknight felt a surge of energy warm him, a familiar wave of power that began in his chest and spread out of envelope his body. The knight twitched the fingers of his left hand, summoning the power that lay within him. He raised his arm above his head, elbow cocked at an angle, as though he were reaching for something strapped to his back. He gripped at the air, a pillar of cobalt flame igniting within his grasp and extending down toward the ground. The flames swirled around, outlining what looked to be a massive sword. Runeknight tugged on the inferno, drawing forth a magnificent blade from its sheath of cobalt fire. The sword was epic in proportion, a blade seven feet in length and half a foot in width. It was crafted from some sort of dark stone and lined with runic engravings that pulsed with an inner light.

The knight shifted his stance, right foot sliding out in front of his left, and raised the blade to his shoulder while grasping the leather bound hilt with both gauntleted fists. Runeknight glared at his foes from beneath his visor, judging them with his calculating gaze. The Navi smiled...And vanished. A gout of flames had consumed the armored Navi within an instant, leaving nothing where he had once stood. A second gout errupted behind the main group of Mafia goons and Runeknight was once more apart of the world. The knight swung the massive sword in an overhead chop, aiming to cleave one of the goons from neck to hip. The vicious arc of the blade obscurred the knight's vision, blocking his view of his target for the split second of impact. One could never be assured of success until the body dropped to the floor.

Runeknight danced away from his target, a quick backward shuffle that brought three of the mafia Navi into his field of vision. A deafening shriek filled the air as Zan activated another BattleChip and the massive sword was suddenly wreathed in flames. Twin wings of fire rose from the fire to beat briefly, once...twice...thrice, before wrapping around the sword and rejoining the crimson inferno. Runeknight hefted the giant's sword and swung it in a horizonal chop, threatening to split the Mafia goons in half. A second chop quickly followed the first, the deadly arc leaving a crimson afterimage that burned for seconds after the blade passed.

Summary:
Rune of Vigor is active.
1. Summon Arion
2. AreaGrab(Teleport behind NetMafiaGoonC/Dodge/Accuracy+)
3. BigHammer1(160, Break) to NetMafiaGoonC
4. PhoenixShot1(80, Fire) to NetMafiaGoonA, B and D
5. PhoenixShot1(80, Fire) to NetMafiaGoonA, B and C

Arion: Protect NetPolice.
Soundman perked up at Runeknight's request. Healing the injured? He had a sig that could do... "Right, I can do that." He span on his heel and strolled determinedly towards the injured Netpolice officers, almost missing Runeknight summoning Arion- he would've, actually, had the stallion not cantered right past him before positioning itself between the Netpolice and the Netmafia.

Soundman shook his head and chuckled, a light, mirthful thing which served an alternate purpose aside from the obvious-- soft music, the sound of a piano and a harp, began to push back the cries of battle from all around. The music continued as Soundman held his position for the moment, growing louder but never becoming anywhere near deafening or hard to speak over, even. Only when the song seemed to have reached its full volume did an acoustic guitar break in, causing Soundman's speakers to scatter musical notes each time the strings were plucked; as the air around the Netpolice officers filled to saturation with the notes, the music abruptly stopped.

The notes began to glow, dim at first but eventually reaching a brightness akin to the moon, and then... they rushed at the most heavily injured Netpolice officer; four at a time, if one had been able to count, but the speed at which the notes poured into the officer made it less than easy to tell.

When the notes had all disappeared, the Netpolice officer seemed to be a bit less worse for wear, but Soundman wasn't stopping there. He reached his right hand up to the sound board on his left arm, and adjusted the switches on it accordingly.

The song that played this time was quite different from the prior, one electric guitar playing out a complex rhythm-- before being joined by a second playing a slightly different, underlying rhythm, followed by a bass guitar and drums which rounded out the beat and low end of the song.

As the song continued, sheet music pumped out of the subwoofer strapped to Soundman's back and wrapped around one of the Netpolice officers in a dense bubble, providing an odd sense of security. When the song ended, so did the sheet music pumping out of Soundman's subwoofer; two things, however, remained.

The first, and the most obvious, was the bubble of sheet music that still offered its protection to the Netpolice officer it had enrapt. The second, and the less obvious of the two, was the single bass chord, barely audible, that played out of Soundman's subwoofer. The very same chord that held together the bubble of sheet music.

Soundman approached the Netpolice officers, and spoke in a strong voice. "Sound can be used for many things. To heal..." He gestured at the Netpolice officer he had healed, "...to protect..." again he gestured with a wave of his arm, this time indicating the Netpolice officer that was still protected by a hollowed sphere of sheet music, "...and even to destroy." This time Soundman span on his heel and thrust his arm out at the Netmafia commander-- his right arm gave a slight twitch, and the speaker in his palm began to emit a high-pitched whine.

This too had more than the audible effect, however. It released a wave of sound at the Netmafia commander, not quite invisible, oddly enough, but still quite potent if it hit. As it rent the air in its path, Soundman cried out. "Trenn!"

"I'm on it!" Trenn called back, tapping one- two- three chip icons in rapid succession. "Go!"

The palm-speaker on Soundman's extended arm let off a soft hiss, and a short, green barrel burst outward from where the speaker was usually positioned. Soundman closed his left eye, using his right to line up the shot at the Netmafia commander-

-and then fired, releasing a burst of energy from his arm.

1: Healing Serenade @ Netpolice C (Heal 60)
2: Restez @ Netpolice A (Barrier: 80)
3: Whine @ Netmafia Commander (80 Damage)
4: Cannon @ Netmafia Commander (40 Damage)

---SIGNATURE COOLDOWNS---

Whine: 2 TCD
Restez: Not Cooling Down
Healing Serenade: 2 TCD
The brief moment of calm was once again shattered by the flurry of movement and bright flashes of war.

As Arion appears and canters off toward the ring of ice and Runeknight suddenly vanishes, Soundman's musical arrangement uplifts the spirits and stats of the injured NetPolice.

"Thank you." The lead Police Navi calls. "Now back while we deal with these lawbreaking scum! Men? RETURN FIRE!!!" he raises a HiCannon, and his flanking officers pull out regular Cannons.

The NetMafia Commander doesn't waste time organizing his troops, in the meantime. "Alright, boys, show 'em what happens to those who mess wit' the Mafia!" As his cronies heft Vulcans and open fire, three cascading waves of energy fly towards them: the cannon shots of the police.

The shots land! The Vulcan shots rip through the police. Soundman's Barrier protects one Navi, while Arion manages to block a shot on another with his body. The mafia has no such protection, however, and take the shots full on.

As the commander backs away from his men, he juts his hands downwards, launching a wave of ice towards Soundman: the only new benefactor he could see...

Because Runeknight had reappeared in the thick of his minions, and swung his mighty hammer! The poor Navi he hit shoot no chance. As he cartwheeled through the air, bits of data spilled outwards, until the Navi was no more.

Runekight, however, was not done. He fired a volley of flames outwards, searing a nearby mafia agent. But, as he fired the second volley of flames, something strange happened, something that caused him to misfire, launching the second Phoenixshot skyward.

Soundman, firing a wave of rippling sound at the Mafia commander, had somehow caused a resonance inside of Runeknight's helmet, which was what has startled him, as well as dealing him some minor damage. (20) Perhaps it was strange state the net was in, but it was enough to cause Runeknight to miss.

Runeknight had a loud ringing sound in his ears, but he still heard Soundman fire a Cannon at the commander, hitting him, so he wasn't deaf, at least.

The NetMafia commander fired another Icewave, but the shot went high, hitting the stray Phoenixshot, which made for a rather pretty lightshow.

NetPoliceNaviA: 100 (Barrier: 30HP)
NetPoliceNaviB: 100
NetPoliceNaviC: 105

NetMafiaGoonA: 30
NetMafiaGoonB: 70
NetMafiaGoonC: DELETED
NetMafiaGoonD: 80

NetMafiaLeader: 180

Runeknight.EXE: 180
Arion.SPT: 20
SoundMan.EXE: 80

Terrain: 20% Ice, centered on NetPolice Navis, 15% cracked, surrounding Ice Terrain, 65% Normal.
Runeknight staggered slightly, his head throbbing within his helmet and his eyes blurred from the sudden onslaught of pain. The massive sword slipped from suddenly numb fingers and crashed to the floor. The obsidian blade shattered like glass and dissolved into the Net. What had happened? What had caused the ringing in his skull that had destroyed his concentration at the most crucial of moments? He cast a steely gaze across the trio of Mafioso that had survived his charge because of the ill-timed sonic vibrations. Had they done something to cause him to miss? No, they had been too engrossed in attempting to finish off the injured officers to focus on him. He ruled out their leader as well. That left...

Soundman... The thought came unbidden, but it made sense all the same. In the back of his mind, he remembered the Navi using harmonics to aid the NetPolice. The irritating noise must have originated from him. Surely it was an accident. I doubt he has much control over such a weapon as sound is a fickle magic. He must have been preparing to attack when I used the Rune of Conveyance and I ended up between him and his target.

Do you really believe that?

The voice came from within him, but he had no time for listening to questions posed by strange voices. Arion had taken a hit in the crossfire and Runeknight doubted that he had injured the Mafioso enough for them to forgo their assault. He had to act if he wanted to protect the brave stallion and his injured brethren. The only thing to do was to dispose of the Mafia goons as quickly as possible to avoid further casualties. He nodded, as if confirming his own beliefs, and shouted:

"SIRE!"

"I hear ya," Zan responded. "Let's give these Mafia bastards a taste of the hell that awaits them on the other side."

Zan slotted in a trio of BattleChips, two offensives and one to aid Arion after the flames died down. He slipped his finger over the trigger and pressed down, sending a surge of energy across the divide that separated his world from the Net. Runeknight felt a sudden jolt run through him, a rush of emotions followed by a familiar surge of power. There was no way that he was letting the Mafia win this one. He was going to protect Arion, protect his fellow NetPolice. He would even protect Soundman up to a point, but if the Navi was found to be a traitor, then Runeknight would deal with him most...Soundly.

Flames erupted along the blackened armor shell that protected Alistair Ward from the world. The flames, sapphire and cobalt dancers, caressed the darkness that cloaked the Navi and cast distorted shadows across the chaos of the battlefield. The Navi known as Runeknight raised his left arm, the flames leaping from his body to spiral around the armored appendage. Runeknight glared at the trio of injured Mafioso, his eyes ablaze behind the cobalt visor that hid his face.

For Maya and all the rest... His thoughts intoned, but all he said was:

"Begone!"

Runeknight spun in a pirouette, twirling with a dancer's grace that seemed impossible given the jet black armor that encased his frame. As he turned, Runeknight lowered his left arm until it was parallel to the ground, the flames encircling the swirling Navi in a hellish tornado. The inferno leaped from the knight's arm, snaking out in a whip that sought to engulf the trio of goons. They would not survive a second assault. Runeknight would make sure of that.

Runeknight broke his spin, thrusting his right arm out toward the leader of this group of Mafioso. Cobalt flames sparked to life in the palm of his hand and swirled to quickly form a fiery sphere. Azure lightning crackled and leaped across the sphere as the inferno twirled faster. The knight gazed at the head goon, judging him with all his experience. He would need more, but not much. Luckily, his Lord had already granted him the power he would need.

"Burn in hell," the dark knight muttered.

Four fiery lances shot out of the inferno, streaking through the air and covering the space between Runeknight and the Mafia leader within seconds. There was no time to dodge, but Runeknight had to remain vigilant. He willed the spears of flames to connect, to impale the Mafioso Boss and leave him broken upon the floor of Electown Net. As the fires left him, Runeknight allowed his right arm to drop and raised his left. Held within his grasp was a twinkling crystal that shone with a sapphire light. The crystal was cool to the touch, frost creeping up his arm as he held the orb aloft. He cocked back his arm, prepared to throw.

"Tell Mephistopheles that Alistair says hello." Runeknight murmured.

The knight hurled the crystal ball toward the Mafia leader, the orb falling short and shattering a few yards from its target. A wave of ice and snow rose up from the remnants of the shattered crystal, rising to the height of a Navi and tumbling forward like an avalanche. Unless the Mafia goon had the sense to flee, he would surely be swept up in the snow and smashed like a wave against the rocks.

"It'll be a cold day in hell before I allow that bastard to survive a second encounter with me."

"Runeknight?" Zan asked.

"Nothing, Sire." Runeknight assured Zan. "Though we must lend aid."

The knight moved quickly, transversing the space between himself and Arion in a few moments. The stallion whinnied a greeting and lowered its nose to nuzzle Runeknight's armor. Runeknight noticed a small scorch mark that marred the horse's armor from when the Mafia had attacked. Runeknight smiled at the horse and whispered his thanks. He produced a small vial of a light blue fluid and quickly removed the stopper. The knight held the vial up for the horse to drink and Arion did so greedily. Runeknight knew that the draught would restore the stallion's vitality and waning strength.

Summary:
Rune of Vigor is active.

1. Flameline1(80, Fire) to Mafia GoonA, B and D
2. Rune Blast(100, Fire, Breaking) to Mafia Leader
3. IceWave1(80, Aqua) to Mafia Leader
4. Dodge
5. Recov30 to Arion

Arion: Defend NetPolice
((I've learned one thing.

Talking mechanics kills my inspiration.))

Soundman flinched visibly at the same moment that Runeknight staggered-- he recognized misfire when he saw it, at least. As he thought of what to use next, he realized as the knight before him attacked that- he pretty much had things handled.

So, with a sigh, Soundman focused his perceptions and readied himself to dodge any incoming attacks: His legs tightened and he lowered into a battle-ready half-crouch, arms slightly wide and head low, whilst his ears subtly became slightly more keen, ready to pick up on even the slightest sounds of something headed his way...

Actions 1-4: Prepped Dodges
Soundman dodges. Soundly.

Runeknight flyies into action, his new resolve helping his assault. Firey blast after firey blast resound around the cirlce of NetGoons. Even the NetPolice officers lower their weapons in awe. As the desperate Mafia grunts fan away into ash, the leering commander remains.

"I see you're quite the hothead." he smirks, "You'd better cool off, or you'll make a stupid mistake." he contines, jutting his hand downwards, sending another Icewave towards the Knightly Navi, which he barely dodges after sending out his own wave of lattice-work.

The Commander's eyes widen in shock as the cascade hits him, a victim to his own style. As he collapses to the ground, he still retains that smirk, frozen to his face...

VICTORY!

Rewards:
Soundman: 4FXP, 500Z, Icewave1
Runeknight: 4FXP, 1000Z, Icewave1
Arion: 8 Bugfrags

Soundman: 80HP
Runeknight: 200HP
Arion: 50HP

...Suddenly, The commander staggers to his feet, "HaHA! Undershirt, you dimwits!" he cackles, and suddenly vanishes, only to reappear close to the icy terrain the NetPolice are perched percariously on. "Thanks, for the idea, Mr. Serious!" he laughs as he hefts a large Hammer, and smashes it downwards...

On the cracked terrain!

The ground breaks away freely, and the island of ice shudders. The NetPolice fall down on the unstable terrain, unable to get away. Realizing what fate has dealt them, they shakily get up to their feet, and salute the pair of Navis remaining.

"Tell Captain Ohzo we went out fighting, alight?" The lead Navi says with a sad smile as the Ice gives way, tumbling downwards into the endless abyss, taking it's inhabitants with it, as Runeknight and Soundman can only look on in horror...

It seems in the chaos, the Mafia commander has escaped, leaving Runeknight and Soundman quite alone. What will you do?
Soundman blinked- once, twice, a third time, mind struggling to wrap its' way around what had just happened. Eventually, he managed to come to one conclusion. "Runeknight, we've got to go after him!" Soundman's voice pierced the silence that reigned if but for a moment, and he made to continue-- only to be cut off by Trenn.

"And how, exactly, do you expect to follow him when you have no idea which direction he's headed in?" Trenn spoke quietly, tone unaccusing, "Unless you see a glowing neon sign around here that's pointing which way he just darted off to... then we'll have to forget about him and focus our efforts elsewhere."

Soundman looked pensive for a moment, then turned to Runeknight with one fluid motion and voiced a question. "What do you think we should do?"
Runeknight fell to his knees, gazing into the bottomless pit that now served as the grave for three NetPolice Officers. Three men were now dead; men that shared his duty to the Network; that shared his commitment to righting wrongs and stilling the flow of darkness that had spread throughout the world. He had sworn to protect them, but he had failed and now their deaths were on his hands. He struck the ground with his mailed fist, small cracks spreading in a circle from the impact.

Failed again, have you?

Shut up. His thoughts were filled with hatred. Your admonishments help very little.

I am not here to help, but merely to watch as everything you hold dear is swept away and devoured as you fail time and again to protect them. Oh Alistair, you really are acquiring quite a lot of skeletons in your closet. Maya, Marauder, Thesis, Grant and even Tobalis...How many deaths has your weakness caused?

Tobalis was a madman. I am not responsible for his crimes.

So you say, but is it not true that your friends would still be alive if you had killed Tobalis when you had the chance?

Thesis jumped in the way...She loved him.

Excuses, excuses. How like you to place the blame on others.

Shut up!

But let's follow that route for a while. Perhaps you are not to blame for these three latest deaths. Surely you did all you could. You just didn't have the strength to make sure that Mafioso was dead. But what of your companion? The loudmouth who has already attacked you once, accident or no, surely he could have focused on snuffing out the Mafioso's feeble life. But no...He was too concerned with his own demise. Did you see how he dodged away? Like a cowardly lizard...Or perhaps like a snake who knows what is coming? The voice in his mind practically purred the insinuation. Perhaps he is not with you at all. Perhaps he merely pretended to aid the NetPolice while positioning himself to destroy you. You saw what he did. He attacked you, threw off your aim and allowed those Mafia stooges to survive long enough to murder your NetPolice brethren and almost take your steed with them.

"Runeknight, we've got to go after him!" Soundman's voice intruded on Runeknight's inner reverie. "What do you think we should do?"

No Runeknight told the sinister voice that lay inside him. It was a mistake...It has to be.

Keep telling yourself that. In the meantime, I'll be busy counting the mounting bodies.

"No," Runeknight said aloud as he pushed himself to his feet.

Despite the knight words, he would not help but glare at Soundman behind the veil of his cobalt visor. Had the Navi betrayed him? Was Soundman working with the Mafia to destroy Runeknight and the rest of the NetPolice. The knight's eyes flashed crimson for a brief second before he shook his head. He would have to trust in his companion until he gained the proof that was needed.

"There is no point in chasing after him." Runeknight answered. "We have no idea as to where he has gone and no hope to find him in the horror that surrounds us. We must merely move on. However, if we see him again...." He let the words die on his lips.

"Runeknight," Zan asked over their private line. "Are you alright?"

"Yes Sire. I am merely...Distressed, that I was not able to aid my fellow Officers."

"Don't worry. I've already placed the call. We should soon have their back-up data removed from storage and they'll be fine within a few hours."

"Thank you, Sire."

"Come Arion," Runeknight beckoned to his steed. "Soundman, I feel we must move on. Together, we shall search out anyone who may need our aid and, hopefully, we shall do a better job of rendering it."

The Navi turned to cast a last look at the pit where his comrades had fallen.

You died bravely, as warriors. I shall speak of your deeds to your Commander as soon as I can. Rest well.

As Runeknight turned and guided Arion away from the hole, a deep, sinister laughter echoed within his mind.

((Steve, FXP and Bugfrags?))
((Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were ready or not.))

Runeknight and Soundman continue onwards, when they come across yet another battle already in progress.

Two rather large detachments of Police and Mafia Navis are locked in a predominantly melee oriented combat. For the most part, the Navis are using Rageclaws and Swords, but flashes of other colors indicate rarer and more powerful chips scattered in their midst. The battle seems to be a stalemate, although, lack of orginazation in the NetMafia's ranks indicates that their commander has already fallen. Despite this, the Mafia seems to be beating the Police back again.

As our duo makes way to join the fray, they are suddenly hindered. It seems as if the damage to this net area have finnally begun to take their toll. A massive trench lays stretched as far as the eye can see in both directions. It seems too wide to even AreaGrab across safely. Perhaps long range is the best option? Maybe not; at this distance, it could be hard to avoid hitting the wrong target at such close quarters.

NETWAR BATTLE 2

Soundman: 80
Runeknight: 200
Arion: 50

NetPoliceOfficerA:143
NetMafiaGoonA:175
NetPoliceOfficerB: 265
NetMafiaGoonB: 256
NetPoliceOfficerC: 153
NetMafiaGoonC: 164
NetPoliceOfficerD: 174
NetMafiaGoonD: 173
NetPoliceCommander: 364
NetMafiaGoonE: 196
NetPoliceOfficerF: 168
NetMafiaGoonF: 257
NetPoliceOfficerG: 163
NetMafiaGoonG: 185

Terrain: 10% Normal, Where Runeknight and Soundman are standing, 40% Missing, between Runeknight/Soundman and the battle, 50% Normal where the battle is taking place.

Special: 60% chance an AreaGrab/similar will dump you into the pit, which, I'm sure you guys know, will keel you.
"A pit..." Soundman murmured, hand upon his chin. "I can think of a few ways across this offhandedly. Ummm... The first is one of us throwing the other over it-- I'll assume you have a Rageclaw, but it'd be you being thrown over since you're stronger than I am-- but that's risky. There's a chance that you could fall in if I don't throw hard enough or far enough. The only other idea that comes to mind..." Soundman jerked his head towards Runeknight's steed at this point, indicating the stallion, "...Is attempting to make a running leap over the pit with Arion."

Soundman sighed, then turned to look over the pit again. "We have to come up with something, though... we can't just sit here and watch."

"What about the Icewave chips you guys just got?" The sudden intrusion of Trenn's voice made Soundman stiffen for a moment; he had almost forgotten Trenn was there. After a brief pause, the netop continued, this time broadcasting to Runeknight and his operator as well. "The Icewave chips you two just got could be used to form a bridge over, couldn't they? Ice makes a strong platform, and you two could attach the waves to each other, end-on-end, or use them to make a single, strong ramp. That way even if you can't reach all the way across, you could still have an easier time trying to jump it using some other method, right?"

--TURN SPLICE! Strategy discussion! No actions used!--
"The IceWaves, huh?" Zan tossed the idea around in his mind. "Could work...And if not it's just a couple of BattleChips wasted. Runeknight and I have a multitude of ranged chips, but I wouldn't risk a shot from such a large distance. To be effective, we need to get closer or else waste time perfecting our aim. And from the look of things, I doubt those NetPolice have much time on their hands."

"Aye," Runeknight agreed. "Tis as you say. We shall use the IceWaves in an attempt to form a bridge. Milord Zanallen and I have two of said chips in our arsenal. I believe you only have the one? Three shall have to be enough, then."

Runeknight cast his gaze over the pit, marveling at the distance that separated him from his colleagues. It was a dangerous plan, one as likely to fail as to succeed. However, he saw no alternative. Still, that sinister voice continued to rage in the back of his mind. It told him that this was a trap, that Soundman was attempting to send him to his death as his comrades had fallen earlier. Runeknight cursed under his breath, suddenly unsure.

"Please," Runeknight called to Soundman as he waved his hand over the edge of the pit. "It was your NetOp's idea, so please feel free to try your hand. I shall watch your movements and apply my skill where it is needed."

((Plan agreed to. Start us off Twi))
"Alright." Soundman sucked in a breath as Trenn sent him the chip data, then let it out as a visible cloud of white. Ice formed over his hands, and he shook at the feeling for a moment. "C-cold..."

He stepped toward the edge of the pit, then pulled both of his hands back. "Here we go..." He shot both his hands forward, and a wave of ice mirrored their moment, starting just before the edge of the pit and then extending outward for as long a stretch as Soundman could make it... before it stopped, and held. Soundman stood perfectly still for a moment, as though moving would break the ice, and then nearly shouted when he heard a 'Crik' from the sheet in front of him. He searched the frozen liquid for a long, long moment, and then let out a sigh of relief when it appeared the only crack was an extremely small one towards the left side of the extension.

"Well, that's my Icewave." Soundman breathed, ice still encasing his hands. He stepped off a bit to the side, and then looked at Runeknight. "Your turn."

--TURN SPLICE!--
1: Use Icewave to form part of a bridge across the pit.
--TURN SPLICE!--
Runeknight bid Arion stay where he was and then strode forward, his eyes scanning the ice bridge for any signs of cracks or hollows. The work seemed well, though such things were beyond Runeknight's experience to truly critique. Still, it should hold him and his companions provided that nothing untoward happened as they crossed. There was always hope that they would succeed.

"Sire," Runeknight called out. "This bridge seems passable, though for how long I know not. I shall attempt to bolster it with mine own magic. If you would lend me your strength?"

"Yeah," Zan answered. "Sure thing. Just be careful, alright?"

"As you say, Sire."

Runeknight could feel the surge of power waft through him as soon as Zanallen slotted in the necessary BattleChips. The energy soared within him, begging to be used, and Runeknight focused his mind and channeled it toward his hands. Frost immediately began to form along his jet black gauntlets, lining the darkness with thin bands of white snow and glistening ice crystals. Runeknight's inclination was to form the sphere of ice that he usually made when he used the IceWave spell, but he held himself back. The explosion of ice and snow that resulted from the orbs destruction would not aid him in this manner. The knight gazed at the Navi to his left, his eyes lingering over the ice that still coated Soundman's hands. It was not a perfect evocation of the element, but it would have to do.

Runeknight allowed the frost to cover his armored hands, encasing them in a thin shell of ice that shimmered in the light of the battlefield and created a myriad of colors. A chill aura surrounded his hands as he strode toward the incomplete ice bridge. The ice seemed to be sturdy, with tendrils of ice reaching back from the edge where the ice met the ground. Channeling his energies, Runeknight bent down and strengthened the bond that merged earth with ice. A few seconds passed, his energy draining from him at a slow, but steady pace, before Runeknight halted the flow of power. He could not afford to waste his spells strengthening the bridge without contributing to its length.

Runeknight stepped out onto the ice, moving to about half its length. He was aware of the danger, but felt certain that a long leap could get him back to safety. He eyed the edge of the ice bridge as it stretched out over infinity, and smiled grimly. The knight summoned his strength, taking aim at the unfinished end of the bridge, and fired. A beam of silvery blue energy left his palms and extended toward the edge of the bridge, bluish ice forming where the beam struck the edge of the bridge. Runeknight held the beam as he raised his arms slightly, angling the icy blast so that it continued through the air and completed the path of the bridge. The surge of energy that he had felt was all but depleted, the ice powers being driven from him as he attempted to finish the bridge. All at once, the power left him and Runeknight stood, staring at their creation. The bridge was unfinished, but only barely so. They would have to leap a few feet to the other side, but it should be enough. He stepped off the bridge, back toward Soundman and Arion.

"You should go first," Runeknight told Soundman. "It should hold you, though you will have to jump the last few feet. I shall follow with Arion. If anything should happen, we will attempt to use our teleportation to finish the trek."

[TURN SPLICE!]

Summary:
Rune of Vigor is active!

1 & 2. IceWave1 to strengthen and attempt to complete ice bridge across pit.

[TURN SPLICE]