Rania Goes to the Carnival

Rania arrived at Yoka's Annual Rosewood Carnival, feeling slightly out of place in her modern jacket and shorts among the many festival-goers, dressed in bright kimonos and costumes. Man, it was silly of me not to remember that you're supposed to wear a nice kimono to this event. I remember now that Sensai always had one for me when I was little. How could I have forgotten? she pondered, holding one fist to her chin. Interestedly, she watched as she saw a group of students she recognized as juniors from her school wander by. "Eep! It'll be embarassing if any of them see that I forgot to wear a costume altogether! I'd better find a costume fast," she spoke under her breath, looking around for a stand that might sell costumes.

Unfortunately, try as Rania might, she was unable to find a good, affordable costume stand; any that sold outfits had sadly high prices for their glamorous and elaborate wares. "Drat, only one option left," she thought reluctantly, dashing for the bath house. "There, that's good," she sighed, sitting down on one of the benches in the woman's side dressing room. "Now I'll just soak for a while until the carnival dies down a bit. Or... Yeah, there's an idea! This place has jack in ports! I'll just jack in, get MeleeMan to my banking account, withdraw a bit of the money my Sensai put aside for me. Then I can buy a costume and enjoy the carnival," she continued on emphatically, forgetting that she wasn't talking to anyone but her self.

To her surprise, however, a familiar voice spoke up. "Hey, Rania? I didn't know you were here at the carnival!" a voice exclaimed from somewhere nearby. A girl with fierce looking dark eyes and brown hair combed into thick curls at the ends approached Rania, wearing a yellow bath towel that showed off her figure, which was slightly more developed than Rania's at the chest. Rania noticed this, and felt slightly distracted as she usually did when she felt inferior in that aspect. "Really though, you should have told me you were here. Come on, let's go to the bath together! I hear your new navi's really tough too, eh? Think she's stronger than GladiatorMan?" she asked, grinning and reaching to take the PET Rania had laid by her jacket on the seat as she'd started undressing.

"N-No way! You can't turn on the monitor here in the dressing room!" Rania stammered, taking the PET from her before she had a chance to activate it. "B-Besides, I'm ready now. I'll just carry this out with me. Honestly, I need to get my navi on the net anyways for some important business, Amelie," she told her friend, quickly changing into a towel and heading out to the bath.

"Sheesh, okay. You can lighten up a little sometimes, you know," she told Rania, elbowing her in the side a bit. "I'm not taking GladiatorMan out here though, you know. He probably wouldn't enjoy the scenery, if you catch my drift."

Rania froze up a bit as she started to consider her own position. I-Is it fine for me to turn on MeleeMan's monitor here while I'm in the spring? What if I can't get under the water in time? What if-? she continued to babble in her mind, holding her palms to her face as she began to feel herself heating up. "Uh, Amelie! Help me out, please. I'm going to get in the water, and when I do, hand me my PET and I'll prop myself up on the side, okay?"

"What? You afraid of your navi seeing you naked or something?" she asked jestingly. "I could understand if it was a guy or something."

"Oh... He's a guy... Yeah," Rania answered, thinking it a little ironic that anyone would have the misconception that MeleeMan was a woman. "Really, though, you want to go ahead and pass it to me?"

"Sure, sure," Amelie responded, slipping the PET to Rania and dropping her own towel to move in beside her, scrunching up next to her to look at the PET screen before Rania pushed her away embarrassedly. She blinked, watching MeleeMan appear on the screen. Her eyes lit up as she gawked at his immense form, her mouth gaping widely. "That's your navi? Wow! He's almost as buff as GladiatorMan!" she exclaimed. "Look at those muscles! He doesn't wear a lot of armor either!" she continued, causing Rania to once again become flustered.

"Huh? Who's your friend? Are you guys both naked? What the hell is all of this!?" MeleeMan asked, trying to take everything in at once.

"N-Nothing! Jack in, quick! I've got an errand for you to run!" Rania cried, connecting her PET to Yoka Net through a port in one of the fountain heads and ducking her torso down into the water a bit more to conceal her body.
This is absolutely, positively, one-hundred-percent absurd, grumbled Tem ill-temperedly as Suien's PET bounced within the bag at his side, I can almost understand your human need for a vacation, but is it absolutely necessary that you degrade yourself in this manner? It seems much more logical to enjoy the festivities in your normal attire, and to be honest, far more... acceptable.

The dark-haired netOp took a few relaxed steps down the streets of Yoka's Annual Rosewood Carnival, taking in the sights and scents of the festive occasion. Instead of his usual white shirt and jeans, Suien was clad in traditional Electopian garb, with a lightly-shimmering azure happi coat tucked neatly under a silver obi. The shirtlike piece of clothing featured a dynamic image of breaking waves crashing upon a rocky coast, and had remained one of Suien's most prized possession throughout his college years. Black hakama-style pants resolved into a pair of spotless white tabi, and a blue-and-white twist headband completed the ensemble. Brushing his raven hair to the side, he smiled as he glanced upward at the colorful paper lanterns adorning the sky. "Tem, you have to understand. It's generally considered unacceptable for someone to attend this festival without an appropriate costume," he said in a matter-of-factly tone of voice, "As a connoisseur of Electopian culture, it would be a travesty for me to ignore this fine tradition." He smiled and adjusted his glasses as a pair of kimono-clad older girls shot him a pair of coquettish glances. "Besides," he said, brushing the sleeve of his blue, wave-design Happi coat, "It's a great way for me to meet some new people. Lord knows I don't get out enough."

Tem scoffed, Then what do you call last night? she said crossly, I'd say you made quite an impression on the Electown nightlife you're your little escapades. We all know how THAT little social call ended up. Apparently, despite the promise of new upgrades and a more streamlined signature system, the tactical subsystem still refused to forgive the bespectacled netOp. Suien blushed slightly before unfolding a crimson paper fan and waving it in front of his face. "I... suppose you could call that a bit of a mistake," he replied, as he leaned up against a nearby booth, "But don't worry, I don't really feel the need to redeem myself anymore. Absolutely not!"

Suien laughed confidently, glasses shining in the sunlight. Tem, though nowhere near satisfied, managed to sigh in response as she slid back into her gemstone. That's not really an answer to my question, she muttered, But if you're sure of that, then far be it for me to intervene.

The truth was Suien was far from sure of himself. On the contrary, the very mention of the ill-fated Planeswalker Test weighed heavily upon his spirits. The dark-haired netOp shook his head, and walked over toward a nearby building. Hmm... he thought as he glanced at the shop's identifying sign, I suppose a quick dip in the onsen couldn't hurt. After all, if I can't drown this feeling in alcohol, maybe it'll pass if I drown it in soothing steam. He cleared his throat and removed his PET from his bag. "I'm going to relax at the hot springs for a bit," he said simply, "Feel free to power down for a moment."
-*-

I'm telling you Tem, it'll be awesome! Besides, if he has a support unit, he'll be more responsible toward us!

Argo, I won't have any part in your half-witted schemes. I don't know what gave you idea that Suien needed a support unit, but even if he did, YOU don't have any ideas, do you?

Look Tem, I know not everyone can be as beautiful as me, but Suien's not a bad looking guy. You can't deny that he needs the female attention given that he's been looking so goddamn down lately. I mean, he stands a better chance at getting a date than... oh, I don't know... Rasshole.

Rass sighed and looked sadly downward toward the ground.

Tem huffed in response. Your point is well-received, Argo, she said coyly, but as always, you're missing a fundamental component of any plan — the plan itself! I don't suppose you have any ideas as to how exactly we go about setting up such a foolish endeavor?

THERE IS A HIGH PROBABILITY THAT ISHAMEL IS CAPABLE OF RESOLVING THIS QUANDARY came Ishamel's earth-shattering cry. The other subsystems groaned as he streamed several obscure values through Rass' circuitry EXECUTING ROMANCE ROUTINES! STAND BY FOR APPROPRIATE ACTIONS... CALCULATIONS COMPLETE! OPERATOR UNIT SUIEN SHOULD ATTEMPT TO LURE OPERATOR UNIT RANIA INTO A SITUATION WHERE OPTIMAL INTIMATE INTERACTION CAN TRANSPIRE! BASED ON SUBSTANTIVE ANALYSIS OF OPERATOR UNIT SUIEN'S SOCIAL CHARACTER, OPTIMAL SETTING WOULD PROVIDE A STRONG DEGREE OF VALUE: AWKWARDNESS ON A MUTUALLY HEIGHTENED LEVEL. IF OPERATOR UNIT SUIEN CAN SUCCESSFULLY ACTIVATE MANLYCHARM.EXE IN THE AFOREMENTIONED SITUATION, THE OPPORTUNITY FOR PROCUREMENT OF SUPPORT UNIT RANIA MAY BE ACTUALIZED.

First of all, Ishamel, we have no idea where Rania OR Meleeman are. Second, Suien's tactless exit from the colosseum has likely snuffed out any flame that may or may not have existed in the first place. Finally, even if everything you just said made sense, you're forgetting the fundamental fact that Rania is smitten with her navi, MeleeMan. Putting our little Rass in a situation where he must choose between his friend and his netOp is way beyond his meager operating capacities.

"Hey!" protested the fusion navi, looking down at the three colored splotches on his chest, "don't... don't make fun of me! I c-can make important decisions really well!"

Oh yeah? challenged Tem, a slight edge coloring her silky tone, Then tell me, Rass, who would you support in that situation?! Does your loyalty lie with MeleeMan or with Suien?

Rass froze.

-*-

Suien took his time in the changing room of the onsen, folding his costume meticulously as he paced the room in all his towel-clad glory. Removing his PET and chip-folder from his bag, Suien leisurely made his way to the hot spring, unwrapping his towel and climbing into the warm balmy waters. As he reclined in the steam-filled area, he heard Tem's silky voice play from the PET speakers.

Suien, if it's all the same to you, I would like the opportunity to test out the new upgrades in a combat environment. she said starkly, I understand that you're relaxing at the moment, but I assure you, I can handle the strategic computing aspect of the mission. All you need to do is send the requested battlechips.

Suien frowned, but shrugged his shoulders. Reaching to grab his PET and pointing it at the nearest fountain-head, he sent the small fusion navi through the Yoka network.
Hastening as if her life depended on it, Rania got changed into her red carnival jacket, enjoying the comfy fit over the black undershirt and pants. "Well, finally, I can enjoy the carnival in peace," she sighed. Living up to her expectations, the carnival provided her with fun for her friends for many long hours. Suien was sadly forgotten in the commotion until a later date.

Pleased with her outing, Rania made a fast-track back to her house on the metroline. Little could she have suspected the event that would rock the stability of the entire net that very night and how MeleeMan would become involved in it...