Kat and Scarlet - Park Meeting

"Ah," Katherine said as Scarlet motioned toward the phone booth. "That works perfectly."

The young woman followed her new acquaintance toward the bench near the phone booth and settled down. She glanced at the PET in her hand, checking its wireless signal and making sure she was close enough to the phone booth for her Navi to be able to connect. Satisfied, she thumbed one of the buttons located along the side of the device.

"Jack in, Durandal.Exe, transmission." She murmured.

[Off to SciLabs!]
"So, Kat, I was wondering," Scarlet suddenly spoke. Propping her head up with her arms, she looked around the park, watching the lab workers leave one by one, carrying what was left of their meals with them. "I was wondering, what kind of books do you write other than fantasy? Do you write other things too, like drama, non-fiction or something? I'd really like to see your books and see what they're like sometime."

Stretching her arms out, Scarlet relaxed on the bench, placing her arms behind the bench. The translucent PET holoscreen followed her gaze as she looked up into the sky, lazily tapping the screen every now and then to operate Terra.
Katherine tapped a few buttons on the screen, transferring the share of the rewards that Durandal had sent her to her account. It was a surprisingly large sum. If they could continue on like this, Katherine would soon have enough Zenny available to purchase a few upgrades from SciLabs before she headed back home.

"Well," Katherine turned to look at Scarlet, idly toying with one of her braids. "I generally stick to fantasy and science fiction, but I have tried my hand at mysteries and I wrote a few dramatic short stories a couple of years back. I think they are still available in a few online anthologies. In 'The Netopian', I believe. I have a few of my novels on my computer back home. I can send you one if you like."

Katherine paused, checking on Durandal's progress. There would more than likely be another battle soon enough. She made sure her PET was still recording. She would need to reference the battles to keep them fresh in her mind when she went to work.

"So, what do you do, Scarlet?"
"Ooh, that sounds exciting. I like mystery. They keep me at the edge of my seat, and I usually can't stop reading," chuckled Scarlet, reminiscing about the times when she used to read thick paperback novels end-to-end every day. Now, with her work, she had little to no time for the tomes of her childhood, only managing to sneak in a thin one every now and again.

"Oh, I'd be happy to read one of your novels," she replied to Kat's offer, smiling graciously. "You could send me one of your mystery ones, I'd very much like that."

"What do I do...?" Scarlet mulled over the question for a bit, bobbing her head to the side while she contemplated on the answer. "Well, right now, I'm on my final year at Whitesoil University in Yumland. My major right now is... Semi-Sentient Programming. I finished up Terra for my final year project, though I'd been working on her a little every once in a while since I was a kid." As she explained, she waved her hand around in a careless way. "After this I'm going to apply for a Science Labs internship, maybe for a year or so."

Looking back at her PET's display screen, she chuckled, commenting, "Those two seem to be getting along really well."
"Yes, yes they do." Katherine responded. "I'm glad. My work keeps me sequestered away for long periods of time, especially when I am getting close to my deadline. Durandal doesn't have much opportunity to interact with other Navi outside of a work environment."

Katherine paused, taking a moment to glance around the area. The park was quite pretty in the morning light. Sunlight reflected off dew in the grass and on the leaves of a few bushes near the bench where the duo sat. The dew would burn off in the afternoon sun, but for now it glistened. Kat caught the scent of fleshly cut grass on a gust of wind and turned to see a gardener carrying a sack of trimmings to a waiting truck. She would have to find the time to visit this park more often.

"...hesitate to see what is in store for us in the future," Durandal's voice brought Kat back to the action.

Katherine looked down at her PET and caught sight of the newest virus group. It was no larger than the last group, but the viruses looked ready for the two Navi and the terrain was once again a disadvantage. Katherine glanced over at the handful of BattleChips sitting to her left and wondered what would be the most effective opening move. Durandal and Terra were both wounded and, while Kat had a couple of restoration sub-chips, she had no way of healing Durandal in the midst of combat.

"It seems like these viruses are quickly growing to equal our combined combat abilities," Katherine mused aloud. "I shall have to invest in some more BattleChips or process upgrades for future incursions."
Scarlet looked up at the battle currently ongoing, and smiled confidently. Terra was handling the situation quite skillfully, despite having been compiled into existence not two days ago. All those long nights spent debugging had paid off. Her fingers brought up a floating holographic keyboard, and sent some communication through to Terra, along with some reinforcement.

She overheard Katherine's little muse, and thought about her own situation herself. Sure, she could probably get the chips and upgrades from her own estate, but where was the fun in that? Scarlet wanted her Navi to become stronger of her own accord, not because of her wealth.

"I'm admittedly a bit low on those resources myself, I think," Scarlet said in response to the statement. "I don't think we won't find any usable BattleChips on these sorts of trips, as viruses drop them at a fairly frequent rate. Upgrades are quite fairly priced for basic packages, though the advanced ones really do cost quite a bit of zenny."

A low voice from her PET's screen interrupted her. "Scarlet, the battle is over." She snapped to attention, looking at Terra's poker face stare back. "Yes?" Scarlet replied, not knowing what was needed of her. "Durandal and I have sustained some wounds. Should we continue?"

Scarlet turned to the holoscreen that displayed Terra's status. Checking her Navi's statistics one by one, she nodded. "Sure, I don't see any reason not to. We'll continue for a battle or two more," she said.
Confirming the successful return of Terra to her PET, Scarlet exhaled a sigh of relief, and continued to systematically run an analysis on her Navi's current status. While she waited for the results, she turned to Katherine and sighed with a smile. "Well, this was a fun exercise," she noted, chuckling slightly. "Looks like we both got good results out of it."

A beep from her holoscreen signified the end of the confirmatory Navigator testing, with all signs positive. Scarlet tapped a button on the screen, causing it to fizz out of existence. She stood up, stretching her limbs out. "Well, it was nice working with you. We should do this again sometime, I figure," she said. She then held out her hand to Katherine in offering of a handshake.
"Yes," Katherine said as she stood up. "Most enjoyable and profitable. We really must do this again some time. Besides, I believe that our Navi have gotten along quite famously. Perhaps we can meet sometime without all of the virus battling to serve as a distraction. Maybe for coffee? I'll be sure to bring a copy of that book."

Katherine took Scarlet's hand, offering a smile as they said goodbye to each other. The battles really had proven enlightening. She would need to watch her recordings and see if she had missed anything important, but otherwise she felt she had enough to meet her current deadline. Perhaps she would give Roland a sorceress companion, one who specialized in nature magic. She made a mental note of the possibility.

"Come on, Durandal." She called to her Navi. "Let's take a quick look in the store while we're here and then head home."
Parting with their farewells, Scarlet walked away from the park, satisfied with the experience of virus-busting in tandem. She walked a fair bit before realizing that she had not gone to the Navi Shop, which was her original intention. D'oh, she mentally reprimanded herself, before turning in the opposite direction and walking over to the upgrade store.
((7 FXP rewarded for Scarlet and Katherine))