Women's Studies

So you know that Women's Studies class I'm in?

I found a strange dichotomy of ideas between me and one of my classmates (the one who's the leader of the campus feminist organization, naturally.) I believe that racism and sexism are over when nobody bothers thinking about them any more. Censoring ourselves and being worried about saying anything that might be seen as offensive is a bad thing; it means we still have a problem. One of my classmates thinks otherwise, saying that what I'm saying threatens to stifle advocacy that needs to happen; that just sitting down and pretending it's all better already isn't going to fix anything.

What do you think?

I have outlined my thoughts in a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4TD9HpdIHM
Interesting stuff, I see your point of view because once nobody thinks about these subjects and words with negative connotations are no longer treated as such, then there would no longer be any bad feelings felt by anyone hearing them, thus eradicating all of the issues, although on the other hand, for such a thing to occur, all social and racial barriers would have to be completely broken down on a worldwide scale to avoid segregation.

I feel that it is in human nature for people to group together, there are many reasons for this, this may be just natural traits a person is born with or the cultures they grow up in, from such groups comes advantages and disadvantages that are gained, this eventually leads to contempt from others from different groups, who would likely have little understanding of the others customs, cultures and may feel envious of the others perks and feel discontent from their disadvantages...

Tough one to ponder...

And I've probably totally missed the mark but the topic interested me so I gave it a go ^^

With regards, Leiquan
You know what they say Kazu, two wrongs make a right. The only way of getting rid of racism and sexism is to give an equally unfair advantage to the group that was discriminated against.

...kinda like how the solution to WW2 was to let Jews murder some Germans. The problem wasn't gonna fix itself by merely stopping the specific situation and sitting on our asses.
I agree with kazu, I've noted that the only reason people notice racism in canada or america anymore is because people are trying to avoid racism. in other countries where there is still a difference/prejudice between between races and sexes there needs to be a balance made so that they are equal. in this situation, simply abolishing the rules will not fix any problems.

On the other hand, when I was growing up I didn't notice or understand a difference between the races until my mom explained to me that "they didn't have bad sunburns all of the time", and didn't think of how they should be treated differently. if you took a random mix of kids and raised them together without outside racial/sexism influence, you'd get the kids grouping by how they act. yes, you'd still have groups, but it would be biased on music tastes or something, rather than skin tone, and violence would still be graded by differences between the groups (I, for one, would probably shoot all of the hanna montanna fans).

In fact, some of the "human rights" things are going in a screwball way to me. one of the black rights groups in my area is fighting to have an all black school. Now forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some thing during the 'race revolution' that was to combined schools or let everyone use the same one...

I dunno, it's probably in not making this current action retarded or redundant in any way

also, drakim, I know you're pretty smart, but 'letting jews murder some germans' was an action to 'merely stop that specific situation', and since nether group was completely wiped out and still hold grudges without doing anything to each other, we are technically 'sitting on our asses'. issac newton's 3 laws of motion kinda apply to group dynamics. 'Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it. ' fits pretty good here.

Quote (Niax)

also, drakim, I know you're pretty smart, but 'letting jews murder some germans' was an action to 'merely stop that specific situation', and since nether group was completely wiped out and still hold grudges without doing anything to each other, we are technically 'sitting on our asses'. issac newton's 3 laws of motion kinda apply to group dynamics. 'Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it. ' fits pretty good here.

Wat.

Sarcasm Drakim is confused about this confusing reply.

Quote (Drakim)

Quote (Niax)

Wat.

BIIIISOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!

Quote (Legoroy)

Quote (Drakim)

Quote (Niax)

Wat.

BIIIISOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!

What? It's 3 in the friggin' morning!! I"m going to be trying to find the strongest warrior today and I have you waking me up! What the hell do you want!

----

@drakim: sorry, it was like midnight when I posted, I completely misunderstood what you wrote, rendering my reply null...
I agree with Kazu's light explanation typed here.

Sadly, I also feel that while drakim was trying to be sarcastic with his original reply and two wrongs, that's exactly what people are trying to do anymore. Or at least some of the more extreme parties.
When we don't need to feel superior, we'll probably get over it.