....ashamed

I'm sorry about asking you all about comp troubles. It's probably what my mom says it is. But here's the outline/ect.

THE PROBLEM: Well, my comp has been getting slow. I would write this off as virus infection (as I have none good protection, and always shut off my scans because I am very outdated in protection), but I keep getting "delay write failed errors". The most common place is in $Mft or the like. Just lately it's gotten so bad as to now I can't even turn off my comp without it messing up. It only really happens when I turn on or turn off my comp. MY comp shouldn't act so slow (it acts slow defraged as well), even with virus, as I still have 3/4 of my memory left >_>.

MOM's THEORY: Due to non-cleaning and misuse, dust would have gotten in my comp and short circuited some things. Such making certain parts of my hard drive not work right.

MY THEORY: Somewhat like the above ;_;

well......any ideas? ;_;
I've never heard of dust making the computer slower. I'm pretty sure that isn't possible. Dust can make it overhead and suddenly shut down, or make it lockup.

Your best bet is that it is a virus of some kind. Try restarting your computer and running it is "safe mode" and see if it still so slow. Safe mode is a light version of everything, so anything except the very basic (including any virus) is stopped from running.

Post and tell how it goes.
First of all, how?

Second, a secondary problem: MY I.E based internet borwser will not open when clicked, but WAAAYYY LATER....and then when you try to sign in, it can't connect. Just now I saw that the sign in names are gone, however.
Also, try Avast!. It's free.

-Twi
Twi should also be able to point you to something cool called AdAware.

A new browser might be a good idea. Try one of the firefox spinoffs (Thunderbird or something?) And Opera. I use Opera sometimes, when I'm feeling paranoid about a site for some reason or other.
^ Opera has a few down side compare to other browsers, but it's only minor XD. You should try it, common.
While we're on the subject...

Anyone know of a good Mac-compatible antivirus program? Preferrably a free one. One came with the computers, but for some reason it won't function on version 10.4, which is what I run on. ;>_>

Because of this, I get really paranoid whenever a download goes slow, even if it's just due to a momentarily botched internet connection.

If any of you could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

As for you, Common... I'm afraid I don't have any good advice or resources to offer, due to a lack of much Windows experience. I wish you the best of luck, though, for all that's worth. =P
Holy crap...I just used avast and scanned the entire comp. I had over 175 trojans o_o;; *Happy that my comp got little faster X3*
actually, It's not Firefox that's screwing around. It's my IE one. It sucks cuz that's the only one I have that play the anime I watch because I can't get another browser, mom would freak.

And king, No one likes a Mac....so you should really hurry on that virus protection. Because Mac haters might have made viruses!

Speaking of which....I can't connect to teh internets with Norton installed. Anyone have a suggestion?
I already know people make viruses. I can't hurry on virus protection I don't have. Do you know of any protection a Mac man such as I will be able to have?

I see no reason to hurry, though. If my computer isn't already spouting evils from before time, much less showing substantial signs of slowing, it can wait a little while longer before I eventually immolate the entire virus population.

Quote (commondragon)

Speaking of which....I can't connect to teh internets with Norton installed. Anyone have a suggestion?

Impossible to say before you tell us what kind of internet connection you have.

Quote (commondragon)

actually, It's not Firefox that's screwing around. It's my IE one. It sucks cuz that's the only one I have that play the anime I watch because I can't get another browser, mom would freak.

And king, No one likes a Mac....so you should really hurry on that virus protection. Because Mac haters might have made viruses!

Norton = Crap.

IE (Even with the knockoff Tabbed-Browsing) = Crap.

Get Firefox (Make your mom sit down and TELL HER that it's got 90% less security holes than IE)

Get Ad-Aware SE Personal (Adware be gooooone!)

And if you haven't already, get Avast Home Edition. It's also free.

These are my recommendations to you. Also, can't help you with Norton aside from telling you to turn it off because it's crap.

-Twi
Meh, thanks all. I would really like to of tried avast, but you know, the whole lightning killed my comp thing >_>

Read my newest welcome center topic youz
While you're at it, buddy up AdAware with Spybot S&D. For all intents and purposes, it serves as the Chris Tucker to the AdAware's Jackie Chan. If you havn't watched Rush Hour, what I mean is that it functions to cull through material that Ad-Aware wouldn't normally alert you to. These include alot of accumulated tracking cookies that, while minor annoyances, can have adverse affects on your processing speeds when allowed to pile.
Update both regularly.

On top of those two, grab Hijackthis. It effectively summons a comprehensive list of all running and background apps, and allows you to specifically delete suspicious ones. These may include Browser Hijack Objects, which, suffice to say, can be annoying to remove when they get into the registry.
I'll offer the warning that HJT is for more advanced users. Specifically, it doesn't inform you to which objects are 'bad', and so unless you know your way around the world of malevolent objects, I'd recommend saving a log and posting it on any forum where they look at Hijack logs.

Norton -is- bull. It requires ludicrous amounts of both start-up time and processing power to acheive a mediocre effect. Go freeware; AVG or Avast do fine.

And get ZoneAlarm for a firewall.

Oh, and just so Kazu doesn't confuse anyone, Thunderbird is Mozilla's email client, not a browser. Use Firefox, as has been asserted numerous times.
About the interernet, It's DSL. I uninstalled it once and I had to use the restore disks to get my internet back ;_;