DRAGONS? IN MAH RP?

Well, I got to thinking after my dragon drawings and that little excerpt in 8BallHead's challenge topic.

How about a dragon RP?

Perhaps you could customize your dragon, and have a rider, no rider, and customize both. I've got a few cool ideas, but maybe you guys could help me throw some out there...

MY BRAINSTORM LIST:
-Different types of dragons (attack styles)
Like, maybe, magical ones, ones that rely on their type of breath (fire, acid, etc), ones that use physical attacks, that kind of thing.
-Different links between the dragon and rider. Symbiotic (more than a few days apart causes severe pain, and maybe even death), parasitic (rider uses dragon), mental (telepathic link, ripped from Eragon, so probably not), none (yawn), etc.
-An RPG type style. It'll take awhile, but I can craft a world with some thought, and maybe I can have people play as merchants (player-run economy).
-Innovative battle style. This will be HARD. But the 1-2-3 thing gets old REALLY fast. D:
-Upgrades for dragon AND rider. Obviously, in combat, both will be involved, and I'd like to have it that both have to protect each other. Maybe the dragon has tons of HP, but good RP'ing can score crit. hits a lot, and the rider is weak, but can use magic n' shit to help.
-Different play styles, obviously. You can have different combat things, like target dragon, target rider, defense, marksmanship...etc...
-A satisfying level system

Obviously, I'll need a lot of help for this.

But, really, can I get a few things...
1. Opinions on the RP in general (Y/N)
2. Possible ideas that stray from the usual RP path
3. CHARACTER SHEET TYPE STUFF. Stats are hard to screw with.
4. Possible members. I REALLY REALLY need people to say that they'll actually join and become a member, or help out in administrative matters. (I'll make a list. PM me to talk to me about adminship, that kind of thing, if I decide to get cracking on this.)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT.
-Your Neighborhood Hiko
This sounds awsome. If ou want some non-Eragon type dragon with rider fights, look at the Dragonlance series. The Dragons use their breath, size and claws quite well, but specialy designed wepons (such as the Dragonlance) are highly efective against them. Dragons are powerful, strong, and fast, but they are a bit too ponderous due to their tendanc to think before acting, and the human riders are mostly responsible for things that need a quick response. The are also better at tactics for acomplishing specific goals, as dragons end to have rouble focusing on smaller pictures rather than the big one. There's no link of any sort, just a sort of mutual partnership.

Also, the mental link is a rip from Dragons of Pernia, a series from the 80's, not Eragon.

Anyway, a dragns breath weapon is iconic, so you shouldn't even get rid of that. What you can change, however, is how POWERFUL the breath weapon is. For example, you can have three types of dragons. For now, let's call them Casters, Breathers, and Scrapers. Casters are the only ones that can use spells, but their breath attack is weak, and they're not physicaly strong (by dragon standards.) Breathers have the strongest breath weapons, average strength and hp, but no magic. Scrapers have high HP and strength but weak breath weapons and no magic. Casters have the most variety of abilities, Breathers can cause a good bit of damage to large groups of enemies, and Scrappers excell at 1:1 slugfests, but they can't do the others job.

Also, in all honesty, I don't really see a need for riders. Why not just dragons?
....Uh....Wut R dragons? Lolololol
lol @ Zan.

Er, @ Zolem, sorry about the Eragon/Pernia mixup, and erm. Riders are cool for a few reasons.
A: You can choose to not have them, and be - ZOMG. I JUST REALIZED.
Riders are a powerup.
>:3
At a certain level, you could obtain one for more actions in a turn, more char opportunities, and more coolness.
B: I like the symbiotic idea. As in, if you're separate, you die. XD I mean, for too long. That adds closeness to the relationship.
C: It also adds more balance - just dragons seems too bland, almost.
RE:RN captures the you-hafta-control-two-chars-that-play-different-roles-at-the-same-time scheme well. And I think with dragons and riders it would work well.
I haven't worked out how dragons should talk yet - ...
Mental projection seems best.
Dragons don't really SPEAK.
So...Riders are Support Programs!
Not to bug, but telepathy has been a means for many a dragon to commune with its subjects from afar, and is not particularly linked to a specific book/movie, although you did make it clear where you got the idea from. On a sidenote, the symbiotic nature could also have been drawn from there, albeit in different aspects. XD

Also, remember that symbiosis is usually used for survival, and thusly when separated, what likely kills the two is the lack of support from the other. (Example: Sharks and Remoras: without the shark, the remora would possibly starve or otherwise find its own food, whereas without the remora, the shark likely becomes dragged by its filth, which slows it down and possibly afflicts its gills.)

Also, if you've ever played D&D, you'd know that dragons speak. They just usually stick with Draconic, because would prefer not to lower themselves to the level of the 'lesser beings' (humans, etc.) by speaking Common. XD

But eh, that's just my two cents. Not really into dragons and riders myself. Eh...
Quite frankly, I think the thought of a dragon speaking makes it seem so much lower.

They don't degrade themselves with speech! I think telepathy may indeed be the best way to go here, along with symbiosis. The symbiosis, I think, as well, will be more mental, with helpful thoughts and survival tactics more than anything else.

Eh...>.>
<.<
And I have played D&D. >_>
<___<

This is beginning to be difficult.
XD

I may make an edit to the beginning topic with ideas for suggestions for the RP name, etc.
MOAR CHIMNEYS, MOOOAR!

And by that I mean dragons.

Dragons! Enemies of dem damned Phoenixs! D:<

Dragon > WAR! < Phoenix

Two different groups of humans support them.

Like WoW, y'see?

RAWR!
lol, wuttt.

Hrm...names for forummm...
>_>

The Eloquent Wyrm
Sounds cool.
XD

Draco Cryptica
Sounds neat, too.
XD
just thinking.
Dragonheart!

No....

Nogare!

Boo........

Draconis Infidellium!

Yay!
Infidellium?
(I like that. Just explain. XD)
It stands for "Hell's Rider" in Madeupish.

Quote (Hiko's First Post)

But, really, can I get a few things...
1. Opinions on the RP in general (Y/N)
2. Possible ideas that stray from the usual RP path
3. CHARACTER SHEET TYPE STUFF. Stats are hard to screw with.
4. Possible members. I REALLY REALLY need people to say that they'll actually join and become a member, or help out in administrative matters. (I'll make a list. PM me to talk to me about adminship, that kind of thing, if I decide to get cracking on this.)

1. I'd say yes. Sounds like fun.

2. No ideas. Go on with what you've got. Sounds unique enough so far.

3. I think personally, that it'd be interesting to go with the whole Dragons only, human's support. I think, if it were me, I'd add humans as starting and make dragon's their support, however this would take away from some of the dragony-ness of the game, so what you've got going looks great. Also, as far as the whole classes thing goes, I'd say its a good idea, though I have no personal opinions on what they should be, unless you want to go with the usual Tanker-Fighter-Healer-Support-Speed-Caster-Ranger type thing.

4. I'd join, most likely, depending on how it turns out.

The only name that popped into my mind was Draconic Inferno. . . I've never been very good at naming things.
Thanks.
I've created the forum, and I'm working on it, and trying to get forum markers.
>.>
I think I have one...
I'm in, but perhaps there could be a territory side to i...

never mind bad idea, but in.
IDEA
IDEA

Triangles.
>:3

Perhaps something like...
Elementalism > Holy Magic
Holy Magic > Dark Magic (Shamanism)
Dark Magic > Elementalism

That sort of thing.
>>
You can specify what in those categories for a casting role.

And for physical...
Brute > Accurate
Accurate > Defensive
Defensive > Brute

Magical breath...
Fire > Acid
Acid > Ice
Ice > Fire
That sort of thing.

EDIT: Those are just guidelines for stats, damage, etc.
You can have any category or strategy, I'll just classify. Or the user does.
>_>
Like, not always Acid - that's not really a broad enough category, in my opinion.

Quote (ForteZanzo)

Also, if you've ever played D&D, you'd know that dragons speak. They just usually stick with Draconic, because would prefer not to lower themselves to the level of the 'lesser beings' (humans, etc.) by speaking Common. XD

Actually, dragons usually like to impress foes/potential allies by talking circles around them in their own language. It's also easier to scare sombody shitless if they know exactly how horrible their death will be.

And Hiko, isn't Dark>Elemental>Light>Dark a bit too direct a take from Fire Emblem?

And shouldn't Ice lose to fire since Fire melts ice? It should be Fire>Ice (melted, duh)>Acid (freezes it solid)> Fire (extinguishes since it's a liquid)

But Triangles are a great idea. That solves a lot of problems.

Also. on the whole telepathy thing, that's usualy a bad idea. Telepathy makes it too easy to Godmode strategies between rider and mount. Having to shout, talk, use gestures ect. can be good in-gmae RPing and clues. For example, say the evil warlord's Ice-Brute riders always double tap their dragons right side to recomand/command (depending on if dragons are inteligent or not) a diving run on ground infantry. Smart players pick up on cues like that to plan their own strtegy.
Hrm....
Still, the idea of dragons speaking annoys me.
Greatly.

Sentience is seemingly carried through thought.
>_>
<__<
DAMN YOU YOU FOUND WHERE I GOT THE IDEA FROM.
XD
XXXXXXD
But, I don't suppose you have anything better for magics...>_>

I suppose you're right for the breath.

Erm...another thought...
The stats go like this.
Attacking type advantage: x2
Attacking type disadvantage: x1/2
Defending, the same...

I was thinking that in the beginning, dragons with riders may not respond to commands - like, there should be a relationship stat, too, that is increased with good communication in RP'ing.

And dayum. Does anyone know how to change the little icons? you know, for the forum? we've got the flashing platforms, but I tried to change it and it didn't work...;~;
I would like to know as well for the forum I'm making.
NUTHER QESTSHUN:

How do I get those nice font bold color things for members of different ranks?
Like The Red Fist, Officer, etc.