Elemental Bonuses

Something I noticed about the different elements is that something I thought would be key to element-building is missing:

Quote (Elements and Subtypes)

Aqua
Won't slide on ice panels.
Fire
Takes no damage from lava panels.
Wood
Heals HP while standing on grass panels.
Elec
Unaffected by magnet panels.

There's no elemental bonuses...

If a Fire-type navi is standing on a Lava panel, shouldn't the panel by definition give the user more power, since it is magnifying the heat of the navi's core data?

What I was thinking was this: when a navi is standing on a panel with the same element as it, attacks should gain the same power using an elemental chip would give to a navi.

Base: +5 to same element.
L5: +5 to same element. +5 additional to same element if attack only hits one opponent.
L10: +10 to same element. +5 additional to same element if attack only hits one opponent.
L15: +10 to same element. +10 additional to same element if attack only hits one opponent.
L20: +15 to same element. +10 additional to same element if attack only hits one opponent.

This is obviously stackable with the original bonus.

So, if a Wood-based level 10 navi was to fire a Cannon [40 dmg] on a Wood panel, it would gain 15 damage (10+5 for single hit.) HOWEVER, if an Elec-based level 10 navi was to fire a Magbolt1 [90 dmg] on a Metal panel, it would gain 30 damage (10+5 for single hit, 10+5 for same element.)

Of course, this would need balancing, or that would be overbalanced. Maybe once every round, you may use the terrain as a booster? Also, the terrain that allows this boosting would need to be limited to 1 type per element.

Basically, this is an example:

Aqua
Won't slide on ice panels.
Bonus damage dealt while standing on sea panels.
Fire
Takes no damage from lava panels.
Bonus damage dealt while standing on lava panels.
Wood
Heals HP while standing on grass panels.
Bonus damage dealt while standing on wood panels.
Elec
Unaffected by magnet panels.
Bonus damage dealt while standing on metal panels.

Just something I felt should be mentioned.
The reasoning behind the elements and corresponding terrain comes pretty much directly from the games. Elemental Navis already get an attack bonus for using their element with their chips; adding additional bonuses from terrain seems kind of redundant, plus Null element Navis would be left out completely. There are plenty of ways to utilize terrain to boost your attack power already (elec on metal/water panels, fire on grass panels, aqua on ice/glass panels, etc.).

In short, if we didn't already have elemental bonuses, this wouldn't be a bad idea.
See, that's another thing. Normal-type navis should have a bonus as well. Not necessarily a terrain bonus, but just saying "No bonuses" makes Normal sound so cheap...
There is one thing about the Elem bonuses that bothers me.

And that's the fact that it stops giving bonuses at +15 if it hits multiple enemies.

FIVES IN HP BUG ME.

Quote (Sj)

See, that's another thing. Normal-type navis should have a bonus as well. Not necessarily a terrain bonus, but just saying "No bonuses" makes Normal sound so cheap...

I think the intended bonus is that you don't take double damage from anything, normally.

It's sort of the "no risk" option.

Quote (Corrupted Child)

Quote (Sj)

I think the intended bonus is that you don't take double damage from anything, normally.

It's sort of the "no risk" option.

This. You can't have your cake and eat it too :3

Likewise, a pure healer in a game won't be going around doling out 10000000 damage AoE nukes.

Likewise, someone who has no elemental risk won't be getting any elemental bonuses.

Quote ()

Likewise, a pure healer in a game won't be going around doling out 10000000 damage AoE nukes.

Of course. If he did, he wouldn't be a pure healer. (I also can't think of any pure healer except white mage class from FF. And even they got holy.)

Putting the nitpicking aside, some more involvement with terrain wouldn't be bad (there are some alternate element panel types, maybe with those?) but straight bonuses like that are boring and we don't really need them.