Out in the Network

Something rumbled high overhead. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning lanced down through the network, almost instantly joined by a flurry of others. They focused on the same spot on the panelset below, and met with a blinding flash and a rolling roar of thunder. The next second the lightning was gone, leaving only a Navi behind.

Raiden raised his head and looked around. It took him a moment, but then a grin spread across his face. "So this is where we start, huh? Doesn't look like much, I'll give it that," he said. His voice was not the same as it had been just before Anti had jacked him in; it had grown a bit lower and had acquired a sarcastic edge to it. His burnished silver eyes had narrowed, too, but remained as bright and unblinking as before.

"What the heck is up with you?" Anti shot back from somewhere high overhead. The words echoed slightly as they made the transition from the real world to the virtual one. Raiden looked up, his grin growing a little bit wider. It was not a happy smile; it was a wise-guy smirk.

"Do you know how prisms work, Anti?"

"Of course I do, I'm not an idiot."

"Right," he muttered under his breath. Her eyes narrowed dangerously.

"What was that?"

"Nothing. Anyway, CTRLs work like prisms. We channel the power of other stuff like the network we're in, as you said, but at the same time, we take on the personality of the network itself. This place is a bit of a pain in the neck, so that's what I turn into."

"Just keep a rein on your wiseassing."

"No promises," he murmured, looking around. Anti's mouth formed a very, very thin line as she glared scathingly at her PET screen. She wasn't exactly sure if she was going to like this new Navi or not.

"So what do we do now?"

"What do you mean, 'what do we do now'?" she snapped back. "Haven't you ever been busting?"

"Nope."

"Aw, man..."

"All right, hint taken. I'll go find some stuff to bust."

With that, he took off along the path that led away from the spot where he had appeared, Anti watched from a separate world, hoping that things wouldn't end up going as bad as she expected them to.

[Battle 1, please.]
[Bump.]
Why is ACDC Net a pain in the ass? Raiden soon finds out.

SeedbatA:50
SeedbatA:50
CanodumbA:50

Raiden:100

Battle 1, Start!
"So these are virii, huh?"

Anti slapped her forehead and dragged her hand down over her face, stretching the skin out of place and then letting it snap back again. "You've never seen virii."

He folded his arms and shrugged, the grin not on his face for the moment. "Well, the NNDC server was always totally secure. Never had any of this riff-raff clonkin' around."

"Well, do you at least know what to do?"

"Sure I do. I can use a chip better than you can."

"Well, that's a given, seeing as you're a Navi--"

"You talk a lot."

Raiden spun to face the small group of virii. Around him, the network abruptly had the vibrance leached out of it. The tiles under his feet, the dark sky over his head, and the very air around him--everything except for Raiden himself--quickly went a dull grey. He held out one hand, curling two fingers and a thumb inward to point the remaining two at the virii. Something grew at the tips of his fingers--a sphere of shining white light, just waiting to be released. As the brightness on the ends of his fingers grew, his silver eyes ramped up as well, until they were glowing almost as brightly as the energy charge. Then he snapped his entire hand back as if firing an imaginary gun and the sphere of light shot off, tracing a bright arc through the air as it sailed toward the stationary Canodumb.

"So that's drawing on the network?"

"Yeah. Amazing you figured it out."

Anti slammed one fist down on the desk, but said nothing in reply.

Raiden, meanwhile, swivelled slightly to face the two flying seeds. His bright eyes had just been dying down, but now they swelled to brightness again. The red hues of the quickly restoring network flooded away before they could fully replace themselves. THe red colours concentrated themselves in the tiles directly underneath the chosen virii. He lowered one hand to hip level, visually skimmed over the two foes, and then whipped his arm up over his head. With a mighty roaring, the redness that had left the network's pallette surged up and exploded into searing flame.

"That's cool," Anti said, holding back her true feelings of a sudden gaining of power. "Now just get out of their way."

Raiden nodded silently, his grin coming back as he rolled forward onto the balls of his feet to get ready.

[1. Shotgun on CanondumbA (50 dmg)
2. Flameline on Seedbat A & B (70 x 2 = 140 dmg)
3. Dodge]
The virii never saw it coming. Especially not the giant turrent of fire from an Electric Navi.

SeedbatA:!DELETED!
SeedbatA:!DELETED!
CanodumbA:!DELETED!

Raiden:100

Victory!
GET: 300 zenny
"Wow. I...wow. Very nice."

Raiden executed a short bow. "Thanks for all the help. Your arm must be really tired after slotting in both of those chips."

Whatever triumph she had been experiencing fell right off her face. "You're an ass."

"Yeah, guess so. Thank you very much, ma'am." Not giving her any time to retort from this last burst of sarcasm, he pointed toward a tower of light that lit up the network a fair distance away. "Now, what do you say to going and seeing why that thing's attracting Navis like a magnet?"

Anti looked up, doing her best to let the latest remark slide off her. Raiden was correct; a number of Navis were hurrying toward the tower of light, which seemed to be flowing upwards from a portal installed amongst the network's panelset.

"Want to go see?" he asked, snapping her out of her reverie.

"Uh, yeah. Might as well."

"Sure you don't want to think about it some more?"

"Oh, shut up."

Raiden was already running toward the tower of light that led upwards from the portal.

[Done. Thanks for the whole...uh...one round of modding, Demon. Please leave this topic open, though. I'm probably going to come back and use it again.]