Memoriam and Pianissimo

((This is your topic for the event. Post here when the confirmation is given.))
Pianissimo grunted as he appeared on the netscape and immediately took a kneeling position. "Oof...did I hit a deer or something?" he asked.

"Hit a deer? You weren't even driving anything!" Duke answered from amidst a mass of static.

"Yeah, but I was traveling through a datastream at high speed and couldn't see where I was going," Pianissimo answered, acting as though this was cause for the possibility of hitting a deer. "By the way, what's with the static? Having problems with your wireless again?"

In the real world, Duke shook his head and typed a few commands into his laptop. "No, the wireless is fine," he said. "There's something scrambling the signal here, though. By the way, how are you able to stand like that?"

"Stand like what?"

"You're standing on a wall about ten feet off the ground."

Pianissimo looked down, then up at the ground in front of him. "Huh, so I am," he said casually as he fell from the wall, then flipped in the air to land on his feet. He looked up again, and simply stared.

The entire scene was chaos. He had just been jacked into a massive battlefield. He wasn't in the line of fire by any means, but everywhere he looked there were battles in the distance as far as he could see. There were no random viruses waiting to ambush him, they were all either watching the battles or finishing off the remains of navis left for dead. Aside from the wall he had just dropped from, the entire area was in ruins. Pianissimo turned to look again and realized this held true for the wall as well, which ended in what appeared to be a melted mass of concrete a couple feet above where he had been standing. What was left of the ground was covered in rubble, scorched from buster shots, and painted with blood data. The sounds of gunfire filled the air, occasionally punctuated by the painful shrieks of wounded navis falling all around and, for some of the closer battles, occasionally the sound of weapons rending armor and flesh. The navi on the broadcast hadn't been exaggerating. In fact, it was probably just the opposite.

It looked like, at least until he caught up with most of the netpolice forces and was able to render assistance, he would be on his own. It didn't bother him, however. Dealing with navis such as Persephone got tiring after awhile.
Memoriam charged across the net with furious speed, dodging obstacles and weapon fire with equal speed flourish. More than once, a stray shot bounced off of his shield, sending shivers through Memoriam's body as he concentrated hard to keep power flowing to the energy-field that was his lifeline in this extremely dangerous environment.

This was your idea! shouted Kazu's scared and angry voice. What are you going to do when you get deleted out here?

"I'll have nobody to blame but myself! Come on, what's the use of all this Netbattling you're doing with me if I can't fight for justice with this power?" Memoriam whooped as he vaulted off a chunk of rubble and slid down a twisted piece of metal, finally diving for hard cover, where his aura shielded him from the impact.
Pianissimo blinked as he saw someone charging towards his location. Company...friend or foe? he thought, surveying the approaching navi for a second before moving out of the way as it vaulted over a piece of metal and landed nearby. He was behind the new arrival, his katana in his hand in seconds. "You, state your name and purpose here," he said quietly.
Memoriam whirled and leapt backwards, meeting the metal blade with his own energy weapon, before answering.

"Memoriam, operated by Kazuhiro Ishihara, here to join the fight against the NetMafia." Smirking, he dematerialized his sword and put his hands on his hips. "If you're a NetMafia goon," he said teasingly, "You'd best give up now!"
"Awful confident in yourself," Pianissimo said, not shifting his position. "Nonetheless...I suppose it's good to...wait a second, did you just say your operator was Kazuhiro Ishihara?"

"Something wrong, Pianissimo?" Duke asked, having heard only pieces of the conversation through static.

"This guy claims Kazu is his netop."

"What? Are you sure he's telling the truth? What happened to Titania and Oberon?"

"I'd rather like to know that myself."
"I wouldn't get my operator's name wrong, but all he told me about his last Navi was that he was unfit to operate them. Apparently he wasn't your typical Navi. Kind of like me, except they were really--"

That's enough. Kazuhiro cut his Navi off by activating a video feed of himself in the Net. Memoriam's got the story mostly right. The Navis you remember are... He trailed off. He wanted to trust Pianissimo. He knew he could trust them both. And he couldn't bear to lie about the pair's fate, to someone who had known them.

I've been telling people that their... unique nature caused them to spontaneously self-corrupt. It would make sense. I don't actually know why they didn't. Kazu hesitantly unwound the lie he'd constructed over the course of-- he didn't even know how long. The truth is, they became totally self-reliant, which, I think, is what we hoped for from the start. I don't know where they are now, but they're probably finding it easier to search for their destiny without me.

For a moment, he was silent. He didn't like to admit it to himself, but he was a bit ashamed of having abandoned a Navi for a second time. And he still didn't know how long he wanted to do this for. Why would he want to fight when at every turn he saw Toshokan in the eyes of his Navi? Who would willingly send a friend into danger? Kazu was too caring of a Netop, and he knew it. That caring nature had put the NetPolice on his trail a long time ago. It would not happen again.

"Come on, lighten up! How am I supposed to fight when my power source is too busy being wrapped up in drama?" Memoriam leaned back more tightly against the wall that he and the other Navi were using for cover as a stray shot grazed his shield.
Pianissimo became aware of a presence behind the two, but luckily it was simply a few Netpolice officers who had managed to take the same cover as the two.

"Hey, what's all this? Some kind of costume party going on back here?" a big-chinned Navi shouted at the two. "You two have weapons, so I'm guessing your here to fight. What are ya doin' hangin' around behind this wall? If you're in such great shape, get out there and fight those guys! Time's wasting, get the bugs out of your systems!"

"Captain, get your grip!" another female Navi with spiked pink hair and too much makeup spoke up. She promptly raised her gun and aimed it at Pianissimo's forehead. "What the hell makes you think we can assume these guys are on our side? Remember, the signals got scrambled! I've taken down two Navis already that didn't look like Mafia and showed aggression. This guy looks like bad news, too, and I can just smell the reek of a bad guy on the shrimp. Why don't we ice them right now?"

"Don't jump to conclusions..." the final Navi, a non-humanoid shaped more like a ball with two glowing eyes and two arms and legs than a man. His arm stretched out just slightly to grab the gun arm of his companion and lower it. "If these two had been looking to ambush us, we'd be dead now. And, by their appearance, they clearly haven't been in battle yet, so they wouldn't be NetMafia in hiding. I don't frankly care if they were just passing through, we could use two fresh hands to help us out here. You see," he said, turning to the two, "the thing that has us pinned back here-"

The Navi speaking was interrupted by a huge wave of rattling gunfire that shook the wall the five hid behind, sending bits of rubble zipping past and raising a cloud of dust. "WHY ARE YOU HIDING FROM ME, BEATRIX," a voice ringing with a metallic echo called out from behind the wall. "I TOLD YOU I WON'T HURT ANY MORE OF THEM... YOU'RE ON MY SIDE, MY SIDE, MY SIDE," the voice whined, growing to a roar. "MY SIIIDE!!" it screamed, pelting the wall with so many shots that holes began to emerge. It wouldn't last much longer.

"Hey, NetPolice," a dull-voice called out. "We aren't any more comfortable using this thing than you are being attacked by it, if you can believe us. I don't care if you all just want to leave, but... this thing wants whoever 'Beatrix' is. As long as you guys are out of the way, my work's done. What you say you just leave and hand over whoever the chick is? You're only making it harder for all of us... Think about the poor guy, all he's going through."

"Don't you dare, you hypocrite!" the pink-haired Navi shouted, turning the corner and firing a few more shots at the Mafia Navis. "You all are the ones that did this to him!"

"You make me cry, girl," the voice responded, as a few more shots were fired to force the girl to duck for cover once again. "You self-righteous dogs, you honestly want to put it away like-"

"There's no more time to listen to this!" the round Netpolice Navi spoke to Pianissimo and Memoriam, instructing them to peer through a small hole in the wall with hand gestures. "This is what we're up against."

The creature looked like a NetMafia HeelNavi from the waist up, excluding a large metallic helmet that had been placed over its head with no eyeholes to speak of. Below its belt was a large, intimidating machine that appeared to move on tank treads, with two huge chainguns locked into the front. "BEATRIX, THEY TELL ME I CAN SEE YOU AGAIN... COME OUT AND LET ME SEE YOU AGAIN! BEATRIX!" it shouted, activating its chainguns in another torrent of fire. "ARE YOU LYING TO ME, YOU B-" it railed, swiping at the NetMafia Navis at its side before the fire grew to intense to watch any more.

"Whaddya say, greenies?" the Captain spoke up. "If you go out there, we'll be right behind ya. If you're here to help them out, though, go run out there now and fill yourselves full a' holes before I do it for ya," he threatened, cocking a large shotgun he held.

NETMAFIA
Machine (Torso): 200
Machine (Lower): 300
HeelNaviA (Speaker): 150
HeelNaviB: 100

NETPOLICE
NetpoliceA (Commander): 150
NetpoliceB (Female): 100
NetpoliceC (Non-human): 100

THIRD PARTY CANDIDATES
Pianissimo: 160
Memoriam: 210

HEAVEN OR HELL
DUEL 1
LET'S ROCK
"Hey, you." Memoriam addressed the other freelancer Navi with a distracted gesture at his face. "I bet I can take these losers down in under a minute, with your help. You wanna know how we'll do it? Listen up."

Kazuhiro rubbed his forehead, because it was now filled with crushing anxiety. Memoriam thought this was all a game-- no, that wasn't right. Kazuhiro had managed to program a Navi who, like his Operator, knew that the world wasn't a game, and didn't care. Kazu thought that he'd gotten over that sort of recklessness, but Memoriam was just learning it.

Do tell, he said, both worried and irritated. I'd like to hear this too.

Even as he spoke, a self-satisfied (if rather tense) grin spread across Memoriam's face. Even though what he had to say was analytical by nature, Memoriam's excitement was evident in his tone. "All right, you see how that thing's chainguns are locked in a forward position? Never mind; don't look." The last phrase was spoken hurriedly as Memoriam jerked his head back before it was removed by a burst of weapon fire.

"If we can take out the soft targets flanking it, we'll be able to exploit its blind spot. It'll be at our mercy. We're pinned down here for now, but just you wait."

Memoiram peeked around the corner of the wall, then quickly snapped his head back: one peek was enough. With a deep exhalation, he closed his eyes, and instead of what he had seen, he began to visualize what he desired to see... what he desired for the mechanical behemoth to see. What he desired to see was the NetMafia becoming agitated over something... something. They should shout to each other something along the lines of, "Dammit! We've got to terminate this thing, now!" And turn their weapons agains the robot, halting for a few seconds as they charged up, preparing to destroy their powerful ally for a reason known only to them. He wanted to see it, but more to the point, he wanted the robotic... thing to see that.

Now he knew what he wanted his enemies to see... what they would see. But his visions went further. He analyzed enemy durability, his own damage output, and his own actions in making the situation better. A red glow surrounded his hand as his sword slowly evaporated, leaving only his glowing hands.

Memoriam's wish for the Net started to become true as the seed of data from his mind was transferred to its aura, which then crept into the wall, and indeed the entire Netscape. With a sudden, explosive movement, he dove out from behind the wall, hoping that his little gamble had managed to divert the robot and its chainguns. He rolled, stopped in a crouching position, and fired a barrage of energy from his palms, aimed with careful precision at each of the enemies. Red. Red. Yellow. Yellow. Red. They sliced the air silently, aimed for the heart, or the mind, bringing enemies no closer to deletion, yet sealing their fate all the same. For all his reckless bravado, Memoriam knew that there was equal glory in a support role.

Even as he heard his Operator's noises of worry and displeasure, Memoriam turned to his allies and yelled, "Fire! Take them down while you can! Don't hold back a single thing!"

---------------

[Regen 20]
[One-hit barrier]
[Tactical Movement]

1. Charge Recklessness
2. Misdirection: Accuracy UP, Sacrifice 15, Illusion: The NetMafia goons yell to each other that they need to kill the large Navi in the center for some reason, and begin charging their weapons, trained on the robot's torso.
3. quickly fire Recklessness-- Berserk Machine Base 2 rounds, Torso 1 round
4. Brilliance: Self Slow, Blind HeelNaviA, HeelNaviB
"I happened to have jacked in here," Pianissimo said coldly, pushing the female's gun aside before the non-humanoid navi grabbed it.

Two of them and...something, Pianissimo thought, watching the netmafia's progress from behind the barricade. The two on the side seem rather weak. Memoriam's right. If we can just take them out... He poked his head around the barricade long enough to get a reading on the two heelnavis, then drew it back again. 100 HP each. They should go down fairly easily, then. It's just a matter of taking them out without getting taken out ourselves by those chainguns. It would be tricky, but Pianissimo figured he could manage.

"Like hell I'm going out there," he muttered to the netpolice commander. "If you want to run out and get mowed down before you even move five feet, be my guest. I, on the other hand, am not a complete idiot." He looked up at Memoriam, unsure of what he was doing but hoping it would have some effect. As for him, he would have to engage the enemy a bit more directly, but without exposing himself. And his backstab attacks would be better used for once there was a blind spot to exploit.

Pianissimo depressed the emblem on the back of his left hand and pointed to four chips. Woodtower, flameline, and both powerbolts. Hm...haven't used those two in a while...

"Interesting choices," Duke said, sending the chips. "Can't say I blame you, though. I wouldn't want to give them a clear shot either."

Still hiding behind the wall, Pianissimo planted both hands on the ground. A cluster of wooden spires erupted from the ground under the heelnavis. Smirking as he watched through a hole, he focused the flameline chip data into the ground as well. A wall of flames erupted on the other side, spanning the distance between the wooden spires and igniting them.

And now...for the finishing touch, he added in his mind, pulling his hands back up and slamming them into the ground again. Two columns of energy erupted around the heelnavis.

That should do it for now. Hopefully, it'll leave a decent blind spot for me to attack from.

He peeked out from behind the wall, then drew back and braced his hands against it. If the weapon fire started tearing through it, he hoped he could at least keep it from crumbling on them.

1. WoodTower Heelnavis - 100 wood each
2. Flameline Heelnavis, Machine Torso? - 70 fire each
3. Powerbolt HeelnaviA - 70
4. Powerbolt HeelnaviB - 70
5. Dodge/brace wall
"Blind spot? Take out? Are... are you two nuts?" the strong-jawed officer asked in disbelief, waving his gun. "We've been dancing around this thing since we first showed up! What makes you two think you can handle a job like this with some half-as-"

"Calm down, sir," the round Navi again chimed in. "We've got to be rational. That thing is... well, it knows more about us then it does them. Having them around to compose original strategies can only do us good. Let's not count them off as arrogant just yet." The Navi nodded to the two freelancers once again, turning back the remains of the wall. "Our lives may be in the hands of your strategies. That thing... it's nobody's Navi... not anymore. There's no choice for us now."

The female Navi bit her lip, mostly unnoticed by the others, but said nothing.

"YOUR DEFENSE WON'T LAST MUCH LONGER, QUICK, RUN!" the voice called out. "I'LL HOLD THEM OFF WHILE YOU ALL-" it continued to babble, until Memoriam began to put his strategy into motion. "T-TERMINATE?" it muttered in fear, glancing down at the two beside it and becoming rigid. "NO! NO NO NO! THIS IS THE FINAL STEP! I WENT THIS FAR, YOU CAN'T END IT NOW! I WON'T LET YOU..."

"Woah, what the hell?" one of the Navis shouted in a shrill voice, backing away. "I'm... I'm not sticking around for this thing to..."

"It's a person, not a thing," the other spoke in his dull voice as it continued to prepare its weapons. "And you should know he can't use his weapons to target NetMafia. It's a failsafe. But they've started their attack. On the offensive."

"RAAAGH, IF YOU'RE BACKING OUT ON ME, I'LL DO IT MYSELF," the creature roared, beginning to move forward at an alarming rate. "IDIOTS, IDIOTS! YOU THINK I'LL STAND BACK THERE? YOUR LITTLE SANDCASTLE WON'T... AUGH!" it let out an ear rending scream, as all three of the Navis burst into flames after moving forward slightly. "NO, NO, NO! YOU CRIMINALS CAN'T GET AWAY WITH THIS! I'M FREAKING CYBORGMAN.EXE! I'M AN ACE! THE UPCOMING STAR OF THE-" the creature was interrupted by the commander taking a potshot, sending his torso reeling back. "AAGH! IT HURTS! YOU SHOT ME SIR, FRIENDLY FIRE!"

"Don't listen to it, it's clearly mad! Keep up the offensive!" the round Navi shouted, throwing a Minibomb which connected with a thud against the metallic base.

"We're being kept on our toes, stay back," the dry voiced Navi shouted. "Hey? What are you telling them? What are you two hearing?" he called. "Do you like it? Aren't you... curious?" he began to laugh. "I wouldn't expect two like you to understand the problems of a guy like this..."

"OH, I SEE," the creature said more gently to the commander, "YOU'RE SETTING ME UP, AREN'T YOU? YOU AND ME, WE'RE PALS... YOU UNDERSTAND. YOU'RE GIVING ME A FRIENDLY SHOVE SO I CAN SHOW OFF IN FRONT OF BEATRIX, AREN'T YOU?"

The commander was unable to hide a bitter grimace that spread across his face, but he simply reloaded and kept staring forward.

"HERE, BEATRIX! SEE WHAT I DID TO MYSELF? I DID THIS TO MYSELF FOR MYSELF AND NOW I'M LAUNCHING IT AND IT'S MAKING ME MAD, MAD, MAD!" the creature raved, an intense red light forming around itself and its allies as the network of embedded circuitry in his helmet glowed a deep bronze. "YOU SEE?" he said pleadingly, extending his arms forward, "IT'S TO PROTECT! EVERYTHING I DO IS TO PROTECT!" The power had apparently created barriers around his allies and himself, but the energy surrounding the HeelNavis was immediately dissipated by bolts of energy rising from beneath them. The red energy of the mind-altering bolts Memoriam launched similarly dissipated around the machine until one hit the chainguns of the bottom, causing them to begin firing at an alarming rate. "AGH, AUUGH!! MY SYSTEMS, MY GUN, I CAN'T LOSE CONTROL, OF THEM NOW, NOT IN FRONT OF BEATRIX, NOT WHEN I DID ALL THIS TO MAINTAIN CONTROL!" In spite of the creature's stream of garbled crying, the machine guns whirred mercilessly, repeatedly nailed the position of the NetPolice, causing all three of them to be forced to duck for cover. The ground around the group was reduced to rubble, and the cover was reduced to a pathetic bunker.

"Hehe, they're cornered! Do I smell a turn-around? Easy pickings, mehehe!" the shrill-voiced Navi cried in delight, arming his sword and dashing in.

"I'm tired of playing with you, little boy. You think you're a freaking genius with your strategies, don't you? Well, I've seen too many freaking geniuses recently, and not one's done the world a bit of good or made my life an hour easier. If you want somebody to pat you on the back and tell you you're a good boy," he shouted, releasing a torrent from the minigun he'd been preparing that nailed Memoriam from the front, first removing his shield and then peppering the defenseless Navi, "then run home to your mamma!"

"I've got it now, here I go!!" the shrill Navi cried, jumping over the barricade. "Are you the one we want, huh? I'll take you on a skewer and deliver you myself!" he called, puncturing through the female Navi and impaling her on the end of his sword. "Mehehe, you're coming with me!" he shouted, holding onto the barricade. Just then, the Navi clutched at his eyes, losing his balance and falling back off of the wall. "Agh, son of a... what'd you do to me, kid?" he cried out, clutching at his eyes. The female Navi took that time to painfully remove herself from his arm and perch on the wall.

"Damn you!" the other shouted, flailing momentarily and trying to focus on the five.

The machine guns whirred to a stop as the machine seemed to cease movement entirely. "B-BEATRIX..." it called out, its voice growing almost to a whisper as it stood frozen. "YOU'RE HURT... THERE'S A GASH... YOU REPORT BACK TO HEADQUARTERS, D-DON'T WORRY... I'LL CLEAN UP THE MESS HERE.... I'LL DO THE FILING WHEN I GET BACK, ALL THE PAPERWORK... JUST... JUST LEAVE, WON'T YOU? LEAVE THIS TO ME, I'LL... IT WON'T BE ANY TROUBLE FOR ME, I'VE GOT ALL THIS..."

"Cyborgman..." the Navi muttered, staring forward. "I..."

"ARE THEY MAKING YOU STAY HERE?" the Navi spoke softly but more sternly as it focused behind the girl. "THOSE TWO, I HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE... ARE THEY... YOU'RE MAKING NEW FRIENDS, AREN'T YOU?" he muttered quietly, his voice reduced to a whimper. "TH-THAT'S NICE... I SEE YOU'RE..." his voice began to rise, "DOING WELL NOW, GETTING ALONG FINE NOW. YOU'RE MOVING ON, MOVING ON WITH YOUR WHOLE FUTURE AHEAD OF YOU, MAKING NEW FRIENDS NOW AND CONTINUING YOUR FIGHT FOR THE INNOCENT AND I-" it stopped in shock, its guns beginning to whir slowly.

"Tch," the Navi he'd referred to as Beatrix remarked, aiming her gun. She released a shot, which resounded off of the machine's metal frame and left a dent, stopping its guns' motion immediately.

"B-B... B-B..." the machine babbled, seeming to have entered a state of shock so strong it stopped moving entirely.

"What are you all waiting for? We can't sit around and listen to this, we've got to act now while it's distracted!" the round Navi spoke. "Charge it!"

NETMAFIA
Machine (Torso): 130
Machine (Lower): 160
HeelNaviA (Dry): 80 (BLIND)
HeelNaviB (Shrill) 30 (BLIND)

NETPOLICE
NetpoliceB (Beatrix): 20
NetpoliceC (Non-human): 100

VOLUNTEERS
Memoriam: 175

Terrain: 50% Cracked, surrounding NetPolice, Volunteers, and HeelNaviB
The sudden spike of damage to his system forced Memoriam into what could be described as either a blind rage, or a intense combat-trance. He spoke in bursts, in between grunts of effort and bursts of rapid movement. As soon as the first bullet stripped away his defenses, he started thinking frantically, yet methodically about how he could save himself, and found nothing before he was pounded by bullets. Before he could even shout out in pain, Memoriam's combat instincts kicked in.

Navis, of course, do not have interior monologues. Navis with lifelike emotional capacity, although they "feel" emotion much like humans, often make a conscious decision as to what emotion they present to their human Operators. A Navi uses human speech for the benefit of humans, and in fact most are hard-wired (essentially forced) to communicate verbally. However, a Navi's thoughts are more closely linked to a matrix of constants and variables than the laws of human language.

However, had Memoriam's thoughts been expressed as an interior monologue, it would have been a rapidly (internally) spoken monologue indeed.

Kazu's panicked, "thought" Memoriam, simultaneously searching for a way to save himself. His attention was suddenly divided by an influx of chip data. Good, he's thinking fast, he thought, even as he was pounded by bullets. I can't let myself be distracted, I've gotta make these chips count!

In the few milliseconds before his Areagrab chip did its work and dragged him through Net-space to a location just behind the mechanical monster, Memoriam considered his strategy and mentally prepared his chips for rapid use. Kazu sent me Energybombs. Good; the others can attack the soft targets while I use them on the big one. Let's see about my--

That was all the time that Memoriam had to think; his thoughts picked back up at the moment of his exit from the AreaGrab teleport maneuver. --teammates. They haven't been chewed up by the guns yet, but that one needs help-- I just hope that my aura can protect her while that other freelancer and her teammates clean up the threat--

"The torso's not packing heat! Take out those treads and immobilize it!" He shouted at the top of his 'lungs,' while summoning the power of the first of his prepared BattleChips and thrusting part of his aura through space, to act as a shield for the one who was apparently called Beatrix. The other part would stay with him. He needed it.

His 'monologue' continued to plug away at the situation, constantly creating and discarding strategies, until a threshold was passed and it would no longer be practical to waste another millisecond on thinking when he should be steadying his aim. At the very last second, he realized what to do: They won't be expecting me to attack them from back here! I can take them all right now!

Then the millisecond-threshold was passed, and Memoriam dropped the chip weapon forming in his hand, only to immediately whirl and kick it at the machine's base with brutal force. The momentum from the kick saw Memoriam facing away from the action, but not for more than a few more milliseconds-- enough time for him to plan ahead. I'll blast myself into the air with the aura's power, but then I've got to alter my flight path immediately. I'll try to finish it with my sword as I whip by, but mostly I've got to exploit the chance to nail those two Navis! I'll rebound off of the building so that I can hit in a single line through both of them. They won't even know what hit them...

Then Memoriam launched himself backwards, rapidly corkscrew-spinning in the air with his blade held at arm's length, trying to cut the machine base as he passed. Before he crashed into a wall near his teammates, Memoriam tucked his legs in and rotated in the air, absorbing the impact with his legs and then springing off again at alarming speed. This time, his aim was not incidental. With a rock-steady hand and a hunter's eye, he flashed through the air, trying to cut both enemies down in one fell swoop.

Memoriam had left one thing out of his plans, though, and he had plenty of time to raise his arms and cover his head, and try to minimize the coming impact, as he saw the ground rapidly approaching his face.

[One-hit barrier for Beatrix]
[Regen 20]
[Tactical Movement]

1. Areagrab behind the cyborg
2/3/4. Tactical Movement, Gust, Coercion [Self Slow, Microburst x3], Energybomb [40x3] Machine Base, ElecSword [80] Machine Base, HeelNaviA, B

2/3/4 details:
Energybomb [40x3] Microbursted at Cyborg Base
Self Microburst, Gust to alter flight path to be more level.
ElecSword [80] Machine Base (second priority)
Tactical Movement used to rebound off a building with final Microburst
ElecSword [80] HeelNaviA, B (first priority)

[And yes, PA approved my Subtype change to Wind.]
"Charge it? You must be..." Pianissimo started, poking his head out of the bunker to acquire data on his targets, then drawing his head back in.

Both heelnavis are still alive, though heavily damaged. They're blinded, which means I can attack them from any side. That...thing...Cyborgman, it called itself. The blind spot is still present, and now exposed. I should make that my first priority. If I'm lucky, I can take the whole thing out in three hits. He stood up as he felt Memoriam leave the 'safety' of the bunker. He couldn't make out all of the other's actions, but he could see that he had let loose on the machine's base.

That made things easier.

The lull in the battle that had occurred when the chainguns stopped had given the assassin a chance to think about the situation itself, not just the battle. Such was a rarity, and even when presented, Pianissimo had almost never taken the opportunity.

The machine had had some sort of connection with the one known as Beatrix. Romantic? He had no way of knowing. Complete lack of experience did that sometimes. Still, they had known each other, and they had been close. The monstrous machine was once a navi by the name of Cyborgman.

Now, that closeness had been shattered. Yet still, the monstrosity that this Cyborgman had become still retained some shred of its former self. To almost anyone else, this would throw a shred of tentativity into the minds of anyone trying to fight it. A typical mafia tactic, he supposed. The hesitation wasn't present in his own mind, though. Only curiosity, at what could have happened.

If Duke could analyze the strange thought processes of navis, he would be intrigued at how Pianissimo had developed. For now, however, all he could do was assist him in the actual battle.

Pianissimo slid one foot back about two shoulder-widths behind him. Memoriam had cleared the blind spot of the machine. He had attempted to strike the base of the machine, but Pianissimo was unable to tell whether it had hit. Guess I'll have to add my own strike to that, he thought. He didn't bother requesting chips. He wouldn't need them. Not this time. He ducked back into the makeshift bunker, seeming to sink deeper and deeper into the shadows of it, until he was gone completely. The shadows rippled where he was seconds before, then were still.

Rising out of the shadows behind the machine itself, Pianissimo wasted no time drawing his katana and swinging at the base in a rising slash. He flipped through the air as his body rematerialized, reactivating the scanners in his eyepieces. They centered on one point on the torso for a second, near where it connected with the base. He hoped, as he skidded to a halt on the ground behind it, that that was some sort of weak point.

Focusing on that point, Pianissimo lunged forward once more, thrusting his katana at it. The action lasted barely a second before he pulled back again, moving away and falling into a crouch.

1. Cloak and Dagger - Teleport behind machine, 90 to base
2. Dodge
3. Silencer - 140 to head
4. Dodge
5. Dodge
"I can't see anything," the dry-voiced NetMafia growled, "but I can smell a dirty chimpanzee when he runs past me! What the hell are you up to, you punk?!"

"No good, no good!" the other screeched, clutching its eyes. "Monster, you're the one with the freaking computer for a head! Think for yourself! Save us!"

"BEATRIX!" the machine raged, a couple of jets beneath it carrying it just slightly off of the ground but acclerating at a rapid rate. "THERE ARE PEOPLE CONTROLLING YOU, MAKING YOU DO THESE EVIL THINGS! THE ONLY CHOICE I HAVE NOW, THE ONLY CHOICE I HAVE LEFT, IS TO UPHOLD THE LAW BY DELETING EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU! I'M SORRY, BEATRIX... SOMETIMES JUSTICE ISN'T FAIR..." his voice grew to a sob. Suddenly, however, his ascent was broken as an energy bomb burst beneath it. Each burst interrupted the jet flow of the booster beneath the base until one finally hit, disabling the machine and bringing it crashing back down. "UWAAAGH! YOU CRIMINAL!" the half-human moaned, waving his arms wildly. "I'LL LOCK ONTO YOU IN JUST A SECOND! IT'S MY SPECIALTY... AHA!" it cried, turning its guns to face the flying Navi. "YOU PRACTICALLY MOVE AT A CRAWL WITH THE AID MY TARGETING TECHNOLOGY! SO SLOW... DO YOU THINK YOU CAN HIT ME WITH THAT?! TARGET LOCKED! DO YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE IT TO ME WHILE EATING FIRE FROM BOTH GUNS AT ONCE?!"

"No, Cyborg!" the dry-voiced Navi rasped. "Tell us where they are! Get your head together! If you act as our eyes, we'll target them-" The Navi was too late to have any impact on the events, though.

The guns began whirring as if in slow motion as Memoriam moved in with his sword. It wasn't hard to picture what would happen: soon, the earth-rending force of the chainguns would be on the Navi full force. Even if his sword managed to lodge itself in the machine's base, it would be a self-sacrifice.

A quick zing running through the air stopped the guns in their tracks.

"COMMANDEEEER!!!" the machine roared, pounding his arms against the base. "FRIENDLY FIRE, FRIENDLY FIRE! AT A TIME LIKE THIS!" Steam poured from beneath the crushed machine's base as it attempted to move, its damaged parts unable to offer any assistance. "I HAD HIM IN MY SIGHTS! HAHA, THIS WILL MAKE A FUNNY STORY! YOU'RE BUYING ME A COFFEE WHEN WE-"

The dry-voiced Navi had found some way to guide himself with the words. "I may not be able to hit you, but I won't let you guys win!" The Mafia Navi had taken advantage of Memoriam's slow approach to bumble his way mostly unnoticed between the two and place a rockcube behind himself. "Justice? This is the side of freaking justice? Well, let's us renegades make our final stand here then! If you think this is so freaking funny, Doctor, maybe you ought to join us over here! Fall in this pit you created, you bas-" the Navi was cut off as the elecsword pinned him to the rockcube behind, leaving the sword lodged within it.

"We've lost, lost, lost! It was too risky, I told you from the start!" the remaining Mafia raved madly! "And you're going to get away with it? You think I'll let you?! Doctor, Doctor, come out with it! Admit that you're the one responsible for this mons- urkh!" he trailed off, falling to the ground from a gunshot.

"The final one..." the round NetPolice Navi said, lowering his gunarm. "You've got him, right freelancer?" he said in a calm tone. "Finish them off now!"

"THE FINAL... I'M ALONE!" the machine groaned, clutching his head. "I CAN'T DO ANYTHING... HEH, I'M NOT MUCH OF AN OFFICER NOW, AM I, BEATRIX?" he whined, his voice growing a bit softer. "ALL THESE PARTS, AND NOW HERE I AM WAITING FOR SHIELDS TO RECHARGE. AND BY NOW, YOUR FRIEND-"

As if on cue, his entire below-the-belt tank fell to pieces as Pianissimo's strike landed, sending his torso falling forward onto the rockcube.

"WEll... ConGRATulatIONS... You'RE THE Hero... for TODay..." the defeated Navi muttered, glancing down at Memoriam from his higher ground. His expression was still hidden by the enormous helmet, but his monstrous voice was regaining a tone of normality. "You BOth... fought for JUSticE... nOW, FINiSh mE Off, It's aLL that CAN be donE... TheY caN'T RePROGraM me, oR REpaIR... too MUCH staTIC... inSERTed... nEvER... FinISH..."

Whether Pianissimo was going to deliver the final strike or not to the helpless half-Navi became a moot point as he was suddenly surrounded by a dense red bubble. "Hold it, hold it!" the round Navi called. "Sorry, but the fight's over. We appreciate your work," he told the two. "I think if we get CyborgMan back to the base, my medical team should be able to restore him to his original self. As long as this much of him survives, repairing him should be the work of... hmm, a week perhaps."

"But..." Beatrix said, breaking away temporarily from the commander who had apparently been comforting her after CyborgMan seemed so close to death. "But I thought he said... and Doctor, what were they saying about...?"

"I know you're confused, so just stay calm for now..." the round-bodied doctor said in his calm tone once again. "It's probably hard for you to understand what's going on, and you may think you heard things you didn't. If that's the case, just wait and rest for now. We're all going to be leaving, and your friend will be all back up in no time." Now," he said, turning to the two freelancers, "thanks for fighting on the side of justice and protecting us as well as the rest of the Net. Wait here and I can even call in a squad to help you guys with the rest. Sound good?"

NETMAFIA
Machine (Torso): CAPTURED
Machine (Lower): DELETED
HeelNaviA (Dry): DELETED
HeelNaviB (Shrill): DELETED

NETPOLICE
NetpoliceB (Beatrix): 20 (1 hit barrier)
NetpoliceC (Doctor): 100

VOLUNTEERS
Memoriam: 195 (Elecsword stuck! Can be deactivated)

Terrain: 50% Cracked, surrounding NetPolice

VICTORY!

REWARDS:

Pianissimo: 700z, Barrier
Memoriam: 800z, Vulcan 2
"Sounds perfect."

Memoriam said this from the ground, exhausted and too busy trying to repair himself to do anything but think in his rough famiscile of an inner monolouge. When he finally picked himself up again and stood on both feet-- actually a mere few seconds, but a long time by the standards of Memoriam's electronic brain-- he had a few questions to ask.

"You know," he said to the round Navi, "Beatrix is right. He did say something about being beyond repair. Do you think he was overreacting?"

He wouldn't tell, but secretly he was congratulating himself for the success of his immobilization gambit.
Pianissimo sighed, removing his blade from the red bubble and sheathing it. "So...what happens if you can't?" he asked, though in reality he didn't really care about the answer. If it attacked again, he would simply finish the job. Though it had been a moot point, he hadn't hesitated just now. Nor would he do so in the future.

The navi thanked him and Memoriam, but he only partially listened. Justice? There is no justice. I fought on your side to oppose the Netmafia...and I'm not stupid enough to engage everyone at once. That is all, he thought, glaring at him.

Nonetheless, he nodded in agreement with the idea of sending another squad.
[long overdue bump]
In a short moment's time, the doctor had paged through, presumably sending someone coordinates. "The task force will be here shortly. Thank you two for your cooperation. Come along now, friends," the Navi motioned to the other two of the NetPolice, heading off with the parcel containing CyborgMan in tow. "There's a safe zone nearby, defended by the NetPolice. I'll take these folks there. Keep strong, you two." The doctor gave a strange smile and headed on his way.

Everything was quiet for a moment. Was it a good sign or a bad one that the areas around the two seemed strangely quiet? Before the two could consider seeking out a new location, however, they became aware of a large Navi and a group of followers heading towards them. The leader, clearly distinguished from his train of followers, was a huge Navi in bright red-orange armor. Large horns protruded from the top of the helmet, and long red hair hung from the back. An intimidating facemask bearing a design of an open demonic mouth covered the lower half of his mouth. His eyes, fixed and white, were hardly visible under his helmet. The armor was decorated almost from head to foot in ornamental crosses. At the shoulders was a thick mantle, and across the front of the waist hung a large cloth. Beneath his armor was a dark undersuit, clinging to his masculine frame. His right arm held an enormous sword, nearly as great as his own height; his left, meanwhile, ended in a buster appendage and was heavily braced at the forearm. The Netpolice emblem was prominent on his chest.

"Ho! Stand back!" he shouted to his train, moving his sword ahead of him. The blade immediately ignited, sending embers scattering off of the brilliant surface. "Demons, villains! Stand your ground with weapons at ease or prepare to be slain!"

"Sir, they aren't showing any immediate signs of resistance," a female officer in standard heavy white armor commented. Her features, like all those of the train, were obscured almost entirely by the bulky suits they wore. Her voice was the only factor that distinguished her as a female. "Could it be these two are not of the NetMafia?"

"Rest assured," the heated Navi spoke as he held his stance, "These two have the taint of evil upon them. My sense has never failed me before. And yet-" he said, dropping his guard, "I sense that they are not altogether demons. Perhaps... merely possessed? Yes, you," he ventured, letting his sword fall to his side, "the young one. What I sense in you is like a ghost... something that is looming over you. It is merely the whisper of the devil... he has no hold on you yet. Yes, you are righteous in virtues as of now. And you..." he commented, turning more uneasily to Pianissimo, "merely by your countenance, I took you to be a demon. The air you have around you... you are more like the shadow than the darkness. I sense, though, that you have reservations about submitting yourself to the light. But the time to choose will soon be upon you... both of you. You must be ready."

The rest of the Navi's train didn't seem to find his rambling upon meeting potential enemies particularly out of place. Apparently, this sort of gesture was commonplace for him.

"You'll excuse me, comrades," the Navi apologized, plunging his sword into the earth and extending his hand. "I am called ZealotMan. It is my sworn duty as of this time to rid this space of the foul offenders that are so often plagues upon friendly society. I would that I might introduce my subordinates in good time, but I fear now is not the proper occasion. We have a great deal to do, and little time to spare."

As ZealotMan talked, Pianissimo and Memoriam happened to notice the defensive stance the armored troops constantly took around him. Could the huge Navi not take care of himself? In any case, they abided his long-winded conversation.

"The hour is short, and the time for action grows ni-Aai!" the Navi cried, clutching his shoulder as a data flew from it in sharp chunks.

The sound of a revolver lit through the air, as all eyes turned to rest on who had fired.

"NetPolice... and if I'm not mistaken, you're ZealotMan?" a cool-toned feminine voice came from the direction. A Navi was suspended in the air, in a posture as though the only suspended part was the torso. The other limbs hung casually. The Navi was wrapped in a green coat, with a wide brimmed hat tilted over her eyes. The coat was buttoned to the point where little of her figure was possible to distinguish. The only other features of her determinable were the flowing black hair behind her head and the smoking revolver held in her right hand.

Unless Kazu's memory of his Navi had gotten very fuzzy, however, the smaller details were all off. The coat was larger, the hair a different shade, even the tone of the voice sounded entirely foreign.

"Congratulations. I can tell you know who I am," the Navi said with a chiding tone.

"It's... it's inconceivable! The same Navi that took down six of our operative forces so far? And yet you always leave one left," ZealotMan growled in spite, "to return and tell the tale. The fugitive Rogue... Kris is your name!"

"That's right," the Navi admitted, tilting the hat enough to reveal a small grin on her face. "I'm enforcing the NetMafia's hold here. Now, all of you sit still, and we'll see which of you gets to be the one that returns home with his tail between his legs."

"The evil aura coming from this one is immense!" ZealotMan muttered, turning to the two that had just arrived. "And yet... something is amiss. I sense many, a multitude of evil presences in the area. I can distinguish them... below her, their feet planted on the ground, three in total yet somehow invisible to the naked eye. And how did she possibly scathe me as my guards kept watch? She materialized from the vapors. Hold fast, friends, foul festivity is afoot."

"Don't trouble yourself with preparing a defense," the floating Navi called down. "In 2 minutes, I expect you'll all have come to an end."

NETMAFIA
Kris(?) : 300
EvilPresenceA: ???
EvilPresenceB: ???
EvilPresenceC: ???

NETPOLICE
ZealotMan: 200 (stun)
ArmorTroopA: 100
ArmorTroopB: 100
ArmorTroopC: 100
ArmorTroopD: 100

VOLUNTEERS
Memoriam: 195

Terrain: 50% Cracked, beneath Kris

BATTLE ROUTINE SET
EXECUTE
Kazu didn't know what he was doing. Before he could think about it, he opened his viewscreen and squared off against the Mafia Navi.

"You've changed, To- ...You've changed." Kazu's face looked like it didn't know what to think. Anger, sadness, or something else entirely? What was he supposed to say? "I'm sorry that we had to meet this way..." Only half aware that the entire contents of the battleground could see him, he shook his head slowly. "I'm sorry, but I can't do it all over again," he said, almost angrily, as if Kris had challenged him, when really he had not even given her time to reply. "I have a family now, a life. And I didn't mean for my Navi to be a... a warrior. I'm sorry." He couldn't bring himself to say, goodbye.

Memoriam's brain was working overtime. Interpreting Kazu's speech, reading his emotions, and evaluating the lay of the battlefield took his total concentration. "We'll talk about what my Operator just said at a later time," he said, the tension evident in his voice, as if he could barely spare the brain-space required to talk. "Now, ZealotMan, you must tell us how you are able to see enemies that we cannot, and you must give us tactical information. Use some of my energy; you'll need it."

Some of the aura broke away and merged with the space around ZealotMan as Memoriam's mind started to block out everything except the battle. He saw no useful cover, could not risk an attack, and knew nothing of his enemy. His muscles tensed and his mind blanked. ZealotMan's orders would need to be followed in an instant...

[One-hit barrier for ZealotMan]
[Regen 20]
[Tactical Movement]

1: Dodge
2: Dodge
3: Assistance [Heat Sink ZealotMan]
4: Do whatever ZealotMan orders
"Shadow? Darkness?" Pianissimo repeated, looking up at the netpolice navi that mistook him for an enemy. "They are one and the same. And I submit myself to nothing," he said coldly. Merely from the tone, the language the man used, the assassin immediately disliked him. Submit himself to the light? What did that mean, join the netpolice and fight for their vision of justice? Hell no. He was Pianissimo, and he fought for whatever he felt like fighting for. And "demon"? Merely a term used by those who could not comprehend power. There were no true demons.

He remained silent as the navi introduced himself. ZealotMan. How fitting, he thought coldly. The defensive nature of his escort, moreover, gave off the impression that the navi was all talk. First impression...I'm going to have to do things my way, Pianissimo thought. His thoughts, however, were interrupted by the gunshot and the projectile that struck the loud navi's shoulder.

In a split second, Pianissimo was in a fighting stance, weapon drawn. He glared at the female mafiosi that had attacked them, undaunted. "Well well...isn't this interesting?" he said. His tone was dark and barely audible, but sounded almost amused. "Kris, huh? I heard about you...Duke told a few stories about Kazu's old navi...I'm kind of curious how you've managed to fall this far..."

He smirked. "Though, I suppose that'll have to wait until this is over...if you survive." The amusement left his voice as he turned towards Memoriam and Kazu's viewscreen. "Do what you need to. But if you get in my way..." he focused on Memoriam, "I won't hesitate to kill you as well." An empty viewscreen opened next to Pianissimo. The navi merely nodded, and the viewscreen vanished. Pianissimo's navi emblem blinked, and what appeared to be a dark blue wrapping of light spread from it, enveloping his armor. "I'll give you a minute."

He waited as Kazu spoke to Kris, and Memoriam to ZealotMan. It'll be a bit easier than I thought, then, he thought, narrowing his eyes. But three others...I can't detect them at all. It's probably better to just wait and see what happens...and try to avoid getting hit. He shifted one leg, ready to move if attacks started flying.

1. Barrier
2-5. Prepped Dodge