Rania, Suien, and Marlow Enter the Arena

"M-MeleeMan, you've got entirely the wrong idea!" Rania tried to explain in a whispery voice during the train ride. "I was embarassed because you were fighting like an idiot!"

"Or was it just because you can't take your eyes off of my amazing muscles? You can admit it, there's no shame. Many of your actions are shameful and weak, but there is no shame in anyone admitting they admire my physique," MeleeMan responded, nodding with self-confidence. Now that he was sure he had Rania in his own mind, he was able to drop a lot of the formality he'd started to form. He was actually regressing into more of a jerk now.

"Really, please?" she begged, not sure of what else to do. "It's a lot easier for me to punish you than for you to hurt me, I'll remind you."

"Ha ha ha! You, hurt me? That's a good one," MeleeMan snickered, crossing his arms. "Well, at any rate, I'll try to shut up about it when I'm fighting. I'm not so crude as to get distracted by lovesick little girls while I'm fighting."

"Little girls? You're not even a year old yet!" she growled, smacking the PET into a pole as she walked off the metroline. Looking over at Suien embarassedly, she cleared her throat and regained her composition. "Now Suien, I have something to tell you before we go into the event. You see, MeleeMan's injuries... seem to be affecting his personality a bit... so just ignore anything he tries to tell you! Okay?" she asked, bowing and raising her hands to her head in an odd showing of respect.

"Bwahaha! Look at you, begging like that!" MeleeMan guffawed, slapping his knee.

"He's right... He's trying to make a fool out of me and it's working flawlessly! What if my new ally thinks I'm a fool too before I even get a chance to meet him?" she worried, clasping her hands to her face and panicking.

"You've really lost it, Rania. Whatever it is, let's pray you get it back quickly. You're beginning to embarass me in front of Rass," he sighed.

"EMBARASS YOU?!" she shouted, slamming her PET against a wall repeatedly and sniffling. "Where did I go wrong when I made your navi design."

"You set your own bar too high, Rania," MeleeMan laughed. "Nobody can hope to be exactly like me, not even Rass here, although his efforts are quite commendable."

"Huh?" Rania asked, a bit confused. "Don't you ever wish you where more like Rass? More helpful, likeable, able to aid your allies through healing, etc.? Not to mention a whole lot cuter of a design..."

"Cute? Ha ha ha!" MeleeMan laughed, slapping his knees once again. "Rass and I are anything but cute! We're men! Get it through your head, sissy!"

((Waiting for Sky and Zal.))
Suien entered with his PET microphone close to his face. Watching the red-haired netOp through the corner of his eye, he fingered his chip folder nervously. "So Rass," he whispered, "You know how MeleeMan and Rania are... well... you know? I was wondering if you had any ideas as to how to make them more... well, more accepting of each other. I think that Rania in particular seems to harbor a great deal of passion and emotion for MeleeMan, but that's being turned into anger by some breach in communication. What do you think?"

"How should I know?" was the pink navi's high-pitched reply, "I thought that sh-she would talk to you about her g-guy problems." Rass folded his arms across his chest and looked up at Suien through the top PET screen. "I-I-I m-mean, it's n-not like I have m-much experience in this s-sort of thing. M-Most girl navis I t-talk to tend t-to think I'm j-just a girly-looking weakling."

That's because you ARE a girly-looking weakling, Rass, interrupted Tem, appearing in a patch of blue on Rass' left shoulder, Honestly, Suien, any guy should know that the best way to get a girl is to be compassionate, submissive, and shower her with gifts.

Tem, what the hell are you talking about? interrupted Argo, Everyone knows that girls want to be dominated! I say that he just keep on...

ISHAMEL DISAGREES! shouted Ishamel, swirling into a pool of red on Rass' chest, MELEEMAN WOULD NOT BE AN APPROPRIATE COMPANION FOR RANIA! ISHAMEL SUGGESTS THAT OPERATOR UNIT SUIEN MATSUMOTO STEP UP AND ENGAGE HIS ROMANCE ROUTINES! FURTHERMORE...

Ishamel didn't get to finish his sentence as Suien blushed and hastily shoved his PET into his coat pocket as Rania approached him.

Quote ()

"Now Suien, I have something to tell you before we go into the event. You see, MeleeMan's injuries... seem to be affecting his personality a bit... so just ignore anything he tries to tell you! Okay?" she asked, bowing and raising her hands to her hand in an odd showing of respect.

"Uh... okay," replied Suien quickly, awkwardly returning the gesture, "I'll keep that in mind."

-*-

Oh, you're so old fashioned Ishamel. Get with the program. said Tem, It is perfectly appropriate for a girl at her age to fall in love with her NetNavi, despite the fact that certain... operations... are unfeasable, but I heard that in Electown, they have these places where you can actually use holographic projection units that simulate the opposite gender's...

TEM IS MISSING THE POINT! ISHAMEL SUGGESTS THAT MELEEMAN'S TEMPERMENT IS SIMPLY INCOMPATIBLE WITH OPERATOR UNIT RANIA'S CONFIGURATION. FURTHERMORE, AN ANALYSIS OF OPERATOR UNIT SUIEN'S PERSONALITY MATRIX SUGGESTS THAT HE IS INTERESTED IN, QUOTE POP CULTURE PHRASE: "HITTING THAT," ENDQUOTE. interrupted Ishamel, FURTHERMORE, ENGAGING IN SEXUAL ACTIVITY WITH MELEEMAN WOULD CARRY A HIGH RISK OF PERMANENT INJURY DUE TO....

Well *I* wouldn't mind having a go at his soulful....

"Do you two MIND?!" shrieked Rass, horrified at the current conversation, "Just because you like thinking about that kind of thing doesn't mean you can just... just... make ME think about it!"
((I have to say Sky, that post was exceptionally manly on a comedic level. XD))

Look at you... just an old man with too much time on his hands.

He entered the Colosseum building in silent step, bearing a dour expression. Unshaved and unpleased; about as happy as an ex-communicated bishop. Needing a drink-- needing a case. Trenchcoat flapped behind him to complete the picture; the laconic detective. The cynic. The disillusioned one, not giving a damn.

But he did give a damn.

Get with the program-- there's a pale body somewhere out there that needs his maker cuffed and wearing stripes. Maybe some crazy eyed bastard toting a boner and a butcher knife looking to have some fun in the alley....Get a grip.

That dirt feeling accumulated in the bottom of Marlowe's gut, but he could taste it on his lips-- the semblance of conscience, weighing on him to make something of it. He grit his teeth at the notion of appeasing his boredom at the expense of the lonely damned. But he was caseless, and with half a pack of smokes. Useless.

Just an old bastard with too much time on his hands... might as well be watching curling, old man.

Instinctively, he reached for his coat pocket-- the same coat pocket. Routine. A cooly, menthol-- what he needed. Just a flick; a light. Then that dirt taste, like the hooded bastard giving him the finger but being nice about it.

Throw it away... throw it out old man. Doctor's been telling you to ditch the smokes... throw it out.

Shaking his head with a dour wince, he stamped out his nemesis, only to have his craving inspired again. He replaced it with a toothpick in the corner of his lips-- a cheap imitation, but it made a hell of a chew.

"...Maybe you should make the damn investment in a cane instead of the smokes," Triggerman shot brutally.

I ain't needing a cane... I need a life.

"...Remind me why we're here, will you?" the slinger questioned gravelly. "Helping out with the research of a few assholes in labcoats for shits and giggles? Is that really how low we've sunken, old man?"

"...shut up already." I could get used to this... Marlowe thought as he chewed the sorry splinter between his teeth.
Rania took Suien's bow as a sign that maybe things were going okay, sighing with relief. "Hey, um... that man over there that just stepped off the metroline... is he our partner?" she asked, raising one eyebrow. "Now that I think about it, I have no idea what our final ally is supposed to look like.

Rania was interrupted by a loud sneeze from his PET, followed by equally boisterous sniffling. "Uh, my bad," MeleeMan muttered, wiping his nose. "It feels like there's a whole cluster of people talking about me somewhere, like, three to five."

Rania raised her eyebrow once more in confusion, then turned back to the new operator, trying her best not to look affected by recent events. "It's okay, everything's okay. He hasn't even met MeleeMan yet. If I just make a good impression, be friendly, concise, and accomodating... then he'll like me from the start and it won't even matter when he finds out that MeleeMan's a-"

"Crippled old beardo? Gwah ha ha ha!" MeleeMan guffawed, seeing the man that Rania was headed over to meet. "What, the guy just forgot how to dress himself, shave, and lay off the whiskey before a netbattle all at the same time? Pfft!"

Rania's jaw dropped once again as she tightened her grip on the PET. "Stay calm, stay calm. The volume's too low on the PET! There's no way he heard that over the crowd. I'll just keep approaching slowly and-"

"Buy that guy a walker! Hey Rania! Do your civic duty and buy Crotchety over there a cane!" MeleeMan snickered, still laughing uncontrollably.

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MELEEMAN! DO YOU NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RESPECTING YOUR ELDERS, OR PEERS, OR ANYONE FOR THAT MATTER!?" Rania shouted, dropping her PET on the ground. In a moment of rashness, she got a running start, then fell and elbow-dropped her PET.

"Mother of-!" MeleeMan started as he saw Rania's elbow hit on the interface. "H-Hey! Don't crush that! These things are durable, but if it breaks, I won't be able to get connected with you any more!" he stammered, waving his hands. "I'm sorry Rass, she's just completely brash and irresponsible sometimes. You'll have to forgive her."

"I'm not putting up with any more of this," she muttered, holding a hand to her head as she felt a large headache forming. She looked to Suien and the new guy, holding her hand up to wave and trying to look cheery, despite her tired slouch. "Come on, guys, or we'll be late for the event," she called out, turning and dragging her feet as she headed toward a jack-in port.

MeleeMan sneezed again, rubbing his nose and frowning. "Yeah, there's definitely a woman somewhere that wants it. That's the only way I could be getting a sneeze like this. ACHOO!" he roared, leaning over to avoid spraying Rass. Before he could wipe his nose, however, he was forcefully spat onto the net.

((Jacking in for event.))
((Leaving for Electown))