Familiar Faces

Bright. Too bright. Quickly thrusting his hand into the chest of drawers next to his bed, he pulled out a set of shades and quickly jammed them on.

Jeez. Thanks. he cursed at the sun in thought as he rose out of bed. Walking out of his room, he moved towards the kitchen, hoping he hadn't finished off the last of the milk. As he walked in, a small package was waiting for him on the table. Instantly he silently threw himself out of sight into the neighbouring doorway.

Time passed, and he slowly snuck out towards the object in question and snatched it away, moving slowly back to his room. Locking the door behind him, he placed the parcel on his desk, and grabbed a small dagger from the same drawer as his glasses. Slowly piercing the sides, he carefully removed the contents; a small, black PET.

Well this doesn't make sense... he wondered as he turned on his PC and connected the PET wirelessly. Activating the security firewall, he opened up the software inside to find a lone navi, waiting for activation. Oh my. he pondered out loud as he recognized the character on his screen. No... Re...Recon? he stammered quietly as he opened the firewall and ejected the navi onto the net...

[TO ACDC...]
>>> Back from ACDC Net: Welcome Back, Recon >>>

As Recon reappeared in his new(?) home, Steve was rummaging around the apartment looking for decent outside clothes.

What are you doing? he asked, curious as to what was going on.

Dressing, Steve grunted while holding shoes in one hand, jeans in the other, and socks in his mouth. (Wait, what...)

Dressing for what? Recon asked again.

Geez, enough of your voice, he muttered as he threw down all the clothes and effortlessly moved his fingers over a series of buttons on the PET, forcing Steve into recovery hiberation. Get to healing already, he slurred as he began the rummaging again.

----------

Steve didn't usually go out during the day anymore. After all, not many pubs or bars were open during daylight hours. Unshaven, loosely showered and clothes looking like a second-hand advertisement, Steve looked like suburban death.

Locking the door behind him, Steve walked out onto the street and down towards the closest bus stop. Checking he had enough change, Steve sat on the bench, waiting for his transport to Scilab. As he saw it coming in the distance, he got back up and waited for the people to come off first, most of which stayed away from the "bum", as one person whispered. Steve took his seat and looked out the window. I hope he's still there.

>>> To Science Labs: Analysis >>>
>>> From Science Labs: Analysis >>>

The cab abruptly came to a halt in front of Steve's house. Keep the change, he told the driver as he passed him the remains of what was in his pocket.

So it was Recon.

This makes no sense.

Recon died with all the others. You had four deletion ceremonies along with two funerals. They offered you another life. You stayed where the memories weren't a burden.

As he played the events of his life back to himself inside his head, he made his way towards the front steps.

No.

Wait.

As Steve looked at the ground, he noticed two lone drops of what could only be... blood.

He glanced at the door handle. It looked old and run down, but two new splinters meant that somebody had tampered with it.

This was bad.

Pulling his knife out of its pocket again, Steve slowly crept towards the door.

He slowly climbed the stairs.

Click.

Steve froze and practically dropped a brick there and then. All the training in the world and he'd forgotten the basics. And now it was going to cost him. His face turned white.

He looked down at the stair. He knew what he had heard wasn't his imagination. Stupid, STUPID! You just expect to get away from this madness?!

He remembered the conversaton earlier.

I didn't think I was worth blowing up...

...that attitude will get you killed. We made a lot of friends, but even more enemies by comparison.

A weird sound suddenly came from his other pocket. Very slowly, his hand slid into said pocket and pulled out the phone Nick had given him earlier. He pressed the answer button and put the phone to his ear. ........Hello?

YOU'LL ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE, a computer-altered voice replied. PUT BOTH FEET ON THE STAIR AND TURN AROUND.

Gazing around to see anybody looking his direction, Steve did as he was instructed. Who are you? he asked.

MY IDENTITY IS NOT IMPORTANT, came back the reply. JUMP TO THE LEFT AS FAR AS YOU CAN AND HOPE TO GOD THAT YOU SURVIVE THIS. The phone suddenly went dead.

Steve looked to the left side of his front yard. And here I was thinking I might have a good day, he whined before putting all his energy into his legs and throwing himself forward.

Kaboom.

The house instantly lit up in a blaze of orange and white, the resulting force sending Steve flying over the fence and into oncoming traffic. Cars began to collide and crash as the drivers swerved to avoid his unconscious body. Metal into metal, the cars formed an almost complete circle of debris around him.

A white van swung out from around the corner, and parked as close to the mess as possible...

>>> To ??? >>>