My game idea

Well, having a slowdown stops any possibility for multiplayer.

Although, I was thinking of having a "concentrate" button, which makes your draw mana very slowly. It would be used for complex magic, such as portals, or reviving fallen party members or something.

This game I was thinking of though, won't be only magic. I was thinking of having normal attack and defend on the Z and X buttons, while your three elements on A S and D, while moving with the arrow keys. (concentrate button could be shift or something).
Would be interesting...I had some list of magic combination (Names only) for this one RP my friend was working on >_>;;

You wanna take a look at it?

((Also, I think it's a pretty good idea^^))
well, there is really no need until I start (if I start) to make the real game. This is only an example.
umm. I have another idea. Instead of just drawing mana out and let magic be a free task, keep the mana bar. But let players CREATE THEIR OWN ABILITYS/SPELLS. There would be an editor with things such as "weapon" and "element" and "shape" for starters. Like, instead of having a button for just a regular slash/combo, why not make your sword attacks that do fire damage? You can charge more elemental energy in an attack the more your charge skill is. Like, with a charge skill of 15, you can charge 6 pieces of element in your attack. So you can make a "Flaming tri-arrows on a LV.3 waterfall" spell or something.Of corse, there's not toal freedom, like you can say "slash and hold that pose while I spin you 360" effects (because that's just silly). But instead you see a little window were your character performs that action against training dummys/platforms. And everything can become an ability. So you can change the normal jump into a flip-kick.

I made up such a system when thinking on a kind of platformer that was based on ghaving no story whatsoever and it's characters forcing themselves not to have a story.
But, that doesn't adress the orignal problem at all. Premaking the spells won't make magic less dull in-game. What you are promosing sounds more like a remade crafting system.

The thing I was talking about in my first post. Pressing "1" for the fireball and "2" for the frostbolt won't be fun, even if you made the fireball and the frostbolt spells yourself.
I was just posting up mine. And I do have somewhat of an Idea...why not combine the two?
ofcourse, don't take criticism of your idea for critivism of you.

How are you to combine them? You premake spells AND make them on the fly? Please explain more.
I say they make their spells and have the ability to store them to their controllers, or to their keyboard, that way, each player would have a completely differing spell-set.

This reminds me of Spellcraft more than anything else, though.

But anyway, pre-made spells placed upon keys, then you could also make spells on the fly, although these spells would usually be less effective due to the amount of time you'd need to make it.

Possibly you could increase the speed of the bar in-battle if you wished.

Upgrades could lengthen your preparation bar, allowing you to cast more and more powerful spells.

Quote (EonOmega)

although these spells would usually be less effective due to the amount of time you'd need to make it.

Unless saved spells took as much time as those made on the fly.
No, what I ment was, You make the spells for certain power levels, and then it goes. For example: you can make a spell that usues alot of fire, but ends in a water attack for good measure, and you can set it to (85%-90% fire and 10%-15% water) and when you get in that range, BOOM, there's your custom spell. Premades would be for noobs who don't like to take time off their hands to actually customize their gaming experiance.