Bloodsong: The Unsung

The moment was interrupted by a fully armored man bursting in the front door, scattering people and pushing customers out of his way as he makes his way towards Sal, who glares.

"I need six healing potions and four flasks of alchemist's fire, right now!" He bellows. "The piggarts are coming closer! What are you waiting for? Move your ass, old fart!"

Rothensal's glare gets worse and worse, and finally he turns and goes to fetch a box of potions, as if he has all the time in the world.
"Hello heavily armored friend, are you the captain of the forces fighting on the coast?" Wooga said to the heavily armored man. He looked around, everyone seemed some type of tense. Especially the captain, from his earlier words, his forces must have been pushed back at some point. Those Orcs seemed to be better then the soliders they kept sending to the coastline. "You seem strong enough to be a Captain. Me, I'm a lowly Rogue trying to make a living. You shouldn't make friendships with a rogue like me. Especially when he thinks theres a conspiracy behind this attack on the Orcs along the Coastline."

((Gather Information +2, Diplomacy +2))
Rogue isn't an occupation, stupid.

"A failed pre-emptive strike, hence the healing potions, fool," said the 'captain' irritably. "There were Orcs coming dangerously close to the city walls. They were near the old ruins to the south. I don't know what they were after. We led a pre-emptive strike but they somehow overwhelmed us. For Pelor's sake, old man, is your arthritis rendering you immobile, or do you always show this respect to those who defend your way of life?"
"Defense?" Marco looked the man up and down. Impressive armor. Strange definitions, though. "You mentioned 'piggarts.' I'll assume that you are referring to those of orcish descent..."

"Now, I have been charged to end the orc conflict by my order. Pray tell, what have these orcs been doing, to merit such a desperate measure as a rushed preemptive strike?"

For it surely had to have been rushed, if all the man was demanding were half a dozen healing potions. That either meant that the captain led less than a dozen men--or there were less than a dozen survivors.

Either way, Marco doubted the effectiveness of this 'captain.'

((Gather Info +2, Diplo +4, Sense Motive +6))
Time passed, and conversations went steadily within the apothecary, but still yet, Grakkas found little with which to safely occupy himself.

Grakkas muttered to himself grumpily, still disturbed at his own inability to aquire any sort of decent drink in the village. "I'm beginning to hate it in this city. I know we were told to evacuate the coastal area, since it was likely humans would be looking for the orcs that inhabited the region once the attack is repelled, but damn. If it's this hard just to get some alcohol uninterrupted, I hate to think of how it's going to be when I actually need to find a place to sleep!" he growled, banging his fist against the glass in front of the window and clenching his teeth hard. He was alarmed, however, to realize that he still had a bola clenched tightly in his fist that he was rolling in one hand in his bored state.

((Rolling for bola hit to window, just trying to get something stirring here, perhaps. XD))
The bolas bounce off the glass harmlessly. Grakas' fist hurts.

He suddenly notices the fully armed soldier bustle past him, and six more wounded soldiers mumbling secretively to each other, slumped against a nearby wall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I don't need a reason to kill piggarts," snarled the captain. "They told me not to let any of them close to the city, so what do I do? I try not to let any of 'em close to the city. But my idiot men were too girlish to let their swords get bloody, so now here we are letting some other chump get all the action while I tend to the six morons who got themselves seriously hurt."

Marco detects nothing fishy about the captain himself, and the captain is telling the truth.
Grakas' pride was injured more than his hand, and he half and half wished he had broken the glass just so that he'd have a slight intimidation factor on the captain and his men. "They're probably fighting Orcs like all of the others, I assume," he grumbled, rubbing his chin slowly. "Not that I care. The sooner the orcs realize that an attack such as that is useless, the better... Who am I kidding? If the humans win out, it will be just the same as if the orcs won. Their motives are superiority and maintaining superiority, so a shift in the balance of power can't mean much to a half-orc," he sighed, looking at his coarse, grey hands irritably. "A half-orc is going to face trouble wherever he goes, whether in a human city or an orcish one," he muttered, frowning deeply and leaning back up against the wall.

His hand was still throbbing so he stuffed it into his pockets grumpily. "What a waste of a day this has been," he muttered, keeping his arms crossed across his chest.

((Listening -1, Sense Motive -1, both for commander... Such impressive wisdom, eh? -__-; ))
Grakas notices something happening inside, and listens at the windowsill, hearing everything that's said.
Some other chump-- Marco's eyes glinted. "So you aren't the only one assigned to protect this city from orc aggression?"

((Same relevant rolls...))
"You kidding?" Said the captain incredulously. "Practically everyone in the whole force has been called out! All they seem to be worried about is the Orcs now. No wonder, too-- the Orcs are starting to be a real problem. That's the closest they've gotten to the walls in-- I don't even know."
"A battle... now?" A sharp intake of breath. Marco glanced over at the shopkeeper again. His temperment, his actions... his alibi... I can't conclude that he's a Necromancer. Damnation-- Marco grasped his holy symbol, asking for guidance--

And he had it. Regardless, this "Sal" isn't going anywhere. Turning around abruptly, Marco stormed out of the shop--

((Natural Spot check, wounded soldiers))
Marco sees the wounded soldiers, only because it's hard to miss them. Some of them are bleeding, but none of them are dying.
"Huh. Nothing seems to be too serious..." Marco mutters, as he stops taking off his gaunlet. No point in wasting his divine ability--they were getting potions anyhow.

"You. There. Where are the orcs right now?" He points at one of the soldiers and asks.

((Gather Information +2))
The soldier actually grins at Marco's question. "They're outside the south gates, near the old ruins," he says happily, with a slightly strained voice. "You... you're a Paladin, aren't you? Go kill some piggarts for me!"
Another one of them... Public opinion sure has changed since I entered the Order... Marco reflects, as he thanks the soldier and heads off to the south gate.

Why am I any different? He questioned his own beliefs. Should I hate the orcs as much as the people I've seen thus far?

((Move to south gate. Natural Spot check for anything.))
The sun is starting to set. Smoke from torches can be seen, far in the distance.

There are two soldiers manning the gate. They are fully armored.
"I better be following this guy, he seems like someone who knows where to go." Wooga said as he gripped his glaive. He began to march out the door, hoping to keep close enough to Marco. Yet far enough away so that he couldn't be sensed by the paladin's natural senses.

((Rolls you see necessary.))
Wooga sees that the gate is guarded by two soldiers.
"Hail!" Marco calls out, holding his silver holy symbol above his head, letting what dim torchlight there was reflect off the surface. "I am a Paladin of the Platinum Dragon. What is going on at the ruins beyond?" He asked the soldiers, admiring the armor--

((Gather Info +2))
The fact that the Orcs were actually investigating the ruin doesn't seem to have occured to the guard in question.

"Uh, they-- the Orcs-- are marching towards the city," he said, a little puzzled. "I didn't hear about any ruins. All they told me was to guard the gates, because the Orcs were coming closer than ever before. I think there some soldiers sent to intercept them, but they came back to tend to the wounded."