I say we tweak the story and make it take place 300 years in the future, not 100. That way we can bypass the whole "Airbenders are minorities" Factor. Otherwise every airbender could say they're aang's grandkid.
Well, is Bending a genetic ability passed on from parents to children? The canon "legends" state that people learned bending from observing creatures or natural processes. As such, I figure that certain Non-Benders would be able to learn Air Bending if taught. My original proposition was that Aang began teaching people how to Air Bend in the hopes that they possessed the talent. I also added something to the fact that he found a few survivng Air Benders who had been cloistered in a secluded temple that was little known even before Sozin began his war. The group was small and ineffective in battle, but they made perfect teachers for those willing to learn the ways of the Air Nomad society and to attempt to learn Air Bending.
Yeah, but even so. We're still gonna get some jerkoffs who will try some crap like being a main character's grankid or great grandkid. As well, the newly established air nomads would still be a minority and a rather unstable society in general. The whole, "Oh, you weren't reaaally the last airbender aang!" seems kinda cheap.
Dont we have a "no descendant of main character" rule already anyway?

Aang was... "technically" the last airbender. Others may have had the talent, there was just simply noone to help realize them. There may also have been latent bloodlines and stuff... but yeah, they would be a minority to say the least. Then again, there are supposedly more earth kingdom citizens than fire/water guys I think... Just judging from the size of the cities and the continent.
I suppose... hm. Here's a thought. Due to the severe lack of air bending masters and the abundance of novices, the airbending style has gone under massive renovations as the free spirits of the air nomads are perfecting their style once more. As such, there are many new and different airbending styles and techniques being invented.
Discuss this in the storyboard section over at Four Nations, not here. D:<
Nevahs!